PDA

View Full Version : Montana St. get late QB signing

CatFan22
April 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.bakersfield.com/136/story/404889.html

Football's national signing day was nearly two months ago, but former Liberty coach Chad Provensal thinks Byron Campbell will be worth the wait for Montana State.

The Bobcats, a Division I-AA team from the Big Sky Conference, signed Campbell to a national letter of intent Tuesday, grabbing a quarterback Provensal thinks could have been a Division I-A player.

"To me, there wasn't much separation in quarterback camps (between Campbell and highly touted quarterbacks)," Provensal said. "He had just as strong an arm, and his lateral movement was comparable.

"He was a little disappointed at first when he didn't get more Division I-A offers, but it's like I tell these kids: There's good ball everywhere."

Montana State, which went 6-5 last year, has a second-year head coach in Ron Ash and runs a pro-style offense similar to what Provensal ran at Liberty. Provensal resigned after last season and has been replaced by Liberty baseball coach Tony Mills.

Campbell threw for 1,747 yards and 18 touchdowns for the Patriots in his senior season.

"I think personally it's a steal for Montana State, though I'm a little biased," Provensal said. "Some Division I-A schools offered him a grayshirt situation (paying your way through the first semester so any scholarship offer counts against the next year's limit), but that's not something he wanted to do. He wanted to go somewhere that really wanted him."

2-star QB on scout.com:
http://stanford.scout.com/a.z?s=18&p=8&c=1&nid=2993404

trouthunter
April 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sounds like a great pickup for the puddy-tats. All bias aside, I am looking forward to see what Ash is going to be able to do with the cats with a full year under his belt.

Now that Hilliard is gone, hopefully "The Beak" will take the hobbles off of Phenicie and incorporate more passing into the offense.

GOKATS
April 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Good size & sounds pretty mobile, plays shortstop on the baseball team.

From MSU-

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Byron Campbell, a quarterback at Bakersfield
(Calif.) Liberty High School, has signed a National Letter-of-Intent to
join the Montana State football program, MSU coach Rob Ash announced.
Campbell, a 6-4, 210 lb signal caller, threw for 1,747 yards and
18 touchdowns for the Patriots last year. Ash feels the Bobcats landed a
solid prospect.
"Byron is a big, strong-armed quarterback who is very mobile,"
Ash said. "He's a good athlete, who plays shortstop for his high school
baseball team. He fits the quarterback profile in our system, because he
is mobile and can make plays in a number of different ways."

-msu-