PDA

View Full Version : New Look Paladins

PaladinFan
March 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Article in the Greenville News quotes Bobby Lamb stating they will likely unveil a 4-2-5 defense this fall in an effort to get more speed on the field (the SoCon is producing some offensive juggernauts). It's the same defense Furman employed to limit Jayson Foster to season lows in 2007.

Also, Lamb comments that the Paladins are going to spread the ball out. He states what most Furman fans already know, our tightends and running backs are just as good of pass catchers as our wideouts. Couple that with a savvy passer in Jordan Sorrells and you may see a pass happy FU team (which, for those who know anything about Furman football is just wacky).

Anyway. Looks like FU is finally making the adjustments to get them over the holding pattern we've been in. These adjustments are what you have to do in today's football game.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/SPORTS0103/803040337/1027/SPORTS0103

OL FU
March 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
As long as we don't break out purple pants with purple jerseys I am cool wtih it.xsmiley_wix

OL FU
March 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I like the defensive idea although I always say I know less about how to set up a defense than an offense. We were certainly a step slow most of last year on D.

It will be interesting to see how the offense works. While Sorrells is a great passer there was no doubt we would have to see some changes since he is not a rushing QB.

Go Dinsxthumbsupx

citdog
March 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
54-51

OL FU
March 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
54-51

52-30-3 Advantage FU:p
Last 10 years 7-3 Advantage FU:p

You should be looking forward to 2010xlolx

citdog
March 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
52-30-3 Advantage FU:p
Last 10 years 7-3 Advantage FU:p

You should be looking forward to 2010xlolx

LAST MEETING..

'DOGS 54
'DINS 51

grizband
March 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
As long as we don't break out purple pants with purple jerseys I am cool wtih it.xsmiley_wix
Puuurrrple Paaantss.... student section used that cheer each time we played Weber State.

CatFan22
March 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
31-13 xnodx :)
I will be interested in seeing how that 4-2-5 D works, though.

furman94
March 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hey! Don't pull that one Catfan!

CatFan22
March 4th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hey! Don't pull that one Catfan!

:D
You knew it was coming.xpeacex

OL FU
March 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
LAST MEETING..

'DOGS 54
'DINS 51

When you win so few the scores are easier to remember:p

OL FU
March 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM
31-13 xnodx :)
I will be interested in seeing how that 4-2-5 D works, though.

After last year that is damn near ancient historyxbawlingx

Sir William
March 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Whatever defense Lamb installs, it better be able to cover the pass. Pass defense has been virtually non-existent for us the last couple of years.

fuEMO
March 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I believe this scheme is very similar or is the scheme that VaTech plays. Rumor is Furman's coaches are making visits to some FBS to talk defensive strategy. I like the 4-2-5 it worked very well against GSU and Western. Putting Twitty, Hicks, and Lerner on the field at the same time is a must.

Having a veteran offensive line gives Bobby and Tim lots of options to wrap an offense around Jordan. Can't wait to see the spring scrimmages.

CrazyCat
March 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
How is Lerner doing?

PaladinFan
March 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
How is Lerner doing?

From what I saw last year, he's as good as advertised. He got a lot more playing time near the end of the season, but he stuffs the run and can lineup man to man on slot receivers. Will be a very good player for us.

Touchdown Yosef
March 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Pretty soon we will all be running some variation of the spread here in the socon. If you all have success with that new defense I would bet we see some copycats over the next few years. Good luck FU.

fuEMO
March 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
How is Lerner doing?

Lerner came in with a lot of hype, and he was the focus of a lot of attention. Girls. Say what you want about Furman, but most of the players are humble, smart kids. And Max came in with attitude and I think it took him a while to blend.

Lerner can lineup against anyone in FCS skill-on-skill. The problem in his freshman year was maybe some cockyness, playing out of position at times, and taking risks. He settled down in the APP game and almost made the game changing play, making a play on a Edwards pass.

Against GSU and Western he has used as part of the three-headed safety monster and it worked so well that it now appears to be the scheme for 08.

catamount man
March 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Got some pics of the 1981 Furman-WCU game in Cullowhee with FU sporting the purple trousers. Looked cool to me. And I love when we wear all purple.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
March 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Got some pics of the 1981 Furman-WCU game in Cullowhee with FU sporting the purple trousers. Looked cool to me. And I love when we wear all purple.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

That was away right. Duh you said Cullowheexrotatehx

I don't mind purple pants with white shirts, infact I would like them to bring that back for some away games. Just not all purple. Too Clemsony, even though Clemson uses the oogliest purple I have ever seenxnodx

appstate38
March 4th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Questions for the Paladins.... Do you at present have the athletes to deploy the 4-2-5 defense. That is alot of DB's on the field at one time.
2nd did recruiting reflect this change in defensive scheme. If not, it could be a long haul on the defensive side of the ball.

Mountain Panther
March 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Yeah I thought this thread was about a new uniforms....DON'T CHANGE!!! xbowx

PaladinFan
March 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Questions for the Paladins.... Do you at present have the athletes to deploy the 4-2-5 defense. That is alot of DB's on the field at one time.
2nd did recruiting reflect this change in defensive scheme. If not, it could be a long haul on the defensive side of the ball.

Furman signed 3 defensive backs I think, this year. We've been recruiting smaller linebackers that can run. We have several "tweener" safety-linebacker types on the roster.

This won't effect at all the corner backs. Still will have two on the field. My feeling is you probably won't even notice a difference outside of the size of our linebackers.

Think about it. three years ago Furman put Mike Killian, Ced Ritter, and William Freeman in at linebacker at the same time. Freeman was 6'3 230+ and was the smallest linebacker on the field for Furman. Our run defense could shut down a small army. We had three linebackers bigger than most FCS defensive ends.

Times are changing. We've recruited smaller guys to play linebacker. The game is more lateral now, less vertical. Have to be able to run. I can assure you Lamb wouldn't put in the system unless we have the personell.

Look to the GSU game. Their offense ground to a halt against this defense. Our third safety in that game, Julian Hicks, came out with 11 tackles and Jayson Foster came out with season lows. It works, and I'm excited to see it implemented.

PaladinFan
March 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Lerner came in with a lot of hype, and he was the focus of a lot of attention. Girls. Say what you want about Furman, but most of the players are humble, smart kids. And Max came in with attitude and I think it took him a while to blend.

Lerner can lineup against anyone in FCS skill-on-skill. The problem in his freshman year was his cockyness caused some bone-head plays, playing out of position, taking risks. He finally settled down in the APP game and almost made the game changing play, making a play on a Edwards pass.

