PDA

View Full Version : SI article on The Citadel

Marcus Garvey
March 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Once upon a time, SI engaged in some excellent journalism. I'm not sure when that stopped. Sometime in the Mid 90's I think when ESPN and the internet began to make them irrelevant.
Anyway, they opened their "vault" and I was able to find an article on The Citadel that I will never forget. If you ever wondered why they've struggled to be consitently good the past 15+ years, this article probably did more to kill recruiting (especially in the 90's) than anything else:

WHAT IS THE CITADEL? (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004233/index.htm)

ButlerGSU
March 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
That article is revolting and inhumane to say the least but some interesting quotes:

Citadel cadets have no more connection to the military than do Harvard undergraduates. Only those students who have signed ROTC contracts will be obliged to be sworn into a branch of the service, and an ROTC contract can be signed on most any campus in the country. Even former Citadel president James Stockdale, a Congressional Medal of Honor winner, likened attending The Citadel to playing soldier. Get up close and you can see it. Those splendid cadet uniforms?and the faculty's, too?are of the sort you might get at a good Army surplus store, vague grays and indefinite stripes and tags. The Citadel uniform is the equivalent of a World War II bomber jacket ordered through a catalog.

These days field goal kicker Davis does not feel nine feet tall and bulletproof. He feels terrified. Six weeks after leaving The Citadel , he was driving his car when he pulled over and went absolutely ballistic. He began screaming at his girlfriend?yelling at her as if she were a knob, saluting and marching back and forth. All he remembers is coming to on the hood of his car.

"I guess I went crazy," he says. "Like somebody in a war. I didn't know who I was or where I was. My girlfriend said I blanked out. I guess I'd gone back into [ The Citadel ]. It's funny, before I went to The Citadel , I never blew up at my girlfriend. Now I blow up at her all the time."

He's seeing a psychiatrist. He had a chance to kick for a small college, but he got only as far as the mailbox. "I didn't go because I'm scared of failing," he says. "I'm scared to make any kind of decision. I doubt myself so much."

Davis's condition is just one of the achievements the sophomore class of 1990-91 can brag on. Smith, the cyclist, quit The Citadel soon after the saber episode. He and his mother got only $1,200 of his $13,000 loan money back. The Citadel explained where the rest went?to uniforms and meals and whatnot?but Smith never understood how he could have spent it all in three weeks.

GreatAppSt
March 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx The Sheitadel.

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I remember when Rick Reilly wrote that article.

His main sources were three players (one most notably a basball player) who quit the school. These guys left their hometowns amid fanfare that they were going to The Citadel, and then when they decided that they didn't like it, they couldn't exactly go home and say, "I couldn't take it", or, "It was too tough for me," now, could they?

1991 was my senior year. I knew some of those cadets, most notably Raymond Mazyck. A year earlier, Raymond had a bout with a cancerous tumor in his leg. He became sort of a hero on campus becuase everyone was pulling for him, and he pulled through. Raymond was quite popular, and at the time I counted him as a friend. I also had several friends in the Churchill Society. I know for a fact that the allegations surrounding the Churchill Society were false. Raymond refers in the article to friends of his telling him that the Churchill Society was a white supremacist group. I was one of Raymond's friends, and to the best of my recollection I never told him this. In fact, two of my closest friends were in it, and they were not only not racist, but precisely the opposite. They were the kinds of guys who would punch you in the mouth if you used a racial slur. When Raymond came up on an HV, he and others played the race card to its fullest. It was not until after the Honor Court verdict that the allegations about the Churchill Society came out as part of a pressure campaign to reinstate Raymond. General Watts overturned the court's decision based on a couple of technicalities, which Watts was prone to do several times during his tenure. Raymond and his confederates during this time played the whole "they are running me out because I'm black" strategy. Raymond was one of the most well known, popular guys on campus. He committed an HV, plain and simple, and the Corps knew it. A few of his friends were willing to overlook this, but most of us believed in and upheld the honor system, and Raymond did what he did.

Ironically, it was over a hazing incident where a knob got a cut on his head that started the whole thing. If The Citadel and the administration were so lax on dealing with hazing, then why would a senior cadet be so willing to risk an honor violation in order to keep it covered up? The reason is because under Bud Watts, you would either be kicked out of school or you would spend the better part of your school year stomping the quad for hazing, and EVERYTHING was hazing, including making freshmen do more than 15 pushups at a time (nevermind BUNK pushups inside a room which is also strictly verboten).

Even non-supporters of The Citadel agreed that the article when it was published was a hack job done by one of hacking's greatest poet laureates, Rick Reilly. He painted the football team as in a shambles, with athletes quitting left and right. A good friend of mine who played guard on the 1990 team that beat USC (a black guy) can tell this whole story better than I can. He was outraged by the inaccuracies and Reilly's depiction of the football team. He was also friends with Raymond and Jack Douglas. Most of the events alleged by the players in this article did not happen the way they were portrayed, and several did not happen at all. Again, these guys had to go home and tell their friends and families SOMETHING, didn't they?

Cadet Alewine had much bigger problems than the hazing he talks about in the article, as well. During the article, Reilly expects us to forget about this black freshman in the shower, since he does not follow up with it. Who was this cadet? If what Alewine said was true, this kid would not have been hard to find, because as a knob he would have been showering no further than about 100 feet from his own room in the barracks. I would think he would have come forward for the article, especially since he was an upperclassman when it was written. But nope, Reilly doesn't get hung up on that little detail. Also, Reilly seems to suggest that Chal Port quit as a result of the Alewine incident. This is complete and total bull****. You can even see how Reilly words the sentence to avoid any accusations of libel. Chal Port retired in 1991 because that was his intention all along. The man was old, for crying out loud. Also, Reilly doesn't mention that Chal took The Citadel to the College World Series in 1990 with that baseball team that waqs so beset with hazing and morale problems.

Freshman athletes along with all other athletes are on what is known as the "Corps Squad." This means that while their sport is in season, they enjoyed a very relaxed version of the military system. Knobs don't brace, they don't get crapped on by upperclassmen, and they all even eat in their own dining area. Plus, if they DID get crapped on, the cadets who did the crapping would have felt the full weight of not only the upperclass athletes, but Charlie Taaffe and his staff as well as General Watts and his staff. Why would they recruit these athletes just to let them get run out in a few weeks?

