PDA

View Full Version : TxSt AD: We Do Not Play Div I Football

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Okay, he did not say that, but he did say...

"We are division 1 in everything we play, except football," Texas State Athletic Director Larry Teis said.

Apparently, Larry Teis did not get the memo from the NCAA regarding the subdivisions of football. They've been Div I since before Teis was there.

Sure, there's a few of us that are sticklers on the Div I issue of FBS/FCS...but an athletic director should know better.

Credit: http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/Default.asp?ArID=200480&addvid=49325

Cap'n Cat
February 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM

"We are division 1 in everything we play, except football," Texas State Athletic Director Larry Teis said.

Apparently, Larry Teis did not get the memo from the NCAA regarding the subdivisions of football. They've been Div I since before Teis was there.

Sure, there's a few of us that are sticklers on the Div I issue of FBS/FCS...but an athletic director should know better.

Credit: http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/Default.asp?ArID=200480&addvid=49325

Dope.

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Perhaps LT didn't know and recently read the propaganda put out by the student government there that "taught" him that they didn't play Div I in football...

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Sigh, for the one billionth time, I know you love to pick on people for things like this, but the public does not view I-AA as "true" D-I or whatever they want to call it. TT, Cap'n, most people don't know the nuances (sp?) of ncaa football sub-divisions, so dumbing down to their level is something that you have to do when given the opportunity to provide a soundbite on the local news. He probably could've said something better, but I guess if you fellas want to pick on him...have at it.

BEAR
February 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Doesn't he get one of those AGS awards for that comment? xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
February 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM

You will find that TT is a secret FBS wanabee and deals with this hidden desire by dredging up useless drivel like this....

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
"We are division 1 in everything we play, except football," Texas State Athletic Director Larry Teis said.bonehead xnonono2x

james_lawfirm
February 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Sigh, for the one billionth time, I know you love to pick on people for things like this, but the public does not view I-AA as "true" D-I or whatever they want to call it. TT, Cap'n, most people don't know the nuances (sp?) of ncaa football sub-divisions, so dumbing down to their level is something that you have to do when given the opportunity to provide a soundbite on the local news. He probably could've said something better, but I guess if you fellas want to pick on him...have at it.

What a Maroon! And, for the record, while the public can be forgiven for its ignorance, an AD of an FCS school cannot!

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
What a Maroon! And, for the record, while the public can be forgiven for its ignorance, an AD of an FCS school cannot!

You see though, he's trying to communicate a message to the masses, that's why he said what he said. If he was on AGS I'm sure he would have used the proper nomenclature.

Not everybody in the world knows FCS, FBS, ya know?

They know what is "percieved" DI.

And that perceived DI is NOT the Football Championship Subdivision.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for LT, I really don't like the guy too much, but I understand why he said what he said.

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I agree...

As I've noted, it falls on the ADs and SIDs to do what they can to promote FCS football as Division I football. That's why your seeing many media guides explain it clearly and why most schools are doing what they can via all sorts of avenues of promoting it as such.

Larry Teis is apparently too interested in being an FBS AD and is already talking the talk that those at that "level" do to talk down upon schools at the FCS level...as he's clearly not a true "partner" in promoting the NCAA nomenclature as the rest of the conference.

PantherRob82
February 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM

What an idiot. xnonono2x

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
LOL, sometimes I forget where I'm at.

God bless AGS.

All y'all are completely right, he's an idiot.

Ronbo
February 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Come on you guys. You get all insulted because someone won't put us in the same catagory as the bigs. Even in other sports we have been catagorized as Mid Majors. We are small college.

This is Division I Light football. Get used to it and quit acting like you have little man's disease. xlolx

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM
You see though, he's trying to communicate a message to the masses, that's why he said what he said. If he was on AGS I'm sure he would have used the proper nomenclature.

Not everybody in the world knows FCS, FBS, ya know?

They know what is "percieved" DI.

And that perceived DI is NOT the Football Championship Subdivision.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for LT, I really don't like the guy too much, but I understand why he said what he said.

Doesn't matter if he's trying to communicate to the ignorant masses, he still needs to be called out for perpetuating incorrect perceptions. The only way the ignorant masses will be educated is for folks like us to raise holy hell everytime somebody fricks up, be it on purpose, or otherwise. I still find myself calling Texas State, Southwest Texas, but I'm careful not to in public, even though most people outside of San Marcos still know it as such.

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Doesn't matter if he's trying to communicate to the ignorant masses, he still needs to be called out for perpetuating incorrect perceptions. The only way the ignorant masses will be educated is for folks like us to raise holy hell everytime somebody fricks up, be it on purpose, or otherwise. I still find myself calling Texas State, Southwest Texas, but I'm careful not to in public, even though most people outside of San Marcos still know it as such.

Fair enough.

For my (and my university's) own selfish reasons, I'd rather communicate with the people around us and have them understand, then use "correct nomenclature" in the few seconds they allowed him to speak.

