PDA

View Full Version : FURMAN FANS HELP NEEDED

Tubby Raymond
February 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Trying to organize a trip down your way for our meeting in September and I need some information.

How hard are decent tickets to get from your ticket office ?
What section do the visiting fans usually sit in?

How strict are they with the no alcohol on campus policy for football games?

Are there tailgate areas where you are allowed to drink?

Thanks for your help. Planning on coming down and supporting you local economy with 10 other Blue Hens Fans.

Eyes of Old Main
February 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Not to smack Furman too hard, but their visitors side ticket situation can be bad. Last year, I arrived on campus 30 minutes prior to kickoff (later than I meant to, but not bad) and by the time I parked, hiked tothe stadium, bought tickets and got to my seats, there was 9 minutes left in the 2nd Quarter. Based off that, I'd say plan WAY ahead.

FUwolfpacker
February 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Tickets usually aren't hard to get.

Most games, the visitors can get seats b/w the 30's (?) on the visitor side.

Don't know what to tell you on the alcohol thing. Visitors have certainly done it before, but I don't know how strict they are.

No tailgate areas (to my knowledge) where you are allowed to drink. Although, I've seen plenty of visiting fans with alcohol, so you SHOULD be fine.

Glad to hear you guys are coming down. Hopefully you'll have a good time (outside of the football game that is:))

FUwolfpacker
February 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'd say plan WAY ahead.

I guess I thought that's what he was going to be doing. You should always get to the game more than 30 mins before kickoff though man. That's just poor form;) .

PaladinFan
February 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
You'll be fine on tickets. The visitor side is actually a bit bigger than that at most I-AA stadiums I've seen. Usually home and visiting fans sit on opposite sides so you won't have to worry about getting stuck in some corner where you can't watch the game.

Like Wolf said, Furman is a dry campus but people certainly drink (FU and visiting fans alike). Unless you're being a tool and throwing trash on the ground, you'll typically not have a problem.

You can literally park in the shadow of the stadium. Parking is very easy and they are pretty quick on getting people out in order after the game is over.

How many bluehen fans are thinking about making the trip?

Go...gate
February 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Gonna be a fine matchup and well worth seeing in person. Hope CN8 will televise.

phillyAPP
February 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
You'll be fine on tickets. The visitor side is actually a bit bigger than that at most I-AA stadiums I've seen. Usually home and visiting fans sit on opposite sides so you won't have to worry about getting stuck in some corner where you can't watch the game.

Like Wolf said, Furman is a dry campus but people certainly drink (FU and visiting fans alike). Unless you're being a tool and throwing trash on the ground, you'll typically not have a problem.

You can literally park in the shadow of the stadium. Parking is very easy and they are pretty quick on getting people out in order after the game is over.

The biggest issue for you will be the State Police stopping you for going 6 miles an hour over the speed limit. Your DE tags mean money for the fund.

Be very careful speeding from VA to Greenville.

The Hens will enjoy the trip. Furman has nice facilities. It should be a great game.

Tubby Raymond
February 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM

10 in my group, another 10 from the NEZ

Tubby Raymond
February 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The biggest issue for you will be the State Police stopping you for going 6 miles an hour over the speed limit. Your DE tags mean money for the fund.

The Hens will enjoy the trip. Furman has nice facilities. It should be a great game.

We don't drive those kind of distances, the friendly skies is the answerxnodx

ButlerGSU
February 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM
You will have to pour everything into cups and not stray very far from your car/tailgate. The visitor side is usually completely open to visitor fans and the there has always been plenty of parking near the stadium. Of all SoCon schools, Furman is one of the best to visit. You should have a great time.

Eaglegus2
February 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
1st.....take a few minutes to walk around the campus. Nice! Their fans will treat you right. Ask for Stumpy? He is a good person. Watch out for his side kick...Flagman. All jokes aside. Furman has some great fans and their campus is beautiful.

Tailgating area for visitors is located right behind the visitors side. Keep your adult drinks in cups.

