PDA

View Full Version : Early Scouting Report on Elon

paward
April 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Ok SoCon people what is the skinny on Elon? We have them first game and it would be interesting to hear your take on them. We played Wofford last year and they were tough. How do they compare!

Eyes of Old Main
April 5th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Elon will be totally different that Wofford in that they pass the ball about as much as we run it. They should be good, but they'll have expectations this year which they did not have last year. It should be a good matchup.

blueballs
April 6th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Elon brings back pretty much their whole team from last year and have no less than two serious all american candidates in the QB Riddle and WR Hudgens (sp?). They are loaded especially offensively and extremely well coached.

I expect them to be ranked in the top 15 in the initial polls and be a serious playoff contender that may be capable of a run if thigs go right for them. You'll have your hands full with them regardless of who your team is, especially if you play them at their place.

BTW, they have a nice new stadium too.

PaladinFan
April 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Last year they didn't play defense (which is converse to years past when they ONLY played defense).

I can tell you this, Elon's Hudgins was about the best opposing player I've personally seen in Paladin Stadium. And their quarterback knows how to find him.

We had pretty good success pressuring Riddle. Furman was up about 20 at the half but with their offense, they can score and score quickly. Best bet is to grind the ball and keep Riddle and Hudgins off the field and give your defense a breather.

phoenix3
April 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Yep. That pressure yielded 534 net yards passing for Riddle. Hudgins had 16 catches for 207 yards. Three of our receivers had over 100 yards in receipts that day. Our weakness was key injuries on defense and no depth there. oh, and one hell of a fullback named Felton. You did have 3 int. against us.

paward
April 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Thank you all for the insight. We know it will be a great test for both teams to open the seaons. It is scary starting the seaon off with a SoCon team. I hope we will be up to the task. I will go to the boro Sept 13 to see Northeastern take on GSU. This game will be a fight as well.

gophoenix
April 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
We played defense, just not at the end of the year with all the injuries. Liberty only scored 14, Wofford scored 13 and South Florida only scored 28. It also depends on the type of team we played. Some teams matched up well with us, others didn't.

PaladinFan
April 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yep. That pressure yielded 534 net yards passing for Riddle. Hudgins had 16 catches for 207 yards. Three of our receivers had over 100 yards in receipts that day. Our weakness was key injuries on defense and no depth there. oh, and one hell of a fullback named Felton. You did have 3 int. against us.

Riddle also threw the ball 52 times, was sacked four times and picked off three times. Considering the Phoenix managed a whopping 16 yards rushing on 24 attempts I'm not surprised Riddle had a career day.

Fact remains, Elon had an explosive offense. Furman held that offense in check for a half (24-7 at the break). Elon had absolutely no answer for Felton or any of the other 10 players on offense.

terrierbob
April 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Well, since those in the know say this is our best OL in ten years, our hope is to grind it out and keep Riddle on the sidelines.

CID1990
April 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Lookit, for the 100th time, don't blame injuries.

You guys have a great team, that's certain. Elon fans came on here and blamed injuries in the defense in the loss to The Citadel. That's a cop out wimp ass excuse. Injuries are part of the game. Avoiding injuries is a function of athleticism, and if a team is beat up near the end of a season, then they were not athletic or resilient enough, and that is part of being a good team.

Duran Lawson went down in the Georgia Southern game. If El Cid fans came on here and blamed that for the loss, then I didn't see it. Instead, many of us chalked it up to Jayson Foster's presence more than Lawson's absence. The next week we played ASU and lost. This was not because of Duran's absence. In fact, I think Bart Blanchard actually matched up better with the ASU defense than Duran would have. The following week was the Elon game. Had we lost that game, it would have been because of the presence of Riddle and Hudgins, not the absence of Lawson.

Elon is going to be in the hunt this year I think, but it will be a tougher row to hoe because they are not going to sneak up on anyone.

terrierbob
April 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM

You guys have a great team, that's certain. Elon fans came on here and blamed injuries in the defense in the loss to The Citadel. That's a cop out wimp ass excuse. Injuries are part of the game. Avoiding injuries is a function of athleticism, and if a team is beat up near the end of a season, then they were not athletic or resilient enough, and that is part of being a good team.

Duran Lawson went down in the Georgia Southern game. If El Cid fans came on here and blamed that for the loss, then I didn't see it. Instead, many of us chalked it up to Jayson Foster's presence more than Lawson's absence. The next week we played ASU and lost. This was not because of Duran's absence. In fact, I think Bart Blanchard actually matched up better with the ASU defense than Duran would have. The following week was the Elon game. Had we lost that game, it would have been because of the presence of Riddle and Hudgins, not the absence of Lawson.

Elon is going to be in the hunt this year I think, but it will be a tougher row to hoe because they are not going to sneak up on anyone.

xthumbsupx

gophoenix
April 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Who's blaming anything for a loss. All I said was, last year, there was a difference between start and the end as someone said we had no defense. And you Citadel and Furman fans who seem to get your panties in a knot every time we talk about the game simply base your views off two end of season games, both on the road for us. We had injuries. In fact, we had about 11 injuries on defense. And we weren't deep enough on defense to overcome them last year. End of story. No excuses, just the simple truth. Lembo hasn't been there long enough to fill in a proper team since Paul Hamilton couldnt recruit.

The Richmond fan here is asking about the matchup for the first game, which will be virtually injury free (or I hope it is), so comparing an injury filled defense at the end of the year to the non-injury filled defense from the beginning aren't giving this guy what he's asking for.

I am starting to agree with citdog, it is just too hard for the "old guard" not to just come in an trash talk the up and comers.

So Furman fans, go ahead and talk. You don't have Felton this year and that should worry you. Because last year's game wasn't about not having an answer for 11 guys on your offense. If was about not having an answer for Felton. And now, he's gone.

Elon Fightin' Christians
April 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Last year our DEF was extremely young and extremely beat up. We have almost everyone back on both sides of the ball and on Spec teams for '08. We should have a real strong team this year.

That game on AUG 30 should be great. Two great teams.

GO FIGHTIN' CHRISTIANS !!!!!!

elonballer
April 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Elon- 4th in scoring defense in the socon.

Furman- 6th in scoring defense.

stonywolf
April 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM
they are a good team.

Obviously, their offense speaks for themselves, but their defense is very young and pretty fast. Most of the players last year on D were like sophmores.

paward
April 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
How will the coaches change effect them?

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Who's blaming anything for a loss. All I said was, last year, there was a difference between start and the end as someone said we had no defense. And you Citadel and Furman fans who seem to get your panties in a knot every time we talk about the game simply base your views off two end of season games, both on the road for us. We had injuries. In fact, we had about 11 injuries on defense. And we weren't deep enough on defense to overcome them last year. End of story. No excuses, just the simple truth. Lembo hasn't been there long enough to fill in a proper team since Paul Hamilton couldnt recruit.

The Richmond fan here is asking about the matchup for the first game, which will be virtually injury free (or I hope it is), so comparing an injury filled defense at the end of the year to the non-injury filled defense from the beginning aren't giving this guy what he's asking for.

I am starting to agree with citdog, it is just too hard for the "old guard" not to just come in an trash talk the up and comers.

So Furman fans, go ahead and talk. You don't have Felton this year and that should worry you. Because last year's game wasn't about not having an answer for 11 guys on your offense. If was about not having an answer for Felton. And now, he's gone.

