PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Money Whores....

Appaholic
March 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
....nice to see the Appalachian Money Whores have betrayed the "common" fan by raising the stakes to park in Raley.....as well as other lots. We've been parking at Raley for almost two decades for free. Last year, one of our group grudgingly paid the $250 required to receive a parking pass.....the price of success. Now, the powers that be have raised Raley parking to $1500 plus season tickets.....when the administration pulls this kind of *****, you better hope you never have a "down" year.....xsmhx

Cleets
March 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
....nice to see the Appalachian Money Whores have betrayed the "common" fan by raising the stakes to park in Raley.....as well as other lots. We've been parking at Raley for almost two decades for free. Last year, one of our group grudgingly paid the $250 required to receive a parking pass.....the price of success. Now, the powers that be have raised Raley parking to $1500 plus season tickets.....when the administration pulls this kind of *****, you better hope you never have a "down" year.....xsmhx

Capitalism uses success as a tool to beat the common man black and blue... xlolx
(Said the Left-Wing Communist Pink-o Nut job)

bench
March 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Apparently season ticket purchases will require at least a $500 donation to the Yosef Club. I know other schools have been doing the same thing for a while now, but the price of admission just quadrupled overnight, and they're giving you the bruised sphincter for free.

BeauFoster
March 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM

First off, season tickets have been required to get a parking pass as a Yosef Club member for at least five years. If you aren't a season ticket holder, you can apply for up to 2 passes a year. Second, Raley isn't $1500, it is $1000. $1500 (and enough points) will get you a spot in Duncan. Overflow from Duncan is in Raley (again, just as it has always been-just as Duncan is an overflow for Justice, which is overflow for the Stadium lot). Pony up the cash, help out the university, write it off on your taxes and give it back next year, too.

ASU football has been a tremendous entertainment value for years now. I guess you would be fine with cutting the number of scholarships that are funded on the football team in half, since that is the amount that would be fully funded by the Yosef Club at last year's total donation level. If you want to continue fielding the best football team in all of FCS, step up to the plate. If you are just going to cry about it and call people names, grow up or leave.

ButlerGSU
March 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Those are very true words there...because it's always hard to get fans back...

BeauFoster
March 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Apparently season ticket purchases will require at least a $500 donation to the Yosef Club. I know other schools have been doing the same thing for a while now, but the price of admission just quadrupled overnight, and they're giving you the bruised sphincter for free.

Season tickets in the middle sections (3A, 4A, 111, 213) require membership in the Yosef Club at $500 or higher. Tickets in 2A, 5A, 110, 211, 212, 214, 215 require membership at $250 or higher.

james_lawfirm
March 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
First off, season tickets have been required to get a parking pass as a Yosef Club member for at least five years. If you aren't a season ticket holder, you can apply for up to 2 passes a year. Second, Raley isn't $1500, it is $1000. $1500 (and enough points) will get you a spot in Duncan. Overflow from Duncan is in Raley (again, just as it has always been-just as Duncan is an overflow for Justice, which is overflow for the Stadium lot). Pony up the cash, help out the university, write it off on your taxes and give it back next year, too.

ASU football has been a tremendous entertainment value for years now. I guess you would be fine with cutting the number of scholarships that are funded on the football team in half, since that is the amount that would be fully funded by the Yosef Club at last year's total donation level. If you want to continue fielding the best football team in all of FCS, step up to the plate. If you are just going to cry about it and call people names, grow up or leave.

Ah, the voice of reason. Success is expensive. Duh.

james_lawfirm
March 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Those are very true words there...because it's always hard to get fans back...

I agree care must be taken here. However, the diehard fans (like me) will be there regardless of the team's success. There was a recent thread on this topic regarding the "fair-weather" fans. The ASU admin. is right to charge what it can get for the privilege of parking, tickets, etc. now. Then, they will be all the more able to make future game days even better. They may very well have to lower the prices in an "off" year. Actually, they would be lowering the prices after the "off" year.

Appaholic
March 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Give me a fokkin break....last year was the first year Raley was a pay lot....or my group (and plenty of others) have been breaking rules for the past 8+ years parking there. Cutting the number of scholarships in half.....yeah, right....how did we win i the prior years.....let's call this what it is.....they are trying to milk this run to the benefit of the bandwagon fan and at the expense of the fan who was there when App was 6-5. Carolina did the same thing in Mack Brown's last couple of years.....now, you can get a home football ticket in leiu of a free car wash when you buy 10 gallons or more of gas. I don't begrudge them trying to make a little bit more to offset their new stadium.....but this ridiculous.....and I'll "grow up" if you'll "wake up" and call spade a spade....xcoffeex

Saint3333
March 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Veg is that you? Guess we can rehash the MMB decision here too.

This is supply and demand. The demand for premium parking is there. The demand for season tickets is there. $250 still get's you a parking space in the parking deck which is about the same walking distance as Raley.

Season Tickets.

There are still 6 sections or the stadium in which individuals can purchase season tickets without a donation to the help our student athletes through the Yosef Club. A $250 donation will get you rights to 4 season tickets in all but 4 of the remaining sections. You don't even want to know how much Montana charges (and per seat). This is a program that is 5+ years due compared to programs like Montana, GSU, etc.

ASU hasn't had a down season (losing season) since the early 90's. The difference between then and now isn't just winning either it's the leadership that our chancellor and AD bring to the table.

I give because I want the best for ASU not the perks I receive in return. This is a good thing for ASU athletics.xnodx

BeauFoster
March 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Give me a fokkin break....last year was the first year Raley was a pay lot....or my group (and plenty of others) have been breaking rules for the past 8+ years parking there. Cutting the number of scholarships in half.....yeah, right....how did we win i the prior years.....let's call this what it is.....they are trying to milk this run to the benefit of the bandwagon fan and at the expense of the fan who was there when App was 6-5. Carolina did the same thing in Mack Brown's last couple of years.....now, you can get a home football ticket in leiu of a free car wash when you buy 10 gallons or more of gas. I don't begrudge them trying to make a little bit more to offset their new stadium.....but this ridiculous.....and I'll "grow up" if you'll "wake up" and call spade a spade....xcoffeex

You are correct that Raley was a Yosef lot last year, for the first time. And the reason for that is demand. The administration realized that they could get more people to join by charging for the right to park in that lot. They are doing the same thing this year (and it will likely continue in the future, as well). I have no problem with it. I parked in Raley last year, and will park there this year, too.

Where do you think scholarships that are not covered by the Yosef Club comes from? It doesn't just magically appear out of no where. It comes out of the general athletic budget. That $1.6 mil can be used in more appropriate places, like adding restrooms, concession stands, and stadium expansion. It can also provide weight lifting equipment, athletic staff, field house enhancements, and equipment to benefit all student-athletes in Boone. You seem to want success, but don't want to help pay for it. Your arguement that you are being pushed out for fairweather fans is the biggest cop-out in the world. Do you go to message boards and call BMW management whores because they charge more for their vehicles than Kia?

It is unfortunate that not all fans will have the means to park and tailgate in a lot on campus. My sister will not be able to this year, and she and her husband have been season ticket holders since before we were 6-5. I myself have been attending ASU football games for more than a decade. I have only recently (within the last few years) joined the Yosef Club.

Sure, I'll call a spade a spade. It is what it is. The university and athletic staff realize that they have a product which is in demand. They are getting what they can out of it. But to say that they are "forgetting the common fan" is rediculous. If the "common fan" doesn't want to do anything other than buy a ticket and yell, and post on a message board, then I am glad to be an "uncommon fan".

Peems
March 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Same thing happens everywhere. In Missoula it used to be free in tons of places. My dad and I would park near the ROTC building for every game and never paid. Two or three years ago it became five bucks a game. Now I know that it is not bad but it just shows it's everywhere. UM is different than a lot because we have our "parking" lots full all the time and they are very expensive and there is pretty much a waiting list to get in. Most people walk or take the bus nowadays. But pretty much everywhere in Missoula charges for gameday parking

AppStsGr8
March 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
It's basic economics. There's high demand for parking spaces; therefore, the price goes up. I've had a spot in the stadium lot the past few seasons. It's well worth the extra support of the university. App football is still a bargain!

appsfan
March 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised that linking ticket location to Yosef Club membership hasn't been done earlier. While I'd prefer the lower YC dollar levels, I was expecting an increase this year. Like it was said earlier, it is basic supply and demand. The demand is there for parking/tailgating/gameday atmosphere while there aren't a lot of spots. The price has to go up. If it has to, what better beneficiary than our student-athletes? This is "a" (and I am NOT complaining) price of success, just like a crowded stadium, etc. I think this is a "problem" many schools would like to deal with.

proasu89
March 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Yosef levels for 2008.

http://www.goasu.com/page/7/

ButlerGSU
March 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I agree care must be taken here. However, the diehard fans (like me) will be there regardless of the team's success. There was a recent thread on this topic regarding the "fair-weather" fans. The ASU admin. is right to charge what it can get for the privilege of parking, tickets, etc. now. Then, they will be all the more able to make future game days even better. They may very well have to lower the prices in an "off" year. Actually, they would be lowering the prices after the "off" year.

It's a good way to raise money. Parking around Paulson use to be $10 per car but a few years ago they closed it down to Southern Booster members only.

Next season each individual spot will be numbered and sold to Southern Booster members on top of their donation.

It's a fact of college athletics and necessary to support the programs.

proasu89
March 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It's a good way to raise money. Parking around Paulson use to be $10 per car but a few years ago they closed it down to Southern Booster members only.

Next season each individual spot will be numbered and sold to Southern Booster members on top of their donation.

It's a fact of college athletics and necessary to support the programs.

Indeed, some even call it growing pains. We've been spoiled and I am glad that tickets and other things that we've taken for granted are a little harder to come by these days. xthumbsupx

muletrain
March 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM
We all remember the saying, "Make hay while the sun shines". It is about supply and demand. The $ of gas will probably cost more than the Yosef increase. Still a bargin for the best tailgating experience in perhaps the south!! Another old saying............You get what you pay for!

ursus arctos horribilis
March 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Appaholic this is some of the reasoning behind what we Griz folk have been telling you to expect in the near future due to the success. Soon to come will be a larger donations to the Yosef club to be able to get tickets that have been available to non Yosef members, then the ticket price will go up annually even if you have less home games in one year the price will still go up the next year anyway. you will have plenty of home games although they may not all be great match ups due to the fact that a clunker can be thrown in there that will cost less but still generate great revenues. You'll know that things are really getting good for your program if you decide that you will be fine in seats that do not require the Yosef club membership and then you start to get a letter each year that shows only the expense side of the books and not the revenue side that tells you that if you are a good fan you should upgrade to the seats that are in the Yosef's different tiers of sponsorship. Your commitment and loyalty after all is tied to how much you donate to the club even though you may be one of the few that were going to games when there were only 6 to 7k at the games. They will tell you that the money is needed to keep the program at the level that you are enjoying now while never offering a reasonable explanation as to how the program could have achieved these results without these major cost increases to the fans to get it to the level of popularity that it is at now. The program was built up on the backs of the fans that have been there before this run, but now that there are many new fans to take your place you should get used to frequent cost increases for EVERYTHING.

CopperCat
March 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have to think that the administration is targeting a certain kind of fan here by them raising prices for everything: the old, rich alumni who has deeper pockets than the students. I have no problem giving up a closer parking spot to an alumni who donates large amounts of money to the school. I'm young and able-bodied, so I'll park further away and walk to the game. It's worth it. But I digress. This targeting of older fans with money is smart, and it makes financial sense for the school. People are inherently resistant to change, but in the long run it will help you.

Appattk
March 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Veg is that you? Guess we can rehash the MMB decision here too.

This is supply and demand. The demand for premium parking is there. The demand for season tickets is there. $250 still get's you a parking space in the parking deck which is about the same walking distance as Raley.

Season Tickets.

There are still 6 sections or the stadium in which individuals can purchase season tickets without a donation to the help our student athletes through the Yosef Club. A $250 donation will get you rights to 4 season tickets in all but 4 of the remaining sections. You don't even want to know how much Montana charges (and per seat). This is a program that is 5+ years due compared to programs like Montana, GSU, etc.

ASU hasn't had a down season (losing season) since the early 90's. The difference between then and now isn't just winning either it's the leadership that our chancellor and AD bring to the table.

I give because I want the best for ASU not the perks I receive in return. This is a good thing for ASU athletics.xnodx

Saint, it's not Veg.

bench
March 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM

An increase in price is understandable, and no one would blame them for an incremental mark-up, but quadrupling the going rate for season tickets and parking? That's not reasonable. That's a money-grab, and it smacks of hubris. They're basically saying the demand is there, and they're going to exploit it regardless of how it looks. If they're going to stick it to me, couldn't they at least break me in a little bit? You know, start with one finger and work their way up from there?

You're trying to be a Good Soldier, loyal to the cause and all that, but that whole "love it or leave it" ***** is a dangerous attitude for any organization to take, and for its members to buy into. I refuse to feel guilty for having second thoughts when I'm asked to pay $650 for something I got last year for $150, and I refuse to rubber-stamp a decision that prices out fans who aren't quite as well-to-do as others.

ASU
March 9th, 2008, 01:10 AM
"Appalachian Money Whores" you say......I recall finding those mainly on King Street.

BeauFoster
March 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
An increase in price is understandable, and no one would blame them for an incremental mark-up, but quadrupling the going rate for season tickets and parking? That's not reasonable. That's a money-grab, and it smacks of hubris. They're basically saying the demand is there, and they're going to exploit it regardless of how it looks. If they're going to stick it to me, couldn't they at least break me in a little bit? You know, start with one finger and work their way up from there?