I have always enjoyed visiting Furman for a game. No problems what-so-ever.xthumbsupx

pcguy09
February 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
beautiful campus and stadium.. as far as the alcohol thing.. we drank at a friends house nearby then, walked to the PC tailgate where we drank.. but like the gasou fans have said, use cups and you'll be fine.. should be a great game

Eyes of Old Main
February 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I guess I thought that's what he was going to be doing. You should always get to the game more than 30 mins before kickoff though man. That's just poor form;) .

Agreed. But I was running short on time due to work. I won't commit such an aggregious foul next time.

FUwolfpacker
February 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Agreed. But I was running short on time due to work. I won't commit such an aggregious foul next time.

As long as you've learned your lesson, that's all that matters Old Main xnodx ;)

AppState09
February 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
My first experience in Greenville was this past year. Tickets were easy to come by, anywhere on the vistor side was GA. We got there 2 hours before kickoff and practically parked next to the stadium, more so by Timmons (basketball arena).

seantaylor
February 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Good campus. Pretty good tailgating. Did not like the stadium very much.

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Trying to organize a trip down your way for our meeting in September and I need some information.

Thanks for your help. Planning on coming down and supporting you local economy with 10 other Blue Hens Fans.

And do your best to stay downtown. 10 to 15 minute drive to Furman. very few turns. Hyatt, Holiday Inn Express, Westin, Hampton Inn are the best choices all on Main street. 50 to 70 bars an restaurants on Main Street. Falls Park is cool to see.

Make sure you stay in touch as the game gets closer. xthumbsupx

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
http://www.furman.edu/general/campusmap.html

Map in the link above. Football stadium in the lower left.

Do get there early and walk the campus. xthumbsupx

UDBlueLotFan
February 19th, 2008, 05:56 AM
And do your best to stay downtown. 10 to 15 minute drive to Furman. very few turns. Hyatt, Holiday Inn Express, Westin, Hampton Inn are the best choices all on Main street. 50 to 70 bars an restaurants on Main Street. xthumbsupx Falls Park is cool to see.

Make sure you stay in touch as the game gets closer. xthumbsupx

I'm going to rent a plane and fly down with two tailgate bros; 2.5-3hrs compared to around 10hrs to drive. We'll have cooler with steaks and accessories, just need to hook-up with some AGS bros that can help us out with grill; oh yeah, we'll have our flag pole also xbowx Thanks for the hotel info and the all-important bar scene. xnodx

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Has anyone heard a time for this one. Usually the September games are a night, which you will appreciate after spending some Greenville time in the hot September afternoonxnodx

AshevilleApp2
February 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM

South Carolina residents, are you still required to pay your speeding fine at the scene?

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 06:56 AM
South Carolina residents, are you still required to pay your speeding fine at the scene?

I don't think so. I think that is only out of state people that have to pay at the scene cuz they know you folks won't pay otherwise:p xlolx

Silly answer but I think it is only out of state people.

I got a speeding ticket in NC and had to do the same thing. Pay or come on down to the station. No thanks, I'll pay.

furman94
February 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Tickets aren't hard to get...Adult beverages are fine, seeing as we have um at our tailgate! Yeah and our downtown is great! Depending on how long you're staying, you could do a bunch just in downtown! Just walk up to the doughboy statue by the stadium and feel free to join our tailgate!

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Furman would be smart to play this game at 2:00 and let those Mid-Atlantic boys sweat it out like we did to Hofstra in 2005. 93 degrees that day and at each time out every Pride player had their helmet off and were down on a knee.

Take any advantage we can get :)

bodoyle
February 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Come a little further east and visit CCU xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
February 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I don't think so. I think that is only out of state people that have to pay at the scene cuz they know you folks won't pay otherwise:p xlolx

Silly answer but I think it is only out of state people.

I got a speeding ticket in NC and had to do the same thing. Pay or come on down to the station. No thanks, I'll pay.

Wow, where do they do that here?

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, where do they do that here?

