PDA

View Full Version : Gateway up for grabs this year

igo4uni
October 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
After yesterday's games, I'm more convinced than ever that this is going to be a crazy year in the Gateway. SIU and WKU both won, but were challenged. Illinois State had a good showing in Youngstown, where the Penguins looked good as well. UNI had a good offensive performance against Western Illinois, but their defense has some holes. WIU will win some games against some good teams this year.

It should be a very interesting conference race. I don't think anyone goes undefeated in conference play.

peace

igo4uni

siugrad99
October 2nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
SIU needs to worry about WIU and not even think of a Gateway title. Our team is no where near as good as last season (to date). We should have lost yesterday. Unless they get their heads out of their Ass it could be a 7-4 / 6-5 type season real fast .

poharry
October 2nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
My gameplan against the Necks would be pass, pass, pass and pass somemore. Their DBs are atrocious and give way too much cushion. UNI could have put up 20 more points (even though they didn't need to) if they would have thrown more,

WIU's tackling is also suspect.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2005, 03:00 PM
The pre-season predictions are wrong. YSU & ILS are both going to have a say in the league. Both were picked for the bottom half. WRONG !!

I'll be surprised if anyone goes undefeated. And upsets galore. :p :nod:

galojay
October 2nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
I could see a three-way share of the title, and I couldn't even predict at this point who those teams even are!

FlyYtown
October 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
I said YSU 8-3.. That is 5-2 in the Gateway. Does that get them Playoffs?

igo4uni
October 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
I said YSU 8-3.. That is 5-2 in the Gateway. Does that get them Playoffs?

8-3 overall and 5-2 in Gateway will get YSU into the playoffs. Will be tough to do, though, imo.

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
The pre-season predictions are wrong. YSU & ILS are both going to have a say in the league. Both were picked for the bottom half. WRONG !!

Although there were close calls, there were no real upsets in the Gateway yesterday. I figured Ill. State/YSU for a tossup. YSU had the home field advantage so that one did not surprise me. SIU, WKU and UNI all won. I do have to agree that it will be tough for anyone to go undefeated in the Gateway this season. A tie for the title would not surprise me.

leatherneck177
October 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Wow, Poharry, I know you are telling it as it is, but give them some credit, sure we gave up 41 points, but there were some positives and WIU did play a very good UNI team that did not turn the ball over at all. I think that Patterson and WIU can be given some credit, this season will not be a total lose and a 6-5 record is a reality if they continue to make progress.

Yes, the Gateway is wide open. Those SIU and WKU scores really opened some eyes across the country I'm sure of that. It will be interesting to see, as it appears that a majority of the games this year can go either way.

Toppermaniac
October 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. You haven't played the teams picked to contend for the conference title as of yet.

PMB4Life
October 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Wow, Poharry, I know you are telling it as it is, but give them some credit, sure we gave up 41 points, but there were some positives and WIU did play a very good UNI team that did not turn the ball over at all. I think that Patterson and WIU can be given some credit, this season will not be a total lose and a 6-5 record is a reality if they continue to make progress.

Yes, the Gateway is wide open. Those SIU and WKU scores really opened some eyes across the country I'm sure of that. It will be interesting to see, as it appears that a majority of the games this year can go either way.

I agree with this for the most part. poharry says WIU could have given up 20 more to UNI if they'd have passed more, but I don't know... I think those 41 points were a combination of pass and run. If we'd have passed too much, WIU would have had a far easier time shutting us down.

WIU's offense is solid, but their defense is definitely going to hinder them this year. The good news is that they are probably better than most people thought.

poharry
October 2nd, 2005, 07:34 PM
Don't forget tuirnovers. WIU is far too generous in this department. Glasford is good for at least one a game. LaFalce fumble twice yesterday.

Sure the O got plenty of yardage yesterday, but UNI held wwhn they needed to.

With the D the Necks have they cannot afford to get into shootouts. I also don't think our run D is where it needs to be.