PDA

View Full Version : SoCon rankings

GSU Eagle
October 1st, 2005, 08:04 PM
Well, what a day in the SoCon. Chatt upsets Wofford and Citadel beats WCU at WCU. It is hard to decide how to rank the teams right now. I think Appalachian is a clear #1. After that who knows. Here is my best shot

1. Appalachian St.
2. Furman. Still giving up lots of points, but they keep winning.
3. GSU. Last 2 weeks the combined total was GSU 97 2 opponents 17. So at least for now GSU seems to be back.
4. Wofford. I know Wofford beat GSU, but they just lost to Chatt. today.
5. Chattanooga. I move them ahead of WCU after today.
6. WCU. Losing at home to Citadel is really a bad loss.
7. Citadel. Today's win helps offset somewhat the thrashing they took last week at home vs. Appalachian.
8. Elon. Last week I had Elon at #6, but today they showed that they are the bottom of the league.

Maybe I moved WCU down too far as I dropped them from #3 to #6 after today's loss. You can't just rank teams by head-to-head. I try to look at the entire season. Head to head WCU would have to be ahead of Furman and Wofford would be ahead of GSU and Chattanooga would be ahead of Wofford.

The SoCon appears to be more balanced this year than ever. Next week there are 2 huge games: Appalachian vs. Furman and WCU vs. GSU.

Thoughts?

eagleskins
October 2nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
Well, what a day in the SoCon. Chatt upsets Wofford and Citadel beats WCU at WCU. It is hard to decide how to rank the teams right now. I think Appalachian is a clear #1. After that who knows. Here is my best shot

1. Appalachian St.
2. Furman. Still giving up lots of points, but they keep winning.
3. GSU. Last 2 weeks the combined total was GSU 97 2 opponents 17. So at least for now GSU seems to be back.
4. Wofford. I know Wofford beat GSU, but they just lost to Chatt. today.
5. Chattanooga. I move them ahead of WCU after today.
6. WCU. Losing at home to Citadel is really a bad loss.
7. Citadel. Today's win helps offset somewhat the thrashing they took last week at home vs. Appalachian.
8. Elon. Last week I had Elon at #6, but today they showed that they are the bottom of the league.

Maybe I moved WCU down too far as I dropped them from #3 to #6 after today's loss. You can't just rank teams by head-to-head. I try to look at the entire season. Head to head WCU would have to be ahead of Furman and Wofford would be ahead of GSU and Chattanooga would be ahead of Wofford.

The SoCon appears to be more balanced this year than ever. Next week there are 2 huge games: Appalachian vs. Furman and WCU vs. GSU.

Thoughts?

I'm going to be a homer, but I think GSU is the best team in the league. Appy can't stop anyone. We are hitting our stride later than last year, which is a good thing. WCU is going to get smoked next week.

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2005, 03:59 AM
I'm going to be a homer, but I think GSU is the best team in the league. Appy can't stop anyone. We are hitting our stride later than last year, which is a good thing. WCU is going to get smoked next week.
You obviously haven't been paying attention to this year's App State defense. The return of Jason Hunter at defensive end and Corey Lynch at free safety has done wonders for the Mountaineers on that side of the ball. Not only are they shutting teams down (with the exception of Kansas), but they also are scoring points on defense. Don't take WCU's defense too lightly, they have great team speed an pursue very well. Also remember that GSU must play ASU in Boone, a place the EAgles have traditionally played poorly.

dungeonjoe
October 2nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
...that GSU must play ASU in Boone, a place the EAgles have traditionally played poorly.

Whatever happens in Boone, the one thing that can be said of this SoCon football season is that "tradition" has been thrown out the window.

catamount man
October 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM
Whatever happens in Boone, the one thing that can be said of this SoCon football season is that "tradition" has been thrown out the window.

Gotta be honest, I'm loving the parity. Don't get me wrong, losing to El Cid sucked a big one, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet and I know WCU isn't. El Cid is gonna beat some other teams before all is said and done. We just have to regroup, but I can assure you, our kids will not be intimidated in Statesboro. GSU may win, but I have a feeling WCU will give as good as they get. My 2. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ButlerGSU
October 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
It certainly will be a very hard fought game. It will come down to the team that makes the least mistakes. The SoCon is up for anyone to win.

eagleskins
October 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
You obviously haven't been paying attention to this year's App State defense. The return of Jason Hunter at defensive end and Corey Lynch at free safety has done wonders for the Mountaineers on that side of the ball. Not only are they shutting teams down (with the exception of Kansas), but they also are scoring points on defense. Don't take WCU's defense too lightly, they have great team speed an pursue very well. Also remember that GSU must play ASU in Boone, a place the EAgles have traditionally played poorly.

