PDA

View Full Version : #6 James Madison at #23 Hofstra

JMU Duke Dog
September 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM
This one shall be quite an interesting matchup to say the least and will set the tone for A10 play for both teams. Today I read that Hofstra is favored to win this game by one point.

JMU Duke Dog
September 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Here is an article from yesterday's Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record that related to this upcoming game between JMU and Hofstra.

Air Defense Key For Dukes This Week
Madison Faces Conference Road Test

by Mike Barber

This week's test is all about passing - pass defense that is.

James Madison's suspect secondary will face the Atlantic 10's most pass-happy offense Saturday when the Dukes open their conference football schedule at Hofstra.

"I think we'll be better," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Monday at his weekly press conference. "We just have to get better at pass defense. We have to get back better and we have to rush better."

The Dukes (2-1) moved up to No. 6 in The Sports Network's Division I-AA poll Monday despite being off last weekend. Hofstra (2-1) fell from 17th to 23rd after losing 44-41 in overtime at No. 7 Furman.

This is the second of three straight games for Hofstra against Top 10 foes - all of whom were in the I-AA playoffs last year. The Pride travels to No. 5 Delaware on Oct. 8.

For the Dukes, it's their second road game of the year and a chance to correct the mistake they made in a loss at Coastal Carolina - coming out emotionally flat.

"It's difficult to play at Hofstra," Matthews said. "They have a very nice stadium and a good team. They don't get large crowds there. It can be almost like a spring scrimmage up there sometimes. We'll be challenged to play in front of not a lot of people and see how hard we play."

But the biggest challenge of the weekend will be to slow down Hofstra's quick-strike passing game. The Pride ranks second in the A-10 in passing offense, averaging 335.7 yards per game, and second in scoring offense, putting up 44 points an outing, behind only JMU's 49.3 mark.

Matthews is hoping defensive tackle Ryan Bache's return from shoulder surgery will help JMU's pass rush. Bache will play inside in a rotation with Demetrius Shambley and Chuck Suppon. Frank Cobbs, who had been splitting time between tackle and defensive end, will spend more time rushing from the outside against Hofstra, along with Kevin Winston and Isai Bradshaw.

Madison's inability to pressure opposing quarterbacks was a key reason the Dukes' pass defense struggled in a 31-27 loss at Coastal Carolina on Sept. 10.

"I lot of times when I say pass defense, people think that's just the secondary," Matthews said. "It all works together. We did not rush the passer very well there [at Coastal Carolina] and we did not cover very good."

Most of the coverage problems centered around one spot - JMU's second cornerback. Neither Adam Ford nor Leon Mizelle has played well this season and Saturday, against the league's top receiving corps, that probably will have to change if the Dukes hope to contain the Pride.

Monday, Matthews said Mizelle, a 5-foot-10, 175-pound senior, will start. With safety Nick Adams out for the year with a knee injury, Matthews' options in the secondary are limited.

"The two guys, they're going to play there all year," Matthews said of Mizelle and Ford. "We'll just see how it goes."

Matthews wouldn't rule out moving an explosive offensive player like backup quarterback Rodney Landers or Ardon Bransford to cornerback, but suggested it was unlikely.

"You never say never. You don't know what each week is going to bring," Matthews said, before adding he hasn't given up on Mizelle and Ford. "You've got to give those guys a chance. We've always done that. I wouldn't hesitate if I thought that's what we need to win, but I think those guys will be fine."

Against Furman last weekend, the Pride gained 314 of their 381 yards through the air. Quarterback Anton Clarkson went 27-of-40 for 314 yards and three touchdowns. But Clarkson was sacked three times by the Paladins and has been dropped seven times in three games this season. By comparison, JMU has allowed its quarterback, Justin Rascati, to be sacked only twice.

And if you think an All-American safety won't see action on special teams, think again.

