PDA

View Full Version : Delaware O-Coordinator moves to Rutgers

HENJOHN
February 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080228/SPORTS/80228028/1002/SPORTS&GID=hxNjoTfUGgR4euoalAsMR9DlOaS7qC+0SY/+d2VGhfc%3D

Hens OC Kirk Ciarocca moves to Rutgers. WR Coach Brian Ginn (former Hen QB in late '90's) is expected to take over.

Seahawks Fan
February 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Good for him. The Scarlet Knights are going places. xthumbsupx

LacesOut
February 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I know quite a few UD fans who will be happy about this move.

bandl
February 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM

I was just going to ask....how do UD fans feel about this? xconfusedx Will this be a major change for the offense? Or will the projected OC just pick up where he left off? BTW, 30 years old seems mighty young to be an OC! xeekx

danefan
February 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I BTW, 30 years old seems mighty young to be an OC! xeekx

Sure does, but Major Applewhite was the OC at Rice when he was 28.

bandl
February 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Sure does, but Major Applewhite was the OC at Rice when he was 28.

And Rice sure does kick ass!!! xsmiley_wix

danefan
February 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Yeah true. But now he's Associate Head Coach and QB coach at Texas at age 30. So it worked for him.xthumbsupx

Seahawks Fan
February 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Greg Schiano was 34 when he became head coach at Rutgers,

UCAMonkey
February 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM

They finally made it to a bowl game before he left for OC at Alabama.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Don't worry, UD fans. They'll find a transfer that can do the job.

:p

HENJOHN
February 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Don't worry, UD fans. They'll find a transfer that can do the job.

:p

Whatever it takes baby! This time though it most likely will be former Blue Hen QB Brian Ginn from the late '90's taking over.

ChickenMan
February 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I was just going to ask....how do UD fans feel about this? xconfusedx Will this be a major change for the offense? Or will the projected OC just pick up where he left off? BTW, 30 years old seems mighty young to be an OC! xeekx

Many UD fans were not all that happy with Kirk Ciarocca as the OC and some will probably be glad to see him move on. Their chief compliant was that UD 's offense was sometimes too conservative and predictable. I never held that view myself.. as the Hen's offense has been very productive under little KC. But either way.. this is another loss from a coaching staff that had already lost numerous other assistants in recent years and I don't view that as a positive.

phillyAPP
February 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Many UD fans were not all that happy with Kirk Ciarocca as the OC and some will probably be glad to see him move on. Their chief compliant was that UD 's offense was sometimes too conservative and predictable. I never held that view myself.. as the Hen's offense has been very productive under little KC. But either way.. this is another loss from a coaching staff that had already lost numerous other assistants in recent years and I don't view that as a positive.

Success kicks you in many ways but you always find a way to win. Thats why UD made it to Chattanooga.

Good Luck Hens ! I hope someday to go home to watch app play in New ark. xthumbsupx

HENJOHN
February 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I agree with Chickenman's assessment. Many Hen fans do not like Ciarrocca but I was not one in that camp. Sure, we never agree with all of the calls we see from our teams, but its hard to look past some of the successes we had with Kirk.
I beleive Ginn could be a good one after 8 years on the staff.

89Hen
February 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM

http://www.bonusround.com/book2-9/images/vcu-steve1.jpg

GannonFan
February 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Losing Ciarocca is a mixed bag - at times the offense has been very, very good ('03, Maine in '04, Navy and most of the time last year, almost always against JMU) but at times he was painfully uncreative (Albany in '06, UNH in '07, nova in '07). He obviously could recruit as the '03 team and the '07 teams were loaded on offense, and he obviously did a great job with QB's, first with Hall (NFL draft pick), then Riccio (Riccio would've been great in '05 had the starting two receivers not missed that year) and then Flacco (potential first round NFL pick). And all 3 of those guys couldn't crack a starting lineup in FBS so it's not like he just had great players.

This won't be a big loss, or even a loss at all, if Ginn is ready to take the reins. Ginn is a former QB at UD and has been on the staff for 8 years. He should be ready to take the reins and he's already a pretty decent recruiter - apparently he was key in getting Thaxton from VA to come to UD. Maybe we get the good parts of Ciarocca without the confoundingly bad games.

