PDA

View Full Version : These kids are college STUDENT-athletes?

YoUDeeMan
April 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
How do these guys get passing grades in their high school and college classes? xeekx xnonono2x

Unfortunately, these types of quotes from the Memphis players have been in the papers all week. It is sad that people are graduating from college with such poor communication skills. xoopsx

"Tigers senior forward Joey Dorsey dropped to his knees after watching Chalmers hit the shot from the top of the arc that locked the score at 63-63 and sent the game into overtime.

"I was like, 'Man, I can't believe he hit that shot,' because I just knew we was ready to cut the nets down," he told reporters.

"When you're out there, it was tough because you're looking at the ball, you're looking at the rotation," Memphis guard Chris Douglas-Roberts added. "I seen it was going in. It hurt."

http://www.comcast.net/sports/articles/general/2008/03/16/SPORTS-BASKETBALL-NCAA-DC/

Touchdown Yosef
April 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Those quotes really aren't all that bad compared to some that you hear on post game press conferences.

I remember back around 2002 reading an article about a defensive lineman from Tenessee that graduated high school, college (UT), went on to a career in the NFL and several years into his pro career he admitted that he could not read. Yes he graduated from high school and college as an illiterate human being: graduated. Sad thing is I am sure he is far from the only one.

I went to high school with a kid that was an all american offensive lineman and I am still in shock that that kid graduated high school. At his ESPN press conference to announce where he would attend college he said "It took me 3 times, but I finally passed my SAT." He had scholarship offers from great schools accross the country.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Two words: John Calipari.

The countdown on an NCAA violation getting detected and him jumping from Memphis like the king rat that he is starts now. My pick for when he leaves is September 15th, 2008. Violation will be reported: September 4th.

xnodx

Purple Pride
April 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
They all sound like rocket scientists compared to Ms. SC.xlolx xthumbsupx

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1772684

terrierbob
April 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I remember George Rogers proudly saying he got up to an 8th grade reading level through remedial work at So. Car.

Appaholic
April 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
They all sound like rocket scientists compared to Ms. SC.xlolx xthumbsupx

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1772684

"Let's go for two......" - Bobby Lamb

DLS
April 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
"Let's go for two......" - Bobby Lamb

OH SNAP.

Rob Iola
April 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, and Gary Williams at Maryland not graduating any of his players (I don't think - at least none of his starters).

Look, this is what makes FCS football pretty special - just reading about the time management that the majority of the players engage in to keep up in class while practicing/traveling/playing with their team. They all know that once they graduate they'd better be ready for life after athletics...

CID1990
April 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
That reminds me of an interview Lorenzo Charles for NCSU gave to the media back when they beat UNC during the regular season, I think in 1983 or so.

He said that Coach Valvano told them that they would need to be faster than UNC to win. Charles said that after all was said and done, "...we was more swifter than they was." He said "swifter" like "swiffer."

I about laughed my a$$ off.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
That reminds me of an interview Lorenzo Charles for NCSU gave to the media back when they beat UNC during the regular season, I think in 1983 or so.

He said that Coach Valvano told them that they would need to be faster than UNC to win. Charles said that after all was said and done, "...we was more swifter than they was." He said "swifter" like "swiffer."

Ah yes, the dirty little secret about those Jim Valvano-coached teams that gets little scrutny. Great "citizens" like Charles and (my personal favorite) Charles Shackleford, the architect of the point-shaving scandal that brought down Valvano and the NCSU program.

Everyone remembers him looking for someone to hug; nobody remembers Mr. Shackleford.

andy7171
April 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, and Gary Williams at Maryland not graduating any of his players (I don't think - at least none of his starters).

Look, this is what makes FCS football pretty special - just reading about the time management that the majority of the players engage in to keep up in class while practicing/traveling/playing with their team. They all know that once they graduate they'd better be ready for life after athletics...

In defense of Gary Williams graduation rate, all his starters are playing in the NBA or over in Europe making much much more than your average college graduate.

And if you guys think that "dumb jocks" are exclusive to FBS schools you only kidding yourselves.

bandl
April 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
In defense of Gary Williams graduation rate, all his starters are playing in the NBA or over in Europe making much much more than your average college graduate.

And if you guys think that "dumb jocks" are exclusive to FBS schools you only kidding yourselves.

Folks is freakin', yo. Lay it to the bones, homes. xnodx

ElonPride
April 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Wasn't it an NC State players that said "I'm amphibious, I can shoot with both hands."

jstclmet
April 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Granted, the vocab (in the heat of the moment) wasn't the greatest, but have you ever been in the world of I.T. (Information Technology). I changed careers about 10 yrs ago leaving the Insurance industry for the sanctity and quiet of a PC (or so I thought). To put it nicely, the people in I.T. do not fare well when talking to large groups. Their writings are even worse. I'm no Rhodes scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but I was told I had to "Dumb down" my memo's.

