PDA

View Full Version : Who's Who in I-AA

ChickenMan
September 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM
After four weeks does anyone care to speculate as to who are the teams to beat in the various conferences? Seems to me that after a month... we know less... rather than more... as to who will emerge from the various I-AA leagues. I can't think of one clear cut favorite in any I-AA playoff league... it all seems to be about as clear as mud at this point.

kats89
September 26th, 2005, 08:42 AM
After four weeks does anyone care to speculate as to who are the teams to beat in the various conferences? Seems to me that after a month... we know less... rather than more... as to who will emerge from the various I-AA leagues. I can't think of one clear cut favorite in any I-AA playoff league... it all seems to be about as clear as mud at this point.

I would say that in the Southland right now, McNeese and Texas State are the teams to watch. NW St is up and down. But, in this conference anything can happen.

89Hen
September 26th, 2005, 09:04 AM
After four weeks does anyone care to speculate as to who are the teams to beat in the various conferences?
You kidding? This is easy, I'll start...

Patriot - Lehigh
Ivy - Harvard
Big South - Coastal Carolina
Independent - Savannah State

Somebody else can do the easy ones. :p

Killtoppers90
September 26th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I think the gateway is a bit too murky to call for a true leader yet. WKU, SIU, UNI and Ill. St. are all in the hunt this season.

Gil Dobie
September 26th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Cal-Poly, UC-Davis and NDSU in the Great West.

TxSt02
September 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I would say that in the Southland right now, McNeese and Texas State are the teams to watch. NW St is up and down. But, in this conference anything can happen.

I am also not sure about Sam Houston... They could come out strong...

GrizzlyEdd
September 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM
In the Big Sky.... could be anyone but Sacramento State, Weber, and probably Northern Arizona. How about a tie between Idaho State, Eastern Washington, Montana State, and Montana:p :D ;)

Cocky
September 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM
This weekend will give you the frontrunner in the OVC. JSU and EKU play for what should be the championship. I don't see any other teams that could beat both JSU and EKU.

McNeese72
September 26th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Right now, I just wondering if we are ever going to have a home game. Latest, I heard they aren't going to let us back home until Oct 3rd and they are starting to waffle on that date.

PMB4Life
September 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Gateway: UNI/WKU
Southland: McNeese St.
Big South: Coastal Carolina
A-10: Delaware
SoCon: Appy St.
OVC: JSU
Great West: Montana/MSU
Patriot: Lehigh?
GWFC: NDSU

But that's just mere speculation. I could easily be wrong on all counts.

OL FU
September 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Southern

Appalachain appears to be playing the best ball.
I think we would have a better of idea of Western Carolina if the Nicholls game had not been cancelled. They have played well. The question is as always can they keep it up. I think they can.
Georgia Southern and Furman started the climb back up.
Wofford's next caliber team is in 10/22 against ASU.

With that said I think Chattanooga may pull an upset and Wofford goes there this week. Chattanooga didn't stop GSU and my guess is they will not stop Wofford.

Five way race with FU and GSU starting 0-1 the other three 1-0.

DetroitFlyer
September 26th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Dayton, Drake, San Diego all of the PFL North Division.

CatFan22
September 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Should be the Big Sky.

bunny
September 26th, 2005, 11:43 AM
In the A-10.... the winner of the UMass / New Hampshire game should win the North half of the standings. UNH looks strong and could possibly run the table.

In the South... James Madison, Delaware, Villanova, and William & Mary will beat up on each other again in conference play. There's no clear favorite there yet.

Not really going out on a limb to write because they are the highest ranked... but New Hampshire is the team to beat right now.

89Hen
September 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
the winner of the UMass / New Hampshire game should win the North half of the standings.
Agreed, plus UNH misses UD and JMU while UMass doesn't.

Chi Panther
September 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I think the gateway is a bit too murky to call for a true leader yet. WKU, SIU, UNI and Ill. St. are all in the hunt this season.

I agree completely :)

primetime21
September 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM

I think Western Kentucky is the team to beat in the Gateway...they have both Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa at home this season.

Tod
September 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM
In the Big Sky.... could be anyone but Sacramento State, Weber, and probably Northern Arizona. How about a tie between Idaho State, Eastern Washington, Montana State, and Montana:p :D ;)

Don't forget PSU!!

GOKATS
September 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Montana and MSU are in the Big Sky.

