PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Southland Discussion

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm looking to talk some Southland Conference football...

So, what's going on around the conference? What team is going to be the cream of the crop next year? Which team will not meet expectations? Who is the dark horse? Which out of conference match-up are you looking forward to? What in conference game are you looking to be a big one?

My thoughts or questions to ask to the various fan bases...

Central Arkansas -- you guys looking forward to another "Hang 60" opportunity against Texas State - San Marcos? I really enjoy watching your offense. When am I going to see you guys in person?

McNeese State -- what condition is Steven Whitehead going to be in this fall? how is Derrick Fourroux looking this spring?

Nicholls State -- who are going to be your last two OOC games? I heard UNI was in the mix. That really going to happen?

Northwestern State -- what is Stoker going to say this time? I hope you guys defeat Cal Poly and Grambling, that'd be great for the conference. are all your QBs healthy?

Sam Houston State -- can Bomar be 100% by the season opener? what is happening in the secondary, offensive line?

Southeastern La -- the Lions are going to be a team to be reckoned with. I think we always say that one, but is this the year?

Stephen F Austin -- I really hope you guys win a few OOC games this year. No more Danny Southall. Jeremy Moses, real deal? Seems like it -- your thoughts?

Texas State - San Marcos -- how high are your expectations this year? will the team fall on it's face or will it make a push for the regular season finale to mean something? is your OOC going to be a walk in the park or is it going to be a Bobcat Bonaza?

BEAR
April 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM

So, what's going on around the conference? What team is going to be the cream of the crop next year? Which team will not meet expectations? Who is the dark horse? Which out of conference match-up are you looking forward to? What in conference game are you looking to be a big one?

Central Arkansas -- you guys looking forward to another "Hang 60" opportunity against Texas State - San Marcos? I really enjoy watching your offense. When am I going to see you guys in person?
McNeese State -- what condition is Steven Whitehead going to be in this fall? how is Derrick Fourroux looking this spring?

Nicholls State -- who are going to be your last two OOC games? I heard UNI was in the mix. That really going to happen?

Northwestern State -- what is Stoker going to say this time? I hope you guys defeat Cal Poly and Grambling, that'd be great for the conference. are all your QBs healthy?

Sam Houston State -- can Bomar be 100% by the season opener? what is happening in the secondary, offensive line?

Southeastern La -- the Lions are going to be a team to be reckoned with. I think we always say that one, but is this the year?

Stephen F Austin -- I really hope you guys win a few OOC games this year. No more Danny Southall. Jeremy Moses, real deal? Seems like it -- your thoughts?

Texas State - San Marcos -- how high are your expectations this year? will the team fall on it's face or will it make a push for the regular season finale to mean something? is your OOC going to be a walk in the park or is it going to be a Bobcat Bonaza?

TT,

I'm a little disturbed here buddy. You started the thread out with a slam on Texas State. You ended it with a slam on Texas State. Plus you asked when are you going to see UCA in person? Um...I know you haven't noticed...but UCA has had to play at SHSU twice since joining this conference..if you couldn't make either game at your place, then the odds aren't very good that you're going to make the trip to Conway this year. :D

Well, I think the conference will go like this this year.
McNeese on top..as usual.
UCA second..better offense plus more transfers and recruits for defense..but then again we lost 5 defensive players to stupidity.xmadx So honestly a 3rd or 4th place finish would be great IMO!
Nicholls, SELA and SHSU all are strong and any could take a second place spot next year

NWSU, Texas State and SFA not looking good based on last years efforts..NWSU looking better though then TXST and SFA.

But gentlemen, remember this is a new year and anybody can do it. Let's not criticize each other but remember apart from McNeese's strong teams year after year, this league appears to be about parity! xthumbsupx

blackfordpu
April 5th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Bomar should be ready to go by conference play and the "out of nowhere" QB, Hinojosa, seems to be turning heads and may have a leg up on Welch, Weidman and Williams.

As for the OL situation here is an article addressing that very issue: http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1431993

Secondary looks to be coming together but is still a concern.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm a little disturbed here buddy. You started the thread out with a slam on Texas State. You ended it with a slam on Texas State. Plus you asked when are you going to see UCA in person? Um...I know you haven't noticed...but UCA has had to play at SHSU twice since joining this conference..if you couldn't make either game at your place, then the odds aren't very good that you're going to make the trip to Conway this year. :D

I'm living in the Cajun Corner. Could end up going down to Thibodaux this year, as I have a standing invite, but I do have work the same day as the game -- loving know my schedule so far in advance (can tell you what I am doing through early March 2009). Really want to head to Hammond to check out the fixed up press box and other fixed up stuff...

Let's not criticize each other but remember apart from McNeese's strong teams year after year, this league appears to be about parity! xthumbsupx

Parity is the name of the game -- just wish we could get some more teams into the postseason and part of that has been the scheduling. The scheduling is better, so let's make it happen!

McNeese75
April 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
There is a lot of parity in the SLC. We just need to raise the level of that parity xlolx

McNeese had their first practice in pads today (maybe yesterday) so I have nothing to report on that. I did hear that Steven Whitehead is back at full speed and chompin at the bit.

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Will TXST fall on it's face?!?! I think it will not. Last year our Defense was our achillies heal and it was obvious. So obvious our team brought in a new DC with experience and scene jut about everything you can imagine. Coach Bleil helped turn the UNT defense around prior to going to Tulane. His style of defense was impressive in the last scrimmage. Don't expect to see the "bend don't break" defense we ended with last year. Our offense still has plenty of weapons even though some of our play makers were move to defense to add speed to the secondary. Expect to see some freshmen come in and see playing time right away on offense and defense. No need to introduce them you'll learn their names soon enough. I would go so far as to say we can make a run for the Conference Title but hey, I'm bias. xpeacex

blackfordpu
April 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Will TXST fall on it's face?!?! I think it will not. Last year our Defense was our achillies heal and it was obvious. So obvious our team brought in a new DC with experience and scene jut about everything you can imagine. Coach Bleil helped turn the UNT defense around prior to going to Tulane. His style of defense was impressive in the last scrimmage. Don't expect to see the "bend don't break" defense we ended with last year. Our offense still has plenty of weapons even though some of our play makers were move to defense to add speed to the secondary. Expect to see some freshmen come in and see playing time right away on offense and defense. No need to introduce them you'll learn their names soon enough. I would go so far as to say we can make a run for the Conference Title but hey, I'm bias. xpeacex

Seems to be a trend this year.

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Seems to be a trend this year.

Doing what it takes to win or making room for more talent to come in?

One of our Slots who played a big role in the recent pass offered to help our defense by making to move. He knew he was needed more on that side of the ball. Bleil may have something to with it too. He needs faster DB's and probably asked for some help.

blackfordpu
April 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Doing what it takes to win or making room for more talent to come in?

One of our Slots who played a big role in the recent pass offered to help our defense by making to move. He knew he was needed more on that side of the ball. Bleil may have something to with it too. He needs faster DB's and probably asked for some help.

That was not a knock on your team, just saying the Kats have looked into doing the same thing.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Recent examples include DD Terry, who went from LB to best RB in the league...and Billy Skinner who has done a little WR, a little DB -- no telling what he'll do next!

Lionsrking
April 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM

As for the Southeastern Lions, we should be improved but to what degree depends on the development of the offensive line. Anytime you lose four starters, including two who were three-year starters, there has to be a concern. That said, I think with what we have returning and with what's coming in, this could be our most physically talented O-line since bringing the program back. How fast they pick up the offense and come together as a unit will tell the tale as to how good we can be. We have plenty of weapons at the skill positions and if we get consistent play up front, we have potential to be pretty darn good offensively.

Defensively, I think we should see considerable improvement, especially up front. We played as many as seven true freshmen at one time on defensive last year, most of them in the front seven, and by the end of the season were playing pretty well. We've already made significant strides in the weight room and haven't even had a full off-season yet. Not to mention we get two of our best players back (Walter Vaughn and Keithshone Dantzler), both of whom missed last year due to injury.

I'm not going to predict wins and losses or where we'll finish in the SLC race, but we're getting to the point where we can compete with anyone. Maybe another year away from truly making a playoff push, but I like the direction we're headed in.

Retro
April 6th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I just hope the entire SLC wins a lot more OOC games including againest FBS teams..