PDA

View Full Version : ASU - No Spring game ???

The Cats
March 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Due in large part to the limited personnel, Appalachian is not expected to hold the previously announced scrimmage on March 29 at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11631

KiddBrewer
March 3rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
and lingering injuries, the coaches claim

McNeese75
March 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
xeekx There better be a lot of healing going on in Boone between now and Labor Day.

Appinator
March 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
To point out a positive, Armanti entered the season with a hurt shoulder last year, and re-injured it during the Michigan game. Maybe this is the coaching staff’s solution to these types of offseason injuries that ended up costing us a couple of regular season games.

Tharrington, or Boo-Boo as I like to call him, is always hurt. He limps around like he was auditioning for Appalachian Emergency Room on SNL, but makes it in for the next play and still preforms at an All-American level. Just hope the rest of the group gets it together by the time summer rolls around.

Mountaineer
March 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
xeekx There better be a lot of healing going on in Boone between now and Labor Day.

I don't think there are substantial injuries now, nagging type of stuff most likely - it's more about avoiding any that may crop up. ASU has played 45 games the last three years. The guys have certainly earned some rest this Spring. xnodx

The Moody1
March 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Not having a spring game is no big deal. We have basically played four seasons worth of games in three years.

APPride
March 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
To point out a positive, Armanti entered the season with a hurt shoulder last year, and re-injured it during the Michigan game. Maybe this is the coaching staff’s solution to these types of offseason injuries that ended up costing us a couple of regular season games.

Tharrington, or Boo-Boo as I like to call him, is always hurt. He limps around like he was auditioning for Appalachian Emergency Room on SNL, but makes it in for the next play and still preforms at an All-American level. Just hope the rest of the group gets it together by the time summer rolls around.

Hah! Boo-Boo...classic. Is it true he is "double jointed" in most joints and what happens is he gets hyperextended on a play then it takes several minutes to "pop" back into place? I am always amazed @ how he limps off w/ what looks like a season ending injury and the next set of downs he's back in the trenches! xrotatehx

HighRyder08
March 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hah! Boo-Boo...classic. Is it true he is "double jointed" in most joints and what happens is he gets hyperextended on a play then it takes several minutes to "pop" back into place? I am always amazed @ how he limps off w/ what looks like a season ending injury and the next set of downs he's back in the trenches! xrotatehx

In my opinion I think alot of it is mental. One of my roomates is a former trainer for the team and would go out on the field whenever he was hurt...he was fine 95% of the time

Appinator
March 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
In my opinion I think alot of it is mental. One of my roomates is a former trainer for the team and would go out on the field whenever he was hurt...he was fine 95% of the time

HA! alright his official nickname is Gary "Boo-Boo" Tharington, spread the word.

appstate38
March 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
As long as they are getting done what they need to get done to get ready for August, the Spring game is meaningless.

HighRyder08
March 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
and its not like they wont scrimmage in practice... jerry knows what to do

McNeese75
March 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Not having a spring game is no big deal. We have basically played four seasons worth of games in three years.

xconfusedx And what does that have to do with 2008? Are you implying ASU should rest on their laurels for the last three years?

KiddBrewer
March 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
xconfusedx And what does that have to do with 2008? Are you implying ASU should rest on their laurels for the last three years?

i hope thats not what he is implying...

danefan
March 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Not a huge deal. I know a lot of teams have them, but at Albany we haven't had a spring game in about 8 or 9 years.

Our returning 3 year starting QB blew out his knee in the last spring game and was out the entire season because of it. Ever since then Coach Ford doesn't have a spring game. Still a ton of scrimmages in practice, but more controlled and more in tune with the exact needs of the team at that point.

McNeese75
March 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
i hope thats not what he is implying...

My reply was tongue-in-cheek. :) I certainly understand scaling back on Spring practice due to injuries or a large Sr. class from the previous season. I know McNeese has been forced to use the same QB for both teams before due to injuries. August Camp is obviously more critical. xnodx

PantherRob82
March 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
You'd think they'd just run a controlled spring scrimmage for the fans.

The Moody1
March 4th, 2008, 08:49 AM

No, it only implies that we have played four seasons worth of games in three years. We don't need no stinkin' scrimmage. xrolleyesx

GGASU
March 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Do we have a backup quarterback that knows the offense well enough to hold a scrimmage in Spring. The spring practice report I read was that A.E. is taking most of the snaps for the second string as well as the first.

Touchdown Yosef
March 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Do we have a backup quarterback that knows the offense well enough to hold a scrimmage in Spring. The spring practice report I read was that A.E. is taking most of the snaps for the second string as well as the first.

Coco is taking snaps as the backup. I personally think that he is the best option for backup QB. I would not expect him to be returning kicks again this year and I would like to see our new QB from Tampa be able to redshirt this year. It is hard to keep an athelete like that off the field to be a backup QB but I think he will see much less PT this year at WR. I would like to see him in the backfield a few times each game with Armanti and see him make a few throws. We'll see what happens.

HighRyder08
March 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Coco is our #2 qb as of a few days ago... i was hoping for a spring game though so we could see the potential of that new qb we signed

Touchdown Yosef
March 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Coco is our #2 qb as of a few days ago... i was hoping for a spring game though so we could see the potential of that new qb we signed

Now I could be confused here but isn't he still in High School?

lillycafe
March 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM

DeAndre Pressley is a senior in high school and will not be on campus probably until the summer.

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
It would be really cool if they ran reverses with Coco and gave him the option to throw it or run with it. Like the play with Randel El and Hines Ward in super bowl XL

Grabholdofyosef
March 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
It would be really cool if they ran reverses with Coco and gave him the option to throw it or run with it. Like the play with Randel El and Hines Ward in super bowl XL
It looked like they tried that near the end of the Michigan game and it looked scary. I think we should just keep it simple until someone stops us or we really need to open it up just like we have done the past three years. Spread em out, run the option in the middle between the tackles and throw when a slant or screen is open. No reason to get too tricky if dont have to.

HighRyder08
March 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
DeAndre Pressley is a senior in high school and will not be on campus probably until the summer.

i could be crazy but wasnt our spring scrimmage at the beginning of this past school year? im pretty sure i remember going to it... even if he doesnt come until this summer, wouldnt he be able to play in the spring game because it isnt held until the begininng of next school year? maybe im reffering to the wrong scrimmage? xconfusedx

appmountaineer
March 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
highryder the fall game is just a scrimmage to get the fans pumped up for the football season. Last year there was a spring game but it wasn't very publicized and i think very few people went. There will def. be a fall scrimmage a week or 2 weeks before the regular season.

appmountaineer
March 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
As for Coco at backup...i think we might see a sort of Jayson Foster roll from Coco next season. I expect since he has a lot of experience at WR he will be on the field often. As for returning kicks i'm not sure.

HighRyder08
March 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
highryder the fall game is just a scrimmage to get the fans pumped up for the football season. Last year there was a spring game but it wasn't very publicized and i think very few people went. There will def. be a fall scrimmage a week or 2 weeks before the regular season.

ok thanks for clearing that up..

ericsaid
March 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
It is the intra-squad game.

proasu89
March 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM

There were a couple thousand of us there last spring.