PDA

View Full Version : Marist To Join Pioneer League In 2009

UNHWildCats
February 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
havent seen this posted and I did a search and nothing came back so here it is...

Marist will play as an independent in 2008, but will join the Pioneer League in 2009, when it will face such teams as San Diego, Dayton, Jacksonville and Valparaiso.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/high_school/new_jersey/20080217_Holy_Cross_QB_Reilly_decides_to_go_to_Mar ist.html

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Am I mistaken or is this the 10th school to join the Pioneer? Wonder if they'll play everybody once, meaning they only have two OOC games to fill...

Glad to see Marist still "alive"...

Nothing on the Pioneer web site...?

http://www.pioneer-football.org/

UNHWildCats
February 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Maybe they'll try to add Iona as well and look for a 12th school and go to 2 divisions?

TheValleyRaider
February 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Interesting that something like that appears in the middle of such an article. Well, if it is the case, and Marist is headed PFL in '09, good for them, glad they found a home and will continue as a strong program. It would also lead me to think Iona would be taken with them, as the article is really only talking about Marist. Good move for both sides, if true.

hebmskebm
February 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
If this is true, this must have been their only reasonable move, with the commitment they made to football with their renovated stadium. I imagine this will mean the Pioneer will go back to having a Championship game with 2 divisions again. If Iona doesn't join too, Marist will be in the same position as San Diego, isolated from the rest of the league geographically. Though with division play they could continue to play NEC and Patriot teams for half their schedule.

Syntax Error
February 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM
hmmmmm... By Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

boo
February 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Keep in mind, this is an article on a kid who committed to Marist. Not an announcement by the school or PFL. Who knows, maybe the coach told the kid that the PFL was an option in 2009 and he took it as gospel.

BTW, it looks like Marist has stepped up and is giving several good players some decent aid this year, at least according to some articles posted at the Marist VOY board.

~~Boo

DetroitFlyer
February 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Interesting.... We have been hearing rumblings about Marist for a few weeks in the PFL community.... No rumblings at all about Iona.

My question would be why would Marist join in 2009, but not in 2008? Maybe they wanted to make sure the PL option was officially closed?

The University of Detroit Mercy and Lipscomb are also still making noises about joining the PFL.

Kind of interesting that there just may be more demand for FCS non-scholarship football than capacity.... The PFL can almost pick and choose which schools it wants to admit.... ( No strong rumors on any departures at this point ).

Another interesting trend is that much more information on aid packages is leaking into the press realitive to the PFL.... In the past, it was rare to see any mention of the aid a specific player received.... Maybe this is a not so subtle recruiting tool.... Let the world know that even though the PFL does not offer athletic scholarships, there is significant aid available.

UNHWildCats
February 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Interesting.... We have been hearing rumblings about Marist for a few weeks in the PFL community.... No rumblings at all about Iona.

My question would be why would Marist join in 2009, but not in 2008? Maybe they wanted to make sure the PL option was officially closed?

The University of Detroit Mercy and Lipscomb are also still making noises about joining the PFL.

Kind of interesting that there just may be more demand for FCS non-scholarship football than capacity.... The PFL can almost pick and choose which schools it wants to admit.... ( No strong rumors on any departures at this point ).

Another interesting trend is that much more information on aid packages is leaking into the press realitive to the PFL.... In the past, it was rare to see any mention of the aid a specific player received.... Maybe this is a not so subtle recruiting tool.... Let the world know that even though the PFL does not offer athletic scholarships, there is significant aid available.
Maybe because a couple teams already have finished schedules the Pioneer League thought it would be best to wait until 2009?

DFW HOYA
February 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM

My guess is that the PFL schools could not commit to enough open games in 2008 to fill a conference schedule for Marist. Georgetown joined the PL in Jan. 2000 and still didn't have a full PL schedule in 2001, because Colgate had existing commitments.

So who's left in the Patriot expansion discussion? Anyone? Anyone?

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Marist could not have possibly moved in for 2008. Football schedules are done months, if not years in advance. Conference movement does not happen overnight.

carney2
February 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM

How about diddly squat. We will get the usual arguments from the dreamers that Villanova, Richmond, William & Mary, etc. are "perfect fits." Then there will be the fantasy island bunch making arguments that Johns Hopkins will move up from D-III. None of these is going to happen in my lifetime so let's start some reality checks.