Ultimately, the people who like to poke good fun at The Citadel won't come out in favor of the slant of this article. Those of you who like to be malicious, on the other hand, will have your fun and so be it. You do not matter to us ultimately.

BTW- Probably the most ironic thing about this article is that in the very same issue of SI, they put out their preseason top 25 in football. SI positively swooned over Arkansas and their new passing attack. They picked Arkansas at #24 or #25 I cannot remember which.

A few weeks after the article, our beleaguered downtrodden football team which was so plagued by morale problems and athletes quitting went out to Fayetteville, Arkansas and beat the Hogs soundly. Arkansas did not score a single touchdown. The Citadel finished the season ranked #1 in the country in I-AA and lost to Youngstown St. in the semifinals. Marshall, the only other team to beat The Citadel, won the NC that year. The Citadel also beat one of the "real" military schools that year, as well.

How could an athletic program is as bad a shape as Mr. Reilly suggested have done this, as well as putting its basball team in the CWS in 1990?

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I remember reading this article years ago and was looking for it recently...thanks for posting

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 08:06 AM
That article is revolting and inhumane to say the least but some interesting quotes:

That first quote was so uncalled for, it boggles the mind. The Citadel, VMI and the USMA all wear the same uniform with very small differences. Why say that about the uniforms?

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
From the Article

"Citadel cadets have no more connection to the military than do Harvard undergraduates. Only those students who have signed ROTC contracts will be obliged to be sworn into a branch of the service, and an ROTC contract can be signed on most any campus in the country. Even former Citadel president James Stockdale, a Congressional Medal of Honor winner, likened attending The Citadel to playing soldier. Get up close and you can see it. Those splendid cadet uniforms?and the faculty's, too?are of the sort you might get at a good Army surplus store, vague grays and indefinite stripes and tags. The Citadel uniform is the equivalent of a World War II bomber jacket ordered through a catalog."

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Even your former President admits this to be true

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Admiral Stockdale was there for one year. He was dismissed because he tried to dismantle the military system there, and his disdain for The Citadel also applied to VMI and the USMA. The place is a military school. You don't come in and try to turn it into CCU.

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Admiral Stockdale was there for one year. He was dismissed because he tried to dismantle the military system there, and his disdain for The Citadel also applied to VMI and the USMA. The place is a military school. You don't come in and try to turn it into CCU.

I certainly agree you shouldnt do that

ButlerGSU
March 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
That first quote was so uncalled for, it boggles the mind. The Citadel, VMI and the USMA all wear the same uniform with very small differences. Why say that about the uniforms?

I called the article inhumane because of all the spitting into others mouths, who does that?

As for the former Citadel President, I don't know why he said that but I found it interesting that he did.

OL FU
March 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
As a Furman grad, as long as they don't break the law what happens at the Citadel is the Citadel's business.xnodx

If recruits can't take it they should leave, if they can then enjoy the comradeship with your fellow Citadel grads because it certainly seems to create a life long bondxthumbsupx

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I called the article inhumane because of all the spitting into others mouths, who does that?

As for the former Citadel President, I don't know why he said that but I found it interesting that he did.

I never saw or heard of spitting in people's mouths while I was there, and I was in a position to know what was going on in terms of hazing. Plus, the dirty details about hazing incidents spread like wildfire in the Corps. If it had been reported or had actually happened, I would have known about it.

The military systems at most military schools are very similar. They don't do things all that differently. Stress and strain are universal features of your plebe year wherever you go. Stockdale decided he didn't care much for The Citadel as soon as he got there. Some people suggested that his experiences as a POW played a role in his conduct for that year at The Citadel. I have no idea because I wasn't there at that time, thank goodness. Considering what he tried to do away with, I would say that he would have had the same problems if he had been at VMI. Maybe The Citadel wasn't "federalized" enough for him.

The cadets in the article were and are quitters. That's the bottom line. Rick Reilly took the word of quitters in order to smear a great institution. I'm glad they quit, because I wouldn't want them to wind up blubbering and crying in a combat zone while wearing their rings. I'm sure they did just fine at Clempson or Vassar or Meredith College or wherever they decided to go.

Oh, and by the way, where are all the civil suits against The Citadel as a result of all of this egregious conduct? I mean, if Rick Reilly's article were the Gospel truth, there would be PLENTY of standing to sue.

Give me a break. I have a bridge to sell some of you people.

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Oh, and Franks- ding me all you want. It's none of your farking business what goes on at The Citadel. I'll wager you have never been there, and I know damned well you have never seen what goes on inside, so take your indignation and stick it up your ass, for all I care.

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
As a Furman grad, as long as they don't break the law what happens at the Citadel is the Citadel's business.xnodx

If recruits can't take it they should leave, if they can then enjoy the comradeship with your fellow Citadel grads because it certainly seems to create a life long bondxthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

(Even though you left the "The" off. I thought Citdog fixed you!)xsmiley_wix

OL FU
March 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
xoutofrepx

:p Two out of three "The's" wasn't badxlolx

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Oh, and Franks- ding me all you want. It's none of your farking business what goes on at The Citadel. I'll wager you have never been there, and I know damned well you have never seen what goes on inside, so take your indignation and stick it up your ass, for all I care.

You are just a bunch of little boys hazing each other and playing grab-ass. I really dont care what goes on at the French Fortress and have little use for what does. Your a tough guy cause you yell at some skinny little 18 year old freshman who misses his mommy--sorry big guy.

CID1990
March 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM
You are just a bunch of little boys hazing each other and playing grab-ass. I really dont care what goes on at the French Fortress and have little use for what does. Your a tough guy cause you yell at some skinny little 18 year old freshman who misses his mommy--sorry big guy.

None of us are losing any sleep over it. We don't expect you or anyone like you to actually recognize a hack job when you see one.

Here's a hint: You're not a tough guy because of what you do to others. It's more about what you endure. Why would my closest friends, guys I would die for, be the same ones who went hoarse yelling at me as a knob? Because it isn't personal. The people who stay and benefit from it are the ones who recognize that.

Jaques
March 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM

What does that have to do with anything?

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
What does that have to do with anything?

That was the saying on campus whenever changes were proposed to the system to make it gentler. "When they finally neuter The Citadel, we'll have to change the name to Coastal Carolina, or something like that!"

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM
None of us are losing any sleep over it. We don't expect you or anyone like you to actually recognize a hack job when you see one.

Here's a hint: You're not a tough guy because of what you do to others. It's more about what you endure. Why would my closest friends, guys I would die for, be the same ones who went hoarse yelling at me as a knob? Because it isn't personal. The people who stay and benefit from it are the ones who recognize that.

I will say it again. You may be a veteran of the US military and if so I applaud and salute your sacrifice and commitment. However what happens at the Citadel is little more than boys run amock IMO. Yes there is harrasment in training in the Army or other services but you have professional men who have dedicated their career to training leading the show. They mostly know what they are doing. They are specificially preperaing there changres for combat, and the specific type of combat they may see based on whatever path they have chosen in the Military. At the Citadel you have a 21 yo who still lives with his mommy breaking your balls for no reason-- to me its rather useless.

Biff
March 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
xoutofrepx

Got him for you.

OL FU
March 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I will say it again. You may be a veteran of the US military and if so I applaud and salute your sacrifice and commitment. However what happens at the Citadel is little more than boys run amock IMO. Yes there is harrasment in training in the Army or other services but you have professional men who have dedicated their career to training leading the show. They mostly know what they are doing. They are specificially preperaing there changres for combat, and the specific type of combat they may see based on whatever path they have chosen in the Military. At the Citadel you have a 21 yo who still lives with his mommy breaking your balls for no reason-- to me its rather useless.

Not to insert myself into the middle of children's arguments, but a poster known as citdog would like to know and I quote

"If any of this discussion explains the reason why you were run out of the Air Force Academy"

Right or wrong, I have done my duty in obliging a friendxrotatehx

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Not to insert myself into the middle of children's arguments, but a poster known as citdog would like to know and I quote

"If any of this discussion explains the reason why you were run out of the Air Force Academy"

Right or wrong, I have done my duty in obliging a friendxrotatehx

Never at the AFA my friend, I attended the USMA Prep school for one year and wasnt run out. I had decided to not attend West Point during my time at the prep school and went to school elsewhere. I would never hide that fact, but I spent my time at USMAPS and decided to go in a different direction. The military enviroment offered unique challenges but it wasnt overly difficult.

Biff
March 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Say its useless all you want, but a military education is better than most others for a number of reasons. It isn't the best for all. Most people that disagree with this form of education are those that can't conform to standards or are wimps. The ones that encourage a miilitary education (outside of the military) are company's that want a disciplined worker and a worker that lives with Honor. Yes, I threw the Honor word out there. I know that term gets thrown around too often, but we preach it to our cadets. They in turn work hard to live it. The same goes for cadets at all the Military Colleges, Military Acedemies, and for those in the Military (NCOs and COs). Of courses, there will always be exceptions. However, these qualities, honor and discipline, are hard to find in graduates of "Average Joe University". Some people learn them from there parents, but some never even here about it. I can tell you from the new graduates in our office, the ones that have a Military education or Military background are doing far better (on average) than the ones without it.

Lets face it though, every military college, including the acedemies "play military". Every training events for Military personnel are geared around "playing military". We don't exercise the practice of learning to be a military cadet or soldier until you are in the field doing it yourself. The Citadel covers the basics for its civilian graduates, the ROTC units and there first training assignments take the contract cadets and prepare them for the rest.

In the my case, I am not a veteran. I wanted the discipline, the commaradarie, and education The Citadel offered. Oddly enough, while I am still a civilian, I serve my country as a Navy civil servant. It may not be carrying a rifle or manning a gun, but it is still service. My Military education has been a big help in pushing me above my peers in the job.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Say its useless all you want, but a military education is better than most others for a number of reasons. It isn't the best for all. Most people that disagree with this form of education are those that can't conform to standards or are wimps. The ones that encourage a miilitary education (outside of the military) are company's that want a disciplined worker and a worker that lives with Honor. Yes, I threw the Honor word out there. I know that term gets thrown around too often, but we preach it to our cadets. They in turn work hard to live it. The same goes for cadets at all the Military Colleges, Military Acedemies, and for those in the Military (NCOs and COs). Of courses, there will always be exceptions. However, these qualities, honor and discipline, are hard to find in graduates of "Average Joe University". Some people learn them from there parents, but some never even here about it. I can tell you from the new graduates in our office, the ones that have a Military education or Military background are doing far better (on average) than the ones without it.

Lets face it though, every military college, including the acedemies "play military". Every training events for Military personnel are geared around "playing military". We don't exercise the practice of learning to be a military cadet or soldier until you are in the field doing it yourself. The Citadel covers the basics for its civilian graduates, the ROTC units and there first training assignments take the contract cadets and prepare them for the rest.

In the my case, I am not a veteran. I wanted the discipline, the commaradarie, and education The Citadel offered. Oddly enough, while I am still a civilian, I serve my country as a Navy civil servant. It may not be carrying a rifle or manning a gun, but it is still service. My Military education has been a big help in pushing me above my peers in the job.

If you think I am a wimp I can meet you in Myrtle Beach next time I go golfing. :p The pain I endured and the way I had to push myself on the FB field far exceeded anything I encountered at Military school. Quite frankly the physical and mental challenges are nothing comared to squaring off for 60 minutes againt a big, fat, pissed off D-lineman. Also I have more than enough self discipline, integrity, and honor to go around, and I get to this point intrinscly, its the only way. What happens to all those criminals that get send to boot camp? They toe the line and perform great for a time in the boot camp setting and turn back into POS's again after they get out. They didnt learn anything from that military program.

If you had a great experience at The Citadel than good for you. I however dont feel progams can build honor and discipline. It is something you have or you dont have. You are also in fantasy land if you think that you need a military background to have such traits. Personally some of the biggest whack jobs and POS's I have met were in Prep School.

Millwoch
March 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM

You just showed your total ignorance for the entire system. In the system, you are broken down as a knob with a strict schedule and loss of common privledges in a high stress environment. This is all in an attempt to break you down and make everyone in your class the same. It is not about belittling someone even though sometimes your feelings get bruised up a little(for others a lot). Then you are gradually raised up adding privledges and leadership responsibility till graduation day.

I do not think that this article hurts recruiting, in fact we won the Socon in 1992. I think the loss of Charlie Taafe and the con't turnover of coaches there after hurt recruiting. The quiters in this article will not be the last that walk back out of Lesesne Gate. I agree with you that this type of education is not for everyone. I also agree that you do not have to do the "military thing" to have values and honor. Just remember that someone with true honor does not have to tell someone they have it. we can see it.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
You just showed your total ignorance for the entire system. In the system, you are broken down as a knob with a strict schedule and loss of common privledges in a high stress environment. This is all in an attempt to break you down and make everyone in you class the same. It is not about belittling someone even though sometimes your feelings get bruised up a little(for others a lot). Then you are gradually raised up adding privledges and leadership responsibility till graduation day.

I do not think that this article hurts recruiting, in fact we won the Socon in 1992. I think the loss of Charlie Taafe and the con't turnover of coaches there after hurt recruiting. The quiters in this article will not be the last that walk back out of Lesesne Gate. I agree with you that this type of education is not for everyone. I also agree that you do not have to do the "military thing" to have values and honor. Just remember that someone with true honor does not have to tell someone they have it. we can see it.

I attended a Military school for a time, I understand what it is all about. This is why I am able to comment.

bandl
March 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
http://emoticons4u.com/violent/sterb184.gif http://emoticons4u.com/violent/sterb020.gif
http://emoticons4u.com/violent/sterb003.gif http://emoticons4u.com/violent/sterb126.gif

Biff
March 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
You just showed your total ignorance for the entire system. In the system, you are broken down as a knob with a strict schedule and loss of common privledges in a high stress environment. This is all in an attempt to break you down and make everyone in your class the same. It is not about belittling someone even though sometimes your feelings get bruised up a little(for others a lot). Then you are gradually raised up adding privledges and leadership responsibility till graduation day.

I attended a Military school for a time, I understand what it is all about. This is why I am able to comment.

Millwoch, After reading Franks comments, I hear knobs yelling in my head, "Couldn't hack it, had to pack it!"

Biff
March 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
If you think I am a wimp I can meet you in Myrtle Beach next time I go golfing. :p The pain I endured and the way I had to push myself on the FB field far exceeded anything I encountered at Military school. Quite frankly the physical and mental challenges are nothing comared to squaring off for 60 minutes againt a big, fat, pissed off D-lineman. Also I have more than enough self discipline, integrity, and honor to go around, and I get to this point intrinscly, its the only way. What happens to all those criminals that get send to boot camp? They toe the line and perform great for a time in the boot camp setting and turn back into POS's again after they get out. They didnt learn anything from that military program.

If you had a great experience at The Citadel than good for you. I however dont feel progams can build honor and discipline. It is something you have or you dont have. You are also in fantasy land if you think that you need a military background to have such traits. Personally some of the biggest whack jobs and POS's I have met were in Prep School.

I never said everyone turned out perfect, actually far from it, I just said they at least picked something up.

I also never claimed the Military schools are the only way to get those traits, but they encourage those traits. They are learned traits, some pick them up early in life because of there parents rearing, some pick them up later or fine tune them in a Military atmosphere.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I never said everyone turned out perfect, actually far from it, I just said they at least picked something up.

I also never claimed the Military schools are the only way to get those traits, but they encourage those traits. They are learned traits, some pick them up early in life because of there parents rearing, some pick them up later or fine tune them in a Military atmosphere.

I will certainly agree with that. However, many folks do not need the Military atmosphere to "develop" or have those traits revelaed. Really overall what I have the biggest problem with is when people assert that they are tougher or more manly because of military school- I find it absurd. I hate the "oh you couldnt take it" I think many people could in fact take the punishment but don't see a proper reason. When training for actual combat it is more readily justified.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Millwoch, After reading Franks comments, I hear knobs yelling in my head, "Couldn't hack it, had to pack it!"

I didnt pack it. I'll hand you a FB helmet and some shoulder pads and see if you can make it 5 minutes with me bro.

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Never at the AFA my friend, I attended the USMA Prep school for one year and wasnt run out. I had decided to not attend West Point during my time at the prep school and went to school elsewhere. I would never hide that fact, but I spent my time at USMAPS and decided to go in a different direction. The military enviroment offered unique challenges but it wasnt overly difficult.

Now THAT explains why you feel it necessary to disparage the plebe systems at military schools. Didn't like it, did you? I figured that your indignation at a school that you have nothing to do with and don't pay taxes for probably brought back some kind of insecurity in you. Otherwise, why would you give a ****e?

I guess we'll just have to take your word when you say you "decided" to go elsewhere. I'm thinking that you missed your Mommy (your words) and all that yelling made you a little misty eyed. It's OK, Franks. You're not alone- there are loads and loads of quitters in this world.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Now THAT explains why you feel it necessary to disparage the plebe systems at military schools. Didn't like it, did you? I figured that your indignation at a school that you have nothing to do with and don't pay taxes for probably brought back some kind of insecurity in you. Otherwise, why would you give a ****e?

I guess we'll just have to take your word when you say you "decided" to go elsewhere. I'm thinking that you missed your Mommy (your words) and all that yelling made you a little misty eyed. It's OK, Franks. You're not alone- there are loads and loads of quitters in this world.

xlolx well thats is a nice piece of fiction. Truth is I decided a carrer in the US army isnt what I really wanted. Being that USMA actually requires there grads to be in the ARMY I didnt feel it would be prudent to attend a school that leads to a career I wasnt that crazy about.

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I didnt pack it. I'll hand you a FB helmet and some shoulder pads and see if you can make it 5 minutes with be bro.

Actually, I am smaller than Biff and I'm 6'4" and weigh 280 pounds. You aren't the only meathead who played football, Mr. Quitter. I love a guy who makes challenges from a computer desk yet wants to call somebody else "tough guy." Besides, I wouldn't want to get all gussied up just to have you "decide" you bit off more than you could chew and quit.

BTW.... football was much easier than knob year.

Biff
March 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I will certainly agree with that. However, many folks do not need the Military atmosphere to "develop" or have those traits revelaed. Really overall what I have the biggest problem with is when people assert that they are tougher or more manly because of military school- I find it absurd. I hate the "oh you couldnt take it" I think many people could in fact take the punishment but don't see a proper reason. When training for actual combat it is more readily justified.

I think that people who go through it are tougher than what that would have been otherwise. That doesn't make them better than everyone else, however I would say the average graduate from a Military college has doors that open for him/her a lot easier.

