PDA

View Full Version : The I-AA Playoff Nightmare Thread

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I wanted to start something fun this Wednesday - what do you think the I-AA playoff selection committee has nightmares thinking about? I'm thinking older stadiums with smaller fan bases. Obviously this means no Delaware, Youngstown St., Georgia Southern, etc. Also, this means teams that near or on top of their divisions.

Top Seeds: New Hampshire, Wofford, Nicholls St., Idaho St.

1st Round:
Portland St. at Nicholls St.
Tenn-Martin at Western Kentucky

Cal Poly at Idaho St.
Furman at Southern Illinois

Holy Cross at New Hampshire
Hampton at Villanova

Northern Iowa at UMass
Lafayette at Wofford

:cool:

Pard94
September 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I wanted to start something fun this Wednesday - what do you think the I-AA playoff selection committee has nightmares thinking about? I'm thinking older stadiums with smaller fan bases. Obviously this means no Delaware, Youngstown St., Georgia Southern, etc. Also, this means teams that near or on top of their divisions.

1st Round:

Cal Poly at Idaho St.

Hampton at Villanova

Northern Iowa at UMass
Lafayette at Wofford

Lafayette at Wofford would be a nightmare for the Tavani family too. If, I'm not mistaken, Coach Tavani's kid plays for Wofford.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Nicholls State? We'll see how they do come CONFERENCE-play...

I'm interested to see how these cancellations due to Rita and Katrina impact things. There are teams that could by the end of the year have lost two or three games, do well in conference and not win the conference title, but come short of the needed wins because the OOC games they got in was a sub Div I and/or a Div I-A opponent...

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Based solely on home attendance, the worst would be:

Automatics:

A10 - Rhode Island
Big Sky - Portland State
Gateway - Indiana State
MEAC - Delaware State
OVC - UT-Martin
Patriot - Georgetown
Southern - Chattanooga
Southland - Nicholls State

At-large: Colgate, Towson, Northeastern, Bethune-Cookman, Illinois State, Wofford, Idaho State and Sam Houston. (*assuming a fairly normal distribution of at-larges)

Let's just assume for fun (and to make it easy for me) that the autos received the 8 seeds...

Colgate at Rhode Island (actually an attractive game, just not in the playoffs)
Towson at Georgetown (see above)

Sam Houston at Portland State (possibly the best game of the lot)
Idaho State at Indiana State (ISU vs ISU for the rights to be called ISU)

Northeastern at Delaware State (battle of who's stadium is worse)
Illinois State at UT-Martin (battle of the birds)

Bethune-Cookman at Chattanooga (just so a MEAC could play at nooga once)
Wofford at Nicholls State (can't think of anything good to say about this one)

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM

WE WOULD KILL THEM :D :D :asswhip:

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM
WE WOULD KILL THEM
Not in front of the 3000 screaming Skyhawks fans.

kmax
September 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM

1st Round:

Cal Poly at Idaho St.

Hampton at Villanova

Northern Iowa at UMass
Lafayette at Wofford

Idaho State and Portland State as the only teams representing the Sky in the playoffs--yep, sounds like a nightmare to me! ;)

AmsterBison
September 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Only nightmare I'm worried about is that a team that deserves to get into the playoffs doesn't. It is the teams that earn the right to play in the playoffs, not the crowds or stadiums.

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Cal Poly at Idaho St.
Hampton at Villanova
Northern Iowa at UMass
Lafayette at Wofford
You've got too many good looking match-ups! :p

Hansel
September 28th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Automatics:

A10 - Rhode Island
Big Sky - Portland State
Gateway - Indiana State
MEAC - Delaware State
OVC - UT-Martin
Patriot - Georgetown
Southern - Chattanooga
Southland - Nicholls State

At-large: Colgate, Towson, Northeastern, Bethune-Cookman, Illinois State, Wofford, Idaho State and Sam Houston. (*assuming a fairly normal distribution of at-larges)

Let's just assume for fun (and to make it easy for me) that the autos received the 8 seeds...

Colgate at Rhode Island (actually an attractive game, just not in the playoffs)

Sam Houston at Portland State (possibly the best game of the lot)
Idaho State at Indiana State (ISU vs ISU for the rights to be called ISU)

Northeastern at Delaware State (battle of who's stadium is worse)

Bethune-Cookman at Chattanooga (just so a MEAC could play at nooga once)
Wofford at Nicholls State (can't think of anything good to say about this one)
Are they seeding 8 teams this year????

SoCon48
September 28th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Wofford won't be anywhere in sight.

Russ B
September 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Only nightmare I'm worried about is that a team that deserves to get into the playoffs doesn't. It is the teams that earn the right to play in the playoffs, not the crowds or stadiums.

I'm hoping that NDSU and UCD are top 16 this year, just to throw a big monkey wrench into the playoff selections. :D

Hansel
September 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I'm hoping that NDSU and UCD are top 16 this year, just to throw a big monkey wrench into the playoff selections. :D
Cal Poly was last year, yet the committee had no problem ignoring them :cool:

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM

UCD isn't eligible for the playoffs until 2007 i think. Is NDSU eligible yet?