In Madison's last game, a 65-7 spanking of Delaware State, the Dukes struggled with their kick coverage. Matthews said he's moved some front-line players to kickoff coverage. Among those who have practiced with the unit: All-American safety Tony LeZotte.

"Tony just wants everything. Tony doesn't want to leave the field," Matthews said "He's been working on all the special teams. I'm not sure how much he'll do there Saturday."

Matthews also said freshman Brad Davis, who moved from fullback to linebacker last week, has moved ahead of fellow true freshman D.J. Brandon as Akeem Jordan's primary backup at inside linebacker.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Hofstra will have a screaming throng of about 3500 crazed "fans" there.

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hofstra will have a screaming throng
I've got to start reading more slowly. :eek:

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Hofstra 41
JMU 40

putter
September 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
This will come down to whose defense is stronger, and from what I have heard it is JMU at this point.

Hofstra - 17
JMU - 27

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I'll take the Pride in a close one.

JMU Duke Dog
September 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN3981930.htm

No. 6 James Madison (2-1) at No. 23 Hofstra (2-1), 3:30

Hofstra’s three-game stretch that includes Furman and the last two national champions hits game two, and both the Pride and James Madison are in need of a win to start the A-10 season after losing a non-conference game to a I-AA opponent. Hofstra’s passing game will give any team trouble, and the Pride are going to light up the scoreboard no matter who they play this season. Stopping the James Madison running attack is another story all together. The Dukes are averaging 273 yards per game and 5.8 yards per carry on the ground this season, and ran all over the Pride defense in a 31-21 win last season. Maurice Fenner and Alvin Banks combined for 266 yards rushing, and the Dukes controlled the ball for more than 38 minutes. Keeping the ball out of Anton Clarkson’s hands will be key again, because the Hofstra offense can score in a hurry. Clarkson and wide receivers Marques Colston, DeVale Ellis and Charles Sullivan will provide a major test for a James Madison secondary that was picked apart by Coastal Carolina in a 31-27 loss on Sept. 10. Like many Atlantic 10 games, this game should come down to the wire. The Dukes won close game after close game in last year’s regular season and playoffs, and Justin Rascati and company know how to close the deal in the fourth quarter. While Hofstra is talented, the Pride haven’t been as fortunate to finish out their close matchups against good teams, as evidenced by last week’s 44-41, double overtime, loss to Furman. Until either team proves otherwise, expect those trends to continue and James Madison to win the game in the final minutes of the fourth quarter.

Prediction: James Madison 34, Hofstra 27

I do not agree 100% with some of these statements as JMU in 2004 was able to win close games at the end but in 2005 JMU lost at CCU in the final minutes of that game. The 2005 team has not yet shown that they can win close games at the end against good I-AA teams.

CatFan22
September 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
JMU - 37
Hofstra - 24

catbob
September 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I have a gut feeling that Hofstra is going to pull of a W here, playing at home and throwing all over the place.

Hofstra should get up quickly and force JMU out of their running gameplan.

42-38 Pride

blackfordpu
September 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I too am picking Hofsra in a close one.

Hofsra - 24
JMU - 21

Will this one be nationally televised?

Umass74
September 28th, 2005, 08:44 PM

The JMU game notes states that it will be televised on the Madison Square Garden Network. I checked Dish Network and the listing for MSG channel does show JMU-Hofstra.

I get MSG network on my Dish Satellite syetem. But for some reason, MSG is blacked out 90% of the time.

I have no idea why.

blur2005
September 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm saying 35-31 JMU. Hofstra will pass all day, but JMU will manage to outscore them with a far superior running game, keeping Hofstra's explosive offense off the field just long enough to hang on.

OL FU
September 29th, 2005, 07:15 AM
I just want Hofstra's offense to score at least 28 points in regulations as they did on FU. Would make me feel better :)

SoCon48
September 29th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Have to wonder if Hofstra's run defense is better than Coastal's?