They didn't stop EKU either. Other than Kansas, Appy has not played any good offensive teams.

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
They didn't stop EKU either. Other than Kansas, Appy has not played any good offensive teams.
Were you at that game? Didn't think so, or you wouldn't be saying that. ASU held a very good EKU offense to 16 points and harrassed the heck out of quarterback Josh Greco. EKU put up 31 on Jacksonville State and 52 on Tennessee Tech. Coastal Carolina put 31 points up against the defending national champs from James Madison, but could score only three against ASU. I guarantee you that Mike Sewak or Bobby Lamb won't be underestimating the Appalachian defense.

Saint3333
October 2nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Citadel runs a bad version of the spread offense used by ASU, so I'm liking our chances in Nov. better after yesterday.

ASU can't stop anyone? Ask CCU and Citadel.

Who has GSU stopped... Elon.

See you in Boone.

RedZoneMoc
October 2nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
1. GSU

2. Appy State

3. Furman

4. Chattanooga

4. Western Carolina

6. Wofford

7. The Citadel

7. Elon

Still a lot of games left to play, but it looks like an exciting year. It looks like next weekend will clear up the standings, but looking at scores and winners over the last few weeks you cannot judge upcoming games based on previous shared opponents (Chattanooga-Wofford perfect example). I have to give the nod to the big-3 for now. They deserve to be at the top until the others knock them off.

Obviously the SoCon champion makes playoffs, but how many more SoCon teams make playoffs? If we keep knocking each other around, how many conference L's knocks a team out of the playoffs??

asu70
October 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
ASU can't stop anyone, you must still be living in 2004! The ASU defense is allowing just over 10pts. a game against 1aa oponents. Those 3 oponents only have 4 loses to 1aa opponents with 3 of those against App and the other EKU losing at WKU in a close one; also to bring you up to date here in 2005, only one of those 4 games for App was played at " The Rock" and that was the 30-3 thumping of previously unbeaten CCU.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Furman will be the best I-AA offense ASU has faced. ASU will be the most balanced team (run/pass/defense) Furman has faced. Only real problem Furman has had on offense is turnovers. If we turn the ball over, ASU will capitalize. Realizing FU gave up a lot of points to GW it was after the score was 42-10.

1. ASU
2. Furman
3. GSU
4. WCU ( bad lose but one game does not totally blow them out)
5. Chatt ( one win does not get them in)
6. Wofford (playing more like I expected this year)
7. Citadel
8. Elon

as always subject to change after the next week.

catamount man
October 2nd, 2005, 02:32 PM
(as of 3:33 p.m. 10/2/05 and my opinion only)
1) App.State
2) Ga.Southern
3) WCU
4) Furman
5) Chatt.
6) Citadel
7) Wofford
8) Elon

Our defense has still only given up 52 total points all season, so my towel in still firmly on my shoulder. Just need a dang consistent offense. :bang: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
October 2nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
The difference in opinion shows two things (1) This isn't the typical SoCon year and (2) it is still early. :)

We all seem to agree that Elon is on the bottom.

Next week clears things up alot.

youwouldno
October 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
App isn't going to stop Furman's offense, the question is which team can score more points.

Whoever wins that contest has to be considered #1 until proven otherwise... GSU lost to McNeese and Wofford-- who just lost to UTC-- and then beat up on two crappy team (including UTC). I'm not sure that makes them better than App, who beat CCU & EKU (and Citadel). Well, actually I'm sure it doesn't, but there are plenty of games left.

Saint3333
October 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
This isn't the SoCon of the late 1998-2002 with GSU, Furman, and ASU dominating, but this is the most parity in the SoCon I can remember. With WCU's defense they can beat anyone in the conference and as we all know Wofford and UTC are know for sneaking up and "upsetting" one of the favorites. The next two weeks scare me, but they should be fun games to watch! See you guys in Greenville, hopefully we'll bring a lot of fans, the band is coming.

GoGSU
October 2nd, 2005, 07:31 PM
Furman can't stop anyone..............App wins by 21............GSU is pissed about the 2 losses..........GSU kills WCU by 28............can't wait to go to Boone!