It was a while ago. Somewhere above Charlotte I believe. I haven't had a speeding ticket in a while

APPdopted
February 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
we had no trouble last year getting tix, parking(I believe it was free and on campus which is amazing from where I've been), getting good seats, etc. It was a good gameday experience. The stadium is not much bigger than my HS though, but it is a fun southern football experience and on a great campus and area. Definitely check out the downtown scene because it's a good change of pace.

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
we had no trouble last year getting tix, parking(I believe it was free and on campus which is amazing from where I've been), getting good seats, etc. It was a good gameday experience. The stadium is not much bigger than my HS though, but it is a fun southern football experience and on a great campus and area. Definitely check out the downtown scene because it's a good change of pace.

xeyebrowx The stadium seats 16,000 which is certainly not the biggest but far from the smallest in FCS, In fact I don't think it is much smaller than KBS, We just don't have 15,000 students to hang from the raftersxsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
February 19th, 2008, 08:37 AM
xeyebrowx The stadium seats 16,000 which is certainly not the biggest but far from the smallest in FCS, In fact I don't think it is much smaller than KBS, We just don't have 15,000 students to hang from the raftersxsmiley_wix

Or an administration willing to cram people eight rows deep for SRO? :)

GannonFan
February 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Furman would be smart to play this game at 2:00 and let those Mid-Atlantic boys sweat it out like we did to Hofstra in 2005. 93 degrees that day and at each time out every Pride player had their helmet off and were down on a knee.

Take any advantage we can get :)

You do realize it does get pretty warm in the Mid-Atlantic area during the summer? Being over 90 and high humidity is pretty much the norm for most of the summer. I can't couch for how Hofstra was conditioned (it was one of the last years for Gardi and he wasn't a stickler for conditioning) but if UD loses this game, it won't be because of the heat. Delaware's not in Canada. xthumbsupx

APPdopted
February 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Oh yeah I don't doubt it, I wasn't trying to knock ya as being small. It's more of a complimentary thing to compare you to my high school which is where my obsession of the sport began. Obviously you guys are a couple scales larger than us, but ours is one of the bigger stadiums in the state of NC. (Garner High School) More or less reminds me of the layout of some HS stadiums than places I'm used to seeing games..Carter Finley in Raleigh or Death Valley in Clemson. But I don't mean that as a knock at all. We enjoyed our trip there, I love the greenville area(live there now) and we'll probably be back next year for the game!

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 09:09 AM
You do realize it does get pretty warm in the Mid-Atlantic area during the summer? Being over 90 and high humidity is pretty much the norm for most of the summer. I can't couch for how Hofstra was conditioned (it was one of the last years for Gardi and he wasn't a stickler for conditioning) but if UD loses this game, it won't be because of the heat. Delaware's not in Canada. xthumbsupx

I like the night games in September. My conditioning sucks and the Hofstra game damn near killed me and all I did was stand up xlolx

Death Dealer
February 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
When you call for tickets talk to Georgie in the ticket office. She's a doll and will set you up. xthumbsupx

Furman is technically a "dry" campus and you have to purchase a special permit to serve alcohol legally on campus, but when I was there a day never went by that I didn't have at least a fifth of something in the cabinet and a sixer in my mini-fridge. As far as tailgates go, my spot is about 50 feet from the front gate and I generally have a full bar and at least one cooler of beer, and I have never once had a problem. Just keep it in a cup, and don't act like an idiot and you won't be hassled. Last year at the FU/CCU game I carried a sixer over to Catfish's tailgate on the other side of campus and didn't have a problem.

I'd recommend getting there early and setting up my tailgate in the parking lot between the chapel and the stadium, or on the side of the mall closer to the stadium. There is lots of shade there and in September that will be nice. But those spots go fast.

OL is right. Stay downtown. I'd recommend the Westin Poinsett. Try to come down on Friday or even Thursday if you can, so that you can enjoy the area. It is beautiful her in September. As far as restaraunts, I'd recommend Smoke on the Water, The Lazy Goat, Devereux's, Trio's, American Grocery, Blue Ridge Brewery, High Cotton, Soby's, Rick Erwin's West End Grille, and Larkin's On the River. I'd avoid Restaurant O. Connelly's is a great Irish pub. Barley's Tap Room has killer pizza and one of the best beer selections you'll ever see. Wild Wing is exactly what it sounds like, wings and beer.