JMU Duke Dog
September 30th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Here is an article from Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record related to tomorrow's big game.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=868&CHID=3

Hofstra QB Eagerly Awaits JMU
The Oregon State transfer has now lost twice to the Dukes. He hopes to end the skid Saturday.

By Mike Barber

Football moved Anton Clarkson’s family from California to Canada. A coaching change prompted Clarkson to transfer from Oregon State to Hofstra. Injuries forced him onto the field as a redshirt freshman.

But this year, Clarkson is finally in control and what Hofstra’s junior quarterback wants more than anything is a win over James Madison.

The Pride (2-1) hosts the defending Division I-AA champion Dukes (2-1) at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

"I’d by lying to you if I told you this game hasn’t been on my mind since my last game in November," the 21-year-old Clarkson said by phone after practice Thursday. "I really don’t care what the score is, 3-2. I just want to get that ‘w.’ Get this monkey off my back."

The monkey is two consecutive losses to JMU, one by three points, the other by 10 points.

Clarkson arrived in Hempstead, N.Y., with I-A credentials. He decided to transfer from Oregon State after Dennis Erickson left to take the San Francisco 49ers job. The Los Angeles native was considering San Diego State and Hawaii, but Hofstra’s coaching staff got in touch with Clarkson’s father, former Canadian Football League quarterback Steve Clarkson.

The next thing he knew, Clarkson was on Long Island.

"Hofstra found me, actually," Clarkson said. "I was looking at San Diego State and Hawaii. The coaches called my father and I had known a little bit about them from [hearing about former Hofstra and NFL quarterback] Giovanni Carmazzi. I really didn’t think I was going to come here. It just kind of happened."

Clarkson transferred midway through preseason practice in 2003. Three games into the season, he was forced to start against the Dukes because Bobby Seck broke a hand in the opener against Marshall.

Against Madison, Clarkson completed 11 of 25 passes for 244 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in a 23-20 loss in Harrsionburg.

"I came in against JMU and I hardly knew the offense," Clarkson said. "This offense isn’t the easiest offense to pick up. Half my big plays weren’t even in the playbook; they were just me trying to make things happen."

Hofstra’s offense – a pass-happy run-and-shoot that coach Joe Gardi has strictly adhered to during his 16 years with the Pride – is more like the CFL offenses Clarkson’s father was a part of than most Atlantic 10 attacks, which are more run-based.

"A lot of people call it basketball on grass," Clarkson said. "We get a lot of fast breaks. It’s a fun offense to be in."

But Clarkson hasn’t had much fun in his two trips to Madison, coming away with losses both times.

Last year, with Seck sidelined again, Clarkson went 20-for-31 for 182 yards and two scores. He was picked off once, in the fourth quarter, sealing a 31-21 defeat at Bridgeforth.

"We threw Clarkson to the wolves two years in a row," Hofstra coach Joe Gardi said. "He’s a veteran now."

And now, the 6-foot, 225-pounder said he’s ready to lead the No. 23 Pride to victory over the No. 6 Dukes. In the offseason, Clarkson worked with his father, whose quarterback academy’s clients include Ben Rothlisberger and the Claussen brothers. He said he’s still got the raw athleticism that he used to get by on as a rookie, but now considers himself a polished passer.

"It’s night and day," Clarkson said. "I don’t even think I’m the same player."

So far this season, he’s 69-for-100 for 941 yards and eight touchdowns. He’s only thrown one interception.

But unlike many past Hofstra quarterbacks, Clarkson can hurt opposing defenses with his running ability, not just his arm. He’s second in the A-10 in total offense, averaging 355.7 yards per game passing and rushing.

Clarkson rushed seven times for 34 yards and a touchdown against Madison last year. In 2003, he ran 11 times for 39 yards.

"He’s a very good athlete," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said before his team left for metro New York Thursday. "He’s a little different than some guys they’ve had in the past ’cause he’s very mobile in the pocket."