Eagles_Cliff
September 26th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I may have gotten carried away with my research for the question posed in this thread, but here goes:

A-10: Delaware, NH, and Nova are the only teams with notable OOC victories, but Lehigh, UC-Davis, and Penn aren't exactly impressive. UMass' loss to
Colgate is OOC, but is not a quality loss.

Big Sky: Portland St. and Idaho St. are looking good so far, but Mont St. and Montana should be in the running.

Big South: Coastal Carolina should run away with the conference with Gardner-Webb being the other good team, but G-W has a tougher remaining schedule.

Gateway: WKU and S. Ill look like the top dogs

Great West: Cal-Poly and ND St. look like they're quality teams and UC- Davis' victory over Stanford is impressive.

OVC: Tenn-Martin is the lone team in the conference with a winning record and E. Ill is .500. that being said, EKU's 3 losses (App. St., NC St., WKU) were against tough OOC opponents and they weren't embarrassed against the I-AA's. EKU has a great shot at being an 8-3 OVC champ.

SoCon: App St is playing the best and after this week off, they play FU, GSU, and Wofford. Western Carolina is the only other team in the So Con with consistancy so far and after this weeks home date with Citadel, they come to Statesboro. Oct 8 App St. @ Furman Western Carolina @ GSU will make SoCon picture clearer

Southland: A lot of folks down there have more on their minds than football and, like many here, my thoughts and prayers are with them.
Texas St. and SFA look like the strongest teams so far. The rest of the conference hasn't played enough to evaluate. McNeese beat GSU in Statesboro, but that might not be a big deal in 2005. Nicholls St. gave Indiana all they wanted, but that's still an L.

Patriot: Lafayette and Lehigh
MEAC: Hampton, SC ST., and BCC

Knowing Who's Who will be clearer Oct. 9

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
For the Patriot League, Lehigh's still on top so far. Lafayette's still up there, but Lehigh gets the edge in their game this year, I think. Colgate remains a dark horse (bit of a homer pick, but bear with me here) because they get Lehigh in Hamilton in late October (that weather, you know), and Lafayette hasn't beaten them in 8 years. Georgetown seems to have fallen back to earth after beating Bucknell, the Bison and Rams have shown little to prove they could be contenders, I think. Holy Cross is still a great variable. They've proven they can hang with teams like Harvard and Delaware, but I don't think they've really proven they can be consistent defensively.

So really, I'm still tentatively picking Lehigh.

SCSUDog4Life
September 26th, 2005, 03:52 PM
MEAC-Hampton and South Carolina State are the frontrunners; Their matchup on October 22 should determine who'll win the conference

SWAC-After losing to SCSU in teh MEAC/SWAC Challenge, Alabama State has been playing inspired football. Look for them to repeat as SWAC Champs, unless Grambling has something to say about it.

Big South-Five football playing Schools. Coastal upset James Madison. Ran the table last year in the conference in 2nd year of existence. Don't see why they won't do it again.

Southern-Furman has "eeked" by with a lot of victories this season. Not the powerhouse people are used to seeing. Georgia Southern looks like they're on the decline without Chaz Williams. J. Austin can't do it all. Look for App State and Western Carolina to turn some serious heads in the conference this year. Also, never forget about Mike Ayers and Wofford. They're the darkhorse this year.

Dallas Demon
September 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Agreed. Typically when the conference play starts Southland teams beat up on each other. I'd like to think Northwestern has the talent, but we need to start playing like it quickly. I'd say all 7 teams have a chance to win it at this point - someone needs to step up.

kats89
September 26th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Agreed. Typically when the conference play starts Southland teams beat up on each other. I'd like to think Northwestern has the talent, but we need to start playing like it quickly. I'd say all 7 teams have a chance to win it at this point - someone needs to step up.

What is up with the Demons? Stoker start blowing smoke too early? Definitely Jekyl and Hyde personality so far.

swaghook
September 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Right now in the Great West I wouldn't want to call it it is a three way race for 1st place between Cal Poly, NDSU and UC- Davis. I personally think these three are all equal this year and SDSU is strong and coming up fast this year as well.

Cat79
September 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Kats89 & Dallas Demon,

Here is my guess for the SLC standings:

Northwestern State
Texas State
McNeese State
Sam Houston State
SFA
Nichols State
SLU

skinny_uncle
September 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Surprised you haven't raised the hackles of the Youngstown fans yet for leaving them out of the mix. It should be some race. A three way tie at the top would not surprise me.