Against GSU and Western he has used as part of the three-headed safety monster and it worked so well that it now appears to be the scheme for 08.

prolly not necessary to call the kid out on a public forum.

mrklean
March 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Did anyone think that the reason why Furman changed defensive schemes is because that the two rivals in the socon use a spread offense of some type? ummmmmmmm!

Eyes of Old Main
March 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
So if Lamb is changing his whole scheme, can we assume that he's been given an ultimatum to win or be gone?

fuEMO
March 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM
prolly not necessary to call the kid out on a public forum.

Didn't mean to call him out… xconfusedx

PaladinFan
March 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
So if Lamb is changing his whole scheme, can we assume that he's been given an ultimatum to win or be gone?

No. I don't think that's the case. Look at the recruiting, he's been moving this way for a while. Sorrells and Worley are both more spread type quarterbacks, we have 'fargin four 6'4 tightends who can run and catch, running backs who are more single back type guys than I-formation type guys. The word has been he's been wanting to move this way offensively for a while.

This is the first time Lamb will have "his guy" at quarterback. He inherited Bo Moore and Billy Napier. Ingle Martin transferred in. Renaldo Gray was a running back his first couple of seasons. This is the first opportunity he's had to build an offense around a quarterback since he's been head coach.

The defense is a different story. Had to make that move. There are just no power backs in the SoCon anymore that don't play for Furman. A few years ago you could tick off one after the other single set backs in the SoCon (Buckley, Taylor, Broughton, Felton, Mays, Austin, etc). There just aren't those guys anymore. The game now goes a lot more east/west than north/south. Had to eventually put speed on the field.

Again, and I think I've mentioned this a few times. Bobby Lamb has not had a losing record. He makes the playoffs most of the years. Semi finals appearance, quarters appearance. The guy graduates 97% of his players and has been associated continuously with the Furman program since the early 1980s (and during that time we've won A LOT). Nothing seems to suggest he's going anywhere any time soon.

It is however good to see that the program is willing to make necessary changes. In 07 we had the top rushing D in the conference, lead the league in sacks, had an offense comparable to anyone else's. Our passing defense was atrocious and we were KILLED by turnovers early on. Fix those two things and we have a pretty good football team.

Syntax Error
March 5th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I like the fact that Lamb mentioned it would br "fun for the kids" because they have a lot more speed this year. xthumbsupx

citdog
March 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
No. I don't think that's the case. Look at the recruiting, he's been moving this way for a while. Sorrells and Worley are both more spread type quarterbacks, we have 'fargin four 6'4 tightends who can run and catch, running backs who are more single back type guys than I-formation type guys. The word has been he's been wanting to move this way offensively for a while.

This is the first time Lamb will have "his guy" at quarterback. He inherited Bo Moore and Billy Napier. Ingle Martin transferred in. Renaldo Gray was a running back his first couple of seasons. This is the first opportunity he's had to build an offense around a quarterback since he's been head coach.

The defense is a different story. Had to make that move. There are just no power backs in the SoCon anymore that don't play for Furman. A few years ago you could tick off one after the other single set backs in the SoCon (Buckley, Taylor, Broughton, Felton, Mays, Austin, etc). There just aren't those guys anymore. The game now goes a lot more east/west than north/south. Had to eventually put speed on the field.

Again, and I think I've mentioned this a few times. Bobby Lamb has not had a losing record. He makes the playoffs most of the years. Semi finals appearance, quarters appearance. The guy graduates 97% of his players and has been associated continuously with the Furman program since the early 1980s (and during that time we've won A LOT). Nothing seems to suggest he's going anywhere any time soon.

It is however good to see that the program is willing to make necessary changes. In 07 we had the top rushing D in the conference, lead the league in sacks, had an offense comparable to anyone else's. Our passing defense was atrocious and we were KILLED by turnovers early on. Fix those two things and we have a pretty good football team.

nice spin. lamb is an idiot, your program, like gsu's, is a thing of the past. i hate you and your school and i hope you lose every game. damn furple sons of bitches

Appinator
March 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
nice spin. lamb is an idiot, your program, like gsu's, is a thing of the past. i hate you and your school and i hope you lose every game. damn furple sons of bitches

classicxlolx xlolx

OL FU
March 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM

This is the discussion board you illiterate bastagexrolleyesx

Lamb versus the Citadel 4-2.

citdog
March 5th, 2008, 07:09 AM
This is the discussion board you illiterate bastagexrolleyesx

Lamb versus the Citadel 4-2.

it's all the smack board to me!

OL FU
March 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
it's all the smack board to me!

What you moving in with Baldyxrolleyesx

jonmac
March 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Citdog, I've been enjoying your posts for some time now but I really wish you'd stop sugar-coating things and tell us how you really feel. :D

AndrewFU21
March 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I like the fact that they are making changes on defense, especially in terms of stopping the pass. I'm no defensive expert, but it seems to me that we have been playing mostly soft, passive zone defenses, trying to 'bend-but-not-break' and stop the run above all else. It's not a terrible strategy, but when the offense knows what's coming(we don't really mix up our blitzes and stuff very much) its a lot easier to beat it. Besides, the run first defense doesn't work as much today as it did in the past, as there are plenty of QB's in the SoCon that can eat up a soft zone coverage.

From what I understand, I like the 4-2-5 gives you more speed and more flexibility, where the LB's and safties are almost interchangeable. I think we could stand to be at least a little more aggressive on defense too.

lizrdgizrd
March 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I think all these changes are horrible as they improve the furples' chances of winning games. xmadx

:p

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's going to be an exciting time for FU football. xnodx I've been hoping and praying for this announcement for years. This D is our only hope of defending the spread that is taking over the game. Smashmouth, grind it out in the treches football is a thing of the past, and our defense has to be able to adapt to that change.

I'm just as excited to see if we can make a move to a spread type offense with Sorrell's arm throwing the ball. That kid has potential, but he's gonna have to get faster than he's been in the past.

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
So now you look even more like your fellow purple team to the North in Harrisonburg, VA! xsmiley_wix

Using 2 LBs has worked out well for us, good luck to the Paladins in 2008! xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
March 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Villanova used to run the 4-2-5, but we switched to the 3-3-5 prior to the 2006 season, it's essentially the same concept but you need safeties and corners who are good in run support or else you're screwed..
but i like these vogue defenses, they aren't what you see every day and that's a good thing

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hoya - that's part of what scares me a bit in losing our 4-time All-American S Tony LeZotte. He could read offenses and made great moves to get up field and make tackles, some even for no gain, which is amazing coming from the S position.

