PDA

View Full Version : What does JMU look like for 08'?

AppStFan76
February 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
JMU was probably one of the tougher games App played last year. And after hearing all the smack from JMU fans on the LSU v/s ASU threads just currious who all JMU lost and gained for the 08' season. ie: how bad are we going to beat JMU!!xsmiley_wix

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
They will be preseason top 10 and a solid squad. I think JMU and Richmond will be favored to come out of the CAA. I am looking forward to a tough game, we don't need possibly 2 losses that early in the season.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
ALERT! App fan not talking about LSU. ALERT!

lizrdgizrd
February 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Just wait your turn, you furple. We'll get around to discussing how bad we're going to pound you this year once we get done with the tough teams. xrulesx xwhistlex :D

I think you're on the list just above Jacksonville, Presby and Samford. xwhistlex

mlbowl
February 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM

Really......are ASU and LSU going to play?xlolx

89Hen
February 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
16 starters returning, plus Holloman (stud RB) back from injury. They will be good. Should be a shootout in the South with JMU, UR and UD.

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
JMU was probably one of the tougher games App played last year. And after hearing all the smack from JMU fans on the LSU v/s ASU threads just currious who all JMU lost and gained for the 08' season. ie: how bad are we going to beat JMU!!xsmiley_wix

First of all, let's clarify. I only saw ONE JMU fan talking smack on those threads.

But, as a general answer to your question.

On offense we return 10 of 11 and add our pre-season all-conference RB who got a medical redshirt for last year. We also add Kirby Long, who, according to the always unbiased Mickey Matthews, is the best athlete on the team and will be used like a "slash" type player all over the field.

Defense is our question mark as we lost several of our key pieces, namely Tony Lezotte at safety and Baranowsky on the D-Line. But we still have a pretty solid core...I think 7 returning starters.

It's going to be a good game. Bridgeforth will definitely be buzzing after the game last year. Although the drunk, arrogant student section should make ASU feel right at home.:D :p

AppStFan76
February 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Just wait your turn, you furple. We'll get around to discussing how bad we're going to pound you this year once we get done with the tough teams. xrulesx xwhistlex :D

I think you're on the list just above Jacksonville, Presby and Samford. xwhistlex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

JMU2004
February 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
We'll be very good, but I'll wait until spring and summer practices to decide if we'll be great. Injuries, academics, etc can take a roll on any team before they even hit the field.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 12:56 PM
I am looking to JMU to be a very good gauge as to how good our front 7 really is. We are all looking to them to be some of the best in FCS and I can't wait to see how we do against JMU's offense. I am looking to see if we can turn good team one dimentional and then can we get after the QB with our front 4. It will be interesting. JMU will obviously be a great test and I for one cannot wait for the game. Plus you know that JMU has this one circled on their schedule for a little payback.

I am also looking forward to see how they do against Duke this year. I was truly disapointed with their performance against UNC last year. That being said if they had played later in the season I think JMU could have given them a much better game and should have won. It should have been a dark year for the ACC last year with UNC and NC State both losing to FCS schools.

DRDukes
February 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
I am also looking forward to see how they do against Duke this year. I was truly disapointed with their performance against UNC last year. That being said if they had played later in the season I think JMU could have given them a much better game and should have won. It should have been a dark year for the ACC last year with UNC and NC State both losing to FCS schools.

I think we had a few challenges in the UNC game

1. It was the first game for R. Landers after Rascatti left
2. It was the first game under new HC Butch Davis, so there it was tough to gameplan what they were going to do.

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM

2. It was the first game under new HC Butch Davis, so there it was tough to gameplan what they were going to do.

Yea, and No. 2 rears its ugly face again this year!!

GannonFan
February 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM
I am looking to JMU to be a very good gauge as to how good our front 7 really is. We are all looking to them to be some of the best in FCS and I can't wait to see how we do against JMU's offense. I am looking to see if we can turn good team one dimentional and then can we get after the QB with our front 4. It will be interesting. JMU will obviously be a great test and I for one cannot wait for the game. Plus you know that JMU has this one circled on their schedule for a little payback.

I don't think you'll have any problem making JMU one dimensional - they do that themselves. Even with a good passer like Rascati JMU rarely threw more than 25% of the time. And Landers is nowhere near the passer Rascati was. They'll run the ball, run it again, and keep on running. I also think they're a home run hitting offense as well. You can stop them a lot of the time, but then they hit a big run and chew up yardage that way. But they'll try to run against Appy St a whole lot.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think you'll have any problem making JMU one dimensional - they do that themselves. Even with a good passer like Rascati JMU rarely threw more than 25% of the time. And Landers is nowhere near the passer Rascati was. They'll run the ball, run it again, and keep on running. I also think they're a home run hitting offense as well. You can stop them a lot of the time, but then they hit a big run and chew up yardage that way. But they'll try to run against Appy St a whole lot.

That is what I am looking for. I can't wait to see how we handle this and how we match up against the great running game that JMU is going to have, as I am sure they are as well. JMU returns 10 offensive starters and we return our entire front 7. Our run defense was not great last year but they got better each game and we add a transfer from Vanderbuilt who has been in the system for over a year now and 2 juco transfers. Like I said I can't wait for this game it should be a great one between two likely playoff teams.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Key losses for JMU were, as mentioned, on defense:

S/DB Tony LeZotte
LB Justin Barnes
DL Baranowksi

I am not worried about our D-line, even without Baranowski, I have no doubt someone will step up and shine again. MM commented at the end of the year that Baranowski was sort of raw and worked into something special be the end of his senior year.

Also, the loss of Tony LeZotte will be tough from a strategy point of view. He was the QB of the defense. However, MM also commented that many felt Justin Barnes was the best defensive player on our team, despite the accolades for LeZotte. JMU has always kind of been a LB U, so hopefully someone will step up. We said the same thing last year after the loss of Akeem Jordan (now ST Captain and LB on the Philadelphia Eagles with Chris Gocong also at LB from Cal Poly). LB position will be the key to JMU having an average D or a great D.

JMU's secondary should still remain strong at the corners, and the addition of "three star" (I don't put a lot of stock in the stars) true freshman Taveion Cuffee should be interesting.