JMU cornerback Clint Kent, who hauled in the game-clinching interception against Clarkson last year, said the Dukes are ready for that multi-faceted attack. But Kent said Clarkson has also developed into a skilled field general.

"He does the right things," Kent said. "He’s got scrambling ability. We just have to contain him."

Umass74
October 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM
It's 12:15 on Saterday. MSG channel is blacked out again up here in New Hampshire. :mad:

JMU Duke Dog
October 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM
Here is another article from Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=885&CHID=3

Dukes Gird For Air Assault
JMU plays Hofstra today in its Atlantic 10 opener.

By Mike Barber

The first time James Madison’s football team played on the road this year, it forgot to pack its intensity.

Don’t expect the Dukes – No. 6 in Division I-AA – to make the same mistake when they open their Atlantic 10 schedule at No. 23 Hofstra at 3:30 p.m. today in Hempstead, N.Y.

"It was tough down there," senior tackle Harry Dunn said of JMU’s 31-27 loss at Coastal Carolina. "I think we all know the feeling that we had down there and we don’t want that feeling again. Coming out flat, that won’t be a problem for us."

What could be a problem is slowing down Hofstra’s passing game. JMU (2-1) has been unable to find a capable cornerback to play opposite Clint Kent. Today, Leon Mizelle will get the start ahead of Adam Ford – and he probably will have his hands full.

The Pride rank second in the A-10 in passing offense, averaging 335.7 yards per game, and second in scoring offense, putting up 44 points an outing. JMU leads the league with 49.3 points per game.

Quarterback Anton Clarkson, 0-2 in his career against JMU, is 69-for-100 for 941 yards and eight touchdowns this year. He’s thrown only one interception.

And Clarkson is more mobile than the prototypical Hofstra quarterback, something JMU will have to account for today. He’s second in the A-10 in total offense, averaging 355.7 yards per game passing and rushing.

Hofstra (2-1) also boasts the A-10’s most productive receiving corps. Devale Ellis has 23 catches for 295 yards and two scores, while Marques Colston has 16 catches for 277 yards and four touchdowns.

Still, Clarkson thinks his receivers are under-appreciated nationally.

"I think the country’s about to see pretty soon," Clarkson, a transfer from Oregon State, said. "Our receiving corps, I would take over any receiving corps I’ve been around, and that goes for Oregon State. Our receivers are tremendous."

And they probably will be a tremendous challenge for JMU’s secondary, though Kent didn’t sound too worried this week.

"I love it," said Kent, who picked off Clarkson to help seal last year’s win. "That’s a great challenge. Hofstra’s probably got the two best receivers in the league, so I’m looking forward to the challenge."

Defensive tackle Ryan Bache’s return from shoulder surgery should help JMU’s pass rush. Bache will play inside in a rotation with Demetrius Shambley and Chuck Suppon. Frank Cobbs, who had been splitting time between tackle and defensive end, will spend more time rushing from the outside against Hofstra, along with Kevin Winston and Isai Bradshaw.

Pride coach Joe Gardi said JMU’s offensive front controlled the game last year in Harrisonburg, where the Dukes won 31-21. Madison piled up 494 total yards, including 306 on the ground.

"James Madison is going to be the same type of football team," Gardi said. "James Madison’s offensive line handled us last year. It was embarrassing"

Last year, tailback Maurice Fenner ran for 148 yards and three touchdowns, and Alvin Banks added 118.

But they were running behind an offensive line that developed into one of I-AA’s best. JMU had to replace three starters off that unit and this year’s group has yet to jell. Still, Gardi doesn’t think his defense will have it any easier this time around.

"I don’t see much of a drop-off," Gardi said. "They’re very strong and they’re very nasty, the O-line."

Nasty describes this portion of Hofstra’s schedule.

This is the second of three straight games against Top 10 foes – all of whom were in the I-AA playoffs last year – for Hofstra, which travels to No. 5 Delaware on Oct. 8.