Elon made it close and I commend them for that. It was a lot closer than it should have been. I, however, am not drinking the Phoenix playoff kool-aid just yet.

phoenix3
April 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
How will the coaches change effect them?

I'm assuming you're talking about the change in the OC. It's hard to say at this point. Some say that the new OC from a gameplan perspective is a clone of Ruggiero. I personally would like to see a slightly greater emphasis on the ground game but as of now he is pretty much an unknown quantity.

Let me toss that question back at you. How is the team responding to Coach London? Did he bring in a totally new staff?

phoenix3
April 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM

You outplayed Elon last year, no doubt. You deserved to win. I'm not trying to take anything away from your team. Injuries are a part of the game and I don't disagree with anything you said. If we had brought an injury free team to play you and you had an injury free team, especially Lawson, I don't know that the outcome would have been any different. This was not an excuse for losing. Just a comment.

In fact, you have had our number now for the past several years. I just hope we can change that this year!

gophoenix
April 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Elon made it close and I commend them for that. It was a lot closer than it should have been. I, however, am not drinking the Phoenix playoff kool-aid just yet.

What kool-aid? It's no different than saying Furman will make the playoffs. There are too many good programs in the SoCon now. GSU, Furman and App fans are going to have to get used to Wofford, The Citadel and Elon being dangerous and having as good a shot as them in making the playoffs.

Millwoch
April 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
My take:

Elon will be in the top 1/2 of the Socon next year. Before you Phoenix fans jump on me, I am not sure if it will be #2 or #5. The Socon will be very competitive. Appy, FU, Woffy, GSU, El Cid, and Elon in no particular order can win the entire thing or fall flat on their face.

Hudgins is the best 1-2 players in the league, and demands double coverage. He is the one player that will play at the next level in our conference barring injury. He is a stud.

Riddle, accurate and very strong arm. He got a little rattle at times with the pass rush the game I saw him in last year, but his numbers were as good an anyone in the league. If you can pressure him he can be controlled.

They need some threat of a running game(they do not have to run the ball like Woffy or Appy or GSU, just have the treat to keep the D's more honest with the pass rush). If they can acheive this, look out, they will be good. I personally do not think that they will acheive this, and therefore will struggle some, but who won't.

I think their D will improve, but I do not have personal knowledge of who is returning etc. All the teams in the socon are making a move to be faster on the defensive side of the ball. It will be interesting to see the result. Offenses dominated the stats across the board in the Socon last year and I think that will continue.

I will be pulling for the phoenix in this one and Hope the socon wins all its out of conference schedule.

eaglesrthe1
April 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;913555]

What kool-aid? It's no different than saying Furman will make the playoffs. There are too many good programs in the SoCon now. GSU, Furman and App fans are going to have to get used to Wofford, The Citadel and Elon being dangerous and having as good a shot as them in making the playoffs.

I think most are already used to seeing Wofford. As for Elon and The Citadel, least make it happen first. Then we'll see if we can get used to it.xeyebrowx

OL FU
April 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM

The Military College of South Carolina, represented by citdog and Furman University, represented by OL FU are the Old Guard. xeyebrowx

The rest of you are absolute newbies by comparisonxlolx

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM

No one is saying you don't have a shot at the playoffs. Elon surprised a great many people last year. However, I don't think the "old guard" is trashtalking anyone.

Richmond fella wants to know how good your team is. I think most fans here (not associated with Elon) are saying the exact same thing. We've all seen your team play. The Phoneix held only one conference team to under 30 points (WCU score 36!). You have some defensive issues.

Again, like everyone says, Elon can be very good. They have offensive weapons. Need to establish a running game and play better defense in 2008. No one here is saying Elon won't be a solid team. But I think everyone here is giving a pretty honest assessment of what we saw.

WVAPPmountaineer
April 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Simple answer - not only for Richmond but everyone Elon plays - IF they find a running game WATCHOUT!!! They were a very good offense when they were one-dimensional ---

OL FU
April 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;913605]

No one is saying you don't have a shot at the playoffs. Elon surprised a great many people last year. However, I don't think the "old guard" is trashtalking anyone.

Richmond fella wants to know how good your team is. I think most fans here (not associated with Elon) are saying the exact same thing. We've all seen your team play. The Phoneix held only one conference team to under 30 points (WCU score 36!). You have some defensive issues.

Again, like everyone says, Elon can be very good. They have offensive weapons. Need to establish a running game and play better defense in 2008. No one here is saying Elon won't be a solid team. But I think everyone here is giving a pretty honest assessment of what we saw.

Me thinks some of the poster's concern that their team does not get respect has more to do with being tired of how long they haven't deserved itxnodx

With that said, I personally think Elon is one of the teams to watch in 2008. They were within points of being a playoff team last year (of course two other teams could claim the same thing) and they were very very very young. Considering they lost their senior QB before the first snap, their season was pretty amazing. My initial pre-season take would put them in slot 2 or 3 in the conference

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;913737]

Me thinks some of the poster's concern that their team does not get respect has more to do with being tired of how long they haven't deserved itxnodx

With that said, I personally think Elon is one of the teams to watch in 2008. They were within points of being a playoff team last year (of course two other teams could claim the same thing) and they were very very very young. Considering they lost their senior QB before the first snap, their season was pretty amazing. My initial pre-season take would put them in slot 2 or 3 in the conference

So in the ever growing group somewhere better than Western and not quite as good as App?

OL FU
April 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;913737]

So in the ever growing group somewhere better than Western and not quite as good as App?

Well if it works like last year, then that would be the correct answer:)

paward
April 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the change in the OC. It's hard to say at this point. Some say that the new OC from a gameplan perspective is a clone of Ruggiero. I personally would like to see a slightly greater emphasis on the ground game but as of now he is pretty much an unknown quantity.

Let me toss that question back at you. How is the team responding to Coach London? Did he bring in a totally new staff?
From what I have been told the players love Coach London. They had a good relationship with Clawson, however he was very business like. London being a former player and spider makes it all the easier to have open dialogue with more imput. One thought comes to mind. He allowed the players to pick the new uniforms. They hated the old ones. I do not understand the difference but they feel good about being asked to pick them and the top vote getter from the team won. I think what you will see on the field this year is a great combination of both coaches. Clawson recruited them and now it is London job to fine tune them. The coaching staff retained maybe five of them the rest are new.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Now I agree Citadel and Elon have improved, but they are not at a Wofford level yet and I certainly wouldn't say that year in and year out they have as good a shot at the playoffs as the Big 3.

Elon has to travel to Statesboro, Charleston, and Boone which are tough places to win, but they do have a weak OOC schedule which should be 3 wins. They have the potential to go 8-3 next year, guess we'll have to wait until November to find out. I think they miss the playoffs, not adding the 12th game may hurt them.

paward
April 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;913605]

Now I agree Citadel and Elon have improved, but they are not at a Wofford level yet and I certainly wouldn't say that year in and year out they have as good a shot at the playoffs as the Big 3.

Elon has to travel to Statesboro, Charleston, and Boone which are tough places to win, but they do have a weak OOC schedule which should be 3 wins. They have the potential to go 8-3 next year, guess we'll have to wait until November to find out. I think they miss the playoffs, not adding the 12th game may hurt them.

I would not consider us a weak OCC team. We plan to come there and play hard. Heck we may even win!

ElonPride
April 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Not at Wofford's level? If I remember correctly, Elon beat Wofford AT Wofford this past season.

As for the OOC sked: Richmond, Presby, Liberty and Stony Brook. Richmond is stout, and 2 of the other 3 aren't pushovers either.

