PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook scholies

Hansel
September 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Non-scholarship football is passé at Stony Brook University. It belongs in the memory bank of a rickety grandstand, port-a-potties and a decaying field built on a landfill. What used to pass as a quaint Currier & Ives portrait needs a bold brushstroke. The $22 million, four-year old stadium needs a new product - the old one is outmoded.

Stony Brook offers athletic scholarships in every sport except football. It may be classified as I-AA, but it is playing Division III-like football compared with the 63-scholarship version played at other institutions, such as Hofstra.

The non-scholarship game prospered when every program in the area - Hofstra, Post, St. John's, USMMA - competed at that level. There was no basis of comparison to the real college football unless it was the ones being televised. It was great while it lasted, but former Hofstra president James Shuart elevated the sport nearly 15 years ago when he steered his football program toward scholarships.

Now, Stony Brook needs to do the same. Substitute Delaware, New Hampshire and UMass for St. Francis, Marist and Sacred Heart. The magazine U.S. News & World Report ranked Stony Brook as one of the top 100 universities in the country. Football is off the chart in the other direction and it pains those on campus.

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/college/ny-spbrook284445922sep28,0,7879370.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Husky Alum
September 29th, 2005, 12:57 AM
There was some discussion on the America East (SBU's athletic conference for everything but football) about a comment their jackoff AD Fiore made about wanting to go I-A in football.

Fiore is a blowhard who made a comment this year that he wanted Stony Brook to be like the Yankees of the America East (he said he wanted SBU to be the "Evil Empire of the AE". Small problem, SBU hasn't won squat in anything.

The new commissioner of the AE (Pat Nero, former AD of Maine) campaigned for the job on the basis that he would bring both football and hockey to the AE, so Albany and SBU scholy football isn't that far fetched at the I-AA level. Why the AE teams in the A-10 for football (Maine and UNH) would bail for the AE without an autobid amazes me, but hey, let Nero dream.

Here's the link to the AE Board for thee discussion about SBU's I-A aspirations..

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=198818

GannonFan
September 29th, 2005, 09:15 AM
There was some discussion on the America East (SBU's athletic conference for everything but football) about a comment their jackoff AD Fiore made about wanting to go I-A in football.

Fiore is a blowhard who made a comment this year that he wanted Stony Brook to be like the Yankees of the America East (he said he wanted SBU to be the "Evil Empire of the AE". Small problem, SBU hasn't won squat in anything.

Didn't Stony Brook win the AEast baseball title in 2004? I thought they even beat top seeded Maine in Maine for that title.

henfan
September 29th, 2005, 09:38 AM
The America East isn't going to have football so long as the I-AA schools in that conference allow I-AAA schools to steer their ship.

Too bad too. If not for the objections of Vermont and Hartford, the league would probably look something like this today:

http://www.uvm.edu/~tpatters/athletics/confexpand_files/frame.htm

If several things lined up in their favor, the AEC could still have its own football league someday. None of that's even remotely possible until Albany and Stony Brook make the huge leap to full scholarship football. That seems a long way off right now.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Too bad too. If not for the objections of Vermont and Hartford, the league would probably look something like this today
Too bad for the AEC, but thank God for us! We'd have even more non-football playing members in our conference.

Boston University
Drexel University
University of Hartford
University of Vermont
George Mason University
Old Dominion University
Virginia Commonwealth University

henfan
September 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah but we'd also have more football schools too. UNH and UMaine are more than fair trades for having to deal with I-AAA BU, Hartford and Vermont, IMO.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah but we'd also have more football schools too. UNH and UMaine are more than fair trades for having to deal with I-AAA BU, Hartford and Vermont, IMO.
How about we just trade VCU, UNC-W and DU to the AE for UNH and Maine. :D We can keep ODU, GMU and GSU in case they decide to persue (or continue to in the case of ODU) football.

henfan
September 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM
89', it's a deal!

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 11:13 AM
If only we were commissioners, think of how easy this would be! :D

Granite
September 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
How about we just trade VCU, UNC-W and DU to the AE for UNH and Maine. :D We can keep ODU, GMU and GSU in case they decide to persue (or continue to in the case of ODU) football.

I'd do that deal in a second! :)

Husky Alum
September 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Granite, tell Marty Scarano to get off of his arse and you'd be in the CAA already.