Last Saturday, the Pride lost 44-41 in overtime to Furman, the team JMU beat in the 2004 quarterfinals.

For the Dukes, already saddled with a non-conference loss to Coastal, this game could be pivotal. JMU plays four of its tougher opponents this year on the road – Hofstra, Delaware, Massachusetts and William & Mary.

Starting with an A-10 win would be big, Matthews said.

"Everyone’s 0-0 now," Matthews said. "You look across our conference, I think a lot of questions will be answered about how good some people are. It’s very difficult to start with a team as good as Hofstra on the road, but that’s the way the conference schedule worked out."

Dunn agreed.

"It’s very important," he said. "We can’t afford to lose any games. There’s no room for error. You just can’t afford any losses in the A-10."

Umass74
October 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
My bad. Game starts at 3:00 :o

ISUMatt
October 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
The JMU game notes states that it will be televised on the Madison Square Garden Network. I checked Dish Network and the listing for MSG channel does show JMU-Hofstra.

I get MSG network on my Dish Satellite syetem. But for some reason, MSG is blacked out 90% of the time.

I have no idea why.

MSG 2:30 not blacked out in Illinois :)

TxSt02
October 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM
I too am picking Hofsra in a close one.

Hofsra - 24
JMU - 21

Watching it on Fox College Sports Atlantic right now...

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 04:47 PM
2:45 to go Q3, JMU 21, Hofstra 10. JMU possesion at their 2 yd line.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
64 yd TD pass to Ardon Bransford, 28-10 JMU in the 4th.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hofstra has a 99 yd kick-off return, but is called back due to holding. Phew.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:01 PM
INT JMU!

JMU in the Hofstra redzone.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM
2yd TD run by Alvin Banks. 35-10 JMU.

Tribe4SF
October 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Another JMU pick. Davis at QB for Hofstra. Clarkson banged up.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM
ANOTHER INT for JMU. Phil Minafield this time for hist first career int.

Mo Fenner runs to the 24.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:10 PM
Tribe4SF, you watching on TV or listening on the radio/web?

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:11 PM
Tahir Hinds TD!

Tribe4SF
Rascatti to Hinds - TD. Turning into a laugher.

Tribe4SF
Tribe4SF, you watching on TV or listening on the radio/web?

Listening on the web.

rcny46
October 1st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Hofstra has a 99 yd kick-off return, but is called back due to holding. Phew.

That is an absolute killer.BTW,I think JMU has the best team in the A-10,hands down.

Tribe4SF
October 1st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Dukes extablish themselves.

Also, CCU came back to beat SC State 24-23.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
It's all I'm relying on being in Holland ;) Mike Schickman and Kurt Dudley are enjoyable guys to listen to :D

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:16 PM
10:16 to go in the 4th, 42-10 JMU, JMU possesion.

JMU has switched to backup QB Rodney Landers.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM
JMU wins, 42-10.

Pantherpower
October 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM
How did you guys lose to CCU? Turnovers?? Flat?? Both???

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
That is an absolute killer.BTW,I think JMU has the best team in the A-10,hands down.
We will see how good they are in two weeks... they sure as hell wont put up that many points vs the nations best.

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM
I honestly have no clue....HU would beat CCU pretty easily.

We were flat, CCU scripted perfectly(including refusing to exchange game tape), they took athleticism out of the game, and we crapped the bed. I mean, we had MULTIPLE chances to close them out, including dropping an INT that hit our DB in the chest.

I hope CCU makes the playoffs....I want to play them again

Tod
October 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM
We will see how good they are in two weeks... they sure as hell wont put up that many points vs the nations best.

They're playing USC in two weeks? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course, USC seems to be well behind vs. ASU right now, so maybe it's Texas.

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 05:35 PM

I really dont mind you, but can you TRY not to be such a Homer?