Baldy
October 2nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
I'm sure I'll receive hate mail about this but Wofford isn't that good at all, and that makes our loss to them suck even more. If the team that showed up against UTC and Elon played that night, we beat the pups by 4-5 TD's easily.

Saint3333
October 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
It's just the general progression of another GSU QB. It always takes with about a month and half to get the offense rolling. Unfortunately it usually right before the ASU game...

GoGSU
October 2nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but I wish we were playing App in Statesboro! Even a bad App State team can be hard to beat in Boone... :nod:

soweagle
October 3rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
From what I have read it appears that App is the team to beat. The only weakness I have heard of from App is special teams which could factor big time against Furman this year. People seem to forget how bad Furman wants ASU this year after the last three years. Emotion and home field will carry the Paladins to a close victory this weekend.

asu70
October 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
ASU's punter has been very inconsistant and down right ugly in the Citadel game. If we don't get our punting game under control, it's going to cost us big time!

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
ASU's punter has been very inconsistant and down right ugly in the Citadel game. If we don't get our punting game under control, it's going to cost us big time!

Supposedly the kicker/punter is going to be doing only the kicking for the Furman game. that should allow him more practice time at that one duty.

appst89
October 3rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
From what I have read it appears that App is the team to beat. The only weakness I have heard of from App is special teams which could factor big time against Furman this year. People seem to forget how bad Furman wants ASU this year after the last three years. Emotion and home field will carry the Paladins to a close victory this weekend.

People keep mentioning the last three years when ASU has beaten Furman. The way we look at it is that things are finally starting to balance out. Furman won many games in this series when it looked as if ASU should win. The last three years have only scratched the surface of the poetic justice deficit that ASU has built up over the years.

I'm not ready to predict an ASU win, but I think our guys want this game at least as much as Furman does. It should be one for the ages.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
People keep mentioning the last three years when ASU has beaten Furman. The way we look at it is that things are finally starting to balance out. Furman won many games in this series when it looked as if ASU should win. The last three years have only scratched the surface of the poetic justice deficit that ASU has built up over the years.

I'm not ready to predict an ASU win, but I think our guys want this game at least as much as Furman does. It should be one for the ages.

I am not going to disagree with your premise, but short term memories involving the current players on the team are stronger than the long term memories of the fans.

soweagle
October 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM

I also feel that the emotion will be a factor in the GSU/ASU game. ASU will want revenge, now GSU will want the win as well but I am a firm believer in heart wins ballgames between comparable skill levels which I think GSU, Furman, and ASU all have. It all boils down to who wants it more IMHO. If I was Bobby Lamb I would use those 3 losses as a huge motivation tool for this week. I don't think Furman is the better team right now but they have the tools to beat ASU this weekend.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
FU vs ASU, the key for Furman, defense aside, is turnovers. You can't balem the defense when you hand the ball to the other team on your 20. We have been horrible. I am not sure what the stat is but it is somewhere between 13 and 15 over the last five games. If that stat continues there is no way the Paladins beat the Mountaineers. If, and it is a big if because we have not done it yet, we can control the turnovers, then game on. Otherwise, we will end up somewhere in the middle of the pack.

mtnman
October 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
asu defense is back u must not know alot about us u will see in boone.i know u will not score 50 on us this year. from what i see gsu has not been as good in a few years look out for wcu you will have your hand full to get past them

soweagle
October 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM
mtnman,
I think most intelligent posters on here realize that AppState's defense is certainly "back" to the old ASU defense and that last year was simply last year.

OL FU
October 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM
mtnman,
I think most intelligent posters on here realize that AppState's defense is certainly "back" to the old ASU defense and that last year was simply last year.

Unless you are Furman and then last year is this year :confused: ;)

AppGuy04
October 4th, 2005, 03:50 PM
i'd have to agree, but remember, davon is gone, and the offense isn't what it was last year

yes, richie is having a good year, but not the #'s like last year

if the defense if off one day we might be in trouble cause i don't think we can put up the same amount of points we did last year

as for FU, i don't think I can handle another game like last year, so lets hope the D does is job

OL FU
October 4th, 2005, 03:54 PM
i'd have to agree, but remember, davon is gone, and the offense isn't what it was last year

yes, richie is having a good year, but not the #'s like last year

if the defense if off one day we might be in trouble cause i don't think we can put up the same amount of points we did last year

as for FU, i don't think I can handle another game like last year, so lets hope the D does is job

Then you better watch this game with your eyes closed. ;)

AppGuy04
October 4th, 2005, 03:57 PM
yeah, i know, its gonna be close

good thing i won't be able to watch, just getting updates on the cell phone

or maybe you can do a live webcast for me

SoCon48
October 4th, 2005, 07:29 PM
mtnman,

it's far from back to where it was in the great years, but much improved over last year's "freshmen" team.