89Hen
February 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
at times he was painfully uncreative (Albany in '06, UNH in '07, nova in '07)
JMU and/or W&M 2004. Worst final two minutes and worst 4th quarter ever. xnonono2x

GannonFan
February 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
JMU and/or W&M 2004. Worst final two minutes and worst 4th quarter ever. xnonono2x

Hofstra in '05 was another one. nova in '06 in the second half too. You're right, even within games he could be inconsistent.

ngineer
February 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
So the Hens will be playing gin this year? What will be in the cards? Will they be playing with a full deck? Don't forget the olives, either!...;) :D

BDKJMU
February 29th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Losing Ciarocca is a mixed bag - at times the offense has been very, very good ('03, Maine in '04, Navy and most of the time last year, almost always against JMU) but at times he was painfully uncreative (Albany in '06, UNH in '07, nova in '07). He obviously could recruit as the '03 team and the '07 teams were loaded on offense, and he obviously did a great job with QB's, first with Hall (NFL draft pick), then Riccio (Riccio would've been great in '05 had the starting two receivers not missed that year) and then Flacco (potential first round NFL pick). And all 3 of those guys couldn't crack a starting lineup in FBS so it's not like he just had great players.

This won't be a big loss, or even a loss at all, if Ginn is ready to take the reins. Ginn is a former QB at UD and has been on the staff for 8 years. He should be ready to take the reins and he's already a pretty decent recruiter - apparently he was key in getting Thaxton from VA to come to UD. Maybe we get the good parts of Ciarocca without the confoundingly bad games.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration to say the least. This guy took over as o coordinator for UD in 02' right? Ciarocca led UD offense against JMU:

-02': 23-10 UD victory. UD 351 yards total offense. Decent, good maybe, but hardly what I would call to quote you "very, very good."

-03' JMU & UD did not play

-04' JMU 20-13 win. UD did put up 466 against JMU on the one hand, but they had the ball 1st and goal inside JMU's 10 FIVE times and could only score one TD along with 2 field goals. That was red zone ineptitude at its best.

-05' UD 34-28 win. UD 414 yards total offense. UD offense very successful there.

-06' JMU led 37-10 until UD got 2 garbage time TDs in the last 8:44 of the 4th quarter. UD finished with only 311 yards total offense, and only 175 until 11:33 in the 3rd quarter before those last 2 garbage time drives against JMU's backups (also was a Flacco fumble in between returned for a TD). Hardly what I would call offensive success that game.

07'- 37-34 UD win, UD 418 yards total offense. UD offense very successful.

Thats 5 times his offense went up against JMU, and only 2 times could be called to quote you, "very, very good", 3 if you count 04', but I don't care if your offense can march up and down the field, if your redzone offense can't score, thats not being "very, very good". And yet you said his offense was " very, very good" and "almost always against JMU". 2 or 3 of 5 times. Baloney. Bottom line id sometimes his offenses were very good against JMU, and sometimes they weren't. About an even split.

bluehenbillk
February 29th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I think GF meant they were really good against JMU when Cuff played.

The other UD posters are basically correct, "little KC" as he was called was not a fan favorite by any means. Many fans feel he should have done a lot more with the talent pool he was blessed with & was way too predictable, almost macho with his play calls at times.

Bring on the Ginn era.

Tribe4SF
February 29th, 2008, 07:22 AM
BTW, 30 years old seems mighty young to be an OC! xeekx

Jimmye Laycock was 27 when he was hired as OC at Clemson. Brian Ginn is a bright, and talented guy from my area who I think will do a fine job for the Hens.

89Hen
February 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM
but at times he was painfully uncreative (Albany in '06, UNH in '07, nova in '07).

Hofstra in '05 was another one. nova in '06 in the second half too. You're right, even within games he could be inconsistent.
The fact that we can rattle off that many bad games, you can see why I'm not going to lose any sleep over his departure. xcoffeex xsmiley_wix

Ud1Hens
February 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM
When your OC leaves 2 weeks before Spring Ball it can really handcuff your team in development of players, getting new players involved, and hurt you moving forward towards the season. That is why I LOVE that they brought in Brian Ginn. You get a guy who knows the players inside and out, he watched film with them, they are comfortable with him, etc. You don't have the period when the new guy is feeling out what he has. Great move by UD to get a guy who will prove his worth.