.....and by the way, Elon DOES have a 12 game schedule.

RazorEdge19
April 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Not at Wofford's level? If I remember correctly, Elon beat Wofford AT Wofford this past season.

As for the OOC sked: Richmond, Presby, Liberty and Stony Brook. Richmond is stout, and 2 of the other 3 aren't pushovers either.

You're correct, Elon did win. If Wofford had handed the ball to their fullbacks more often, that game would have ended up like the games you had against Furman and ASU. Those two teams ran right at the middle of your defense for a reason...

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Come on now, here everyone is trying to say you guys have a good team.

Has Elon beaten Montana on the road in the playoffs? Has Elon seen a national championship at the FCS level? the semis? the playoffs? Not a one. So, no, you aren't at Wofford's level. You had a winning season (insert party noise here). Heck, if you'd played Richmond instead of West Virginia Weslyan or whomever you wouldn't have even had that.

You have a good team. There's a long time to go before the conference suits up again. Can y'all be in the running? Sure. Richmond will be a great early test.

ElonPride
April 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
You're correct, Elon did win. If Wofford had handed the ball to their fullbacks more often, that game would have ended up like the games you had against Furman and ASU. Those two teams ran right at the middle of your defense for a reason...

IF IF IF!!!! Heck if Elon didn't self destruct against App in the 4th quarter, the game would have ended up like the games ASU had against GSU and Wofford (both teams that Elon beat).

Still can't believe you're using the IF comment.

Heck, if the conference would've seen the same defense that USF and Liberty saw, then the turnout in the conference standings would have looked much different.

If, if, if......you should know better.

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;913605]

Everybody needs to remember that anything can happen. Injuries, personalities, how the team gels. I look for the SoCon to be up in the air next fall. There may be some big surprises. I look for a team that is expected to make the playoffs to miss and a team to make a big swing into the playoffs that maybe wasn't expected to.

I firmly beleive the SoCon is the strongest conference, without a doubt. The possible problem with this is the SoCon is going to be a war and they will beat each other down.

With that being said, it should be an interesting year and a lot of fun.xthumbsupx

citdog
April 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;913605]

Now I agree THE Citadel and Elon have improved, but they are not at a Wofford level yet and I certainly wouldn't say that year in and year out they have as good a shot at the playoffs as the Big 3.

3333 THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING

xnodx xrulesx

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Come on now, here everyone is trying to say you guys have a good team.

Has Elon beaten Montana on the road in the playoffs? Has Elon seen a national championship at the FCS level? the semis? the playoffs? Not a one. So, no, you aren't at Wofford's level. You had a winning season (insert party noise here). Heck, if you'd played Richmond instead of West Virginia Weslyan or whomever you wouldn't have even had that.

You have a good team. There's a long time to go before the conference suits up again. Can y'all be in the running? Sure. Richmond will be a great early test.

The thing here Paladin Fan is that some Elon fans are wanting to be put on top without earning it yet. xeyebrowx

gophoenix
April 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Saint3333;914189]

I would not consider us a weak OCC team. We plan to come there and play hard. Heck we may even win!

The problem here is that you asked this question to get other fans to talk about us. And we're tired of this. We've listened to it for years. Why not ask us? Heck, some of these same posters would react just like we have with the same criticism and smack.

And personally, I don't think our OOC schedule is terribly weak. No non-scholarships. No sub-DI. Two conference champions. All on top of the SoCon schedule and going back to Charleston for another year. I don't know what Saint is talking about with weak. So far us, GSU and Wofford are the only conference mates not playing a D-II/D-III/NAIA team, and GSU/Wofford only have 11 games listed.

And we're the only SoCon team having to play AT another team two years straight.

gophoenix
April 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
The thing here Paladin Fan is that some Elon fans are wanting to be put on top without earning it yet. xeyebrowx

No, we don't want to be put on top without earning it. And I don't seem to see anyone saying we are conference champ without earning it. But what we would like is a little kudos from dragging ourselves out of the dredges of horrible football into a contender.

But you people still treat us like we are the scum of the conference.

So whatever.

citdog
April 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=paward;914223]

And we're the only SoCon team having to play AT another team two years straight.

RACK YOUR CHIN IN SOCON KNOB!xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

gophoenix
April 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;914281]

RACK YOUR CHIN IN SOCON KNOB!xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

I only say it because many App fans swear there is a vast SoCon conspiracy against them. This type of stuff proves them wrong.

RazorEdge19
April 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
IF IF IF!!!! Heck if Elon didn't self destruct against App in the 4th quarter, the game would have ended up like the games ASU had against GSU and Wofford (both teams that Elon beat).

Heck, if the conference would've seen the same defense that USF and Liberty saw, then the turnout in the conference standings would have looked much different.

In Wofford's option system its not an 'if' call, its the QBs call. He saw something and that lead to his decisions. Its not a coach making a poor play call, in this case, its merely executing said play in a way that was less effective.

And whether you like it or not, you won because your offense held the ball for 3/4 of the game, not because you stopped Wofford's offense. We'll see who wins this coming year.

gophoenix
April 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
In Wofford's option system its not an 'if' call, its the QBs call. He saw something and that lead to his decisions. Its not a coach making a poor play call, in this case, its merely executing said play in a way that was less effective.

And whether you like it or not, you won because your offense held the ball for 3/4 of the game, not because you stopped Wofford's offense. We'll see who wins this coming year.

We won because we played a better game. Last time I checked, forcing turnovers and holding the ball more is a good key to winning.

And yes, we'll see who wins this year. There are 6 SoCon teams that when they play each other anything can happen now.

Next silly comment please?

paward
April 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=paward;914223]

The problem here is that you asked this question to get other fans to talk about us. And we're tired of this. We've listened to it for years. Why not ask us? Heck, some of these same posters would react just like we have with the same criticism and smack.

And personally, I don't think our OOC schedule is terribly weak. No non-scholarships. No sub-DI. Two conference champions. All on top of the SoCon schedule and going back to Charleston for another year. I don't know what Saint is talking about with weak. So far us, GSU and Wofford are the only conference mates not playing a D-II/D-III/NAIA team, and GSU/Wofford only have 11 games listed.

The question was asked to get some insight not to belittle anyone. You will find when we get down there that we are not your usual fan base. We take pride in showing "Class not our Ash". This is a message board and the question was posed to all, Elon included. We take no one for granted and play all with the same respect. SoCon is a great conference and I know if you''re in it you can play with anyone. I look forward to coming to your school. We are like you guys in a lot of ways. We have just recently hit the corner not turned on it yet. This is the first time in the history of Richmond Football that we three consective winning seasons. So trust me when I say no pun intended with the post.

ElonPride
April 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Please realize that was not a knock at your team. Most Elon fans admire what Wofford's program has accomplished in the SoCon. I just hate the "what if" comments from folks, like the one Saint posted. There were a lot of "ifs" from this past conference season.

But I do agree with Gp's statement. Elon had a good game plan, and played the better game. Elon did manage 14 more plays from scrimmage.

Luckily, this year's game is at Elon and Elon's young team has a year under their belt. Remember, the conference has 2 more years of Hudgins and 3 more years of Riddle :)

Saint3333
April 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Saint3333;914189]

My apologies to the Spider fans and program, when I looked Elon's schedule I didn't notice the huge spider there for the first game and skipped to the schedule below it.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/schedule.aspx?sid=fb

Richmond will be a very solid team (and was last year as well). I think the Spiders beat Elon.

