PDA

View Full Version : App's Biggest OOC Rival...

jmu_duke07
February 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Who are yall's biggest out of conference rival (minus big time FBS teams ranked 5ith in the nation...)

KiddBrewer
February 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
JMU, is that even a question?

jmu_duke07
February 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
JMU, is that even a question?

xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
February 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

ha i figured that was all you were aiming for with this thread, a little love.xpeacex but you never know, other app fans might have different opinions than me, stay tuned.

Jerbearasu
February 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
We don't play any OOC opponents on a consistent basis. I'd still consider Marshall from their old SoCon days and many still consider ECU one from way back when...

AshevilleApp2
February 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
JMU now. Used to be Wake Forest, but they discontinued the series.

jmu_duke07
February 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
I would love to see a rivalry game between APP and JMU... Yet, in the end it could hurt playoff tendencies for either teams.

lizrdgizrd
February 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
I like the idea of a JMU/ASU rivalry. The schools are similar and fairly close. I think if it were an every-other-year kind of schedule it'd be less of a problem for playoff contentions.

APPride
February 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Who are yall's biggest out of conference rival (minus big time FBS teams ranked 5ith in the nation...)

going fishin' r we! xthumbsupx I must say the JMU game this year creates as much angst 4 me as LSU, 4 obvious reasons...I think tix will be hard to get but I definately want to come up to the 'burg...

grizband
February 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM
The Griz and Idaho became OOC rivals when Idaho left the Big Sky in the early 90s. The games continued until 2003, when the school decided against playing FCS teams. I would say right now, Montana's best OOC rivalry is Cal Poly, the last few have provided some great games! xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
JMU? Only if we ever win a freakin' game...xnonono2x xoopsx

89Hen
February 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
In I-AA I'd have to say Lehigh even though we don't play much anymore. It's been a very strange series though with each team taking turns going on long winning streaks. We need to get that game back on regularly.

edit: DOH, I skipped the "App's" part and thought you were asking for everyone's biggest OOC rival.

KiddBrewer
February 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM
JMU? Only if we ever win a freakin' game...xnonono2x xoopsx

ill use a frequently used app-western term......."doesnt a rivalry mean there are two teams with a chance of winning?".......

just kidding, we should have lost the last one, no doubt.xcoffeex

fjblair
February 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
I think most fans would say JMU, da Dukes.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
That would be a better thread 89Hen. No need to fish for something "obvious" or close to that. I mean, how often do two perennial title contenders face each other OOC in the regular season / post season in consecutive years? ASU vs. JMU has become somewhat regular, and given the geographic distance, it would be another likely playoff match up in 2008, although I'd prefer to be on the other side of the bracket if both teams make the field, especially since we will have played each other in the 2008 regular season.

Aside from ASU, we seem to only regularly play VMI and Liberty sort of, and I don't feel any rivalry there. Hampton could be a nice rival, but we rarely play them. Enough rivals for us in conference anyway!

KiddBrewer
February 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
That would be a better thread 89Hen. No need to fish for something "obvious" or close to that. I mean, how often do two perennial title contenders face each other OOC in the regular season / post season in consecutive years? ASU vs. JMU has become somewhat regular, and given the geographic distance, it would be another likely playoff match up in 2008, although I'd prefer to be on the other side of the bracket if both teams make the field, especially since we will have played each other in the 2008 regular season.

Aside from ASU, we seem to only regularly play VMI and Liberty sort of, and I don't feel any rivalry there. Hampton could be a nice rival, but we rarely play them. Enough rivals for us in conference anyway!

we have enough rivals in conference as well........but i look forward to JMU every time we face off. i think, if its not already, JMU-ASU has the making of being a top OOC rivalry in our division for years to come, based on playoff possibilities.....and if our AD's recognize it, regular season contests as well.

HighRyder08
February 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
i wish we could start a rivalry with with NC State.... if we would of brought a full playbook and had armanti two seasons ago, i think we could of pulled one out...id love to play them again

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
i wish we could start a rivalry with with NC State.... if we would of brought a full playbook and had armanti two seasons ago, i think we could of pulled one out...id love to play them again

lets not bring that back up, its kind of a sore spot for me.

neersnbeers
February 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM

Same here. I used to have some half respect for NCSU. But after having drinks dumped on us and my girlfriend being spat on by a group of frat f*&ks, I'd love to march back into Carter Finley and lay a great a$$ woopin of those bastards!xsmiley_wix

AppSt.09
February 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'd definitely love to see the Wake Forest series pick back up. Since my family went to App, it was always included in my b-day celebration as a kid.