89Hen
February 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM
-04' JMU 20-13 win. UD did put up 466 against JMU on the one hand, but they had the ball 1st and goal inside JMU's 10 FIVE times and could only score one TD along with 2 field goals. That was red zone ineptitude at its best.
Don't even get me started. 1st and goal on the 3 with 58 seconds to go and they spike the ball on first down (blew two TO's earlier in the fourth in the same drive when kc couldn't get the play in on time). Then line up with an empty backfield three plays in a row...

D 2-G Sonny Riccio pass incomplete to Brian Ingram
D 3-G Sonny Riccio pass incomplete to G.J. Crescione
D 4-G Sonny Riccio pass incomplete to David Boler

Oh, BTW... Omar Cuff 34 rushes for 162 yards, 4.8 per carry, with a long of only 20. JMU could do nothing to stop him all day and he's on the sideline on the last set of downs. xnonono2x

BTW, to be completely fair the special teams lost that game (blocked punt, blocked FG, punt returned for a TD)... maybe I sould be really completely fair and say that JMU's special teams won that game. :)

BTW2, can you tell I'm still bitter on that game? I was there and it was a painful ride home. It also cost the Hens the conference title as their only other losses that year were OOC.

mcveyrl
February 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Don't even get me started. 1st and goal on the 3 with 58 seconds to go and they spike the ball on first down (blew two TO's earlier in the fourth in the same drive when kc couldn't get the play in on time). Then line up with an empty backfield three plays in a row...

D 2-G Sonny Riccio pass incomplete to Brian Ingram
D 3-G Sonny Riccio pass incomplete to G.J. Crescione
D 4-G Sonny Riccio pass incomplete to David Boler

Oh, BTW... Omar Cuff 34 rushes for 162 yards, 4.8 per carry, with a long of only 20. JMU could do nothing to stop him all day and he's on the sideline on the last set of downs. xnonono2x

BTW, to be completely fair the special teams lost that game (blocked punt, blocked FG, punt returned for a TD)... maybe I sould be really completely fair and say that JMU's special teams won that game. :)

BTW2, can you tell I'm still bitter on that game? I was there and it was a painful ride home. It also cost the Hens the conference title as their only other losses that year were OOC.

I thought you didn't care about conference titles?xconfusedx You guys went to the playoffs, so no harm, right?;) :D

I agree, though. How can Cuff NOT be in the game? Especially in retrospect...I mean, he's a TD machine!!

GannonFan
February 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I thought you didn't care about conference titles?xconfusedx You guys went to the playoffs, so no harm, right?;) :D

I agree, though. How can Cuff NOT be in the game? Especially in retrospect...I mean, he's a TD machine!!

What made it worse was that it was just a preview of the bigger collapse to come. Up by 21 points against W&M to start the 4th quarter in the '04 quarters, Cuff already has something like 170 yards up to that point, and he doesn't touch the ball at all in the 4th quarter, and the Hens lose in the second OT (after W&M missed the XP in the 2nd OT and UD could've won the game with just a TD and XP - again they had 4 downs inside the 10 and couldn't score). How someone like Cuff doesn't get a single touch in one quarter is just inexcusable.

YoUDeeMan
February 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
What made it worse was that it was just a preview of the bigger collapse to come. Up by 21 points against W&M to start the 4th quarter in the '04 quarters, Cuff already has something like 170 yards up to that point, and he doesn't touch the ball at all in the 4th quarter, and the Hens lose in the second OT (after W&M missed the XP in the 2nd OT and UD could've won the game with just a TD and XP - again they had 4 downs inside the 10 and couldn't score). How someone like Cuff doesn't get a single touch in one quarter is just inexcusable.

Ouch, that still hurts! And it is still just as unbelievable now as it was then. Little KC made Cuff disappear - poof! Can you imagine the Redskins not running Riggins in the fourth? xoopsx

That cost us a title shot. xnonono2x

Bye-bye, little KC. xnodx

GannonFan
February 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Thats a bit of an exaggeration to say the least. This guy took over as o coordinator for UD in 02' right? Ciarocca led UD offense against JMU:

-02': 23-10 UD victory. UD 351 yards total offense. Decent, good maybe, but hardly what I would call to quote you "very, very good."

-03' JMU & UD did not play

-05' UD 34-28 win. UD 414 yards total offense. UD offense very successful there.

-06' JMU led 37-10 until UD got 2 garbage time TDs in the last 8:44 of the 4th quarter. UD finished with only 311 yards total offense, and only 175 until 11:33 in the 3rd quarter before those last 2 garbage time drives against JMU's backups (also was a Flacco fumble in between returned for a TD). Hardly what I would call offensive success that game.