FightinBluHen51
September 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Not in front of the 3000 screaming Skyhawks fans.
In a snow storm.

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I thought that was a change for this year.

Russ B
September 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Cal Poly was last year, yet the committee had no problem ignoring them :cool:

Yeah, but they were at least eligible.

I want UCD (and the other GWFC upandcomers) to make a mockery of the NCAA's 4-year waiting policy. :)

Go Lehigh: NDSU is a year behind Davis in the transition, IIRC, so eligible in 2008?

cosmo here
September 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Lafayette at Wofford would be a nightmare for the Tavani family too. If, I'm not mistaken, Coach Tavani's kid plays for Wofford.

you're certainly not mistaken.

http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tavani_frank00.html

http://www.wofford.edu/athletics/football/05ReturningPlayersZ.asp

Pard94
September 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM
you're certainly not mistaken.

http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tavani_frank00.html

http://www.wofford.edu/athletics/football/05ReturningPlayersZ.asp

Back in my playing days in the early 90's, Coach T was the Offensive Coordinator, Dan used to shag punts and mess around with the team on Friday practices. He was only about 8 or 9 years old but you could tell he was a real athlete even at that point. Come to think of it, how many 9 year olds can actually catch a punt delivered by a college punter? He seemed to really love being out there. He never missed a Friday practice. It is no suprise to see him succeed.

One of the other Tavani boys went to Lafayette on a full ride for academics as well...good kids.

henfan
September 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Don't know about the NCAA's nightmare, but I think certain members on the Univ of Delaware Board of Trustees would go into apopletic fits if the Blue Hens ever got paired with Delaware State. Former UD trustees might even be summoned from the grave to try to stop that game from happening. :p

blur2005
September 29th, 2005, 11:30 AM
You heard it here first- Hampton will have a first round home game in the playoffs this year!!!
We'll see about that...

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
You heard it here first- Hampton will have a first round home game in the playoffs this year!!!
Damn good chance IMO.

putter
September 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM

The thing is that the teams with the biggest crowds/stadiums have DESERVED to be in the playoffs the last few years. It has come down to strength of schedule as to who got in. Cal Poly definitely got the shaft last year and it had nothing to do with the crowd or stadium.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 11:40 AM
The thing is that the teams with the biggest crowds/stadiums have DESERVED to be in the playoffs the last few years. It has come down to strength of schedule as to who got in. Cal Poly definitely got the shaft last year and it had nothing to do with the crowd or stadium.
IMO there is NO correlation between bids and attendance. Ask YSU a couple of years ago, or Lehigh... Now, between home games and attendance, that's a different story, but IMO should be.

putter
September 29th, 2005, 11:43 AM
IMO there is NO correlation between bids and attendance. Ask YSU a couple of years ago, or Lehigh... Now, between home games and attendance, that's a different story, but IMO should be.

I have to agree Hen and as you know the Griz got some home game maybe they shouldn't have or wouldn't have it they went back to seeding 16 teams

GannonFan
September 29th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I have to agree Hen and as you know the Griz got some home game maybe they shouldn't have or wouldn't have it they went back to seeding 16 teams

Actually, I don't think you can easily say the same has been true for UD - I don't think you can successfully argue that UD got a home game in the last 10 years due to attendance - it could happen, I just don't think it has. In 1997 UD's only regular season loss was to #1 ranked nova so they were deserving of being highly ranked and having all home games. UD was 10-1 in 2000 and again more than worthy of having all home games. Same for the 11-1 UD team in 2003, even more so since they had a win over Navy to boot. In 2004, UD may have been 8-3 (only losses to an even better Navy team, and playoff participants JMU and UNH), but they were ranked either 9th or 10th in the SN Poll at the end of the year, so it's not far-fetched to think that they could have been the #8 seed in a seeded tournament and worthy of that first home game. I'm sure it could happen, but it hasn't happened for us yet.

LBPop
September 29th, 2005, 02:07 PM

:lmao:

Well, as long as we're using hallucinatory substances, this matchup would solve the parking problem in Georgetown. The Towson fans could just walk down I-95. :D

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I don't think you can successfully argue that UD got a home game in the last 10 years due to attendance
Last year was thanks to attendance IMO. How else can you send JMU on the road while keeping UD home? JMU was higher than UD in every poll and the GPI. They also beat UD head to head.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I don't think you can successfully argue that UD got a home game in the last 10 years due to attendance

Last year was thanks to attendance IMO. How else can you send JMU on the road while keeping UD home? JMU was higher than UD in every poll and the GPI. They also beat UD head to head.

While UNH was #4 in the A-10 with a 6-2 record behind the three 7-1 teams, by the national rankings UNH was the #2 team in the A-10. They also beat UD in Newark. IIRC, the Wildcats were the #5 team in the playoff field. I'd have to agree with GF, attendance got UD a home game last year. Based on polls and the GPI, JMU and UNH deserved a home game over UD.