UNH has no one to blame for not being in the CAA but Marty. The offer has been on the table more than once, and UNH would be in the CAA today, if Scarano had the gonads to do it.

If UNH bit, here's your CAA football league

NU
UNH
Hofstra
Towson
Delaware
W&M
JMU
Villanova

If you wanted 9 for scheduling, add Richmond. You'll have 10 when ODU joins.

That leaves UMass, URI, and Maine with Albany and Stony Brook and another friend for AE football.

No affiliates, just full member CAA football.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Think MaineJeff would go for it too? :p

Husky Alum
September 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM
MJ would, but his former AD wouldn't.

Remember guys (and women), the new Commish of the AE is the former AD of Maine (Patrick Nero) and he's been hired with the promise to bring football to the AE. That's his motive, and I've got to think that Maine will be a necessity for this guy to save face.

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM
MJ would, but his former AD wouldn't.

Remember guys (and women), the new Commish of the AE is the former AD of Maine (Patrick Nero) and he's been hired with the promise to bring football to the AE. That's his motive, and I've got to think that Maine will be a necessity for this guy to save face.

Husky - just for my reference where has it been said or published that the AE wants to sponsor football?

The quote I have read from Nero was "The biggest challenge is our long-range plan. Who are we going to align with? What sports are we going to sponsor? I'd like to add some schools, but that's probably two or three years down the road." He did not mention FB specifically, but if that were so I think it would make Central Connecticut a very viable option for AE expansion.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM
How about we just trade VCU, UNC-W and DU to the AE for UNH and Maine. We can keep ODU, GMU and GSU in case they decide to persue (or continue to in the case of ODU) football.

Ditto!

Don't jump all over me HuskyAlum, you know I put my :twocents: worth in at every opportunity with folks in Durham! ;) :)

JMHO, but a CAA that has a significant majority of football schools would be of more interest to UNH, Maine included would be a much easier sell in Durham and GaState with football would ease the geography shock of Atlanta in Durham. And some of the AE Football proposals talked about should make protect UNH Football in the CAA as a number one priority in Durham.

Also, anyone who has read my old posts knows that I've always felt that BU and UHart would make a great travel partner pair with non-football schools like Drexel and VCU, as well as with ODU, GMU and GSU if they continue to be non-football schools.

Granite
September 29th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Granite, tell Marty Scarano to get off of his arse and you'd be in the CAA already.

UNH has no one to blame for not being in the CAA but Marty. The offer has been on the table more than once, and UNH would be in the CAA today, if Scarano had the gonads to do it.

If UNH bit, here's your CAA football league

NU
UNH
Hofstra
Towson
Delaware
W&M
JMU
Villanova

If you wanted 9 for scheduling, add Richmond. You'll have 10 when ODU joins.

That leaves UMass, URI, and Maine with Albany and Stony Brook and another friend for AE football.

No affiliates, just full member CAA football.

There are a number of people here in Durham who would support that move, including me. I'm never quite sure why it hasn't gotten beyond the discussion phase, because the people I talk to really value the academic profile that would come with joining the CAA as a full member. I know that UNH really loves UD and Hofstra, particularly. There was a time where the prevailing opinion was that UNH wouldn't do anything without Maine, which might be what has scuttled these discussions in the past (UNHAlum, does this sound right to you?) But I know that my contacts - especially those who are linked to both the academic and athletic side of things - support a move to the Colonial. My best guess is that this issue has yet to be fully decided, especially here at UNH.

And I absolutely hate the idea of America East football, especially the various proposals that others have floated around the internets.

colgate13
September 29th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Ah, Marty Scarano... he did a long stint at Colgate and was there when I was. Is he doing a good job or do people not like him?

blukeys
September 29th, 2005, 09:41 PM
There are a number of people here in Durham who would support that move, including me. I'm never quite sure why it hasn't gotten beyond the discussion phase, because the people I talk to really value the academic profile that would come with joining the CAA as a full member. I know that UNH really loves UD and Hofstra, particularly. There was a time where the prevailing opinion was that UNH wouldn't do anything without Maine, which might be what has scuttled these discussions in the past (UNHAlum, does this sound right to you?) But I know that my contacts - especially those who are linked to both the academic and athletic side of things - support a move to the Colonial. My best guess is that this issue has yet to be fully decided, especially here at UNH.