You're trying to be a Good Soldier, loyal to the cause and all that, but that whole "love it or leave it" ***** is a dangerous attitude for any organization to take, and for its members to buy into. I refuse to feel guilty for having second thoughts when I'm asked to pay $650 for something I got last year for $150, and I refuse to rubber-stamp a decision that prices out fans who aren't quite as well-to-do as others.

Requiring YC membership for the rights to buy certain season tickets is something that should have been done years ago, IMO. Yeah, $500 is a little high for those who haven't been members before, but I guess it is a chance that the administration was willing to take. Of course, there were other options out there, and there are down/upsides to each of them. Most pro stadiums charge more for the "better" seats, so that was an option. Of course, by doing that we would lose the tax benefits. I would much rather pay $650 for tickets and then get $500 back at the end of the year than pay $300 for tickets ($50 a game - just an arbitrary figure) and get none of it back come April 15. A PSL would have been an option, one that would have funded the stadium construction, but again you lose the tax benefit and then you get into the questions of whether or not you count the PSL cost as a donation to the Facilities Enhancement Program - thus building points.

I know that this system is going to be a sticking point for a lot of people, and I don't expect to change many people's minds with my arguement. However, I personally don't have a problem with the tickets-tied-to-donation. It is another way to provide a benefit to YC members. ASU has used parking for years to entice membership. Since that is a limited resourse, the administration is simply moving on down the chain to the next in-demand product. I would like to see how many non YC members had season tickets in the affected sections last season. That would tell me a lot about the decision.

The Moody1
March 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Make hay while the sun shines. The administration owes it to everyone involved to get as much revenue as possible based on current demand. If people don't pay, prices will decrease. How does raising parking rates betray the common fan? All you have to do is park in a different lot. Just remember, you got to park for free for almost 20 years in a great spot. It will take a lot more than a down year to derail this train.

Death Dealer
March 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM
That's still cheap. Of course there are still some great free spots at FU, but tickets and the better parking are tied to donations at levels higher than you are talking. My spots costs me 1500 clams per year, but I can spit a watermelon seed and hit the lady collecting tickets, so I think it's a bargain. I'm surprised to hear that things are still so affordable up there in Boone efter three consecutive NC's. I figured they'd start cashing in on that first trophy before it even got dusty.

Saint3333
March 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Your math is incorrect. It's not quadrupling as the $500 and $250 donations are for your seat allotment (i.e. family of 4) not per seat. For a family (or set of friends) of 4 that paid $600 for four tickets last year will pay $660 for the tickets and an additional $250 donation for the Yosef Club (which is tax deductible). That's a total of $910 for four seats or a 50% increase over last year, not a 400% increase.

There are already enough $500 Yosef donors to fill those sections of the stadium, it's past due that ASU provided the better seats to their donors just like Montana and GSU have for the past 5 years.

If people can't join the Yosef Club at the $250 level ($21 a month) there are 6 sections they can still purchase season tickets.

Remember a group of 4 friends who had season tickets could go in on a Yosef membership of $250 to gain access to these seats, that's $62 a person.

Tribe4SF
March 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
These rates are comparable to W&M. Most expensive lot requires a $2500 donation to the Tribe Club. Season tickets have been prioritized by giving level for decades.

ASUMountaineer
March 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Your math is incorrect. It's not quadrupling as the $500 and $250 donations are for your seat allotment (i.e. family of 4) not per seat. For a family (or set of friends) of 4 that paid $600 for four tickets last year will pay $660 for the tickets and an additional $250 donation for the Yosef Club (which is tax deductible). That's a total of $910 for four seats or a 50% increase over last year, not a 400% increase.

There are already enough $500 Yosef donors to fill those sections of the stadium, it's past due that ASU provided the better seats to their donors just like Montana and GSU have for the past 5 years.

If people can't join the Yosef Club at the $250 level ($21 a month) there are 6 sections they can still purchase season tickets.

Remember a group of 4 friends who had season tickets could go in on a Yosef membership of $250 to gain access to these seats, that's $62 a person.

Can you clarify something for me? The past two years I've had season tickets in 5A (a total of 7 seats all together) and last year was a member of the YC. Are you saying that this year, I would have to donate $500 in order to qualify to get the same seats I have had? In other words, I cannot renew all of my seats during the "renewal period"? That doesn't seem right, but what do I know, I'm not Gerald Adams.

JoltinJoe
March 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Capitalism uses success as a tool to beat the common man black and blue... xlolx)

The first time Communism has a success, it will do the same.xwhistlex

Saint3333
March 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Can you clarify something for me? The past two years I've had season tickets in 5A (a total of 7 seats all together) and last year was a member of the YC. Are you saying that this year, I would have to donate $500 in order to qualify to get the same seats I have had? In other words, I cannot renew all of my seats during the "renewal period"? That doesn't seem right, but what do I know, I'm not Gerald Adams.

I'm not sure what the max number of tickets you can renew for the $250 donation required for section 5A. I would call someone in the Yosef office to clarify.

It wouldn't be fair if three groups of four went it and only gave $250 to sit in section 5A, while a family of 4 also gave $250, that would be a nice loop hole thoughxsmiley_wix. I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but a maximum number of tickets for a donation does seem appropriate.

Appattk
March 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM

It's funny how two almost similar arguments have been posted here and on the MMB... While I was the one to enter the Yosef Club lions den on the MMB, it's hard to find people who feel the same way on sports boards. So, believe it or not, I feel your pain.

I have come to a conclusion, however, that there is nothing any of us can do about this. The Club has a vise-like grip on sports at ASU, and with control over parking and tickets it was only a matter of time before the "long arm of the law" started doing the money grab. I guess it's a supply and demand thing... At this point, while we're winning and posting incredible attendance records they know they can charge whatever they want.... Hence the Raley lot parking going from $250 to $1000 in one year and tickets going from and Club donation of $0 to $500 a year in some parts of the stadium.

Think of this... They could care less whether you've had season tickets for a lifetime... They know they can try to wrestle a donation out of 50%+ of the stadium! If you don't buy season tickets... THEY DON'T CARE. They know that single-game tickets will sell in your seats regardless.

Just like I mentioned last year about the Club taking over Raley... It's a strong-arm tactic that this group seems to enjoy using.

Unfortunately it's something none of us can do anything about...

At least nothing until ASU starts losing again and the stadium population dwindles while the Wal-Mart fans stop driving up the mountain......

Heck, think of it this way... You think they could charge a Yosef Club donation fee to season tickets to ASU Baskeball games???

bench
March 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'm single. I didn't see anything in the letter that said the $500 would be prorated for less than four seats. I bought my ticket individually last year. To keep my seat in section 10, if I don't work the system and go in with someone else I would have to pay $500 to Yosef plus what a season ticket costs. Quadruple.

Maybe I didn't read the letter as closely as I should have, but I didn't see anything encouraging me as a single ticket holder to defray the cost by going in with three others. Paying $125 apiece is more in line with reality, and it's a much better jumping-off point, especially considering what they might come up with for next season.

ERASU2113
March 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Give me a fokkin break....last year was the first year Raley was a pay lot....or my group (and plenty of others) have been breaking rules for the past 8+ years parking there.

Dunno if has been posted but last year was the first from Raley/Duncan. Raley use to be first come - first serve. I knew a lot of students, myself included, who would get up early to park in Raley and tailgate prior to the game.

Last year caused an uproar on campus because they were taking away the place where a lot of students tailgated......atleast most of the spots to give to Yosef Club members. It became a lottery system to see who would park there week by week. After the initial announcement happened, everything died down.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
There is one other disadvantage that can occur when they start making all the prime seats available to only the donors that want to pony up the cash for the prime seats. The crowd can become very dull and the atmosphere will die down in these sections if they don't make sure that there are some prime sections for the students. Montana made this disastrous move in basketball after the Griz had some good years in the early 90's with BBall. Over the next few years BBall just pretty much died a slow death as the crowds dropped to about 1/2 of what they had been. The atmosphere and gameday experience will take a big hit if the students aren't included in the mix while the money grab is going on. Your ticket prices and the different levels of Yosef club memberships will continue to increase from here on out even if you aren't at the level you are at right now unless your fan base has a major reduction in attendance and the stands start to have a lot of empty seats.

SeattleGriz
March 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
There is one other disadvantage that can occur when they start making all the prime seats available to only the donors that want to pony up the cash for the prime seats. The crowd can become very dull and the atmosphere will die down in these sections if they don't make sure that there are some prime sections for the students. Montana made this disastrous move in basketball after the Griz had some good years in the early 90's with BBall. Over the next few years BBall just pretty much died a slow death as the crowds dropped to about 1/2 of what they had been. The atmosphere and gameday experience will take a big hit if the students aren't included in the mix while the money grab is going on. Your ticket prices and the different levels of Yosef club memberships will continue to increase from here on out even if you aren't at the level you are at right now unless your fan base has a major reduction in attendance and the stands start to have a lot of empty seats.

xnodx xnodx xnodx

Thank goodness they did that right after I graduated from The U of M.

catamount man
March 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hell, I have to pay $1100.00 to have my parking spot right outside the stadium and that's rooting for a team that went 3-19 in the last 2 seasons. Ya don't see me complaining and if WCU ever gets to the level ASU is, I can GUARANTEE we will have to shell out more, but it would be worth it in my opinion.

I would rather shell out more for the team I love than to see losing football bring the program to the death knell any day of the week.

Good luck in Boone. GO CATAMOUNTS!!! xthumbsupx

bobbythekidd
March 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hell, I have to pay $1100.00 to have my parking spot right outside the stadium and that's rooting for a team that went 3-19 in the last 2 seasons. Ya don't see me complaining and if WCU ever gets to the level ASU is, I can GUARANTEE we will have to shell out more, but it would be worth it in my opinion.

I would rather shell out more for the team I love than to see losing football bring the program to the death knell any day of the week.

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

Appattk
March 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I think ASU Football is still okay here... They have the student crowds in the bottom levels providing the "noise", while the upper sections have always been a bit dull... It's always been the "older" generations that have had season tickets towards the middle anyways, now they're just stickin' a $$$ IV in them too.

But like I've said earlier... nuttin' you can do but pay up or sit in a corner...

SoCon48
March 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM

This part is not true: First off, season tickets have been required to get a parking pass as a Yosef Club member for at least five years

I had space 172 in the Stadium lot in 2005 with no season ticket purchase. I was at all home games including the play-offs but did not purchase season tickets.

Appattk
March 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
This part is not true: First off, season tickets have been required to get a parking pass as a Yosef Club member for at least five years

I had space 172 in the Stadium lot in 2005 with no season ticket purchase. I was at all home games including the play-offs but did not purchase season tickets.

That might be the way to go.. I think a lot of people are going to be scared away from the center of the field ($500 zone) that there's going to be a lot of spaces to purchase single-game tickets in PRIMO spots.

If you're not into getting the same seats game after game I think this new system is really going to help people that don't come to every game!

ASUMountaineer
March 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM

That's great, but for people like myself we can't pony up more and more cash. I'm a recent alumni with a wife, mortgage (not sure which costs more;) ), two cars, etc. I have not exactly reached my maximum earning potential at 26 to donate thousands of dollars to tailgate and watch football. Especially now that my company has stopped matching donations. Guess it's back to Walker lot instead of Justice for me.

Saint3333
March 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
That might be the way to go.. I think a lot of people are going to be scared away from the center of the field ($500 zone) that there's going to be a lot of spaces to purchase single-game tickets in PRIMO spots.

If you're not into getting the same seats game after game I think this new system is really going to help people that don't come to every game!

Nope. Do you also post on the MMB?xsmiley_wix

These $500 Yosef donors already sit in sections 3A and 4A and come to more games than anyone. They've been all over the country following ASU football. The demand is there.

Saint3333
March 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
That's great, but for people like myself we can't pony up more and more cash. I'm a recent alumni with a wife, mortgage (not sure which costs more;) ), two cars, etc. I have not exactly reached my maximum earning potential at 26 to donate thousands of dollars to tailgate and watch football. Especially now that my company has stopped matching donations. Guess it's back to Walker lot instead of Justice for me.

Sounds like you may be eligible for the young alum program, which will match your donation 100%. PM is you need more info.

Appattk
March 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Nope. Do you also post on the MMB?xsmiley_wix

These $500 Yosef donors already sit in sections 3A and 4A and come to more games than anyone. They've been all over the country following ASU football. The demand is there.

Just because you donate more than $500, doesn't mean it's everyone. Pardon my skepticism from someone who openly touts the "company line"

catamount man
March 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM

I can respect that, but I am also not drawing a king's salary either. I am glad the CC lets us string our payments out over the entire fiscal year from July 1 to the next June 30. When July 1 rolls around, then they send out renewal forms. It's not like I'm giving it all at one time, although one day I hope to be.

Gotta pay off a few debts myself. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 9th, 2008, 11:09 PM
another way to look at this, is that for the first time in App history, we have a program that is in such high demand. that we can actually make a significent amount of money to help the program. I remember, not in the distant past, that we were begging fans to attend the games. Now, for the first time, people are planning their fall weekends around attending home games. The ASU athletic dept has done a great job in making football weekends an all day event instead of people just attending the game. The goal here is to create such an loyal and strong fan base, that they will continue to attend games even when we do not have a great team. The extra money will continue to help the game day enviroment, (future improvents to the stadium etc) that will keep people coming to the games. As long as the University handles the raising of prices in an intelligent way. I see raising prices as a positive step in the future growth of the program.

Appattk
March 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
As long as the University handles the raising of prices in an intelligent way.

That is exactly where I believe ASU has made a mis-step. Parking in Raley Lot has jumped from $0 in 2006 to $250 in 2007 to $1000 in 2008. That a BIG jump for anyone. Then some people in the stadium will be now charged $500 extra for tickets... That's a big jump.

