PDA

View Full Version : Big things to come from Sheonhoft to UD?

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Opinions?xcoffeex

Tubby Raymond
March 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
The offensive line is the dependant variable in this equation.

HENJOHN
March 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I beleive this kid has ALL the tools to be a very good QB for the Hens. Coming in early and for Spring ball is huge in getting to know the offense and new teammates. He is not only talented althetically, but is supposed to be a very bright young man.
I believe that with our current QB situation (Post-Flacco), that he gives us a MUCH better chance to win and should be a very good QB for us.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Will he be able to be a scrambler? I noticed he was moved to tight end for OSU so he can't be toooooo aweful slow.

Tubby Raymond
March 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
The TE move for exclusively for the purpose of parrottin the monster quick LSU TE for the scout team.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but he was also bumped to 3rd string?

I'd say either way it will be interesting. Especially to see the FU game.

GannonFan
March 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
He could be very good. But even UD fans haven't seen this guy yet since Spring practice doesn't even start until mid-March (and the Spring game is mid-April). I'm sure he'll be pretty good, but it takes more than a QB to be good. The running back situation, even sans-Cuff, should be fine as there's plenty of talent there to replace him, and all the WR's and TE's are back, so we'll have to see if the o-line can hold up. What could be a good thing for UD is pretty much the whole defense returns (9 starters and 20 of the 22 deep) and they really had some glimpses of greatness throughout the year, even with injuries.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM
I just wanted some opinions from civilized UD fans, the only ones who i've met yelled that Appalachian was going to lose big.

Syntax Error
March 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Opinions?xcoffeexWhat are you talking about?

henfan
March 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
It's Schoenhoft. Rob Schoenhoft. 6'6", 238 lbs.

It's expected that he can probably play a little bit.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56891

ChickenMan
March 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
considering the difficulty of the the Hen's '08 road schedule..

@Maryland
@Furman
@UMass
@Hofstra
@JMU
@Richmond

Schoenhoft had better be very good...

slostang
March 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM

@Maryland
@Furman
@UMass
@Hofstra
@JMU
@Richmond

No kidding. There is definately not a easy game on the road next year for the hens.

BDKJMU
March 3rd, 2008, 05:55 PM

@Maryland
@Furman
@UMass
@Hofstra
@JMU
@Richmond

Yep, plus whats going to be a very good Nova team a UD (well, I know thats always a UD home game :) Most brutal schedule I have ever seen. A mid pack ACC and likely 6 pre season top 25 teams (well maybe Hofstra) with 5 on the road (3 of those likely top 10).

89Hen
March 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Who knows?

But check out the laser throw at the 1:47 mark of this clip.... xeekx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VRtr2HGLw

henfan
March 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Gentlemen, gentlemen. I'd caution you about getting too overly pessimistic or excited about any team's chances in March based on a schedule. There's a looooooooong way to go before the season starts. A lot can and likely will happen in the next half year. Let's talk again in late August.

ChickenMan
March 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Gentlemen, gentlemen. I'd caution you about getting too overly pessimistic or excited about any team's chances in March based on a schedule. There's a looooooooong way to go before the season starts. A lot can and likely will happen in the next half year. Let's talk again in late August.

I can't think of much that could happen.. prior to September.. that would mitigate the difficulty of that '08 road schedule.

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I think people are talking about it now because August is five months away and there's nothing better to do than speculate.

Bluehenfan08
March 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I think our QB situation is going to be fine. I expect him to come in and pick up the offense pretty quickly. He has the benefit of spring practice. If we go 5 and 1 or 4 and 2 on the road and hold serve at home, we will be ok. If we go 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 we will make the playoffs. The playoffs are a outside chance at 8 and 4. I think this kid is going to surprise a lot of people.

henfan
March 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I can't think of much that could happen.. prior to September.. that would mitigate the difficulty of that '08 road schedule.

Nothing except injuries, personnel & late coaching changes, etc. What might seem like a potentially tough game in March could be weak in comparison come Sept.

bluehenbillk
March 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
UD's home schedule isn't very hard. 'Nova is the only conceivable worry. Hofstra is gonna be down & Furman lost a lot from a mediocre team. Win those 8 games we should be favored in & take 1 or 2 from the other 4 & we're in the playoffs.