Falls Park on the Reedy River is a really cool park if you have kids along, and we have a pretty good zoo that only costs $2. Caesar's Head and Table Rock Parks are very close to FU and very nice.

Paladin Stadium is small (16,000). But, the nice thing about that is there is not a bad seat in the house. I've never sat on the visitor side, so I don't know how nice it is, but you will find that we treat our opponents very well over here at Furman. We won't stomp on your pizza, or shove large objects through your car window, or teach your 3 y.o. child any four letter words (Actually happened to me at a GSU game. "Daddy, what does ****** you furple mean?").

PM me when it gets close to game time, I'd love to meet you guys and drink a few cold ones.xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Apparently Hofstra played their first two games at night in Hempstead, starting temps down in the 70s that season. No doubt, in many places across the country it gets hot in the summer. In the deep south, it isn't so much THAT it is hot, it's for how LONG it is hot.

When it heats up in March and stays hot until mid-November the conditioning of some of these SoCon schools is pretty top notch. Football is a warm weather sport though its in the fall.

OL FU
February 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Apparently Hofstra played their first two games at night in Hempstead, starting temps down in the 70s that season. No doubt, in many places across the country it gets hot in the summer. In the deep south, it isn't so much THAT it is hot, it's for how LONG it is hot.

When it heats up in March and stays hot until mid-November the conditioning of some of these SoCon schools is pretty top notch. Football is a warm weather sport though its in the fall.

Ask citdog, Delaware is just a dishonored southern statexsmiley_wix

Go...gate
February 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I like the night games in September. My conditioning sucks and the Hofstra game damn near killed me and all I did was stand up xlolx

I agree. Bending that right arm and making those multiple trips to the keg (or portable bar) in hot weather really can sap your energy. Two-a-days (two tailgates per day) to prepare for the game may be in order. :D :)

BULLDOG8180
February 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM
If it is an afternoon game, make sure to wear a hat and sunglasses. You will be looking into the sun all afternoon!xcoolx

OL FU
February 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM
If it is an afternoon game, make sure to wear a hat and sunglasses. You will be looking into the sun all afternoon!xcoolx

As you should bexnodx xlolx What do you expect the home team to give up our view of the mountainxsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I've never sat on the visitor side, but I have watched a game at Wofford where you are pelted by the sun the entire time. At least the sun eventually goes down behind the stadium :)

thirdgendin
February 20th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Most stadiums in the country are designed to have the sun shine on the side opposite the press box (i.e., shine in the face of the visitors' bench). Fields are traditionally built running north/south so that the sun is either above or off to the side, not shining in a player's face.

In the SoCon, App, Citadel, Furman, GSU, Western and Wofford are all this way. I haven't been to a day game at Elon or Chattanooga to vouch for them, but I imagine it's the same.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Most stadiums in the country are designed to have the sun shine on the side opposite the press box (i.e., shine in the face of the visitors' bench). Fields are traditionally built running north/south so that the sun is either above or off to the side, not shining in a player's face.

In the SoCon, App, Citadel, Furman, GSU, Western and Wofford are all this way. I haven't been to a day game at Elon or Chattanooga to vouch for them, but I imagine it's the same.

at least at the Citadel everyone faces the sun :)

whoanellie
February 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Rhodes Stadium, @ Elon is also a West side home field also our (fast) natural turf loves that southern exposure.

Ud1Hens
February 25th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Count me and 6 UD students in. That will be a great weekend...long, long, long, drive, but a great weekend. Any advice on some good bars, etc.

P.S. You give me some good info and we'll make sure your trip up in '09 is a fun one.

T-Dog
February 25th, 2008, 03:15 AM

I remember watching the first half at Gardner Webb in the sun. Their stadium is so small that it was basically night before it was gone. At least at App there is a mountain to block the sun when it starts to set.

Finlay Stadium is East/West to the sun sets behind the Pavilion when your in the Stadium. According to Google Maps, Visitors at Elon stare into the sun as it sets.

