PDA

View Full Version : Big South Rankings (After three/four games)

Thumper250
September 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM
1. Coastal (3-1) - Will win the league with a 4-0 mark
2. VMI (1-3) - Should beat LU this weekend, GWU at home and CSU to finish 3-1
3. G-W (2-1) - By Default
4. LU (1-3) - Not surprised by losses, but shocked by the margin.
5. CSU (2-2) - Going to the wire with a bad DII isn't a good sign.

Thoughts, or does anybody care at this point?

chantman
September 26th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I can't argue with you on this one Thumper. I'm disappointed CSU is not any better. They have really struggled to win two against a non-scholarship team at home and a weak D-II on the road. Maybe the tragic death of their star WR just before the season has had effects.

With Liberty, its not the losses, its been by how much has shocked me.

Thumper250
September 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah, agreed.

As for the Runnin' Bulldogs ... The wheels could fall off quickly and badly. The lack of energy in the second half Saturday was alarming and it bit their bums in the end. You're looking at a team that could easily be 2-5 after game #7 and that's trouble. Big trouble.

adrianb
September 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM
The lack of energy at G-W was alarming. The team did not seem to be in it nor did the crowd. I believe everyone forgot that UTM was not a NAIA team and just called it in. I have never seen a self distruction like that. I have to hand it to UT-Martin's coach. The fake punt and onside kick kept them in the game when nothing was going UTM's way.
I want to be a glass half full kind of guy and hope this was a wake up call.

chantman
September 26th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Thank goodness for Coastal's defense against DSU. Our offense put the ball on the ground five times and lost four of them. If we turn the ball over like that next week in Orangeburg, it will get ugly for the boys in Teal.

The Gadfly
September 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
1. Coastal (3-1) - Will win the league with a 4-0 mark
2. VMI (1-3) - Should beat LU this weekend, GWU at home and CSU to finish 3-1
3. G-W (2-1) - By Default
4. LU (1-3) - Not surprised by losses, but shocked by the margin.
5. CSU (2-2) - Going to the wire with a bad DII isn't a good sign.

Thoughts, or does anybody care at this point?

Don't care. xcoffeex

rokamortis
September 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I care :o

I thought that the Big South was going to improve this year. :(

Sly Fox
September 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM
All I want is a score. Any score. We can't be shutout four straight weeks, can we?

Tribe4SF
September 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM
All I want is a score. Any score. We can't be shutout four straight weeks, can we?

I think you guys will score this week, but based on having seen both teams play the Tribe, I don't like your chances of winning.

Sly Fox
September 26th, 2005, 11:49 PM
We're a really bad football team right now. I'm not sure I'd like our chances against any I-AA team not named Chuck South or Savannah St. You should see the bile being spewed toward our coach on our board. It's ugly.

DotCat
September 27th, 2005, 12:03 AM

Ouch...that smarts.

Thumper250
September 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM
What's the LU Board?

IaaScribe
September 27th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I'd rank Chuck South ahead of Liberty right now.

I truly think LU will finish 1-10. I don't see a winnable game on the schedule. Even Chuck South and Norfolk State play OK at home, and LU is 4-27 on the road under Karcher (with three of the wins coming at Chuck South, go figure).

If that's the case, it's gonna be a long seven weeks for this writer. :(

adrianb
September 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM
What's the LU Board?
Liberty Board (http://libertysports.proboards29.com/index.cgi)

Sly Fox
September 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Come on, Scribe. At least we beat a DII school. :rolleyes:

We'll eventually get it together enough to beat one of the other terrible teams we have left on the schedule. I certainly hope we're at least a notch above Chuck South.

catamount man
September 27th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I'm rooting for VMI to win the Big South in 2005. I miss those guys being in the SoCon. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

IaaScribe
September 27th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Sly, for your team's sake, I hope I'm wrong. (And maybe my sanity, too.) ;)

ngineer
September 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I think you guys will score this week, but based on having seen both teams play the Tribe, I don't like your chances of winning.

Sounds like an OOC game at Madonna U. :D

OL FU
September 27th, 2005, 06:47 PM

I predict Gardner Webb will score this week :D

Thumper250
September 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I hope you're right OL. I'd take 45-24 as a moral victory at this point. Heck, I'd take 35-14 as a moral victory.

DotCat
September 28th, 2005, 01:13 AM
I'm rooting for VMI to win the Big South in 2005. I miss those guys being in the SoCon. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GO KEYDETS!!!!!!!!!!

