PDA

View Full Version : JMU gets letter from NCAA

AppStFan76
March 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.dailynews-record.com/sports_details.php?AID=15710&CHID=3

Should teams be required to keep their locker rooms open to the press after a game? I think so

Missingnumber7
March 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
I thought they were to provide a press room or a place where players could be made available to the press. It is interesting that they would be required to allow reporters in the locker room especially after a loss.

AppStFan76
March 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
I thought they were to provide a press room or a place where players could be made available to the press. It is interesting that they would be required to allow reporters in the locker room especially after a loss.

How many 1-AA schools have a press room?

andy7171
March 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM

Even when Towson was Towson State in 1989 getting routed by D.II IUP in front of 500 fans in 4,800 seat Minnegan Stadium, we had a press room.

Tribe4SF
March 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
I certainly understand where Mickey was coming from, but this was really typical of him. He exaggerates all the time. Were the Dukes more devastated than any other team that lost in the first round? Nobody likes talking to the media after a big loss, but in the playoffs it's just part of the deal. You prepare your team to deal with it, and then you lead them through it as it happens. If you don't, then you're basically telling your team..."I know you can't handle it". Maybe the truth is that Mickey couldn't handle it.

AppStFan76
March 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
I would have thought that press rooms would not be that common. I stand corrected!

Tribe4SF
March 21st, 2008, 07:54 AM
They're not that common. Post game interviews at our level are most often conducted in the locker room.

AppStFan76
March 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
They're not that common. Post game interviews at our level are most often conducted in the locker room.

Thats what I thought

D1scout
March 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
The coach is right! If the players aren't interested in talking to reporters following a hard loss then that's their decision to make. The players are exploted enough the way it is with the press. Everyone wants to make a buck at their expense. That being said, however, the coach is answerable to the public and a school's fans and should make an effort to meet with representatives of the public, the reporters, and provide reasonable information as requested.

andy7171
March 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
What's so special about having a press room? Its a room with a table and a couple chairs where any reporters have access to ask players and coaches questions. We never had press in the locker room, a coach would come in and let you know someone wanted to speak with you. Any large multi-purpose building/field house/stadium has a room like that. Hell, I bet even Del State has a press room under that home side of the stadium.

BTW, Del State visitor locker room is lower than the adjoining shower room, so the locker room floor would flood post game. Nice!

CSUBUCDAD
March 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Having been in that situation before, the last thing I wanted to see was a microphone stuck in my face and some self righteous sports writer asking me how it felt to blow a sure win.

danefan
March 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
Teams really don't have press rooms?

No way at the college level should reporters be in the locker room. You don't need a dedicated press room, but your teams have film and meeting rooms don't they? Do the interviews there. Plus your SID or Assistant SID should be a filter from the press anyway.

At Albany the locker room is a place where the players can get away from the crowd and "outsiders". Allowing the press in would just be an invasion IMO.

andy7171
March 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
Having been in that situation before, the last thing I wanted to see was a microphone stuck in my face and some self righteous sports writer asking me how it felt to blow a sure win.

And let's face it. Mr.C would have been over in the App State locker room celebrating with the team. :D JK MrC, I miss you. xpeacex

WUTNDITWAA
March 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM

Maybe not, but you sure as heck enjoy reading about it. Whose job is it to get that article you read? It's the "self-righteous sports writer's" job.

WUTNDITWAA
March 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Teams really don't have press rooms?

No way at the college level should reporters be in the locker room. You don't need a dedicated press room, but your teams have film and meeting rooms don't they? Do the interviews there.

At Albany the locker room is a place where the players can get away from the crowd and "outsiders". Allowing the press in would just be an invasion IMO.

All NCAA sites have interview areas, or press rooms, set up. Right down to the D-III level. Now, whether a coach makes a player or two go to the room, or if a reporter chooses to strike out on his own and interview a player who doesn't go into the interview area, is another story.

AppStFan76
March 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
I don't think its unreasonable to request some time for your players following an emotional loss like that. However the article makes it sound as though they locked the door like a bunch of little kids refusing to come out of their room because they were pouting.

I agree with Tribe's earlier comment its the coaches job to lead the way and show them how to deal with a situation like that as well as prepare them for the possibility of loosing

CSUBUCDAD
March 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Maybe not, but you sure as heck enjoy reading about it. Whose job is it to get that article you read? It's the "self-righteous sports writer's" job.
You either ARE a sports writer or have never spent any time in a press box with them. Those are the only people who DON"T think they are self righteous and arrogant.