I can understand the charges, it's a supply/demand thing... But it seems to me that the University is going a bit too fast when it comes to eeking out $$$ from the masses

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'll keep parking next to the Courthouse (for free), and walking over.

SideLine Shooter
March 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I sure hope these complainers are not the people saying ASU should go DIV. IA. If you are you better realize that to play with the BIG BOYS you will have to come up with a LOT more money that you are talking about.

ASU never needs to go up to DIV. IA with comments like this. You would be playing for a third rate Bowl Game at best. ASU is great in IAA and should stay there for more reasons thn I can count.

Ask Marshall if they are happy in IA. Let GSU and the rest of the folks that are too big for IAA go and break the bank. ASU has found its niche and I like it there just fine.

AS the old saying goes "If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the fiddler." I have been paying the Carolina Panther fiddler since day 1 and ain't been dancing lately. Jerry is a Wofford guy so I'm sure he will just keep raising the prices anyway....

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I sure hope these complainers are not the people saying ASU should go DIV. IA. If you are you better realize that to play with the BIG BOYS you will have to come up with a LOT more money that you are talking about.

ASU never needs to go up to DIV. IA with comments like this. You would be playing for a third rate Bowl Game at best. ASU is great in IAA and should stay there for more reasons thn I can count.

Ask Marshall if they are happy in IA. Let GSU and the rest of the folks that are too big for IAA go and break the bank. ASU has found its niche and I like it there just fine.

AS the old saying goes "If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the fiddler." I have been paying the Carolina Panther fiddler since day 1 and ain't been dancing lately. Jerry is a Wofford guy so I'm sure he will just keep raising the prices anyway....

Agreed. There's no need to move up to 1-A. Of course I've got no say in the matter because I don't shell out a lot of money now.

SideLine Shooter
March 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM
You are a WISE man!

SideLine Shooter
March 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM

You are a wise man..

Saint3333
March 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Just because you donate more than $500, doesn't mean it's everyone. Pardon my skepticism from someone who openly touts the "company line"

Do you have any idea how many Yosef members there are at each level? I believe the people that are making these changes have seen the increases in giving levels and have a good fill for the 2008 projections. By 6/30/08 there will be enough $1,000 and above donors to fill up all the parking spaces in Stadium, Justice, Duncan, and Raley. The demand is there.

All seats will be full. We were at 160% capacity last year, obviously the demand is there.

See you in September.

andy7171
March 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Am I missing something? Who in their right mind pays $1000 for parking for what 6-7 games? I mean the Redskins whore you out for only $50 for the best parking for 10 games, thats HALF!

The Moody1
March 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Ask Marshall if they are happy in IA.

If Marshall was not pleased with their current situation they could move back to FCS. I haven't heard of any mass grumblings from their fans to move back down. If you have some information, please share.

Saint3333
March 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Am I missing something? Who in their right mind pays $1000 for parking for what 6-7 games? I mean the Redskins whore you out for only $50 for the best parking for 10 games, thats HALF!

It's a tax deductible charitible contribution to the student athlete scholarship fund and the perks at the $1,000 level include parking (football and basketball), better season tickets, and entrance to the Yosef Club (food and drinks before each game).

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Not only that, but you get to tailgate for the highly anticipated Jacksonville and Presbyterian game......My original rant did not revolve around season ticket prices.......never buy season tickets as I have another pasttime I enjoy in the fall (backpacking) and do not want to obligate all my weekends.....I'm merely bitching about the price to park in Raley lot, which has increased 1500% for me and my group in the past two years.....we were always able to get in the lot because we leave town at 5:30am to tailgate and lot was first come, first serve....now it's highest bidder and come when you can, we'll hold your spot open for you.....which is the reason I am calling them Appalachian Money Whores.....if they don't mind alienating fans like us, that's fine....it was nice when our fans held the moral high ground over our "big" brothers in the ACC....when, regardless of social status, the well-to-do App alumni from Charlotte could tailgate and cheer beside the not quite as well-to-do tree farmer from Newland who couldn't afford to go to App, but cheered them on nonetheless......but now game day will be just like every other day......maybe the skybox crowd will allow us to empty their trash cans if we become an apologist for the adminstration......xcoffeex

Appattk
March 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Not only that, but you get to tailgate for the highly anticipated Jacksonville and Presbyterian game......My original rant did not revolve around season ticket prices.......never buy season tickets as I have another pasttime I enjoy in the fall (backpacking) and do not want to obligate all my weekends.....I'm merely bitching about the price to park in Raley lot, which has increased 1500% for me and my group in the past two years.....we were always able to get in the lot because we leave town at 5:30am to tailgate and lot was first come, first serve....now it's highest bidder and come when you can, we'll hold your spot open for you.....which is the reason I am calling them Appalachian Money Whores.....if they don't mind alienating fans like us, that's fine....it was nice when our fans held the moral high ground over our "big" brothers in the ACC....when, regardless of social status, the well-to-do App alumni from Charlotte could tailgate and cheer beside the not quite as well-to-do tree farmer from Newland who couldn't afford to go to App, but cheered them on nonetheless......but now game day will be just like every other day......maybe the skybox crowd will allow us to empty their trash cans if we become an apologist for the adminstration......xcoffeex

HERE! HERE! GREAT POST!

mtnman
March 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
as soon as asu has a down year or two they will be sorry they made that move,we will go back to having 15000-18000 at the games.and they will be begging for the comman fan to come back.i work at parking and traffic and some of the changes are just crazy.

mountain_man
March 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Good post, but there are a lot of those Charlotte folks that would like to have a little of that tree farmer $$$. Other than that, very good point, and I'll agree with you 100%..

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
It's a tax deductible charitible contribution to the student athlete scholarship fund and the perks at the $1,000 level include parking (football and basketball), better season tickets, and entrance to the Yosef Club (food and drinks before each game).

True. If one looks at it as paying for a parking space, could he then ethically take it off on his taxes? Methinks not. xreadx

It appears we have some cheapskates among us who want the school to pay for everything. Maybe we should change our name to Welfare State University.

The Moody1
March 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM

I fail to see why you are making such a big deal about having to move to another lot. Since you are an avid hiker, I don't think having to walk a little further should be a big deal.

AppStFan76
March 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
It sound to me like someone has in mind filling an application for a move to 1-A or FBS. If thats the case I think its a bad idea.

andy7171
March 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Gotcha. Makes more sense now.

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM
True. If one looks at it as paying for a parking space, could he then ethically take it off on his taxes? Methinks not. xreadx

It appears we have some cheapskates among us who want the school to pay for everything. Maybe we should change our name to Welfare State University.

xconfusedx Clarify please.

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I fail to see why you are making such a big deal about having to move to another lot. Since you are an avid hiker, I don't think having to walk a little further should be a big deal.

Not making a big deal.....just calling them out as money whores.....why is everyone getting so sensitive.....it is what it is.....ad what other lot am I moving to.....the parking decks were $5-$10 pay lots last year (had to park there for WCU game), now, if read correctly, they are parking for $250 donors....so we'll go to Greenwood.....if that is still available.....had a good time there last year......just commenting on rate of inflation to be cnsidered a true fan......BTW....if this money is to benefit the students, then why are their cars towed from stadium if they aren't moved by game day.....xwhistlex

Rekdiver
March 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well, well, well.....I never thought that I would listed to this mess on this board. How would you suggest we raise money to expand facilities, pay coaches, continue to provide scholarships? Do you think that the few (percentage wise)that have donated fair amounts of money should give more while you park free? This is the benefit of having a top rated program. What Charlie Cobb has done is to bring us out of the dark ages and move us forward is phenominal. Ticket prices are cheap and accessibility to the facilities even with a walk from King Street is nothing. Progress costs money. Pay up and shut up and quit embarrassing us.

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Let's clarify....the school hasn't paid for *****....the NC taxpayers and former students have paid for the enhancements.....as an alumni, that comment is offensive.....and when bandwogon fans who never went to school there can garner more access due to disposable income, then I'm disappointed....thought App was different.....I was naive.....now I'm over it....I'll still go to some games, probably go to championship if possible, still where my App gear.....but I will no longer tout how App is different from any other state school with a successful athletic run......THAT would be naive.....xcoffeex

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
What's to clarify? If you feel your donation is really payment for getting to park in the Raley lot, then you're getting something of tangible value in return for your donation. At that point, according to tax code, it's no longer a donation eligible to be taken off on your taxes. The way I see it, it's either a tax-deductible donation to a non-profit organization or paying rent for a piece of real estate. Your choice.

As for the cheapskate comment and the possible need to change our name to Welfare State. I think that one is self-explanatory.

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
What's to clarify? If you feel your donation is really payment for getting to park in the Raley lot, then you're getting something of tangible value in return for your donation. At that point, according to tax code, it's no longer a donation eligible to be taken off on your taxes. The way I see it, it's either a tax-deductible donation to a non-profit organization or paying rent for a piece of real estate. Your choice.

As for the cheapskate comment and the possible need to change our name to Welfare State. I think that one is self-explanatory.

It's not.

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Well, well, well.....I never thought that I would listed to this mess on this board. How would you suggest we raise money to expand facilities, pay coaches, continue to provide scholarships? Do you think that the few (percentage wise)that have donated fair amounts of money should give more while you park free? This is the benefit of having a top rated program. What Charlie Cobb has done is to bring us out of the dark ages and move us forward is phenominal. Ticket prices are cheap and accessibility to the facilities even with a walk from King Street is nothing. Progress costs money. Pay up and shut up and quit embarrassing us.

Quit embarrassing yourself......I'm making an observation and a comment on a policy I don't agree with....I don't mind paying to park....it is expected, but $1500% increase over two year's is excessive....."pay up or shut up"....straight out of the Admin's policy book.....if you don't like my comments, place me on ignore and/or fok off, but don't tell me to shut up and pay up.....xsmiley_wix

Rekdiver
March 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
You're close enough to WCU....I bet you can park there for free... and be a part of that wonderful program xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Let's clarify....the school hasn't paid for *****....the NC taxpayers and former students have paid for the enhancements.....as an alumni, that comment is offensive.....and when bandwogon fans who never went to school there can garner more access due to disposable income, then I'm disappointed....thought App was different.....I was naive.....now I'm over it....I'll still go to some games, probably go to championship if possible, still where my App gear.....but I will no longer tout how App is different from any other state school with a successful athletic run......THAT would be naive.....xcoffeex

You're just trying to get something for nothing. That's offensive. Not to me. I'm just another pawn in this game who's probably in the same boat as you are as far as being moved from place to place, but it's offensive to the student athlete. You know, those guys who have sacrificed and have provided you with 45 weeks of entertainment in football, not to mention the other 150 +/- student-athletes who don't garner the attention.

Rekdiver
March 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Besides Appaholic, you ought to know when a Georgia Southern fan agrees with you, you must be in a minority....or he really likes your picture...

xarguex

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
You're just trying to get something for nothing. That's offensive. Not to me. I'm just another pawn in this game who's probably in the same boat as you are as far as being moved from place to place, but it's offensive to the student athlete. You know, those guys who have sacrificed and have provided you with 45 weeks of entertainment in football, not to mention the other 150 +/- student-athletes who don't garner the attention.

You're wrong....I don't mind paying a reasonable amount on the games I go to.....and I was moved last year.....so it's not about me....I'm bitching about the rate of inflation....you know, the same thing I imagine you bitch about when you fill your gas tank up......

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:42 AM
You're close enough to WCU....I bet you can park there for free... and be a part of that wonderful program xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Not accordingto Catamount Man ($1100)....now THAT is offensive....xpeacex

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Besides Appaholic, you ought to know when a Georgia Southern fan agrees with you, you must be in a minority....or he really likes your picture...

xarguex

Yeah.....good point.....something's fishy here....xeyebrowx

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM

It's not.

Let's just say that eventually you'll get the athletics program you fund. If you fund it well, or better, you'll get a top-notch program. If you let the government-backed school do it, you'll get something that's middle of the pack at best.

Rekdiver
March 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Moving on...........xpeacex

mountain_man
March 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I agree with holic that it will leave some of the less fortunate wondering if they can afford to go see the Apps play. I can afford it for now, but it still isn't fun going from free to $250/$500 to keep your seat, and from $250 up to $1,000 for parking. I would love to give, and I planned on giving this year, but I sure wasn't expecting $500 or $1,000. I will do it, and with a willing heart, as I love my Alum, love to see them succede, and want to be a part of it, but what does the future hold? Will the common person be able to enjoy this experience a few years down the road, or will the only way to purchase tix be through a scalper on River Street?

That said, look at Tennessee. For a $1000 donation (or $1,500, it may have changed) to the VASF you MAY get crappy tickets in the corner nose bleeds, or behind an iron post under the press boxes. The key word is MAY. You could give the VASF the $$ and still not get the tix, although they may give the $$ back, not sure. We are getting a much better deal, but you have to wonder if this is where we are going.

I don't want to be UT. But I also understand that to be successful you have to have the $$. If we want the best facilities, we have to have $$. Is there any way to grow without leaving some of your fans behind?

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
You're wrong....I don't mind paying a reasonable amount on the games I go to.....and I was moved last year.....so it's not about me....I'm bitching about the rate of inflation....you know, the same thing I imagine you bitch about when you fill your gas tank up......

I understand. I think we're just feeling the effects of 30 years of doing nothing at the administrative level, and getting to where we probably should be, as far as funding goes, is requiring several large jumps over a short period of time. It's uncomfortable, and the growing pains are hurting, but when the building goes up behind the Westside stands, the Eastside deck rises, I see Dr. Peacock's three adopted children, I hear BLOOOOOCKED!!!!!! YARD SALE AT THE BIG HOUSE!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! repeated on national television, I remind myself that it's going to a very worthy cause.