And I absolutely hate the idea of America East football, especially the various proposals that others have floated around the internets.

I would love to see UNH as a full member in CAA. We are developing a good rivalry in football and it would be good to extend that to all sports. Keep in mind the CAA in sports other than football is much more competitive than the AE especially basketball.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 29th, 2005, 10:25 PM

Unfortunately, I have just a few discussions with folks in Durham during the off-season and this year the basketball coach topic took precedence. I can say that from discussions over the years, I also heard that a segment of folks at UNH really wanted the association with UD, W&M and JMU. And I think many also view NU, Hofstra and Towson as similar athletic programs as well as like minded institutions.

Despite the relative ease of travel to Atlanta (non stop flights from Boston), I sensed a philosophical issue with a conference footprint that deep into the South. Virtually no interaction with GMU, VCU, ODU and UNC-W over the years I believe was an issue as well.

Another key factor IMHO was that the last CAA expansion offer occurred before last football season. You've got to admit that everybody was questioning UNH's ability to compete consistently in the A-10. Without football having made the progress they did last year, maybe Marty couldn't muster the support for additional travel for the Olympic sports? HuskyAlum, you know the decision wasn't Marty's to make on his own, the Prez also had to be sold on the idea and UNH had a brand new president.

Granite, I completely agree with you on the AE Football proposals. To me, none of them are viable because you don't have 8-9 football schools. Frankly, I think you need 9 teams for scheduling, especially UNH with so few bus games available for OOC. I'd really like to have AE loyalty to Albany and Stony Brook because they are like minded institutions in the Northeast footprint, but the recent extension with the NEC just doesn't give me confidence especially when added to the less than 9 team proposals and no auto-bid available for new leagues.

If UNH is true to their word about wanting to play I-AA football at the highest level, then it has to be with as many schools as possible out of the current A-10. And as I see it, that can only happen with CAA Football. That's why I'm hoping that a Big East/A-10 realignment results in a couple of CAA non-football schools moving to join other non-football schools. Then the CAA can evolve into a football majority league with high academic standards (for athletes as well as non-athletes) with mainly public institutions. Obviously, I'd rather have Maine coming along too, but if I have to choose a football future with Maine, UMass, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, Central CT, etc. vs. one with NU, HU, UD, TU, JMU, W&M, etc. then I'd choose the CAA. JMHO, but it includes more full scholarship schools that have the same philosophy as UNH.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Granite, I completely agree with you on the AE Football proposals. To me, none of them are viable because you don't have 8-9 football schools. Frankly, I think you need 9 teams for scheduling, especially UNH with so few bus games available for OOC. I'd really like to have AE loyalty to Albany and Stony Brook because they are like minded institutions in the Northeast footprint, but the recent extension with the NEC just doesn't give me confidence especially when added to the less than 9 team proposals and no auto-bid available for new leagues.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the NEC "extension" through 2010 of Albany and Stony Brook. The soonest an AE football full-scholly conference could be put together is 2010, and IMVHO both schools signed their agreements with this in mind.

The auto-bid thing will get reviewed at some point - it's going to come to a head sooner or later. The Great West is looking like a dynamite conference - how long will the powers-that-be continue with the charade that they have to earn a playoff spot? As much as it pains everyone for me to bring it up, eventually I-AA will have to go to a 24-team playoff.

With a commish who seems to be dedicated to bringing I-AA football to the AE, why not have Maine/UNH in an AE conference in all sports including football? There would be a real tangible cost savings, and little to no disruption to the rest of your sports.

Why else, aside from football, would UNH make a move? More and more it's looking a lateral basketball move, and for other sports IMVHO it's a financial disaster. I can't think you're serious about flying your women's volleyball team down to Georgia St. (or wherever it is) for the CAA championships, which is what full CAA membership would entail. And soccer, and basketball, and tennis, and and and. I thought N'Eastern bolting for the CAA was a dumb idea, and for UNH it's an even worse idea IMVHO.