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Come on you guys. You get all insulted because someone won't put us in the same catagory as the bigs... Get used to it and quit acting like you have little man's disease.bonehead light! xlolx jk

"You get all insulted because someone won't put us in the same catagory as the bigs"

Uh, that someone is wrong and he doesn't have an option of putting FCS anywhere. It is Division I no matter what. Too bad you think your program isn't in "the bigs" but ask some kid playing football at Augustana if Montana is bigtime.

Some need to stop being a "big man wannabe" and realize that this is Division I Championship Football.

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM
For my (and my university's) own selfish reasons, I'd rather communicate with the people around us and have them understand, then use "correct nomenclature" in the few seconds they allowed him to speak.Yeah, it sure takes a long time to say Division I Bowl Football instead of Division I Football. xrolleyesx But to say they don't play Division I Football AT ALL, and SAY THEY DO IN EVERY OTHER SPORT is plain dishonest and makes me want to say back... SEEYA, WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA. DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT TOO HARD ON YOUR WAY OUT OF HERE!

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, it sure takes a long time to say Division I Bowl Football instead of Division I Football. xrolleyesx But to say they don't play Division I Football AT ALL, and SAY THEY DO IN EVERY OTHER SPORT is plain dishonest and makes me want to say back... SEEYA, WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA. DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT TOO HARD ON YOUR WAY OUT OF HERE!

Most people don't know what Football Bowl Subdivision is though, they still know I-A. Remember, this broadcast was going out to the city of Austin, they don't even have a FCS team. I agree he could have worded it better, but you guys make such a big deal out of itsy bitsy things it really is rather funny.

Lionsrking
February 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Most people don't know what Football Bowl Subdivision is though, they still know I-A. Remember, this broadcast was going out to the city of Austin, they don't even have a FCS team. I agree he could have worded it better, but you guys make such a big deal out of itsy bitsy things it really is rather funny.

You're right, most people still remember I-A and I-AA, but it's still Division I....that's what the I is I-A and I-AA. Not II, not III, not NAIA...it's division I. For an AD to say they're not Division I when they are is a sign of incompetence.

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Most people don't know what Football Bowl Subdivision is though, they still know I-A. Remember, this broadcast was going out to the city of Austin, they don't even have a FCS team. I agree he could have worded it better, but you guys make such a big deal out of itsy bitsy things it really is rather funny.Yeah, real funny calling his own team not D-I football. Sorry others are uncomfortable with it when you're not.

ngineer
February 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM

THis is exactly what I was talking about elsewhere.When "our own people" can't get it straight, how can we criticize the media and others who listen to them?

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, real funny calling his own team not D-I football. Sorry others are uncomfortable with it when you're not.

What he said wasn't funny. What's funny is how upset you get when he says it.

As I said before, I personally don't take offense at it because I am looking at Texas State's end game. That is moving to FBS.

The rest of y'all can take offense to it all you want. If I were you, I might too.

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
... I personally don't take offense at it because I am looking at Texas State's end game. ... If I were you, I might too.Guess what, you are one of us. You are Division I football no matter what your AD or you say.

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Guess what, you are one of us. You are Division I football no matter what your AD or you say.

I know. And I fully agree that we compete for THE NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. However, TxSt is attempting to educate our local public about us moving to FBS and him saying that we're moving our football to Division I is just plain easier for the average joe to understand then if he would have said "We're moving from Division I FCS to Division I FBS."

He probably could have said "We compete in Division I in all sports and we're moving our football up a (sub) division to I-A" That would have been fine and none of you guys would have been bitching. However, remember he was speaking off the cuff and we only saw seconds of what could have been a several minute long interview.

Appstate29
February 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
from how texas state has played the last two seasons, I tend to agree with their AD, they HAVEN'T been playing division I football.

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
from how texas state has played the last two seasons, I tend to agree with their AD, they HAVEN'T been playing division I football.

that's a burn. last year I try to overlook because we lost our HC to Rice late in the game.

Ronbo
February 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
FCS football is Small College Football. Quit trying to pretend it's anything more. Embrace what it is. No team in FCS will ever be more than a Mid Major even if they go FBS. That includes Montana, Texas State, Georgia Southern or any other FCS school. Montana would be relegated to the WAC with a chance of someday getting to the MWC if we were very successful.