KiddBrewer
February 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
app is never going to have an ooc rivarly with any BCS, or any ACC school team for that matter......why?......because the way things are now, if we happen to win one, thats the last time we'll play for a good twenty-thirty, or more years.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
I'd like to see one with ECU bi-annually in BofA Stadium in Charlotte. Could be great for both schools.

Eventually I'd like to see one w/ UNCC but I don't want to call it a rivalry more like a regularly scheduled beating for trying to start a football program.

poly51
February 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Cal Poly's would have to be Montana. Montana leads the series 11-1 but the last 3 games are 2-1 with the Cal Poly win in the playoffs. The last 3 have all been great games. They will meet every year for the next 5 years.
This years game is at Mustang Stadium in San Luis Obispo.

Bluehenfan08
February 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Any good rivalry should come from in two in state schools i think.

ERASU2113
February 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'd say it's JMU......I wish ACC schools would want to play us.

However, no one does. Wake, State, UNC, Duke...the list could go on.

A bi-annual ASU/UNC game at BofA would be amazing. Both have great alumni bases in Charlotte.

HighRyder08
February 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Same here. I used to have some half respect for NCSU. But after having drinks dumped on us and my girlfriend being spat on by a group of frat f*&ks, I'd love to march back into Carter Finley and lay a great a$$ woopin of those bastards!xsmiley_wix

state fans are so ignorant too....they show up to the game if the team is winning...if not then they are nowhere to be found....call me ignorant if you want xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Cal Poly's would have to be Montana. Montana leads the series 11-1 but the last 3 games are 2-1 with the Cal Poly win in the playoffs. The last 3 have all been great games. They will meet every year for the next 5 years.

Yeah I agree with this as there is no bigger OOC rival for Montana right now than Cal Poly. They have been fantastic games of late. I did enjoy the games when we had some home and homes with McNeese as well as SHSU but we are just too far away from most good 1AA schools to develop any good OOC rivalries.

jmu_duke07
February 22nd, 2008, 02:39 AM
I like the idea of a JMU/ASU rivalry. The schools are similar and fairly close. I think if it were an every-other-year kind of schedule it'd be less of a problem for playoff contentions.

Like I said before, I'd like that as well... ASU was one of the 4 schools I applied too... never heard of it until my dad said I should apply there (he was recruited full scholarship to play ASU football). When I visited the school back in '01, it was very pretty. I remember seeing the big inflatable mountaineer on the football field. Once I applied, i received an acceptance letter 4 days later, to early for me! JMU was the better school academically at the time. Clemson responded back sooner than JMU did! However, I've heard ASU has become much harder academically, and is pretty difficult to get into! Which it should be, reminds me of JMU in the mountains rather than the valley. Many ASU grads here in charleston are very respectful and have the most respect of JMU than any other grads I've met(especially grads from CAA schools). I have no regrets attending JMU, and, if I attended ASU, I'm sure it would be the same. Congrats on your threepeat ASU, you definetly deserve it! However, I'm looking forward to the ASU matchup more so than the Duke matchup... And, it's more honorable to beat yall more so than Duke!!!!!!

Yosef92
February 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
We had EKU for awhile. 2 good teams every year, fairly close geographically, and the loser had to man-up to make the playoffs afterwards.

ECU n Wake back a few years. In state rivals, with bragging rights.

Now it would be either JMU(but they have to win one) or LSU(we have to win one). Interesting choice???

grizband
February 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm glad the Griz finally decided to play this game in SLO! xthumbsupx

grizband
February 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
I don't' necessarily see that as a requirement. The only two FCS schools in Montana are UM and MSU - hard to have an OOC rivalry in that situation. I think a rivalry can simply be two teams who play each other consistantly, their fans have developed a mutual respect/hatred for one another, and for the most part the games are at least competitive.

PaladinFan
February 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
We had a nice little going back and forth with Jax State for a bit.

There aren't that many OOC rivalry games like you see in FBS. Teams like UGA/GT, USC/Clemson, UF/FSU etc

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
For Georgia Southern, it's Georgia, although the feelings are not mutual. I think many GSU fans would be willing to lose to both App. State and Furman five years in a row to beat them once(and that is saying something!)

WUTNDITWAA
February 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM

Does that mean the Hens are going to start up a series with Del State? xeyebrowx

Eyes of Old Main
February 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM

From the sound of that, I thought you were describing a trip to Statesboro or maybe Williams-Brice.

