PDA

View Full Version : TxSo To Talk to PVA&M AD

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
This would be a major get for Texas Southern. McClelland has worked wonders at Prairie View A&M. Coupled with a new President at Texas Southern, perhaps McClelland can work his magic a second time at another SWAC school...

TSU Gets Permission to Talk to McClelland
School Looking for New Athletics Director
HOUSTON -- Texas Southern University's search for a new athletics director now includes Prairie View A and M Athletics Director Charles McClelland. Prairie View A and M President George Wright told FOX 26 Sports he was contacted Tuesday by T.S.U. President John Rudley.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6203333&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

3rd Coast Tiger
April 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Charles McClelland to Texas Southern? xconfusedx

Sly Fox
April 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure how great of a get that would be based on my experience. But it certainly would add another wrinkle in that rivalry.

The TSU situation needs to improve ... in a hurry.

McNeese_beat
April 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
This would be a major get for Texas Southern. McClelland has worked wonders at Prairie View A&M. Coupled with a new President at Texas Southern, perhaps McClelland can work his magic a second time at another SWAC school...

TSU Gets Permission to Talk to McClelland
School Looking for New Athletics Director
HOUSTON -- Texas Southern University's search for a new athletics director now includes Prairie View A and M Athletics Director Charles McClelland. Prairie View A and M President George Wright told FOX 26 Sports he was contacted Tuesday by T.S.U. President John Rudley.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6203333&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

McNeese just hired his cousin, Tommy McClelland, as AD...just kidding, but it is interesting that there are two ADs named McClelland about two hours apart.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Still hadn't heard anything about this one. :D

TexasTerror
April 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM

You got Mark Berman on speed dial, 3rd Coast? He's waiting for the "Scoop"... xnodx

3rd Coast Tiger
April 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
You got Mark Berman on speed dial, 3rd Coast? He's waiting for the "Scoop"... xnodx

He'll have to wait until 1pm CST xrulesx

jstate83
April 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM

AHHH 3rd Coast.xconfusedx
What ya'll trying to do out there.xlolx

Ya'll have been non stop every since ya'll fired and hired the football coach.xrulesx
Gonna have to send out the word to my JSU spy network living in Houston to keep an eye on ya'll. xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
April 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
AHHH 3rd Coast.xconfusedx
What ya'll trying to do out there.xlolx

Ya'll have been non stop every since ya'll fired and hired the football coach.xrulesx
Gonna have to send out the word to my JSU spy network living in Houston to keep an eye on ya'll. xlolx

You better because we finally have a president in place that understands there is absolutely NO reason why we shouldn't dominate the other nine institutions because of our location and resources/athletes at our doorstep.

jstate83
April 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
You better because we finally have a president in place that understands their is absolutely NO reason why we shouldn't dominate the other nine institutions because of our location and resources/athletes at our doorstep.

Ain't gonna lie.
Been wondering why Texas Southern has not at least been in contention for the crown every year considering that big arse recruiting base known as TEXAS.

Never could understand why it's alway's been 2 or 3 win season's every year for decades.

Good luck cause it look's like the entire Texas Southern Sport's Department is getting a makeover.

McNeese_beat
April 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Ain't gonna lie.
Been wondering why Texas Southern has not at least been in contention for the crown every year considering that big arse recruiting base known as TEXAS.

Never could understand why it's alway's been 2 or 3 win season's every year for decades.

Good luck cause it look's like the entire Texas Southern Sport's Department is getting a makeover.

The short answer (and it's just a guess): Facilities!!!

Sometimes being in a big city works against you. When you lack facilities like TSU lacks facilities EVERYBODY knows about it and talks about it...you end up getting pressure not to go to that the school because everybody knows their dirty laundry.

That has happened for years in the metroplex with UTA basketball playing on the "stage" at Texas Hall. For the longest time, the hardest kid for them to recruit has been the kids in the metroplex who grow up hearing about how UTA is so small time they have to play basketball in the theater instead of a basketball arena.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
The short answer (and it's just a guess): Facilities!!!

Sometimes being in a big city works against you. When you lack facilities like TSU lacks facilities EVERYBODY knows about it and talks about it...you end up getting pressure not to go to that the school because everybody knows their dirty laundry.

That has happened for years in the metroplex with UTA basketball playing on the "stage" at Texas Hall. For the longest time, the hardest kid for them to recruit has been the kids in the metroplex who grow up hearing about how UTA is so small time they have to play basketball in the theater instead of a basketball arena.

Excellent point! Matter of fact, we've known this for decades. That is where Dr. Rudley is stepping in and making major upgrades with our entire athletic department:

* H&PE Arena (built 1989) about to undergo phase II of major renovations at the new basketball coach's request.

* Field House about to be torn down and completely rebuilt.

* In talks with Houston's professional soccer team (Dynamos) about partnership of new 22,000 stadium less than 4 miles from campus.

And I've never denied being in a large metropolitan city such as Houston is one of our biggest downfall.