Appaholic
March 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Fair enough Folks....thanks for allowing me to vent and I appreciate the counter arguments Now, let's go beat the he!l out of the rest of the FCS!xpeacex

xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm still going to park next to the courthouse for free. xsmiley_wix xpeacex

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Will the common person be able to enjoy this experience a few years down the road, or will the only way to purchase tix be through a scalper on River Street?

I don't want to be UT. But I also understand that to be successful you have to have the $$. If we want the best facilities, we have to have $$. Is there any way to grow without leaving some of your fans behind?

I don't think we'll be leaving fans behind. I'm guessing many to most of the people who are in the prime seats give at some level already. We're not trying to be in line with UT, or any school on that level. The casual fans will be able to get a ticket in a pretty good spot, and they'll be able to park somewhere within walking/shuttle distance. Nobody said that being this popular was going to be easy. ;)

WUTNDITWAA
March 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Fair enough Folks....thanks for allowing me to vent and I appreciate the counter arguments Now, let's go beat the he!l out of the rest of the FCS!xpeacex

xthumbsupx

I'm 100 percent in agreement. xcoolx But don't forget about LSU. Let's go down and make Les Miles wish he'd taken that Michigan job.xnodx

Biff
March 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Not to get too involved with an App discussion, but below are the membership levels The Citadel has for its sporting events. This includes all sports, but the dollar amount is really dictated by parking. Last time I looked, we charged the highest rates in the SoCon, but I could have been wrong. Our parking areas are relatively close to the stadium, but $12k will get your bumper touching the stadium wall. $1500 will get your bumper in a gravel parking spot about 200 feet away from the stadium. I think the 250 and 500 parking puts you either in the gravel lot next to the Police Department or in the grass field next to the High School stadium located across the street from the stadium.

Brigadier Club - $100 Donation for basic member benefits

Century Club - $250 Donation for Priority Parking (Football)

Bulldog Club - $500 Donation for Priority Parking (Football)

President’s Club - $750 Donation for Priority Parking (Football)

Colonel’s Club - $1,500 Donation for Reserved (Named) Parking Space

General’s Club - $3,000 Donation for Reserved (Named) Parking Space

Chairman’s Club - $6,000 Donation for Reserved (Named) Parking Space

Executive’s Club - $12,000 Donation for Reserved (Named) Parking Space

How does this compare to App's?

asu7
March 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Sounds like you may be eligible for the young alum program, which will match your donation 100%. PM is you need more info.

I graduated in 2006 ... last year I gave the school 1,000 got bumped up to the next level as that was the rules... as of last year they were doing the bumping for 3 years after you graduate ...

KUDOS to the University for changing it to 5 years and giving young alums half off ... so now I will get half off YC levels until the year 2011 :)

For all of us young alums out there ... give 500 bucks and you can get a numbered lot in RALEY and get primo seats :)

Tailbone
March 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
For those App fans who worry (or hope) that a down year will restore past policy......forget it. There will be no down years.

App is going to begin experiencing the same fate as Griz fans. Artificially inflated success (and subsequent loss of respect) by weak out of conference schedules. Why pay for top competition, or home & homes, at higher payouts when the fans will pay for gaudy season records against second tier (cheaper) competition - at home (where the admin reaps the "big bucks")?

For all those who have criticized Montana for it's business model (myself included, at least as a fan), observe. It is the price of success.

Saint3333
March 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Maybe in the future, but not yet Tailbone. While the home OOC is WEAK, LSU and JMU on the road in 2009 will likely put ASU's SOS in the top 25.

eaglesrthe1
March 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe in the future, but not yet Tailbone. While the home OOC is WEAK, LSU and JMU on the road in 2009 will likely put ASU's SOS in the top 25.

Not to mention the SoCon schedule. Montana garners more criticism because their conference is also perceived by many to be weak and are dodging bullets on both ends of their schedule.

Touchdown Yosef
March 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I agree with holic that it will leave some of the less fortunate wondering if they can afford to go see the Apps play. I can afford it for now, but it still isn't fun going from free to $250/$500 to keep your seat, and from $250 up to $1,000 for parking. I would love to give, and I planned on giving this year, but I sure wasn't expecting $500 or $1,000. I will do it, and with a willing heart, as I love my Alum, love to see them succede, and want to be a part of it, but what does the future hold? Will the common person be able to enjoy this experience a few years down the road, or will the only way to purchase tix be through a scalper on River Street?

That said, look at Tennessee. For a $1000 donation (or $1,500, it may have changed) to the VASF you MAY get crappy tickets in the corner nose bleeds, or behind an iron post under the press boxes. The key word is MAY. You could give the VASF the $$ and still not get the tix, although they may give the $$ back, not sure. We are getting a much better deal, but you have to wonder if this is where we are going.

I am right there with you; I don't want to see us alienate our fan base but would like to increase revenue and attendance each year. To do this keep the people that want to pay for the best seats and privileges and have them pay for them and continue to sell the grass seats for a smaller ticket price. I would like to see us grow and bring in new members to the yosef club every year but I would also like to see the stadium increase in capacity so that we don't run into situations like UT.

That being said I don't think we have to worry about that, we may break the 30k mark this year but we may not and our average attendance could be down from last year, who knows. Our tickets are still less than 30 dollars which is great and I hope they stay there so that I can still afford to make the drive each weekend with oil at over $110 a barrel.

No one wants to turn away loyal fans b/c they cannot pony up 2k for tickets but they are going to try and get their money. Remember we are funding some 80million in renovations (with help from the state of NC) and we still want more. I know I want to see the track removed some day and the crown taken off the field and a newer and bigger field house put in. Then maybe more boxes on under the new overhand when the time comes and maybe someday bowling it all in when the consistent demand is there. I want our athletes to have the benefit of the best facilities that money can buy and I know that you all do as well and unfortunately that comes with a trade off.

I am a firm believer in that our fan base needs to grow with people who didn't necessarily go to school at Appalachian (or have the opportunity to go to college at all). I think our administration understands this because there is money in it and they know they can't draw on a metropolitan area like Raleigh or Knoxville to fill up the stands. We all knew deep down it was coming lets just do our part to make sure that we don't leave any fans behind.

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 06:29 AM
....nice to see the Appalachian Money Whores have betrayed the "common" fan by raising the stakes to park in Raley.....as well as other lots. We've been parking at Raley for almost two decades for free. Last year, one of our group grudgingly paid the $250 required to receive a parking pass....

Sadly, this is typical of our fan base. Something for nothing. They want to enjoy a high quality program without having to pay for it. I don't consider simply buying season tickets supporting the program since you get something in return for the money spent. I've been a season ticket holder and Yosef Club member since 1979 and I am thrilled with what is happening. I will likely lose my space in the Stadium Lot to someone with deeper pockets, but I'd rather see this new blood and money come into the program than have it continue to operate on a shoe string budget. One reason ASU's program has lagged behind over the years was because of our cheap fan base. Well boys, those days are over and I'm glad to see the free ride come to an end. It's high time we grew up and started acting like a college program and not just some oversized high school.

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 06:33 AM

How dare you make the common people park a 1/4 mile away why those elite pigs who support and fund the program get to park nearby!

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Parking has always been tied to your donation level. Purchasing season tickets has never been a requirement.

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM

I don't consider my donation to Yosef to be just for good parking at football games. It is about helping all our athletic programs be more successful.

AshevilleApp2
March 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Sadly, this is typical of our fan base. Something for nothing. They want to enjoy a high quality program without having to pay for it. I don't consider simply buying season tickets supporting the program since you get something in return for the money spent. I've been a season ticket holder and Yosef Club member since 1979 and I am thrilled with what is happening. I will likely lose my space in the Stadium Lot to someone with deeper pockets, but I'd rather see this new blood and money come into the program than have it continue to operate on a shoe string budget. One reason ASU's program has lagged behind over the years was because of our cheap fan base. Well boys, those days are over and I'm glad to see the free ride come to an end. It's high time we grew up and started acting like a college program and not just some oversized high school.

We've lagged behind very few programs over the years. Fifteen playoffs in twenty one years. Five trips to the Semi-finals and three national championships is pretty impressive.

jonmac
March 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Good article that was posted on MMB. This is precisely why we need more donors, big and small.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

The Moody1
March 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
We've lagged behind very few programs over the years. Fifteen playoffs in twenty one years. Five trips to the Semi-finals and three national championships is pretty impressive.

I believe when Appman refers to us lagging behind he is talking about our entire athletic budget and our facilities.

AshevilleApp2
March 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I believe when Appman refers to us lagging behind he is talking about our entire athletic budget and our facilities.

Thanks. I hope that was the intent. I'm still with Appholic on the issue, but we don't always have to agree.

Rekdiver
March 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Other than our track program, what program is of any national note?
Certaintly not basketball, soccer, baseball, volleyball, wrestling, field hockey....We lag behind in donations to our athletic program...period.
We have to bank it while we can. Whose to say what the program will be when jerry Moore retires an/or if the assistants get job offers at FBS schools? We've been very lucky......Whatever you give is greatly appreciated..........BUT don't expect a prime parking space for nothing!

Appaholic
March 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM

....and we're all so proud of you....I feel so small....thank you for being a martyr....next topic please....xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
March 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Other than our track program, what program is of any national note?
Certaintly not basketball, soccer, baseball, volleyball, wrestling, field hockey....We lag behind in donations to our athletic program...period.
We have to bank it while we can. Whose to say what the program will be when jerry Moore retires an/or if the assistants get job offers at FBS schools? We've been very lucky......Whatever you give is greatly appreciated..........BUT don't expect a prime parking space for nothing!

I don't think that was the original complaint. It was the level of the jump that was the issue. As I've stated a couple of times, I take the cheapskate (if that's what folks want to call it) way out, and park in Town for free. To each his, or her, own. See you in September!

elcid96
March 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM

That is a lot of moonshine for $1500.00. Isn't $1,500 about $1,499.00 more dollars than the price of the average car that parks in the lots around the stadium? xlolx xlolx

Appaholic
March 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
That is a lot of moonshine for $1500.00. Isn't $1,500 about $1,499.00 more dollars than the price of the average car that parks in the lots around the stadium? xlolx xlolx

Hudson High wannabees.......xcoffeex......yeah......I can buy two buggies and another horse for $1500....xsmiley_wix

SoCon48
March 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Free ride? Add a few hundred more to the martyr list.

Ironic thought after all the b----ing and moaning about season ticket priorities to be based on umpteen years of giving and records of every little penny donated and season ticket bought from 20 years ago.

Parking spaces are more important to those who have to drive 4 or 5 hours just to get there and pay for an overpriced Boone motel room reserved months in advance...than to those who get there from 2 hours or less away and return the same day. Not to mention those who have less than healthy or aged guests. Oh, that right, they have that special shuttle that alwasy gets there extra late and backed up in traffic for them.xrolleyesx

Many are still driving 3,4, 5 hours or more to get there while those closer having been sitting in the parking lot guzzling beer and downing burgers since 10 o'clock in the morning.

Plus thousands of ASU fans don't get to have their businesses pay for their donations or season tickets or even have the substantial tax write-offs.

Things go in cycles. The days where the little guy's money will again be begged for if the football success wanes like it does in all programs. When the stands come up half empty for a couple years while the team suffers through a coaching or admin transition,the boys in the Yosef Club admin will again be calling us peons weekly asking for a couple hundred bucks and offering free parking, club room priviledges, season ticket discounts, etc.

Let's all just hope that period is a few more years off and short in its duration.

citdog
March 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

rep pts

citdog
March 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hudson High wannabees.......xcoffeex......yeah......I can buy two buggies and another horse for $1500....xsmiley_wix

don't use my term for the USMA without crediting me.

appaholic's car is worth 50 bucks

bench
March 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM

your mom's worth 50 bucks

EPIC BURN

Rekdiver
March 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
SoCon48...Maybe a few less posts and you would have time to make more money and you could afford to step up? How do you think they deal with this at other schools? What are your suggestions for improving the program? Tax the rich more? Whadya say, Hillary or Obama?

What do you want them to do in the Yosef Club? I tell you what, I will donate your share park in a pay lot or somewhere on King Street and you can continue to grouse about the "little man" not getting something for free. You can have my space if you wear a sign that says" I love to complain but never have any answers on how to improve things" When I see something concrete from you on how we should run the Scholarship programs, where we can get the money to improve our facilities and how we can move forward then I will give your diatribe some respect, until then go find another site to complain on. AND while you just stepped on my last nerve, IF I own my business and am successful enough and my business can pay the freight to the Yosef Club or the School how dare you judge me for that? xmadx
You have just showed what a narrow minded little person you are....xnonox

Somebody pull the plug on this topic.....

citdog
March 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
your mom's worth 50 bucks

EPIC BURN

my mother is a fine example of Jewish Southern Womanhood. she'd also whip your ass glass joe!

Rekdiver
March 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
AND WHILE I'M AT IT...APPAHOLIC my blood pressure is way up and its your fault!!!!!xsmiley_wix

bench
March 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
my mother is a fine example of Jewish Southern Womanhood. she'd also whip your ass glass joe!

That's what I pay her for

WUTNDITWAA
March 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Free ride? Add a few hundred more to the martyr list.

Ironic thought after all the b----ing and moaning about season ticket priorities to be based on umpteen years of giving and records of every little penny donated and season ticket bought from 20 years ago.

Parking spaces are more important to those who have to drive 4 or 5 hours just to get there and pay for an overpriced Boone motel room reserved months in advance...than to those who get there from 2 hours or less away and return the same day. Not to mention those who have less than healthy or aged guests. Oh, that right, they have that special shuttle that alwasy gets there extra late and backed up in traffic for them.xrolleyesx

Many are still driving 3,4, 5 hours or more to get there while those closer having been sitting in the parking lot guzzling beer and downing burgers since 10 o'clock in the morning.