I think we'll still be fine, but you are spot on that this style of D requires FAST safeties/DBs that know how to tackle. Being able to read offenses is also key.

I think why this defense is so effective (or at least more so than standard Ds) vs. the spread option is that the QB is usually the man, and so the DBs are given assignments to either cheat up, or drop back (50/50), which leaves the secondary a bit exposed. If a LB is spying the QB and DBs come to the line in gap support, it is much hard to be effective in running the ball. Force a spread option team to pass, and they'll probably make some mistakes. Most of these QBs are athletes first, QBs second...

Think about it...

Stop Armanti Edwards - you stop ASU.

Stop Jason Foster - you stop GSU.

Stop Rodney Landers - you stop JMU.

etc., etc., etc.

(Maybe I should rephrase that - CONTAIN any one of these QBs and you have a chance to win).

lizrdgizrd
March 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Hoya - that's part of what scares me a bit in losing our 4-time All-American S Tony LeZotte. He could read offenses and made great moves to get up field and make tackles, some even for no gain, which is amazing coming from the S position.

I think we'll still be fine, but you are spot on that this style of D requires FAST safeties/DBs that know how to tackle. Being able to read offenses is also key.

I think why this defense is so effective (or at least more so than standard Ds) vs. the spread option is that the QB is usually the man, and so the DBs are given assignments to either cheat up, or drop back (50/50), which leaves the secondary a bit exposed. If a LB is spying the QB and DBs come to the line in gap support, it is much hard to be effective in running the ball. Force a spread option team to pass, and they'll probably make some mistakes. Most of these QBs are athletes first, QBs second...

Think about it...

etc., etc., etc.

(Maybe I should rephrase that - CONTAIN any one of these QBs and you have a chance to win).
Of course your containment of AE was mostly via keeping him on the sideline with your O. xsmiley_wix

seantaylor
March 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM

You are an idiot. We will continue stomping your sorry ass fake military team into the ground. You had a freebie when we had Van Gorder.

I-AA Fan
March 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Article in the Greenville News quotes Bobby Lamb stating they will likely unveil a 4-2-5 defense this fall in an effort to get more speed on the field (the SoCon is producing some offensive juggernauts). It's the same defense Furman employed to limit Jayson Foster to season lows in 2007.

Also, Lamb comments that the Paladins are going to spread the ball out. He states what most Furman fans already know, our tightends and running backs are just as good of pass catchers as our wideouts. Couple that with a savvy passer in Jordan Sorrells and you may see a pass happy FU team (which, for those who know anything about Furman football is just wacky).

Anyway. Looks like FU is finally making the adjustments to get them over the holding pattern we've been in. These adjustments are what you have to do in today's football game.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/SPORTS0103/803040337/1027/SPORTS0103

great post.

citdog
March 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
You are an idiot. We will continue stomping your sorry ass fake military team into the ground. You had a freebie when we had Van Gorder.

seantaylor whatever do you mean?

citdog
March 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx rep pts

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx rep pts

I thought you'd like that!xsmiley_wix I'm glad you took it in the good natured spirit it was intended.:D

Hoyadestroya85
March 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Think about it...

etc., etc., etc.

Absolutely..
luckily we have three good safeties, with at least two years of eligibility left.. so we are set.. it's scary that we only have to replace one guy on defense..

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Absolutely..
luckily we have three good safeties, with at least two years of eligibility left.. so we are set.. it's scary that we only have to replace one guy on defense..
HEY!!!! THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT HOW AWSOME THE PALADINS ARE GONNA BE NEXT YEAR WITH THEIR NEW DEFENSE!!!! NO MENTIONING crAPPY, ARMANTI, OR ANY OTHER TEAM EXCEPT IN REFERENCE TO HOW WE ARE GOING TO BEAT THEIR A$$ES!xmadx xnonox xmadx xnonox xmadx :D xpeacex

Hoyadestroya85
March 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm not talking about Appy.. i was talking about Villanova which happens to run a similar defense to the one you guys run..

furman94
March 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
HEY!!!! THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT HOW AWSOME THE PALADINS ARE GONNA BE NEXT YEAR WITH THEIR NEW DEFENSE!!!! NO MENTIONING crAPPY, ARMANTI, OR ANY OTHER TEAM EXCEPT IN REFERENCE TO HOW WE ARE GOING TO BEAT THEIR A$$ES!xmadx xnonox xmadx xnonox xmadx :D xpeacex

I Agree!xpeacex xbowx xbowx xwhistlex

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not talking about Appy.. i was talking about Villanova which happens to run a similar defense to the one you guys run..

It's cool Hoya. xpeacex I was just kidding around, it's too early to be serious.xrolleyesx

PaladinFan
March 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
We managed to stop Foster. In fact, we were the only team who stopped him with any consistency. He carried a 1-3 record against the Paladins.

Now, if we can figure out how to limit Edwards we'd be in business.

Hoyadestroya85
March 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
oops hahaha...
but i am sick and tired of the whole Appy circle J*rk

youwouldno
March 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
There are a number of variations on the 4-2-5. I've done a little reading on it in the past few days... I like the fact that the coaching staff is trying to innovate after the recent defensive struggles. But just switching out a LB for a safety isn't the same as truly changing the defensive philosophy, and the article wasn't really clear on the extent of the changes.

Will there be more movement before the snap? More man coverage? Those types of things are probably more important than whether you call the defense a 4-3 or a 4-2-5.

From the very limited comments by Lamb provided in the newspaper article, it sounds like the Paladins are going for something like TCU runs, though a large number of teams run some form of it... LSU, VT, Texas A&M are a few that come to mind; others have been mentioned (and I think someone said VT earlier). VT still calls their defense a 4-3, though it has 2 ILB's and a small, fast OLB. That's sort of what Furman ran against Foster & GSU last year.

Earlier in the thread, an App poster I believe asked whether the Paladins had the personnel to make the change seamlessly. I personally think they do not. The three starting safeties will be very, very good- Twitty, Lerner, and Hicks are all athletic, balanced players. But beyond that there is very little depth. It will probably be necessary to use a true freshman or two in the secondary.

So while I like the sound of the changes, it may not be without some pitfalls early on.

