PDA

View Full Version : Spring Football in R.I.

Cobblestone
April 4th, 2008, 07:30 AM
It may be hard to believe but in the smallest state in the union we have three FCS teams (with Bryant moving up), this is a good article mentioning all three.

I'm looking forward to our Blue vs. White game on 4/26 so I can see the new Rizzi style offense. It's sure to be a major improvement.
==================================================

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/springfootball_04-04-08_D59L0S2_v7.2a606e1.html

lucchesicourt
April 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
My grandfather use to work at Bryant College, is it stilled called that or university? I live in CA now, but was born in RI. My dad was Navy.

dgreco
April 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
thought I would add in the Bryant notes, exciting stuff for first full time coaches...

- secondary coach Chad Walker, who worked with Nick Saban at LSU and the Miami Dolphins
- defensive line coach Chris Woods, former head coach at Stonehill and assistant coach at Harvard
- offensive line coach Joel Rodriguez, an academic All-America at the University of Miami, Tennessee Titans center and graduate assistant at Mississippi
- receivers coach Mark DeBrito, former Bentley All-America wide receiver, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Also I love this quote... "If we want to make the move and become the best college football team in Rhode Island, we have to compete against the high end of I-FCS(he said AA so I changed it ). It’s important to have someone like UMass on the schedule. We need a high-water mark,” from head coach Marty Fine

Cobblestone
April 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
thought I would add in the Bryant notes, exciting stuff for first full time coaches...

- secondary coach Chad Walker, who worked with Nick Saban at LSU and the Miami Dolphins
- defensive line coach Chris Woods, former head coach at Stonehill and assistant coach at Harvard
- offensive line coach Joel Rodriguez, an academic All-America at the University of Miami, Tennessee Titans center and graduate assistant at Mississippi
- receivers coach Mark DeBrito, former Bentley All-America wide receiver, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Also I love this quote... "If we want to make the move and become the best college football team in Rhode Island, we have to compete against the high end of I-FCS(he said AA so I changed it ). It’s important to have someone like UMass on the schedule. We need a high-water mark,” from head coach Marty Fine

Impressive staff. I hope all three R.I. schools do well this season.

dgreco
April 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Impressive staff. I hope all three R.I. schools do well this season.

I also hope in the near future... Like next season... That these schools try to all play each other

Cobblestone
April 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I also hope in the near future... Like next season... That these schools try to all play each other

Strongly agree. This is something we need to lobby our A.D.'s for.

Cobblestone
April 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Bryant scrimaged Brown last year, and a coach friend of mine said they got throttled pretty good, Bryant has a long road to hoe.Only time will tell if this was a good move.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Brown usually has a respectable team with a good passing game. Bryant has great facilities and an alumni with some pretty deep pockets who seem to be supportive our the program. I think Bryant will do just fine in the FCS.

PapaBear
April 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Bryant scrimaged Brown last year, and a coach friend of mine said they got throttled pretty good, Bryant has a long road to hoe.Only time will tell if this was a good move.

Agreed. It will be awhile before Bryant earns respect even as a mid-major (please, no calls 'n letters) FCS program.

I know a kid that starts for them. With all due respect, he couldn't play scout team for any of the good DIII programs in my area. He got only marginal playing time his senior year in high school -- on a team that finished below .500.

brownbear
April 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Brown has their schedule set in stone for the next four years. No space for Bryant until after that.

The Ivy League needs 11 games. The are too many non-conference teams that I want to play.

Ivytalk
April 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Could Roger Williams be far behind?:)

dgreco
April 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Could Roger Williams be far behind?:)

very far behind :D I think the RWU, SRU, RIC crowd are happy with DIII. Also, RWU is very dominate in the TCCC and DIII. I guess the same could of been said for Bryant.

to the maine fan, the kid can't be that bad, bryant is a respectable team in DII... Also, most of these kids are walk ons and not recruited with scholarships so maybe they he was told to walkon or they just needed kids the program is only 7 years old you need to start somewhere.

Also, I think it will take the 4 years to be competitive and good, but without a doubt Bryant is a school that will throw the money into athletics. I am not sure how much this coincides but Student Fees have gone up 300 dollars for the year and tuition has gone up 6,000. I think this is all to go towards athletics, because the average increase was about 1,000 in tuition and student fees were about 200 a year now they are at 500.

dgreco
April 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Salve is the only school listed with foorball.

yea, but I think they are all happy with the DIII placement. RWU is dominate in pretty much every sport. SRU is a middle tier team and can't really move and I could never imagine the state supporting two DI schools even though RIC has less sports.