And I think the good folks in Statesboro would agree that they didn't deserve to play the #5 team in the opening round. But it resulted in a dynamite game on ESPN2 which I suppose was good for I-AA.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I'd have to agree with GF, attendance got UD a home game last year. Based on polls and the GPI, JMU and UNH deserved a home game over UD.
Hey, that's me you agree with, not Gannon. :p

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 29th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hey, that's me you agree with, not Gannon. :p

Maybe tomorrow I won't be confusing you guys like I have been the past two days!! :o :o

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I was wrong Hansel. I finally got around to reading the post-season manual for 2005 and they are still only seeding four this year.

Hansel
September 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Maybe tomorrow I won't be confusing you guys like I have been the past two days!! :o :o
There is about 18 Delaware guys with the same damn UD helmet avatar... I can never tell them apart

Hansel
September 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I was wrong Hansel. I finally got around to reading the post-season manual for 2005 and they are still only seeding four this year.
That's good for Monte and You-Dee fans ;)

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 11:26 AM
That's good for Monte and You-Dee fans ;)
Yes and no. "Seeds" don't always go to the best four (or eight) teams based on rankings. Even when the Committee seeded all 16 in the old days, they'd always screw somebody by giving them the #9 when they deserved higher based on performance. Just ask Lehigh fans. :p

Husky Alum
September 30th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Do any of the UD fans think that the NCAA would have a "sense of humor" and ever slot UD against Del State in the playoffs?

We all know the NCAA sets up the NCAA Hoops Brackets for possible "interesting" matchups (i.e. Dave Leitao vs. Jim Calhoun a couple of years ago, Louisville vs. Kentucky in the 80s when they hadn't played in years, etc.). What's to think they wouldn't stick a needle in the side of the Hens and require them to play the Hornets?

Granted Del State would have to have a playoff worthy team, but I can see the NCAA being cute.

and in your "Best of the Worst" stadium NCAA tournament, I'd like our chances against Del State - maybe UD fans would go to the game and root for us ;)

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Do any of the UD fans think that the NCAA would have a "sense of humor" and ever slot UD against Del State in the playoffs?
I have NO doubt that they absolutely would do this. :nod: However, this may be the only way the two meet.

eaglesrthe1
September 30th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I have NO doubt that they absolutely would do this. :nod: However, this may be the only way the two meet.

Given Del Sts facility and att vs UDs.
Given that they are from different conferences.
Given their proximity to each other.

Looking at the criteria that the committee uses for first round matchups, a sense of humor would not be necessary.

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Looking at the criteria that the committee uses for first round matchups, a sense of humor would not be necessary.
Agreed, it would be stupid for them not to. Of course henfan will tell you it's stupid they don't play in the regular season too. :p

henfan
September 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Forget humor, the Playoff Selection Committee just isn't prepared to bring on the apocalypse. DSU being allowed to set foot on the dirt (f/k/a turf) of Delaware Stadium is the Second Sign that the end is at hand... or so we've been led to believe.

Of course, the First Sign occurs when the Hornets actually qualify for the playoffs. ;)

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM
DSU being allowed to set foot on the dirt (f/k/a turf) of Delaware Stadium is the Second Sign that the end is at hand... or so we've been led to believe.

Of course, the First Sign occurs when the Hornets actually qualify for the playoffs. ;)
:lmao: Truer words haven't been spoken.

Granite
September 30th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Interesting discussion on stadium quality, crowd size, etc. This is getting some play here in the New Hampshire press. From today's Union Leader:

"I don't want UNH to be embarrassed, (but) it would be awfully difficult to put a good face on Cowell Stadium," Scarano said.

Scarano is trying to renovate the facility, including new stands, turf and a press box. Don't be surprised if the price tag is in the same ballpark as the $27.6 million it took to build the Whittemore Center.

-SNIP-

McDonnell, whose team has won 16 of its last 20 games, said there are more phone calls about his team from the media both locally and nationally. That's another good thing.

And it would be something if the 'Cats hosted an NCAA game and ESPN was here to broadcast it live. Scarano fears that day in some ways.

He fears that ESPN will take a look one look at Cowell Stadium, with its inadequate press box and inadequate parking, and say, "No thanks," and take a pass.

"I think that would be the ultimate slap in the face," Scarano said. "We've talked about it already, but we're limited in what we can do."
Looks like Marty is trying to make a compelling case through the press to renovate Cowls. Not that we really need to make a case, mind you, but this is New Hampshire:

A state representative told me last year that the football team better start drawing like the hockey team – which regularly sells out the 6,500-seat Whit – before the state would even consider putting up any money.

So, in that regard, last week was a good one in many ways for the Wildcats.

They not only went to 2-0 after routing Dartmouth, but they drew a crowd of 7,145, a clear sign that people are buying into this team. Of course, UNH is 3-0 after beating UCD, Towson and Dartmouth, but the writer does make a point....

Check out the full article:

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=61167