Offense-wise, I think there isn't much to worry about. I've been hoping they would let Sorrells loose, and it sounds like that is the plan.

jonmac
March 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
oops hahaha...
but i am sick and tired and extremely envious of the whole Appy circle J*rk

fixed it. xsmiley_wix cool, first time I've done the fix it thing.xpeacex

fuEMO
March 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
There are a number of variations on the 4-2-5. I've done a little reading on it in the past few days... I like the fact that the coaching staff is trying to innovate after the recent defensive struggles. But just switching out a LB for a safety isn't the same as truly changing the defensive philosophy, and the article wasn't really clear on the extent of the changes.

Will there be more movement before the snap? More man coverage? Those types of things are probably more important than whether you call the defense a 4-3 or a 4-2-5.

From the very limited comments by Lamb provided in the newspaper article, it sounds like the Paladins are going for something like TCU runs, though a large number of teams run some form of it... LSU, VT, Texas A&M are a few that come to mind; others have been mentioned (and I think someone said VT earlier). VT still calls their defense a 4-3, though it has 2 ILB's and a small, fast OLB. That's sort of what Furman ran against Foster & GSU last year.

Earlier in the thread, an App poster I believe asked whether the Paladins had the personnel to make the change seamlessly. I personally think they do not. The three starting safeties will be very, very good- Twitty, Lerner, and Hicks are all athletic, balanced players. But beyond that there is very little depth. It will probably be necessary to use a true freshman or two in the secondary.

So while I like the sound of the changes, it may not be without some pitfalls early on.

Offense-wise, I think there isn't much to worry about. I've been hoping they would let Sorrells loose, and it sounds like that is the plan.

Very good points… The movement before the snap will be a point of difference in 2008 IMO. Furman has the players to rotate on the dline and at linebacker to sub in packages. This was very effective against Western, my guess is Farrington and Evangelista were testing the packages.

One thought about depth at safety. Lerner, Hicks, and Twitty will be solid starters in this package the twist could come from a player like Kaddaron Anderson. Anderson played safety in high school and he could drop into that third safety/OLB position and be a monster.

jonmac
March 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM

ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, INFINITY!

:D Just messin' with ya Double D xpeacex

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Seems everyone in the conference is doing this. Man I hope we can find a good fullback.

Death Dealer
March 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, ARMANTI, INFINITY!

:D Just messin' with ya Double D xpeacex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :p

Hoyadestroya85
March 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
fixed it. xsmiley_wix cool, first time I've done the fix it thing.xpeacex
you got me.. my school has next to no support haha.. i am envious.. i'm even envious of delaware

BULLDOG8180
March 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Renaldo Gray was a running back his first couple of seasons. This is the first opportunity he's had to build an offense around a quarterback since he's been head coach.

WRONG- Gray was never a running back, recruited as a QB, was a QB his entire career at FU, never was a RB in high school either.

BULLDOG8180
March 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
That is the same defense WVU runs correct?

WVU calls their D, 3-5-3

FUwolfpacker
March 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
WRONG- Gray was never a running back, recruited as a QB, was a QB his entire career at FU, never was a RB in high school either.

Um....stick to hazing knobs fella;) xnodx

"2004 -- Served as the Paladins' No. 3 quarterback behind Ingle Martin and backup Bo Moore...actually saw limited time as a reserve tailback...sustained a high ankle sprain early in the early going and did not see his first action until the season's seventh game -- a 33-14 win over The Citadel...tallied seven rushes for 16 yards and scored a two-point conversion in the Paladins' SoCon title clinching 51-31 win over Chattanooga."

Yes, it was only for a very brief time, but he did see time at tailback. He came into the 2004 season being promoted as a QB/RB. His first year, 2003, I also believe he played both RB and QB on the scout time. At least I think that's what some of the football players in my classes told me. He was never a QB in high school though as you stated (moved from TE to QB his senior year).

T-Dog
March 6th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Ever since we started using the Spread, everyone else is trying to catch up by transforming and adapting. It's all about speed now in the SoCon.

BDKJMU
March 6th, 2008, 01:12 AM

JMU runs the 4-2-5. Its really 4 de lineman, 2 LBs, 2 corners, 2 safeties, and a "rover" whos listed as a safety and is like a hybrid linebacker/safety. JMU adopted it from VA Tech. Matthews is buddies with VA Tech Coach Beamer, and Va Tech with De coordinator Bud Foster year in & year out has one of the better defenses in the country running thbe 4-2-5. Plus JMU has another VA Tech connection on its defense. One of JMU's coaches since 2004 is JC Price, coaches de line. Was All Big East & 3rd team AP All American, 3rd round draft pick Cardinals, 2 yrs NFL.

JMU runs the 4-2-5 different from VA Tech. Doesn't blitz nearly as much & tends to play their corners softer. Matthews philosophy is put 8 in the box to stop the run, but also play the corners a little soft, give up nothing deep, and rather than blitzing, gamble that his front four can get enough heat on the opposing QB that the QB won't be able to nickle and dime short and intermediate passes all the way down the field, at least most of the game, will make mistakes. This works more often than not, but occasionally JMU will go up against a team has a good o-line, very accurate quick release QB (scrambling ability more important than big arm), and decent receivers, sometimes that team can go up and down the field passing for 300 plus on JMU a la Youngstown State in 06' and to a slightly lesser extent Delaware in 07' are 2 examples that come to mind. Even in 06' when JMU led the nation in sacks they didn't blitz a lot- had a great front 4.

So the ? is will Furman run the 4-2-5 usually 8 men in the box where they blitz a lot and play the corners more tight, which results in usually doing pretty well against the run, more sacks but also can give up a lot of big plays, or more like JMU where they blitz less, play the corners softer, still do well against the run, don't give up many big plays but on a few teams can get nickle and dimed up and down the field all day long. xcoffeex

BDKJMU
March 6th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I believe this scheme is very similar or is the scheme that VaTech plays. Rumor is Furman's coaches are making visits to some FBS to talk defensive strategy. I like the 4-2-5 it worked very well against GSU and Western. Putting Twitty, Hicks, and Lerner on the field at the same time is a must.

Having a veteran offensive line gives Bobby and Tim lots of options to wrap an offense around Jordan. Can't wait to see the spring scrimmages.

You are correct on that, as I know Youwouldno also talked about. Same defense as VA tech. JMU runs the 4-2-5. Its really 4 de lineman, 2 LBs, 2 corners, 2 safeties, and a "rover" whos listed as a safety and is like a hybrid linebacker/safety. JMU adopted it from VA Tech. Matthews is buddies with VA Tech Coach Beamer, and Va Tech with De coordinator Bud Foster year in & year out has one of the better defenses in the country running thbe 4-2-5. Plus JMU has another VA Tech connection on its defense. One of JMU's coaches since 2004 is JC Price, coaches de line. Was All Big East & 3rd team AP All American, 3rd round draft pick Cardinals, 2 yrs NFL.

