PDA

View Full Version : Wagner College: Going Hawaiian?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080227/SPORTS16/802270412/1064/SPORTS16

Saddleback College defensive back Mikah Pada (Kealakehe '05 of Kailua, Kona) has signed with Wagner College (Staten Island, N.Y.).

Who knew: Wagner College, going national with recruiting?

Seriously, does this mean the NEC has not only arrived, but they are starting to get players from everywhere?

Seahawks Fan
February 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Wagner announces 21 recruits
Cornerback Pada of Hawaii will own the record for player whose home is the furthest from Grymes Hill

Friday, February 08, 2008
By JACK MINOGUE
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Mikah Pada will own a Wagner College record even before he vies to replace Al Phillips, the Seahawks' record-setting cornerback, when preseason practice begins in August.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pounder will own the record for player whose home is the furthest distance from Grymes Hill: Pada hails from Kamuela, Hawaii.

No, coach Walt Hameline didn't send one of his assistants 5,000 miles to recruit players.

"I'm sure I'd have plenty of volunteers if I wanted to, though," Hameline smiled yesterday when he announced the first 21 players who committed to play football at Wagner.

Pada earned a reputation as a "lock-down" cornerback when he played the last two seasons at Saddleback (Ariz.) College.

Wagner had some help recruiting the first-team All-Mission Conference selection, Pada said last night.

"Wagner offered a full scholarship and I wanted to play Division I football and get a great education," he said, then admitted he had other Division I offers.

"But when I took the trip to Wagner (on Jan. 19), I really liked the East Coast, and New York City is amazing. I'm always willing to change -- to try something new."

Even 5,000 miles from home.

http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/index.ssf?/base/Sports/1202480125308440.xml&coll=1

dgreco
February 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Wagner announces 21 recruits
Cornerback Pada of Hawaii will own the record for player whose home is the furthest from Grymes Hill

Friday, February 08, 2008
By JACK MINOGUE
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Mikah Pada will own a Wagner College record even before he vies to replace Al Phillips, the Seahawks' record-setting cornerback, when preseason practice begins in August.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pounder will own the record for player whose home is the furthest distance from Grymes Hill: Pada hails from Kamuela, Hawaii.

No, coach Walt Hameline didn't send one of his assistants 5,000 miles to recruit players.

"I'm sure I'd have plenty of volunteers if I wanted to, though," Hameline smiled yesterday when he announced the first 21 players who committed to play football at Wagner.

Pada earned a reputation as a "lock-down" cornerback when he played the last two seasons at Saddleback (Ariz.) College.

Wagner had some help recruiting the first-team All-Mission Conference selection, Pada said last night.

"Wagner offered a full scholarship and I wanted to play Division I football and get a great education," he said, then admitted he had other Division I offers.

"But when I took the trip to Wagner (on Jan. 19), I really liked the East Coast, and New York City is amazing. I'm always willing to change -- to try something new."

Even 5,000 miles from home.

http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/index.ssf?/base/Sports/1202480125308440.xml&coll=1
It is good to be able to advertise that to the students, close enough, but far away enough. Also, the views from the campus are great. Good class

401ks
February 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I'm not sure how this mistake keeps getting repeated, but Saddleback College is a local Junior College here in Orange County, California.

Here's a link to the OCVarsity list of Orange County High School and JC recruits:

http://www.ocvarsity.com/ocvarsity/todaysregister/article_1975696.php

Congratulations to Mr. Pada. I am certain that he will enjoy his time at Wagner. xthumbsupx

UAalum72
February 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Who knew: Wagner College, going national with recruiting?

Seriously, does this mean the NEC has not only arrived, but they are starting to get players from everywhere?
Wagner's not even leading the way in the NEC; last year St. Francis had four players from Hawai'i and one (and maybe more in the past) from Pago Pago, American Samoa

downbythebeach
February 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Wagner's not even leading the way in the NEC; last year St. Francis had four players from Hawai'i and one (and maybe more in the past) from Pago Pago, American Samoa

2 of them transfered and played for University of Hawaii last year

1 has draft potential..........too bad he left

DFW HOYA
February 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Presumably from those that didn't offer scholarships. xeyebrowx

Seahawks Fan
February 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Presumably from those that didn't offer scholarships. xeyebrowx

Why do you presume that? xconfusedx

CSUBUCDAD
February 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
CSU picked up their first Hawaii recruit this year as well. JUCO transfer from Cali.

Seawolf97
February 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a good pick up. Wait till he suits up for a November game at Albany or Robert Morris-it could be brisk!

blueballs
February 28th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Hamline has been recruiting Florida for years... my business partner's nephew, who went to HS at Dr. Phillips in Orlando, played there.

Pards Rule
February 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Holy crap! Kudos to the 'Hawks! Damn, Hamline's still there? Bill Russo, venerable Lafayette head coach (1981-99) was previously the HC at Wagner before coming to College Hill and turning around a moribund Leopards squad. I believe Hamline was his OC there and he took over when Russo left for Lafayette. In fact, if I recall, after Russo's opening game at Lafayette (51-0 win over Central Conn.) he went to Wagner to watch Hamline's crew - must have been a night game in Staten Island? Hell, we only got lights last year!