OL FU
February 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Count me and 6 UD students in. That will be a great weekend...long, long, long, drive, but a great weekend. Any advice on some good bars, etc.

P.S. You give me some good info and we'll make sure your trip up in '09 is a fun one.

Well since you are students, I am out of that age rangexbawlingx xsmiley_wix . But as said before, take your pick up and down main street. Younger places, Wild Wings, Corner Pocket. There is a dance place, can't remember the name on North Main.

Music and late nights, Gottrocks(there are many others I just don't know the names), about 3 mile from downtown. Sports bars, Bailey's.

Greenville has really changed over the last ten years. 50+ bars and restaurants, performing arts center, nice convention and event arena, minor league baseball, downtown nature park, museums and libraries and all types of arts and niche type stores from handmade jewelry, hollywood memorabilia to cigars all within about a mile and one-half walking distancexnodx

elcid96
February 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
at least at the Citadel everyone faces the sun :)

After the new home side is completed this year, the sun will be much less of a factor.

UDBlueLotFan
February 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Well since you are students, I am out of that age rangexbawlingx xsmiley_wix . But as said before, take your pick up and down main street. Younger places, Wild Wings, Corner Pocket. There is a dance place, can't remember the name on North Main.

Music and late nights, Gottrocks(there are many others I just don't know the names), about 3 mile from downtown. Sports bars, Bailey's.

Greenville has really changed over the last ten years. 50+ bars and restaurants, performing arts center, nice convention and event arena, minor league baseball, downtown nature park, museums and libraries and all types of arts and niche type stores from handmade jewelry, hollywood memorabilia to cigars all within about a mile and one-half walking distancexnodx

Didn't they add these once App.St. join the conference xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix xlolx

OL FU
February 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Didn't they add these once App.St. join the conference xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix xlolx

Good one. but first you would have to ask how long Boone was a dry countyxsmiley_wix

proasu89
February 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Good one. but first you would have to ask how long Boone was a dry countyxsmiley_wix

Dry by definition onlyxsmiley_wix

OL FU
February 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Dry by definition onlyxsmiley_wix

yes we all are aware that bootlegging is the A in B.A. @ ASU. xsmiley_wix

bluehenbillk
February 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
GannonFan and I and crew will be making the trip, prob arriving in Greenville sometime on Friday.

OL FU
February 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
GannonFan and I and crew will be making the trip, prob arriving in Greenville sometime on Friday.

xthumbsupx Make darn sure you stay in touch as the time nearsxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ericsaid
February 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
How long of a ride is it from Boone to Greenville?

OL FU
February 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
How long of a ride is it from Boone to Greenville?

2.5 to 3 hoursxconfusedx been awhile but that is my vague recollection

ericsaid
February 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM
thanks, I plan on attending if at all possible just to enjoy watching UD lose to another SoCon teamxcoffeex

PaladinFan
February 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
thanks, I plan on attending if at all possible just to enjoy watching UD lose to another SoCon teamxcoffeex

probably around 2 hrs. You can take 321 down and then hit 85 south. I always took the mountain road down to Marion, then 40 to Asheville, then a short hop south to Greenville.

Either way, it's down hill.

AndrewFU21
February 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM

I'm not exactly an expert, but you'll find most of the popular bars along Main street in downtown. A good place to start would be at City Tavern; if you go there, be sure to order a Tiger in the Tank, which is an orange slushy drink with everclear:D . The only real club around is a place called 221 North, also on Main street, but there are a bunch of bars and stuff.

OL FU
February 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I'm not exactly an expert, but you'll find most of the popular bars along Main street in downtown. A good place to start would be at City Tavern; if you go there, be sure to order a Tiger in the Tank, which is an orange slushy drink with everclear:D . The only real club around is a place called 221 North, also on Main street, but there are a bunch of bars and stuff.

