PDA

View Full Version : W&M set for Spring drills.

Tribe4SF
March 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Start tomorrow, with Spring Game set for April 12.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/6819/

Pictured is wide receiver Elliott Mack.

Hoyadestroya85
March 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I'm not too excited about playing against you guys at your place next year.. i think we could get an awakening

Tribe4SF
March 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Until our defense shows they can hold opponents under 40 a game we won't be projecting much improvement over last year. That D was too young, and too thin along the front. Sure, there are reasons to believe they'll be better, but after three straight years of dismal defensive play, they need to show something before anyone in Williamsburg starts talking.

There are several guys who redshirted last fall who are expected to help defensively. DE Ravi Pradhanang, DT Harold Robertson, and LBs Jake Trantin and Marcus Hyde all have size and athleticism. Defensive depth should be much better, but until we take the field against NC State we'll remain cautious.

Monarch History
March 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
.... but until we take the field against NC State we'll remain cautious.

Tribe4SF, I think your first two FCS games of the season against VMI and Norfolk State will give you a better idea of any defensive improvements.

Right now I would believe that a year's worth of maturity for your defense and several redshirts eligible, the Tribe will see marked improvement.xnodx

Tribe4SF
March 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Tribe4SF, I think your first two FCS games of the season against VMI and Norfolk State will give you a better idea of any defensive improvements.

Right now I would believe that a year's worth of maturity for your defense and several redshirts eligible, the Tribe will see marked improvement.xnodx

I hope you're right. As to NC State, we always learn alot about the team in the opener. We also learn alot about depth when we play FBS teams, especially on the defensive side.

dasteelers
March 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Until our defense shows they can hold opponents under 40 a game we won't be projecting much improvement over last year. That D was too young, and too thin along the front. Sure, there are reasons to believe they'll be better, but after three straight years of dismal defensive play, they need to show something before anyone in Williamsburg starts talking.

There are several guys who redshirted last fall who are expected to help defensively. DE Ravi Pradhanang, DT Harold Robertson, and LBs Jake Trantin and Marcus Hyde all have size and athleticism. Defensive depth should be much better, but until we take the field against NC State we'll remain cautious.

Watch JAKE TRANTIN .....that young man can fly. i remember him as a jv player in high school when we played are varsity to close the year out. the helmets cracking and the older boys moaning from his hits were a big surprise. he led us to a perfect season 2 yrs later. good kid ; very humble
he has some good genes too... uncle marty schottenhiemer

Tribe4SF
March 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Watch JAKE TRANTIN .....that young man can fly. i remember him as a jv player in high school when we played are varsity to close the year out. the helmets cracking and the older boys moaning from his hits were a big surprise. he led us to a perfect season 2 yrs later. good kid ; very humble
he has some good genes too... uncle marty schottenhiemer

We will indeed be watching Jake. He's done nothing to lower expectations, which were very high when he came in last fall.

TSUTigers79
March 17th, 2008, 08:32 AM
You also have several very good players from Montgomery County Maryland who ought to be significant contributors for you this year. CJ Herbert (Northwest), Mike Alvarado (Gaithersburg), and Andy Rampp (Wootton) were all dominant players in the county.

andy7171
March 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
You also have several very good players from Montgomery County Maryland who ought to be significant contributors for you this year. CJ Herbert (Northwest), Mike Alvarado (Gaithersburg), and Andy Rampp (Wootton) were all dominant players in the county.

Oh snap! Another Tiger!!! Welcome my brother!

TSUTigers79
March 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the snappy welcome! Newell Hall...Residence Tower....Prettyman - all great memories.

I think the Tribe could surprise some teams this year if they can stay healthy.

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM

CJ has been a frequent starter at both DE and DT. Hopefully we'll have enough depth this year so he can stick to his natural position at DE. Andy has a tough task ahead as the defensive front is now crowded. Mike saw time last year in 9 games as a backup safety.

