PDA

View Full Version : I-AA/FCS Schools in the NCAA Tournament

DFW HOYA
March 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Georgetown and Davidson, to name but a few.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=0845a2ac-c24e-4a35-bea2-b8f90681b863&k=98053

aztecjim
March 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
The Pioneer Football League is now 3-1. Davidson, Drake, Butler, and San Diego. Plus Dayton won its opening NIT game.

TheValleyRaider
March 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Austin Peay
Butler
Cornell
Davidson
Drake
Georgetown
Mississippi Valley State
Portland State
San Diego
Villanova

Total schools with FCS Football in the Tournament: 10

So far (halfway through Day 2), the gang is 4-5
Villanova (vs. Clemson) still left to play

Hoyadestroya85
March 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
how about San Diego...
What a year for them in sports...

spelunker64
March 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Other sports...

brownbear
March 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
The Pioneer Football League is now 3-1. Davidson, Drake, Butler, and San Diego. Plus Dayton won its opening NIT game.

And to think that Drake was the top team in the regular season of those.

401ks
March 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
And to think that Drake was the top team in the regular season of those.

I'm not sure what you mean. xconfusedx

Butler finished the regular season ranked #10 in the ESPN/USA Today Poll, and #11 in the AP Poll.

Yes, Drake beat Butler and was seeded #5 in the tournament to Butler's #7 seed, but it would seem that Butler was the "top team in the regular season of those."

TheValleyRaider
March 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
After Round 1, the following FCS schools were eliminated:
#15-Austin Peay lost to #2-Texas (South)
#14-Cornell lost to #3-Stanford (South)
#5-Drake lost to #12-Western Kentucky (West)
#16-Mississippi Valley State lost to #1-UCLA (West)
#16-Portland State lost to #1-Kansas (Midwest)

5 FCS schools remain
#7-Butler vs. #2-Tennessee (East)
#10-Davidson vs. #2-Georgetown (Midwest)
#2-Georgetown vs. #10-Davidson (Midwest)
#13-San Diego vs. #12-Western Kentucky (West)
#12-Villanova vs. #13-Siena (Midwest)

CID1990
March 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have Davidson picked to go to the Elite 8.

Yes, that means they beat Georgetown. Anyone who has not seen Curry play would think I am crazy, but this Davidson team is for real. They lost to UNC by just a couple points.

crunifan
March 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. xconfusedx

Butler finished the regular season ranked #10 in the ESPN/USA Today Poll, and #11 in the AP Poll.

Yes, Drake beat Butler and was seeded #5 in the tournament to Butler's #7 seed, but it would seem that Butler was the "top team in the regular season of those."

Umm, you said it yourself. Drake beat Butler.

Not only did Drake beat Butler, but they beat Butler in Indianapolis.

I think that settles which team is better. Who cares of Butler won in the first round and Drake lost, comparing teams like that means nothing. Bottom line is the two teams played head to head at the end of the season and Drake won.

neersnbeers
March 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
lounge

furman94
March 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Davidson is a Wuss! Grow a pair and play Football in the SOCON! We should drop all schools that don't play football! (Except for CoC, I hope they get a Football program soon...)

crunifan
March 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Davidson is a Wuss! Grow a pair and play Football in the SOCON! We should drop all schools that don't play football! (Except for CoC, I hope they get a Football program soon...)

Davidson is the only good school for basketball in your conference. You get rid of them and you become arguably the worst basketball conference in the country.

furman94
March 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Um... College of Charleston?! I understand your statement, but Davidson needs to step up and run with the big dogs in Football, like we have to do in basketball! lol

crunifan
March 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Um... College of Charleston?! I understand your statement, but Davidson needs to step up and run with the big dogs in Football, like we have to do in basketball! lol

Football is so much more expensive than basketball though. It's relatively easy to make a profit in basketball. Not so much in football.

The MVC has four teams with no football (and Drake with no scholarship) in Creighton, Bradley, Evansville, and Wichita State. Wichita State has mentioned possibly starting up football again, they already have a 30,000 seat stadium. But I wouldn't ever count on the other three starting. It would be even harder for smaller private schools (like Creighton or Davidson).

shockers02
March 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Football is so much more expensive than basketball though. It's relatively easy to make a profit in basketball. Not so much in football.

The MVC has four teams with no football (and Drake with no scholarship) in Creighton, Bradley, Evansville, and Wichita State. Wichita State has mentioned possibly starting up football again, they already have a 30,000 seat stadium. But I wouldn't ever count on the other three starting. It would be even harder for smaller private schools (like Creighton or Davidson).

