PDA

View Full Version : Architect of TxSt FB Success Coaching Again

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
The architect of the most successful season in Texas State - San Marcos football history at the Division I level (yep Larry Teis, I did say Division I level) has been hired as an offensive coordinator for Capital University.

While David Bailiff did coach the 2005 Div I semifinalists from San Marcos, many of the impact players including Barrick Nealy, were brought in by Mataskis, who got in a fair share of trouble as it relates to recruiting practices and the amount of practice time, among other NCAA violations while at the school, that has made the playoffs just once since they've been Division I (sorry Larry, didn't mean for it to slip again...)...

(COLUMBUS, Ohio)-Capital University has announced three additions to its football staff as Manny Matsakis has been named offensive coordinator, while Henry Stanford and Robert White have been named offensive assistant coaches.

"We are excited to fill out our staff with three experienced coaches," commented Capital head coach Jim Bickel. "Each of these three people have been winners at everywhere they have been and they will bring much to our program on and off the field."

Matsakis has been a football coach for 17 years including assistant coaching stints at Kansas State, Hofstra, Wyoming and Texas Tech, while serving as a head coach at Emporia State (Kansas) and Texas State. Matsakis, a native of Shadyside, Ohio, is a 1984 Capital graduate, who as a placekicker holds the school-record for longest field goal in school history at 54 yards and in 1984 was an eighth round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles. Throughout his coaching history, Matsakis has been part of and led high powered innovate offenses. He has been a featured speaker at numerous coaching clinics and workshops.

http://www.capital.edu/17534/

Peems
February 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Nealy is going to coach?:D ;)

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Nealy is going to coach?:D ;)

Nope, but he is where the violations began with Mataskis at then-Southwest Texas State (which a few days later became Texas State - San Marcos)....

Southwest Texas, which will officially become Texas State University-San Marcos on Monday, declared Nealy ineligible last month after Southwest Texas athletic director Greg LaFleur self-reported what he called two secondary violations to the NCAA regarding Nealy's recruitment from Houston.

He told KRIV on Wednesday that those violations were impermissible contact between Bobcat coaches and Nealy and head coach Manny Matsakis making public comments about Nealy before he signed a scholarship with Southwest Texas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1604629

slycat
February 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
xdeadhorsex

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
xdeadhorsex

What???...

This is new information about Mataskis (as it relates to his new position). I know many around the FCS community who have been keeping eyes out, waiting for Mataskis to take a coaching job again...

Slycat, you must also remember that we have a lot of new people who aren't familiar that it took NCAA violations to build about the only success that the Texas State - San Marcos program has ever had at the Division I level, which shows how much trouble they are in when they make the leap...

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Slycat, you must also remember that we have a lot of new people who aren't familiar that it took NCAA violations to build about the only success that the Texas State - San Marcos program has ever had at the Division I level, which shows how much trouble they are in when they make the leap...
News to me and interesting. Keep beating that horse TT.

That loss still stings.

slycat
February 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
What???...

This is new information about Mataskis (as it relates to his new position). I know many around the FCS community who have been keeping eyes out, waiting for Mataskis to take a coaching job again...

i was talking about the violations issue. not his new job. maybe its because ive heard it a million times but im tired of you saying thats the only reason we were good in 2005. yes nealy and evens were big that season but we had a good team all around except the secondary. yes they were violations but not nearly as bad of stuff that bomar was wrapped up in. (which im sure you are tired of hearing about)

slycat
February 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
News to me and interesting. Keep beating that horse TT.

That loss still stings.

one of the few things we can brag about as a program.

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Dude man, I know me and you push and pull back and forth a lot, but you've got to give it up sometimes. It makes you, as a person, look pathetic when you broadcast our dirty laundry from years past, multiple times to a community that could as a whole (I'm sure there are a few exceptions) care less. You've really stepped it up lately, or maybe I've just been paying attention more, but it's sad. Why don't you focus on the positive aspects of the game or your university instead of trying to drag ours through the mud?

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Dude man, I know me and you push and pull back and forth a lot, but you've got to give it up sometimes. It makes you, as a person, look pathetic when you broadcast our dirty laundry from years past, multiple times to a community that could as a whole (I'm sure there are a few exceptions) care less. You've really stepped it up lately, or maybe I've just been paying attention more, but it's sad. Why don't you focus on the positive aspects of the game or your university instead of trying to drag ours through the mud?