Please, play Timmy Day against us....let London get a lot of reps.

28-7 last year, and we could have run it much higher.

I remain unimpressed......Colgate stopped you. Our D just held HU to 10 points, which is 34 below their average. Our D should have a field day

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM
They're playing USC in two weeks? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course, USC seems to be well behind vs. ASU right now, so maybe it's Texas.
We have the nations best defense!

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM
I really dont mind you, but can you TRY not to be such a Homer?

Please, play Timmy Day against us....let London get a lot of reps.

28-7 last year, and we could have run it much higher.

I remain unimpressed......Colgate stopped you. Our D just held HU to 10 points, which is 34 below their average. Our D should have a field day
Did you see what we did vs URIs offense last week? I take your responce as a no. If we have 8 turnovers vs you like we did vs colgate then we will lose. Timmy Day has been replaced for a reason. You dont have to worry about London getting alot of reps because he is a starter. Yes you did beat us 28-7 last year but we didnt have the nations best last year!

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 05:55 PM
That URI game doesn't look so solid now.... BROWN?????

I can say this, we may be finding out a lot about W&M.....Marshall looks bad, Liberty and VMI are equals, and URI doesn't seem like world beaters anymore. Keep in mind, W&M doesn't play D.

It will be a good game, no doubt.......but JMU answered some questions today. They certainly played like a top 5 team in the 2nd half

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
That URI game doesn't look so solid now.... BROWN?????

I can say this, we may be finding out a lot about W&M.....Marshall looks bad, Liberty and VMI are equals, and URI doesn't seem like world beaters anymore. Kepp in mind, W&M doesn't play D.

It will be a good game, no doubt.......but JMU answered some questions today. They certainly played like a top 5 team in the 2nd half

Oh yes it will be a great game... I am just glad I will see it in person... my only point before was that JMU will not score 40 points on our defense.

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Oh yes it will be a great game... I am just glad I will see it in person... my only point before was that JMU will not score 40 points on our defense.

I agree with that....unless UMass turns it over like they did for Colgate

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 06:07 PM
I agree with that....unless UMass turns it over like they did for Colgate
Even when we turned it over 8 times, we only gave up 17 points(14 their defense scored)... Currently we have only given up 1 TD and 3 fgs from offenses.

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 06:07 PM
JMU doesn't play the type of offense that scores 40 points a game against an A10 opponent, but due to INT's, we did against Hofstra.

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM
Even when we turned it over 8 times, we only gave up 17 points(14 their defense scored)... Currently we have only given up 1 TD and 3 fgs from offenses.

You really haven't faced a real Offense yet either...........

I will relate this fact....the UMass laid down and died at the end of the 3rd last year, completely mailed it in. That showed me a whole lot. That had better of changed. Colgate, URI, etc are not prolific offenses

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM
You really haven't faced a real Offense yet either...........

I will relate this fact....the UMass laid down and died at the end of the 3rd last year, completely mailed it in. That showed me a whole lot. That had better of changed. Colgate, URI, etc are not prolific offenses
You must not know URI then... The have scored 34, 56, 48, and 35 points in the games not against UMass. They average 500+ yards per game in games vs everyone else. We held them to 6 points and 250 yards.

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
You must not know URI then... The have scored 34, 56, 48, and 35 points in the games not against UMass. They average 500+ yards per game in games vs everyone else. We held them to 6 points and 250 yards.

Yet, URI has played no real D.....

HU put up 40+ on Furman on the road.....thats pretty good. Furman doesn't play D like W&M.

We held them to 10 points and 300 yards AT THEIR house

I am not trying to argue, merely pointing some things out. I have already said it will be a good game. I am worried about Maine this week.

umassfan
October 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Yet, URI has played no real D.....

HU put up 40+ on Furman on the road.....thats pretty good. Furman doesn't play D like W&M.