That is the one I could not remember the name. xnodx And I have worked dang near accross the street for the last 6 yearsxrolleyesx :D

bluehenbillk
February 26th, 2008, 07:01 AM
xthumbsupx Make darn sure you stay in touch as the time nearsxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Maybe we can co-host a GPI bonfire. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer
February 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM

There's also the infamous Platinum Plus off of 385. I've never been in the place, but I hear good things.xwhistlex :D xsmiley_wix

furman94
February 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Haha! Yeah, I've never been to the big pink box off the highway!

ericsaid
February 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Anyone care to predict a score of this game? With Renaldo Grey gone i dont have any idea Furman has coming in as a quarterback, anyone?

OL FU
February 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Anyone care to predict a score of this game? With Renaldo Grey gone i dont have any idea Furman has coming in as a quarterback, anyone?

http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sorrells_jordan00.html?SPSID=37321&SPID=1781&DB_OEM_ID=4000

furman94
February 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM
His daddy is the Offensive Coordinator! He knows the Offense pretty daggum well! He could be the answer to our prayers! Ingle come again? (Minus the slip at the cursed endzone at Appy!)

ericsaid
February 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sorrells_jordan00.html?SPSID=37321&SPID=1781&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Well Appalachian's secondary better be playing hot by then or this could be dangerous. I could see 30,000 people being at that game which would be great.

furman94
February 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'll be there, if I get AGS App friendlies to give me a personal escort to the stadium. Last time I almost got into a fight, BEFORE THE GAME STARTED!

Anywho

Jordan could be HOT!

ericsaid
February 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah, well with App's (hopefully) much more improved and experienced front 7, this should be a great season for their defense, i had to resort to watching the Furman-App game on t.v. last year. Thought it was going to be another route like the year before in Boone but Fu came back and made it a game.

Scared me. Before that last throw i said outloud, "corey Lynch is going to pick this," and sure enough it happened

furman94
February 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Uh, for expirienced AGSers, is this poster the reincarnation of Alexale?

ericsaid
February 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yes, yes it is, even though i have no idea what you are talking about. But i love Alexale already.

furman94
February 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Haha! You need not know who Alexi is...

SoCon48
February 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Whe she runs, it can be picked up in Columbia as a 1.5 on the Richter scale.

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
One of my friends was actually recruited by Furman and took an offical visit, but as far as i know never was offered a scholorship, thought he was too smal. At 5'11 170 or so to play DB and runs around a 4.5?

Dumbass?

OL FU
February 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
One of my friends was actually recruited by Furman and took an offical visit, but as far as i know never was offered a scholorship, thought he was too smal. At 5'11 170 or so to play DB and runs around a 4.5?

Dumbass?

Well if he was a dumbass that is probably the reason they didn't offerxrolleyesx xlolx

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Touche', but he's smart so it's not that. Played Db in a conference where every team runs the wing-t or some kind of option offense. Kind of hard to show case yourself in that situation.

OL FU
February 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Touche', but he's smart so it's not that. Played Db in a conference where every team runs the wing-t or some kind of option offense. Kind of hard to show case yourself in that situation.

I am sure he was good. I am tired of seeing our 5'11'' DBs chasing 6'5'' receivers though:(

furman94
February 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
^ Amen to that OL FU!

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM
haha, makes sense, but when you see 5'8 Safeties in the NFL a.k.a. Bob Sanders, doing better than the 6'2 safeties. Thats when you learn you can take a chance on smaller guys like that.

OL FU
February 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM
haha, makes sense, but when you see 5'8 Safeties in the NFL a.k.a. Bob Sanders, doing better than the 6'2 safeties. Thats when you learn you can take a chance on smaller guys like that.

I think ( I am not sure ) we have had one safety make it to the NFL. xeyebrowx

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Haha, well maybe with the SoCons increased popularity now among the FCS and even the FBS more and better recruits will come to SoCon schools.

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
considering both of Furman's corners in 2007 were 5'8, I don't think it had anything to do with his size.

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM
No, he told me HE didn't feel like he was big enough. Not the coaches.

Bluehenfan08
February 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Bluehenbillk

I will heading across from the Atlanta area to cheer for the hens!!!!!!!!