My reply was...."but isn't everyone hear a college grad??"

Give the kids a break, not everyone can be an English professor, and you'd be surprised at who's leading Corporate America. He/She probably has a very good assistant cleaning up whatever it is they're trying to say.xnodx

andy7171
April 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
...."but isn't everyone hear a college grad??"

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
April 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM

xoutofrepx

eaglesrthe1
April 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I had a co-worker, upon feeling a pain in his shoulder proclaim, " I think I hurt my potato cup."

HIU 93
April 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM

REP!!!!

Touchdown Yosef
April 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM
This one still scares me when I think about it and is what is really scary is that most people have met someone who has at one point in time believed this.

I knew a girl in high school who was in all the advanced classes, got good grades and was the typical high school student who studied what was on the test very hard and grades really mattered to her. (I imagine ms. teen sc was a similar type situation)

Somehow in conversation the location of Hawaii and Alaska came up and she boldly stated that they were both located next to each other just off the coast of florida. I am shaking my head even now, oh the product of Charlotte-Meck public schools.

This wise young woman went to an ACC school and is gainfully employed at the moment.

HIU 93
April 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM
How do these guys get passing grades in their high school and college classes? xeekx xnonono2x

Unfortunately, these types of quotes from the Memphis players have been in the papers all week. It is sad that people are graduating from college with such poor communication skills. xoopsx

"Tigers senior forward Joey Dorsey dropped to his knees after watching Chalmers hit the shot from the top of the arc that locked the score at 63-63 and sent the game into overtime.
[/url]

Joey Dorsey is the first in his family to graduate from high school. This summer he will graduate from college. Douglas-Roberts has a 3.2 GPA. It seems that these young men are doing what you closeted, right wing, John Birch Society members always say they should- seize opportunities. It's just interesting that when young Black men seize these opportunities for education, they are somehow bad guys. If these were white boys from the sticks who had nothing and subsequently succeeded in college, you would say they were acheiving the American Dream. Since they are Black men, you assume they are some sort of thugs or criminals.

eaglesrthe1
April 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
This one still scares me when I think about it and is what is really scary is that most people have met someone who has at one point in time believed this.

I knew a girl in high school who was in all the advanced classes, got good grades and was the typical high school student who studied what was on the test very hard and grades really mattered to her. (I imagine ms. teen sc was a similar type situation)

Somehow in conversation the location of Hawaii and Alaska came up and she boldly stated that they were both located next to each other just off the coast of florida. I am shaking my head even now, oh the product of Charlotte-Meck public schools.

This wise young woman went to an ACC school and is gainfully employed at the moment.

It makes you wonder if the source of her information was a wall map, with a little box in the lower right with Hawaii and Alaska in it.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Joey Dorsey is the first in his family to graduate from high school. This summer he will graduate from college. Douglas-Roberts has a 3.2 GPA. It seems that these young men are doing what you closeted, right wing, John Birch Society members always say they should- seize opportunities. It's just interesting that when young Black men seize these opportunities for education, they are somehow bad guys. If these were white boys from the sticks who had nothing and subsequently succeeded in college, you would say they were acheiving the American Dream. Since they are Black men, you assume they are some sort of thugs or criminals.

If these UMemphis athletes were actually seizing the opportunity for education, that would be one thing. But it's far from clear that they are doing so. You could rightfully say of Memphis' basketball team: "what graduation rate?" They are as bad as UNLV was back in the day.

And, yes, when Christian Peter was quoting wrestlers in his postgame press conferences at Nebraska, raped someone and was signed by the Giants, I was near the first in line to excoriate everyone involved.

jonmac
April 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
OK 93, I'll take the bait. I don't recall the post infering that they are thugs or criminals, just that it's strange that they graduated high school and are student-athletes at a University and haven't seemed to grasp appropriate verb usage. I know plenty of white students who use the same verbage and I am just as confused as to how they pass their English classes. And it is great that the guys are seizing their opportunities but don't you think they should make the most of it? It just makes me wonder what kind of students they are and maybe more importantly, what kind of system has allowed this. Bottom line, it doesn't mean they are thugs or criminals.

Touchdown Yosef
April 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
It makes you wonder if the source of her information was a wall map, with a little box in the lower right with Hawaii and Alaska in it.

yea, that is exactly what she thought. Evidently in her mind it snows quite a bit off the coast of sunny and flat Florida.

HIU 93
April 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
If these UMemphis athletes were actually seizing the opportunity for education, that would be one thing. But it's far from clear that they are doing so. You could rightfully say of Memphis' basketball team: "what graduation rate?" They are as bad as UNLV was back in the day.

And, yes, when Christian Peter was quoting wrestlers in his postgame press conferences at Nebraska, raped someone and was signed by the Giants, I was near the first in line to excoriate everyone involved.