BeauFoster
March 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM

ASU held a press conference the Monday after the Michigan win. They do have space that is suitable for use as a press room, but having been in Owens field house before, I know that it is not a dedicated, press only room. Once the new facility is completed, there will be much more (and better) space for post game interviews/conferences.

dakotadan
March 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM

UND has used a press area for years even at the DII level.

WUTNDITWAA
March 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
You either ARE a sports writer or have never spent any time in a press box with them. Those are the only people who DON"T think they are self righteous and arrogant.

Yep. Just a buch of arseholes who get into games for free, sit in the best seats in the house and eat a bunch of free food. xrolleyesx

I honestly didn't think anyone from Charleston Southern would be such an expert on media coverage.xcoffeex

andy7171
March 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yep. Just a buch of arseholes who get into games for free, sit in the best seats in the house and eat a bunch of free food. xrolleyesx

I honestly didn't think anyone from Charleston Southern would be such an expert on media coverage.xcoffeex
So being a fan of a winning team makes you smarter than the rest of us? Gimme a break. This is a low blow to BUCDAD this aint the smack room.
xrolleyesx

HiHiYikas
March 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
WUTNDITWAA hasn't ever impressed me as "self-righteous."

I used to think I wanted to be a sports writer when I grew up. Then I got a part-time job as a sports writer. It's not an easy job. There are some good folks doing it, and some bad folks (like pretty much anything). It's one of a handful of jobs (right up there with referee, athlete, coach) where people think it's OK to berate you about how much they think you suck.

I did work around some irate sportswriters, though. It's easy to get irate when an athletic program wants the benefits of celebrity (players on billboards, merchandising, endorsements, high ticket sales, lots of news coverage when things are good) without the accountability that comes with some degree of fame.

It takes guts to accept the fact that publicity is a two-way street, to man-up and be accountable.

WUTNDITWAA
March 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
So being a fan of a winning team makes you smarter than the rest of us? Gimme a break. This is a low blow to BUCDAD this aint the smack room.
xrolleyesx

Not sure what you're getting at. If that's a low blow to the degree you feel it is, I suggest everyone here get some thicker skin.xnodx

WUTNDITWAA
March 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
WUTNDITWAA hasn't ever impressed me as "self-righteous."

I used to think I wanted to be a sports writer when I grew up. Then I got a part-time job as a sports writer. It's not an easy job. There are some good folks doing it, and some bad folks (like pretty much anything). It's one of a handful of jobs (right up there with referee, athlete, coach) where people think it's OK to berate you about how much they think you suck.

I did work around some irate sportswriters, though. It's easy to get irate when an athletic program wants the benefits of celebrity (players on billboards, merchandising, endorsements, high ticket sales, lots of news coverage when things are good) without the accountability that comes with some degree of fame.

It takes guts to accept the fact that publicity is a two-way street, to man-up and be accountable.

Thanks HHY. Sportswriters can ask some stupid questions from time to time, and some are as pricky as a porcupine, but that doesn't excuse anyone from talking to them when everybody is abiding by the rules.

BDKJMU
March 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM
I certainly understand where Mickey was coming from, but this was really typical of him. He exaggerates all the time. Were the Dukes more devastated than any other team that lost in the first round? Nobody likes talking to the media after a big loss, but in the playoffs it's just part of the deal. You prepare your team to deal with it, and then you lead them through it as it happens. If you don't, then you're basically telling your team..."I know you can't handle it". Maybe the truth is that Mickey couldn't handle it.

Yes. When you lose on what is a near miracle finish for the other team, and when you feel that whoever won that game was going to win the NC.

JMU_Fan_2007
March 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes. When you lose on what is a near miracle finish for the other team, and when you feel that whoever won that game was going to win the NC.

yeah, I was going to say, if you think that then I doubt you watched this game.

Tribe4SF
March 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Of course I watched the game, and of course the Dukes were devastated. The point is that other teams' players were devastated too, but their coaches didn't see their circumstances as "special".

Mickey frequently lacks perspective, and this was just another example of that.

JMU2004
March 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Of course I watched the game, and of course the Dukes were devastated. The point is that other teams' players were devastated too, but their coaches didn't see their circumstances as "special".

Mickey frequently lacks perspective, and this was just another example of that.

and you frequently lack the "unbiased" view that is neccesary. If you watched the game, and especially the last 2 minutes, then you MIGHT understand how 18-22 yr olds were a tad too upset to meet the media.

If there is ANY constant on AGS, it is UD (UMASS/Transfer U) and W&M fans finding reasons to disparage JMU. No other schoool does it, so what is your excuse?

Tribe4SF
March 22nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
and you frequently lack the "unbiased" view that is neccesary. If you watched the game, and especially the last 2 minutes, then you MIGHT understand how 18-22 yr olds were a tad too upset to great the media.