The Patriot League is holding a fairly empty bag. Compatible all sports (and that includes football) candidates are few and far between. Two things need to happen:

1. There have to be some earthquakes, shake outs, and realignments in other conferences (CAA?).

and/or

2. The Patriot league (and their alumni) need to recognize that academic matches aren't readily available and need to lower their supposed standards.

Let the usual BS begin.

DFW HOYA
February 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
How likely is this scenario--Fordham will look to convert its grants to scholarships whether or not the PL does, instigating concerns that it will jump...

TheValleyRaider
February 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
How about diddly squat. We will get the usual arguments from the dreamers that Villanova, Richmond, William & Mary, etc. are "perfect fits." Then there will be the fantasy island bunch making arguments that Johns Hopkins will move up from D-III. None of these is going to happen in my lifetime so let's start some reality checks.

The Patriot League is holding a fairly empty bag. Compatible all sports (and that includes football) candidates are few and far between. Two things need to happen:

1. There have to be some earthquakes, shake outs, and realignments in other conferences (CAA?).

and/or

2. The Patriot league (and their alumni) need to recognize that academic matches aren't readily available and need to lower their supposed standards.

Let the usual BS begin.

Forget academic matches. Who is still out there to join the conference period? Everyone else has been taken elsewhere, and frankly, I don't have a huge problem with it. If the League stays at 7, then it stays at 7. A little elitism academically is fine with me, although if LFN's possible Ivy breakup happens, I think we'll change our tune a bit ;)

How likely is this scenario--Fordham will look to convert its grants to scholarships whether or not the PL does, instigating concerns that it will jump...

That was much more likely when the A-10 still had football. Jumping up and joining the conference you're already a full-time member of makes sense. Where would they go now? I suppose they'd consider the possible new America East or whatever conference, but at this point I have a hard time seeing that. Comments from their administration suggests they like being associated with the other PL schools, especially fellow Jesuits HC and G'town, and they're comfortable with the grant-in-aid model. Don't really see that happening, but either Fordham (the poster) or Joltin' Joe would have more insight.

Seawolf97
February 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Good for Marist ! Now lets see what Iona has in mind .

SO ILLmatic
February 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Iona is playing as an independent this year. Past this season, it doesnt sound like they have made a decision yet.

2008 Schedule & Story in this link

http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64397&SPID=7109&DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=1388420

Go...gate
February 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
My guess is that the PFL schools could not commit to enough open games in 2008 to fill a conference schedule for Marist. Georgetown joined the PL in Jan. 2000 and still didn't have a full PL schedule in 2001, because Colgate had existing commitments.

Except maybe VMI, no one, IMO. Looks like we are a seven-team football league and 8 overall. I can live with it. American is upgrading their profile and, over time, the PL as a conference will make it work and get better.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Every indicator I have seen about Fordham is that they are happy with the "status quo" - not spending too much money on FB as an associate in the PL, being in the A-10 in all other sports, and getting creamed in basketball every year. (Well, that last one they're not happy with.)

Would they join the AE if they have a football conference? Probably not - are they really itching to get into competition with state institutions like URI and UNH? If they are going anywhere, it's into the PL in all sports - and my informal "poll" of Fordham fans would be really POed not only because the PL is considered a step down in basketball (debatable IMO) but because last time they were a full-sports member they were really drilled competitively by it. And I can't blame them for having that impression.

As for new expansion candidates for the PL, as Carney curmudgeonly brought up the same old arguments get trotted out. If (emphasis on the "IF" - there is no official word on this) Marist is indeed headed for the PFL, it's yet another potential PL school that has slid through the fingers of the PL due to sclerosis. Without Marist, the cupboard is, incredibly, more bare than before.

The angle that changes the discussion further, to me, appears to be the new realities of the Ivy League. The argument against athletic scholarships never seemed thinner than it does now. Harvard, Yale and Princeton are giving away free, or largely paid-for, education to 90% of the population who qualifies. It is putting evident pressure with the non-H-Y-P schools to offer more free education - some are calling it an "arms race" that threatens to destabilize athletics.

Go...gate
February 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Every indicator I have seen about Fordham is that they are happy with the "status quo" - not spending too much money on FB as an associate in the PL, being in the A-10 in all other sports, and getting creamed in basketball every year. (Well, that last one they're not happy with.)