Joey Dorsey is on track to graduate this summer, as stated in my post. That's pretty good for a kid from B'more who grew up RIDICULOUSLY poor and whose father disappeared until he began to be a good college ball player. Did I also mention that NO ONE in Dorsey's family other than him has actually graduated from high school? However, because he breaks a verb or two, he is ignorant and incapable of earning a college degree?

Doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but who am I? I only spent years as a teacher, so what I say about education means nothing.

AZGrizFan
April 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I remember reading that Michael Ray Richardson, upon graduating from the University of Montana, had the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

AZGrizFan
April 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Joey Dorsey is on track to graduate this summer, as stated in my post. That's pretty good for a kid from B'more who grew up RIDICULOUSLY poor and whose father disappeared until he began to be a good college ball player. Did I also mention that NO ONE in Dorsey's family other than him has actually graduated from high school? However, because he breaks a verb or two, he is ignorant and incapable of earning a college degree?

Doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but who am I? I only spent years as a teacher, so what I say about education means nothing.

So his father was Bobby Bouche's father? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
April 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM

"I was like, 'Man, I can't believe he hit that shot,' because I just knew we was ready to cut the nets down," he told reporters.

"When you're out there, it was tough because you're looking at the ball, you're looking at the rotation," Memphis guard Chris Douglas-Roberts added. "I seen it was going in. It hurt."

http://www.comcast.net/sports/articles/general/2008/03/16/SPORTS-BASKETBALL-NCAA-DC/

I see SO MUCH WORSE on this board, that I'll give these fellas a pass. There are some on this board that make these guys look like Einstein.

Appinator
April 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
yea, that is exactly what she thought. Evidently in her mind it snows quite a bit off the coast of sunny and flat Florida.

It's crazy how even simple geography can stump some people.

My favorite quote from last season was from a defensive lineman who played for the Dolphins. He was on a radio show in south Florida, and was asked what he thought about the up-coming trip to London to play the Giants, when he said something to the tune of "I really have never heard of London, and I couldn't even point it out on a map. I know London Fletcher of the Redskins, but that’s about it."

Even the Kornheiser and Wilbon were making fun of him on PTI.

andy7171
April 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Frederick Douglass HS! I try to avoid driving through Mondawmin.

It's crazy how even simple geography can stump some people.

My favorite quote from last season was from a defensive lineman who played for the Dolphins. He was on a radio show in south Florida, and was asked what he thought about the up-coming trip to London to play the Giants, when he said something to the tune of "I really have never heard of London, and I couldn't even point it out on a map. I know London Fletcher of the Redskins, but that’s about it."

Even the Kornheiser and Wilbon were making fun of him on PTI.

That story went through the wringer here on AGS this past season.

Franks Tanks
April 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I understand that in this case they are athletes, but I can guarantee there are plenty of regular students at Memphis and other schools that are just as bad or worse than these young men. Many regular students these days have no business being in college, it is just not the athletes. Also these guys could be relatively smart, they sometimes just revert back to the "street" vernacular they grew up with.

HIU 93
April 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Frederick Douglass HS! I try to avoid driving through Mondawmin.

That's my point! For a kid from Westside, especially over by Mondawnin, to even leave Baltimore headed for somewhere other than Jessup is an accomplishment. I don't think these people realize what Westside is like, let alone going to Mondawmin. Crackheads and dopefiends begging for change IN THE MALL. People have no idea.

HIU 93
April 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
U of M kids break a few verbs and it is the downfall of western civilization, but no one has even mentioned this...wonder why?

http://www.local6.com/news/15817493/detail.html

Franks Tanks
April 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
U of M kids break a few verbs and it is the downfall of western civilization, but no one has even mentioned this...wonder why?

The suburban kids just have enough money to have the proper equipment to actually film their beatings.

andy7171
April 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
The suburban kids just have enough money to have the proper equipment to actually film their beatings.

xoutofrepx

fjblair
April 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Who cares how they speak? I don't see the connection between speech and student-athlete. It's just a reflection of environment. Just like valley girls, country folks and yankees. We all use different vernaculars.

jstclmet
April 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Ok, ya got me. Typing fast while @ work. My bad. xbowx

AppAlum2003
April 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM

"Oh my gosh, I'm surrounded by imbeciles!"
-Guy that sits next to jstclmet

xlolx

andy7171
April 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I couldn't resist. :D :D

Franks Tanks
April 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I thought you did it on purpose for some great tongue in cheek humor--you should have claimed it was intentional and we would have believed you.

Hoyadestroya85
April 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Bob Huggins is far worse...

boonegoon
April 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I see SO MUCH WORSE on this board, that I'll give these fellas a pass. There are some on this board that make these guys look like Einstein.