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 07:27 AM
not to mention we got corey lynch back, and he's leading the world in INT's

blueballs
October 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM
ASU is miles better than they were defensively last year, but not as strong as some of their previous units simply because they've had some great d-linemen in the past.

ASU's next two games (@FU, GSU) will be decided by whoever wins the turnover statistic.

SoCon48
October 5th, 2005, 08:04 AM
ASU is miles better than they were defensively last year, but not as strong as some of their previous units simply because they've had some great d-linemen in the past.

ASU's next two games (@FU, GSU) will be decided by whoever wins the turnover statistic.

It's hell playing Furman and GSU back to back. Don't know which one to fear most. Furman is highly ranked but GSU is the only team to stop Richie last year. And boy did they stop him. 60 yds passing and like 4 rushing. :eek:

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
It's hell playing Furman and GSU back to back. Don't know which one to fear most. Furman is highly ranked but GSU is the only team to stop Richie last year. And boy did they stop him. 60 yds passing and like 4 rushing. :eek:

but neither team is as good as last year IMO

Eaglegus2
October 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM
but neither team is as good as last year IMO

I have to agree that GSU and Furman are no way the teams they should be this year.

There are plenty of games left in the season for them to improve. Which they will.

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I mean, come on, when has Western ever been in the conversation?

phoenixsq
October 5th, 2005, 10:47 PM
:confused: OK, I know our peers in the SoCon give Elon no respect, and we did not help ourselves last week, but I still think you need to lighten up on us. If people have forgotten, last year we beat UTC in their house and EL Cid at home pretty solidly. We only lost to Furman 10-0 and we were in the Wofford game until the end (Loss 27-14). Just a couple of weeks ago UTC took a whipping at the hands of GSU (who among us in the SoCon have not at one time been drilled by GSU????). I believe we won more game in two years than VMI did in a four year period. So do not totally over look us. I agree we desperately need to earn our stripes in the SoCon. Just watch out we might step up and bite someone (I might eat these words after this week)!

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM
:confused: OK, I know our peers in the SoCon give Elon no respect, and we did not help ourselves last week, but I still think you need to lighten up on us. If people have forgotten, last year we beat UTC in their house and EL Cid at home pretty solidly. We only lost to Furman 10-0 and we were in the Wofford game until the end (Loss 27-14). Just a couple of weeks ago UTC took a whipping at the hands of GSU (who among us in the SoCon have not at one time been drilled by GSU????). I believe we won more game in two years than VMI did in a four year period. So do not totally over look us. I agree we desperately need to earn our stripes in the SoCon. Just watch out we might step up and bite someone (I might eat these words after this week)!

You're right. You have to realize that a lot of the flak comes from the boasting by some Elon posters just before they entered the SoCon as to how they had already proven they were as good as or better than the top 3 of the SoCon. Still few have admitted that part of the Phoenix problem has been the tougher level of play week in--week out in the SoCon. In fact one even said it had nothing to do with strength of the SoCon. it was all bad coaching (even tho Seagroves was still coach at the time).

Anyway, most think Elon is back on the right track.

As to already winning more than VMI did in 4 years. It would greatly depend on which 4 VMI years. VMI has had SoCon 5-1 (1st place), 4-1 (1st place), 4-1, 3-1, 3-5, records in some of their years. Even at their worst, they finished in last place only 6 times in their last 20 years in the conference.

Actually VMI won as many in their last ONE year in the SoCon than Elon did in the last two years. (3) They won 5 in 4 years vs the 2 years you mentioned.

Black and Gold Express
October 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I believe Elon 1999 = Coastal Carolina 2004/2005. The question would become, should Coastal get into the SoCon (and teams like ASU and GSU are still there), how many wins would they rack up in conference? Would Coastal do better than Elon?

My initial thoughts are yes, but tempered somewhat since Elon looked so good in 1999 and a good 2000 season too. Then really struggled once joining the SoCon.