GP - yep every ASU fan is so concerned about Elon and it's a huge conspiracy against you guysxcoffeex.

Pride - Elon played their best game to date against ASU last year, but I wouldn't say Elon almost beat ASU, guess I missed that game. I saw ASU win by 17 with 150 more yards gained, and led the game the entire second half.

gophoenix
April 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=paward;914223]

My apologies to the Spider fans and program, when I looked Elon's schedule I didn't notice the huge spider there for the first game and skipped to the schedule below it.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/schedule.aspx?sid=fb

Richmond will be a very solid team (and was last year as well). I think the Spiders beat Elon.

GP - yep every ASU fan is so concerned about Elon and it's a huge conspiracy against you guysxcoffeex.

Pride - Elon played their best game to date against ASU last year, but I wouldn't say Elon almost beat ASU, guess I missed that game. I saw ASU win by 17 with 150 more yards gained, and led the game the entire second half.

Conspiracy theory against us? No. Some vast private school conspiracy against App is what many of your fans say. You know, if you're going to try some cute-so clever remark like that, at least read what you're responding to first.

150 more yards of offense. Considering two scores were on special teams (that's two possessions where the offense did not come out) and Mayers had 225 return yards alone (387 all purpose), you're yards stat is misleading. Total yards was much closer. But thanks for gearing the stats in your favor! xthumbsupx

Saint3333
April 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Saint3333;914392]

Conspiracy theory against us? No. Some vast private school conspiracy against App is what many of your fans say. You know, if you're going to try some cute-so clever remark like that, at least read what you're responding to first.

150 more yards of offense. Considering two scores were on special teams (that's two possessions where the offense did not come out) and Mayers had 225 return yards alone (387 all purpose), you're yards stat is misleading. Total yards was much closer. But thanks for gearing the stats in your favor! xthumbsupx

I also gave the one that mattered 49-32 and that's with two scores on special teams. I guess that's a moral victory. :p

BeauFoster
April 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=Saint3333;914392]

Even my Elon-alum best friend commented that the game wasn't close in the waning minutes of the game and that ASU clearly outplayed Elon in the second half. Those returns, though worth 14 points, had very little impact on the game. In fact, they probably hurt Elon's defense more than anything. Sending them back out with little rest led to ASU being able to do pretty much anything that they wanted on offense over the last 3 series.

Elon was a young team last year, and will be young again. Conditioning will continue to play a part in the outcome of the Christians' shootout games, much like it did in 2004 for ASU when the offense could score, pretty much at will, giving the d little time to catch their breath. As stated by several other posters, if Elon were to ever find a 700 yard rusher, they might be dangerous. IMO, you need to be balanced to make a deep run into the playoffs.

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM
No, we don't want to be put on top without earning it. And I don't seem to see anyone saying we are conference champ without earning it. But what we would like is a little kudos from dragging ourselves out of the dredges of horrible football into a contender.

So whatever.

Somebody has a big "chip on their shoulders".

I think everyone has given Elon a lot of credit for coming a long way in a very short time.

Elon has the same opportunities that the rest of the SoCon has at being the "top Dog". ( not citDog )

gophoenix
April 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;914434]

Even my Elon-alum best friend commented that the game wasn't close in the waning minutes of the game and that ASU clearly outplayed Elon in the second half. Those returns, though worth 14 points, had very little impact on the game. In fact, they probably hurt Elon's defense more than anything. Sending them back out with little rest led to ASU being able to do pretty much anything that they wanted on offense over the last 3 series.

Elon was a young team last year, and will be young again. Conditioning will continue to play a part in the outcome of the Christians' shootout games, much like it did in 2004 for ASU when the offense could score, pretty much at will, giving the d little time to catch their breath. As stated by several other posters, if Elon were to ever find a 700 yard rusher, they might be dangerous. IMO, you need to be balanced to make a deep run into the playoffs.

Of course the game was out of reach. App pretty much wore Elon out in the 4th quarter. The 3rd was still close. The 4th was where it mattered. All I was saying is that Saint was trying to paint a certain picture and I was saying it was a bit inaccurate.

phoenix3
April 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Honestly, I have to agree. I guess my skin is a little thicker and I have a lot of faith that Elon as a Team and as a University will do what it takes to get football back to where we want it. All the rest of the SoCon knows about Elon is six losing seasons and one winning season. (With the possible exception of Furman whom we beat in '99). So, reasonably, time will tell.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Honestly, I have to agree. I guess my skin is a little thicker and I have a lot of faith that Elon as a Team and as a University will do what it takes to get football back to where we want it. All the rest of the SoCon knows about Elon is six losing seasons and one winning season. (With the possible exception of Furman whom we beat in '99). So, reasonably, time will tell.

Your program earned my respect after they held Ingle Martin and co. to 10 points in a 10-0 win a couple years ago. No other team was able to do that.

I like bringing it up, but my favorite memory of an Elon game was the 56-7 shelacking we put on the Phoenix in Greenville in 2002 where Ike West had 3 receptions, 176 yards receiving, and three touchdowns. You're better now than you were then. No doubt about that. ;)

Saint3333
April 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=BeauFoster;914449]

Of course the game was out of reach. App pretty much wore Elon out in the 4th quarter. The 3rd was still close. The 4th was where it mattered. All I was saying is that Saint was trying to paint a certain picture and I was saying it was a bit inaccurate.

I'm not the one spinning it to look like it was a close game, it wasn't. xconfusedx

AshevilleApp2
April 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Ok SoCon people what is the skinny on Elon? We have them first game and it would be interesting to hear your take on them. We played Wofford last year and they were tough. How do they compare!

They'll be different from Wofford, but a very good team.

gophoenix
April 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;914631]

I'm not the one spinning it to look like it was a close game, it wasn't. xconfusedx

What I said we no less the truth than what you said. Sorry you have trouble dealing with it.

CID1990
April 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM

So whatever.

Cry me a river. The Citadel has always been dangerous regardless of where we were in the standings, and we never get respect, either. So win a few SoCon championships and then you won't get poo-pooed.

Millwoch
April 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Ha ha, that comment makes me laugh....Beat The Citadel last year and the app game does not matter. You are in the playoffs. That should not have been so hard should it? But they just did not get it done.

SoCon48
April 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Elon- 4th in scoring defense in the socon.

Furman- 6th in scoring defense.

A great deal has to do with schedules. It's rather even or kind of reversed if SoCon only stats are examined.

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Wofford............. 7 24 21 0 0 5 0 180 25.7
2. Georgia Southern.... 7 26 25 1 0 10 0 213 30.4
3. Appalachian State... 7 28 27 1 0 6 0 215 30.7
4. The Citadel......... 7 29 27 1 0 6 1 223 31.9
5. Chattanooga......... 7 32 30 1 0 7 0 245 35.0
6. Furman.............. 7 32 29 1 0 8 0 247 35.3
7. Elon................ 7 34 31 0 0 6 0 253 36.1
8. Western Carolina.... 7 44 40 0 0 12 1 342 48.9

RazorEdge19
April 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Please realize that was not a knock at your team. Most Elon fans admire what Wofford's program has accomplished in the SoCon. I just hate the "what if" comments from folks, like the one Saint posted. There were a lot of "ifs" from this past conference season.

But I do agree with Gp's statement. Elon had a good game plan, and played the better game. Elon did manage 14 more plays from scrimmage.