Taveion Cuffee: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IDFE2Dasv3I&feature=related

Offensively, we should tear it up. The additions of Holloman back in the lineup and Kerby Long will be something special to witness next year. Lots of high scoring games coming for the Dukes in 2008.

Kerby Long: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FTV0mVJM5T0

Special Teams should also be strong.

How we match up against App St.? Expect much the same game plan as when the two played in the playoffs. Justin Barnes was injured early in the game and ASU just ran whatever they wanted all over JMU. With ? marks on defense, no reason not to expect A. Edwards and company to score plenty in Harrisonburg. I love our crowd and stadium, but if the Big House and LSU don't get them rattled, nothing will.

Can the DE position play better for App St.? This will be key to stopping the run from JMU, although the Dukes have the personnel and ability to run up the gut just as well.

Will the loss of a couple guys in the secondary hurt ASU? Doubtful. JMU airs it out occasionally, but I think good and bad DBs will cheat up more and more to the line as the running game wears on a DL and LBs. As that happens, holes open up in the secondary where big plays can be made. I don't care how good the secondary is or isn't, a team will either be able to take advantage of this or not. It comes down to Landers' accuracy and the hands of the WRs IMO.

Trenches? Toss up. Both schools' O-lines are better than the D-lines.

In the end, this game is about turnovers, just like the playoffs in 2007, as well as our game in 2006. Beyond that, it is nuance. I say "nuance" because each school has its version of the spread offense. JMU is a little more on power running, ASU is a bit more balanced and probably has slightly more team speed. The result - quick scores or 3 and outs for ASU compared to longer, sometimes stalling drives for JMU. JMU likely will win the TOP battle. So in the end, if all things are equal, whoever has the ball last wins.

Should be another epic battle, hopefully homefield advantage will give the Dukes an edge and help turn this into a rivalry and not just another common tough game for the Mountaineers. xthumbsupx

bench
February 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Losing four guys in the App secondary isn't a good thing, but if the front seven can show marked improvement from last year, creating pressure and making plays at the line, they will take a lot of pressure off the corners and safeties. A good defensive front is more helpful to a young secondary than a good secondary is to a young defensive front.

The experienced secondary we had last year had to make the stops against JMU's running game. If the guys in the box can't get it done this year, it could be a rough time in Harrisonburg.

Eight Legger
February 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
This will be a good game; however, App should win by 10 or so. Unless JMU just matches up well with them for some inexplicable reason. Personally, I'm of the mindset that UR and UD were better than JMU last year (since we both beat JMU) and neither of us were in our games against App in the 4th quarter, whereas JMU should have won.

My hypothesis is that JMU caught App at the right time last year, and if they had played later, they would have suffered the same kind of fate UR and UD did.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Side note: I'm glad this is not the first game of the season. We have other tough matches in September and I think JMU will already be battle tested a bit for ASU. JMU tends to come out of the gates slow - see Bloomsburg in 2006 and UNC last year. If it were on Sept 1 or something, I'd feel less confident about JMU's chances of winning. As it is, I still think this one is a toss up.

jmu_duke07
February 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
I like how no one in the CAA likes JMU. Yall should here the crap they put on us at caazone.com. I think it's a jelousy issue. Anyway, this game is gonna be great! xthumbsupx I'm sure we'll see ASU again in the postseason.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
This will be a good game; however, App should win by 10 or so. Unless JMU just matches up well with them for some inexplicable reason. Personally, I'm of the mindset that UR and UD were better than JMU last year (since we both beat JMU) and neither of us were not in our games against App in the 4th quarter, whereas JMU should have won.

My hypothesis is that JMU caught App at the right time last year, and if they had played later, they would have suffered the same kind of fate UR and UD did.

Your Hypothesis is just that - a hypothesis. xrolleyesx

Had Justin Barnes not gotten injured, our D would have stopped App St. more often as well in Boone, but you deal with the game at hand.

JMU has more speed, but less power than UR. UR is like a Big 10 team. Built for power, akin to Michigan and Ohio St. if comparing to the BCS. You saw what ASU did to Michigan. Delaware is also more power than speed. Cuff was strong, Flacco has the strong arm and some escapability, but he was never an option-type QB like Landers or Edwards. Both of these teams win in the CAA due to overpowering their opponents. So did JMU in 2004. JMU in 2008 is more built for speed, like many teams in the SoCon.

I just think JMU resembles more of the SoCon type of team than Delaware or Richmond. Richmond looked painfully slow against ASU and Richmond's offense is far less dynamic. However, Richmond and Delaware are both more disciplined, which is why the Dukes lost those two games - turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Delaware had a rough game vs. ASU, but it came to me as no surprise considering how well we moved the ball when JMU played at Delaware. Remember that last year was the youngest JMU football team since 2001.

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
This will be a good game; however, App should win by 10 or so. Unless JMU just matches up well with them for some inexplicable reason. Personally, I'm of the mindset that UR and UD were better than JMU last year (since we both beat JMU) and neither of us were not in our games against App in the 4th quarter, whereas JMU should have won.

Does that mean that Towson's better than Richmond and Villanova is better than UD? Of course not.

I will give you that UR and UD performed better than JMU last year during those games and might've been better overall, but I think all three were pretty equal. In fact, I think we can agree that neither team played particularly well in the UR-JMU game.

As far as JMU matching up well with ASU, you might've noticed that ASU had some trouble with the spread option and running QBs all year (see Ga. Southern and Wofford). Why this is, I do not know since you would think that they see the best there is every day in practice (even ASU fans were baffled). So, at least last year, we did match up well with ASU. Will they have the same issues this year? Who knows.

Now, given that, I'd like an explanation of how JMU caught ASU at "the right time" last year.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Losing four guys in the App secondary isn't a good thing, but if the front seven can show marked improvement from last year, creating pressure and making plays at the line, they will take a lot of pressure off the corners and safeties. A good defensive front is more helpful to a young secondary than a good secondary is to a young defensive front.

The experienced secondary we had last year had to make the stops against JMU's running game. If the guys in the box can't get it done this year, it could be a rough time in Harrisonburg.