We held them to 10 points and 300 yards AT THEIR house

I am not trying to argue, merely pointing some things out. I have already said it will be a good game. I am worried about Maine this week.
What does URIs D have to do with their offense?

th0m
October 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
I am worried about Maine this week.

I am still worried about all of the A10 games to come, but I'm thinking that's normal. Hell, at this point, even Towson is turining a lot of heads.

JMU2004
October 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
What does URIs D have to do with their offense?

you misunderstood.....URI has not played against a defensive minded team. And, Brown's D played URI closer that the W&M D. URI was an unknown. Now we know. HU looks like a better team than URI.

Lets not turn this into a smack thread......It will be a good game. I am simply happy that we passed a tough road test with flying colors

umassfan
October 2nd, 2005, 04:04 AM
you misunderstood.....URI has not played against a defensive minded team. And, Brown's D played URI closer that the W&M D. URI was an unknown. Now we know. HU looks like a better team than URI.

Lets not turn this into a smack thread......It will be a good game. I am simply happy that we passed a tough road test with flying colors
Today I watched the Lehigh Harvard game and the JMU Hofstra game... I came away impressed with JMU but not so much impressed with Harvard and Hofstra. JMU showed many weaknesses in Hofstra. One was easy to spot in their defense. That was known before the game though. I came away as impressed in JMU as I did of URI when I watched them kill W&M. I think we match up well with JMUs offense. We have the number 1 pass D eff and give up the fewest yards per game and points per game in the nation. I dont think those stats will change after the Northeastern game. I cant wait to get home though and finally see games live... Any JMU fans or Northeastern fans making the trip to Amherst?

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
FOOTBALL DUKES BEAT HOFSTRA WITH BIG SECOND HALF
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3354.asp?TeamID=2&NewsID=3354

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Long scoring plays by junior tailback Maurice Fenner (Virginia Beach, Va./Bayside) and junior defensive tackle Chuck Suppon (Shavertown, Pa./Dallas) less than two minutes apart during the third quarter gave the James Madison football team control, and the Dukes went on to beat Hofstra 42-10 in Atlantic 10 Conference play Saturday.

After the teams battled to a 7-7 halftime tie, JMU scored on Fenner’s 66-yard run on its second offensive play of the final half and five plays later when Suppon returned an interception 33 yards for a score for a 21-7 Dukes advantage at 12:02 of the third period.

The win came in JMU’s Atlantic 10 opener and raised the Dukes’ overall record to 3-1. JMU, which entered the game ranked sixth in Division I-AA, has beaten Hofstra four straight times and raised its series record with the Pride to 5-2. Hofstra fell to 2-2 overall and to 0-1 in the Atlantic 10.

Junior tailback Alvin Banks (Hampton, Va./Hampton) ran for 14 yards on JMU’s initial play of the second half, and Fenner broke free around right end on the following snap to score with 13:50 left in the quarter.

Hofstra started from its 29 on the next series, and Suppon scored after junior linebacker Akeem Jordan (Harrisonburg, Va./Harrisonburg) deflected Hofstra quarterback Anton Clarkson’s screen pass attempt.

Hofstra ran 42 plays and gained 218 yards to JMU’s 24 plays and 165 yards during the first half, but JMU finished with a 502 yards (320 rushing, 182 passing) to 300 yards advantage. The Dukes limited Hofstra to 23 second-half plays.

Hofstra cut JMU’s lead to 21-10 on the possession after Suppon’s return, but the Dukes sealed the victory with three touchdowns during a 3:08 span of the final period.

Junior quarterback Justin Rascati (Gainesville, Fla./Buchholz) hit junior wide receiver Ardon Bransford (Harrisburg, Pa./Central Dauphin) on a 64-yard scoring pass at the 14:52 mark of the quarter; Banks ran two yards for a score at 13:56; and Rascati hit senior wide receiver Tahir Hinds (Freeport, N.Y./Freeport) on a 29-yard touchdown pass with 11:44 to play.