07'- 37-34 UD win, UD 418 yards total offense. UD offense very successful.

Thats 5 times his offense went up against JMU, and only 2 times could be called to quote you, "very, very good", 3 if you count 04', but I don't care if your offense can march up and down the field, if your redzone offense can't score, thats not being "very, very good". And yet you said his offense was " very, very good" and "almost always against JMU". 2 or 3 of 5 times. Baloney. Bottom line id sometimes his offenses were very good against JMU, and sometimes they weren't. About an even split.

You're just missing the context of those games, which is kinda important. In '04 we didn't move up and down the field against anyone, that is, however, except for when we played JMU. Sure the offense was stymied in the red zone, but we stunk in the red zone all year - the JMU game wasn't anything special in that regard. What was different, though, is that we marched all over the field. Didn't do that against anyone else much that year.

In '05, to make that even more significant, UD was banged up galore. UD played without its top 4 WR's, didn't even play with a kicker that day, and started a true freshman on the offensive line who didn't know he was going to play and burn his redshirt until the Friday before the game. And was going up against the best defense in the conference that year in JMU and put up the numbers they did. And using an offense that Matthews poo pooed after the game because it was that belly option offense that strangely he runs now with Landers.

'06 was a throw away year - no Cuff, no defense - heck, Towson destroyed us the game before. No offensive coordinator was going to do anything with that offense at that point in the season.

And '07 was pretty self explanatory.

For offensive teams that weren't always very good, UD had a strange knack to all of sudden become very proficient when going up against JMU.

89Hen
February 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Very astute observation and one I even thought of when I posted, so I should have clarified... the title wasn't as important as having to go on the road in the playoffs. Had the Hens beaten JMU, we would have had W&M's seed. The Hens beat W&M in the regular season and both teams would have been 9-2 with one of the losses being to a I-A. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but that's why it sticks in my craw. xpeacex

mcveyrl
February 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Very astute observation and one I even thought of when I posted, so I should have clarified... the title wasn't as important as having to go on the road in the playoffs. Had the Hens beaten JMU, we would have had W&M's seed. The Hens beat W&M in the regular season and both teams would have been 9-2 with one of the losses being to a I-A. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but that's why it sticks in my craw. xpeacex

I hear ya, I'm just giving you a hard time when the opportunity arises.:D

89Hen
February 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I'm just giving you a hard time when the opportunity arises.:D
You and everyone else. :( xsmiley_wix :p

MR. CHICKEN
February 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
SEE YA KIRK..........THANKY FO' LEAVIN' DIS BEHIND......xnodx....BRAWK!

KOACH KIM.........LADY HEN LAX!

LacesOut
February 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Uhhhhmmmm, imo, she has hit the wall.

BDKJMU
February 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
You're just missing the context of those games, which is kinda important. In '04 we didn't move up and down the field against anyone, that is, however, except for when we played JMU. Sure the offense was stymied in the red zone, but we stunk in the red zone all year - the JMU game wasn't anything special in that regard. What was different, though, is that we marched all over the field. Didn't do that against anyone else much that year.

In '05, to make that even more significant, UD was banged up galore. UD played without its top 4 WR's, didn't even play with a kicker that day, and started a true freshman on the offensive line who didn't know he was going to play and burn his redshirt until the Friday before the game. And was going up against the best defense in the conference that year in JMU and put up the numbers they did. And using an offense that Matthews poo pooed after the game because it was that belly option offense that strangely he runs now with Landers.

'06 was a throw away year - no Cuff, no defense - heck, Towson destroyed us the game before. No offensive coordinator was going to do anything with that offense at that point in the season.

And '07 was pretty self explanatory.

For offensive teams that weren't always very good, UD had a strange knack to all of sudden become very proficient when going up against JMU.

My whole point was (go with) 3 times in 5 years being very, very good doesn't = almost always.

So 2 seasons UD (04' had a mediocre offense with a great game plan and 05' had hamstrung/banged up/shortchanged offense) and both years huge offensive success against JMU that they didn't have most of the season. 2 times in 5 years I still wouldn't call a "knack to all of a sudden become very proficient when going up against JMU." Not enough there to establish a trend.

Ram Ball
March 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I wonder if the vacancy at Rutgers is the one created by Coach Rizzi's departure?