Keydet90
September 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I am back on the board after a hiatus due to Hurricane and Hurricane response duties here in Louisianna. I like this thread and, despite our 1-3, I agree that VMI has a chance to play for a conference title. We made some good plays againts Lehigh from what I read of the game (I have had no TV or newspaper since last Thursday) and we showed well against a #13 ranked opponent. I also was told by those in attendance that our 40-17 loss to Duke was not really as lopsided as the score would indicate - we GAVE them the ball three times inside our 20 and they scored TDs each time. So I am confident about the remainder of our schedule.

I'd also like to point out that it seems there have been two different Coastal Carolina teams this year. I am wonder which will show up each week. I understand they endured a pretty lopsided loss to App State last week?

Finally, I am really surprised at the problems with GW and LU programs. I thought LU had a great back returning and would be tough this year under Karcher. I also thought GW was going to be a perennial power in the league having won the first league title. Anyway this is exciting for us Keydet fans - actually being able to talk about a conference race this late in the season is new for us. Look forward to an exciting weekend as the BSC schedule kicks off!

Anyone out there with thoughts on the LU - VMI game? We never play well on turf and usually play poorly on the road. I also remember 2003 when we absolutely folded and blew that 31 point fourth quarter lead. So I am not anticipating victory for granted Saturday.

DP '90

Sly Fox
September 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Keydet -- I was in New Orleans yesterday. What an unbelievable mess. Thanks for doing your duty in the wake of that disaster. I assume you must be operating out of Fort Polk. My grandparents were married in DeRidder as my grandfather was shipping out for Europe in WWII. That little town will always have a soft spot in my heart as a result.

As for the LU program, we had one RB back who had never played from last year. We lost our top three backs from an offense that couldn't throw despite a good running game. Now we have neither a run or passing game. We're frustrated and our board is living up to the name of the city our school calls home ... LYNCHburg. Everybody wants Karcher fired. You're more than welcome to come see for yourself by dropping by:

http://libertysports.proboards29.com

Keydet90
September 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Yes I am operating out of Fort Polk and live in DeRidder. The city got lots and lots of superficial damage to buildings, homes, trees, utilities etc but for the most part things should be back to normal by Monday. We are standing down most of our duties in the community as FEMA and other agencies are taking over.

I thought you had some back named Barnes that ran all over us a couple of years ago and that he would be back this year? I am also wondering why this game was not a night game? As much as I hated the 2003 comeback you guys made, I have to say that under the lights and the crowd of 12K provided a nice atmosphere. I really hope we beat you guys this year as it will add to the rivalry. If you all win three times in a row...well that's not really a rivalry is it. Right now our series is 2-2 correct with the last two to you guys? I think a VMI win on your turf will help stoke the rivalry. Nonetheless best of luck in all your other games. I happen to think Jerry Falwell is a great American and I watched his program regularly so I do root for you all just not when playing VMI :D

IaaScribe
September 30th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Keydet: Game was moved to noon for TV purposes. If you can find a sports bar down your way with the college football package, it's on Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic (it's on DirecTV).

My pick on this one: VMI 19, Liberty 13.

IaaScribe
September 30th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Keydet: Game was moved to noon for TV purposes. If you can find a sports bar down your way with the college football package, it's on Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic (it's on DirecTV).

My pick on this one: VMI 19, Liberty 13.

Sly Fox
October 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM
We probably SHOULD have Dre Barnes back and we wouldn't be in our current predicament in all likelihood. Dre was injured last year in what was his true senior season. But much like this year, the heat was on the LU coaching staff. Karcher chose to pull what would've been a medical redshirt off Barnes in order to try and save his job. He was in the final year of a 5-year contract. It paid some shortterm dividends but at a HUGE price to this year's squad.

You probably have Cox Cable there in De Ridder. I'm not sure whether or not they have FCS (Fox College Sports) or if they carry the 3-region format of GCS. If they do, you might be able to watch the game on TV there at your place.

As for your feelings toward our school, we appreciate it. We don't have many fans away from our alumni base.

Keydet90
October 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Find a sports bar! That's a nice one Mr. I-AA Scribe. FYI - Half of Louisianna Parrishes (counties) are dry including mine! The nearest place with what you'd term sports bars (as opposed to holes in the wall where you sit on tree stumps at picnic tables) are in Lake Charles under four feet of water. Nonetheless I appreciate the tips and will scroll through my cox cable to see if by chance it is on down here.

And I, for one, I am glad Karcher decided to play Barnes last year - with him running you guys had a chance in most every game. Without him, I like our chances today as long as we don't succumb to our typical road and turf woes.

v/r DP '90