McNeese_beat
April 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Excellent point! Matter of fact, we've known this for decades. That is where Dr. Rudley is stepping in and making major upgrades with our entire athletic department:

* H&PE Arena (built 1989) about to undergo phase II of major renovations at the new basketball coach's request.

* Field House about to be torn down and completely rebuilt.

* In talks with Houston's professional soccer team (Dynamos) about partnership of new 22,000 stadium less than 4 miles from campus.

And I've never denied being in a large metropolitan city such as Houston is one of our biggest downfall.

If and when you get that stadium partnership with the Dynamo, that will be huge!

Having said that, my experience — not just dealing with McNeese, but also opponents and just what I see around college athletics — is in this day and age, parents and players are more concerned about AMENITIES than they are the actual arena. In that context, knocking down the old field house and building a new one may be THE most important project you can have.

An example of this is with basketball at UALR. They were playing in the 18,000-seat muni arena Alltel Arena in North Little Rock. But they built a 5,600-seater on campus instead. Why? Not so much for the actual arena, but more for the auxillary practice gym, the academic center, the weight room and training room, the cushioned chairbacks for every seat in the house, the luxury boxes that become revenue sources, etc., etc. All right there ON campus. Gonzaga did a similar thing.

In both cases, there are still municipal arenas available for big time opponents. If the Hogs decide to play a road game at UALR, they'll play it at Alltel. If you see Gonzaga on TV on a Saturday afternoon, it'll probably be at Spokane Arena (well, it'll probably be on the road, but I'm just saying...).

In the case of football, it seems like the thing to do now is build an indoor practice facility, a new field house with a great locker room, player lounges, meeting spaces, study areas, etc., etc. All the stuff that mom will like when you visit campus.

Sly Fox
April 10th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I have to tell you that I'm not hearing much about the Dynamo partnership right now. But I realize it may be package deal to get the funding.

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I have to tell you that I'm not hearing much about the Dynamo partnership right now. But I realize it may be package deal to get the funding.

No one is...

It's been brought up on numerous fronts that it'd be beneficial to Texas Southern to get involved with the Dynamo partnership with the city of Houston as it relates to them playing football...

Has not been brought up in the media by any means...

3rd Coast Tiger
April 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Has not been brought up in the media by any means...

That does not discount the fact that Regent Javier Loya has met with Oliver Luck on this issue last week now does it Mr. Know All? Matter of fact, that was their third meeting on the subject. Hell, I've met with Luck twice on the issue.

Is the media aware of all meetings? No.

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Is the media aware of all meetings? No.

Exactly...it's not out there, just like I stated...

It does however make plenty of sense and would bail TxSo out of a pretty bad situation of playing on-campus at a facility that does not do the team justice while making the Dynamo deal with the city even more attractive...

Sly Fox
April 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
But one of the primary reasons the Dynamo are giving for building a new stadium to is to get away from sharing a field with a football team.

As for Oliver, he has to do his due diligence while he waits on the city's help. Even if the Dynamo have zero interest in a partnership with the Tigers he needs to give the appearance that there have been discussions.

Frankly I guess I am one of the few who actually thinks the improvements to the field on campus are in the program's best interests. I like the efforts made there and I believe it could become a very nice gameday environment.

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
But one of the primary reasons the Dynamo are giving for building a new stadium to is to get away from sharing a field with a football team.

The Dynamo also face the issue of weekday games at the current situation, which brings about some issues. The UH folks have made them move games before due to classes going on (recall the Dynamo playing at College Station last year in the CCC).

My question -- what's Pizza Hut Park do? I read somewhere they do some HS football games...do that wait til soccer season is over before they do that? What's the deal?

McNeese_beat
April 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM
The Dynamo also face the issue of weekday games at the current situation, which brings about some issues. The UH folks have made them move games before due to classes going on (recall the Dynamo playing at College Station last year in the CCC).

My question -- what's Pizza Hut Park do? I read somewhere they do some HS football games...do that wait til soccer season is over before they do that? What's the deal?

Evidently, Frisco ISD has some kind of working relationship with Pizza Hut Park. They have several games there.

MACHIAVELLI
April 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
TxSU made a huge mistake. They hired the wrong SWAC AD. Just like FAMU hired the wrong football coach. TxSU and FAMU are now Machiavelli enemies #1 & #1a

3rd Coast Tiger
April 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
TxSU made a huge mistake. They hired the wrong SWAC AD. Just like FAMU hired the wrong football coach. TxSU and FAMU are now Machiavelli enemies #1 & #1a

Why? Are you mad we didn't hire another particular AD? :D

MACHIAVELLI
April 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Why? Are you mad we didn't hire another particular AD? :D

TxSU xthumbsdownx
I'm coming for you Bobby Reid, be afraid
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/01/27/1106845967_9907.jpg

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM

You are not the first Grambling fan to say this. I think I've seen two or three Grambling fans say this. Is there a particular reason why?

Seems to be a very strong hire, inconsistent with the other two hires they made, both of whom have the NCAA and violations in their past (even got Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle discussing it... TSU Still Has Issues with the NCAA -- http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5692242.html)