If there is ANY constant on AGS, it is UD (UMASS/Transfer U) and W&M fans finding reasons to disparage JMU. No other schoool does it, so what is your excuse?

xlolx OK, my friend. I know you guys are "special".:D

SoCon48
March 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
That's kinda what makes this board interesting: W&M's never miss a chance to bust on the JMU's.

phillyAPP
March 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks HHY. Sportswriters can ask some stupid questions from time to time, and some are as pricky as a porcupine, but that doesn't excuse anyone from talking to them when everybody is abiding by the rules.

This game was an exception and the reporters should understand that, rules or no rules.

I like what Coach Mathews did. The reporters can wait till the team is ready to talk. I don't care what the rules are ! The reporters may have the right to be there BUT Matthews can defend his players and their emotions. Maybe next time they can have a silent press conference if the reporters mandate locker room access.

Reporters need to grow up and let the kids work on growing up. Give them a break.

Tribe4SF
March 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
This game was an exception and the reporters should understand that, rules or no rules.

I like what Coach Mathews did. The reporters can wait till the team is ready to talk. I don't care what the rules are ! The reporters may have the right to be there BUT Matthews can defend his players and their emotions. Maybe next time they can have a silent press conference if the reporters mandate locker room access.

Reporters need to grow up and let the kids work on growing up. Give them a break.

It's a game, and these are young men, not kids. A 20 year old should be protected from the media if he's just witnessed his friend getting blown up in the streets of Iraq. If he's just lost a close college football game, he should still recognize his privelege and position in being there. We should expect our young men to be possessed of character, and capable of managing their emotions in difficult situations. A coach should recognize that you learn more about life, and how to live it when you lose a game like this, than you do if you win it.

As to reporters "mandating" locker room access, they don't mandate it, the NCAA does. This was a playoff game, and the NCAA sets the rules.

spdram
March 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
How about telling your players if they don't care to speak to the press simply say "I'm sorry I have no comment at this time". Once or twice of this and the reporter will move on.

JohnStOnge
March 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
They need to change that rule. No way participation in NCAA events should be conditioned upon being willing to talk to the press. That's ridiculous.

ButlerGSU
March 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
"When those kids don't want to talk to you, I'll fall on the sword," Matthews said last month. "Those kids did not want to talk to you."

Sounds to me like he was just protecting his players and I cannot fault him for that. The media can interview them later but a few minutes after a game like that I wouldn't have anything to say either.

WUTNDITWAA
March 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM

Tribe4SF said it better than I could ever phrase. I'll just second it.

Appaholic
March 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
How about telling your players if they don't care to speak to the press simply say "I'm sorry I have no comment at this time". Once or twice of this and the reporter will move on.

Best way to handle it.......NCAA is wrong to mandate it, but it is a rule.......and seeing how the NCAA is a stickler for technicalities, then Mathews should have made locker-room available and instructed his players to say "no comment"......the locker room access is BS......players should have privacy when showering, dressing, etc......rule should be that players and coaches are made available, not that locker room access is mandatory....

mcveyrl
March 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Say what you want about Matthews (he is a bit brash at times...okay, most of the time) but this is the right call as the coach and leader of the team. If the players don't want to talk, then stand up for them.

Matthews never indicated that his players were more devastated than any other team. All he said was that his players didn't want to talk and he did what was necessary to stick up for them. I'd say it endeared his players to him even more. I'm sure he would support any other coach's decision to do the same thing.

patssle
March 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't think studen athletes should be forced to talk to the media. They are college kids, not professionals.

Talk to the coach, he's a man, he's 40.

phillyAPP
March 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Tribe4SF said it better than I could ever phrase. I'll just second it.

your second verses 10+ on my side.

Be human and have a heart. otherwise stay an underdog.

WUTNDITWAA
March 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
your second verses 10+ on my side.

Be human and have a heart. otherwise stay an underdog.

What? Underdog?

AppStFan76
March 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Did the JMU players ever talk to the media after that game? I understand needing some time, but did the media ever even get a chance to interview the players?

SkinsWizDukes
March 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
That's kinda what makes this board interesting: W&M's never miss a chance to bust on the JMU's.

JMU takes care of it on the field, where it matters.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Did the JMU players ever talk to the media after that game? I understand needing some time, but did the media ever even get a chance to interview the players?

Yes. Here is one example from Harrisonburg's local paper:

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13514&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football%20Appalachian%20State&title=&author=&channelid=0

Bottom line is that Mickey Matthews is a hell of a man, a great father figure to these men, and someone who cares about his team like his family. I think most coaches are like that. I think most coaches around the country would find no fault in the decision Coach Matthews made.