Plus thousands of ASU fans don't get to have their businesses pay for their donations or season tickets or even have the substantial tax write-offs.

Things go in cycles. The days where the little guy's money will again be begged for if the football success wanes like it does in all programs. When the stands come up half empty for a couple years while the team suffers through a coaching or admin transition,the boys in the Yosef Club admin will again be calling us peons weekly asking for a couple hundred bucks and offering free parking, club room priviledges, season ticket discounts, etc.

Let's all just hope that period is a few more years off and short in its duration.

Woe is you. Have fun cheering on Welfare State this fall. xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
March 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
AND WHILE I'M AT IT...APPAHOLIC my blood pressure is way up and its your fault!!!!!xsmiley_wix

Easy there buddy. It ain't worth a stroke. xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
March 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Deep.

SoCon48
March 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Duhhhh. FYI WUTNUTITWAA, I made a very significant donation to the Alumni Fund which I get zip from and ask nothing of. In addition to having sent 2 kids to App at full tuition costs. Just FYI.

Plus, I didn't say I wanted a parking space or any perks did I?? But I did hate seeing old guys who played football at App 40 years ago being treated like 3rd class citizens at KBS last Fall.

I have certainly given MORE than my fair share to App's Yosef Fund over the past 30+ years.
Just saying that the potential money from thousands of little peons giving $25-100 bucks a year are just as improtant as the few hundred who give a thousand or so. Ever heard of IPTAY? Started out as "I Pay Ten a Year".

SoCon48
March 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Deep.

He writes like a Harvard grad with a degree in Shakespearean Studies.xrulesx

Appaholic
March 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Hey.....I thought the topic was closed two days ago.....even thanked you guys for the counterpoints as it gave me the other side of the coin to think about.....logged in this morning and noticed a "re-opening" of the topic......I can't be held accountable for this round.....xpeacex

Appaholic
March 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM

That's all I can afford after picking up your bar tabs.......but seriously, call me when any of your suckers run your Mexicalli cars to 200k.......xsmiley_wix

BeauFoster
March 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Parking has always been tied to your donation level. Purchasing season tickets has never been a requirement.

I was told in 05 that, to get a parking pass for all home games, I would have to be a season ticket holder. I know that it was required last year, as I have the YC brochure.

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM

The wins and championships are impressive, but don't let those fool you. For years our coaches have done more with less than most of the major 1-aa / FCS programs. Until recently ASU has lagged far behind in funding, coaches salaries, number of season ticket holders, athletic scholarship donations, and marketing resources. We still do not raise the dollars necessary to fund 2/3 of our athletic scholarship requirements. Last year our staff finally became the top salaried group in the conference, but they are still far from being tops in the division. Facility wise we are now just beginning to catch up with the better programs in the division. Trust me, you will be amazed at some of the facilities (not stadiums) around this division. Just take a lok at JMU's Plecker Athletic Performance Center.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&ATCLID=789024

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
....and we're all so proud of you....I feel so small....thank you for being a martyr....next topic please....xcoffeex

Instead of being a smartass you should be thanking those who have donated a lot of money over the years so cheap skates like you can enjoy a quality football program. Somebody's gotta pay for it and it obviously isn't going to be people like you. I suppose when you have nothing of substance to respond with you go to insulting people. It was about what I expected. Now continue on with your bitch and moan session. Poor little you.

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
SoCon48;892247
"Free ride? Add a few hundred more to the martyr list. Ironic thought after all the b----ing and moaning about season ticket priorities to be based on umpteen years of giving and records of every little penny donated and season ticket bought from 20 years ago."

Yes, a lot of ASU fans have enjoyed quite a nice ride for a little amount of money over the past 20 years. I am steadfast in my position ASU must honor the years of loyality of Yosef Club members and season ticket holders when it comes to seating and championship tickets. However, parking has always been based on your annual donation. Like I said, my parking space will probably change because someone else with deeper pockets steps up to the plate, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy as heck Yosef is drawing in $ from a wider base so they don't expect the same old cast of characters to keep funding the program.

"Parking spaces are more important to those who have to drive 4 or 5 hours just to get there and pay for an overpriced Boone motel room reserved months in advance...than to those who get there from 2 hours or less away and return the same day. Not to mention those who have less than healthy or aged guests. Oh, that right, they have that special shuttle that alwasy gets there extra late and backed up in traffic for them. Many are still driving 3,4, 5 hours or more to get there while those closer having been sitting in the parking lot guzzling beer and downing burgers since 10 o'clock in the morning."

Are you suggesting parking assignments should be based on driving distances? The only thing Yosef has to offer as perks are parking and seating location. Reserved parking at the $500 level isn't going away. You may have to walk a little more than you once did, but that's just the way it is. BTW, with 3 back operations I know all about that having difficulty walking distances and I don't set in the parking lot guzzling beer for 5 hours.

"Plus thousands of ASU fans don't get to have their businesses pay for their donations or season tickets or even have the substantial tax write-offs."

Never had an employer match a dime of my donation or make a donation in my name.

"Things go in cycles. The days where the little guy's money will again be begged for if the football success wanes like it does in all programs. When the stands come up half empty for a couple years while the team suffers through a coaching or admin transition,the boys in the Yosef Club admin will again be calling us peons weekly asking for a couple hundred bucks and offering free parking, club room priviledges, season ticket discounts, etc. Let's all just hope that period is a few more years off and short in its duration."

ASU will undoubtly fall on hard times somewhere down the road, but I think the genie is now out of the bottle and there is no turning back. The program has evolved to a new level and games are as much of a social event as anything. Our fans enjoy the pre game festivities almost as much as the games themselves. Heck, at fanfest last year people were tailgating 2 hours before the gates opened. I think we have seen the last of the old high school approach to ASU football.

AppMan
March 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I was told in 05 that, to get a parking pass for all home games, I would have to be a season ticket holder. I know that it was required last year, as I have the YC brochure.

You are correct. Up until '05 some business donors to Yosef were given parking passes without purchasing season tickets. Many people complained, rightly so, about the unused parking spaces on gamedays. A change was made that required them to buy at least one season ticket to keep their parking space.

WUTNDITWAA
March 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Just saying that the potential money from thousands of little peons giving $25-100 bucks a year are just as improtant as the few hundred who give a thousand or so. Ever heard of IPTAY? Started out as "I Pay Ten a Year".

If that was your first post, it would've gone over so much better, but nooooo, you had to up and go off the deep end.

SoCon48
March 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
SoCon48...Maybe a few less posts and you would have time to make more money and you could afford to step up? How do you think they deal with this at other schools? What are your suggestions for improving the program? Tax the rich more? Whadya say, Hillary or Obama?

What do you want them to do in the Yosef Club? I tell you what, I will donate your share park in a pay lot or somewhere on King Street and you can continue to grouse about the "little man" not getting something for free. You can have my space if you wear a sign that says" I love to complain but never have any answers on how to improve things" When I see something concrete from you on how we should run the Scholarship programs, where we can get the money to improve our facilities and how we can move forward then I will give your diatribe some respect, until then go find another site to complain on. AND while you just stepped on my last nerve, IF I own my business and am successful enough and my business can pay the freight to the Yosef Club or the School how dare you judge me for that? xmadx
You have just showed what a narrow minded little person you are....xnonox

Somebody pull the plug on this topic.....

Of course not, but no one should chastise people for not making $1500 or higher donations out of their own pockets who don't get the write-offs for their donations.

And just for your information, I gave at the Chancellors Level in 2005with no write off. I may do so again, but not because people on message boards pressure me or others into doing so or making demeaning remarks if I expect a little parking space.

Furthermore, I spend my time as I darn well please. Whether it be on the golf course, entertaining my friends, taking care of family members, churchwork, my civic club, promoting ASU to all my contacts, etc etc. If I didn't care about ASU, I wouldn't spend any of my time posting on here or anywhere else.

bench
March 12th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Instead of being a smartass you should be thanking those who have donated a lot of money over the years so cheap skates like you can enjoy a quality football program. Somebody's gotta pay for it and it obviously isn't going to be people like you. I suppose when you have nothing of substance to respond with you go to insulting people. It was about what I expected. Now continue on with your bitch and moan session. Poor little you.

Hey. HEY. Telling someone what they ought to do with their money is condescending as all hell. This isn't a necessity of life they're selling, and not everyone is as well-heeled as you're making out to be. If someone doesn't have disposable income to give, or feels the price of entry is too much for what they're getting out of it, that doesn't make them a cheapskate, and don't expect people who can't or won't donate to kiss your ass because you do. Those who want to enjoy the team without giving aren't necessarily lesser fans because of it, and those who give $18k to prove they have the biggest money-dick aren't automatically the most passionate. The program needs financial support, and the Yosef initiative and price hikes were surely overdue, but it's simply too steep in one go, and expecting unquestioning fealty with universal tithes and tributes to match would be naive. It's heretical to the uber-patriotic Super Fans, but giving is not a mandatory obligation of true fanhood. It's not for everyone.

On a semi-related note, I'm actually enjoying this quality football program less and less every day, in part because this new-found Winner's Culture is turning our fans into Duke and Carolina fans - that creeping attitude of superiority, entitlement, and arrogance has permeated the ranks, and since I don't jibe with that, I'm the one left feeling like he doesn't belong. We don't just want to be the best on the field, we want to be the best at everything. For off-the-field exploits, money is apparently the best way of keeping score, which is great for those with enough disposable income to personally affirm their Super Fan status, but historically the surest way of putting a grinding halt to an empire is putting greedheads at the gears.

Heresy, I know, but I'm half-hoping for a humbling experience in Baton Rouge. Maybe an epic ass-beating will tone down the rhetoric from the douchebuckets, and we can get back to accepting this team for what it's really been the whole time - a damn strong small college football team that's a hell of a lot of fun to watch. That used to be enough.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM
bench it is an unfortunate turn of events that I can't rep you right now due to the fact that I repped you on the previous page. Appaholic, Asheville App2 the same goes for you. I have never missed a single game in WaGriz ever since it opened. There are people with better seats than I have in the stadium, that doesn't bother me one little bit. I know what the price of admission is for those seats and I am happy where I am at. The reason that bench's eloquent post above hits close to home is that we have a lot of fans that are Johnny come latelys at Montana that have the money-dick attitude put forth by bench previously. Many have only recently started paying their dues and act as if they are the driving force behind the program because they are paying the higher amount of the burden recently but were not there over the long haul. It's always fun to take these kind of people down so when you get the chance do so because it is extremely satisfying. You always seem to get some people that will come in and put the shingles on a house that many of you have been working on building for many years and then they like to act like they were there for the entire project.

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Heresy, I know, but I'm half-hoping for a humbling experience in Baton Rouge. Maybe an epic ass-beating will tone down the rhetoric from the douchebuckets, and we can get back to accepting this team for what it's really been the whole time - a damn strong small college football team that's a hell of a lot of fun to watch. That used to be enough.

I really don't know what to say to that. Pulling for your school to have an "epic ass-beating at LSU to run off Johnny Come Lately just so you can see ASU put back "in its place". What's next, wishing we would've lost at Michigan? xmadx

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hey. HEY. Telling someone what they ought to do with their money is condescending as all hell. This isn't a necessity of life they're selling, and not everyone is as well-heeled as you're making out to be. If someone doesn't have disposable income to give, or feels the price of entry is too much for what they're getting out of it, that doesn't make them a cheapskate, and don't expect people who can't or won't donate to kiss your ass because you do. Those who want to enjoy the team without giving aren't necessarily lesser fans because of it, and those who give $18k to prove they have the biggest money-dick aren't automatically the most passionate. The program needs financial support, and the Yosef initiative and price hikes were surely overdue, but it's simply too steep in one go, and expecting unquestioning fealty with universal tithes and tributes to match would be naive. It's heretical to the uber-patriotic Super Fans, but giving is not a mandatory obligation of true fanhood. It's not for everyone.

On a semi-related note, I'm actually enjoying this quality football program less and less every day, in part because this new-found Winner's Culture is turning our fans into Duke and Carolina fans - that creeping attitude of superiority, entitlement, and arrogance has permeated the ranks, and since I don't jibe with that, I'm the one left feeling like he doesn't belong. We don't just want to be the best on the field, we want to be the best at everything. For off-the-field exploits, money is apparently the best way of keeping score, which is great for those with enough disposable income to personally affirm their Super Fan status, but historically the surest way of putting a grinding halt to an empire is putting greedheads at the gears.

Awesome post. Let's never forget that the primary responsibility of a University is educating students, not having the best sports facilities or best teams. On the rare occasion when I've been able to contribute to ASU, it's been for the good of the University, not the athletic programs.

I appreciate what the Yosef Club does for the athletic programs, but personally I never saw the need for a large scale stadium expansion. I still don't. I won't get any more enjoyment from the game in a 30,000 seat stadium than I have in a 17,000 seat stadium. I never saw the need for the Holmes Convocation Center when we never filled Varsity Gym. I still don't. If others see that need and choose to contribute to it, more power to them. But please don't ridicule others whose priorities are different from yours.

OL FU
March 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM
12 pages of 25 App posters named Jethroxeyebrowx xeekx :D

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
12 pages of 25 App posters named Jethroxeyebrowx xeekx :D

And now with one Furman poster named Blaine. xrotatehx xlolx

OL FU
March 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
And now with one Furman poster named Blaine. xrotatehx xlolx

xsmiley_wix How did you knowxlolx

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Awesome post. Let's never forget that the primary responsibility of a University is educating students, not having the best sports facilities or best teams. On the rare occasion when I've been able to contribute to ASU, it's been for the good of the University, not the athletic programs.

I appreciate what the Yosef Club does for the athletic programs, but personally I never saw the need for a large scale stadium expansion. I still don't. I won't get any more enjoyment from the game in a 30,000 seat stadium than I have in a 17,000 seat stadium. I never saw the need for the Holmes Convocation Center when we never filled Varsity Gym. I still don't. If others see that need and choose to contribute to it, more power to them. But please don't ridicule others whose priorities are different from yours.

I'll get more enjoyment out of a 30,000 seat stadium, especially since we're presently cramming 30,000 into the 17,000 seat one. I like to go to the concession stands or the head and miss, maybe five minutes, rather than an entire quarter. xreadx

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 07:39 AM
xsmiley_wix How did you knowxlolx

Chalk it up to my sixth-grade edumication. :D

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'll get more enjoyment out of a 30,000 seat stadium, especially since we're presently cramming 30,000 into the 17,000 seat one. I like to go to the concession stands or the head and miss, maybe five minutes, rather than an entire quarter. xreadx

Different issue. We shouldn't be cramming 30,000 people in right now. It alls goes back to money, and what the market will bear. Again, it's your money, donate it where you please.

DLS
March 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM

this is the most ignorant post ive ever read on this site. do you have any clue to how much money is rolling in now since 2005?

no need for holmes? my anus is more fit to hold games than the varsity gym.

athletics boost school publicity, pride, town economy, alumni intrest, quality of students. . . etc.

pretty much anything positive that has happened to appstate in the last 3yrs is due to the football team.

now the school just needs to invest in some more parking decks. priority no.1

bench
March 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I really don't know what to say to that. Pulling for your school to have an "epic ass-beating at LSU to run off Johnny Come Lately just so you can see ASU put back "in its place". What's next, wishing we would've lost at Michigan? xmadx

The team is great. They're likable. They've stayed humble, they're good at what they do, and they seem like a pretty good bunch of guys. The fans are the ones in dire need of a dose of humility. And if I think they're bad now, I can only imagine what kind of insufferable pricks they'd be after an unlikely win over LSU...

I love our team. I hate our fans. Take that however the hell you like.

Touchdown Yosef
March 13th, 2008, 09:18 AM

As much as I am trying to stay out of this wonderful conversation I just thought I would re-post this article from a few months ago to give bring in an outsider's view of all the success Appalachian has been so fortunate to enjoy over the last few years.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2007/dec/13/App-State-shows-power-of-success/

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
The team is great. They're likable. They've stayed humble, they're good at what they do, and they seem like a pretty good bunch of guys. The fans are the ones in dire need of a dose of humility. And if I think they're bad now, I can only imagine what kind of insufferable pricks they'd be after an unlikely win over LSU...

I love our team. I hate our fans. Take that however the hell you like.

Just to let it be known, it's not the "insufferable [ones]" who have resorted to the blue language. xrulesx

Newsflash: If ASU loses at LSU, and not just loses, but gets thrashed (which I still can't figure out how you would wish that on a team you say you love), you're still not going to get your wish of going back to the days where you could arrive about a quarter of one, purchase your ticket on the 35 and be in your seat in time for kickoff. Only to leave at halftime because the Tar Heels are playing Clemson on ESPN that night.

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Different issue. We shouldn't be cramming 30,000 people in right now. It alls goes back to money, and what the market will bear. Again, it's your money, donate it where you please.

I will. And as a favor to you, I'll wander over to AnyGivenFrenchMovieFest so you can chastise me in subtitles on where I spend my money. ;)

Rekdiver
March 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM
There is no respect for backward thinking people. It's a new day at ASU. and the sanctamonious people who project this superior air of righteous indignation at the improvements needed and the associated cost need to move on. You people are dinosaurs. Spend your time coming up with positive ways to enhance the experience at App, not whinning and complaining about those that are trying to make a difference. Do you think anyone in the admin is getting rich off of this stuff or is their effort a labor of love? We could always get Rochell Laney back and be mired in mediocracy. If you are not happy with the product on the field or in the gym that's your perrogative but I am sick and tired of listening to you which is my perrogative.

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
When I spread enough rep around, I'm going to have to hit you again. Solid.

bench
March 13th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Just to let it be known, it's not the "insufferable [ones]" who have resorted to the blue language. xrulesx

Oh noes! The bad man said "hell" and "prick"! Bwaa! Why couldn't he have said "heck" and "poopyhead"? Because I'm not six.

If losing badly to a team out of our division, in a game that really doesn't matter in the long run, gives the braying jackass portion of our fanbase a greatly needed dose of humility, I'm all for it. I'm rooting for it out of spite, but a much-needed corrective action like this, while painful, is healthy, and necessary for the continued well-being of the patient.

I snipped the rest of your post because it was slop. I'm not anti-progress, I'm anti-astronomical increases, anti-elitist, anti-arrogance, and anti-asshole. I said it in Chattanooga with three minutes to go in the game: We are now officially the Evil Empire. We are the Yankees of subdivision football, with the dominance and the goofball fans to match. And everyone seems hell-bent to prove me right.

DLS
March 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM
considering it has only been recent success id feel better comparing us to the red sox.

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oh noes! The bad man said "hell" and "prick"! Bwaa! Why couldn't he have said "heck" and "poopyhead"? Because I'm not six.

If losing badly to a team out of our division, in a game that really doesn't matter in the long run, gives the braying jackass portion of our fanbase a greatly needed dose of humility, I'm all for it. I'm rooting for it out of spite, but a much-needed corrective action like this, while painful, is healthy, and necessary for the continued well-being of the patient.

I snipped the rest of your post because it was slop. I'm not anti-progress, I'm anti-astronomical increases, anti-elitist, anti-arrogance, and anti-asshole. I said it in Chattanooga with three minutes to go in the game: We are now officially the Evil Empire. We are the Yankees of subdivision football, with the dominance and the goofball fans to match. And everyone seems hell-bent to prove me right.

Geaux. Just, geaux. You and Roachel will always have the good ol' days of 2004. xcoffeex

The Moody1
March 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM

It sounds like you either need a time machine or a new team to pull for. Good luck. :D

ERASU2113
March 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
considering it has only been recent success id feel better comparing us to the red sox.

The only difference is the Red Sox won a title.......then went 86 years without another.

We just won 1 - 3.

I'd say it's more like we share qualities of the Yankees & Red Sox

DinoDex200
March 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Think of this... They could care less whether you've had season tickets for a lifetime... They know they can try to wrestle a donation out of 50%+ of the stadium! If you don't buy season tickets... THEY DON'T CARE. They know that single-game tickets will sell in your seats regardless.

Just like I mentioned last year about the Club taking over Raley... It's a strong-arm tactic that this group seems to enjoy using.

Strong-Arm? It's run by alumni, just like you and me. It's made available, by the school, for us to park in on gamedays. They could do whatever they want with it...it wasn't your God given right to park there!

I guarantee you the people who've "had season tickets" for a lifetime are the ones that have pushed for, and agreed to, these donation increases. We only exceeded $1 million in annual Yosef Club Donations after 2005's NC.

This is an athletic department that has been run on the cheap for decades, thanks to poor marketing, alumni relations, and reluctant fans. Now, we finally have a chance to capitalize on our success, and people like you think we should just ignore that fact because you might get your feelings hurt having to walk from King St. or Blowing Rock Road to get to Kidd-Brewer...and you might have to go above and beyond the bare minimum to attend App State games!

Do me a favor - go to a big-time college football game once. And I don't mean Carolina or State. Go to Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc. and see how far they have to walk to get to the stadium...where they set up to tailgate...how far they sit from the field...and how much they have to pay to even have that right.

Maybe then you'll see that App State football is a pretty incredible value.

But do me a favor - if you aren't ready to help this program get to the next level financially...please, stop coming to games. I'm sure we can make up the piddly amount you begrudgingly part with every year somewhere else.

ERASU2113
March 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
wow..........

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
this is the most ignorant post ive ever read on this site. do you have any clue to how much money is rolling in now since 2005?

no need for holmes? my anus is more fit to hold games than the varsity gym.

athletics boost school publicity, pride, town economy, alumni intrest, quality of students. . . etc.

pretty much anything positive that has happened to appstate in the last 3yrs is due to the football team.

now the school just needs to invest in some more parking decks. priority no.1

Thanks. Try some punctuation.

DinoDex200
March 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks. Try some punctuation.

I think he was writing in the "Larry King in USA Today" style. xlolx

Rekdiver
March 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Strong-Arm? It's run by alumni, just like you and me. It's made available, by the school, for us to park in on gamedays. They could do whatever they want with it...it wasn't your God given right to park there!

I guarantee you the people who've "had season tickets" for a lifetime are the ones that have pushed for, and agreed to, these donation increases. We only exceeded $1 million in annual Yosef Club Donations after 2005's NC.

This is an athletic department that has been run on the cheap for decades, thanks to poor marketing, alumni relations, and reluctant fans. Now, we finally have a chance to capitalize on our success, and people like you think we should just ignore that fact because you might get your feelings hurt having to walk from King St. or Blowing Rock Road to get to Kidd-Brewer...and you might have to go above and beyond the bare minimum to attend App State games!

Do me a favor - go to a big-time college football game once. And I don't mean Carolina or State. Go to Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc. and see how far they have to walk to get to the stadium...where they set up to tailgate...how far they sit from the field...and how much they have to pay to even have that right.

Maybe then you'll see that App State football is a pretty incredible value.

But do me a favor - if you aren't ready to help this program get to the next level financially...please, stop coming to games. I'm sure we can make up the piddly amount you begrudgingly part with every year somewhere else.

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!! Its about time we "called out" these people.

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I will. And as a favor to you, I'll wander over to AnyGivenFrenchMovieFest so you can chastise me in subtitles on where I spend my money. ;)

xconfusedx Please Explain.

Rekdiver
March 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
AND YOU KNOW WHAT I'D RATHER BE THE EVIL EMPIRE THAN NO EMPIRE!
IF WE GET CLASSED IN WITH DYNASTIES LIKE NOTRE DAME the PATROITS, DUKE OR UNC BASKETBALL OR EVEN TENNESSEE TO MENTION FEW I'M OKAY WITH THAT. PASSION, FINANCIAL SUPPORT AND WINNING BREED ENVY. I'LL ENJOY IT AND IF IT CONTINUES GREAT BUT I WAS A FAN OF 5-6 TEAMS AND I'LL BE A FAN OF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS. THE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT COSTS WILL BE THE FIRST TO CRITICIZE THE ADMINSTRATION IF WE DO FAIL.

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM
xconfusedx Please Explain.

French movies, subtitles? What's to explain?

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
French movies, subtitles? What's to explain?

What relevance French movie subtitles has to any discussion that has occurred.

ERASU2113
March 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Okay I've read through enough of these pages and have to say I happy agree with a number of people here and also disappointed in a number of people. For those select few....grow up.

Did you really think with the success of ASU, everything was going to stay the same? Should it? Get a grip and face reality.

ASU is a hot commodity right now, and looks to stay that way for a number of years. Ticket demand is at an all-time high, and will increass with the success we have. That doesn't come cheap, to continue to help we (students, alumni, fans) have to contribute.

If you look around the country at FBS & FCS programs....you'll notice we have it much better than a majority in regards to tickets and pre-game areas. (tailgating - parking - etc.) However, in terms of facilities we're lagging behind the top tier programs, like we are. That's what's being worked on.

For season ticket holders, they have to get priority and we all know that. I would be pissed off if I had a season ticket but had to talk from 321 or Kings St. to see the game. I sure as hell better be parked close to the stadium. The ticket is valuable and should be worth parking close. Single game ticket holders, in all honestly, are irrelevant. Why? Because I would make a guarantee there would be 100+ people willing to take that ticket if you're not. You don't want to walk 321 to get to the game? Someone will.

If you're really a diehard ASU fan you'd put up with it....it's called dedication. Crying and whining are not the avenues to show your love for Appalachian. I for one know when I graduate in December, I'll not be able to see that many games, if any for awhile. I know I can get one from a friend still in school and whatnot. Once I got secured financially, I'll most likely get season tickets one day....for now I'll pass.-

Ideally they may have wanted to avoid the problems but it comes with the territory. But seriously get a grip and grow up. Moan if you want but seriously you need to be realistic

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Reread my rebuttal to you from this morning it was a light-hearted attempt saying that I understand and don't really care where you spend your money.

On second thought, just forget it. And I'll forget any thought I had about your opinion being different, but a valid one. It's about as dense as half this thread has been, and I apologize for lowering the intelligence of whomever has read it.

It's my wish that one day the folks at Nintendo will come out with an attachment to the Wii that will allow you, and the rest of the way-back crowd, to relive the glory days of the Appalachian State athletics administration from 1991-2004. The rest of us will be right here, in reality. xrolleyesx

DinoDex200
March 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
It's my wish that one day the folks at Nintendo will come out with an attachment to the Wii that will allow you, and the rest of the way-back crowd, to relive the glory days of the Appalachian State athletics administration from 1991-2004. The rest of us will be right here, in reality. xrolleyesx

Surely Wii Boxing has a "shadowboxing" option, doesn't it? :D

WUTNDITWAA
March 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Or drunk jogging around campus at midnight. xsmiley_wix

bench
March 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!! Its about time we "called out" these people.

This is thoroughly bat***** insane. You guys only want fans in the seats who are willing to drop big bills in the till? Good. I hope that's exactly what you get. And after the riffraff stop coming because they're not welcome in your High Society, I hope those who give a bigger wad than you chastise you for not "coming through" with five figures, because "true fans" like them do, and you're out on your ass.