If UNH is true to their word about wanting to play I-AA football at the highest level, then it has to be with as many schools as possible out of the current A-10. And as I see it, that can only happen with CAA Football. That's why I'm hoping that a Big East/A-10 realignment results in a couple of CAA non-football schools moving to join other non-football schools. Then the CAA can evolve into a football majority league with high academic standards (for athletes as well as non-athletes) with mainly public institutions. Obviously, I'd rather have Maine coming along too, but if I have to choose a football future with Maine, UMass, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, Central CT, etc. vs. one with NU, HU, UD, TU, JMU, W&M, etc. then I'd choose the CAA. JMHO, but it includes more full scholarship schools that have the same philosophy as UNH.

You are forgetting ODU, GS, and any other schools that are starting in the CAA in football. It's a delicate balance with the CAA North and South, and the expansion may be wrecking the balance. If it was going to stay the status quo, sure. But at least 1, possibly 2 or 3 teams will be joining the CAA, with possibly 1 or more teams jettisoning themselves to other leagues.

You're looking at the CAA *now* and saying "gee, I'd like to stay in a league with 4 teams that made the I-AA playoffs." As hard as it is to believe, that will not always be the case. In 2010, an AE conference could make the remainder of the CAA look like chumps.

henfan
September 30th, 2005, 08:57 AM
You're looking at the CAA *now* and saying "gee, I'd like to stay in a league with 4 teams that made the I-AA playoffs."

In fact, I don't think any of the reasoned responses from the UNH fans have indicated that. It sounds more like academic considerations are every bit as much a part of the equation as competitive issues... not that the AEC's current Olympic sport conference falls short there- to the contrary. There just doesn't seem to be enough attractive D-I academic/athletic partners out there to fill out an 8-9 team football league.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2005, 04:37 PM
In fact, I don't think any of the reasoned responses from the UNH fans have indicated that. It sounds more like academic considerations are every bit as much a part of the equation as competitive issues... not that the AEC's current Olympic sport conference falls short there- to the contrary. There just doesn't seem to be enough attractive D-I academic/athletic partners out there to fill out an 8-9 team football league.

But it seems like football is the primary consideration:

I'd really like to have AE loyalty to Albany and Stony Brook because they are like minded institutions in the Northeast footprint, but the recent extension with the NEC just doesn't give me confidence... If UNH is true to their word about wanting to play I-AA football at the highest level, then it has to be with as many schools as possible out of the current A-10... if I have to choose a football future with Maine, UMass, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, Central CT, etc. vs. one with NU, HU, UD, TU, JMU, W&M, etc. then I'd choose the CAA. JMHO, but it includes more full scholarship schools that have the same philosophy as UNH.

So, basically Albany and Stony Brook are "unattractive", but NU, Towson and Hofstra are "attractive". The real sotto voce reason is NU, Towson and Hofstra play in a FB conference that had 4 I-AA playoff bids last year.

Yes, there has been talk of academic matching on this thread, but when push comes to shove, it's about football, no matter what it really costs for UNH's athletic department. I happen to think Northeastern is going to be paying out the ear when it comes to CAA full membership, without much benefit, and as I mentioned earlier, for UNH I feel it's an even worse idea. Of course, if folks like their students to "pay whatever it takes to get in the most competitive conference", to me that smacks too much of I-A, not I-AA where theoretically the whole philosiphy is based on "division I, but with cost containment."

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM
LFN, you've been promoting AEC Football for months now, but there is more than geography required to build a solid conference. And you've consistently missed the history of football and America East. No matter how badly Delaware wanted football, they couldn't get it sponsored by the AEC despite having Maine, UNH, Northeastern, Hofstra and Towson as football partners. It was scuttled by the non football schools. Today only Maine and UNH play full scholarship football and Albany and Stony Brook want to get there. That's much less leverage and now there are more non football schools with Binghamton and UMBC joining Vermont and Hartford as well as BU now clearly in the non football camp. JMHO, but Nero has a monumental effort ahead of him.

Even if he gets the AEC to sponsor football, there are still only four all sports members playing football! And many of the names mentioned as potential expansion candidates would significantly alter the type of league that AE has become. Currently, other than Hartford and BU the schools are mid-sized publics. All the schools mentioned other than Central CT have been smaller, private institutions. And CCSU has already been denied entrance into AE once because the presidents didn't feel that CCSU fit the academic mold of the AE institutions.