You can say you can handle it, but you have no proof of that unless you have the credentials. The rest is a point of pride. There are easier paths than schools like The Citadel to get a degree.

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
xlolx well thats is a nice piece of fiction. Truth is I decided a carrer in the US army isnt what I really wanted. Being that USMA actually requires there grads to be in the ARMY I didnt feel it would be prudent to attend a school that leads to a career I wasnt that crazy about.

Wonder what made you decide to waste a whole year of your life pursuing something you didn't want to do? Didn't know that little fact before you signed on? I'm guessing the urine running between your thighs your first week there played a role in your "decision."

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Actually, I am smaller than Biff and I'm 6'4" and weigh 280 pounds. You aren't the only meathead who played football, Mr. Quitter. I love a guy who makes challenges from a computer desk yet wants to call somebody else "tough guy." Besides, I wouldn't want to get all gussied up just to have you "decide" you bit off more than you could chew and quit.

BTW.... football was much easier than knob year.

Thats nice. It was you and Biff who assert that Citadel boys are the cats meow.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Wonder what made you decide to waste a whole year of your life pursuing something you didn't want to do? Didn't know that little fact before you signed on? I'm guessing the urine running between your thighs your first week there played a role in your "decision."

I made my decision more on football than anything else at the time. An 18 year old is capable of making a wrong decision and then doing what is correct

Biff
March 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I didnt pack it. I'll hand you a FB helmet and some shoulder pads and see if you can make it 5 minutes with me bro.

ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!!! I am 30lbs. out of school, but I'm sure I can handle it. I never played football, but I have herniated disks from some childhood goofing off. Those disks caused me to stay away from contact sports, despite my love for Football.

I didn't want to be this guy http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/southern/2006-09-18-marc-buoniconti_x.htm

So Soccer it was.

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Odd, all the bickering. Citadel grads will always have an inflated sense of worth with respect to their alma mater. That doesn't make them any different than most Ivy League grads or the graduates of other public institutions... cough cough: Texas A&M.
The reason I posted this article was: It's publishing, coupled with how the school handled Shannon Faulkner was a big reason why the football program went from being "mediocre to good" to a "bad, sometimes mediocre" one.

Now, you can argue whether or not women belong at the Citadel all day long. But there's no denying the fact that the school handled the situation very very badly.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!!! I am 30lbs. out of school, but I'm sure I can handle it. I never played football, but I have herniated disks from some childhood goofing off. Those disks caused me to stay away from contact sports, despite my love for Football.

I didn't want to be this guy http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/southern/2006-09-18-marc-buoniconti_x.htm

So Soccer it was.

Ok--Hey both of you guys sounded like you liked you expereince at the Citadel, that is great. I found my experience a collossal waste of time and energy--instead of studying I was making my bed and ironing, I felt like freaking Betty Crocker, and though I was in a housewife training program. I shouldnt have questioned toughnesss as then I am just stooping to the level the caused my agrument in the 1st place, and this pissing match is fruitless.

You gentleman may have been through more hardship that the average college student, but I still dont think that automatically makes you more disciplined, honorable, or have more integrity than myself or anyone else.

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I made my decision more on football than anything else at the time. An 18 year old is capable of making a wrong decision and then doing what is correct

That sure is a fancy way of saying you QUIT.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
That sure is a fancy way of saying you QUIT.

Think what you want

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Think what you want

Don't worry Franks. We don't care what you think of The Citadel's system, as I am sure you don't care that we know you quit Army Prep.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Don't worry Franks. We don't care what you think of The Citadel's system, as I am sure you don't care that we know you quit Army Prep.

Why would I care I brought it up

Go...gate
March 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM

FT, you are talking about military prep school only, or all prep schools?

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM

No, just USMA Prep School specifically. I'm sure the same can be said for the elite boarding school out there, but I dont have any insider knowledge on that.

PantherRob82
March 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
You guys are all nuts. :D

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM
You guys are all nuts. :D

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Gate, all of the service academies have their own prep schools for guys who for whatever reason can't get directly into the service academies. 9/10ths of the time it is for academics, usually jocks. Plus, they can weed out the guys who are serious about getting into the service academies from the quitters.

I don't know where Army Prep is, but Navy Prep is in Newport, RI.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Gate, all of the service academies have their own prep schools for guys who for whatever reason can't get directly into the service academies. 9/10ths of the time it is for academics, usually jocks. Plus, they can weed out the guys who are serious about getting into the service academies from the quitters there.

Fort Monmouth Nj--although it will be moving as that fort is closing down. The prep school has a variety of kids attending. Jocks, kids with great academics who couldnt pass the physical fitness test, and enlisted Army personnel who gain admission. if you must know my Math Sat scores were a little low by West Point standard, but the Army coaches prefer the players to attend the Prep School anyhow and send them there if possible.

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Military Education: Nothing wrong with it, but it's not for everybody. And just because one goes through one, doesn't mean that individual came through a better person. There are plenty of douche-bags among military academy graduates.
But, I understand the utter disdain that some military academy gradutes may have for those who chose not to go that route. It's tough. You have to ask yourself, "Was it worth it?" One way to convince yourself of that is to view those who chose not to experience it as weak. That's just human nature.

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Odd, all the bickering. Citadel grads will always have an inflated sense of worth with respect to their alma mater. That doesn't make them any different than most Ivy League grads or the graduates of other public institutions... cough cough: Texas A&M.
The reason I posted this article was: It's publishing, coupled with how the school handled Shannon Faulkner was a big reason why the football program went from being "mediocre to good" to a "bad, sometimes mediocre" one.

Now, you can argue whether or not women belong at the Citadel all day long. But there's no denying the fact that the school handled the situation very very badly.

Good, you can discuss it with all the other girls at your next MENSA meeting, then.

I don't recall you mentioning this golden parallel in your original post. All I recall is thinking, "Hey, here's another anti-military school guy trying to be an ass by dredging up something from 15 years ago."

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Good, you can discuss it with all the other girls at your next MENSA meeting, then.

I don't recall you mentioning this golden parallel in your original post. All I recall is thinking, "Hey, here's another anti-military school guy trying to be an ass by dredging up something from 15 years ago."
xlmaox

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Military Education: Nothing wrong with it, but it's not for everybody. And just because one goes through one, doesn't mean that individual came through a better person. There are plenty of douche-bags among military academy graduates.
But, I understand the utter disdain that some military academy gradutes may have for those who chose not to go that route. It's tough. You have to ask yourself, "Was it worth it?" One way to convince yourself of that is to view those who chose not to experience it as weak. That's just human nature.