If you pigs are representative of and speaking for the majority of our fanbase, the Greedheads and Money-Dicks can have it. I'm getting the ***** out.

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Reread my rebuttal to you from this morning it was a light-hearted attempt saying that I understand and don't really care where you spend your money.

On second thought, just forget it. And I'll forget any thought I had about your opinion being different, but a valid one. It's about as dense as half this thread has been, and I apologize for lowering the intelligence of whomever has read it.

I think that if you re-read carefully and without emotion you'll see that I opined that different people can have different priorities where there money is spent. I believe that you'll also read that I appreciate what the Yosef Club has done for ASU. If our priorities are different I see nothing wrong with that. I may not see the need that you do, but I certainly feel that your opinions are relevant. Mine are as well, and I generally try to express them without ridiculing those who believe differently. Thanks for the stimulating exchange. See you in September. Go App!

DinoDex200
March 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
This is thoroughly bat***** insane. You guys only want fans in the seats who are willing to drop big bills in the till? Good. I hope that's exactly what you get. And after the riffraff stop coming because they're not welcome in your High Society, I hope those who give a bigger wad than you chastise you for not "coming through" with five figures, because "true fans" like them do, and you're out on your ass.

Not what I said at all. In fact, I've been a $100 donor to Yosef Club only once, and I've never been a Season Ticket holder. Do I realize I may have to raise my donation level, and buy season tickets, to ensure I can sit somewhere and park as close each game? Yes.

Am I complaining about this, though? No.

Why is that? Because...the people that want better seats, and better parking spots are welcome to pay for them. Last year proved that they would.

The people that are happy just to be in Boone on a Saturday afternoon, tailgate, even if at a parking deck, and get to watch the Mountaineers play...even from the bank (which, based on capacity figures would seem to be between 10k-12k people willing to sit there) can do that as well.

My problem is this socialistic attitude that we have to keep everything even and fair so someone doesn't get their feelings hurt about not being able to donate enough to park in Raley. And those that spend more and get more are somehow bad for the program...you know, because they probably aren't the ones that have made up the large % of Yosef Club donations for years!

What this does is get the tightwads (not necessarily you or me), who likely have the wherewithal to donate at a 1k+ level, to get their butts in gear. It mobilizes donors...even at the smallest level of support, and it gives the young alums something to strive for. I believe the percentage of alumni donating to Yosef Club is somewhere in the 10% range. That is unacceptable.

This isn't meant to seperate the haves from the have nots. Go to any SEC football game on a Saturday afternoon, and you'll see middle class families all over the place, filling 92k seat stadiums. Sure they wish they could be sitting in the primo seats, and parking less than a few hundred yards from the stadium...but, ultimately, they're thrilled to be a part of something greater than themselves.

You're telling me we can't ask for a little more to keep a good thing going, or we risk not being able to fill a 22k seat stadium? BS.

That's why I think most of the people complaining about this are complaining because they can't handle the fact that - as an individual - they now need this program more than the program needs them - as an individual. The tables have been turned, the demand has been created, and just like in the big program, someone is waiting to take your place.

Does it suck in some ways? Yes. Will it bring is more fans by engendering loyalty through monetary means? Absolutely. Will it benefit us in the long term? You can't argue against that...even if we dropped back down to what we were before 2005, at least we cashed in while we could.

It's time for our athletic administration to stop feeling ashamed to ask for more from us...and they've realized that.

DLS
March 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think that if you re-read carefully and without emotion you'll see that I opined that different people can have different priorities where there money is spent. I believe that you'll also read that I appreciate what the Yosef Club has done for ASU. If our priorities are different I see nothing wrong with that. I may not see the need that you do, but I certainly feel that your opinions are relevant. Mine are as well, and I generally try to express them without ridiculing those who believe differently. Thanks for the stimulating exchange. See you in September. Go App!

our priorities are the same. our opinions about obtaining those priorities are different.

priority = making my degree look better

athletics gives us money to use on academics and spreads publicity to get better students and profs.

better students make my degree look better.

if we blow everything on academics and nothing on athletics then where will we be? nice class rooms for crappy students.

citdog
March 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i'll tell y'all a secret that should make ASU, and GSU in particular and the rest of the conference in general ashamed....

The Citadel Brigader Foundation annualy raises more money than anyone else in the Southern Conference. With only 2,000 Cadets and less than 15,000 living Alumni.

discuss

AshevilleApp2
March 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
our priorities are the same. our opinions about obtaining those priorities are different.

priority = making my degree look better

athletics gives us money to use on academics and spreads publicity to get better students and profs.

better students make my degree look better.

if we blow everything on academics and nothing on athletics then where will we be? nice class rooms for crappy students.

Never mind. It ain't worth the argument. See you in September.

DLS
March 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Never mind. It ain't worth the argument. See you in September.

Well excuse me for being a capitalist and looking out for number 1.

DinoDex200
March 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
i'll tell y'all a secret that should make ASU, and GSU in particular and the rest of the conference in general ashamed....

The Citadel Brigader Foundation annualy raises more money than anyone else in the Southern Conference. With only 2,000 Cadets and less than 15,000 living Alumni.

discuss

Same with VMI as well, I believe. Hmmm...wonder why that is? A sense of loyalty, perhaps?

Maybe because having a sense of being a part of something bigger than yourself is drilled into you the moment you set foot on campus?

Couldn't possibly be...

Saint3333
March 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Not

What this does is get the tightwads (not necessarily you or me), who likely have the wherewithal to donate at a 1k+ level, to get their butts in gear. It mobilizes donors...even at the smallest level of support, and it gives the young alums something to strive for. I believe the percentage of alumni donating to Yosef Club is somewhere in the 10% range. That is unacceptable.

It's only 2%, which is sad.xsmhx

That will grow though, with this new plan.xnodx

Appaholic
March 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM

discuss

Well, then, I guess a cynic could say this proves the theorum that larger donations do not equal success on the field. Citadel has large donations and *****ty overall football program.....App has low donations and last three national championships......xwhistlex

Seriously though....I'm sorry I ever brought the topic up as I do not enjoy seeing all this infighting......I thought the topic was dead earlier this week and we had left it on good terms.....sorry it ever got re-opened....

I admit I am originally speaking from a selfish point of view.....long-time money donors should receive benefits. My biggest concern was with the rate of increase, not the fact we have to pay for parking. Nobody likes change, especially when it's to their detriment.....my initial response was out of human emotion. Times have changed in Boone and there is no future in fighting the changes.....not all changes will be agreeable, but overall, we have changed for the better....there were great points made on both sides of the argument, but it's obvious we are not going to agree on all aspects nor should we.......let's kill the topic and go back to cheering on App.....and, if I ever meet any of you guys face-to-face, 1st rounds are on me. xpeacex

DinoDex200
March 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Well, then, I guess a cynic could say this proves the theorum that larger donations do not equal success on the field. Citadel has large donations and *****ty overall football program.....App has low donations and last three national championships...

Well - obviously, with military academies there are obviously mitigating circumstances. The fact that they are even able to put together semi-competitive sports programs with a small alumni base and the military thing is pretty impressive.

Don't forget - The Citadel has had one of the best baseball programs in the SoCon for the last few decades, and VMI used to be the class of the SoCon in hoops.

DinoDex200
March 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM
It's only 2%, which is sad.xsmhx

That will grow though, with this new plan.xnodx

Exactly - we have done a horrible job of mobilizing donors to the athletic department. With our athletic programs now more visible than ever, it would be foolish to not do something to kick everyone in the butt and raise that mark significantly!

Appaholic
March 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Well - obviously, with military academies there are obviously mitigating circumstances. The fact that they are even able to put together semi-competitive sports programs with a small alumni base and the military thing is pretty impressive.

pssst.....I agree....just don't tell Citdog I agree.....I'll never live it down......xwhistlex ....

fjblair
March 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Your rant is ridiculous. Great attitude.

Appaholic
March 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Your rant is ridiculous. Great attitude.

Thank you for contributing your insight......xdeadhorsex

ASUMountaineer
March 15th, 2008, 06:20 AM

I'm the biggest opponent of going I-A.

ASUMountaineer
March 15th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I graduated in 2006 ... last year I gave the school 1,000 got bumped up to the next level as that was the rules... as of last year they were doing the bumping for 3 years after you graduate ...

KUDOS to the University for changing it to 5 years and giving young alums half off ... so now I will get half off YC levels until the year 2011 :)

For all of us young alums out there ... give 500 bucks and you can get a numbered lot in RALEY and get primo seats :)

Yeah, or be like me and graduate in May 03, give $1500 last year (which bumped me up to the $1500 level), go the YC room, park at Justice and now be just OUT of the 5 year plan and find out in addition I probably won't get the same spot as last year if I donate that much again. I understand why the AD is doing what it is, and it doesn't bother me too much except it was so much at once. I can afford to donate, but that doesn't mean I can't empathize with those who cannot. I was at the Big House and when I think about that, it was amazing, I will always support Appalachian, but I can do so by disagreeing with the administration at times--like I did when I was there and disagreed with Chancellor Borkowski.

One thing I do want to say is: When I was at ASU I worked for the Appalachian Fund, I wish people argued this much and donated as much to the Appalachian Fund as they boast of donating to the Yosef Club. The Appalachian Fund helps provide money for academics that the state does not--afterall, that's why there is an Appalachian State...to get an education. (And yes, I understand how successful athletics can benefit the school--but, so can successful students who aren't athletes).

ASU
March 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Thank you for contributing your insight......xdeadhorsex

Sounds like U got a free pass for awhile. I have no pity since I have to park in Virginia or Tennessee and walk the 30 miles to Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone......not as bad as when I was a student and it was ten degrees below zero with ten feet of snow on the ground. Always pack a Buck knife to dig through the ice on your coffee.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2039/appalachianstonemountaixm5.gif
By pigskinsteve (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/pigskinsteve) at 2008-03-15

AppMan
March 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM

It amazes me how people can take statements completely out of context and try to make a big deal out of it. Nobody has asked anyone to kiss anyone's ass or told anyone how to spend their money. However, for people who don't give a dime to financially support the program to demand the same seating and parking arrangements as those who do is the more arrogant stance. Since when did simply being a passionate fan automatically entitle one to the perks of those who contribute financially to the program? I am not a wealthy person by any means, but I do enjoy the programs (not just football) at ASU and sacrifice a few dollars to help them pay for scholarships. I started right out of school giving a whopping $25 per year and I seriously doubt anyone even fresh out of school with a job can't spare $100 a year. Crap, they probably spend far more than that in a month on beer & pretzels! However, if someone does not have the disposable income to contribute no big deal, but don't bitch and moan about not having prime seating and parking because you can't. I have been involved with the Yosef Club and ASU athletics for over 30 years and will probably lose my parking space to someone who has only jumped on board following the success of the past three years. Am I bitter? Not in the least! I am thrilled with the interest and support the Mountaineers are finally getting and it is what I've been working towards for all these years. If it helps ASU attain a higher status and become a more first class program I'm all for it. I am amused at people like you who think ASU's fan base has become a blue blood crowd. Compared to similar programs around the country ASU football is still extremely affordable. It is also very comforting to know ASU has a fan out there who would like to see ASU humbled by LSU just to satisify vendetta against what they percieve as a few conceited fans. Man, that is some sick, twisted logic you are using there. I'm also proud you think ASU should remain a "small college team" so you won't have to deal with all those fat cats who don't care nearly as much about the team as you do. Nothing like putting one's personal agenda ahead of the program.

AppMan
March 15th, 2008, 08:08 AM
There is no respect for backward thinking people. It's a new day at ASU. and the sanctamonious people who project this superior air of righteous indignation at the improvements needed and the associated cost need to move on. You people are dinosaurs. Spend your time coming up with positive ways to enhance the experience at App, not whinning and complaining about those that are trying to make a difference. Do you think anyone in the admin is getting rich off of this stuff or is their effort a labor of love? We could always get Rochell Laney back and be mired in mediocracy. If you are not happy with the product on the field or in the gym that's your perrogative but I am sick and tired of listening to you which is my perrogative.

Well said!

AppMan
March 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Not what I said at all. In fact, I've been a $100 donor to Yosef Club only once, and I've never been a Season Ticket holder. Do I realize I may have to raise my donation level, and buy season tickets, to ensure I can sit somewhere and park as close each game? Yes.

Am I complaining about this, though? No.

Why is that? Because...the people that want better seats, and better parking spots are welcome to pay for them. Last year proved that they would.

The people that are happy just to be in Boone on a Saturday afternoon, tailgate, even if at a parking deck, and get to watch the Mountaineers play...even from the bank (which, based on capacity figures would seem to be between 10k-12k people willing to sit there) can do that as well.

My problem is this socialistic attitude that we have to keep everything even and fair so someone doesn't get their feelings hurt about not being able to donate enough to park in Raley. And those that spend more and get more are somehow bad for the program...you know, because they probably aren't the ones that have made up the large % of Yosef Club donations for years!

This isn't meant to seperate the haves from the have nots. Go to any SEC football game on a Saturday afternoon, and you'll see middle class families all over the place, filling 92k seat stadiums. Sure they wish they could be sitting in the primo seats, and parking less than a few hundred yards from the stadium...but, ultimately, they're thrilled to be a part of something greater than themselves.

You're telling me we can't ask for a little more to keep a good thing going, or we risk not being able to fill a 22k seat stadium? BS.

That's why I think most of the people complaining about this are complaining because they can't handle the fact that - as an individual - they now need this program more than the program needs them - as an individual. The tables have been turned, the demand has been created, and just like in the big program, someone is waiting to take your place.

Does it suck in some ways? Yes. Will it bring is more fans by engendering loyalty through monetary means? Absolutely. Will it benefit us in the long term? You can't argue against that...even if we dropped back down to what we were before 2005, at least we cashed in while we could.