I have UNH friends who think I'm over anxious about this topic, but I think UNH will have to mortgage its football future in the next 5-7 years. Now I thought I read that the NEC continuation was through 2011. I seriously doubt the NEC will allow Albany and Stony Brook to ramp up to full scholly before 2011. Therefore, you're asking UNH (and Maine) to mortgage their football future on 5-7 schools upgrading to full scholarship AFTER 2011. And with 3-5 schools that I wouldn't describe as like minded.

And if the number is only 5, then we're also relying on associate membership for UMass and URI. Sorry, but I'm not recommending this mortgage on either school. My days at UNH started way back in 1968 and I've never felt that either UMass or URI had as stringent academic standards for athletes as UNH. In addition, despite their proximity there are very few games between these schools in the Olympic sports. UMass and URI joined the A-10 for all sports years ago and at that time they really broke ranks with the New England schools. I sure don't feel that UMass or URI have much loyalty to either UNH or Maine. UMass knows Hockey East will continue with them no matter what happens with other sports. And UMass could run off to I-A by the end of the decade.

UNH is raising funds for a $30 Million enhancement to the football facilities. Without a conference that has 9 stable football members, that's a heck of a mortgage to risk on multiple schools upgrading and/or associate members staying loyal. And at the same time, the CAA football league may have 9 members by the end of the decade if ODU, GMU and GSU all follow through on their football discussions. To guarantee being a permanent member of CAA Football, UNH may have to make a decision long before it's known whether all the full scholarship upgrades are really going to happen. That's why I felt Albany and Stony Brook making progress with their upgrade this decade was so important.

I understand the implications of the expanded footprint on the Olympic sports, but at the same time I've heard more than once that UNH wants to make football and basketball a second tier of flagship sports (after ice hockey). You've got to put the best product as possible out on the field if you want to draw fans. To me that means you protect football. And the best protection I see is the CAA. And as Henfan described, there are more like minded, football institutions in the CAA than the AE proposals. I hope Maine feels the same way.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2005, 05:06 PM
UNH, I see your point a lot better now. I do agree with you that it does take more than geography to make a successful conference. I also see some of the little rifts that might open in an AE all-sport conference.

I agree that UMass and URI feel like different institutions than UM and UNH, but as associate members they would seem to be naturals for an AE conference should UNH and UM split. They have no tie to the CAA, since they're associate members. (To a lesser extent Villanova is the same way, but they are Delaware's biggest CAA rival and likely would stay.) I've always felt that UMass, UM, UNH and URI, if they move, would basically always move as a unit, and if one doesn't sign up none would.

I also agree that you're looking at a lot of if's. If CCSU is accepted as a full member. If Albany/SB comes on board with schollies. That's seven. Holy Cross bolts, and, say, Monmouth joins? That's 9, but a lot dominoes would have to fall into place. As an institution, are you willing to take that risk?

I definitely see your point.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM
But it seems like football is the primary consideration:

So, basically Albany and Stony Brook are "unattractive", but NU, Towson and Hofstra are "attractive". The real sotto voce reason is NU, Towson and Hofstra play in a FB conference that had 4 I-AA playoff bids last year.

Yes, there has been talk of academic matching on this thread, but when push comes to shove, it's about football, no matter what it really costs for UNH's athletic department. I happen to think Northeastern is going to be paying out the ear when it comes to CAA full membership, without much benefit, and as I mentioned earlier, for UNH I feel it's an even worse idea. Of course, if folks like their students to "pay whatever it takes to get in the most competitive conference", to me that smacks too much of I-A, not I-AA where theoretically the whole philosiphy is based on "division I, but with cost containment."

How did you make that quantum leap????? I in no way insinuated that Albany nor Stony Brook were "unattractive". I thought I clearly stated that full scholarship teams at Albany and Stony Brook would be great partners with UNH. I want UNH to be aligned with every school in the Northeast footprint that plays full scholarship football and agrees to academic standards for athletes. Why would UNH not want to be aligned with two quality schools that would be bus trips?

Everything I'm trying to present is a balance of staying with like minded institutions versus cost. I just feel strongly that full scholarship football is a huge factor in being like minded. IMHO, the Big East never stabilized because they never really dealt with the football issue. As much as Binghamton, UMBC and Vermont are like minded from virtually every point of view, the fact that they don't play football means their athletic department has a completely different focus and concerns.