Your right, there has been talk around Wichita for years about getting a football program going again. Particularly last summer there was a lot of talk, but the president and AD just turned it down. They won't even look into starting a team again. I think the biggest reason we've stayed away from it is the success we've had with sports the last 5 years or so. 4 MVC All Sport championships in a row, I would guess there just afraid to mess with that.

Husky Alum
March 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
If you guys want a website that's probably the authority on Mid Major basketball, go to www.midmajority.com

The guy who runs the site (Kyle Whelliston) writes for ESPN.com and the Basketball Times and is one of, if not the, pre-eminent authority on Mid Major hoops.

crunifan
March 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Your right, there has been talk around Wichita for years about getting a football program going again. Particularly last summer there was a lot of talk, but the president and AD just turned it down. They won't even look into starting a team again. I think the biggest reason we've stayed away from it is the success we've had with sports the last 5 years or so. 4 MVC All Sport championships in a row, I would guess there just afraid to mess with that.

You guys need to get on that. Wichita State getting football would move things even closer to MVC football. Plus, it would be great to see the Shockers playing in the Dome!

shockers02
March 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
You guys need to get on that. Wichita State getting football would move things even closer to MVC football. Plus, it would be great to see the Shockers playing in the Dome!

I really wish we would get a team, but it's probably going to be a few years. Once the current president and AD are gone the talk about a team will come up again.

TheValleyRaider
March 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
After Round 2, the following FCS schools were eliminated:
#7-Butler lost to #2-Tennessee (East)
#2-Georgetown lost to #10-Davidson (Midwest)
#13-San Diego lost to #12-Western Kentucky (West)

2 FCS Schools remain
#10-Davidson vs. #3-Wisconsin (Midwest)
#12-Villanova vs. #1-Kansas (Midwest)

trusty
March 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM
After Round 2, the following FCS schools were eliminated:
#7-Butler lost to #2-Tennessee (East)
#2-Georgetown lost to #10-Davidson (Midwest)
#13-San Diego lost to #12-Western Kentucky (West)

2 FCS Schools remain
#10-Davidson vs. #3-Wisconsin (Midwest)
#12-Villanova vs. #1-Kansas (Midwest)

I think Davidson can beat Wisc.

jessesd
March 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have Davidson picked to go to the Elite 8.

Yes, that means they beat Georgetown. Anyone who has not seen Curry play would think I am crazy, but this Davidson team is for real. They lost to UNC by just a couple points.

xbowx xbowx xbowx Yes, you are crazy, but you got this one right!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbeerchugx

I-AA Fan
March 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Davidson is the only good school for basketball in your conference. You get rid of them and you become arguably the worst basketball conference in the country.

2 things:

Davidson is a quality program, but clearly this is fluke year for them. That is what makes the tourney so exciting.

UNI's success in basketball was also a fluke, so don't point fingers.

A school like Butler that has won the respect of the basketball nation is not a fluke. It has taken years for them to win that respect. They are the top mid-major program in the country. In recent years they have had a great-8, a couple sweet-16's, they have won the great Alaska shoot-out, the pre-season NIT. Yet, they still cannot get any big-6 conference clubs to play them at home. They take the cards they are dealt & win with them.

CID1990
March 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM

I could care less, but then that would take effort.

The SoCon football schools don't really emphasize basketball. In general, the SoCon's best basketball programs are at the schools that don't have football.

Personally, I like following Davidson in the tournament, but I still wish the SoCon would tell them (and UNCG and George Street Finishing School) to play football or get the flock out.

Biff
March 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I could care less, but then that would take effort.

The SoCon football schools don't really emphasize basketball. In general, the SoCon's best basketball programs are at the schools that don't have football.

Personally, I like following Davidson in the tournament, but I still wish the SoCon would tell them (and UNCG and George Street Finishing School) to play football or get the flock out.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

I also refer to them as the George Street Brothel. They provide free services for Cadets.

NorCalJack
March 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I think Davidson can beat Wisc.

I like Davidson as much as the next guy, but Wisconsin looks really tough. They really physical inside and can defend the 3. Wisconsin has a tremendous defense and basically shut down Beasley in the second half. Wisconsin will own the paint and wear down Davidson inside. Sorry but I will have to go with Wisconsin on this one.

NorCalJack
March 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Boy I was looking at the teams in the Pioneer Football League and man that would make a great basketball conference. With Butler, Davidson, Drake and San Diego all making noise or at least getting high seeds in the NCAA tourney. Valparaiso also having a history of making some noise in the NCAA.

I see Marist is going to join the league in '09. They have a good women's BB team also.

Hoyadestroya85
March 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Rock Chalk Wildcat?