OL FU
February 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM
You guys make sure you wear your helmets around town so the Greenvillians will think we are playing Michiganxnodx xsmiley_wix

OL FU
February 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Found this on the UFFP.com. Story on Greenville as part of the Bass Masters Tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=3244659

But Greenville, home to 60,000 residents and once known as the world's textile capital, begs to be explored.

Throughout the Upcountry, as the northern corner of South Carolina is known, there are more than 500 historic sites set against the backdrop of Blue Ridge Mountains and their pristine lakes and forested trails. The performing arts are represented by a slate of plays and concerts, while museums and parks can help occupy any spare time.

Death Dealer
February 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Found this on the UFFP.com. Story on Greenville as part of the Bass Masters Tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=3244659

We've got it going on OL! But I don't have to tell you that do I?

The misses and I are going to Brown Street Jazz Club for dinner tonight. I hear good things about it. Have you been there yet?

OL FU
February 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
We've got it going on OL! But I don't have to tell you that do I?

The misses and I are going to Brown Street Jazz Club for dinner tonight. I hear good things about it. Have you been there yet?

I haven't. I have heard mixed reviews so I will be interested to hear what you think

furman94
February 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
GREAT Restraunt! Cool, cozy atmosphere with great food!
http://www.brownstreetclub.com/
(Pretty cool intro)

OL FU
February 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM
GREAT Restraunt! Cool, cozy atmosphere with great food!
http://www.brownstreetclub.com/
(Pretty cool intro)

Being an old timer I am afraid I would walk into the restaurant and have the strange urge to buy antiquesxeyebrowx xsmiley_wix xlolx

bluehenbillk
February 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Bluehenbillk

I will heading across from the Atlanta area to cheer for the hens!!!!!!!!

Good man.

UDChE89
March 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
As a UD alum and former Greenville resident, I'm trying to see if I can make it down. I lived in Greenville from 1989-1991 working for Fluor Daniel and worked in most of the buildings around town including the Darth Vader/Black Box building on Haywood (lived on Pelham near the interstate). I was there when the Peace Center was built and opened and saw some of the changes. I visited again back in 2000 and couldn't believe the changes so it will be interesting to see more.

Still need a private club membership to get drinks after midnight on Saturday? I remember going to Churchill's Pub a lot when I lived there.

furman94
March 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Glad you're coming back! I recomend going to Sharkeys or Brown Street Club...

Death Dealer
March 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM
As a UD alum and former Greenville resident, I'm trying to see if I can make it down. I lived in Greenville from 1989-1991 working for Fluor Daniel and worked in most of the buildings around town including the Darth Vader/Black Box building on Haywood (lived on Pelham near the interstate). I was there when the Peace Center was built and opened and saw some of the changes. I visited again back in 2000 and couldn't believe the changes so it will be interesting to see more.

Still need a private club membership to get drinks after midnight on Saturday? I remember going to Churchill's Pub a lot when I lived there.

No, no more blue laws in the city limits of Greenville.xthumbsupx

UDChE89
March 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
No, no more blue laws in the city limits of Greenville.xthumbsupx

Hallelujah!! That was a damned pain in the ass coming down from the North.. besides that and ordering a Long Island Ice Tea and getting a carafe of it...

Death Dealer
March 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hallelujah!! That was a damned pain in the ass coming down from the North.. besides that and ordering a Long Island Ice Tea and getting a carafe of it...

Hey, try growing up here and going to college here! No matter how much beer you bought on Saturday, you always ran out on Sunday.xnodx It got to the point that the lady at the convenience store on the other side of the NC border knew us by name!xlolx

OL FU
March 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hey, try growing up here and going to college here! No matter how much beer you bought on Saturday, you always ran out on Sunday.xnodx It got to the point that the lady at the convenience store on the other side of the NC border knew us by name!xlolx

Tryon, "The Friendliest Town in the South"xthumbsupx

UDChE89
March 11th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Boy, I can believe it.. it's amazing how many times I decided to head up for a nice Sunday afternoon in Asheville..

terrierbob
March 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Early Sundays, 2-3am, some buddies and I used to go to a biker clubhouse near Tryon which sold beer for $5.00 a six pack, which was high as hell in the late 70s. It had a black sliding plywood door about 12X20" and a buzzer. They'd always act surprised and irritated.