Did you notice that multiple, current A-10 football schools were not included in this discussion? Villanova, UMass, URI and Richmond are not candidates for an all sports league. Full scholarship Albany and Stony Brook would be more attractive. Northeastern, Hofstra and Towson were selected because they are full scholarship, within the footprint, agree to academic standards.

Believe me, if there was a VIABLE America East solution for football, I'd be all for it. Nobody has put any alternatives on the table that I'd bank the future on. I want 8 other football members for four home and away games every year, I'd PREFER them to be public, I'd PREFER them to be all sports members. I STRONGLY prefer them to have similar academic standards. How do any of the proposals allow UNH to continue playing at the same level as today? How do any of the proposals truly get classified as viable?

And you know, I'm doing nothing different than all the PL folks who have strong opinions about who they want as future PL members.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM
UNH, see my above post. I appreciate your position - someone must have peed in my coffee this morning. :) I probably did make a quantum leap there.

You've got the whole thing pretty much pegged. I just don't like the CAA becoming a I-AA conference reaching from Maine to Georgia with the idea of "cost containment" is basically all.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 30th, 2005, 08:18 PM
UNH, see my above post. I appreciate your position - someone must have peed in my coffee this morning. :) I probably did make a quantum leap there.

You've got the whole thing pretty much pegged. I just don't like the CAA becoming a I-AA conference reaching from Maine to Georgia with the idea of "cost containment" is basically all.

No worries....I was writing my second reply with a couple of interruptions and never saw your second reply. Hadn't had dinner and got a little fired up. ;) :)

Actually, I agree on the ME to GA footprint. I truly hope that when the dust settles the footprint is ME to VA or NC max. For UNH anything close to Philly and Baltimore isn't bad with non stop Southwest flights out of Manchester. And don't forget current AE travel:

UMBC --> Towson is a wash.
Stony Brook --> Hofstra is a wash.
Binghamton --> over 5 hour bus ride, flight to BWI then bus to JMU might be close to a wash.

Delaware = Used to do it when the Hens were AE and easy Philly access on SW so no big deal.

The other factor to my theory is that football can bring in resources that probably only basketball can match. And I have incredible faith in Bill Herrion, but until he proves that he can consistently attract more than 3K, then football has to be the driver of the UNH AD. Hockey revolves in its own universe which is why I call football the driver. It really isn't, but in terms of the rest of the AD, it is. If I can get the facility enhancement funded and increase resources by bringing football into a conference with an expanded footprint and many like minded institutions, then I bite that bullet. Remember, this is JMHO.

Husky Alum
September 30th, 2005, 09:26 PM
NU never said it was going to the CAA for cost containment. NU's student profile is rapidly shifting towards the mid atlantic region. In fact, NU had as many applicants from VA, PA, DC, and Delaware as it did from New England and NY State this past year.

The school decided it didn't want to be a "Northeast" school - no pun intended, and the academic profile of the CAA is quite good.

Does it cost more to be in the CAA, yep, it does. Is NU funding it, yep, it is. Remeber though, the CAA has more revenue sources than the AE, so NU's share of the revenue pie is bigger than it was from a smaller pie in the AE. I saw what the actual numbers were for incremental travel costs, and it wasn't what I thought it would be.

UNHAlum drew an analogy that I use all the time when people say NU is incurring more costs to play in the CAA with the travel partners. They have an additional trip to Georgia to play GSU and UNCW (same weekend) and another trip to play VCU and ODU, the AE had just as much travel to "worse" destinations by bus.

Timewise, it's taking less time to fly to GSU than it does to bus to Maine. Cost wise, Airtran has $49 round trips if you buy 14 days in advance. Is NU flying first class, nope, but with Airtran making a big play in Boston, and Southwest in Manchester and Providence, the costs aren't as staggering as one would think. When NU played UMBC last year in Baltimore, I think someone told me NU paid $19 or $29 per person out of Providence for a r/t flight because of deals the school had with Southwest.

As UNHAlum points out, NU was already going to Delaware, Drexel, Towson and Hofstra when the AE was a 10 team league. Travel to Binghamton was 5 hours, easy, and Maine was 4 when it didn't snow. We're talking a couple extra days of missed classes in the winter semester, that's a factor.