Luckily, this year's game is at Elon and Elon's young team has a year under their belt. Remember, the conference has 2 more years of Hudgins and 3 more years of Riddle :)

I understand its not a knock on the team, simply an observation from a biased observer (no offense, everyone on here is). And yes, there are plenty of seasons left with those two offensive threats. Next season, however, I don't think your defense will be as fortunate as it was this past year. SoCon's 48 post indicates that Elon's defense has to improve in order for them to take the next step and really make a name for themselves.

I can understand Elon's desire for respect, but, when its all said and done, you had the best shot at winning the conference following the Wofford game. You couldn't do it. I'm sure you'll be contenders again next season, but I really do wonder if the SoCon will have Riddle figured out.

Time will tell.

I certainly look forward to watching another tight SoCon race...

citdog
April 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
here is my extremely early take...

the conference is pretty evenly grouped up with App being the big kid on the block. there are however several teams not named Georgia Southern who will contend with them for the SoCon Championship and look to join them in the playoffs where anything can happen. these teams in no particular orderxsmiley_wix i'll do one a day until all are done

The Citadel
The development of rising Second Classman (Redshirt) QB Bart Blanchard is perhaps the key to the Cadets hopes this season. The 'Dogs will also have to replace All-Southern Conference performer RB Tory Cooper. Having signed an excellent class Coach Hggins is going to put some of these Knobs on the field this season. All-American WR Andre Roberts, a Second Classman, will perhaps push Elon's Hudgins for socon first team.

with 2 FBS games, Klempson Cow College and some Gators from Florida, a game with Princeton, yankees in Charleston? where's my musket?, and the "always tough"xrolleyesx Webber International we have a challenging schedule.

best case 9-2
likely case 8-4
worst case 7-5

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
A great deal has to do with schedules. It's rather even or kind of reversed if SoCon only stats are examined.

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Wofford............. 7 24 21 0 0 5 0 180 25.7
2. Georgia Southern.... 7 26 25 1 0 10 0 213 30.4
3. Appalachian State... 7 28 27 1 0 6 0 215 30.7
4. The Citadel......... 7 29 27 1 0 6 1 223 31.9
5. Chattanooga......... 7 32 30 1 0 7 0 245 35.0
8. Western Carolina.... 7 44 40 0 0 12 1 342 48.9

There's no doubt our pass defense was pitiful last season.

Consider that Furman's OOC opponents were Clemson, Hofstra, Coastal, and Presbyterian. Elon's were South Florida, West Virginia Weslyan, Liberty and Stony Brook.

skews the stats a little bit.

seantaylor
April 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM

the conference is pretty evenly grouped up with App being the big kid on the block. there are however several teams not named Georgia Southern who will contend with them for the SoCon Championship and look to join them in the playoffs where anything can happen. these teams in no particular orderxsmiley_wix i'll do one a day until all are done

The Citadel
The development of rising Second Classman (Redshirt) QB Bart Blanchard is perhaps the key to the Cadets hopes this season. The 'Dogs will also have to replace All-Southern Conference performer RB Tory Cooper. Having signed an excellent class Coach Hggins is going to put some of these Knobs on the field this season. All-American WR Andre Roberts, a Second Classman, will perhaps push Elon's Hudgins for socon first team.

with 2 FBS games, Klempson Cow College and some Gators from Florida, a game with Princeton, yankees in Charleston? where's my musket?, and the "always tough"xrolleyesx Webber International we have a challenging schedule.

best case 9-2
likely case 8-4
worst case 7-5

You are an idiot. GSU will beat the hell out of Citadel like always.

gophoenix
April 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Consider that Furman's OOC opponents were Clemson, Hofstra, Coastal, and Presbyterian. Elon's were South Florida, West Virginia Weslyan, Liberty and Stony Brook.

How does that skew anything?
20 USF
22 Clemson
108 Hofstra
129 Liberty
166 Stony Brook
183 Coastal Carolina
206 Presbyterian
D-II WV Weslyan

You played a bad provisional team (doesn't count for the playoffs), we played a bad D-II team. Outside of that, the average team ranking for OOC games is even.

You're basing your SOS off name, not figures.

That spin isn't going to work.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
How does that skew anything?
20 USF
22 Clemson
108 Hofstra
129 Liberty
166 Stony Brook
183 Coastal Carolina
206 Presbyterian
D-II WV Weslyan

You played a bad provisional team (doesn't count for the playoffs), we played a bad D-II team. Outside of that, the average team ranking for OOC games is even.

You're basing your SOS off name, not figures.

That spin isn't going to work.

First, Presbyterian was 6-5 with a win over Coastal, so they are by no means a "bad provisional team." At the very least they are worlds better than WVW.

We can argue til we are blue in the face, but you won't convince me that South Florida was a better squad than Clemson (who sported the best offense in the ACC). You also aren't going to convince me that playing a 7-4 CAA team (Hofstra) on the road in New York is an easier task than a mediocre Big South team who racked up three home wins over Tusculuum, Shippensburg, and St. Francis (wherever they are).

paward
April 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Back to my original post if I can remember after all this inter conference dialogue. What kind of offense do they run? Do they have a big line? Additionally how are the fans? So far have had good time with other SoConn stadiums and teams. Oh yeah forgot is the stadium easy to find. I got real lost going to Wofford Stadium. It was very nice upon finding it but road around another campus for a minute.

gophoenix
April 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
First, Presbyterian was 6-5 with a win over Coastal, so they are by no means a "bad provisional team." At the very least they are worlds better than WVW.

We can argue til we are blue in the face, but you won't convince me that South Florida was a better squad than Clemson (who sported the best offense in the ACC). You also aren't going to convince me that playing a 7-4 CAA team (Hofstra) on the road in New York is an easier task than a mediocre Big South team who racked up three home wins over Tusculuum, Shippensburg, and St. Francis (wherever they are).

I don't have to convince you. The numbers don't lie. Sorry you can't accept it. xrulesx

How about I use Massey instead:
19 USF
22 Clemson
127 Hofstra
151 Liberty
201 Stony Brook
240 Coastal
*280 Presbyterian
*518 WV Wesleyan

So Massey shows that Presbyterian is better than WV Wesleyan, where there was no doubt to begin with. But they were both sub-DI games and that really doesn't matter as regardless we should run over them. The rest, well, we still have the better overall SoS.

Sorry, no matter how it is laid out, our schedule is really no worse than yours. Unless Furman padded their, we didn't paid ours.

gophoenix
April 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Back to my original post if I can remember after all this inter conference dialogue. What kind of offense do they run? Do they have a big line? Additionally how are the fans? So far have had good time with other SoConn stadiums and teams. Oh yeah forgot is the stadium easy to find. I got real lost going to Wofford Stadium. It was very nice upon finding it but road around another campus for a minute.

1) Offense - pass first spread, waiting to see how the fast RB we picked up pans out.
2) Line - not big, not the fastest, still young
3) Fans - you opened up another can there, thanks
4) Signs to the stadium should get you there from I-40/85 without a problem.
5) I had trouble figuring out how to get to Wofford's stadium my first time too.

AshevilleApp2
April 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM

The Citadel

best case 9-2
likely case 8-4
worst case 7-5

Good job. Looking forward to the next ones.

SideLine Shooter
April 9th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I would say a whole LOT!!!xthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
April 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM

The Citadel

best case 9-2
likely case 8-4
worst case 7-5

Hey, that's probably pretty close, if you exclude your statement about GSU, make the "likely case" 7-5 and the "worst case" 4-7.