Eyes of Old Main
February 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
JMU would seem logical for App.

Unless maybe you consider Mars Hill or Lenoir-Rhyne. xlolx

For Wofford, I guess it will become Presbyterian again. xnonono2x Though, I'd much rather see it be SC State. xnodx

seantaylor
February 23rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
For Georgia Southern, it's Georgia, although the feelings are not mutual. I think many GSU fans would be willing to lose to both App. State and Furman five years in a row to beat them once(and that is saying something!)

Yep. Or just send a bomb up to that gay bar, coffee house infested town that is known as Athens.

AppMan
February 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Wish we were conference rivals.

mistersykes
February 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has even mentioned CCU. Yeah, the games weren't exactly that competitive, but the environment was always very heated. Along with JMU, the beach chickens have the most potential of becoming OOC rivals in the future. As it stands, there haven't been enough meetings consistently over the years (although we have played the dukes several times in the past if I'm not mistaken?) to actually consider either team a true rival of App.

SideLine Shooter
February 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM
That sound like Chapel Hill!!!!

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
This was from the JMU game notes BEFORE the playoff game, so I simply updated it, putting a * where I updated the record.
"THE SERIES
Appalachian State has an 12*-3 lead in a series that was played regularly from 1980-92, before JMU played in what is now the Colonial Athletic Association (previously Yankee Conference and Atlantic 10). The teams met every yearfrom 1980-92 except for 1984. Appalachian State has a *7-2 lead in games in Boone, including a 21-10 win there in 2006 in a meeting of the previous two Division I-AA national champions. The teams have met twice* in the postseason with Appalachian State scoring a 31-24 home win in 1995, Alex Wood's first year as JMU's head coach. JMU's wins in Boone have been 24-20 in 1983 and 31-8 in 1991. The 1983 Dukes were coming off an 8-3 season and opened the year at Appalachian State before finishing 3-8. JMU's 1991 team, its first under Coach Rip Scherer, was 8-3 during the regular season and reached the second round of NCAA play. JMU had its first post-season win that year.
SERIES GAMES
Result Date/Site
ASU 34-6 ............. 9/6/80 at JMU
ASU 45-0 ............. 9/12/81 at ASU
JMU 39-35 ........... 9/11/82 at JMU
JMU 24-20 ........... 9/10/83 at ASU
ASU 36-0 ............. 10/19/85 at ASU
ASU 21-20 ........... 10/18/86 at JMU
ASU 17-10 ........... 9/12/87 at ASU
ASU 17-14 ........... 9/10/88 at JMU
ASU 23-14 ........... 9/23/89 at ASU
ASU 24-0 ............. 11/17/90 at JMU
JMU 31-8 ............. 9/21/91 at ASU
ASU 27-21 ........... 10/10/92 at JMU
ASU 31-24 ........... 11/25 95 at ASU
ASU 21-10 ........... 9/9/06 at ASU
*ASU 28-7............ 11/24/07 at ASU
Overall: ASU leads *12-3
At JMU: ASU leads 5-1
At ASU: ASU leads *7-2
JMU's Matthews In Series: 0-2*
ASU's Moore In Series: *6-1
Post-Season: ASU leads *2-0"

I remember in 92' JMU finished 4-7, with outside the Va Tech game, most if not all the losses were by less than a TD. One of those 4 wins was @ YSU 52-49 when YSU went on to make the NC game, losing to Marshall. So was still a decent JMU team. In the ASU game @ JMU JMU was up 21 to 7 I think and ASU scored 3 TDs in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, including one on the last play of the game, to pull out the 27-21 win. So you could say 2 of the last 4 ASU wins have been sort of miracle (for ASU)/nightmare for JMU finishes.

