PDA

View Full Version : Chuck South opens spring drills, Mills optimistic

CSUBUCDAD
March 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/12/bucs_open_spring_football_drills_today33565/

Bucs open spring football drills today
By David Shelton
Special to The Post and Courier
Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Charleston Southern head football coach Jay Mills seems optimistic about his 2008 Buccaneers being one of the better teams in school history as his squad begins spring football drills today.

The Buccaneers managed only four wins last season after posting 16 wins in the previous two seasons. It was only two seasons ago when CSU won a school-record nine games. Mills sees the same type of potential in his 2008 squad. Potential being the operative word.

"Potential is a good, positive word," said Mills. "We have some good football players returning, some quality additions and what I believe will be excellent leadership. As much as we like the word potential, it's really all about productivity. That's a more important word, and that's where the intangibles lie. We basically have five and a half months to turn potential into productivity."

This spring practice will be all about change, especially on the defensive side of the ball. CSU will have four new defensive coaches, including a new coordinator as former Clemson assistant Thielen Smith takes over this spring.

BJuice
March 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have some friends that have told me that they wouldn't be surprised if we (CSU) beat the Hurricanes. I told them I am not going to get too confident, but I do expect the Buccaneers to have a good season.

Last year's record was not what as good as we hoped it could be, but the depth that was created by all of the injuries will pay major dividends this year.

Let's go get another Big South Championship!!! GOOOOO BUCS!!!

Libertine
March 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised that you guys haven't caught this already but the Bucs actually won five games in 2007. One would think that David Shelton would know that, particularly since he used to be your SID.

BJuice
March 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM
4 or 5. It doesn't really matter to me. Either way you look at it, it wasn't a winning season, so the number doesn't really matter. The CSU Buccaneers football program has grown mightily over the recent few years of Coach Mills' leadership and has a very bright future. For that reason, a non-winning season is just that a non-winning season. The expectations are higher now than they used to be.