SoCon48
April 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

1. How much lower does a rating go than 518 WV Wesleyan?

2. SoCon only stats helps eliminate the schedule "skewing" argument.

Scoring defense:

Scoring offense:
2. Furman.............. 7 33 30 1 0 8 0 254 36.3
3. Wofford............. 7 35 33 0 0 3 0 252 36.0
4. Elon................ 7 31 30 1 0 10 0 248 35.4

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Appalachian State... 7 2276 1332 546 3608 6.6 36 515.4
2. Wofford............. 7 2275 860 514 3135 6.1 34 447.9
3. Furman.............. 7 1522 1488 508 3010 5.9 32 430.0
4. The Citadel......... 7 1233 1762 543 2995 5.5 26 427.9
5. Elon................ 7 344 2603 543 2947 5.4 30 421.0

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Appalachian State... 7 1413 1357 496 2770 5.6 26 395.7
2. Wofford............. 7 1142 1631 483 2773 5.7 22 396.1
3. Georgia Southern.... 7 1240 1546 508 2786 5.5 25 398.0
4. Chattanooga......... 7 1538 1268 537 2806 5.2 29 400.9
5. The Citadel......... 7 1379 1499 485 2878 5.9 27 411.1
6. Furman.............. 7 1201 1835 504 3036 6.0 30 433.7
7. Elon................ 7 1698 1493 553 3191 5.8 33 455.9

phoenix3
April 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
xdeadhorsex

SoCon48
April 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Yep. Maybe 2 or 3 xdeadhorsex's as this thread was highjacked into other schools conference rivalries right off the bat. Also when the schedule equality theory was shot down, it's time to pack it in.

WCU LawCat
April 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
My thoughts on Elon.

As long as Riddle does not have a sophmore slump under the new OC the offense should be fine. I do wonder if they will struggle just a tad with all the other SoCon teams going to the 4-2-5 and defending the pass.

On defense Elon was next to last it appears. Sometimes it is not the players...it is the system. That was Western's problem on defense. The system was horrible. Now Western has a DC that has 3 national titles at Grand Valley.

Keys for Elon in my opinion. Can they live up to expectations on offense and duplicate 2007? Can they improve on defense?

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
My thoughts on Elon.

As long as Riddle does not have a sophmore slump under the new OC the offense should be fine. I do wonder if they will struggle just a tad with all the other SoCon teams going to the 4-2-5 and defending the pass.

On defense Elon was next to last it appears. Sometimes it is not the players...it is the system. That was Western's problem on defense. The system was horrible. Now Western has a DC that has 3 national titles at Grand Valley.

Keys for Elon in my opinion. Can they live up to expectations on offense and duplicate 2007? Can they improve on defense?

joining in a concurring opinion from every other non-elon fan.

elonballer
April 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
No one thinks we were great on Defense last year. But it's not the system. Chris Hatcher said as much after our GA Southern game. We had a bunch of young players and we had a bunch of injuries. I guess if you look at socon only stats we were .8 pts a game worse than furman. I guess the problem I had was Furman fans saying how bad we were on defense compared to them. I think we were equally bad!

I guess if we were that bad with all the seniors and juniors that they had I would be worried... Not with alot of freshmen and sophomores.

I think we will be better but time will tell.

gophoenix
April 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Sorry you're such haters Paladin Fan and SoCon48. xrolleyesx

And yes SoCon48, you can get much worse than WV Wesleyan. Try all the way down to 819. But hey, why are you knocking a WV Wesleyan? After all, almighty App played #457 Lenoir-Rhyne. xrolleyesx

But one is curious, again, why you're in an Elon thread? xlolx

The only problem with SoCon only stats is just that, it doesn't show the ability through the course of the year. After all, that typically leaves out 4 games at the start of the season so when you start the SoCon you're banged up when you aren't deep (like us, as I said).

Let me say again, the Richmond fan asked about us as we will be FULL STRENGTH. So to give an accurate representation, you should show the quality of the team, injury free, as Richmond will see it.

So, if some of you guys want to knock us. Fine, it'll just make it more sweet on the field this year.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Again, I'll make sure I'm clear. I never once compared Furman and Elon on defense. Dude wanted a scouting report on Elon. Every poster on here who saw you play in 2007 has said the exact same thing: Good offense, lots of weapons, had a lot of holes on the defense.

Listen, I watched Furman play. We had a great run D and a terrible, atrocious, pathetic defense against the pass. I (along with every other fan) will admit that. However, at no point am I trying to compare the too. The question was about Elon and y'all are making excuses about what was completely obvious to everyone who saw your team play. It is what it is. I have no desire to even pull Furman into this argument other than to say that I saw you play us, your defense looked overmatched, and your offense is good (which is precisely the point I'm trying to make).

SideLine Shooter
April 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM

And yes SoCon48, you can get much worse than WV Wesleyan. Try all the way down to 819. But hey, why are you knocking a WV Wesleyan? After all, almighty App played #457 Lenoir-Rhyne. xrolleyesx

The only problem with SoCon only stats is just that, it doesn't show the ability through the course of the year. After all, that typically leaves out 4 games at the start of the season so when you start the SoCon you're banged up when you aren't deep (like us, as I said).

Let me say again, the Richmond fan asked about us as we will be FULL STRENGTH. So to give an accurate representation, you should show the quality of the team, injury free, as Richmond will see it.

So, if some of you guys want to knock us. Fine, it'll just make it more sweet on the field this year.

You like to bring up the fact of App playing LR. I agree totally, but if you ever reach the level of success that App has you will run into the same problem that App has, finding an OOC team that will play you. Last year App had a very difficult time getting a schedule because nobody wanted to possibly take a beat down in Boone or their house.

LR has a fine program at their level. The have an excellent coach and many fine young athletes that I have seen play in High School. It is a good test for them to see how they compare to the next level of competition. Also it is only 35 miles down the road.xnodx xnodx

SoCon48
April 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Lenoir Rhyne. xrulesx 1. We didn't have to get a patsy from 3 states away. L-R is in our back yard. 2. Much interest among many ASU and L-R alumni as L-R was once the main rival of ASU. Much tradition. 3. Large alumni-fan numbers in the Catawba County, Caldwell County, Hickory area. 4. ASU has a satellite campus and joint programs with L-R in Hickory. 5. Check the attendance for the game 6. Bound to solidify recruiting in that region for both schools

Elon thread? Hmm. More posts from other fans than Elon's Interesting? I believe the thread was started by a Richmond fan asking for a scouting report! Just a little info for you: scouting reports are normally done by former opponents of the team in question not by the opponent itself.xcoffeex xcoffeex Thus it was "highjacked" long before i posted. xeyebrowx

SoCon only schedule. The SoCon only schedule is the only way in this case to show results and stats vs common opponents. Not how many stats were racked up by whichever patsy. No scout will use the the results of the game with the sisters of the poor to evaluate a team or develop a game plan unless it's the only game to examine.

I think that about covers it.xcoffeex

Sorry that you got outnumbered in this thread but that's the nature of the topic.

phoenix3
April 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
WHAAAAA HAA HAA! WHAAAAA HAA HAA HAA! LOVE ME PLEASE! DON'T YOU THINK I'M PRETTY?

YEEESH!!

The one sure way NOT to get respect is to ASK FOR IT! (Or beg). This is getting embarassing. See you in another thread...

SoCon48
April 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Respect? Who said anything about respect from you? Justing reinforcing the same points other schools' fans posted.

Tough for some Elon fans to face reality. Rationalization and trying to stretch an argument will just go so far.

App doesn't ask or as you say, beg, for respect. We earn it on the field by facing quality opponents when at all possible and winning the ones we can. Just like some of the other SoCon programs.

WCU LawCat
April 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
No one thinks we were great on Defense last year. But it's not the system. Chris Hatcher said as much after our GA Southern game. We had a bunch of young players and we had a bunch of injuries. I guess if you look at socon only stats we were .8 pts a game worse than furman. I guess the problem I had was Furman fans saying how bad we were on defense compared to them. I think we were equally bad!

I guess if we were that bad with all the seniors and juniors that they had I would be worried... Not with alot of freshmen and sophomores.

I think we will be better but time will tell.

Coach Hatcher is a very modest coach. Last year, he said WCU had a corner that he wished he had starting for him. WCU couldn't stop anything through the air. I can't count the number of times I have heard Coach Moore say that the players at WCU "play hard" and are "well coached." Does anyone really think WCU has been "well coached" up to this point? (Thank God that is about to change).

phoenix3
April 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Respect? Who said anything about respect from you? Justing reinforcing the same points other schools' fans posted.

Tough for some Elon fans to face reality. Rationalization and trying to stretch an argument will just go so far.

App doesn't ask or as you say, beg, for respect. We earn it on the field by facing quality opponents when at all possible and winning the ones we can. Just like some of the other SoCon programs.

You are truly a dolt! I was criticizing other Elon posters! Not our team! I'm tired of hearing some of the others whine because THEY can't gain your respect/love/admiration, etc. etc... ugh.

gophoenix
April 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Again, I'll make sure I'm clear. I never once compared Furman and Elon on defense. Dude wanted a scouting report on Elon. Every poster on here who saw you play in 2007 has said the exact same thing: Good offense, lots of weapons, had a lot of holes on the defense.

Listen, I watched Furman play. We had a great run D and a terrible, atrocious, pathetic defense against the pass. I (along with every other fan) will admit that. However, at no point am I trying to compare the too. The question was about Elon and y'all are making excuses about what was completely obvious to everyone who saw your team play. It is what it is. I have no desire to even pull Furman into this argument other than to say that I saw you play us, your defense looked overmatched, and your offense is good (which is precisely the point I'm trying to make).

And I'll say it again to make sure I am clear. You saw us play 1 game late in the season. I saw us play 8. Seeing us play late and seeing us play early were two different teams on defense. But you can't seem to grasp that. I think people who saw us play more than 1 time are a little more qualified to make calls onto how we are. A few fans here saw App and Richmond play. Those are the opinions that would really matter in a scouting report.

You like to bring up the fact of App playing LR. I agree totally, but if you ever reach the level of success that App has you will run into the same problem that App has, finding an OOC team that will play you. Last year App had a very difficult time getting a schedule because nobody wanted to possibly take a beat down in Boone or their house.

LR has a fine program at their level. The have an excellent coach and many fine young athletes that I have seen play in High School. It is a good test for them to see how they compare to the next level of competition. Also it is only 35 miles down the road.

Playing a sub-DI isn't a big deal. I have no issue ith you guys playing Lenoir-Rhyne. Not sure that I brought it up before though, I just brought it up because one of your fans entered into the debate with silly comments about strength of opponents. So, cheers to playing local teams.

gophoenix
April 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Lenoir Rhyne. xrulesx 1. We didn't have to get a patsy from 3 states away. L-R is in our back yard. 2. Much interest among many ASU and L-R alumni as L-R was once the main rival of ASU. Much tradition. 3. Large alumni-fan numbers in the Catawba County, Caldwell County, Hickory area. 4. ASU has a satellite campus and joint programs with L-R in Hickory. 5. Check the attendance for the game 6. Bound to solidify recruiting in that region for both schools

Elon thread? Hmm. More posts from other fans than Elon's Interesting? I believe the thread was started by a Richmond fan asking for a scouting report! Just a little info for you: scouting reports are normally done by former opponents of the team in question not by the opponent itself.xcoffeex xcoffeex Thus it was "highjacked" long before i posted. xeyebrowx

SoCon only schedule. The SoCon only schedule is the only way in this case to show results and stats vs common opponents. Not how many stats were racked up by whichever patsy. No scout will use the the results of the game with the sisters of the poor to evaluate a team or develop a game plan unless it's the only game to examine.

I think that about covers it.xcoffeex

Sorry that you got outnumbered in this thread but that's the nature of the topic.

LOL, and here we go with silly logic 101 again. How many posts will it be this time about Elon? Think you can hold it under 100 this time? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

It is so hilarious how you always find yourself in an Elon thread!

And for the record, Mr. Expert. I just read game previews and scouting reports for many schools last year. They do list out performances and games whether common or not. Sorry, but you're wrong again. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Thanks for the history lesson on Lenoir-Rhyne. Like that was needed in this thread. Too bad you dodged the question as usual. xrolleyesx xlolx xlolx

So instead of making this about you, again, why don't you just leave so the adults can talk some more about football. xlolx xlolx

AshevilleApp2
April 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Elon has a different offense than Wofford. They are pass oriented as opposed to the option you saw from Wofford.

Last year their defense had some troubles, but they were young and should be better this year.

It'll be a tough game. Good to have two of the power conferences playing against each other.

ur2k
April 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Elon has a different offense than Wofford. They are pass oriented as opposed to the option you saw from Wofford.

Last year their defense had some troubles, but they were young and should be better this year.

It'll be a tough game. Good to have two of the power conferences playing against each other.

Thanks for brining this one back to topic.

I guess the question is to App and Wofford fans who saw both teams last year - and Richmond brings back most of the same team from last year to this game, what are your early thoughts on how this game plays out?

Saint3333
April 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for brining this one back to topic.

I guess the question is to App and Wofford fans who saw both teams last year - and Richmond brings back most of the same team from last year to this game, what are your early thoughts on how this game plays out?

Richmond will bring more balance offensively than Elon and a better defense. Richmond's QB will cause problems for Elon's defense as will Elon's for Richmond. The difference will be Richmond's ability to run the ball.

The game will be a high scoring affair. I'd set the over/under at 63 and say Richmond by 10.

Richmond just ran into ASU on the wrong night last year, what AE did that night was one of the best performances I've ever seen from a QB.

paward
April 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM
So would you say the two Qb's are similar in their style of play? When I say the two I mean Elon's and Richmond's (Not Edwards).

Saint3333
April 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
So would you say the two Qb's are similar in their style of play? When I say the two I mean Elon's and Richmond's (Not Edwards).

No Richmond's QB is more mobile, while Elon's is the better passer. Riddle is probably the best passing QB in the SoCon and the second best QB overall.

SoCon48
April 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
And I'll say it again to make sure I am clear. You saw us play 1 game late in the season. I saw us play 8. Seeing us play late and seeing us play early were two different teams on defense. But you can't seem to grasp that. I think people who saw us play more than 1 time are a little more qualified to make calls onto how we are. A few fans here saw App and Richmond play. Those are the opinions that would really matter in a scouting report.

Playing a sub-DI isn't a big deal. I have no issue ith you guys playing Lenoir-Rhyne. Not sure that I brought it up before though, I just brought it up because one of your fans entered into the debate with silly comments about strength of opponents. So, cheers to playing local teams.

Silly comment about SOS?