My guess is 3-4 tops for CCU. They'd knock off Elon (though Elon played them a lot tougher than I think some figured they would), one of Citadel/Chattanooga, although you can't say that for certainty this year. Wofford? I'd give them 50/50 on that. Western? I'd say 40/60. If the Cats got any offense in that game they'd win by 14, but that offense seems capable of going in the tank for a day at any time. And the Big Three would manhandle them.

People like to bash the bottom half of the SoCon, but in truth there's really only one doormat right now, and that is Elon. And I do wish that would change for them, it will help the conference as a whole to have every team not be looked on as a walkover game. Teams like The Citadel and Cattanooga are ones people keep expecting to get better, and this year they are finally starting to prove that. Elon's the one school I don't see much improvement from.

based on that, I'm not sold on Elon being on the right track, as long as Hamilton is there. He's a good coordinator-type, not a good head coach. I think he's done more harm than good so far, especially last year with the whole Kye situation. That seems to anger a lot of fans and turned 2004 into a go-nowhere season. And that's something Elon couldn't afford to have and make strides in 2005.

phoenixsq
October 6th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I believe Elon 1999 = Coastal Carolina 2004/2005. The question would become, should Coastal get into the SoCon (and teams like ASU and GSU are still there), how many wins would they rack up in conference? Would Coastal do better than Elon?

My initial thoughts are yes, but tempered somewhat since Elon looked so good in 1999 and a good 2000 season too. Then really struggled once joining the SoCon.

My guess is 3-4 tops for CCU. They'd knock off Elon (though Elon played them a lot tougher than I think some figured they would), one of Citadel/Chattanooga, although you can't say that for certainty this year. Wofford? I'd give them 50/50 on that. Western? I'd say 40/60. If the Cats got any offense in that game they'd win by 14, but that offense seems capable of going in the tank for a day at any time. And the Big Three would manhandle them.

People like to bash the bottom half of the SoCon, but in truth there's really only one doormat right now, and that is Elon. And I do wish that would change for them, it will help the conference as a whole to have every team not be looked on as a walkover game. Teams like The Citadel and Cattanooga are ones people keep expecting to get better, and this year they are finally starting to prove that. Elon's the one school I don't see much improvement from.

based on that, I'm not sold on Elon being on the right track, as long as Hamilton is there. He's a good coordinator-type, not a good head coach. I think he's done more harm than good so far, especially last year with the whole Kye situation. That seems to anger a lot of fans and turned 2004 into a go-nowhere season. And that's something Elon couldn't afford to have and make strides in 2005.

Tragically, you are right about the Kye thing. It is hurting us. :bang: We have the players and the facilties. But I question the coaching and the QB situation. But I still say we can play with the lower half of the league. We will see abou this weekend. Maybe the football Gods will look down on us!!!

OL FU
October 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I know this is not the purpose of the thread, but I will take Elon over VMI. I realize that VMI was a long term member in the SoCon (joined prior to FU) but I believe Elon will make the effort to get better.

FU's record since 1980 against VMI from diaafootball.com
No offense to the Keydets.

09/28/2002 55-28 W
09/22/2001 65-7 W
09/23/2000 35-21 W
09/25/1999 58-0 W
09/26/1998 51-14 W
09/27/1997 35-14 W
09/28/1996 31-14 W
09/23/1995 55-24 W
10/22/1994 28-11 W
10/30/1993 24-0 W
10/03/1992 41-13 W
10/05/1991 46-28 W
10/06/1990 51-22 W
09/30/1989 30-6 W
10/01/1988 31-13 W
11/07/1987 38-0 W
09/20/1986 34-3 W
10/01/1983 49-0 W
10/02/1982 38-3 W
11/14/1981 33-21 W
09/27/1980 21-16 W

SoCon48
October 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I know this is not the purpose of the thread, but I will take Elon over VMI. I realize that VMI was a long term member in the SoCon (joined prior to FU) but I believe Elon will make the effort to get better.

FU's record since 1980 against VMI from diaafootball.com
No offense to the Keydets.