appstate38
February 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
This was from the JMU game notes BEFORE the playoff game, so I simply updated it, putting a * where I updated the record.
"THE SERIES
Appalachian State has an 12*-3 lead in a series that was played regularly from 1980-92, before JMU played in what is now the Colonial Athletic Association (previously Yankee Conference and Atlantic 10). The teams met every yearfrom 1980-92 except for 1984. Appalachian State has a 7*-2 lead in games in Boone, including a 21-10 win there in 2006 in a meeting of the previous two Division I-AA national champions. The teams have met twice* in the postseason with Appalachian State scoring a 31-24 home win in 1995, Alex Wood's first year as JMU's head coach. JMU's wins in Boone have been 24-20 in 1983 and 31-8 in 1991. The 1983 Dukes were coming off an 8-3 season and opened the year at Appalachian State before finishing 3-8. JMU's 1991 team, its first under Coach Rip Scherer, was 8-3 during the regular season and reached the second round of NCAA play. JMU had its first post-season win that year.
SERIES GAMES
Result Date/Site
ASU 34-6 ............. 9/6/80 at JMU
ASU 45-0 ............. 9/12/81 at ASU
JMU 39-35 ........... 9/11/82 at JMU
JMU 24-20 ........... 9/10/83 at ASU
ASU 36-0 ............. 10/19/85 at ASU
ASU 21-20 ........... 10/18/86 at JMU
ASU 17-10 ........... 9/12/87 at ASU
ASU 17-14 ........... 9/10/88 at JMU
ASU 23-14 ........... 9/23/89 at ASU
ASU 24-0 ............. 11/17/90 at JMU
JMU 31-8 ............. 9/21/91 at ASU
ASU 27-21 ........... 10/10/92 at JMU
ASU 31-24 ........... 11/25 95 at ASU
ASU 21-10 ........... 9/9/06 at ASU
*ASU 28-7............ 11/24/07 at ASU
Overall: ASU leads *12-3
At JMU: ASU leads 5-1
At ASU: ASU leads *7-2
JMU's Matthews In Series: 0-2*
ASU's Moore In Series: 6*-1
Post-Season: ASU leads 2*-0"

I remember in 92' JMU finished 4-7, with outside the Va Tech game, most if not all the losses were by less than a TD. One of those 4 wins was @ YSU 52-49 when YSU went on to make the NC game, losing to Marshall. So was still a decent JMU team. In the ASU game @ JMU JMU was up 21 to 7 I think and ASU scored 3 TDs in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, including one on the last play of the game, to pull out the 27-21 win. So you could say 2 of the last 4 ASU wins have been sort of miracle (for ASU)/nightmare for JMU finishes.

I was a senior during this one. Got a concussion at the start of the 2nd half and missed almost the entire half. I remember the great ending though.

T-Dog
February 25th, 2008, 03:28 AM

You and me both. My dad's an NCSU basketball fan (he got free tickets during the David Thompson era from his buddy) but not a football fan because he can only go through so much misery a year.

I had nice seats in the ASU section next to the band. I got pics that show NCSU students don't know how to arrive BEFORE kickoff. Not to mention we stayed up there with them in the noise department. I remember telling a drunk State student while they suffer through another bad season and fire their coach after it's over, we won't lose a game and win another championship (swear to God I said that).

State went 3-8 that year and fired Amato after it was all over.

I remember some State student cursed at me and I snapped back and cursed at him (which was one of the handfull of times I've ever snapped at someone, which I shouldn't but at that point it was hard to contain myself) and a State fan on the other side of me yelled at me to watch my language around his kids and the first guy laughed at me and continued to yell at me after that.

Sometime before then I saw a truck with App people in it in the middle of the NCSU student lot and it was a bunch of girls who has the truck and I felt bad for them dealing with the crap they went through (I parked with the main core of App people) with guys shouting.

NCSU is like the USoCal of North Carolina, just without the winning. Not the most likable bunch of people.

So you could say 2 of the last 4 ASU wins have been sort of miracle (for ASU)/nightmare for JMU finishes.

JMU is like the Furman of OOC for App. They have to lose in the most painful ways possible and provide App fans miracle moments to celebrate. xthumbsupx

gvilleapp
February 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I think the JMU series is currently the best OOC regular match-up we have. Coastal also could develop into a heated rivalry if we played more often. I think if we could somehow work out a semi-regular pattern of playing East Carolina that would be our most heated rivalry like it was back in the 70's and earlier. Lots of graduates from NC high schools at both App and ECU that know bunches of kids at the other school. Could be a lot of fun to poke fun at the loser during the off season. It could really develop into something special if ECU was willing to discuss starting a series.

Jerbearasu
February 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I think if we could somehow work out a semi-regular pattern of playing East Carolina that would be our most heated rivalry like it was back in the 70's and earlier. Lots of graduates from NC high schools at both App and ECU that know bunches of kids at the other school. Could be a lot of fun to poke fun at the loser during the off season. It could really develop into something special if ECU was willing to discuss starting a series.
Iagree with you on this one but the only way it would ever happen is if we are FBS and the only way ECU would do it at the begiining would be if it was a 2 for 1 deal which would be crap.