JaxSinfonian
September 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I may have gotten carried away with my research for the question posed in this thread, but here goes:

OVC: Tenn-Martin is the lone team in the conference with a winning record and E. Ill is .500. that being said, EKU's 3 losses (App. St., NC St., WKU) were against tough OOC opponents and they weren't embarrassed against the I-AA's. EKU has a great shot at being an 8-3 OVC champ.

Cliff, you didn't get too carried away here. Substitute "Jax State" for every use of "EKU" in your post, and it would read just as well. After this weekend, we'll know how it should read.

Martin is out to an interesting start. Now let's see how they finish. I don't think it'll be on top. If there's a dark horse in the OVC, it's gotta be EIU (sorry, Racers fans).

blackfordpu
September 26th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Kats89 & Dallas Demon,

Here is my guess for the SLC standings:

Northwestern State
Texas State
McNeese State
Sam Houston State
SFA
Nichols State
SLU

Personally I think it is anyones game right now. No team has really stepped up and shown anything (Tx St had a good game against A&M but can they do it again?). Of course most teams have not had the chance to show anything at a strong I-AA level. It has either been I-A games or NAIA/DII games. The SLC is up for grabbs, I think it is way too early to tell, IMHO.

nmatsen
September 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I think Western Kentucky is the team to beat in the Gateway...they have both Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa at home this season.

I would not be too happy about having UNI at home. Since joining the Gateway WKU has only one loss to UNI, that loss was in Bowling Green Kentucky, the last game on your dirt field painted green before you put in the turf. Man that trophy was heavy! But not nearly as heavy as this purple rock on my finger!

Dallas Demon
September 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM
What is up with the Demons? Stoker start blowing smoke too early? Definitely Jekyl and Hyde personality so far.

Too many mistakes by the Demons. The turnovers are killing us - 14 so far in three games. The opposing offenses have scored most of their points off of the turnovers. Our defense (besides the ULL game) has been playing great. Keep in mind that even though we have 2 losses, we've played 2 I-A teams and a top 10 I-AA team as our only games. Hopefully we'll come around once we get our rhythm.

PMB4Life
September 27th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by PMB4Life

Montana and MSU are in the Big Sky.

Whoops. Brain fart. :( I knew that, I swear to God I did.

Killtoppers90
September 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I would not be too happy about having UNI at home. Since joining the Gateway WKU has only one loss to UNI, that loss was in Bowling Green Kentucky, the last game on your dirt field painted green before you put in the turf. Man that trophy was heavy! But not nearly as heavy as this purple rock on my finger!

Nice slam NOOB!
:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

crunifan
September 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Trust me, it is ALWAYS better to play UNI away. ALWAYS. That damn dome...

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
September 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Big South: Who cares
SoCon: App State or maybe Furman, depending on the week
A10: UNH and Delaware
SWAC: Who cares
OVC: Who cares
Sky: Idaho State, MSU has lost too many good players to injury
Patriot: Who cares - let's just say Lehigh
Southland: Tx St
Gateway: Hilltoppers because Southern Ill is the only team that has been as consistently overrated and underachieving as my beloved Grizzlies in recent years
Ivy: Who cares
MEAC: Who cares
Great West: UCP/SLO by a mustang mane hair over Davis; Bison have no playoffs to play for

OL FU
September 27th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Big South: Who cares
SoCon: App State or maybe Furman, depending on the week
A10: UNH and Delaware
SWAC: Who cares
OVC: Who cares
Sky: Idaho State, MSU has lost too many good players to injury
Patriot: Who cares - let's just say Lehigh
Southland: Tx St
Gateway: Hilltoppers because Southern Ill is the only team that has been as consistently overrated and underachieving as my beloved Grizzlies in recent years
Ivy: Who cares
MEAC: Who cares
Great West: UCP/SLO by a mustang mane hair over Davis; Bison have no playoffs to play for

:D The book title "The Way to Win Friends and Influence Enemies" is on your Xmas list I hope

I like it though.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
September 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Yeah... I reckon some of that shoulda been on the smack board. Sorry to everyone who feels sleighted.

I actually came back to delete portions of it, and here you'd preserved it for posterity. You bastard you.

OL FU
September 27th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah... I reckon some of that shoulda been on the smack board. Sorry to everyone who feels sleighted.

I actually came back to delete portions of it, and here you'd preserved it for posterity. You bastard you.

You are stuck with it. :) and I would be a son of a bitch not a bastard :)

lucchesicourt
September 28th, 2005, 12:23 PM
UCD also has no chance to be in the playoffs (just like NDSU). UCD will not be elgible for 2 more years.