PDA

View Full Version : Better for the option Spread or Flexbone

Hoyadestroya85
March 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I think they both have their merits but i enjoy the flexbone...
GSU was so dominant with AP when they ran it.. with a good QB a single good Slotback and a fullback who can run someone over i think its better

Cobblestone
March 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
The problem with both is once you fall behind by a touchdown or two it then becomes very difficult to catch up. Of course with a good, strong defense that may not be a problem. I hope to never see another option offense at URI again. With Rizzi coming in we'll be doing much, much more passing. Better days ahead for us.

Hoyadestroya85
March 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
well yeah.. but you can make adjustments.. RI wasn't the best team for it..

Jerbearasu
March 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think it is a lot harder to defend against a spread option attack. With the wishbone, the defense is all about assignment tackling. If everyone sticks to their assignment then the offense is shut down. In the spread attack there are so many natural running lanes that you will get pretty good yards on most plays. You won't necessarily have big gains but picking up 4 yards a play will also keep the chains moving...

andy7171
March 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
The spread is definately the choice today, give it a year or three for DC to scheme it up and another formation will be the flavor of the month, errr years.

catdaddy2402
March 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I think it is a lot harder to defend against a spread option attack. With the wishbone, the defense is all about assignment tackling. If everyone sticks to their assignment then the offense is shut down. In the spread attack there are so many natural running lanes that you will get pretty good yards on most plays. You won't necessarily have big gains but picking up 4 yards a play will also keep the chains moving...

It's always about assignment tackling, even with the spread option.

It takes defensive discipline to stop any option attack, regardless of the formation. Your defenders have to be disciplined enough to stick to their area of containment and not bite on the fakes/misdirections. It doesn't matter if it's being run out of the wish bone, flex bone, spread, or I formation if your defense gets containment it's going to shut it down.

mcveyrl
March 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM

It's always about assignment tackling, even with the spread option.

It takes defensive discipline to stop any option attack, regardless of the formation. Your defenders have to be disciplined enough to stick to their area of containment and not bite on the fakes/misdirections. It doesn't matter if it's being run out of the wish bone, flex bone, spread, or I formation if your defense gets containment it's going to shut it down.

The thing about the spread option though is that the runner is generally starting 3 or 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage with a pretty good head of steam. Any time a spread option team has fourth and one, they should go for it. Have the QB keep it. By the time his "assignment" knows which way he's going, he's got the first down.

The problem with the flexbone is that the play usually starts going either backwards or sideways. No real momentum. Spread option is usually always going forwards, running downhill.

Jerbearasu
March 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The thing about the spread option though is that the runner is generally starting 3 or 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage with a pretty good head of steam. Any time a spread option team has fourth and one, they should go for it. Have the QB keep it. By the time his "assignment" knows which way he's going, he's got the first down.

The problem with the flexbone is that the play usually starts going either backwards or sideways. No real momentum. Spread option is usually always going forwards, running downhill.

My point exactly! With the spread there is space to get at least a few yards and if there is one missed tackle then it's a huge gain...
I don't think there is a defensive "scheme" that can stop the spread option, it is more about the personnel. Once schools can get the smaller faster LB's in there then they will contain the spread a lot better and you will see a shift back to power formation offenses to overpower the smaller LB's...

Rob Iola
March 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Problem with the spread is that you've got to have the athletes at QB and WR to keep the defense honest (since you're missing blockers in the backfield). Flexbone allows you to accomplish more with marginal talent via misdirection.

Black Saturday
March 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM

IMO, The B I G advantage for the Spread Option in I-AA is there are not enough quality athletes at this level on most all defenses to cover potentially 4-5 receivers AND the threat of a run each play. It's a pick your poison scenario for a defense.

Example: No I-AA team has suceesfully "limited" ASU since they've gone to the spread. Limit, not shut down, is about all a defense can do if a team's spread option offense has quality skill players.