Would they join the AE if they have a football conference? Probably not - are they really itching to get into competition with state institutions like URI and UNH? If they are going anywhere, it's into the PL in all sports - and my informal "poll" of Fordham fans would be really POed not only because the PL is considered a step down in basketball (debatable IMO) but because last time they were a full-sports member they were really drilled competitively by it. And I can't blame them for having that impression.

As for new expansion candidates for the PL, as Carney curmudgeonly brought up the same old arguments get trotted out. If (emphasis on the "IF" - there is no official word on this) Marist is indeed headed for the PFL, it's yet another potential PL school that has slid through the fingers of the PL due to sclerosis. Without Marist, the cupboard is, incredibly, more bare than before.

The angle that changes the discussion further, to me, appears to be the new realities of the Ivy League. The argument against athletic scholarships never seemed thinner than it does now. Harvard, Yale and Princeton are giving away free, or largely paid-for, education to 90% of the population who qualifies. It is putting evident pressure with the non-H-Y-P schools to offer more free education - some are calling it an "arms race" that threatens to destabilize athletics.

Well put. xlolx

lc83
February 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I was told that even with the addition of Marist there will not be a divisional format but instead teams will play 8 conference games. You won't play two team like the big ten does every year.

JoltinJoe
February 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Every indicator I have seen about Fordham is that they are happy with the "status quo" - not spending too much money on FB as an associate in the PL, being in the A-10 in all other sports, and getting creamed in basketball every year. (Well, that last one they're not happy with.

The "Fordham getting creamed in the A-10" is plainly outdated-- at least three year's old, if not more. BTW, Fordham finished tied for fourth in the conference last year, and was barely ousted by RI in the conference semifinals.

Nice win for us at Temple yesterday, and just last week we beat UMass at Amherst in front of a national ESPN audience.

gophoenix
February 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Maybe they'll try to add Iona as well and look for a 12th school and go to 2 divisions?

My guess, Iona follows and the 12th member will be High Point when they formally announce their program. High Point has been on a major real estate grab in the city and a big expansion project underway (not improving the school any as whole, just the bigger is better mentality and they have a businessman/fund raiser as president).

They're in the process of buying the land across Montilue Avenue all the way to Boundary Avenue and to Centennial St (for those that know the city) and the unofficial plans are to build the football stadium there.

Again, all unofficial, but this is what people on the inside are saying.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
My guess, Iona follows and the 12th member will be High Point when they formally announce their program. High Point has been on a major real estate grab in the city and a big expansion project underway (not improving the school any as whole, just the bigger is better mentality and they have a businessman/fund raiser as president).

They're in the process of buying the land across Montilue Avenue all the way to Boundary Avenue and to Centennial St (for those that know the city) and the unofficial plans are to build the football stadium there.

Again, all unofficial, but this is what people on the inside are saying.

Why on earth would High Point go non-scholly since they're in the Big South and their league leadership would be willing to give up their third-least-used finger to get to the minimum for an autobid? High Point may indeed be starting football, and if they do they will be welcomed with open arms.... in the Big South.

My money would be on an ASun team like Kennesaw State, North Florida, or maybe even ETSU.

gophoenix
February 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Why on earth would High Point go non-scholly since they're in the Big South and their league leadership would be willing to give up their third-least-used finger to get to multiple football teams? High Point may indeed be starting football, and if they do they will be welcomed with open arms.... in the Big South.

My money would be on an ASun team like Kennesaw State, North Florida, or maybe even ETSU.

Because High Point is not going to offer scholarships because of Title IX from what I'm told. They are more interested in building that funding the athletics by that much more per year.

The Big South would be interested, but without schollies, High Point would be like UT-Martin was for a long time in the OVC.

As for the Big South, I personally look for UNC-Pembroke to be their next full member school. I am nearly positive they are one of the D-II to D-I waiver schools.

Fresno St. Alum
February 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I was thinking that Campbell would add schollys soon and join the Big South at least as an affiliate or maybe all sports along with a southern D-II move up to get to 12.

Does anyone else think this about Campbell?

gophoenix
February 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I was thinking that Campbell would add schollys soon and join the Big South at least as an affiliate or maybe all sports along with a southern D-II move up to get to 12.

I think Winthrop, Radford, UNCA, Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern may still have a bad taste in their mouth after the way Campbell left in the 1994.

Go...gate
February 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
The "Fordham getting creamed in the A-10" is plainly outdated-- at least three year's old, if not more. BTW, Fordham finished tied for fourth in the conference last year, and was barely ousted by RI in the conference semifinals.