I agree Terror. You're being pretty douchebag-ish.

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
...but what else is new?

patssle
February 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Ok, everybody just calm down and take a knee.

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Ok, everybody just calm down and take a knee.

At least your smack has a little humor.

xthumbsupx

BEAR
February 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Heck, I don't want to know who hasn't played who or who cheated who or whatever happened in the past with what coach...All we really have is the next game! I'm looking forward to seeing some football this fall and that's all! I think Tx. St. will have revenge on their mind! xthumbsupx

MaximumBobcat
February 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Heck, I don't want to know who hasn't played who or who cheated who or whatever happened in the past with what coach...All we really have is the next game! I'm looking forward to seeing some football this fall and that's all! I think Tx. St. will have revenge on their mind! xthumbsupx

See the thread I just started on our new DC and Safeties coach...seems like a good hire and I hope he'll have us ready for Nathan's bombs next season. Are the crew from UCAFans going to travel to San Marcos next season? We'd love to have y'all stop by tailgate and throw back a few. xbeerchugx

TXST_CAT
February 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The architect of the most successful season in Texas State - San Marcos football history at the Division I level (yep Larry Teis, I did say Division I level) has been hired as an offensive coordinator for Capital University.

While David Bailiff did coach the 2005 Div I semifinalists from San Marcos, many of the impact players including Barrick Nealy, were brought in by Mataskis, who got in a fair share of trouble as it relates to recruiting practices and the amount of practice time, among other NCAA violations while at the school, that has made the playoffs just once since they've been Division I (sorry Larry, didn't mean for it to slip again...)...

(COLUMBUS, Ohio)-Capital University has announced three additions to its football staff as Manny Matsakis has been named offensive coordinator, while Henry Stanford and Robert White have been named offensive assistant coaches.

"We are excited to fill out our staff with three experienced coaches," commented Capital head coach Jim Bickel. "Each of these three people have been winners at everywhere they have been and they will bring much to our program on and off the field."

Matsakis has been a football coach for 17 years including assistant coaching stints at Kansas State, Hofstra, Wyoming and Texas Tech, while serving as a head coach at Emporia State (Kansas) and Texas State. Matsakis, a native of Shadyside, Ohio, is a 1984 Capital graduate, who as a placekicker holds the school-record for longest field goal in school history at 54 yards and in 1984 was an eighth round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles. Throughout his coaching history, Matsakis has been part of and led high powered innovate offenses. He has been a featured speaker at numerous coaching clinics and workshops.

http://www.capital.edu/17534/

Yea And notice he no longer wears the Maroon and Gold of TXST. SH however, well lets just look at what SAM considers its pride and joy!!

http://www.rhett-bomar.com/

Classy!

Lets look at his Bio.

High school career
Bomar was a three year starter in high school and was coached by his father Jerry Bomar at Grand Prairie High School. He was ranked as the nation's No. 1 quarterback of 2004 by recruiting service Rivals.com and was even compared to former NFL great John Elway. He threw for 1,272 yards (1,163 m) and rushed for 547 yards (500 m) as a senior. Bomar committed to Oklahoma in February 2004.

College career

2004 season
Bomar redshirted his first year at Oklahoma.

2005 season
Bomar became the starter by the second game of the 2005 season. His season started roughly while he adjusted to college football, but his game seemed to improve throughout the season. He was the MVP of the Holiday Bowl when Oklahoma defeated the Oregon Ducks.

2006 season
On August 2, 2006, Bomar was dismissed from the team by OU head coach Bob Stoops. It was reported that he received payments for work not completed from Big Red Sports and Imports, a car dealership owned at that time by a large University of Oklahoma donor, a violation of NCAA rules. A TexAgs poster leaked the information regarding the incident on the school's fansite, however it is unknown if this played a role in the investigation. Senior Paul Thompson began the year as starting QB, backed up by true freshman Sam Bradford and junior college transfer Joey Halzle.

2007 season
It was announced March 19, 2007 that Bomar would enter spring practices as the starting quarterback for the 2007 Bearkats with two years of collegiate eligibility remaining.

“Rhett brings a lot of athleticism to the quarterback position that we haven’t had,” SHSU coach Todd Whitten told the Huntsville Item. “He's going to get a chance to get a lot of reps this spring. We feel like our offense has the chance to make a lot of big plays next year.”

I guess if there was a Head Coach possition at SAM you guys would have hired Manny.