Marcus, that's a fine point, but you missed something. We don't hold in disdain people who choose not to go. That is a personal choice and it takes a big person to make those kinds of choices in a mature fashion. I don't even hold people who quit the military schools in disdain. What does piss off most military academy grads is when someone who actually matriculated and then quit comes on a board like this and disparages the system. It's called axe grinding, and it is just as dishonest as Rick Reilly's article.

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Marcus, that's a fine point, but you missed something. We don't hold in disdain people who choose not to go. That is a personal choice and it takes a big person to make those kinds of choices in a mature fashion. I don't even hold people who quit the military schools in disdain. What does piss off most military academy grads is when someone who actually matriculated and then quit comes on a board like this and disparages the system. It's called axe grinding, and it is just as dishonest as Rick Reilly's article.

There are plenty who do hold others in disdain, even if you're not one of them. Many of the posts on this thread demonstrate that.

CID1990
March 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
There are plenty who do hold others in disdain, even if you're not one of them. Many of the posts on this thread demonstrate that.

I think the posts on this board demonstrate disdain for a guy who quit Army Prep, didn't want to come out and say it, and then proceeded to disparage the fourth-class system at The Citadel.

I don't have any friends from The Citadel who loook down on people who didn't go there. The only people we look down on for not going to The Citadel are graduates of those other military schools! xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I really have no sore feelings about my experience, and I am actually glad I had it at this point in my life. The system is what it is, my whole point really is that it makes you no more manly or honorable. Also I can understand you are angry if you feel the article was incorrect

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I think the posts on this board demonstrate disdain for a guy who quit Army Prep, didn't want to come out and say it, and then proceeded to disparage the fourth-class system at The Citadel.

I don't have any friends from The Citadel who loook down on people who didn't go there. The only people we look down on for not going to The Citadel are graduates of those other military schools! xsmiley_wix

I have made it known many times on this board that I have attended Army Prep. Perhaps I had assumed it was understood, The Citdog and I have been through this before.

OL FU
March 27th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have made it known many times on this board that I have attended Army Prep. Perhaps I had assumed it was understood, The Citdog and I have been through this before.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx Let's don't get carried away herexlolx

only cuz I know he is reading thisxsmiley_wix

soweagle
March 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
where is Citdog? This is the type of topic he would normally be all over.

Rob Iola
where is Citdog? This is the type of topic he would normally be all over.
He got an AGS timeout for being naughty...

Franks Tanks
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx Let's don't get carried away herexlolx

only cuz I know he is reading thisxsmiley_wix

I guess its becoming involuntary. I assume the Dog is banned once again.

bandl
March 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM

...goes hand in hand with 'discipline'.

elcid96
March 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Seriously? Is there not an article or story about any other school in America where someone was hazed. My own brother was beaten several times while trying to join a fraternity at USC. Lets get real folks. Young men, no matter where they go to school, make mistakes. It doesn't make it right, but don't think for one second that it only happens at the Citadel and every other school in America is modelled around the Wizard of Oz.

As for the Military thing, it is not for everyone, or there would be more military schools. However, it works for some and I am proud to have graduated from The Citadel and grateful for the leadership values I learned there. The best part about this country is that we all had a choice on where we wanted to go to college.

If you get a chance, read this article on epinions about attending GSU. It was written from a grad. The bottom line: they don't recommend attending the school.

http://www.epinions.com/content_14050168452

and Here is another negative review from another former student.

http://www.epinions.com/content_178037100164

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has xrulesx one.

Millwoch
March 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Franks, I agree with you about the military prep school. My knob year roommate spent a year @ the Army Prep school, and his reaction was quite the same. One it was very easy for him there academically. The Citadel is a tougher than a prep school academically for one. Two he said the military aspect of prep was a joke compared to being a knob for 2 semesters. I can not speak for all schools thou, just what he told me.

OL FU
March 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Banned is his middle name.xnodx

There is no truth to the rumor that "escorted from the premises" is his first namexsmhx :D

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Franks, I agree with you about the military prep school. My knob year roommate spent a year @ the Army Prep school, and his reaction was quite the same. One it was very easy for him there academically. The Citadel is a tougher than a prep school academically for one. Two he said the military aspect of prep was a joke compared to being a knob for 2 semesters. I can not speak for all schools thou, just what he told me.

Academically it is really designed to re-introduce enlisted personnel into the classroom, and maybe get some SAT scores up a bit. Military wise there is no power of cadets over others as everyone is only there for one year, which changes the dynamics quite a bit.

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
He got an AGS timeout for being naughty...

Really???? $#@%!!!!!!!!!

elcid96
March 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Marcus

Where did you go to school?

Go...gate
March 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Gate, all of the service academies have their own prep schools for guys who for whatever reason can't get directly into the service academies. 9/10ths of the time it is for academics, usually jocks. Plus, they can weed out the guys who are serious about getting into the service academies from the quitters.

Reason I ask is that The Hun School, where I attended and do some volunteer development work, has a post-grad program which sends a few kids each year to USMA, USNA, USAFA, USCGA, The Citadel and VMI. Not a big-time thing, but we do it. I like to think we have a pretty good school at Hun, and the kids seem to be well prepared, at least, for the academics at those schools. I also know that USMA Prep, at what used to be Fort Monmouth near the Jersey Shore, was a pretty rugged place and they were heavily victimized by budget cuts in recent years. That said, military school life certainly is not for everybody. I remember giving some consideration to Annapolis or West Point and looking at VMI and The Citadel back in the day - I liked the idea of the discipline (though the issue of possible abuse of the system was a concern) and the post-grad opportunities were substantial - but I ultimately concluded that my math/engineering skills were not sufficient to succeed there.

seantaylor
March 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Those reviews of GSU are obviously pretty old. GSU has expanded like crazy since then.

Eyes of Old Main
March 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Not exactly the most flattering view of life at El Cid. It's such a shame those guys let a loss to Wofford get under their skin that much. Imagine what it's like now since they've lost 9 straight to the Terriers.

PantherRob82
March 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
No epinion reviews of THE Citadel.