09/28/2002 55-28 W
09/22/2001 65-7 W
09/23/2000 35-21 W
09/25/1999 58-0 W
09/26/1998 51-14 W
09/27/1997 35-14 W
09/28/1996 31-14 W
09/23/1995 55-24 W
10/22/1994 28-11 W
10/30/1993 24-0 W
10/03/1992 41-13 W
10/05/1991 46-28 W
10/06/1990 51-22 W
09/30/1989 30-6 W
10/01/1988 31-13 W
11/07/1987 38-0 W
09/20/1986 34-3 W
10/01/1983 49-0 W
10/02/1982 38-3 W
11/14/1981 33-21 W
09/27/1980 21-16 W

Thing is, neither Elon nor VMI played Furman every week. But, just as unfortunately Elon had to play the ones they lost 12 conference games to in 2 years.
In addition, I for one, respect their long tradition and the fact that they did win some SoCon championships as recently as '77 and runner-up in '79. Technically a tie for 3rd in '02.
Their tradition includes (and not all of it in another era) wins over:

Citadel 30X, ETSU 8X, Elon 1X, Furman 8X, UTC 7X, Wofford 10X, WCU 3X, and ASU 4X. In addition, Delaware 1X, ECU 1X, Clemson 5X, James Madison, 3X, UNC 6X, etc etc etc. When Elon does that, I'll admit an even swap.

And heck, Elon is 1/5 underway to match that 20 year VMI-Furman record already. Furman has won the past 5 in a row including a couple of stompings (46-7 and 57-7). :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

bigred
October 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the support. The Keydets definitely have had a successfull season or two in their history (1891-2005), but that was in the 60s and 70s when football was still played by true student athletes. Just not so anymore. Last Div I victory was against the Hokies in 1981...seems like a lifetime.

http://www.vmikeydets.com/articles/artfiles/71240_Records_and_History.pdf

I would like to point out that VMI actually beat Furman in 1989...Yeah us!!!

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the support. The Keydets definitely have had a successfull season or two in their history (1891-2005), but that was in the 60s and 70s when football was still played by true student athletes. Just not so anymore. Last Div I victory was against the Hokies in 1981...seems like a lifetime.

http://www.vmikeydets.com/articles/artfiles/71240_Records_and_History.pdf

I would like to point out that VMI actually beat Furman in 1989...Yeah us!!!

It is my opinion that true student atheletes still play at Furman.

And you must be talking about basketball in '89. I have checked more than one source and VMI lost the last 20 games played against FU and that includes '89.

FU lost two games in '89 the first one against Clemson and the last one against SF Austin. FU 30 VMI 6 in '89.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Thing is, neither Elon nor VMI played Furman every week. But, just as unfortunately Elon had to play the ones they lost 12 conference games to in 2 years.
In addition, I for one, respect their long tradition and the fact that they did win some SoCon championships as recently as '77 and runner-up in '79. Technically a tie for 3rd in '02.
Their tradition includes (and not all of it in another era) wins over:

Citadel 30X, ETSU 8X, Elon 1X, Furman 8X, UTC 7X, Wofford 10X, WCU 3X, and ASU 4X. In addition, Delaware 1X, ECU 1X, Clemson 5X, James Madison, 3X, UNC 6X, etc etc etc. When Elon does that, I'll admit an even swap.

And heck, Elon is 1/5 underway to match that 20 year VMI-Furman record already. Furman has won the past 5 in a row including a couple of stompings (46-7 and 57-7). :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We agree. I do respect VMI's tradition. As I mentioned they joined the SoCon before Furman. I wish they had remained in the conference.

bigred
October 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM
You are right, looks like our sports department left out the zero in 30 in our Football media guide...go figure.

OL FU
October 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
You are right, looks like our sports department left out the zero in 30 in our Football media guide...go figure.

And besides, I had the advantage, I was at the game. Lexington is beautiful and the VMI is impressive.

atlGAmocs
October 7th, 2005, 03:50 PM
As a recent grad of UTC, it is good to see the Mocs are finally delivering on constant promises of improvement. It is also good to see that we are earning some respect from the rest of the SoCon. If it wasn't for the utter disaster @GSU this would be considered an outstanding start to the season.

No disrespect to Elon fans but i believe that the Mocs will return home to face WCU with a 5 - 2 record. If all goes well that could mean a 7-4 or 8-3 season (with an upset of ASU/Furman....not likely but possible).

SoCon48
October 7th, 2005, 04:04 PM
We agree. I do respect VMI's tradition. As I mentioned they joined the SoCon before Furman. I wish they had remained in the conference.

I certainly wish that, too, especially since there hasn't yet been a dime's difference in VMI and their "replacement."

AppGuy04
October 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I wish for the upset of Furman, not ASU ;)