PDA

View Full Version : EKU/JSU

colonelblitz
October 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
31-14 EKU 4th .. 8min remaining

EKUColonel
October 1st, 2005, 09:12 PM
This is a huge win for EKU. EKU now controls their own destiny in the OVC.

ekufbfan
October 1st, 2005, 09:59 PM
How Sweet It Is! GOOOOOOOO COLONELS!! :)

galojay
October 1st, 2005, 11:03 PM
Glad to see you guys pull one out!

Saint3333
October 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the win, keep them coming.

asu70
October 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Great win for EKU. IMHO, EKU has a top 16 team in 1aa football and I've had that opinion since the start of the season. Also, I think EKU is by far the best 1aa team that ASU has played to this date.

ekufbfan
October 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Great win for EKU. IMHO, EKU has a top 16 team in 1aa football and I've had that opinion since the start of the season. Also, I think EKU is by far the best 1aa team that ASU has played to this date.

I am sure we are better than the non-ranking we currently have. But, we started off with three losses (2 of which could have easily been wins), nevertheless, you don't get votes based on L's. The thing that has always been my gripe is that if start off high in the polls and lose, you may never drop out of the top 25. On the other hand if you start off unranked and lose, you are pretty much doomed no matter what you do after the first 3 games. We used to play the likes of West Virginia State/Tech (or whoever they are, sound familiar wku?) and Slippery Rock and could put them in the W column, but Coach Hope is going a different route. HOPEfully, it will pay off as the season progresses. But, THANKS asu70 for the vote of confidence.

I have always liked playing you guys. We have always been treated with class in Boone. If we could ever shake the OVC, would like to see us and few other SO Co members in a conference together.

GO EKU!Take back the OVC and bring the championship HOME where it belongs! :)

asu70
October 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
EKUFBFAN, ditto for me and my experience with EKU. I think that you guys and App have so much in common that it would be great for both of our schools to be in a conference of 8 or 10 likewise universities.

ekufbfan
October 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
I have been following EKU fb for more years than I care to say, however I can tell you that the schedule we play in the OVC now just isn't cutting it for most EKU fans. Now there are those who will say (and rightfully so) that we haven't won the OVC for a long time and win the conference before you talk leaving the OVC. I disagree. Our new AD said, you can only go as far as your conference will let you. With the OVC and fb, that's not going to be very far. It is a well known fact that many (most?) of the OVC schools consider themselves a basketball school (and the OVC a bb conference). My question is, WHY would you not want both? Neverthelss, when we were in the national limelight all the time we were playing Marshall, Furman, YSU, GA Southern, MTSU and of course wku and App State (along with others) and EKU fans enjoyed playing and would travel to these games. Playing UT-Martin and SEMO just does not cut it and I don't think it will get any better. JSU is worthy fb opponent, no doubt, but how long can EKU and JSU hold a conference together and move football forward with two teams who are the only ones who really give two hoots about their fb team!? :bang:

galojay
October 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
WOW... a rational, logical, OVC fan. Its nice to see soemone finally admit the OVC has lost its luster. WKU got critized for leaving the OVC and not moving back in 2000, but it is clear that the OVC is not what it used to be and the powers that be in the OVC really have no ambition to take it anywhere.

ekufbfan
October 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
WOW... a rational, logical, OVC fan. Its nice to see soemone finally admit the OVC has lost its luster. WKU got critized for leaving the OVC and not moving back in 2000, but it is clear that the OVC is not what it used to be and the powers that be in the OVC really have no ambition to take it anywhere.

There are EKU fans who feel the same way as I do. EKU should have left years ago when the So Co gave us the first invitation. (We had a pres during those years named, Funderburk...need I say more...he put us back in the dark ages with everything from athletics to the physical condition of the campus. I said at the time we would pay the price 10 years down the road and we are). I would be elated if we would kiss the OVC goodbye forever... I see no future there. Now, I can just hear the other ovc'ers saying "Don't let the door hit you in the .......". As you know galojay, many don't want to hear what we already know, you ain't goin' nowhere with the ovc!

Cincy App
October 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Great win Colonels - congratulations! I agree with ASU 70, you're easily the best I-AA team we have faced to date. I also hope our series gets renewed next season. You're in the driver's seat of the OVC now. Good luck the rest of the way.

galojay
October 2nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Maybe I've just been talking to too many Murray State fans, they seem to love the OVC.

ekufbfan
October 2nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Maybe I've just been talking to too many Murray State fans, they seem to love the OVC.

What else CAN they say? Hey, maybe they do but they can have it! As you probably know, they seem to be only interested in bb (and how many transfers they can get on campus for every sport...can you say Transfer U, Oh, excuse me, The Public-Ivy League Transfer U!

Killtoppers90
October 2nd, 2005, 09:41 PM
What else CAN they say? Hey, maybe they do but they can have it! As you probably know, they seem to be only interested in bb (and how many transfers they can get on campus for every sport...can you say Transfer U, Oh, excuse me, The Public-Ivy League Transfer U!
The question is where can Murray go? And congrats on the big win against JSU! You guys are coming on strong!

galojay
October 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
The question is where can Murray go? And congrats on the big win against JSU! You guys are coming on strong!

Murray State would do well in the MVC. EKU might look to the Horizon League, maybe put football in the Gateway. I wouldn't mind having EKU has Gateway Conference member.

Cocky
October 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM
I have been following EKU fb for more years than I care to say, however I can tell you that the schedule we play in the OVC now just isn't cutting it for most EKU fans. Now there are those who will say (and rightfully so) that we haven't won the OVC for a long time and win the conference before you talk leaving the OVC. I disagree. Our new AD said, you can only go as far as your conference will let you. With the OVC and fb, that's not going to be very far. It is a well known fact that many (most?) of the OVC schools consider themselves a basketball school (and the OVC a bb conference). My question is, WHY would you not want both? Neverthelss, when we were in the national limelight all the time we were playing Marshall, Furman, YSU, GA Southern, MTSU and of course wku and App State (along with others) and EKU fans enjoyed playing and would travel to these games. Playing UT-Martin and SEMO just does not cut it and I don't think it will get any better. JSU is worthy fb opponent, no doubt, but how long can EKU and JSU hold a conference together and move football forward with two teams who are the only ones who really give two hoots about their fb team!? :bang:

I agree 100% EKU and JSU are the only schools in the OVC that care about football. We have several fans that would like to leave. The problem is where do you go. The SOCON,GATE, CAA, and Southland have too much travel for us. The best thing for us would be a new conference but that is very unlikely as I-AA has very little leadership in anything. It would take a very strong leader to pull that off. Our next best alternative would be get several D-II to move up (West Ga, North Alabama, Valdosta, and Kennesaw St.). The only other move would be to move to I-A which we don't have the resources to be anymore than a Sunbelt team.