Nice win for us at Temple yesterday, and just last week we beat UMass at Amherst in front of a national ESPN audience.

Would love to see the Rams back in the NCAA Tournament.

carney2
February 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM

As others have pointed out, not likely at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the big news in Patriot League football is that in April or May when Kelly gets around to announcing the Hoya Class of 2012 footballers, the biggest hole in the Patriot League dike will have had a large wad of chewing gum stuffed in it. Georgetown, in my opinion, has always been the biggest threat to jump ship, being noncompetitive on the field and off with those horrendous facilities. Indications are that this group of recruits will take a giant step toward narrowing the on the field competitive gap. It will be up to the administration to move the rest of the program out of D-III.

danefan
February 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Brown now too:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/25/education/25brown.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin

Brown University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/b/brown_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org) is eliminating tuition for students whose parents earn less than $60,000, after decisions by fellow Ivy League (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/i/ivy_league/index.html?inline=nyt-org) universities to bolster financial aid as their endowments grow.

The university, in Providence, R.I., said on Saturday that it also planned to substitute grants for student loans (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/s/student_loans/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) in the financial aid packages of students whose families earned less than $100,000 a year. The new program cuts reliance on loans for all students regardless of family income, the university said in a statement posted on its Web site.

carney2
February 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM

It doesn't happen often, but I'm with Burton on this one. I will pick up his baton and take it one large curmudgeonly leap forward.

Fordham bailed on the Patriot League primarily for basketball. They saw themselves as the next Georgetown, the next Villanova; certainly no less than a Seton Hall or a Providence. It may have looked like a good decision at the time, but obviously no one in the Bronx bothered to pick up the phone and make a long distance call to Worcester to gauge the temperature of some fellow travelers. They hadn't been to "the Dance" since 1971. Guess what, they still haven't been to "the Dance" since 1971. It's not like they bumped themselves up to the ACC. Way to make things happen, Rams!

And just how many times do you think the Rams would have been to "the Dance" if they'd stayed home instead of hob-nobbing with the large state universities? My guess is 3, minimum, but probably more. Way to shoot yourselves in the hoof, Rams!

DUPFLFan
February 25th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Nope - why would they go through the effort of joining the PFL then add schollys and bolt?xconfusedx

I would think that if that is the scenario, they would add schollys up front...

Go...gate
February 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
It doesn't happen often, but I'm with Burton on this one. I will pick up his baton and take it one large curmudgeonly leap forward.

Fordham bailed on the Patriot League primarily for basketball. They saw themselves as the next Georgetown, the next Villanova; certainly no less than a Seton Hall or a Providence. It may have looked like a good decision at the time, but obviously no one in the Bronx bothered to pick up the phone and make a long distance call to Worcester to gauge the temperature of some fellow travelers. They hadn't been to "the Dance" since 1971. Guess what, they still haven't been to "the Dance" since 1971. It's not like they bumped themselves up to the ACC. Way to make things happen, Rams!

And just how many times do you think the Rams would have been to "the Dance" if they'd stayed home instead of hob-nobbing with the large state universities? My guess is 3, minimum, but probably more. Way to shoot yourselves in the hoof, Rams!

Didn't Fordham go once in the 1990's as the Patriot League Champion? Jolter?

BearsCountry
February 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Nope, I think you are going to end up seeing the A-Sun run their own non-scholly fb league.

carney2
February 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Didn't Fordham go once in the 1990's as the Patriot League Champion? Jolter?

I take it all back. Fordham went to March Madness in 1992 as the Patriot League Champion and they were a 14 seed. The Rams also won the Patriot League championship in 1990-1991 but no Patriot League team was in the NCAA Tournament that year.

Wow, am I embarrassed. Fordham's switch from the Patriot League to the (wherever) has obviously been an unbridled success. Go Rams.

Fresno St. Alum
February 25th, 2008, 04:22 PM
well that's too bad for Campbell I guess. Big South will have to wait for UNCP, W.Georgia, or Valdosta St. to move up.

gophoenix
February 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
well that's too bad for Campbell I guess. Big South will have to wait for UNCP, W.Georgia, or Valdosta St. to move up.

The Big South is technically set for now. They have their minimum of 6 members so now they just need to wait 2 years before they can make their case. Plus, there is still that old Delaware St rumor to the SoCon.