Didn't realize PalidinFan was an App fan. But we'll claim him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinFan

For the record here's where the Lenoir Rhyne came in first..in your post.

gophoenix: And yes SoCon48, you can get much worse than WV Wesleyan. Try all the way down to 819. But hey, why are you knocking a WV Wesleyan? After all, almighty App played #457 Lenoir-Rhyne.

But if you want to call my mentioning SoCon Opponent Only Stats from the official SoCon site leveling the statistical field as "silly," I'll gladly take credit for that post.

Now back to evaluating Elon for the Richmond game.

SoCon48
April 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
You are truly a dolt! I was criticizing other Elon posters! Not our team! I'm tired of hearing some of the others whine because THEY can't gain your respect/love/admiration, etc. etc... ugh.

Why not keep name calling to the smack forums? xeyebrowx That would give the appearance of a bit more decorum as well as keeping the moderators happy.

I apologize that I couldn't interpret that post about pretty boys or whatever.

SoCon48
April 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Nobody looks forward to facing Riddle. Heck of a passer and normally has plenty of time to fire the long ones or look for 2nd and 3rd receivers. It'll be interesting to see how much he improves over last year's great performances.
Last year, at first one might have been inclined to think that Mayers, Hudgins, and Williamson were making him look good (all three are back). But as the game/games go on, one will see that most of his passes are right on the money, even when he is hurried. The defense has to get to him and make the sack. Getting in his face or making him scramble isn't nearly enough, unlike the average QB on our level.
Keep the ball away from Mayers on returns, too. The dude can scoot.
Last year's Elon defense wasn't the best, but this year's recruiting class, a year's experience on last year's players, and maybe a couple RS's could make them entirely differnt. You can best believe from the Spring Practice reports that Lembo will make lots of adjustments from last year--depth permitting.
In any contest vs Lembo, if Elon is allowed to work their game plan (offensively or defensively), their opponent is in trouble. Just having superior talent and more depth may not suffice. The teams that beat him are the ones who can take the Phoenix out of that plan or win the TOP battle enough that Riddle doesn't get the chance to fling 40+ passes. Some may disagree, but seems Lembo is better at his initial game prep than making half time adjustments.

Good luck.xeyebrowx

gophoenix
April 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Silly comment about SOS?

Didn't realize PalidinFan was an App fan. But we'll claim him.

No, the Lenoir-Rhyne response came from this quote but you:
"How much lower does a rating go than 518 WV Wesleyan?"

Basically I was saying, in response to this, don't knock a team rated 518 when Lenoir-Rhyne basically was not terribly much better. That's all. I thought the fact that the Furman Fan was comparing their non-DI to our non-DI is pretty silly. They both don't count for the playoffs, so it doesn't really matter how good or bad their are. I'll keep making that claim because the various ratings don't seem to matter to him.

But you're right comparing SoCon only facts and I really didn't argue any of those points you made. It shows that our defense had gaps in depth. I really don't want to push this since you made probably one of the best posts and summaries of the thread.

CID1990
April 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Elon will lose 3 SoCon games this year.

(So will the other three teams that will be tied for second in the SoCon)

BeauFoster
April 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Kinda off topic, but who will be Richmond's RB this year? Hightower was good (soccer boots and all); I'm interested to see if his replacement has seen significant playing time.

paward
April 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Josh Vaughn should take most of the load. He has been a great backup. He had good numbers in conference games. He is strong and very physical will be a lot like Hightower. He was the one that stripped the ball out of the returners hand in the semi final game. I would love to see Justin Forte take more snaps. He is small and fast. Need a good chemistry and balance using both of them. We also have a new kid that redshirted. There is some good talk of him this spring.

soconstan
April 12th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry been gone for awhile.
Well I was down in Burlington about a week or so ago and caught the Phoenix practicing. Everyone knows that the D is vernable, but I see Elon's taking it to heart by the recruiting class they brought in.
I spoke to 2 big recruits, Jared Thompson (Statesville NC, West Iredell) and Dale Riley (Charlotte NC, Victory Christian) they were both offensive athletes that have moved to OLB. But everyone is right about the Huggins kid, to me: no better wr in 1AA. Im heading to watch Chatt. spring game and see how they look, I see they have Okla and Fla St in the first two weeks.

spdram
April 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
As for Richmond I expect to see much of what you saw last season with a few tweaks. We'll mix up the D sets some more to disguse what is happening and I think you will see more speed at RB this season. If we will have a weakness it may be our ability to run up the middle, but I expect a better OL this season than last so that may open some holes that even I could make it through. We had 14/15 take off spring ball this year to get healed or some minor surgery they missed out on earlier. As said earlier, at RB Vaughan is looking good, Justin Forte had an outstanding spring session and a new RB will be Smaugh. I really liked the continued improvement in our QB, his decision making continues to improve. Our backup QB is looking good and pushing Ward still. Our receiving corp should be much faster and able to spread the feild better. On D we get back a kid that started as a true freshman at LB then tried to walkon at Clemson, but came back, he can knock your head off, Keating. I think on D we will be very solid, I expect to see us improve alot in the Dbackfield. New coaches there have mixed up coverages there, much harder to read and I think will make for a few more INT's and knockdowns. All in all I'm looking for an exciting year -- the schedule is tough starting with Elon and followed by UVA.

gophoenix
April 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM
As for Richmond I expect to see much of what you saw last season with a few tweaks. We'll mix up the D sets some more to disguse what is happening and I think you will see more speed at RB this season. If we will have a weakness it may be our ability to run up the middle, but I expect a better OL this season than last so that may open some holes that even I could make it through. We had 14/15 take off spring ball this year to get healed or some minor surgery they missed out on earlier. As said earlier, at RB Vaughan is looking good, Justin Forte had an outstanding spring session and a new RB will be Smaugh. I really liked the continued improvement in our QB, his decision making continues to improve. Our backup QB is looking good and pushing Ward still. Our receiving corp should be much faster and able to spread the feild better. On D we get back a kid that started as a true freshman at LB then tried to walkon at Clemson, but came back, he can knock your head off, Keating. I think on D we will be very solid, I expect to see us improve alot in the Dbackfield. New coaches there have mixed up coverages there, much harder to read and I think will make for a few more INT's and knockdowns. All in all I'm looking for an exciting year -- the schedule is tough starting with Elon and followed by UVA.

Stopped by to look at a practice. The RB game looks a bit more organized than it did last year. Looks like most of that work is going to AJ Harris and Dontay Taylor, who were both freshmen last year. So, this part of our game is still going to be young. I'll be interested to see how next year's true freshman Jamal Shuman is going to be. It sounds like he could step right into the starting position.

The WR game also looks a bit more organized this year. This could all be due to a new OC. Hudgins and Williamson are the experienced goto guys and are looking pretty stout on some of those big-time type catches. But looks like the game of the 3rd slot is going to be a bit more used this year; as is the TE too. Plus, Aaron Mellette is coming in who people are comparing to Hudgins as a freshman.

Special teams looks a bit unorganized.

So, that's my take right now.

ur2k
April 16th, 2008, 10:41 AM
For Richmond RB will primarily probably be Josh Vaughan - body type and running style are very similar to Hightower's. He has had some ball handling issues (fumbles) but hopefully that has been worked on. Justin Forte is a smaller speed back that should get some carries this year.

Our WR corps has gotten a lot faster FR RS Donte Boston and Tre Grey. The talk is they will give Kevin Grayson (who's been reinstated to the football team) a run for the #1 receiver slot. And Eric Ward is one year older - he'll be a junior with a lot of reps under his belt and a pretty darn good season last year.