JMU runs the 4-2-5 different from VA Tech. Doesn't blitz nearly as much & tends to play their corners softer. Matthews philosophy is put 8 in the box to stop the run, but also play the corners a little soft, give up nothing deep, and rather than blitzing, gamble that his front four can get enough heat on the opposing QB that the QB won't be able to nickle and dime short and intermediate passes all the way down the field, at least most of the game, will make mistakes. This works more often than not, but occasionally JMU will go up against a team has a good o-line, very accurate quick release QB (scrambling ability more important than big arm), and decent receivers, sometimes that team can go up and down the field passing for 300 plus on JMU a la Youngstown State in 06' and to a slightly lesser extent Delaware in 07' are 2 examples that come to mind. Even in 06' when JMU led the nation in sacks they didn't blitz a lot- had a great front 4. 07' sacks #s were WAY down, in part because the de line wasn't as good as 06' also in part because JMU faced ALOT of very mobile QBs. Personally I wish JMU played their corners tighter and blitzed more. Would give up some more big plays, but would create more turnrovers & sacks.

Regardless, the 4-2-5 is a good defense against the spread, as JMU2K Duke Dog elaborated, IF YOU HAVE THE TEAM SPEED to defend it. JMU does very well in the speed department. ASU did roll for 330 yards in less than 20 min against JMU, but JMU did have their best linebacker go down in the 2nd quarter I think it was, which didn't help matters, and of course ASU had the best spead offense in I-AA last year.

So the ? is will Furman run the 4-2-5 usually 8 men in the box where they blitz a lot and play the corners more tight, which results in usually doing pretty well against the run, more sacks but also can give up a lot of big plays, or more like JMU where they blitz less, play the corners softer, still do well against the run, don't give up many big plays but on a few teams can get nickle and dimed up and down the field all day long. So frustrating to watch sometimes :(

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
JMU plays defense?? Someone tell Omar Cuff....

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
4-2-5 or 4-3 or 3-4... hardly matters.. they will all be effective.. if you have the 'horses' and none will be if you don't... ;)

fuEMO
March 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
You are correct on that, as I know Youwouldno also talked about. Same defense as VA tech. JMU runs the 4-2-5. Its really 4 de lineman, 2 LBs, 2 corners, 2 safeties, and a "rover" whos listed as a safety and is like a hybrid linebacker/safety. JMU adopted it from VA Tech. Matthews is buddies with VA Tech Coach Beamer, and Va Tech with De coordinator Bud Foster year in & year out has one of the better defenses in the country running thbe 4-2-5. Plus JMU has another VA Tech connection on its defense. One of JMU's coaches since 2004 is JC Price, coaches de line. Was All Big East & 3rd team AP All American, 3rd round draft pick Cardinals, 2 yrs NFL.

JMU runs the 4-2-5 different from VA Tech. Doesn't blitz nearly as much & tends to play their corners softer. Matthews philosophy is put 8 in the box to stop the run, but also play the corners a little soft, give up nothing deep, and rather than blitzing, gamble that his front four can get enough heat on the opposing QB that the QB won't be able to nickle and dime short and intermediate passes all the way down the field, at least most of the game, will make mistakes. This works more often than not, but occasionally JMU will go up against a team has a good o-line, very accurate quick release QB (scrambling ability more important than big arm), and decent receivers, sometimes that team can go up and down the field passing for 300 plus on JMU a la Youngstown State in 06' and to a slightly lesser extent Delaware in 07' are 2 examples that come to mind. Even in 06' when JMU led the nation in sacks they didn't blitz a lot- had a great front 4. 07' sacks #s were WAY down, in part because the de line wasn't as good as 06' also in part because JMU faced ALOT of very mobile QBs. Personally I wish JMU played their corners tighter and blitzed more. Would give up some more big plays, but would create more turnrovers & sacks.

Regardless, the 4-2-5 is a good defense against the spread, as JMU2K Duke Dog elaborated, IF YOU HAVE THE TEAM SPEED to defend it. JMU does very well in the speed department. ASU did roll for 330 yards in less than 20 min against JMU, but JMU did have their best linebacker go down in the 2nd quarter I think it was, which didn't help matters, and of course ASU had the best spead offense in I-AA last year.

So the ? is will Furman run the 4-2-5 usually 8 men in the box where they blitz a lot and play the corners more tight, which results in usually doing pretty well against the run, more sacks but also can give up a lot of big plays, or more like JMU where they blitz less, play the corners softer, still do well against the run, don't give up many big plays but on a few teams can get nickle and dimed up and down the field all day long. So frustrating to watch sometimes :(

good ? … From conversations with some of the coaches it would appear that the old Furman way of playing defense (bend but don't break) is going out of favor. I actually have alot of faith in Coaches Farrington and Evangelista. Evangelista is a cerebral-type coach and from day one his goal has been to get Furman's D up to speed against the spread. He also appears to like to blitz with the speed guys corners and safeties. So this makes me think if the coaches can trust the players, they will let them loose.

Your other point is very interesting… the hybrid player. Furman has the prototype hybrid OLB/S in Kadarron Anderson (6-1, 209) he will be a redshirt freshman in 08 but he has already been lauded by the coaches as the player to look out for in 08. If Twitty and Williams can keep the two starting linebacker positions, I bet Anderson will become that hybrid player switching between playing the OLB position and that 3rd safety position. This helps with depth and adds some interesting options for defensive packages.

The bad news here as other Paladins have stated is our youthful depth at linebacker, corner and safety.
LB: Starters 2 SR Depth 1 SR, 3 RSFR, 1 FR
CB: Starters 1 SR, 1 SO Depth 1 SR, 1 RSFR, 3 FR
S: Starters 1 SR, 1 JR, 1 SO Depth 1 RSFR, 2 FR

Man are we young.

Jerbearasu
March 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
The bad news here as other Paladins have stated is our youthful depth at linebacker, corner and safety.
LB: Starters 2 SR Depth 1 SR, 3 RSFR, 1 FR
CB: Starters 1 SR, 1 SO Depth 1 SR, 1 RSFR, 3 FR
S: Starters 1 SR, 1 JR, 1 SO Depth 1 RSFR, 2 FR

Man are we young.

Upside to this is it is still a really good defense that is young so they will be a force for the next few years! I think with the new D change there has to be a lot more discipline from the D Line. I would think that the D Line's main task is to hold their gaps moreso than the 4-3 scheme. If the D Line is beat there could be quite a bit of open field...