And with Winthrop doing their study. That would basically leave UNCA and Radford as the only ones not eyeing football at all.

Fresno St. Alum
February 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM
does Withrop want scholly football?

gophoenix
February 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
does Withrop want scholly football?

I can't say. They have a study going on, and Winthrop was the best funded program top to bottom in the Big South when Elon was there, so I have to think they'd want scholarship ball.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/SPORTS/802260329/-1/SPORTS

College football: Marist to join Pioneer League

Marist College will play as an independent in 2008 and join the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League in 2009, according to published reports.

League membership in 2007 included Butler, Davidson, champion Dayton, Drake, Jacksonville, Morehead State, San Diego and Valparaiso. Campbell joins in 2008.

Marist plans an announcement on Thursday.

Chad4Life
February 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Right now, the students and alumni are so excited to have football at Campbell it doesn't matter to them to be playing scholarship or non-scholarship football.

Now, 8 to 10 years from now, if the only other Division I non scholarship teams in the area are still Davidson and Jacksonville, I could see a movement rising to push towards scholarship football. For right now, there is just excitement in having football.

Seawolf97
February 26th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Right now, the students and alumni are so excited to have football at Campbell it doesn't matter to them to be playing scholarship or non-scholarship football.

Now, 8 to 10 years from now, if the only other Division I non scholarship teams in the area are still Davidson and Jacksonville, I could see a movement rising to push towards scholarship football. For right now, there is just excitement in having football.

And rightly so! A good home game on a Saturday afternoon is always fun.

dgreco
February 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/SPORTS/802260329/-1/SPORTS

glad they made a move and didn't hang around in limbo

401ks
February 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
It's official.

Here is the Marist press release:

http://goredfoxes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022808aaa.html

Here is the Pioneer League press release:

http://www.pioneer-football.org/article.asp?articleid=90554

Welcome, Marist! xthumbsupx

Seahawks Fan
February 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Good move by Marist. What about Iona?

Go...gate
February 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Now there is a truly national conference, from the Hudson River to the Pacific Ocean and several stops in between!

DetroitFlyer
February 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Now there is a truly national conference, from the Hudson River to the Pacific Ocean and several stops in between!

And believe me, this helps in recruiting more than you can imagine. Being able to literally travel the country is very appealing for many recruits. A PL or Ivy League recruit for example, will play most games in a tight circle for the most part. Maybe one road trip a year. A PFL recruit may play on both coasts, in farm country, and even in the garden spot of the USA, Dayton, Ohio! Pretty cool league IMHO!

Now, we just need a playoff bid....

danefan
February 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
And believe me, this helps in recruiting more than you can imagine. Being able to literally travel the country is very appealing for many recruits. A PL or Ivy League recruit for example, will play most games in a tight circle for the most part. Maybe one road trip a year. A PFL recruit may play on both coasts, in farm country, and even in the garden spot of the USA, Dayton, Ohio! Pretty cool league IMHO!

Now, we just need a new Commissioner....

Fixed it for you.xthumbsupx

DUPFLFan
February 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Now, we just need a new commissioner and a playoff bid....

This is the true fix...

udchuck
February 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Fixed it for you.xthumbsupx

xlolx Cool move.;)

JoltinJoe
February 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Good move by Marist. What about Iona?

Iona has committed to an independent schedule in 2008. The silence about its intentions for 2009 is growing worrisome.

Does Iona have any other offers for a conference affiliation in 2009 other than the offer from the Pioneer League?

Seahawks Fan
March 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM
Iona has committed to an independent schedule in 2008. The silence about its intentions for 2009 is growing worrisome.

Does Iona have any other offers for a conference affiliation in 2009 other than the offer from the Pioneer League?

None from the NEC.

hebmskebm
March 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
On Marist's page they have the press conference video. Somone asked Marist's AD if Iona would join them in the PFL and he said he had no idea. Also Marist will be playing two PFL teams this year (USD, Davidson)

GaelsFootball
March 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM

Very worrisome. From my understanding there are certain qualifications a program must meet to join the Pioneer League such as full time coaches and such things. If anyone knows the specifics that will be helpful. But as of now we don't meet those needs. We are in the process of trying to build our program to that level and I believe Pioneer will be a realistic option in 2010.
As for the NEC the tutition here is 85% of our endowment and I just don't see us giving away 65 scholorships.

