PDA

View Full Version : Headin' For Haaahvaaahd

ngineer
September 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Will be on the road tomorrow morning as the buses leave for Cambridge. So I won't be 'checking in' until Sunday night when we get back. Looking forward to my first trip to "The Yard". After much consideration, I'm picking my Mountain Hawks, 41-34. A lot of fireworks expected. I'd prefer a lower scoring 'defensive struggle', but in light of the personnel, the schemes expected, and past history I feel this will be an entertaining game. Hope y'all who get to see it on CSTV enjoy.

Chi Panther
September 29th, 2005, 10:28 PM
ngineer,

safe travels.....have fun!

TheValleyRaider
September 29th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Hit Hahvahd Hahdah! :nod: :D

Good luck Hawkineers, represent the PL well!

MR. CHICKEN
September 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
HAPPY TRAILS...MOUNTAINHAWK......DO IN DUH BIG RED......AN' MAKE DAT DELAWARE DEFEAT LEGIT!...:nod::rotateh::nod:...........BRRAAAWWWWK KKKK!

bluehenbillk
September 30th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Too bad no one in Boston will be watching....isn't there some kinda baseball going on?

Tribe4SF
September 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Too bad no one in Boston will be watching....isn't there some kinda baseball going on?

A little weekend series that will return RedSox fans to what they do best.....whining. :D

Umass74
September 30th, 2005, 07:06 AM
All football fans should see a game at Harvard.

The current "regulation" size for a football field is based on the size of the field at Harvard.

Be advised about Harvard's halftime shows. Send the kids to the concession stands for snacks. The Harvard band has been known to do x-rated halftime shows. Their humour is also an aquired taste. Former UMass and Richmond head coach Jim Reid called the Harvard band "vile"

The last time I was there the band did a skit on cia sponsored mercenaries machine gunning helpless central american peasants...

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM

The current "regulation" size for a football field is based on the size of the field at Harvard.

Be advised about Harvard's halftime shows. Send the kids to the concession stands for snacks. The Harvard band has been known to do x-rated halftime shows. Their humour is also an aquired taste. Former UMass and Richmond head coach Jim Reid called the Harvard band "vile"

The last time I was there the band did a skit on cia sponsored mercenaries machine gunning helpless central american peasants...

"Vile," eh? I'd call the Harvard band downright creative! Back when George H.W. Bush was Reagan's veep, the band did a classic halftime show at the Yale game on the mystical significance of the number 2!

Hope you have fun, ng, and take a lot of pix. Cambridge is a great place to visit in the fall, and it will take some sting out of the inevitable Lehigh defeat! :D

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Sorry Ivytalk.... GO LEHIGH! :nod:

Wild McGuirk
September 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM
And I think that one of the main reasons the forward pass became legal was that the confines of the stadium were too narrow to produce enough offense running the ball.
I was in there for the first time a few weeks ago, and even with the place virtually empty being on that field was an awesome experience. Can only imagine how loud it would be in there with 30,000 fans, but you need to go to a Harvard-Yale game for anything close to that, they only drew around 10K for Brown last week, and I heard at least 2-3K were Brown fans.
Too bad the Ivies won't play UMass, that game could put a lot of people in the stadium.

Pard94
September 30th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Ahh yes...the trust fund babies have the answers to all of the world's problems.

Harvard is a great place to watch/play a game. Great atmosphere. Have fun!

putter
September 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM
If Harvard loses will MR. C still vote them #1?

Husky Alum
September 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Yale's band is no treat either.

I remember going to a Harvard/Yale game in 1987 (the infamous "Frigid Bowl" in New Haven that has been discussed on this board before) and Yale's band did their routine which was a satire of something to do with the Reagan Administration.

Many of the Yale band members had big letters on their back during the skit/performance, and when they lined up for their finale, they faced the Harvard side of the field to perform, and received a standing ovation from the Yale side of the field. We all thought it was unusual that the Yale band wouldn't face its own fans to play the fight song/Alma Mater, but the letters on the back of the band member's blazers were organized to spell "HARVARD BLOWS GOATS"

Yes, this is the intellectual elite.

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 10:43 AM
If Harvard loses will MR. C still vote them #1?
The number one reason to root for Lehigh.

LBPop
September 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I feel this will be an entertaining game. Hope y'all who get to see it on CSTV enjoy.

Would love to be there. Have seen the stadium empty and it really looks like a classic place to watch football. Cheer like crazy for the 'Hawks. It's so much more fun to win on the road and see the faces of the home crowd. Have a great trip.

