PDA

View Full Version : Front Runners For the BUCK

Stang Fever
October 2nd, 2005, 07:27 PM
of course I am going to pick my man Chris Gocong...who the announcers yesterday refered to as King Kong

Hansel
October 2nd, 2005, 08:25 PM
he does have 10.5 sacks in 5 games... hopefully he takes a game off though ;)

Stang Fever
just curious to find out who else people might assume should win the award

Stang Fever
he does have 10.5 sacks in 5 games... hopefully he takes a game off though ;)
i hope not

Hansel
October 2nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Doughty from UNC is also averaging 15.2 tackles (total) a game (leading IAA), and has forced two fumbles

Stang Fever
October 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Doughty from UNC is also averaging 15.2 tackles (total) a game (leading IAA), and has forced two fumbles

Doughty is a really good player...but I wrote on a message board on here last week about a free saftey having that many tackles...

A few years back be fore poly got Rich Ellerson as the head coach...are free saftey Brett Baker year in and year out had 120+ tackles..and you know were that got us 3 consecutive 3-8 seasons...All his tackles show me that teams are getting passed the middle line backers...which will never be good...

However i saw the Poly game this year and boy oh boy was that guy all over the field...

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Chris Gocong would get my vote right now. Not only does he have impressive stats, but he also looks impressive when you watch film on him. Brady Fosmark has to be in the mix as well. Another guy who is off to a great start is defensive end Jason Hunter of Appalachian State. Free safety is a loaded position in I-AA this season and if Gocong doesn't win it, maybe one of those great free safeties can. Shannon James of UMass is excellent, Corey Lynch of ASU is having a great year. Cortland Finnegan of Samford was also very impressive when I saw him the other night. By far was the best player on the field. Reed Doughty is a quality player, but those tackle stats are just indicators of how bad the rest of the Northern Colorado defense is. The Bears have to have one of the worst run defenses in I-AA. I came away impressed when I saw linebacker Jerome Jones of Eastern Kentucky and Zak DeOssie of Brown is off to an excellent start.

Chi Panther
October 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Shannon James may have the best pro-talent....I think its difficult for a DB to win this award however......easy for QBs to throw away from Top DBs.

ngineer
October 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
Gotta put a plug for Anthony Graziani of Lehigh. He's been off to a great start, and his performance versus Delaware and Harvard were superlative. Came up with big plays in 'crunch time' situations. Two INTS and a sack this week against the Crimson.

rokamortis
October 2nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
I was wondering what kind of stats are needed to be in the running. Our defense usually is pretty even but a couple of our linebackers are doing pretty good.

Jamar Leath - 55 tackles (18 solo), 4 tackles for loss (total loss of 4 yards), 2 sacks (total loss of 3 yards), 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery (18 yard return)

Maurice Simpkins - 41 tackles (19 solo), 4 tackles for loss (total loss of 24 yards), 1 sack (total loss of 11 yards), 1 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery (0 yard return), 2 pass breakups

biobengal
October 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
I think Cocong and Charleston (ISU) are both playing great football. Interesting, ISU and Cal Poly have produced the last two Buchanan awards; could it be that Gocong (CP) and Charleston (ISU) could be playing against each other the last game of the year with the inside track on this award? You may not have heard of Jeff Charleston now, but you will. If there is a revised Buchanan list Charleston will be on it.

Chris Gocong (CPSLO) 37 Tackles 11 TFL, 11 Sacks, and 1 FR
Jeff Charleston (ISU) 26 Tackles, 10.5 TFL, 8.0 Sacks, 4 PBU, and 1 FF

Stang Fever
October 2nd, 2005, 11:46 PM
I think Cocong and Charleston (ISU) are both playing great football. Interesting, ISU and Cal Poly have produced the last two Buchanan awards; could it be that Gocong (CP) and Charleston (ISU) could be playing against each other the last game of the year with the inside track on this award? You may not have heard of Jeff Charleston now, but you will. If there is a revised Buchanan list Charleston will be on it.

Chris Gocong (CPSLO) 37 Tackles 11 TFL, 11 Sacks, and 1 FR
Jeff Charleston (ISU) 26 Tackles, 10.5 TFL, 8.0 Sacks, 4 PBU, and 1 FF

Dang i didnt know there stats are so close to each other...now that is very intresting

HensRock
October 3rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Delaware's Tom Parks, DT
9 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 2 pbu, and 3 blocked kicks

umassfan
October 3rd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Shannon James may have the best pro-talent....I think its difficult for a DB to win this award however......easy for QBs to throw away from Top DBs.

He also showed many that he is a great tackler during the game vs URI. He currently is tied for the UMass record in career INTs and in the active leader in INTs for a career for all D I(both A and AA)

eagleskins
October 3rd, 2005, 03:20 AM
How about John Mohring of GSU? Could be the fastest LB in the country.

umassfan
October 3rd, 2005, 03:26 AM
How about John Mohring of GSU? Could be the fastest LB in the country.
If speed were something important in winning the award, maybe, but its not.

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM
If speed were something important in winning the award, maybe, but its not.

Go ahead and ignore him FAN, he is fast, hits hard and although I do not know his stats at this time I bet he is in or close to averaging double digit tackles per game. I saw him, I know!!! :eek:

Kosty
October 3rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
See for yourself what his stats are through 5 games......

http://athletics.georgiasouthern.edu/sports/football/fbwebstats.pdf

I don't know if that's going to win any awards against guys with 8 and 11 sacks through 5 games!!! On top of the fact that the guy has no sacks.....

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
See for yourself what his stats are through 5 games......

http://athletics.georgiasouthern.edu/sports/football/fbwebstats.pdf

I don't know if that's going to win any awards against guys with 8 and 11 sacks through 5 games!!! On top of the fact that the guy has no sacks.....

Thanks for the info, He is still a very good player!