In '07, Wofford and JMU played "keep away" fairly successfully when APPs defense couldn't turn the ball over on downs nearly all game. That may be the best way to defend or limit a spread option. Same idea in basketball years ago, slow down game.

Rob Iola
March 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM
IMO, The B I G advantage for the Spread Option in I-AA is there are not enough quality athletes at this level on most all defenses to cover potentially 4-5 receivers AND the threat of a run each play. It's a pick your poison scenario for a defense.

Example: No I-AA team has suceesfully "limited" ASU since they've gone to the spread. Limit, not shut down, is about all a defense can do if a team's spread option offense has quality skill players.

In '07, Wofford and JMU played "keep away" fairly successfully when APPs defense couldn't turn the ball over on downs nearly all game. That may be the best way to defend or limit a spread option. Same idea in basketball years ago, slow down game.
Well c'mon, Michigan couldn't stop 'em either - with the skill and speed you had on offense recently you could probably run a goal-line offense the entire game and average 5-10 yards/play...

Black Saturday
March 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Problem with the spread is that you've got to have the athletes at QB and WR to keep the defense honest (since you're missing blockers in the backfield). Flexbone allows you to accomplish more with marginal talent via misdirection.

RB is a very important part of the spread option, as well. A spread option offense must have a substacial threat at RB to keep the defense honest.

Hoyadestroya85
March 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM
But think about this.. how good would WVA be White, Devine, Schmitt be in the Flexbone.. I'm convinced that the flexbone can be more dominant.. because its not about the big play necessarily, it's a ball control offense

MplsBison
March 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Triple option offenses remind me of leather helmets.

They belong in a museum.

appstate38
March 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
When I look at it. The Spread is the hot choice. But like anything else. If a defense is able to get penetration then you can distrupt the spread attack. Now whether you can hold up for 4 quarters still remains to be seen.

Kill'em
March 14th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Correct on the first one, except what Paul Johnson refers to the spread option y'all call the flexbone. Ask THE Great Brian VanGorder (his words, not mine) about fourth-and-short. Mike Sewak went for fourth-and-two/three several times when we played uga in '04, many on our side of the 50, and got the first down everytime.
Incorrect on the second one. Paul Johnson's spread option (flexbone) is not designed to go backward. It is not often a play goes for negative yardage. When this happens, it is because the QB took the wrong path or the slotback got the pitch behind the QB and was stopped immediately.

Kill'em
March 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM

They belong in a museum.

My favorite offense will always be the triple option.

ericsaid
March 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The spread is definately the choice today, give it a year or three for DC to scheme it up and another formation will be the flavor of the month, errr years.

That is until there are linebackers who develop evolutionary traits and run 3.9 forties while the quarterbacks still run 4.5's.xthumbsupx

Go...gate
March 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Agreed.

Hoyadestroya85
March 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
i think the idea of the flexbone with superior athletes is just scary...

Eyes of Old Main
March 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Not sure about JMU, but that's Wofford's scheme every week of every season. Our offensive and defensive styles are totally designed to shorten the game and mitigate any talent gap we may have with the opponent.

Eyes of Old Main
March 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Maybe so, but like anything else, when it's run efficiently, it's deadly efficient.

MplsBison
March 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Uhh....yeah.....I suppose when you run something efficiently...it ends up being efficient.

RazorEdge19
March 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM

When ASU's offense cannot gain a first down in the first quarter, I doubt its just a game of 'keep away'.

blueballs
March 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM

They belong in a museum.

Right next to the six NC's and two runner-ups GSU won running it...

blueballs
March 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
i think the idea of the flexbone with superior athletes is just scary...

See GSU's offense in 1986, 1998-1999 for proof of that statement...

Cobblestone
March 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM

They belong in a museum.

Along with Tim Stowers' playbook. Add to that same museum display one of the films of our QB pitching the ball 5 yards back into the end zone when we were backed up on our own one yard line.