Oh, how true. I'm no Hemmingway but some of these guys shouldn't throw stones..:o

CCU97
April 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM

HIU,

I actually live in Atl but there has been no press on this...you pointing it out is the first I have seen of it. Hopefully the kids who did this will be spending many years behind bars....I would go even as far to say that if I was prosecuting this case I might would go for attempted murder or lynching as charges as well. What is wrong with kids today?

McNeese_beat
April 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I know some fairly smart people who have a hard time dropping the "ignorant sounding" aspects of their dialect — whether that dialect be black, rural Southern, N'Awlins West Bank "Yat," New York, Boston, etc.

So I'm not going to judge these guys. The NBA will put them in PR classes and clean up their language skills, I'm sure.

But funny story and, by all accounts, it's true:
Future FCS member Lamar once had a basketball player at a press conference who was asked if he was majoring in physical education.

His answer: "No, I'm majoring in H and P.E."

RadMann
April 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I think that examples such as this point to a bigger reality, namely the fact that we need more minor leagues to feed pro sports. Currently the minor league role for most sports is filled by NCAA athletics. The problem with this fact is that some high school athletes who might be amazing athletes no matter their race might not be college level students. I give pro baseball credit for having a minor league system to develop talent. Baseball talents who are also good students can go the college route and then the minor leagues, whereas high school baseball stars have the option to go straight to the minors if they are not academically inclined to attend college. The other pro sports rely on colleges, and the schools rely on the athletes to make money. I don't "blame" the young person if he/she is not academically qualified for college, but instead the universities have a lot to answer for.

Note, in the paragraph above I am talking generalities. I do not think it is necessarily fair to judge a person's qualifications for college on a few misstatements and incorrect word usages. Then again if you get out in the business world and you don't use the correct verb usage or tenses you are going to have problems.

Pattycakes
April 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM

It would be interesting to see what their majors are.

AZGrizFan
April 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Never "assume", 93. All he asked was about thier use of the English language. He never said word one about them being thugs or criminals.

turfdoc
April 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Should have taken credit for the "hear" typo as a joke..... I did until you fessed up

I can tell many of you here do not have the pleasure of working with current students. A masters student in my lab consistently makes grammatical errors when speaking, at work. Her written work is immaculate, concise and to the point. On top of that her emails are almost unintelligible (we are working on that).

My girlfriend a very educated and successful person consistently makes grammatical errors in her speech, still one of the best editors I have. Public speaking is a skill and a practiced art, expect people to revert to sounding like they did when they were preteens when a micrphone is shoved in their face.

Bobby Hanson (Commentator for the Utah Jazz for many years) once had over 20 huhs and 15 yano's in a 30 second interview when he was in college

appstate38
April 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Wasn't it an NC State players that said "I'm amphibious, I can shoot with both hands."

That player was Charles Shackleford. Man I can still remember that....LOL

YoUDeeMan
April 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Leave it to WHIU 93FM to continue his broadcast of racial hate and hyperbole.

Several posters pointed out that some folks go back to their regular patterns of speech when in front of a microphone...not a bad explanation. But 93, he goes right for the racial aspect in every post.

Racist clown. xnonox

Who cares what color someone is when they sound uneducated? White, black, pink, or blue, the sound is the same...simply awful. A degree won't matter much if they blurt out those same errors in a job interview.

And, the teachers that look the other way when students continue to display such poor grammar...they are part of the problem. xnodx

Za-KEE-uS
April 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I guess you've never heard our president speak.

seantaylor
April 9th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Memphis is a bunch of mercs. A bunch of those players shouldn't be eligible.

http://uofmtigers.blogspot.com/2007/09/from-abc-24-in-memphis-tigers-players.html

GeauxLions94
April 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I know some fairly smart people who have a hard time dropping the "ignorant sounding" aspects of their dialect — whether that dialect be black, rural Southern, N'Awlins West Bank "Yat," New York, Boston, etc.

So I'm not going to judge these guys. The NBA will put them in PR classes and clean up their language skills, I'm sure.

But funny story and, by all accounts, it's true:
Future FCS member Lamar once had a basketball player at a press conference who was asked if he was majoring in physical education.

His answer: "No, I'm majoring in H and P.E."

Please say his coach at the time was Billy Tubbs. Rep points for you.

McNeese_beat
April 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Please say his coach at the time was Billy Tubbs. Rep points for you.

I would say it was the late 70s, very early 80s, so I'm guessing it was the Tubbs era. May have been Pat Foster, but I'm pretty sure Tubbs would have still been there.

It was back in the day when Lamar could hide the dummies in the Vo-Tech curriculum and still be within NCAA rules.

grizband
April 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM

To answer the earlier question about their majors:
Joey Dorsey: Interdisciplinary Studies
Chris Douglas Roberts: Sport and Leisure Management