CID1990
March 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Not exactly the most flattering view of life at El Cid. It's such a shame those guys let a loss to Wofford get under their skin that much. Imagine what it's like now since they've lost 9 straight to the Terriers.

The loss to Wofford was the first one any of us could remember at the time. You guys were one of our annual doormats along with Presbyterian and Newberry. I think that particular year was the beginning of the run by that QB you had who was missing a pectoral muscle. He was phenomenal at running the wishbone. I would have been hard pressed to pick between him and Jack Douglas as the best wishbone QB. Both of them were better than JC Watts, though, if that adds any perspective.

CID1990
March 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
No epinion reviews of THE Citadel.

That's because we don't really care what people know about the school. Maybe that's what allows hack journalists from asswipe rags to work their slanderous magic.

If someone wants to find out, they can come attend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Seriously? Is there not an article or story about any other school in America where someone was hazed. My own brother was beaten several times while trying to join a fraternity at USC. Lets get real folks. Young men, no matter where they go to school, make mistakes. It doesn't make it right, but don't think for one second that it only happens at the Citadel and every other school in America is modelled around the Wizard of Oz.

As for the Military thing, it is not for everyone, or there would be more military schools. However, it works for some and I am proud to have graduated from The Citadel and grateful for the leadership values I learned there. The best part about this country is that we all had a choice on where we wanted to go to college.

If you get a chance, read this article on epinions about attending GSU. It was written from a grad. The bottom line: they don't recommend attending the school.

http://www.epinions.com/content_14050168452

and Here is another negative review from another former student.

http://www.epinions.com/content_178037100164

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has xrulesx one.

The author in the second link is a person that majored in psychology and started out in sociology. People who major in either or those probably should not be allowed to badmouth the academic rigor of their school. It's also funny to hear people call it a "party school". LoL. Compared to who? Maybe military academies, Georgia Tech, small private liberal arts colleges, and Ivy League schools. Speaking as someone who has plenty of credits at both Georgia and GSU, I can tell you that UGA is a college-party mecca and that GSU has nothing on them. That's why UGA is on Princeton Review's list of "top party schools", and GSU is not. But I understand your point, 96. I'm sure we could dig up some less-than-100-percent satisfied Furman and App. alums as well.

And yes, the SI article reeks of sensationalism. I wonder how much he got paid by wealthy Arkansas alums.

CID1990
March 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
The author in the second link is a person that majored in psychology and started out in sociology. People who major in either or those probably should not be allowed to badmouth the academic rigor of their school. It's also funny to hear people call it a "party school". LoL. Compared to who? Maybe military academies, Georgia Tech, small private liberal arts colleges, and Ivy League schools. Speaking as someone who has plenty of credits at both Georgia and GSU, I can tell you that UGA is a college-party mecca and that GSU has nothing on them. That's why UGA is on Princeton Review's list of "top party schools", and GSU is not. But I understand your point, 96. I'm sure we could dig up some less-than-100-percent satisfied Furman and App. alums as well.

And yes, the SI article reeks of sensationalism. I wonder how much he got paid by wealthy Arkansas alums.

I don't think we were on Arkansas' radar at the time. We beat them after the article came out. I also don't think many of them read the article, either, because none of the Arkansas fans we tailgated with knew anything about The Citadel. They knew AFTER the game, though.

08Dawg
March 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Typical jack-off flaming something he knews absolutely nothing about. Yes, I'm going to through my .02 in. If I were a pissed off, disillusioned 18 year old who wimped out and packed up, I'm sure I could twist some of the ****e that was done to me and come up with something similar that makes The Citadel sound like a monstrous, evil place, too. So some sophomore yells at you and drops you for twenty? Ok, football player, why are you complaining? You take on 350 lb lineman but you get upset by doing fifteen measley pushups? I'm 5'9 and 147 and I can knock out dozens upon dozens, so why the hell are you complaining?

Unless you've been there and done that, you can and will never understand, and disparaging it only makes you sound ignorant and bitter.

citdog
March 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Typical jack-off flaming something he knews absolutely nothing about. Yes, I'm going to through my .02 in. If I were a pissed off, disillusioned 18 year old who wimped out and packed up, I'm sure I could twist some of the ****e that was done to me and come up with something similar that makes The Citadel sound like a monstrous, evil place, too. So some sophomore yells at you and drops you for twenty? Ok, football player, why are you complaining? You take on 350 lb lineman but you get upset by doing fifteen measley pushups? I'm 5'9 and 147 and I can knock out dozens upon dozens, so why the hell are you complaining?

Unless you've been there and done that, you can and will never understand, and disparaging it only makes you sound ignorant and bitter.

well said.

why is this not on the smack page so i can flame franky and garvey without getting the 10 day vacay? move this thread there please...

i promise it will be EPIC!

Franks Tanks
March 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM

I could literally break you in half , just cause you can do push ups doesnt make you bad ass.

uni88
March 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM
well said.

why is this not on the smack page so i can flame franky and garvey without getting the 10 day vacay? move this thread there please...

Dog, the promise to make it EPIC pretty much dooms this thread to remain where it is.

Mods, this thread has degenerated into smack and it really belongs there. Plus it will give us a chance to watch The citdog's last stand prior to his "retirement". Will it be the Dog's finest moment or his Little Big Horn? I think we need a poll (or maybe a pool).

Franks Tanks
March 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Dog, the promise to make it EPIC pretty much dooms this thread to remain where it is.

Mods, this thread has degenerated into smack and it really belongs there. Plus it will give us a chance to watch The citdog's last stand prior to his "retirement". Will it be the Dog's finest moment or his Little Big Horn? I think we need a poll (or maybe a pool).

Yankee superiority will reign supreme now and forever. Citdog you say your retiring, so why go soft now? Probably no worthwhile retort.

CID1990
March 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
well said.

Because when it is about either The Citadel or rich white men it is not smack, apparently.

citdog
March 31st, 2008, 08:00 AM
I could literally break you in half , just cause you can do push ups doesnt make you bad ass.

frank you should change your signature to...

"if i jump they'll let me be a Cadet, they'll let me wear the ring! Don't do it Poteat!"

you went home crying to your mama from the

PREP SCHOOL! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx YOU ARE A JOKE AND NOT EVEN WORTHY OF MY CONTEMPT.

citdog
March 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Yankee superiority will reign supreme now and forever. Citdog you say your retiring, so why go soft now? Probably no worthwhile retort.