Black Saturday
March 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM

hahahha

Give 'em Hell!

fuEMO
March 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Upside to this is it is still a really good defense that is young so they will be a force for the next few years! I think with the new D change there has to be a lot more discipline from the D Line. I would think that the D Line's main task is to hold their gaps moreso than the 4-3 scheme. If the D Line is beat there could be quite a bit of open field...

I think your probably right on. The good and the bad. Coach Pinilla is a great coach and it's quickly become obvious that his players love to play for him. Pinilla has a veteran interior line to work with. They are fast and strong. The defensive ends will be a different story, it's transition time again. Furman has moved it's big linebackers to defensive end, we will have to see how all this works out during the spring.

Starters
NG: Justin Brown JR 5-11 273 First team SoCon
DT: Corey Ray JR 6-1 264 *part time starter
DE/DT: Gaines Burnette SR 6-1 246 *part time starter

Backups
DT/NG: Ricky Jones SR 6-4 271 *part time starter
DT/NG: Daniel Leagans SR 6-1 260
DT: Pete Sanders SO 6-0 255
DT/NG: Adim Obata RSFR 6-0 255
DT: Bryan Poole FS 6-0 270

The question mark Defensive End:
DE: Shaun VanRensberg JR 6-3 235 *part time starter
DE: Derrick Parrea RSFR 6-3 220
DE: Cody Reynolds RSFR 6-3 230
DE: Kenny Beck FR 6-4 233

My guess is that a starter will come from one of the players moving over from linebacker. In what could prove to be the smartest move of the pre-season.

DE: Phillip Morris JR 6-2 240 30 tackles in 07. Can also drop back in coverage.
DE: Kyle McKinney JR 6-1 230

ChadWC
March 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I didn't see this on the thread but if so, sorry for reposting but....Speaking of changing defenses, Georgia Southern will implement the 3-3-5. Or thats at least the rumor that has been tossed around TSC a good bit. With the guys we recruited, it seems like it could be true. There should be lots of speed on the field for the Eagles.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I personally watched practice where Gray lined up at tailback. Usually Furman only keeps two active quarterbacks on roster (typically in front of a reserve redshirt freshman). When Martin came they moved Gray to tailback for a season because there was no room for him as a 3rd string QB. He saw playing time as a freshman at tailback.

As it was noted, he moved to QB his senior year after playing mostly tightend. My point is that he was not some "star" quarterback that Lamb wanted to build the team around. He was a good player for us, but he was never meant to be "the guy."

Best check your facts before you start calling out other people. xnonox

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I think your probably right on. The good and the bad. Coach Pinilla is a great coach and it's quickly become obvious that his players love to play for him. Pinilla has a veteran interior line to work with. They are fast and strong. The defensive ends will be a different story, it's transition time again. Furman has moved it's big linebackers to defensive end, we will have to see how all this works out during the spring.

Starters
NG: Justin Brown JR 5-11 273 First team SoCon
DT: Corey Ray JR 6-1 264 *part time starter
DE/DT: Gaines Burnette SR 6-1 246 *part time starter

Backups
DT/NG: Ricky Jones SR 6-4 271 *part time starter
DT/NG: Daniel Leagans SR 6-1 260
DT: Pete Sanders SO 6-0 255
DT/NG: Adim Obata RSFR 6-0 255
DT: Bryan Poole FS 6-0 270

The question mark Defensive End:
DE: Shaun VanRensberg JR 6-3 235 *part time starter
DE: Derrick Parrea RSFR 6-3 220
DE: Cody Reynolds RSFR 6-3 230
DE: Kenny Beck FR 6-4 233

My guess is that a starter will come from one of the players moving over from linebacker. In what could prove to be the smartest move of the pre-season.

DE: Phillip Morris JR 6-2 240 30 tackles in 07. Can also drop back in coverage.
DE: Kyle McKinney JR 6-1 230

I really don't think it will "look" any different. McKinney is a horse and could wreck havoc outside. Brown is arguably the best interior lineman in the conference.

FUwolfpacker
March 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I personally watched practice where Gray lined up at tailback. Usually Furman only keeps two active quarterbacks on roster (typically in front of a reserve redshirt freshman). When Martin came they moved Gray to tailback for a season because there was no room for him as a 3rd string QB. He saw playing time as a freshman at tailback.

As it was noted, he moved to QB his senior year after playing mostly tightend. My point is that he was not some "star" quarterback that Lamb wanted to build the team around. He was a good player for us, but he was never meant to be "the guy."

I already scolded him pfan. His bio on the athletic site said he saw some action as a reserve RB in 2004. It did say he was the #3 QB, but I'm pretty sure Arthur Williams would have come in as the #3 guy if it came to that.

BDKJMU
March 6th, 2008, 07:26 PM
JMU plays defense?? Someone tell Omar Cuff....

Yep, Cuff had a field day against JMU in 04' and 05'. At least in 04' JMU had the excuse of Cuff had just been moved over to tailback and they were totally unprepared for him and those belly dives in 04', esp considering JMU had several d-line man out that game that they fortunately got back a couple weeks later for the playoff run, otherwise there would have been no playoff run -certainly wouldn't have beaten FU in the 2nd round...

As far as the 4-2-5 being good against the run if you have the right personnell, JMU:
04' 86.8 yards per game rushing, 2nd nationally
05' 106.8 yards per game rushing
06' 84.8 yards rushing per game, 4th nationally
07' 126.6 yards rushing per game

As far as All American tailbacks JMU went up against in 06'-07':

06' Mason from YSU, came into the game averaging 166 yards rushing per game. JMU held him to 72 on 26 attempts, 2.8 yards per carry.

06' Richardson ASU 79 yards on 24 carries, 3.3 yards per carry
07' Richardson ASU 55 yards on 14 carries, 3.9 yards per carry

06' Hightower UR 15 yards on 9 carries (wasn't an All American 06')
07' Hightower UR 102 yards on 28 carries, 3.6 yards per carry. Looking at the Final 07' CAA stats Hightower in his other 13 games avg 140 rushing.

07' Cuff 101 yards on 28 carries, 3.6 yards per carry. Cuff in his other 14 games avg 132 rushing.

JMU in the 12 team CAA total defense:
04' 3rd
05' 2nd
06' 4th
07' 3rd

My point is the 4-2-5 has worked pretty well for JMU, and JMU's rush defense over the course of the last 4 years has been pretty good with a few exceptions (UD fans insert your Cuff comment here xsmiley_wix).

FU fans, sorry to hijack the thread. Sounds like the FU staff is making a good move with the defensive change.