DFW HOYA
March 1st, 2008, 10:11 PM
As for the NEC the tutition here is 85% of our endowment and I just don't see us giving away 65 scholorships.

The NEC doesn't allow more than 30 scholarships, and some teams aren't close to 30.

Put another way, if St. Francis or Sacred Heart can play in the NEC, so can Iona.

Model Citizen
March 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM

Whoa, partner. Where are you getting the idea they have an offer from the Pioneer?

Syntax Error
March 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Whoa, partner. Where are you getting the idea they have an offer from the Pioneer?I think the PFL commish pretty much said they would explore any true non-scholly team. So if they gave an invite to Marist I would imagine that Iona isn't too far away.

daywoo7
March 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Iona does have a standing offer to join the pioneer league just like Marist got after the season. The school just wants to wait until after the season to decide its plans for the future.

dgreco
March 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Iona does have a standing offer to join the pioneer league just like Marist got after the season. The school just wants to wait until after the season to decide its plans for the future.

I am sure Iona is looking to see three options after this season NEC, PFL and dropping the program. I am also pretty sure they are not going to jump into it early and see how the season plays out.

JoltinJoe
March 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Whoa, partner. Where are you getting the idea they have an offer from the Pioneer?

I read that in a local newspaper.

Model Citizen
March 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I read that in a local newspaper.

Would you please provide a link. I'm sure we would all like to read more.

JoltinJoe
March 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Would you please provide a link. I'm sure we would all like to read more.

PM your apology, Mr. Would-Be Know-It-All. Thank you.

Marist football joins different league (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/SPORTS/802290330/1002/NEWS)

Viverito mentioned that the PFL gave an open invitation to the remaining MAAC Football League teams to join the PFL at a non-scholarship football summitt last June. Marist eventually accepted and Iona is still considering it. Iona joining would give Marist a local league rival, as well as potentially expand the league to 12 teams, at which time, they could start division play.

"The demise of the MAAC forced those schools to take a long, hard look at their football programs," Viverito said. "Iona's still sitting on the fence. They're going to continue playing as an independent. They haven't completely shut the door. Our hope is that they continue to sponsor non-scholarship football in the future, with or without us. We would welcome them with open arms."

Viverito would be the PFL Commissioner, correct?

danefan
March 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
PM your apology, Mr. Would-Be Know-It-All. Thank you.

Marist football joins different league (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/SPORTS/802290330/1002/NEWS)

Viverito mentioned that the PFL gave an open invitation to the remaining MAAC Football League teams to join the PFL at a non-scholarship football summitt last June. Marist eventually accepted and Iona is still considering it. Iona joining would give Marist a local league rival, as well as potentially expand the league to 12 teams, at which time, they could start division play.

"The demise of the MAAC forced those schools to take a long, hard look at their football programs," Viverito said. "Iona's still sitting on the fence. They're going to continue playing as an independent. They haven't completely shut the door. Our hope is that they continue to sponsor non-scholarship football in the future, with or without us. We would welcome them with open arms."

Viverito would be the PFL Commissioner, correct?

xlolx xlolx xazzx xlolxxlolx

Model Citizen
March 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
No apology, but in the future, could you save us the drama and post links? Thanks.

downbythebeach
March 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Somebody is a lil touchy

JoltinJoe
March 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
No apology, but in the future, could you save us the drama and post links? Thanks.

Next time, do your own research.

DFW HOYA
March 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
What do you do when you have a two team league and they both leave? You say nothing...

"The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference had not released a statement regarding the future of its football league as of Thursday, but MAAC Assistant Commissioner of Media Relations Jill Skotarczak said Thursday the league would no longer be active. "Essentially, we no longer have a league," Skotarczak said. "But we have no comment."

That about sums up the 15 year futility of the MAAC.

Seawolf97
March 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Hopefully they will pick a conference and not fold their program . Continuing on as independent would be difficult at best.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the link - saved in the Log just in case it disappears:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=marist-to-join-pfl-in-09&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more700

The article gave some fascinating peeks at Iona, as well as the money quote from Viverito in the article that Joltin' Joe pointed out:

Iona spokesman Brian Beyrer said nothing was imminent about Iona’s conference future.

“Obviously, there’s been conversations, but nothing’s come up from it at this point.,” Beyrer said. “We’re continuing to look at options for the program going forward.”