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I think our QB situation is going to be fine. I expect him to come in and pick up the offense pretty quickly. He has the benefit of spring practice. If we go 5 and 1 or 4 and 2 on the road and hold serve at home, we will be ok. If we go 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 we will make the playoffs. The playoffs are a outside chance at 8 and 4. I think this kid is going to surprise a lot of people.

The only suprise would be if he came in and didn't start. I believe many people are already expecting him to come in and pick up where Joe left off. The suprise would be a bad season.xnodx

Rob Iola
March 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM
One intangible - Schoenhoft's naturally used to playing (or at least warming up) in front of OSU-sized crowds both home and away, so playing at Byrd Stadium next August 30th shouldn't intimidate him...

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't consider Furman a mediocre team or a sure win until after the game is over.

ChickenMan
March 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Nothing except injuries, personnel & late coaching changes, etc. What might seem like a potentially tough game in March could be weak in comparison come Sept.

Despite all those 'maybes' or maybe nots.. ;)... I would expect that most FCS fans would look at:

Maryland
Furman
UMass
Hofstra
JMU
Richmond

ALL away and say that is a VERY difficult road schedule.. regardless of the time of the year.

To pretend otherwise.. strikes me as whistling past the graveyard... :p

henfan
March 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ALL away and say that is a VERY difficult road schedule.. regardless of the time of the year.

Nah, not whistling at all. But far be it from me to stop budding Kreskins from predicting the Hens SOS this far out. I'll give you this: on paper, a half a year away from the first snap and based on last year's results, sure, this could be a tough road schedule.xsmiley_wix

With the exception of UMd, every one of the other teams you mentioned could incurr serious injuries between now and the time UD travels to their town. With FCS depth issues, it only takes a couple of key injuries to turn a so-called "difficult" game into a considerably less competitive one. I've been following this level of play since the Hens reclassified and have seen this principle play out time and time again.

Sorry to throw water on the conversation, but I'm just not terribly worried one way or the other about the schedule... at least not just yet.

henfan
March 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Nah, not whistling at all. But far be it from me to stop budding Kreskins from predicting the Hens SOS this far out. I'll give you this: on paper, a half a year away from the first snap and based on last year's results, sure, this could be a tough road schedule.xsmiley_wix

With the exception of UMd, every one of the other teams you mentioned could incurr serious injuries between now and the time UD travels to their town. With FCS depth issues, it only takes a couple of key injuries to turn a so-called "difficult" game into a considerably less competitive one. I've been following this level of play since the Hens reclassified and have seen this principle play out time and time again.

Sorry to throw water on the conversation, but I'm just not terribly worried one way or the other about the schedule... at least not just yet. OK, I think I've sufficiently belabored this point.xwhistlex (Now I'm whistling.)

bleedblue
March 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
We have got to see him in person first. But I will say he was ranked higher, much higher, out of high school. If memory serves Joe was #22 in the country but Rob was 5 or 6. I would also say Joe given a scholly to Pitt does not speak as loudly as OSU. We will keep you updated. BTW, UD fans at the NC game were supposed to say UD would win. As APP fans were also supposed to be saying. I also thought UD could sneek up on the, hopefully, over confident 2 time defending NC. Maybe if were lucky we sneek up on the, hopefully, over confident 3 time defending champ.

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hopefully, you'll have realized by now they usually don't get over confident.

So hopefully there will be another beat down at the Rock City, by the 3 time defending champxpeacex xthumbsupx

YoUDeeMan
March 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Who knows?

But check out the laser throw at the 1:47 mark of this clip.... xeekx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VRtr2HGLw

Wow!

Our WRs are going to have sore hands again this year.

BTW, anyone know who's song that was on the clip?

Sounds like a song Tarantino would use in one of his films. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
You just never know how a QB will work out. Joe Flacco was a good prospect who blossomed into a great player. W&M got Kevin Carty as a transfer from UNC in 1999. He'd been a top 10 QB out of high school, and ended up as a reserve for the Tribe.

Scheonhoft may explode out of the blocks as a star, but it's more likely there will be a bit of a learning curve. Flacco was in the program for two years before he took off.

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
UD's home schedule isn't very hard. 'Nova is the only conceivable worry.
I seem to remember a lot of this same talk in 2006 before Albany came to town. xeyebrowx xcoffeex