BULLDOG8180
March 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM

He may have lined up at running back, but he wasn't a running back. And now you are backpeddling saying he was only a RB his freshman year.

I think my facts are good. I lined up at NG a few games as a sophomore, but I was always a DE.

Also, to say Renaldo wasn't his guy is rediculous. He recruited Gray as a QB- so when Gray signed, Bobby said, "well, I will spend $160,000.00 dollars for this kid to come to Furman to play QB, but he ain't my guy."

Sounds like you might better get your facts straight.xeekx

AndrewFU21
March 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
So you're saying that everybody Lamb gives a full ride to should be 'his guy'? Come on now. It's fairly obvious that a QB in the mold of Sorrells is much more suited to the kind of offense coach Lamb wants to run.

PaladinFan
March 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM

He may have lined up at running back, but he wasn't a running back. And now you are backpeddling saying he was only a RB his freshman year.

I think my facts are good. I lined up at NG a few games as a sophomore, but I was always a DE.

Also, to say Renaldo wasn't his guy is rediculous. He recruited Gray as a QB- so when Gray signed, Bobby said, "well, I will spend $160,000.00 dollars for this kid to come to Furman to play QB, but he ain't my guy."

Sounds like you might better get your facts straight.xeekx

Maybe has nothing to do with it. You said he never played running back. In fact, he played tail back in regular season games at FU. Football teams are not in the habit of moving guys that inherit their football team from third string QB to third string running back for any reason.

Again, Gray was a great player for us. He worked his butt off and won some big games. If he wasn't there my gut says Sorrells would have started as a freshman. Fact remains though, and any Furman fan (you know, the ones that actually watch our team play) will tell you that Sorrells was the golden boy the day he stepped on campus.

It has nothing to do with where he played once or twice in high school. You just chapped some people by adamantly saying he's never been a running back and always played quarterback, which just isn't cohesive to the facts.

GreatAppSt
March 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xlolx xlolx xlolx ;) ;) xpeacex

KJ Eagle
March 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM

And el cid has never had a past, so where does that put you??? We at least can strive to return to the glory of our NC years. You strive to return to mediocrity! xnonox

OL FU
March 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
And el cid has never had a past, so where does that put you??? We at least can strive to return to the glory of our NC years. You strive to return to mediocrity! xnonox

1861 to 1865, the glory yearsxcoolx

08Dawg
March 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM

1960, The Citadel beats Tennessee in the Tangerine Bowl...something to aspire to!

OL FU
March 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
1960, The Citadel beats Tennessee in the Tangerine Bowl...something to aspire to!

Do they still play the Tangerine Bowlxeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

citdog
March 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM

THE CITADEL HAS A GLORIOUS PAST AS MENTIONED BY OL FU ABOVE. 2004 IN STATESBORO IS A PAST EVENT I LIKE TO RELIVE. 2006 WASN'T BAD EITHER. AND NOW THAT YOUR ONE MAN TEAM HAS GRADUATED, A RARE FEAT FOR AN EAGLET FROM PIGS ASS, GA, YOU ARE RIGHT WHERE YOU WERE IN 2006. THAT'S RIGHT....

YOU SUCK AGAIN!

KJ Eagle
March 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
THE CITADEL HAS A GLORIOUS PAST AS MENTIONED BY OL FU ABOVE. 2004 IN STATESBORO IS A PAST EVENT I LIKE TO RELIVE. 2006 WASN'T BAD EITHER. AND NOW THAT YOUR ONE MAN TEAM HAS GRADUATED, A RARE FEAT FOR AN EAGLET FROM PIGS ASS, GA, YOU ARE RIGHT WHERE YOU WERE IN 2006. THAT'S RIGHT....

YOU SUCK AGAIN!

Glorious pasts as old and far away as yours mean absolutely nothing. But keep holding on to those days grandpa.

Funny how those two years that you won are out of the ONLY FOUR times that you have beaten us all time. Our series lead on you best I can tell is 13-4. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. So as I said...keep aspiring to mediocrity maybe one day you can get back to it.

citdog
March 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Glorious pasts as old and far away as yours mean absolutely nothing. But keep holding on to those days grandpa.

Funny how those two years that you won are out of the ONLY FOUR times that you have beaten us all time. Our series lead on you best I can tell is 13-4. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. So as I said...keep aspiring to mediocrity maybe one day you can get back to it.

SPLIT THE LAST FOUR WITH YOU. SEEMS WH HAVE GAINED AND NOW PASSED YOU. WE'RE POLITE SO WE WILL WAVE AT YOU IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR.

KJ Eagle
March 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
SPLIT THE LAST FOUR WITH YOU. SEEMS WH HAVE GAINED AND NOW PASSED YOU. WE'RE POLITE SO WE WILL WAVE AT YOU IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR.

The only time we will be in your rear view mirror is because we're about to put you a lap down, AGAIN. At 13-4 we've lapped you three times so far and are working on another one. Keep trying...xsmiley_wix

Oh, and 6>0 while we are at it...xlolx

elcid96
March 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

purple makes me puke
xbawlingx

elcid96
March 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I didn't see this on the thread but if so, sorry for reposting but....Speaking of changing defenses, Georgia Southern will implement the 3-3-5. Or thats at least the rumor that has been tossed around TSC a good bit. With the guys we recruited, it seems like it could be true. There should be lots of speed on the field for the Eagles.

What offense will you use since you can no longer employ the 1-10 offense. I.E. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Jayson Foster followed by the rest of the offense.

ChadWC
March 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
What have you learned about Georgia Southern teams? Greg Hill leaves and JR Revere steps in. JR Revere leaves and Chaz Williams steps in. Chaz Williams leaves and Jayson Foster steps in. Adrian Peterson leaves and Jermaine Austin steps in. Notice a trend? And thats just in recent years.

catamount man
March 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
purple makes me puke
xbawlingx

Sorry for ya. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

mrklean
March 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
What have you learned about Georgia Southern teams? Greg Hill leaves and JR Revere steps in. JR Revere leaves and Chaz Williams steps in. Chaz Williams leaves and Jayson Foster steps in. Adrian Peterson leaves and Jermaine Austin steps in. Notice a trend? And thats just in recent years.

AMENxthumbsupx

BULLDOG8180
March 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe has nothing to do with it. You said he never played running back. In fact, he played tail back in regular season games at FU. Football teams are not in the habit of moving guys that inherit their football team from third string QB to third string running back for any reason.