It's time for our athletic administration to stop feeling ashamed to ask for more from us...and they've realized that.

How dare you have that type of position as a common foot soldier fan! Don't you realize only arrogant, sanctimonious, luxuriant, just in it for the status, pseudo fans have an attitude like that? It's bad for all the Socialists out there who feel their entitlements are being taken away!

Preach on brother!

SoCon48
March 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Bench had it exactly right on the money when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bench
Hey. HEY. Telling someone what they ought to do with their money is condescending as all hell. This isn't a necessity of life they're selling, and not everyone is as well-heeled as you're making out to be. If someone doesn't have disposable income to give, or feels the price of entry is too much for what they're getting out of it, that doesn't make them a cheapskate, and don't expect people who can't or won't donate to kiss your ass because you do.

An idea. Why don't people who want to write $10,000+ checks do so, and those who want to just attend games and donate a few bucks to Yosef, do so. The ones who keep degrading those who don't donate big bucks should stf up and the ones who don't want to donate big bucks should stf up also.
Both categories are equal in their intentions.

AppMan
March 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Bench had it exactly right on the money when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bench
Hey. HEY. Telling someone what they ought to do with their money is condescending as all hell. This isn't a necessity of life they're selling, and not everyone is as well-heeled as you're making out to be. If someone doesn't have disposable income to give, or feels the price of entry is too much for what they're getting out of it, that doesn't make them a cheapskate, and don't expect people who can't or won't donate to kiss your ass because you do.

An idea. Why don't people who want to write $10,000+ checks do so, and those who want to just attend games and donate a few bucks to Yosef, do so. The ones who keep degrading those who don't donate big bucks should stf up and the ones who don't want to donate big bucks should stf up also.
Both categories are equal in their intentions.

Once again. Nobody is telling anyone to give to Yosef nor is anyone degrading anyone for their personal decision. This discussion was started with a rant busting on the Yosef Club for giving the best parking and prime seating to the growing number of people who have become donors. Although I would hope a graduate who enjoys ASU's athletics teams would want to support the Yosef Club, it is fine for someone to not become a member. Just don't bitch and moan about those who do when they get the better seats and parking spots.

SoCon48
March 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM
nor is anyone degrading anyone for their personal decision

I absolutely totally 1000% disagree with that statement. On this board and on the MMB, it is taking place daily and not just subtley.

Just don't bitch and moan about those who do when they get the better seats and parking spots.

Relatively few are doing that but some are questioning the sudden extent of the inflation, but hey $50,000,000 in facility upgrades do deserve more donor support even though it is scholarship $ that the Yosef fund is for. Too we all agree that first class facilities do need matching first class levels of scholarships.

BTW, I thought you were totally against the use of profanity in message board or e-mail posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rekdiver
March 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Okay, let's say we have a clean slate here. For those of you that are upset, what would you do differently to raise money?

The most realistic proposal gets to join our tailgate for a game....I'm not telling you where it yet.

For the statisticans that lvove big numbers......
Could the sudden inflation of the costs be due to the fact that it's been long overdue and that all of us have been getting a bargain for many years? Could it be that certain parties didn't know how to ask for money and were part of the "good old boys club" that didn't want change and were happy being average and as long as we were ahead of WCU and LR that would be just fine with them? Could it be that Charlie Cobb coming from a big time program knows how to run a business? Could it be that we are sooooo behind?

Don't hide behind the percentage increase. We are talking about in some cases $100 a month increase to get some perks. I'd rather see you compalin about the price of gas.......Show me your finances, I can find $100 a month.

I'd give anyway with or without the perks BECAUSE I WANT IMPROVEMENT IN THE PROGRAM.

I ask again and haven't gotten any good answers from the complainers... who quite frankly see the cup as half empty......

What would you do different to raise money for YOSEF?

AppStFan76
March 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Can someone clairify for me what is included in a $250 or $500 donation to Yosef Club. Are you still required to purchase your season tickets or are they gratis for the donation? And if so how many? I'm not concerned about the parking issue just trying to figure total cost of season tickets now.

Rekdiver
March 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM

If you pigs are representative of and speaking for the majority of our fanbase, the Greedheads and Money-Dicks can have it. I'm getting the ***** out.

I don't want only the monied in the stands but it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we had nothing but millionaires in those seats and I had to seat
I went to the ACC Championship games this weekend, sat in the upper deck 5 rows from the top. Who do you think sat in the lower level? If you are a fan because you had access at a cheap price and now you don't and you are no longer a fan because someone is fortunate enought to have made some bucks and is willing to donate them and get something in return that you were basically getting for free then get out of my stadium.
No one is calling you riffraff, I'm just sick of people, including you complaining about the cost of progress, the economics of running a program and having no original thoughts about how to do it better.

lillycafe
March 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Can someone clairify for me what is included in a $250 or $500 donation to Yosef Club. Are you still required to purchase your season tickets or are they gratis for the donation? And if so how many? I'm not concerned about the parking issue just trying to figure total cost of season tickets now.

This should answer your questions about what $250 and $500 gets you. http://www.goasu.com/page/7/ My undertainding is that you still must purchase your season ticket and I do not think the ticket office and Yosof Club have determined how many season tickets you can buy as of yet.

bench
March 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Don't hide behind the percentage increase.

Sure. Using statistics as a basis for an opinion is like using regular facts, only with numbers, which is worse. It was a silly framework for an argument, and I promise to drop it immediately. So it quadrupled. Big whoopty *****, huh?

In other, totally unrelated and not-at-all made up news: The Social Security Administration announced Monday that Social Security withholdings will jump from 7.65 percent to 30.4 percent, effective January 1, 2009. SSA chairman Hector Bench said the badly-needed and long-overdue increase is designed to pay down the federal deficit, fund dozens of federal initiatives to combat poverty, construct housing and schools in poor neighborhoods, and to assist ongoing relief efforts in New Orleans following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

"There may be those who feel that a 400 percent increase is excessive," Chairman Bench said during Monday morning's press conference. "However, these are all worthy causes that your tax dollars are going to, and frankly, Americans got by for far too long paying a measly thirteenth of their income for the federal services they received.

"This is the price we as Americans must be willing to pay to continue living in the greatest country on earth," Bench continued, "and if you anti-progressive twits don't like it you can move to Mexico, you cheapskate bastards - we can do without your kind in my country."

It is for a good cause, and percent increase is a horrible argument - statistics! - so I guess we'd all be OK with that.

What would you do different to raise money for YOSEF?

I would start with a base of $250/$125, and $500 for prime parking. Good start, but this would really make the nut: In addition, I would send plainclothes agents out into the tailgates. I would have them eavesdrop and take notes on what our fans were saying, and take pictures of what they were doing. Those caught acting with grace and humility - and we do have those - would be refunded their Yosef dues. Any fan caught acting like a jackass, mentioning moving up to FBS, talking about going to Chattanooga like it's a foregone conclusion, talking about all the FBS teams we could beat, bragging about what they gave Yosef, talking *****, etc. - in short, examples of why fans from other teams want to like us but can't - I would charge them a mandatory App-Asshat fee of $1000 on top of what they already paid, and if they don't pay, they can hit the bricks. That, friend, is a progressive policy - those who do the most damage to our university and our fanbase should be the ones to pay for the mess. It may be said that success breeds contempt, but I believe in our case that success has bred the contemptuous.

Saint3333
March 17th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I would start with a base of $250/$125, and $500 for prime parking. Good start, but this would really make the nut: In addition, I would send plainclothes agents out into the tailgates. I would have them eavesdrop and take notes on what our fans were saying, and take pictures of what they were doing. Those caught acting with grace and humility - and we do have those - would be refunded their Yosef dues. Any fan caught acting like a jackass, mentioning moving up to FBS, talking about going to Chattanooga like it's a foregone conclusion, talking about all the FBS teams we could beat, bragging about what they gave Yosef, talking *****, etc. - in short, examples of why fans from other teams want to like us but can't - I would charge them a mandatory App-Asshat fee of $1000 on top of what they already paid, and if they don't pay, they can hit the bricks. That, friend, is a progressive policy - those who do the most damage to our university and our fanbase should be the ones to pay for the mess. It may be said that success breeds contempt, but I believe in our case that success has bred the contemptuous.

Did you take an economics class at ASU? The Stadium lot parking lot has been $1,000 since 2000, you must be speaking about Raley. The Duncan lot was completely full last year with $1,000 season ticket holding Yosef members. The demand is there for $1,000 donors to get a parking space in Raley. $250 gets you a parking space less than 1/4 mile away from the stadium, that is prime parking.

I'd say there is a high corrolation between the classier fans on gameday and the members of the Yosef Club than any other group of fans. Not sure where the rest of your ideas really impacts Yosef Club members.

WUTNDITWAA
March 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Did you take an economics class at ASU? The Stadium lot parking lot has been $1,000 since 2000, you must be speaking about Raley. The Duncan lot was completely full last year with $1,000 season ticket holding Yosef members. The demand is there for $1,000 donors to get a parking space in Raley. $250 gets you a parking space less than 1/4 mile away from the stadium, that is prime parking.

I'd say there is a high corrolation between the classier fans on gameday and the members of the Yosef Club than any other group of fans. Not sure where the rest of your ideas really impacts Yosef Club members.

I'm beginning to think bench aint from around our parts, Saint.

Kiss My Apps
March 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I would start with a base of $250/$125, and $500 for prime parking.

It is obvious to me that you have yet to grasp that the Yosef Club has not raised the price of parking... rather that the supply/demand has driven the cost up. There are too many donors and too few "prime" parking spots for your solution to have any chance of working. xconfusedx

The situation is not complex... we are benefiting from an influx of donors at the $1500 level and above. These donors have overfilled the stadium lot and are overflowed into the Duncan lot, which has moved the Duncan lot folks into Raley. Why is this so hard for some of you to grasp???

APPALACHIANstate
March 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
It is obvious to me that you have yet to grasp that the Yosef Club has not raised the price of parking... rather that the supply/demand has driven the cost up. There are too many donors and too few "prime" parking spots for your solution to have any chance of working. xconfusedx

The situation is not complex... we are benefiting from an influx of donors at the $1500 level and above. These donors have overfilled the stadium lot and are overflowed into the Duncan lot, which has moved the Duncan lot folks into Raley. Why is this so hard for some of you to grasp???

NOT ECON........NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

APPsolute Champion
March 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM

No kidding. Value is driven by supply/demand. Why is this so hard for some people to see.

We should be happy that App has gained such exposure and that the fanbase is much larger. It helps all of the programs. I can remember (not too long ago) when ASU could not fill up KBS.

You can claim that this influx of fans are bandwagon and "non-riffraff" all you like, but with success comes exposure. Be careful what you wish for.

Don'tPlayW/Yosef
March 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Can we please let this thread DIE!

Appaholic
March 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Can we please let this thread DIE!

Yes....please let it die.....we have dissected the pros amnd cons of this issue......I don't like the rate if inflation....others do not like us cheapskates.....but we all like App football......let's leave it at that....xpeacex

SoCon48
March 19th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sure. Using statistics as a basis for an opinion is like using regular facts, only with numbers, which is worse. It was a silly framework for an argument, and I promise to drop it immediately. So it quadrupled. Big whoopty *****, huh?

In other, totally unrelated and not-at-all made up news: The Social Security Administration announced Monday that Social Security withholdings will jump from 7.65 percent to 30.4 percent, effective January 1, 2009. SSA chairman Hector Bench said the badly-needed and long-overdue increase is designed to pay down the federal deficit, fund dozens of federal initiatives to combat poverty, construct housing and schools in poor neighborhoods, and to assist ongoing relief efforts in New Orleans following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

"There may be those who feel that a 400 percent increase is excessive," Chairman Bench said during Monday morning's press conference. "However, these are all worthy causes that your tax dollars are going to, and frankly, Americans got by for far too long paying a measly thirteenth of their income for the federal services they received.

"This is the price we as Americans must be willing to pay to continue living in the greatest country on earth," Bench continued, "and if you anti-progressive twits don't like it you can move to Mexico, you cheapskate bastards - we can do without your kind in my country."

It is for a good cause, and percent increase is a horrible argument - statistics! - so I guess we'd all be OK with that.

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said, but it sure was a funny piece of writing!!!

AppStFan76
March 31st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Sorry to bring this post back Appaholic, just didnt want to start another thread for this info. Season tickets on sale tomorrow.

My question...anyone know how much they are going to be? Dont know that I've seen that anywhere and they dont say anywhere in the article.

http://goasu.com/article/11755/

biggie
March 31st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Sorry to bring this post back Appaholic, just didnt want to start another thread for this info. Season tickets on sale tomorrow.

My question...anyone know how much they are going to be? Dont know that I've seen that anywhere and they dont say anywhere in the article.

http://goasu.com/article/11755/
$150 per season ticket is what I've seen/heard everywhere. Then your seating is based on renewel vs new and the amount of money you contribute.

Should be getting mine tomorrow.

Saint3333
March 31st, 2008, 03:59 PM
$160 a piece, $10 facility enhancement fee. See link for seating and packages:

http://www.goasu.com/page/13/

BeauFoster
March 31st, 2008, 06:30 PM
$160 a piece, $10 facility enhancement fee. See link for seating and packages:

http://www.goasu.com/page/13/

And, of course, renewals get priority for the seats that they held last season.

appsfan
March 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
And, of course, renewals get priority for the seats that they held last season.

That is true assuming they are at the proper Yosef Club level for the section they are in ...

BeauFoster
March 31st, 2008, 08:02 PM
That is true assuming they are at the proper Yosef Club level for the section they are in ...

Co-rectum-undo! I made my pledge today! xthumbsupx