PDA

View Full Version : MEAC/SWAC Challenge is Set

Mr. Tiger
February 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM
JSU to open football season in Orlando
From special reports • February 28, 2008

Jackson State will open the 2008 football season on a Sunday in Orlando against Bethune Cookman University, school officials announced today.

The Tigers will play the Wildcats of Daytona Beach, Fla., on Aug. 31 at the Citrus Bowl as part of the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. The game will be televised by ESPN. A game time has not been set. xthumbsupx

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...30101/80228030

813Jag
February 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
JSU to open football season in Orlando
From special reports • February 28, 2008

Jackson State will open the 2008 football season on a Sunday in Orlando against Bethune Cookman University, school officials announced today.

The Tigers will play the Wildcats of Daytona Beach, Fla., on Aug. 31 at the Citrus Bowl as part of the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. The game will be televised by ESPN. A game time has not been set. xthumbsupx

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...30101/80228030
I'll take the short ride to see the SWAC win again. xthumbsupx

Big Dawg
February 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I might check that game out since FAMU is playing Delaware State that weeken in Dover.

nwFL Griz
February 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM
So does this mean the Bethune/Jacksonville game is cancelled, or are they rescheduling?

813Jag
February 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM
So does this mean the Bethune/Jacksonville game is cancelled, or are they rescheduling?
It maybe cancelled, because ESPN paid the buyout for the JSU/Northwestern St. game.

nwFL Griz
February 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
It maybe cancelled, because ESPN paid the buyout for the JSU/Northwestern St. game.

You're probably right, I was thinking ESPN might have done the same for the BCC/Jack game, was searching the net yesterday looking for any news to that effect, but no dice.

813Jag
February 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
You're probably right, I was thinking ESPN might have done the same for the BCC/Jack game, was searching the net yesterday looking for any news to that effect, but no dice.
It should be a good game, I want to see how JSU handles the Wyatt-bone.

Mr. Tiger
February 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
It should be a good game, I want to see how JSU handles the Wyatt-bone.

It will different. As you know, SWAC schools aren't known for keeping the ball on the ground. :)

813Jag
February 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It will different. As you know, SWAC schools aren't known for keeping the ball on the ground. :)
The SWAC seems to be going back to running the ball. I don't know if BCU has a QB to run their offense. xconfusedx

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM

That's slowly changing......

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Ain't Souverian coming back for his senior season???

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
The SWAC seems to be going back to running the ball. I don't know if BCU has a QB to run their offense. xconfusedx

Ain't Souverain coming back for his Senior season???

Syntax Error
February 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Methinks JSU wins this game.

813Jag
March 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hold the phones. Looks like BCU (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-classic290808,0,804926,print.story) won't be playing in this game after all. Could this be affects of Disney pulling out of the Florida Classic? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hold the phones. Looks like BCU (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-classic290808,0,804926,print.story) won't be playing in this game after all. Could this be affects of Disney pulling out of the Florida Classic? xconfusedx

What's going on now?

A shame if this game gets called off as I really wanted to see JSU vs NWST, which was bought out...perhaps JSU could find another SLC foe...

813Jag
March 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
What's going on now?

A shame if this game gets called off as I really wanted to see JSU vs NWST, which was bought out...perhaps JSU could find another SLC foe...
Florida A&M and Bethune Cookman won't be playing any additional games in Orlando outside of the Florida Classic. I don't know where this leaves Jackson State. xconfusedx

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Florida A&M and Bethune Cookman won't be playing any additional games in Orlando outside of the Florida Classic. I don't know where this leaves Jackson State. xconfusedx

Where does it leave Bethune Cookman? Did they have 11 games on their schedule besides this one? Or just 10?

813Jag
March 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Where does it leave Bethune Cookman? Did they have 11 games on their schedule besides this one? Or just 10?
I don't know where that leaves BCU or the MEAC/SWAC Challenge.

Mr. Tiger
March 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM

I don't understand this move by BC, but it leaves JSU hoping that ESPN can find another MEAC school and that will be tough unless they buy out another game. xsmhx

Or they could call this game the "Enter Your Conference Here/SWAC Challenge." xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
March 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
I don't understand this move by BC, but it leaves JSU hoping that ESPN can find another MEAC school and that will be tough unless they buy out another game. xsmhx

Or they could call this game the "Enter Your Conference Here/SWAC Challenge." xlolx

Okay, dumb question: why wouldn't Del State or Norfolk State, the two best teams in the conference, play in this? Hampton played a couple of years ago too...

And if another MEAC team plays in the challenge, what does that do to their relationship with B-CC or FAMU? xeyebrowx

FAMU and BCC were sounding pretty hardline over this:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=famu-b-cc-strike-back-at-disney&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

FAMU, B-CC Strike Back at Disney

Both schools say they won’t play any other team in Orlando - which precludes the Wildcats from playing in the MEAC/SWAC challenge August 31, the game Disney has decided to sponsor in Orlando instead of the Florida Classic.

ORLANDO — One mouse won’t stop the largest black-college football game in the country from getting its cheese.

That is the message the presidents at Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman sent Friday, a day after learning that Disney had pulled out of its title sponsorship deal with the annual Florida Classic.

Big Dawg
March 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM

I mean why should BCU play in the game for a sponsor that just dropped their biggest game of the year???

813Jag
March 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Okay, dumb question: why wouldn't Del State or Norfolk State, the two best teams in the conference, play in this? Hampton played a couple of years ago too...

And if another MEAC team plays in the challenge, what does that do to their relationship with B-CC or FAMU? xeyebrowx

FAMU and BCC were sounding pretty hardline over this:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=famu-b-cc-strike-back-at-disney&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Last season the Challenge went away from having the champion of each conference in the game.

Mr. Tiger
March 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
I mean why should BCU play in the game for a sponsor that just dropped their biggest game of the year???

Sponsors decide not to renew contracts every year. The FBS bowl games for example. But both schools have the right to do what they feel is best. I'm sure ESPN will find another team to take Bethune Cookman's place.

Syntax Error
March 1st, 2008, 11:46 PM
Sponsors decide not to renew contracts every year. The FBS bowl games for example. But both schools have the right to do what they feel is best. I'm sure ESPN will find another team to take Bethune Cookman's place.Maybe Delaware State?

TexasTerror
March 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Maybe Delaware State?

That's who I thought it would be in the first place...they pulled out of the game with Northwestern State...

Mr. Tiger
March 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
That's who I thought it would be in the first place...they pulled out of the game with Northwestern State...

It will probably be Delaware State. But Bethune Cookman would have been a better draw at the gate because it is located near Orlando and Jackson State has a good travel base.

813Jag
March 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
It will probably be Delaware State. But Bethune Cookman would have been a better draw at the gate because it is located near Orlando and Jackson State has a good travel base.
I'm hoping to be there no matter who JSU plays.

Big Dawg
March 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Maybe Delaware State?

We play Delaware State that weekend

Mr. Tiger
March 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
We play Delaware State that weekend

The FAMU-DSU game is the next weekend, not aug. 31