Again, Gray was a great player for us. He worked his butt off and won some big games. If he wasn't there my gut says Sorrells would have started as a freshman. Fact remains though, and any Furman fan (you know, the ones that actually watch our team play) will tell you that Sorrells was the golden boy the day he stepped on campus.

It has nothing to do with where he played once or twice in high school. You just chapped some people by adamantly saying he's never been a running back and always played quarterback, which just isn't cohesive to the facts.

Yeah? My gut tells me if Peyton Manning wasn't with the Colts his backup would be playing.

You spoke initially that Gray was a running back his first two years at Furman. My point was he was a QB, who was versital enough to play RB when depth was a problem. You Furman grads are all the same, (my wife is a FU grad) you just can't admit when you are wrong.xnodx

Sorrells is son of the OC (who is a former QB at FU). Sorrells has been groomed to be the FU QB since he was born. But, the last 2 years Gray has been "the guy".

Personally I am afraid you Furman faithful have too high of expectations for Jordan. But he will definitely be "the guy". I think he will be a good QB, maybe around 5th best in the SOCON. I wish him the best, I like his dad.

seantaylor
March 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM

Wait. It's the same with the Citadel. Travis Jervey leaves and ? steps in. Broughton leaves and ? steps in. Lawson leaves and ? steps in. xsmiley_wix

seantaylor
March 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah? My gut tells me if Peyton Manning wasn't with the Colts his backup would be playing.

You spoke initially that Gray was a running back his first two years at Furman. My point was he was a QB, who was versital enough to play RB when depth was a problem. You Furman grads are all the same, (my wife is a FU grad) you just can't admit when you are wrong.xnodx

Sorrells is son of the OC (who is a former QB at FU). Sorrells has been groomed to be the FU QB since he was born. But, the last 2 years Gray has been "the guy".

Personally I am afraid you Furman faithful have too high of expectations for Jordan. But he will definitely be "the guy". I think he will be a good QB, maybe around 5th best in the SOCON. I wish him the best, I like his dad.

I agree with a Citadel guy for once. Sorrells looks like the 4th best young QB in the conference. I would put Billy Lowe, Blanchard, and Elon's guy ahead of Sorrells.

FUwolfpacker
March 8th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I agree with a Citadel guy for once. Sorrells looks like the 4th best young QB in the conference. I would put Billy Lowe, Blanchard, and Elon's guy ahead of Sorrells.

Well of course you would put Lowe ahead of himxrolleyesx :p

I won't argue with having Riddle up there, he came in and did a great job for the whole season last year. I like what I've seen of Blanchard (91 attempts), but Lowe has only thrown 26 passes so I still don't know exactly what to expect from him.

Sorrells has thrown 199 passes over the last two seasons (including a few games where he had to come in and bring the team from behind to win on the last drive) so he definitely has more experience than Lowe or Blanchard. Doesn't mean he'll be better than either one of them, but he does have more experience which usually counts for something. We'll see how everything plays out.

fuEMO
March 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM

I have to call this total GSU bias. Sorrells has proved himself at quarterback, he did that in his freshman season alone.

The reason I would rank Sorrells right behind Edwards is the supporting cast. Sorrells will work behind probably the top offensive line in the SoCon from tackle to tackle. He will also have two of the top tight ends in the SoCon if not the nation. A faster and more physical receiving corp. And three very good tailback that can catch and run.

My question mark for Elon will be how much will they miss Warren Ruggiero. He was a coach that was considered a rising star and an innovator.

Jerbearasu
March 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I have to call this total GSU bias. Sorrells has proved himself at quarterback, he did that in his freshman season alone.

The reason I would rank Sorrells right behind Edwards is the supporting cast. Sorrells will work behind probably the top offensive line in the SoCon from tackle to tackle. He will also have two of the top tight ends in the SoCon if not the nation. A faster and more physical receiving corp. And three very good tailback that can catch and run.

My question mark for Elon will be how much will they miss Warren Ruggiero. He was a coach that was considered a rising star and an innovator.

There is always going to be bias in these. That is just to be expected. I think Sorrells will be above the middle of the pack in the SoCon but not at the top. I think Armanti and Scott Riddle are the top of the SoCon by quite a large margin at this point. Sorrells has potential to be really good. I know all GSU fans have a man crush on Lowe but I don't think he will be a superstar in this league. Same goes for Blanchard.

I agree with you that Elon's coach that left was great but Riddle still has a lot around him including probably the best returning WR in the nation...

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Billy Lowe might be a fine quarterback, but he's going to spend so much time on his backside we won't know in 2008. xlolx

Sorrells has already completed more passes than Billy Napier had at the same stage in his career (you remember the guy that came in and picked your defense apart in the semis in 2001, right?). Way more in fact.

Remember, Furman returns FOUR offensive linemen who gave up the fewest sacks in the league in 2007 (1 per game). Sorrells, if given time, torch a defense. He'll have plenty of targets. He's a great leader, knows the offense, and typically makes very good decisions. He's already played in and won some clutch games for us with his play.

Sean, your predictions are typically about as far off base as anything said on this board, so I'm actually glad you said that.

Death Dealer
March 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
purple makes me puke
xbawlingxEspecially when the guys wearing it are kicking your little bellhop a$$es! Which happens quite often! xlolx (and one year doesn't mean shyt citpup. I hope you enjoyed it, 'cause it's gonna be awhile before you get that pleasure again. xnodx)

08Dawg
March 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Wait. It's the same with the Citadel. Travis Jervey leaves and ? steps in. Broughton leaves and ? steps in. Lawson leaves and ? steps in. xsmiley_wix

Lawson leaves and Bart Blanchard and Andre Roberts step in.

08Dawg
March 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Especially when the guys wearing it are kicking your little bellhop a$$es! Which happens quite often! xlolx (and one year doesn't mean shyt citpup. I hope you enjoyed it, 'cause it's gonna be awhile before you get that pleasure again. xnodx)

54-51, PURPLE PUKE!!

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
54-51, PURPLE PUKE!!

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Wofford fans...The Citadel's finest.

citdog
March 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM

austin gets a dui and gets stopped with weed and bubba ass rapes him in prision

furman94
March 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
54-51, PURPLE PUKE!!

Is this the only thing you bellhops have to say to us? Wow! How many Socon Championships have you won? Whats the all time record FU vs Citadel? Oh that's right! Nevermindxeekxxwhistlex xwhistlex

OL FU
March 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
54-51, PURPLE PUKE!!

Horse murdering knobxsmiley_wix

Death Dealer
March 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
54-51, PURPLE PUKE!!

citdog
March 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

REP PTS