MY NAME SHOULDN'T EVER COME OUT OF YOUR RUNNING HOME TO HIDE BEHIND MOMMY'S SKIRT QUITTER MOUTH. YOU ARE A POLTROON.

Franks Tanks
March 31st, 2008, 08:13 AM
MY NAME SHOULDN'T EVER COME OUT OF YOUR RUNNING HOME TO HIDE BEHIND MOMMY'S SKIRT QUITTER MOUTH. YOU ARE A POLTROON.

I do not have time for you today, and If you have such hatred for me go away. Take your childish antics and responses elsewhere, as conversing with you is akin to doing so with a 8 year old with down syndrome. I am no longer going to give you the satisfaction of responding to your completely arbitrary posts. Good Day.

citdog
March 31st, 2008, 08:18 AM
I do not have time for you today, and If you have such hatred for me go away. Take your childish antics and responses elsewhere, as conversing with you is akin to doing so with a 8 year old with down syndrome. I am no longer going to give you the satisfaction of responding to your completely arbitrary posts. Good Day.

YOU SHOULD NOW APLOGIZE TO ALL 8 YEAR OLDS WITH DOWN SYNDROME.xlolx xnodx

IS IT JUST A LITTLE HARD TO CONVERSE WITH ME IS THAT WHY YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO QUIT THAT TOO? IT'S A PATTERN IN YOUR LIFE AND GETS EASIER EVERY TIME DOESN'T IT FRANKY?

Franks Tanks
March 31st, 2008, 08:23 AM

IS IT JUST A LITTLE HARD TO CONVERSE WITH ME IS THAT WHY YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO QUIT THAT TOO? IT'S A PATTERN IN YOUR LIFE AND GETS EASIER EVERY TIME DOESN'T IT FRANKY?

I did not quit, I went elsewhere when my commitment at the Prep School was finished. You were in the military at one time I believe, and are no longer. Using your logic you quit the Military. If you want to have a rational discussion, fine with me, if not I really have some work to do xcoffeex

BULLDOG8180
March 31st, 2008, 09:30 AM
This 15 + year old article is getting way too much attention. As a Citadel grad from 25+ years ago, I know what, how, and why things happened. I was captain of the football team, so I can look at it from an athletes prospective. I saw many athletes quit, not because of hazing, but because the just couldn't take the life style that a cadet/athlete must face or they couldn't balance athletics, academics and military aspects of The Citadel. The Citadel is more of a test of your mental make-up than it is of your physical endurance. The Citadel is not for everyone, never has been, never will be. What is mentally tough for some, is a piece of cake for others.

This thread needs to die......The Citadel is what it is, a challenging place, not for the weak of heart or weak of mind.

Appaholic
March 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM

Speaking of quitting, are you seriously quitting AGS?? If so, couldn't a person assume that AGS is tougher than citadel? Good thing AGSAdmin wasn't your CO your knob year....xwhistlex

don't fokking quit the site

citdog
March 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Speaking of quitting, are you seriously quitting AGS?? If so, couldn't a person assume that AGS is tougher than citadel? Good thing AGSAdmin wasn't your CO your knob year....xwhistlex

don't fokking quit the site

i'm not going anywhere.

8180 i will defer to your advanced age and sage advice. close this thread admin.

BULLDOG8180
March 31st, 2008, 10:59 AM
8180 i will defer to your advanced age and sage advice. close this thread admin.

Advanced age??? I will admit, "I'm not as good as I once was, but my current state is better than most ever will be or ever have been."xsmiley_wix

Marcus Garvey
April 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Nothing new to add... just bringing this thread back to the top of the list.
xthumbsupx

citdog
April 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Nothing new to add... just bringing this thread back to the top of the list.
xthumbsupx

and marcus garvey back to the top of my freaking listxmadx xmadx xmadx

terrierbob
April 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Remind me to never piss any of you guys off. Feels like I got lost and woke up in a bad movie.xeekx (Please don't kick my ass for saying that).

Go...gate
April 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
i'm not going anywhere.

Glad to hear this.

D1scout
April 6th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Read the article and it is scary! It has changed my perspective on what athletes come up against if choosing to attend the Citadel. I would think this article would discourage a lot of recruits from attending the Citadel. Maybe, their W-L record would be better if they cut the athletes a little slack immediately prior to the contests or in-season. Just a thought!

08Dawg
April 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Why should we cut them any slack? Part of the value of going to The Citadel is knowing that you, for better or worse, sucked it up and endured nine months of **** right alongside your classmates, that everybody went through the same thing and came out on the other side. That's why, though I don't personally know CID1990 or Citdog or any of the other Citadel posters on here, I know that because we've been through (basically) the same experience (yes I know y'all had it harder) I can trust their word to the nth degree. I have alot of respect for our athletes, because I've come to realize they do have alot on their plate. But cutting them slack would be robbing them of part of The Citadel experience. If you want it easy, go to Furman.

citdog
April 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Why should we cut them any slack? Part of the value of going to The Citadel is knowing that you, for better or worse, sucked it up and endured nine months of **** right alongside your classmates, that everybody went through the same thing and came out on the other side. That's why, though I don't personally know CID1990 or Citdog or any of the other Citadel posters on here, I know that because we've been through (basically) the same experience (yes I know y'all had it harder) I can trust their word to the nth degree. I have alot of respect for our athletes, because I've come to realize they do have alot on their plate. But cutting them slack would be robbing them of part of The Citadel experience. If you want it easy, go to Furman.

The Class of 2008 is well represented here by this Cadet! WELL SAID!

Millwoch
April 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Read the article and it is scary! It has changed my perspective on what athletes come up against if choosing to attend the Citadel. I would think this article would discourage a lot of recruits from attending the Citadel. Maybe, their W-L record would be better if they cut the athletes a little slack immediately prior to the contests or in-season. Just a thought!

D1...this article is fiction. Yes our knobs have a hard year, including those who play football. But it is not abusive as this article seems to suggest. Our football players are well taken care of. They do get some advantages(get to miss inspections, parades, extra overnights, etc.), but they also work their tails off on football field and in the weight room. Like 08 said, if you want it easy go somewhere else. But when you get your degree from The Citadel and you will be in the "Long Grey Line", a network of Citadel men that will stand by and fight for each other no matter the circumstance.