I truly expect our front 7 this year to be among the best in FCS. I stated reasons earlier but the way they played against UD and then making the additions that we are I think we are going to be more than solid. Plus we will have two Buchanan award canditates there as well. (DJ Smith and Tharington) I also fully expect Washington to make his presence felt on a much more regular basis. Thats not even taking into account any of our incomming freshmen. We are going to be strong and deep and I hope that we will once again have the ability to shut down the run and keep constant pressure with our front 4. The pressure being more important because of our losses in the secondary.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Does that mean that Towson's better than Richmond and Villanova is better than UD? Of course not.

I will give you that UR and UD performed better than JMU last year during those games and might've been better overall, but I think all three were pretty equal. In fact, I think we can agree that neither team played particularly well in the UR-JMU game.

As far as JMU matching up well with ASU, you might've noticed that ASU had some trouble with the spread option and running QBs all year (see Ga. Southern and Wofford). Why this is, I do not know since you would think that they see the best there is every day in practice (even ASU fans were baffled). So, at least last year, we did match up well with ASU. Will they have the same issues this year? Who knows.

Now, given that, I'd like an explanation of how JMU caught ASU at "the right time" last year.

I don't mean any disrepect to JMU, you played a great game last year. I would say that we could credit our NC to you all for the wake up call that you delivered. The "right time" I think was knocking our guys off their high horse that they thought no one was going to beat them at home in the playoffs. If we had been able to walk through that game we never would have made it to the NC game. Forgive the cliche but I really believe that game woke up our players and directly put us on the path for the NC. Just my opinion.

phillyAPP
February 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Very good analysis

Rep points for it !!

I forget which long analysis it was but great thread. Applause to ALL.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yosef - you are probably right that ASU will have a better D, but there's still a big mountain to be the best. I only say that because I think ASU was around 90th in D last year. Offensively - no doubt ASU is the best.

Two disclaimers: 1) Injuries hurt every team. Getting players back healthy only improves a squad. 2) When up by 40+ points, defenses will play less tight in games.

Until they prove it, they are strong on paper, but not as much on the field. I seem to remember an issue with tackling last year. Even in the NFL, I see many great athletes trying to arm tackle or hit a guy instead of wrapping someone up and making great form tackles. I think ASU has a little of this disease. But so do most schools anymore...

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't mean any disrepect to JMU, you played a great game last year. I would say that we could credit our NC to you all for the wake up call that you delivered. The "right time" I think was knocking our guys off their high horse that they thought no one was going to beat them at home in the playoffs. If we had been able to walk through that game we never would have made it to the NC game. Forgive the cliche but I really believe that game woke up our players and directly put us on the path for the NC. Just my opinion.

No, I agree that it was a "wake-up" call for your team and let them know that they could be beat, but was there a reason they should've been down for the game?

When ASU had the ball, they were just as dynamic as they were later in the playoffs, right? We ran the spread option against you as effectively as other teams had, right? There was no indication anywhere in that game that ASU was less than ready to play their game. The insinuation was that the ASU team JMU played was a different team than other teams played. I just don't see how that's accurate.

phillyAPP
February 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yosef - you are probably right that ASU will have a better D, but there's still a big mountain to be the best. I only say that because I think ASU was around 90th in D last year. Offensively - no doubt ASU is the best.

Two disclaimers: 1) Injuries hurt every team. Getting players back healthy only improves a squad. 2) When up by 40+ points, defenses will play less tight in games.

Until they prove it, they are strong on paper, but not as much on the field. I seem to remember an issue with tackling last year. Even in the NFL, I see many great athletes trying to arm tackle or hit a guy instead of wrapping someone up and making great form tackles. I think ASU has a little of this disease. But so do most schools anymore...

You are right about the JMU game but most games tackling is excellent.
I hope the paper is right. I think the APP D might be alittle better than anyone will expect. Thats a opinion I hope comes true during the playoffs.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM

Yep, I agree 100%. No disrespect there at all. But "waking up" a team and "catching them at the right time" are two different things. Semantics...

Why wasn't the loss to Wofford or Georgia Southern a wake up call or catching them at the right time. It has more to do with running a spread offense than anything. ASU just struggles against it. They may improve dramatically on this in 2008 - time will tell.

Anyway, you got three NCs in a row. No one else can claim that. ASU of this decade is a program of living legends. xnodx

lizrdgizrd
February 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
No, I agree that it was a "wake-up" call for your team and let them know that they could be beat, but was there a reason they should've been down for the game?

When ASU had the ball, they were just as dynamic as they were later in the playoffs, right? We ran the spread option against you as effectively as other teams had, right? There was no indication anywhere in that game that ASU was less than ready to play their game. The insinuation was that the ASU team JMU played was a different team than other teams played. I just don't see how that's accurate.

I think he's saying that the JMU game came at the right time for ASU, not that JMU got lucky that we were off our game. Without playing a talented team that pushed us to the brink of ending the season we'd have been less likely to be firing on all cylinders through the rest of the playoffs.

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
I think he's saying that the JMU game came at the right time for ASU, not that JMU got lucky that we were off our game. Without playing a talented team that pushed us to the brink of ending the season we'd have been less likely to be firing on all cylinders through the rest of the playoffs.

The guy from ASU was probably saying that, but the guy from UR was not, I don't think. If he admits otherwise, I'll agree.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM

I guess my focus was on our defense. We did struggle w/ spread offenses all year but I feel like until the 4th quarter we hadn't taken it to that playoff level just yet. Our run defense showed marked improvement in big situations at the end of that game and throughout the rest of the playoffs. Our inability to stop you, specifically on 4th down really hurt us in the TOP battle. Once again I am not trying to take anything away from JMU we didn't play beneath our ability and you did not play "better than usual" we just needed to take it to that "next level" and hadn't done so until the end of that game.

Eight Legger
February 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
My only point was that I THINK if JMU had played App in round 3, when we did, or in the title game, they would have lost by 20+ like we did and like Delaware did. I just don't think anyone was going to come close to App at that point in time. I might be wrong, who knows. I just said that is what I happen to THINK.

But like I said in my original post, it might also be that JMU is just a tough matchup for App for whatever reason, and would have played them close no matter what.

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I guess my focus was on our defense. We did struggle w/ spread offenses all year but I feel like until the 4th quarter we did not play up to our ability and just hadn't taken it to that playoff level just yet. Our inability to stop you, specifically on 4th down really hurt us in the TOP battle. Once again I am not trying to take anything away from JMU but that is just my personal analysis of that game.

Yea, I felt that way about our offense in the last 30 seconds, too. If only we had won that game, it could've been our "wake up" call. I guess you caught us at the right time.

Also, I might be mistaken, but didn't our first drive of the fourth quarter eat up almost half the quarter? There were two big 4th quarter plays by the defense, the 4th down stop and the fumble (and the ball was already fumbled on the hand off, the best part of that play was the recovery).

EDIT: BTW, I'm definitely not trying to knock ASU. They kept their heads in the game and beat us when it mattered. My only point is that they weren't "off their game."

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
16 starters returning, plus Holloman (stud RB) back from injury. They will be good. Should be a shootout in the South with JMU, UR and UD.

17 starters back + Holloman if 2nd team ALL CAA Defensive End Wahid is maintains eligibility.

"Defensive end Hassan Abdul-Wahid, who was listed as a senior this season, is expected to be granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA. Abdul-Wahid transferred to JMU from Virginia Commonwealth, which doesn’t field a football team, and played three seasons for the Dukes. Under NCAA rules, if he completes his degree requirements by the end of this year, he is eligible to play his fourth season."

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13570&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football%20wahid&title=&author=&channelid=

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM
First of all, let's clarify. I only saw ONE JMU fan talking smack on those threads.

On offense we return 10 of 11 and add our pre-season all-conference RB who got a medical redshirt for last year. We also add Kirby Long, who, according to the always unbiased Mickey Matthews, is the best athlete on the team and will be used like a "slash" type player all over the field.

Defense is our question mark as we lost several of our key pieces, namely Tony Lezotte at safety and Baranowsky on the D-Line. But we still have a pretty solid core...I think 7 returning starters.
It's going to be a good game. Bridgeforth will definitely be buzzing after the game last year. Although the drunk, arrogant student section should make ASU feel right at home.:D :p

Make that 8 starters on defense if Wahid is eligible. See prior post.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM

More on Kirby Long:
07' recruiting article:
"Not even Maryland or Connecticut could lure away defensive back Kerby Long, an Arlington native who played one post-graduate year at Fork Union Military Academy.

"Five years ago, we would have had no chance of signing Kerby Long," Matthews said. "Maryland and some other schools came in on him in January. We would have had no chance to hold those schools off. We’ve lost a lot of recruits down through the years."

Matthews once again credited Bridgeforth Stadium’s state-of-the-art athletic performance center with helping keep big-time recruits interested in Division I-AA JMU even after bigger dogs come sniffing around.

Long was the most well-regarded player on the signing list, with Matthews likening his addition to that of three-time All-American free safety Tony LeZotte.

"He may be the most highly recruited cat we’ve ever signed," Matthews said. "He’d be right there with Tony.""

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=8662&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football%20Long&title=&author=&channelid=0

"The impact of Baker’s departure — he ends his career ranked eighth in catches (108) and yards (1,434) and sixth in touchdown receptions (13) — could be lessened if freshman Kerby Long emerges the way Matthews is hoping.

Long, originally recruited as a defensive back, redshirted this season and will play with the offense in 2008, Matthews said.

“Everyone will love watching him play next year,” Matthews said. “He’s going to be Slash. We’re going to make sure he touches the ball a lot.”

Matthews said Long, a 6-foot, 180-pounder, will play receiver and tailback and could even line up some plays at quarterback.

Matthews often said during the year that he’d like to play Long, who missed the first month of the season waiting for the NCAA to certify his test scores.

“He was a better athlete than anybody we were playing on Saturday,” Matthews said."

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13570&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football%20wahid&title=&author=&channelid=

Believe me, Kirby Long is the REAL DEAL. He will be a major impact player this season for JMU and a star in the CAA.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM

And both starting corners were out (one injured, one suspended 1 game, both were back against UNH & Santos), so backups had to play against those 2 stud UNC receivers, BY FAR the top tandem JMU faced all season.

And UNC 2 blocked JMU punts

And Rodney fumbles the 1st play

And threw a 1st half pick, was a nightmare in 1st half.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM

Rodney is a good passer. Ranked 19 of 116 I-AA QBs in passer rating, completeing over 63% of his passes. UD was by far his worst game. Rumor has it that he had an injured wrist that JMU tried to keep secret. UD game he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. But I watched him go 25 of 32 against a good Nova team for 300+ yards, which included several drops. That was one of the best passing games I have EVER seen a JMU QB have in person.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=3&year=2007&group=81

james_lawfirm
February 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
JMU has more speed, but less power than UR. UR is like a Big 10 team. Built for power, akin to Michigan and Ohio St. if comparing to the BCS. You saw what ASU did to Michigan. Delaware is also more power than speed. Cuff was strong, Flacco has the strong arm and some escapability, but he was never an option-type QB like Landers or Edwards. Both of these teams win in the CAA due to overpowering their opponents. So did JMU in 2004. JMU in 2008 is more built for speed, like many teams in the SoCon.

I just think JMU resembles more of the SoCon type of team than Delaware or Richmond. Richmond looked painfully slow against ASU and Richmond's offense is far less dynamic. However, Richmond and Delaware are both more disciplined, which is why the Dukes lost those two games - turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Delaware had a rough game vs. ASU, but it came to me as no surprise considering how well we moved the ball when JMU played at Delaware. Remember that last year was the youngest JMU football team since 2001.

I agree with your analysis. Rep points.

james_lawfirm
February 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM

I understand your point, BUT I would describe it as having trouble with teams when Armanti is not 100%.

Hoyadestroya85
February 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM

Aren't you forgetting a certain team that has arguably the best recruiting class as well as 18 returning starters?

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Aren't you forgetting a certain team that has arguably the best recruiting class as well as 18 returning starters?

Nova started 5 seniors in their UD game, leaving 17 starters to come back (8 offense, 9 defense).

It looks to be 17 starters back for UR, JMU and Nova, and 15 for UD, 18 for W&M, 13 for Towson.

For UR was from the local Richmond Times Dispatch, from UD, W&M, and Towson was from the respective JMU game notes.

ericsaid
February 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM

Appalachian also have their front seven returning on defense will a vandy transfer at DE this year and Tim washing the LSU transfer from last season, and then anthony williams and gary tharrington both all amaerican tackles and then all three all american line backers, from last season a semi new secondary coming back, leonard love intercepted a pass at michigan and will be playing this year and cortez gilbert will be starting every game now, and a red shirt freshmen to watch this coming season is brain quick, he's a 6'5 200+ wide reciever, apps offense will be fine but how will the secondary do? and i expect the front seven to stuff the run this year and maybe depending on the freshmen players in the secondary which i expect to grow up fairly quick

ericsaid
February 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
villanova also wont do anything this season, or next or the next UR is returning a lot of players and from what i saw ayt the App semi final game will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple of years, as for james madison, im sorry i cant say the same thing

Hoyadestroya85
February 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Nova started 5 seniors in their UD game, leaving 17 starters to come back (8 offense, 9 defense).

It looks to be 17 starters back for UR, JMU and Nova, and 15 for UD, 18 for W&M, 13 for Towson.

For UR was from the local Richmond Times Dispatch, from UD, W&M, and Towson was from the respective JMU game notes.

that's right.. but as far as the guys who got starters numbers of snaps its 18

mcveyrl
February 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I understand your point, BUT I would describe it as having trouble with teams when Armanti is not 100%.

Armanti defended the spread option?xconfusedx

ericsaid
February 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
I would honestly be interested to see how this new guy app got from Tampa to possibly back up armanti will be, jerry moore seems to think he's a "clone" of armanti saying when watching film of him "if he had number 14 on you would think that was armanti", heard that in an interview with him, but i dont know but i believe App if armanti stays healthy and stays consistent i could see a 2000+ possibly and a 2000+ passing, which is almost a given but he maube if he plays every game throw for 2500 this season. i say apps leading reciever will be brian quick and d.j. smith leading tackler rising sophomore, he's ranked 11th out of linebackers in draft year of 2011 by the nfl draft scout thingxthumbsupx, app beats jmu by 21 since apps defense wont be near as inexperienced against the run as they were this past year, that close game next year will drive app more thanJMU to work harder, anyone who has seen appalachian can tell they have great motivaters on that team

james_lawfirm
February 21st, 2008, 08:28 PM
Armanti defended the spread option?xconfusedx

Now counselor, my point was not that AE played defense, only that regardless of App's defense, App lost the GaSo & Wofford games when AE was not 100%.

Of course, those venerable opponents did have something to do with it.

Those '08 games in Statesboro & vs. Wofford in Boone should be good ones.

james_lawfirm
February 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
By the way, I hope you all are right about Brian Quick. He certainly appears to have the size to be a fabulous WR. But, he is going to have to quit dropping passes. I'll never forget that 6 points he left on the field at Mich. in the 2nd half when we really needed them.

I am certainly willing to give him a 2nd chance, but he better be catching the dang ball. I am also sure I am not the only one who remembers that dropped pass.

appstate38
February 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Dukes all I know from what I saw of you guys last year. The future looks bright for you. But if you guys lay an egg at Duke, then I will loose all respect for you:D :D

ericsaid
February 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
brian quick didn't play football but one year in high shcool so for jerry moore to give him a chance means theres something there, it will be exciting to see app with a big reciever, d.j. smith may be the socon defensive player of the year next season and if armanti's healthy all seaosn he'll be the offensive player of the year so thats pretty exciting, and people who know about the socon and d.j. smith and armanti can back me up on that argument, d.j. started seven games and had 111 tackles? i believe maybe 115 i dont remember.

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM
villanova also wont do anything this season, or next or the next UR is returning a lot of players and from what i saw ayt the App semi final game will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple of years, as for james madison, im sorry i cant say the same thing

I really think you might be underestimating JMU a little bit there bud, and perhaps Vilanova as well.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Appalachian also have their front seven returning on defense will a vandy transfer at DE this year and Tim washing the LSU transfer from last season, and then anthony williams and gary tharrington both all amaerican tackles and then all three all american line backers, from last season a semi new secondary coming back, leonard love intercepted a pass at michigan and will be playing this year and cortez gilbert will be starting every game now, and a red shirt freshmen to watch this coming season is brain quick, he's a 6'5 200+ wide reciever, apps offense will be fine but how will the secondary do? and i expect the front seven to stuff the run this year and maybe depending on the freshmen players in the secondary which i expect to grow up fairly quick

Ok, 5 of the front 7 made AA for Sports Network, but Sports Network with honorbale mention gives it to everybody and his brother.

Tharrington wasn't a 3rd team Sports Network All American at D tackle, was at De end.

As far as the Sports Network All American teams, sure the 1st-3rd may be somewhat legit, but the honorable mention is a joke. They have 12 linebackers making 1st-3rd team All American, and I counted another 32 making honorable mention, for a total of 44 linebackers! It was similar with other positions.

Go to the other All American teams, and Walter Camp and Coaches which only did a 1st team ASU front 7 had zero All Americans.

AP, whic did 3 teams, ASU front 7 had one All American on the 3rd team, Tharrington.

The ASU front 7 with all of them coming back I'm sure will be WAY better NEXT season, but to say that 5 of those 7 were All American caliber LAST season is a joke. Maybe a couple of them were. But no one is 90th in rushing defense and has 5 All Americans in their front 7.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I would honestly be interested to see how this new guy app got from Tampa to possibly back up armanti will be, jerry moore seems to think he's a "clone" of armanti saying when watching film of him "if he had number 14 on you would think that was armanti", heard that in an interview with him, but i dont know but i believe App if armanti stays healthy and stays consistent i could see a 2000+ possibly and a 2000+ passing, which is almost a given but he maube if he plays every game throw for 2500 this season. i say apps leading reciever will be brian quick and d.j. smith leading tackler rising sophomore, he's ranked 11th out of linebackers in draft year of 2011 by the nfl draft scout thingxthumbsupx, app beats jmu by 21 since apps defense wont be near as inexperienced against the run as they were this past year, that close game next year will drive app more thanJMU to work harder, anyone who has seen appalachian can tell they have great motivaters on that team

Hey genius, ASU may have their entire front 7 returning, but JMU has their entire BIG O-line returning, their top 2 TBs plus their 06' All CAA Holloman TB who was out for the last 10 games plus Landers at QB. So the same JMU players + a major additon at tailback going aginst the same ASU players all of a sudden won't be able to run effectively against ASU xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
February 21st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Rodney is a good passer. Ranked 19 of 116 I-AA QBs in passer rating, completeing over 63% of his passes. UD was by far his worst game. Rumor has it that he had an injured wrist that JMU tried to keep secret. UD game he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. But I watched him go 25 of 32 against a good Nova team for 300+ yards, which included several drops. That was one of the best passing games I have EVER seen a JMU QB have in person.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=3&year=2007&group=81

I just disagree, and I don't base it on just the UD game, which I agree passing-wise Landers was abysmal at best. I saw that nova game and it wasn't anywhere close to some of Rascati's best games, let alone going back to guys like Cawley. nova played a passive D and JMU ran a lot of short, easy passes - tons of WR bubble screens that nova never bothered to adjust to. Landers is a good QB, and when he's running well he's a very good QB. But between him and that offense, he's just not a very effective throwing QB. However, the offense is still effective running the ball so it doesn't really matter how well he can throw. xthumbsupx

jmu_duke07
February 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM
I just disagree, and I don't base it on just the UD game, which I agree passing-wise Landers was abysmal at best. I saw that nova game and it wasn't anywhere close to some of Rascati's best games, let alone going back to guys like Cawley. nova played a passive D and JMU ran a lot of short, easy passes - tons of WR bubble screens that nova never bothered to adjust to. Landers is a good QB, and when he's running well he's a very good QB. But between him and that offense, he's just not a very effective throwing QB. However, the offense is still effective running the ball so it doesn't really matter how well he can throw. xthumbsupx

I'm gonna have to agree to GF on this one... When Rodney throws, I get a bit uneasy... As for running, I have no doubt he would pick up the yardage for the first down (minus the 4th quarter ASU postseason game). I literally jumped out of my seat when Rodney threw that 30+, possibly 40+, yard pass against UR when they were up by 17 points (0-17) in the first half... It gave some hope of return for that game... which was possibly his highlighted play when it comes to him passing in '07. If Rodney can better his throwing ability and become par with his running game in '07, there is no doubt he will be a force to reckon with in the '08 season.

Hoyadestroya85
February 22nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Rodney Landers had a beast of a game against us... that was probably our only poorly played game all year... But he could have single handedly beat us.. we have the advantage of playing at home against JMU and Richmond and we swept them in 06 with a less talented team

mlbowl
February 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
and if armanti's healthy all seaosn he'll be the offensive player of the year so thats pretty exciting,

a tad presumptuous there

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Question for JMU fans: Landers made it through last year unscathed, especially for all the running he does. I know there were rumors swirling the week of the Appy game on his status. If he goes down at all this year, do you have a backup that can run the spread?

mcveyrl
February 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Now counselor, my point was not that AE played defense, only that regardless of App's defense, App lost the GaSo & Wofford games when AE was not 100%.

Of course, those venerable opponents did have something to do with it.

Those '08 games in Statesboro & vs. Wofford in Boone should be good ones.

I know, I know. I think ASU wins those games with AE completely healthy. My point was that the defense was consistently suspect against the spread option. Again, not to disparage ASU (how could you?) but to point out that any "deficiencies" they showed against JMU weren't a result of us catching them at the "right time" but a result of a good match-up.

I'll be the first to admit that our defense did not match up well against the offense. But our offense matched up so well that we were able to execute our game plan against it, which helped our defense a little (but not enough xbawlingx xbawlingx

DTSpider
February 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'm gonna have to agree to GF on this one... When Rodney throws, I get a bit uneasy... As for running, I have no doubt he would pick up the yardage for the first down (minus the 4th quarter ASU postseason game). I literally jumped out of my seat when Rodney threw that 30+, possibly 40+, yard pass against UR when they were up by 17 points (0-17) in the first half... It gave some hope of return for that game... which was possibly his highlighted play when it comes to him passing in '07. If Rodney can better his throwing ability and become par with his running game in '07, there is no doubt he will be a force to reckon with in the '08 season.

Landers is a great running QB and I think his passing will improve for this upcoming year.

As for the bomb against UR, I wouldn't say that it was necessarily a good throw. Howell whiffed on the interception, allowing the JMU player to catch it.

mcveyrl
February 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM

I agree with GF too. Landers is a mediocre passer at best. He's inaccurate and sometimes throws way too hard, so the ball either sails or the receiver can't handle it (usually because he's got to stretch to get to it anyway). I can think of an interception in the ASU game and the UD game where Landers got picked because it bounced off the receivers hands. He threw it harder than it needed to be and both balls bounced up 10 ft. in the air.

Most of his passing yards come off of screens and quick slants (which are sometimes inaccurate too).

But, I also agree that as long as its working, no need to change it.

mcveyrl
February 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Question for JMU fans: Landers made it through last year unscathed, especially for all the running he does. I know there were rumors swirling the week of the Appy game on his status. If he goes down at all this year, do you have a backup that can run the spread?

I'm assuming that Drew Dudzik will still be the backup. I don't think he's as quick or big as Landers, but makes up for it in pass accuracy.

I think the offense will suffer when he's in.

But, I guess it's possible that Kirby Long could step in too. Matthews has talked about him playing some QB, but I'm not sure if he could step in full time.

If I had to guess, Mickey's got some hair brained offensive scheme to put in if Landers goes down.

mcveyrl
February 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM

Please explain.

mcveyrl
February 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Landers is a great running QB and I think his passing will improve for this upcoming year.

As for the bomb against UR, I wouldn't say that it was necessarily a good throw. Howell whiffed on the interception, allowing the JMU player to catch it.

I agree, that was more of a desperation type throw. For my money, you can't beat his pass with under a minute against ASU. It was a well thrown ball, exactly where it needed to be.

Duke Dawg
February 22nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
I am late to this thread, but it is a good discussion.

I'd like to add, when considering the ASU-JMU matchups, it's worth pointing out that the total yards in the past two meetings between the 2 schools is HEAVILY in JMU's favor:

2006 - JMU 337 ASU 236
2007 - JMU 436 ASU 330

And, both those games were at ASU and ASU won national titles (deservedly !) both years.

My point is: the game this year is (finally) at JMU, where we are tough to beat....JMU returns ALOT from last year....and JMU has proven in the past that that it can more than play with ASU.

I mean absolutely no disrespect at all to ASU, they've earned all the respect in the world...but I am very confident in my team's chances to win next year.

AppStFan76
February 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
No offence taken here I think that J MU has definitely proven themselves a worthy opponent. I have no doubt that you have the ability to win against App. The reason the thread was started was out of questions of how we will match up against Yall after the playoff game in Boone

However I like our Chances against JMU as long as we don't have too many injuries in the LSU game

Black Saturday
February 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
By the way, I hope you all are right about Brian Quick. He certainly appears to have the size to be a fabulous WR. But, he is going to have to quit dropping passes. I'll never forget that 6 points he left on the field at Mich. in the 2nd half when we really needed them.

I am certainly willing to give him a 2nd chance, but he better be catching the dang ball. I am also sure I am not the only one who remembers that dropped pass.

Quick did attone himself well with the first blocked field goal at Michigan, counts just as much as the second, but Corey's is the more memorable one.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

Here is the pass against UR (Skip to 1:52 in the highlight video):

http://www.jmusports.com/mediaPlayer/video.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&LCH=1&CLIP_ID=78032&CLIP_FILE_ID=83004&CONTENT_TYPE=ONDEMAND&db_oem_id=14400

I think he'll improve as he has the ability, we just have not seen consistency with his arm like we have his running game. Landers best pass of the season was sadly against VMI, when we didn't really need it. He threw a beauty. (Skip to the 2:30 mark in the video highlights)

http://www.jmusports.com/mediaPlayer/video.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&LCH=1&CLIP_ID=71553&CLIP_FILE_ID=76588&CONTENT_TYPE=ONDEMAND&db_oem_id=14400

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM

Villanova is going to be good again and will not sneak up on anyone in the conference. Any rival of Delaware is a friend of mine xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

I have liked Villanova ever since Brian Westbrook graduated. I have hated the Philadelphia Eagles ever since Brian Westbrook graduated. Damn, what a player that guy is...

neersnbeers
February 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Can't till JMU/ASU. Hope I can make it!

trusty
February 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM

Although the drunk, arrogant student section should make ASU feel right at home.:D :p

You guys have porta-johns also?
xlolx

HENJOHN
February 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
I thought that JMU was the best CAA team I saw us (UD) play last year. We moved the ball on them and held them down for a half but having seen all of the teams, I still think they were the best sqaud we faced. If not for some bonehead moves by Mickey Matthews against APP State in the playoffs, the I-AA Final could have very easily been the Hens & Dukes rematch.

Rekdiver
February 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
JMU scared me last year and after the improbable win in the playoffs I am more leary of them than anyone on our schedule. It will be a statement game and set the tone for both teams. I arrogantly expected ASU to blow them out like we did UD. JMU is set for a long run this year and is a good looking team on paper and on the field and has that intangible to build on from the loss. If we beat them in the 1st game I sure hope we don't face them again.

BDKJMU
February 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Rodney Landers had a beast of a game against us... that was probably our only poorly played game all year... But he could have single handedly beat us.. we have the advantage of playing at home against JMU and Richmond and we swept them in 06 with a less talented team

UR should be much better than in 06' (I believe they finished 6-5) and JMU 08' will be better than 06'. Course Nova 08' will be much better than 06'. Should be interesting. I think that (against Nova) might have been JMU's 2nd worse game in 06' next to Bloomsburg- fumbles at the Nova 6 and 21, and a JMU punt return for TD called back..

I only live about 25 min from Nova, so I will definitely be there. It was funny in 06' JMU fans (I remember JMU brought several thousand fans- JMU at the time was 8-1 and ranked 4th I think. A lot of Northern VA/DC area, Baltimore, ans Philly area alums came). There was some old Nova fans, guys in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who were sitting in the visitor section (I know when I went to the @ Nova games in 03' and 04' the visitor section was on the other side) talking smack. Never have seen that anywhere else. Stuff was going back and forth, but they got the last laugh.

BDKJMU
February 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM

I really think you might be underestimating JMU a little bit there bud, and perhaps Vilanova as well.

This guy is obviously clueless...

BDKJMU
February 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM

Hey genius, ASU may have their entire front 7 returning, but JMU has their entire BIG O-line returning, their top 2 TBs plus their 06' All CAA Holloman TB who was out for the last 10 games plus Landers at QB. So the same JMU players + a major additon at tailback going aginst the same ASU players all of a sudden won't be able to run effectively against ASU xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx

All the other ASU as well as JMU posters on have said they expect a close game betwwen JMU & ASU. After seeing the JMU/ASU game last season, comparing what both teams have coming back, and given the fact that the game will be at JMU, for you to come on here as a new poster and show zero respect for JMU by saying ASU will win in 3 TD cakewalk show that you are completely clueless. I'm putting your post in my "idiot picks" folder, and if JMU wins, you can bet I'll be reposting saying look at what this guy predicted predicted.....

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I am late to this thread, but it is a good discussion.

I'd like to add, when considering the ASU-JMU matchups, it's worth pointing out that the total yards in the past two meetings between the 2 schools is HEAVILY in JMU's favor:

2006 - JMU 337 ASU 236
2007 - JMU 436 ASU 330

And, both those games were at ASU and ASU won national titles (deservedly !) both years.

My point is: the game this year is (finally) at JMU, where we are tough to beat....JMU returns ALOT from last year....and JMU has proven in the past that that it can more than play with ASU.

I mean absolutely no disrespect at all to ASU, they've earned all the respect in the world...but I am very confident in my team's chances to win next year.

Actually, in all 3 of JMU's I-AA losses they outgained their opponents.
17-16 loss to UR, outgained 256-245, but lost the turnover battle 3-2.
-2 JMU turnovers in JMU territory led to 10 UR points
-3rd JMU turnover ended a late 4th quarter potential game winning drive in UR territory
-2 UR turnovers in UR territory led to 6 JMU points.
Biggest reason JMU lost the game was because of turnovers.

37-34 loss @ UD, outgained 442-418, but lost the turnover battle 4-0
-3 JMU turnovers led to 17 UD points.
4th JMU turnover ended potential late 4th quarter game tying or winning drive deep in UD territory.
Again, biggest reason JMU lost the game was because of turnovers

28-27 loss @ ASU
-1 JMU fumble at the ASU 21 was returned 77 yards to JMU 2. ASU scored TD 3 plays later. At minimum a 10 point swing, probably 14.
-JMU INT in JMU terriotry led to ASU TD (missed XP)
-We all know about the famous fumble in the end that prevented JMU from kicking game winning field goal.
JMU's turnovers = -10 JMU, +13 ASU.