Bransford’s score capped a six-play, 98-yard drive; Banks scored two plays after Jordan returned an interception 18 yards to the Hofstra 12; and Hinds scored three plays after an interception by junior safety Phil Minafield (Gainesville, Fla./Buchholz).

JMU intercepted four passes overall for the first time in a game since 2001 (at Villanova) with probably the most important being senior cornerback Clint Kent’s (Macon, Ga./Westside) grab of a Clarkson throw into the end zone during the final minute of the first half. Hofstra drove to the JMU 10 after the Dukes missed on a field goal try that would have broken a 7-7 tie, but Kent stopped the threat by intercepting a Clarkson pass with 16 seconds left in the half.

“I thought the biggest play of the game was the interception at the end of the half,” said JMU coach Mickey Matthews. “We forced him out of the pocket.

“I thought we played well on defense; I thought we competed on defense,” Matthews said. “I think that speaks how well we were playing on defense (staying in the game until the second half) when we were sputtering on offense,” Matthews said.

Kent’s interception was the 11th of his career, allowing him to tie for second place on the Dukes’ all-time interceptions list and to match the team’s best career mark at the Division I level. Bob Logan (1975-78) holds the JMU career interceptions record of 13. Mike Thurman (1978-82) and John Stein (1993-96) also had 11 career interceptions, and Stein holds the team Division I record.

Rascati hit on eight of 10 passes for 174 yards and threw for three touchdowns in a game for the third time this season.

Fenner finished with 125 yards on 14 carries, his seventh career 100-yard rushing effort. Senior tailback Raymond Hines (Hyattsville, Md./High Point) ran nine times for 82 yards and had a career-long 66-yard carry, and Banks ran 16 times for 77 yards and a touchdown.

JMU got the game’s first points on its initial possession after forcing a Hofstra punt. The Dukes drove 86 yards in 10 plays and moved for four first downs before Rascati hit sophomore wide receiver L.C. Baker (Richmond, Va./Armstrong) on a 37-yard touchdown pass. The scoring catch was the first of Baker’s JMU’s career.

Hofstra pulled into a 7-7 tie with 3:02 left in the first half when Clarkson hit running back Terry Crenshaw on a four-yard touchdown pass to cap an eight-play, 80-yard drive.

The Pride’s scoring march came after JMU failed to convert on a 30-yard field attempt with 6:36 left in the half. Hines had set up the scoring chance with his 66-yard run to the Hofstra 20.

Clarkson hit in on 24 of 40 passes for 274 yards.

JMU’s victory margin was its best in an Atlantic 10 game since beating Villanova 57-23 at home in 2000. The victory margin is the Dukes’ best in a league road game since winning 42-3 at Villanova 1993, its first Atlantic 10 (Yankee Conference) season.

JMU returns to action next Saturday (Oct. 8) for its Family Weekend game against Maine. Maine defeated Albany 31-7 Saturday night to improve to 2-2. The Black Bears lost 25-7 at Nebraska in their opener, beat William Penn 28-0 and lost 26-21 at home to Richmond in their only Atlantic 10 game.

blur2005
October 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
We have the nations best defense!
Who have you played??? I swear, I really want us to torch UMass now.

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM

JMU must focus on Maine right now.

blur2005
October 2nd, 2005, 11:58 PM
JMU must focus on Maine right now.
Yes, of course.

umassfan
October 3rd, 2005, 01:10 AM

We have played the same quality of sched as JMU... as for torching us... dont bet your rent check on it.

JMU Duke Dog
October 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Here is the highlight video from this past weekend's JMU at Hofstra game:
http://www.jmusports.com/include/AdCode/abmc.asp?b=105&z=20

Umass74
October 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
After watching the JMU-Hofstra game, my first thought was:

"Thanks a bunch Costal Carolina, from the rest of the A10, for pissing off last year's National Champions!"