Maryland has been a key recruiting area for us. Josh Rutter (Francis Scott Key) is arguably our best defensive player, and Jake Trantin (Archbishop Spalding) is expected to be a major contributor this year at LB. Walk-on Ben Cottingham (Edgewood) was last years surprise at CB, earning a start, and two INTs against Richmond. Luke Hiteshaw (Mt. St. Josephs) is a two year starter on the OL. Another excellent prospect is redshirt CB James Neal, who is from Baltimore, but went to prep school in New England. We also have an excellent WR prospect coming this year in CJ Thomas from Frederick Linganore.

TSUTigers79
March 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
All good points Tribe4SF, but from what I saw in a few games last season, you guys can use a little more defensive line/linebacker pressure in passing situations. I think W&M only had 10 sacks last season or something like that, and gave up 44% conversions on 3rd down. Youth had a lot to do with it, but I think Trantin and Rampp can both help in that area, along with CJ at end.

As you said earlier, a few of your redshirts may be able to help situationally along the front, along with continued improvement from the young starters. Quickness, speed and strength will be key along the defensive line, particularly against the pass. Mike A will support a young but solid secondary.

I'm really only familiar with the Maryland (specifically MOCO) players, but W&M seems to have some very solid talent. Looking forward to a good game on 11/01.

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
All good points Tribe4SF, but from what I saw in a few games last season, you guys can use a little more defensive line/linebacker pressure in passing situations. I think W&M only had 10 sacks last season or something like that, and gave up 44% conversions on 3rd down. Youth had a lot to do with it, but I think Trantin and Rampp can both help in that area, along with CJ at end.

As you said earlier, a few of your redshirts may be able to help situationally along the front, along with continued improvement from the young starters. Quickness, speed and strength will be key along the defensive line, particularly against the pass. Mike A will support a young but solid secondary.

I'm really only familiar with the Maryland (specifically MOCO) players, but W&M seems to have some very solid talent. Looking forward to a good game on 11/01.

A little more? We need alot more from our front seven.

The d-line newcomers who should make a difference are DE Ravi Pradhanang at 6'3" 255, and DT Harold Robertson at 6'1" 295, both of whom are athletic. The other redshirts include Andy Rampp, Zach Hally and James Pagliaro, all DEs. Michael Stover played as a true freshman last year, but was out of position at DT. We should have Kyle Allison back to compete at DT, and along with Sean Lissemore, Robertson, Daniel Pulley and Derek Toon, we have five actual DTs, with Lissemore the smallest (and best) at 275. DE is crowded with Adrian Tracy, CJ Herbert, Bryan Jean-Pierre, Mike Stover, Pradhanang, Rampp, Hally and Pagliaro.

None of these guys will be seniors this year.

gotribe
March 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Kyle Allison was moved to left guard on offense. Derek Toon had shoulder surgery and will be out of spring practice. Kyle had similar surgery a year ago and is good to go now.

I also hear they're looking at a WVU-like spread offensive scheme for next year.

TSUTigers79
March 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My bad, Rampp was a nose tackle his senior year, I didn't realize you had him at DE. Lissemore was a stud last year and it looks like there's lots of good depth and talent behind him. Sounds like Tracey and CJ will have a few youngsters pushing them for PT, should be fun to watch. Thanks Tribe4SF, for all of your insight - I hope you guys have a great spring season.

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Kyle Allison was moved to left guard on offense. Derek Toon had shoulder surgery and will be out of spring practice. Kyle had similar surgery a year ago and is good to go now.

I also hear they're looking at a WVU-like spread offensive scheme for next year.

Shhhhhhh! Whatever scheme we're in, you know we'll throw it more than WVU.

Didn't know Kyle had moved. I'm a little surprised.

gotribe
March 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
He was actually moved at the end of last summer, so it put him somewhat behind having to learn the playbook and relearn playing OLine (He was recruited by schools for both). He also hurt his left wrist toward the end of last season, requiring him to wear a cast over the christams break. But he seems to have battled through it all and looks forward to playing. He's a great kid.