And Marist's choices:

Mentioning the options Marist had moving forward, Murray said that opportunities were not necessarily available in the Patriot League or even the Ivy League and that the Northeast Conference’s scholarship model didn’t fit with the college’s agenda.

“As the MAAC [Football League] slowly dissolves, unfortunately, we realized that our football program was quite strong and we knew how important it was to maintain football and how important it was to our institution,” Murray said.

Read: "The Patriot League never really considered us."

Mentioning the options Marist had moving forward, Murray said that opportunities were not necessarily available in the Patriot League or even the Ivy League and that the Northeast Conference’s scholarship model didn’t fit with the college’s agenda.

maacfb
March 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
exactly, i think its pretty obvious PL had no interest. still seems to me that would've been the schools # 1 choice should they have had the option. if you notice they mention that the non-conference going forward will be patriot/ivy which shows they still want to try and associate themselves with those schools.

carney2
March 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hey, LFN,

any chance you could do another in-depth article on the Patriot League's expansion options? I know that you were one of the few favoring Marist last year and saw it as a realistic possibility. With Marist gone, there appear to be few, if any, options. There have been hints in the past year or two that the League "has been approached" and "is considering." Also, Georgetown has only one foot in the door, while Fordham has one foot out the door, so one always needs to question how solid the foundation is. (Personally, however, I am very encouraged by the rumors out of HoyaLand about the incoming class of freshmen. If true, these would be the first signs of (football) life in DC in quite a while.) Also, and I don't want to write the article for you, there are the obvious problems in Ivyland where they have "solved" their no athletic scholarships conundrum by offering a free education to all - well, at least many. My limited reading here tells me that Brown, Harvard, Princeton and Yale have bought into the new economics to one degree or another. Some of the remaining schools may have trouble keeping up. A crack in the Ivy covered wall? etc., etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hey, LFN,

any chance you could do another in-depth article on the Patriot League's expansion options? I know that you were one of the few favoring Marist last year and saw it as a realistic possibility. With Marist gone, there appear to be few, if any, options. There have been hints in the past year or two that the League "has been approached" and "is considering." Also, Georgetown has only one foot in the door, while Fordham has one foot out the door, so one always needs to question how solid the foundation is. (Personally, however, I am very encouraged by the rumors out of HoyaLand about the incoming class of freshmen. If true, these would be the first signs of (football) life in DC in quite a while.) Also, and I don't want to write the article for you, there are the obvious problems in Ivyland where they have "solved" their no athletic scholarships conundrum by offering a free education to all - well, at least many. My limited reading here tells me that Brown, Harvard, Princeton and Yale have bought into the new economics to one degree or another. Some of the remaining schools may have trouble keeping up. A crack in the Ivy covered wall? etc., etc.

carney, your crystal ball is correct. I'm efforting something on these very issues for CSN, and I'm preparing a little something for the blog at some point today about Marist.

The Ivy League has seen more interesting news about it in the past few months than ever, cumulating with the Ammaker "allegations" in the NY Times this weekend. Although it doesn't seem to relate to football, it does relate to the "Ivy Way" so in a roundabout way it does. And its actions also affect non-scholarship sports too like the PFL.

It's going to take time to get it all sorted out into cohesive pieces, but rest assured I'm working on it.

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
... From my understanding there are certain qualifications a program must meet to join the Pioneer League such as full time coaches and such things. If anyone knows the specifics that will be helpful...There are no official qualifications, none, but members of the PFL generally spend more on their programs than MAAC members did to stay competitive. That includes more coaches etc. The big thing is travel costs and everyone knows that Northeast schools are wary of that since there are so many teams close by. It can be a positive for Iona to realize that the PFL will be a different dynamic and take the time to prepare. Hope that dropping football never occurs.

USDFAN_55
March 3rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
There are no official qualifications, none, but members of the PFL generally spend more on their programs than MAAC members did to stay competitive. That includes more coaches etc. The big thing is travel costs and everyone knows that Northeast schools are wary of that since there are so many teams close by. It can be a positive for Iona to realize that the PFL will be a different dynamic and take the time to prepare. Hope that dropping football never occurs.

Travel is a big concern for PFL teams. Is there any other confrence that covers as much land as the PFL? The PFL has teams in California, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, North Carolina, and now New York in /09.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Travel is a big concern for PFL teams. Is there any other confrence that covers as much land as the PFL? The PFL has teams in California, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, North Carolina, and now New York in /09.