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Would love to be there. Have seen the stadium empty and it really looks like a classic place to watch football. Cheer like crazy for the 'Hawks. It's so much more fun to win on the road and see the faces of the home crowd. Have a great trip.

One comfort for the home team is that, if the Crimson (perish the thought) do lose tomorrow, they will lose incognito! Even if it's a great day, the crowd will almost certainly not hit five figures for a PL game, and Lehigh will probably have at least 25% of the house. Last year, the biggest non-Yale crowd at Harvard was Cornell, at 14,000.

LetsGoNova
September 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
WILL
What're we gunna do up there?

CHUCKIE
'dunno. F*** up some smart kids.

LBPop
September 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
One comfort for the home team is that, if the Crimson (perish the thought) do lose tomorrow, they will lose incognito! Even if it's a great day, the crowd will almost certainly not hit five figures for a PL game, and Lehigh will probably have at least 25% of the house. Last year, the biggest non-Yale crowd at Harvard was Cornell, at 14,000.

That's really a shame. I don't get the indifference when it's not a rivalry game. Georgetown has the same problem, but it's more understandable with the many years of de-emphasis of football in DC. It's only five games per year and I suspect (this is just a guess, now) that there are at least 20,000 Harvard alums who can afford to make the trip five time each fall.

The facility is excellent and lord knows that they have no trouble raising money to support the program. I guess it's easier to send a check, than to make the trip. I suppose those contributions are all about winning one game per year.

putter
September 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
WILL
What're we gunna do up there?

CHUCKIE
'dunno. F*** up some smart kids.

"You Like Apples? How 'bout them apples?"

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I've seen a few of the Ivy bands, all of which have their own unique senses of humor. Have yet to see Harvard's, but nothing I've heard here so far surprises me one bit. Yale in particular has a very bizarre sense of humor, I think. If you're looking for decent scatter show scripts, Dartmouth's is good, but Princeton is downright hysterical. I've read some of the old ones they've posted on their website and they are consistantly funny. Very silly sense of humor, works on all ages :nod:

Then there's Cornell, who has no script, paramilitary organization that they are ;) :D

blukeys
September 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I've seen a few of the Ivy bands, all of which have their own unique senses of humor. Have yet to see Harvard's, but nothing I've heard here so far surprises me one bit. Yale in particular has a very bizarre sense of humor, I think. If you're looking for decent scatter show scripts, Dartmouth's is good, but Princeton is downright hysterical. I've read some of the old ones they've posted on their website and they are consistantly funny. Very silly sense of humor, works on all ages :nod:

Then there's Cornell, who has no script, paramilitary organization that they are ;) :D

Say what you will about the political statements and the so called "unique sense of humor" which I charitably characterize as sophomoric of the Ivy bands, the simple fact is that their musicianship s*cks. To hide their weakness in these areas they try to pretend they are doing something controversial and original. Only someone educated at an Ivy school who can't carry a tune in a bucket will fall for this obvious display of musical incompetence. Give me a quality musical product along the lines of Umass any day over the Ivy League jokers who claim they are making political statements when they are just hiding the fact that they aren't musicians. These guys use high school f*rt jokes to confuse people that they sound like *****. :mad:

TheValleyRaider
October 1st, 2005, 12:25 AM
Say what you will about the political statements and the so called "unique sense of humor" which I charitably characterize as sophomoric of the Ivy bands, the simple fact is that their musicianship s*cks. To hide their weakness in these areas they try to pretend they are doing something controversial and original. Only someone educated at an Ivy school who can't carry a tune in a bucket will fall for this obvious display of musical incompetence. Give me a quality musical product along the lines of Umass any day over the Ivy League jokers who claim they are making political statements when they are just hiding the fact that they aren't musicians. These guys use high school f*rt jokes to confuse people that they sound like *****. :mad:

Oh, don't misunderstand me, they sound awful, as music groups at least. You don't watch a scatter band for the music though, you watch them to listen for the script that goes with their show. It's all about what their band means to them. For some, it's about putting on a professional performance (a la UMass). For others, it's about enjoying yourself while giving the audience something to be amused with at halftime. So their playing sucks, they'll tell you that before you could tell them. They're not trying to hide anything, just doing it a little different.

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2005, 09:33 AM

Way harsh, blukeys. If the Ivies doled out "band scholarships" by the tubaful, like UD does, I daresay they'd sound better. :rolleyes: