PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a local opponent for Georgetown

LBPop
February 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
At the awards banquet last Friday it was announced that the Hoyas would begin their season playing at Howard University. This game has been a good idea for years and has been discussed a few times on this board. It is a geographic natural and Georgetown will now be facing two scholarship FCS programs in 2008. The Hoyas will probably be outweighed (as usual), but it will be outstanding for them to be playing another DC team. I am only sorry that LBKid will have missed playing in it by one year. Here's the link to DFW's site with the current "unofficial" schedule:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

Go...gate
February 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
That is a very fine schedule. xthumbsupx

89Hen
February 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
At the awards banquet last Friday it was announced that the Hoyas would begin their season playing at Howard University.
What next, Delaware vs. DelSt? xeekx xsmiley_wix

Ivytalk
February 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
It's always good to have one "backyard brawl" a year!xnodx

henfan
February 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
They actually agreed to this game without an act of Congress or divine intervention? Who knew you could get games scheduled by simple effort?;)

Congrats.xthumbsupx Should be a nice game for FB fans in the Capitol area.

ngineer
February 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Excellent. That game should be a natural. As said above, schools need 'back yard brawls'...and I (we) should know!xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
February 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Looking at the recruit list, I notice not a single player from Maryland, Virginia or the District.xeekx

89Hen
February 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Looking at the recruit list, I notice not a single player from Maryland, Virginia or the District.xeekx
Not surprising as that's pretty representative of the overall student body.

Go...gate
February 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Excellent. That game should be a natural. As said above, schools need 'back yard brawls'...and I (we) should know!xthumbsupx

Agreed.

Seawolf97
February 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Nice looking schedule and good to see you take on a local rival. Hopefully Stonybrook will make another road trip to DC to play you guysxthumbsupx

Husky Alum
February 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
It's always good to have one "backyard brawl" a year!xnodx

So have your AD call ours. We'll schlep over the river any time!

ur2k
February 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Glad to see you guys on our schedule as well. Similar schools, relatively close in distance. Should be a good addition to both of our schedules.

nwFL Griz
February 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
With the release of the Big East schedule today, looks like the G'Town-Howard game would be on Sep 6.....seeing as how Howard is at Rutgers on Aug 30.

Anyone close to the program confirm?

UNHWildCats
February 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
At the awards banquet last Friday it was announced that the Hoyas would begin their season playing at Howard University. This game has been a good idea for years and has been discussed a few times on this board. It is a geographic natural and Georgetown will now be facing two scholarship FCS programs in 2008. The Hoyas will probably be outweighed (as usual), but it will be outstanding for them to be playing another DC team. I am only sorry that LBKid will have missed playing in it by one year. Here's the link to DFW's site with the current "unofficial" schedule:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm
This link says Georgetown will play at Howard on August 30, yet Howard will be playing at Rutgers that day according to the Rutgers site.

Rutgers does have the following week open, does anyone know if that game date has been rescheduled? Or is it possible the Georgetown/Howard game is on the 6th where both teams have openings?

http://scarletknights.com/football/schedule/schedule.asp

UNHWildCats
February 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
With the release of the Big East schedule today, looks like the G'Town-Howard game would be on Sep 6.....seeing as how Howard is at Rutgers on Aug 30.

Anyone close to the program confirm?
'doh..... :p

Go...gate
February 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I just saw in the Trenton Times in which Rutgers announced it is playing Howard on 8/30/08 in New Brunswick. What gives?

Eight Legger
February 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
This link says Georgetown will play at Howard on August 30, yet Howard will be playing at Rutgers that day according to the Rutgers site.

http://scarletknights.com/football/schedule/schedule.asp

This is what I call good scheduling by G-town! A win by forfeit if the other team doesn't show up...:D

DFW HOYA
February 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm looking at a schedule right now that has Georgetown at Howard on Aug. 30. If Howard pulled a fast one this would really stink.

Go...gate
February 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
The solution here is to cut out the middleman completely and have Georgetown play at Rutgers....How 'bout it Hoyas?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 26th, 2008, 03:33 PM
The solution here is to cut out the middleman completely and have Georgetown play at Rutgers....How 'bout it Hoyas?

It certainly would be easier on Howard... :p

Seawolf97
February 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Excellent and the winner plays Howard on Sunday:D

LBPop
February 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
This is what I call good scheduling by G-town! A win by forfeit if the other team doesn't show up...:D

And they would get credit for a road victory while only having to travel a couple of miles. Imagine that...a 1-10 team starting the next season 1-0. xthumbsupx
On a slightly more serious note, I certainly don't have any idea what the story is, but I have to assume that someone at Georgetown spoke to someone at Howard University before Georgetown put this out. Coach Kelly actually announced the schedule at the awards banquet, so he obviously thinks it's a done deal. I must say that a 1-10 team has already withstood more embarrassment than a group of young man should have to endure. But adding a schedule mistake would just be "icing on the cake". :o

LBPop
February 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Update: Howard vs. Georgetown unofficially moved to September 6th. I guess there will be no freebies for the Hoyas next season.xbawlingx

dasteelers
February 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
IT ALL STARTS WITH RECRUITING.
IF THEY CAN NOT GET THE LOCAL 3 STATE AREA KIDS TO COME TO SUCH A FINE SCHOOL THEY WILL NEVER HAVE A TEAM. THERE IS A REASON THE LARGEST SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTRY HAVE 50% OF THERE BOYS WITHIN 3 HOURS. SEVERAL REASONS.
IF YOU CAN NOT GET PARENTS TO THE GAMES YOU WILL NOT HAVE STUDENTS SHOWING UP.
IT EASIER TRANSITION FOR YOUNG MEN WHO MISS THERE MOMS,GIRLFRIENDS, SISTER .

COACHES SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A BETTER LOOK AT LOCAL TALENT THAT IS NEAR BUY THAN THEY HAVE BEEN ! THERE WAS AT LEAST 25 (DIV 1) KIDS IN MARYLAND THAT PLAYED IN SUPER 22 ALL STAR GAME AND THEY COULDN'T EVEN SEND A COACH TO THE GAME OR BANQUET OR TO THE 2 WEEKS OF PRACTICE. THERE WERE COACHES FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY WHO MADE AN EFFORT TO TALK TO PARENTS AND WATCH THEM PERFORM AGAINST THE BEST IN THE STATE. I QUESS THEY WERE BUSY.......xnonox

NYHOYA
February 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
IT ALL STARTS WITH RECRUITING.
IF THEY CAN NOT GET THE LOCAL 3 STATE AREA KIDS TO COME TO SUCH A FINE SCHOOL THEY WILL NEVER HAVE A TEAM. THERE IS A REASON THE LARGEST SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTRY HAVE 50% OF THERE BOYS WITHIN 3 HOURS. SEVERAL REASONS.
IF YOU CAN NOT GET PARENTS TO THE GAMES YOU WILL NOT HAVE STUDENTS SHOWING UP.
IT EASIER TRANSITION FOR YOUNG MEN WHO MISS THERE MOMS,GIRLFRIENDS, SISTER .

COACHES SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A BETTER LOOK AT LOCAL TALENT THAT IS NEAR BUY THAN THEY HAVE BEEN ! THERE WAS AT LEAST 25 (DIV 1) KIDS IN MARYLAND THAT PLAYED IN SUPER 22 ALL STAR GAME AND THEY COULDN'T EVEN SEND A COACH TO THE GAME OR BANQUET OR TO THE 2 WEEKS OF PRACTICE. THERE WERE COACHES FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY WHO MADE AN EFFORT TO TALK TO PARENTS AND WATCH THEM PERFORM AGAINST THE BEST IN THE STATE. I QUESS THEY WERE BUSY.......xnonox

Ivy/patriot schools like gtown cannot be succesfull if they focus on local recruiting. The pool of athletes with the combination of academic and athletic ability to suceed at such a school is simply far too small.

Besides it would not be very smart for gtown to focus their recruiting on the local area for a few reasons. The first thing you gotta realize is that that type of recruiting works best for programs that possess the prestige to attract just about any local kid they want, the kind of programs that have local kids growing up with dreams about playing for them (i.e. not the hoyas). The second thing is that the biggest advantage gtown has in recruiting overall is name recognition. You find some kid out in Texas, Florida or wherever and ask them what they know about any other PL school and chances are the answer is just about nothing. Ask them about gtown and chances are much better that they've heard of the school simply because of the academic rep.

In short: recruiting nationally = more talent and a better shot at getting that talent to come to gtown.
recruiting locally = less talent and a smaller chance of getting that talent to come to gtown.

Now thats a no brainer.

Oh and you guessed right, they were busy. Busy signing 5 players from Texas, 4 players from Ohio, 4 players from Jersey, 3 players from CT, 2 players from Rhode Island, 2 players from PA, 2 players from Florida and one player each from Michigan, Cali, Georgia, Wisconsin, Illinois and New York.

R.A.
February 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM
It's always good to start out the season with a win...

DFW HOYA
February 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Any school in particular you are talking about? A Georgetown team with no DC area recruits or a Howard team with only two?

R.A.
February 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Any school in particular you are talking about? A Georgetown team with no DC area recruits or a Howard team with only two?

xlolx

dasteelers
February 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
http://all.digitalsports.com/organizations/7/articles/16735-34-sign-from-btc-member-schools

not trying to piss you off nyhoya everybody has a different opinion. seeing the different opinions what makes this board interesting . as you can see from the site above at least half of the 34 boys went to high end academic schools. several of the boys that did not had the grades to do so.
your success rate on bringing recruits in and landing them is much higher the closer they are. i was on visits with boys and their families who visited the first weekend in feb. (5 of them.) all from far away and all did not have a good visit or sign. they chose elsewhere and will be playing against them. WHY ? IT'S NOT THE SCHOOL. something is not right down there. nobody talked negatively about any other coaches. I just sat in the van and listened to them remembering what they told my 17 yr old who had another visit scheduled already. "IF YOU CAN NOT MAKE IT DOWN FOR THE FIRST WEEKEND WE ARE MOVING DOWN THE BOARD"...........way toooo much pressure for young kids. just my thoughts.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Patriot League schools are in a situation where they need to find kids that are the perfect mix of need, academic excellence and athletic ability. A school like Georgetown - by far the school that is most hampered by the league's Academic Index - has no choice but to recruit nationally for such athletes. Simply, the pool of athletes is so small locally that there is no way they could get the bulk of their athletes from DC/Maryland.

This is not just a problem at Georgetown. All PL schools are finding themselves recruiting nationally. Lehigh only had one recruit from the Lehigh valley this year, for example. But the upshot is, expecting any PL school to have the bulk of its recruits locally is (IMHO) a thing of the past unless something changes.

LBPop
February 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
This is clearly anecdotal, but I can name three excellent DC area kids who in the past few years were ready to come to Georgetown, but could not get in. In one case, IMO this young man would have started on the offensive line on the first play of his freshman year and he was thoroughly commited to becoming a Hoya. Another of those three ended up going to another PL program.

The good news for Georgetown is that it is an excellent academic institution. The bad news for Georgetown is that it is an excellent academic institution.