I don't buy the argument of building a man's character BS by talking to the media directly after perhaps the biggest loss in most of these men's lives. Let them deal with it as a team, together, how they want to deal with it.

It is a NCAA rule, but it is a stupid rule IMO. We also have stupid laws in our country, many of which I at times may disregard. Does that mean I have less character. To some, probably so, but I also believe in doing what is best - and sometimes there are rules that do not follow my code of ethics. But that's just me... xpeacex

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
By the way, love the "For Sale" sign there at the Big House! xlolx xthumbsupx

asu3peat
March 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=JMU2K_DukeDawg;902513]Yes. Here is one example from Harrisonburg's local paper:

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13514&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football%20Appalachian%20State&title=&author=&channelid=0

Bottom line is that Mickey Matthews is a hell of a man, a great father figure to these men, and someone who cares about his team like his family. I think most coaches are like that. I think most coaches around the country would find no fault in the decision Coach Matthews made.

I commend Coach Matthews on his handling of the situation. No one should be forced to speak, regardless of the rule. I believe there is too much media interaction before, during and after ball games. Let them play!!!

I feel it's the coaches and player's right not to speak to the media. If I were the coach I would have handled it in a similar manner.

JohnStOnge
March 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Media people don't "bestow" publicity on people to benefit those people. They do it to benefit themselves. Nobody owes news media people anything. At a larger level, somewhere along the line, the first Amendment freedom of the press clause got twisted into this idea that the media are like a branch of government endowed with special responsibility and authority so that people are obligated to provide them with information. That's nonsense. It protects their right to say whatever they want. But it doesn't give them any more of a right to information or interaction than anybody else has. Except for the NCAA rule, reporters had no more a "right" to be in that locker room than you or I have.

If the media people involved had had an ounce of class they wouldn't even have pressed the issue. We wouldn't be talking about it because none of them would've complained.

I'll go ahead and mention that I was a reporter and later sports editor of a small town newspaper many years ago. Even at that level, I saw the attitude of entitlement I'm talking about.

I hear it all the time around Baton Rouge with LSU too. It's like they think LSU officials have an obligation to talk to them, answer their questions, etc. They don't. And if the media don't want to cover LSU as a result, they're free to quit covering them.

But they won't. And the reason is that LSU is a gold mine for them. Again, they're not covering LSU to help LSU. They're covering LSU because it sells papers, gets listeners, and grabs viewers. It makes money for them. The better LSU does, the better they do.

gophoenix
March 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thats what I thought

Are you sure? Most SoCon schools have press rooms?

WMTribe90
March 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Matthews missed an opportunity to teach his players a valubale life lesson. I thought the goal of sports in general, and football in particular, was to instill strong character and virtues. Football is still just a game at the end of the day. Its not asking to much to expect 18-22 year-old men to be able to answer a few questions following a tough game. Matthews could have used this opportunity to teach his players how to handle themselves with composure, maturity and discipline in the face of adversity. Instead he taught them its okay to ignore the rules and your obligations when things don't go your way and that losing a game is an excuse for behaving differently then you would in victory. He also deprived the players of an opportunity to represent JMU in a positive way to the nation.

Imagine the alternative to the current article and quotes...

Reporter: Can you describe yor emotions after this hard-fought loss?
JMU Player: Of course we are exteremely dissapointed in the outcome of the game and the way it unfolded in the closing minutes. We had a chance to beat a very good ASU squad on their field and let it slip away. Give credit to ASU though, their guys played very hard and hung around.

Tribe4SF
March 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Matthews missed an opportunity to teach his players a valubale life lesson. I thought the goal of sports in general, and football in particular, was to instill strong character and virtues. Football is still just a game at the end of the day. Its not asking to much to expect 18-22 year-old men to be able to answer a few questions following a tough game. Matthews could have used this opportunity to teach his players how to handle themselves with composure, maturity and discipline in the face of adversity. Instead he taught them its okay to ignore the rules and your obligations when things don't go your way and that losing a game is an excuse for behaving differently then you would in victory. He also deprived the players of an opportunity to represent JMU in a positive way to the nation.

Imagine the alternative to the current article and quotes...

JMU Player: Of course we are exteremely dissapointed in the outcome of the game and the way it unfolded in the closing minutes. We had a chance to beat a very good ASU squad on their field and let it slip away. Give credit to ASU though, their guys played very hard and hung around.

Character and maturity. Must be a Tribe thing.

JMU2004
March 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Thats rich xwhistlex xbawlingx

I could knock this one out of the reservation, but I must refrain.