Don't know if anyone remembers this.

OL FU
March 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Early Sundays, 2-3am, some buddies and I used to go to a biker clubhouse near Tryon which sold beer for $5.00 a six pack, which was high as hell in the late 70s. It had a black sliding plywood door about 12X20" and a buzzer. They'd always act surprised and irritated.

Don't know if anyone remembers this.

I went to a biker bar up there a few times. Probably not the same place. I can't remember the name. There was a very tiny party shop in front of it. I used to by Drummond Brothers beer there.

There used to be a bootlegger that sold beer on Worly road in Gville for about $4 a 6 pack for the times we didn't want to go to a bar.

OL FU
March 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM

By the way, I work in the original Daniel landmark in Greenville. The old 25 story downtown headquarters. I remember when Danial built it. The only other tall buildings in Greenville were 8 storiesxlolx

terrierbob
March 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I went to a biker bar up there a few times. Probably not the same place. I can't remember the name. There was a very tiny party shop in front of it. I used to by Drummond Brothers beer there.

There used to be a bootlegger that sold beer on Worly road in Gville for about $4 a 6 pack for the times we didn't want to go to a bar.

There was an ancient lady in S'burg that sold beer and 1/2 pints of liquor. On Sundays, there would be a line at her little shotgun shack, mostly suburban and college boys, along with your traditional winos. Very scary part of town that was "redeveloped" later. Think she had some voodoo mojo going on, too.

UDChE89
March 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
By the way, I work in the original Daniel landmark in Greenville. The old 25 story downtown headquarters. I remember when Danial built it. The only other tall buildings in Greenville were 8 storiesxlolx

That's probably the ONE building that I didn't work in. I worked in the old JC Penney store across the street from the Woolworth's (which still had the lunch counter then), several building on the Haywood Road campus (including Darth Vader), one on Pelham Road, and one in the Roper Mountain Road area. I got used to keeping my office stuff in a box.

I got laid off in 1991 and went back down for a wedding in 1992. One of my former co-workers asked me where I had been since they hadn't seen me for a while. When I told them that I had been laid off and was living in Lynchburg, VA, they told me that they thought I had just been transferred to another building or was away on assignment.

OL FU
March 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM
That's probably the ONE building that I didn't work in. I worked in the old JC Penney store across the street from the Woolworth's (which still had the lunch counter then), several building on the Haywood Road campus (including Darth Vader), one on Pelham Road, and one in the Roper Mountain Road area. I got used to keeping my office stuff in a box.

I got laid off in 1991 and went back down for a wedding in 1992. One of my former co-workers asked me where I had been since they hadn't seen me for a while. When I told them that I had been laid off and was living in Lynchburg, VA, they told me that they thought I had just been transferred to another building or was away on assignment.

That's funny, not the laid off part. Flour (Daniel) has always been a big around Greenville. Citdog is still trying to determine why a The Citadel graduate like Mr Daniels gave so much money to Furman. Answer is simple, he developed a taste for the finer things after he got olderxthumbsupx

UDChE89
March 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
That's funny, not the laid off part. Flour (Daniel) has always been a big around Greenville. Citdog is still trying to determine why a The Citadel graduate like Mr Daniels gave so much money to Furman. Answer is simple, he developed a taste for the finer things after he got olderxthumbsupx

Yeah, when I was working there it was shortly after the acquisition. You could tell which side people had come from by the way they referred to the company. Most in Greenville still called it Daniel.

Don't worry about laughing at the layoff. It's the way I treated it. It's also happened two more times since then.

OL FU
March 14th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Yeah, when I was working there it was shortly after the acquisition. You could tell which side people had come from by the way they referred to the company. Most in Greenville still called it Daniel.

Don't worry about laughing at the layoff. It's the way I treated it. It's also happened two more times since then.

The ups and downs of the construction businessxnodx

UDChE89
March 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The ups and downs of the construction businessxnodx

Except the other two times weren't consulting.. got out of that gig after the first one...