No other conference travels that far, not even the Great West.

I wonder how long the setup of the PFL will stand like this, however.

Let's say Iona and Detroit Mercy decide to become the 11th and 12th members. Isn't, then, the best course of action to hold a championship game?

PFL East
Marist
Iona
Davidson
Jacksonville
Dayton
Campbell

PFL West
Morehead State
San Diego
Detroit Mercy
Drake
Butler
Valparaiso

Five inter-divisional games, say two or three "rotating" intra-divisional, and three or four "other" games like Drake/UNI, Dayton/Fordham, or USD/Cal Poly (:D). And all of a sudden, travel costs are vastly reduced. And with the NEC edging more towards the FCS playoffs, there's no issues with the Gridiron Classic.

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
... Five inter-divisional games, say two or three "rotating" intra-divisional, and three or four "other" games like Drake/UNI, Dayton/Fordham, or USD/Cal Poly (:D). And all of a sudden, travel costs are vastly reduced...Sounds familiar. xlolx That was discussed at the summit last year.

USDFAN_55
March 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

Let's say Iona and Detroit Mercy decide to become the 11th and 12th members. Isn't, then, the best course of action to hold a championship game?

PFL East
Marist
Iona
Davidson
Jacksonville
Dayton
Campbell

PFL West
Morehead State
San Diego
Detroit Mercy
Drake
Butler
Valparaiso

Five inter-divisional games, say two of three "rotating" intra-divisional, and three "other" games. And all of a sudden, travel costs are vastly reduced. And with the NEC edging more towards the FCS playoffs, there's no issues with the Gridiron Classic.

That would make the most sense to me. However if it doesn't go that route, I would say the best route for San Diego would be to join the Great West and use the money saved from travel costs on scholarships.

USDFAN_55
March 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM

PFL East
Marist
Iona
Davidson
Jacksonville
Dayton
Campbell

PFL West
Morehead State
San Diego
Detroit Mercy
Drake
Butler
Valparaiso

Five inter-divisional games, say two or three "rotating" intra-divisional, and three or four "other" games like Drake/UNI, Dayton/Fordham, or USD/Cal Poly (:D). And all of a sudden, travel costs are vastly reduced. And with the NEC edging more towards the FCS playoffs, there's no issues with the Gridiron Classic.

The one problem I can see with is format is that the original mebers of the PFL would be split-up. Not sure if that would be a problem, but it could be a sticking point.

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sounds familiar. xlolx That was discussed at the summit last year.Oh yeah, Dayton was in the West and St. Peters was in the East, no Detroit Mercy.

DUPFLFan
March 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Swapping Dayton and Morehead State would be best...

PFL East
Marist
Iona
Davidson
Jacksonville
Morehead State
Campbell

PFL West
Dayton
San Diego
Detroit Mercy
Drake
Butler
Valparaiso

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, Dayton was in the West and St. Peters was in the East, no Detroit Mercy.Oops, I meant Morehead St (Dayton's already there xdohx ) was in the West and St. Peters was in the East, no Detroit Mercy.

Go...gate
March 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I predict more OOC games between the PFL and Patriot/Ivy schools.

DUPFLFan
March 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I predict more OOC games between the PFL and Patriot/Ivy schools.

Would be nice.. Trying to get Ivy's to come to Iowa has been an issue in the past...

Go...gate
March 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Would be nice.. Trying to get Ivy's to come to Iowa has been an issue in the past...

If the Ivies are going to play at San Diego because they have alumni on the west coast, why not play in Iowa for their midwestern alumni? It is not unusual. Knox and Grinnell Colleges from the D-III Midwest Conference (Knox, Grinnell, Coe, Cornell (IA), Beloit and others) have come east on occasion to play D-III schools from the UAA or NESCAC. Why not have a similar gig with the PFL, Ivy and Patriot?

DUPFLFan
March 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
If the Ivies are going to play at San Diego because they have alumni on the west coast, why not play in Iowa for their midwestern alumni?

Because their alumni and (even more important) their recruiting base in the midwest is in Chicago. There is zero interest in coming to Iowa.

There was talk of a PFL vs IVY game in Chicago at one time but I think that was all it was - talk...

Model Citizen
March 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
DU, do you really want Ivy League, Patriot League and others getting free recruiting exposure in the MW? It's not like Drake is going to recruit New England...

Be careful what you ask for. Just my .02.