JohnStOnge
March 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Right. They could've learned to lie convincingly. No doubt they really thought that they outplayed App State and should've won...that they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. But they could've learned to give the pat, expected answer that you're supposed to give in a situation like that.

Reminds me of when someone suffers a tragedy and some media clown shoves a microphone in their face and asks, "How do you feel?"

How the hell do you THINK they feel? Why is it SO necessary to even ask the question?

whitey
March 26th, 2008, 07:24 AM
You W&M posters are making yourselves look foolish in this thread.

The team was devastated after that loss. If they wanted to have a few minutes to themselves in their locker room immediately following the game I don't see a single good reason why the shouldn't have that.

Tribe4SF
March 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
You W&M posters are making yourselves look foolish in this thread.

The team was devastated after that loss. If they wanted to have a few minutes to themselves in their locker room immediately following the game I don't see a single good reason why the shouldn't have that.

Don't generalize too much. There are only two of us who've commented here. Both former players, by the way. There's nothing foolish about having a different view of this situation. WMTribe90 was on our '96 team that suffered a heartbreaking quarterfinal loss at Northern Iowa, so he's been in a similar situation. Different programs seem to emphasize different priorities, and it's not surprising to me that he and I share a common perspective on this.

WMTribe90
March 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
No where in the linked article was it stated or implied that Matthews closed his locker room for a "few minutes". It appears no players were interviewed at any time post-game.

Besides, I doubt the players were begging matthews to keep the press out, he's so dramatic. What team in the history of sport has WANTED to talk to the press after a loss, yet every other team that lost in the first round apparently found their way clear to answering a few questions. Maybe he didn't want his players critiquing his play calling with the press?

whitey
March 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
There's nothing foolish about having a different view of this situation.

I'm not saying your opinion is foolish. I wouldn't say that, you are entitled to your own opinion of course. But when you say things like "maturity & character must be a Tribe thing" you are making yourselves look foolish.

Whose "generalizing" now?

whitey
March 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM
No where in the linked article was it stated or implied that Matthews closed his locker room for a "few minutes". It appears no players were interviewed at any time post-game.

If you had actually read this article (http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13514&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football%20Appalachian%20State&title=&author=&channelid=0) which was posted above you'll see that it first appeared on the DNR website on 11/24/2007 (the same day as the game). You would also see that the author of the article talked to and quoted a few of the players (LeZotte & Bolton).

So it's pretty clear to me some players were interviewed at some point after the game.

matthews...he's so dramatic.

I can't possibly argue with this. :-)

Tribe4SF
March 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not saying your opinion is foolish. I wouldn't say that, you are entitled to your own opinion of course. But when you say things like "maturity & character must be a Tribe thing" you are making yourselves look foolish.

Whose "generalizing" now?

So it's just me looking foolish. That's OK. Just leave the rest of the Tribe faithful out of it.xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I'd like to think that UNH's loss at Northern Iowa was just as devastating to the Wildcats as was the Dukes loss to App. After all UNI was the tournament #1 seed and playing at home. UNH went ahead on a TD scored with 1:16 left only to have UNI score their winning TD with :07 left on a pass that was bobbled before caught. I think most will agree that was a crushing loss.

To the best of my knowledge, UNH participated in the post game press conference that night in Cedar Falls. Just like they did after crushing playoff losses in 2005 and 2006. YorkCounty and 05 might even recall the comments I made about how well Ricky Santos seemed to be handling the loss this year and how I theorized that participating in all the press conferences had a positive impact.

The post game press conference with the coach and a couple of players attending is mandated after every regular season game, not just playoff games. It is part of the routine of every FCS game played. Yeah, it's got to be painful as all get out after a tough loss, but that's life. Only one team gets to avoid the press conference after a playoff loss. It goes with the territory and is part of the responsibility of the head coach.

bandl
March 26th, 2008, 10:30 AM
If this is the only thing that people can find to bitch about concerning JMU, then that's a good thing. xnodx I'd rather it be something as insignificant as this than some of the other stuff that has been going on recently at Colgate, UNI, UCA, Hampton, etc.

mcveyrl
March 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM

I'm all for everybody having an opinion, and I can see both sides of the coin on this one, but if you've gotta add that...xsmhx xsmhx

AppStFan76
March 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
If this is the only thing that people can find to bitch about concerning JMU, then that's a good thing. xnodx I'd rather it be something as insignificant as this than some of the other stuff that has been going on recently at Colgate, UNI, UCA, Hampton, etc.

I didn't start this thread to Bitch about JMU . It was started to see what the AGS crowd though about the rule. But it was addressed by the NCAA concerning JMU.

I for one have alot of respect for JMU.