ASU fumble on 1st drive at JMU 24 prevented likely ASU TD.
ASU fumble at their 44 led to JMU TD.
ASU's turnovers = +7 JMU, -7 ASU.

Net effect of all turnovers = -3 JMU, +6 ASU
Again, biggest reason JMU lost the game was because of turnovers.

Now for those 3 losses JMU lost the turnover battle 10-3. 7 of those turnovers were fumbles, 3 were INTs. Only one of those INTs was clearly Lander's fault (the late 4th qtr UR one). The other 2 (UD and ASU) were debatable, as the UD was was a little behind the receiver, but he juggled it, and the ASU one it just bounced off the receiver's hands up in the air as I remember it).

Of those 7 fumbles
-one was by the punter (UD game)
-one was by the tight end (ASU- that was the likely 14 pt swing one)
-one was by tailback Noble-the famous no whistle in the UD game which I don't blame the tailback for
-but the other 4 were by the tailbacks in which they were clearly at fault. Now hopefully with Holloman in there (I don't know if he fumbled at all on his way to rushing for 1085 yds in 10 games in 06'. If he did, he didn't fumble much, as JMU lost only 4 fumbles 06' vs 15 07') plus Yancey and Sullivan with a season of experience under their belt, plus maybe this Temple transfer getting PT (Noble will probably redshirt), the fumbling problem will mostly go away (back to 06' level).

Bottom line, JMU lost to 3 of the final 4 teams by a combined total of 5 points, while losing by 7 the turnover battle 10-3. I've analyzed the combined net effect of those turnovers in those 3 games and it is likely -5 JMU (at a minimum) and +33 for the opponents. That is HUGE for just 3 games.

Looking at the schedule comparing 08' to 07' the way I see it:
OOC
UNC 07' vs Duke 08'= easier
VMI 07' home vs NCCU 08' home= wash
CCU 07' home vs ASU 08' home = WAY tougher

CAA
UNH 07' home vs UMass 08' home = wash
Northeastern 07' away vs Hofstra 08' home= wash (NU tough at Parsons)
URI 07' away vs Maine 08' away= way tougher
Nova 07' home vs 08' away= way tougher
UR 07' home vs 08' away= tougher (06' JMU brought about 4k of 11k+)
UD 07' away vs 08' home= easier
W&M 07' away vs 08' home= tougher (W&M will be MUCH improved)
Towson 07' home vs 08' away= wash (only 13 starters back from last game with JMU, but will have Schaeffer).

JMU 08' will be deeper, more experienced, more talented than JMU 07' (which was the youngest JMU team since 01') with 17 starters & 38 of 44 on 2 deep returning + Holloman. But the schedule will be tougher. So if JMU gets their turnover problem fixed (were -6 on the season vs +3 in 06'), esp in their big games (as I expect they will) and don't get hit with major injuries to a large # of starters, then I think JMU will win the CAA, get a seed, and contend for the national title. If JMU doesn't get their turnover problem fixed, or gets hit with major injuries to a large # of starters, then they won't win the CAA and it will be another top 5 1st round matchup on the road and early exit from the playoffs, if they even make it.

ericsaid
February 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Also Appalachian missed three extra points, that being said +3

Rekdiver
February 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Then the obvious key is for JMU to stop outgaining their opponents or start executing players for turnovers!

mcveyrl
February 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Then the obvious key is for JMU to stop outgaining their opponents or start executing players for turnovers!

ding, ding ding...

we have a winner...

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM

Has to be the dumbest post of the year!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

wideright82
December 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM

hahaha i think he deserves some rep points for that one xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

South Carolina Duke
December 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

Agreed!

Looks like Dave Couslon has a new Pen Name on
AGS...ericsaid....

JmuSkinsfan
December 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
There was a few AGS and CAAzone threads from earlier in the year that I had saved under my Bookmarks in an "Idiot Picks" folder, and this was one of them.

Linehawg
December 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM

All those "starters" minus Landers and it it doesn't look so rosey without the franchise player.

chiapet9
December 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
All those "starters" minus Landers and it it doesn't look so rosey without the franchise player.

Just like Appalachian State without Armanti The Great.

Try making a better point.xcoffeex

madisonfan87
December 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Every team has that one player who is the "franchise" player. JMU has been pretty solid in recent years and I only see that trend continuing. Dudzik doesn't look to shabby with what I've seen him do in limited action. At least he passes well and can scramble a lil bit. Reminds me of Rascati.

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Every team has that one player who is the "franchise" player. JMU has been pretty solid in recent years and I only see that trend continuing. Dudzik doesn't look to shabby with what I've seen him do in limited action. At least he passes well and can scramble a lil bit. Reminds me of Rascati.

He reminds me of Rascati as well! I still rock my Rascati jersey to every game.

jus10asu
December 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM

I hate to break it to ya but Deandre Presley is gonna be a baller after AE leaves. I don't really expect much of a drop with DP. Its almost impossible to replace AE but Deandre has done very well with a second and third string O around him already this season and performed very very well when he started due to AE's injury. Looks like App isn't gonna drop off much if any at all in the foreseeable future.xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 08:49 AM

You're right, we only got one National Championship before he arrived. I don't understand the point (and this goes not just to you) arguing about future teams...there's a lot of AWESOME football to be played right now! xpeacex

Go MOUNTAINEERS! and Go FCS!

JmuSkinsfan
December 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM
You're right, we only got one National Championship before he arrived. I don't understand the point (and this goes not just to you) arguing about future teams...there's a lot of AWESOME football to be played right now! xpeacex

Go MOUNTAINEERS! and Go FCS!

As did JMU pre-Landers. Your point? I think a lot of people will argue that that 2005 team was carried by Richardson, Jackson, defense, etc....

appstate1998
December 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
As did JMU pre-Landers. Your point? I think a lot of people will argue that that 2005 team was carried by Richardson, Jackson, defense, etc....

Definitely in the playoffs I agree. Williams only really had one good playoff game and that was against S. Illinois.