Right now we play schools that get 6000 people at the games. That's small time football. Nothing more. It doesn't matter what letters or numbers you put by it.

slycat
February 18th, 2008, 01:26 AM
i agree that this is making a big deal out of nothing. ask anyone who doesnt post on this board the difference between fcs and fbs. the very strong majority what even know those terms let alone the difference.

he was speaking to the average public that doesnt realize that D1 is split into 2 subdivisions.

we have way more important things to worry about int his world then dumb crap like this.

as much as i love the fcs, its whinny fits about nomenclature like this i wont miss.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 18th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I don't see why this kinda stuff is such a big deal to some people either. I mean big time football is up to your own perspective on things so by all means we should all have our own opinions on it. I like the term 1AA and will continue to use it probably in perpetuity. The guy should probably have made the minor distinction but since they are talking about moving to the next level up from our division I just can't manufacture emotion over such petty things as it does seem like a lot of us have the little man syndrome going on when it comes to this stuff. Our division is not at the top of the food chain when it comes to college football and we all know this to be fact. If this wasn't true then we would not be hootin' about recruits we got over the 1A's that were also recruiting these athletes. We also would not have thought it was a pretty big deal when our division's national champion beat Michigan if there was no difference between us and the big boys. We are watching our teams play Div. 1 football and that is fine with me but it is a great story when one of us little guys goes out and beats one of the 1A's due to the fact that they have 22 more scholarships and should be able to beat us because we are considered the little brothers. There are people that call me by my brother's name all the time and I don't get my feelings hurt about it, I just correct them and move on with the conversation.

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2008, 01:55 AM
...The guy should probably have made the minor distinction but since they are talking about moving to the next level up from our division...Ya think? Since he is athletic director and he seemed not to know his football program (the largest program in his department) played at Division I? Sure, I can see the Texas State fans getting all defensive and of course Ronbo, but really it is indefensible if that is what he said. Moving from FCS to FBS is NOT a divisional move as you state. You go on and continue to not get that FCS is THE SAME DIVISION as FBS. Yes, we have smaller staffs, smaller stadiums, smaller budgets and less scholarships but FCS is still D-I. Geez, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out and did you ever think that the reason the public might be confused is because guys like this perpetuate misinformation? It's not that tough to get that D-I football is split between a championship level and a bowl level. Everyone here gets it. Why can't everyone else? Answer that and you'll get it. BTW, it's written clearly at http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens, the organization we all belong to and participate with.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 18th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Ya think? Since he is athletic director and he seemed not to know his football program (the largest program in his department) played at Division I? Sure, I can see the Texas State fans getting all defensive and of course Ronbo, but really it is indefensible if that is what he said. Moving from FCS to FBS is NOT a divisional move as you state. You go on and continue to not get that FCS is THE SAME DIVISION as FBS. Yes, we have smaller staffs, smaller stadiums, smaller budgets and less scholarships but FCS is still D-I. Geez, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out and did you ever think that the reason the public might be confused is because guys like this perpetuate misinformation? It's not that tough to get that D-I football is split between a championship level and a bowl level. Everyone here gets it. Why can't everyone else? Answer that and you'll get it. BTW, it's written clearly at www.NCAAsports.com.

OK, I think I see what you are saying here. You are saying that using ONE NAME AND STICKING TO THAT NAME IS VERY IMPORTANT AND THAT BY CHANGING THAT NAME IT CHANGES THE SUBSTANCE AND THEY WAY THAT ENTITY WILL BE VIEWED BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC! I appreciate you telling me it doesn't take a genius to figure that out as I am a big fan of irony. We are small college football and I can live with that.

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM
OK, I think I see what you are saying here...I meant no offense to you, just the AD of a school shouldn't say the biggest athletic program of the school doesn't play at the level it actually DOES. That is what this thread is about, not whether we are smaller etc.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I think I realize what's going on...

Teis feels that his program has outgrown Division II football. They keep talking about outgrowing the SLC and everything else. Teis maybe has just come to the realization that Division II football is not where his program should be...

Those LSC battles, even if they can not pull them all out (see Abilene Christian), just are not good enough for the program...

patssle
February 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
A gangster rapper has to rap at the level his listeners have to understand...that's why they use the words biatches and hoes to describe women. You think he's going to use words like "copacetic" or "amative" ?? (got that off Dictionary.com word of the day)

No. An AD is going to use words that the majority of folks understand, which is Division 1 and Division 2. Most people don't know what FBS and FCS is. Most folks arn't all knowning about college football as you folks are. There's a point between being technically correct, and a point where you speak the terms that most folks understand.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
No. An AD is going to use words that the majority of folks understand, which is Division 1 and Division 2. Most people don't know what FBS and FCS is. Most folks arn't all knowning about college football as you folks are. There's a point between being technically correct, and a point where you speak the terms that most folks understand.

Ask SLC Commish Tom Burnett...he won't call anything the SLC plays something other than "DIVISION I". He's the biggest proponent, advocate in this neck of the woods of FCS being referred to as DIVISION I. I really think BW is not too far off the Burnett company line when it comes to this...

LT has always fallen from a different tree...

bluehenbillk
February 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Thanks, and you're right on. The 1-AA police get old after a while.

JohnStOnge
February 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Larry Teis is apparently too interested in being an FBS AD and is already talking the talk that those at that "level" do to talk down upon schools at the FCS level...as he's clearly not a true "partner" in promoting the NCAA nomenclature as the rest of the conference.

There will almost certainly be a fairly substantial salary increase in it for him if he's still around when Texas State goes FBS.

The thing I wonder about is the statement that the value of a Texas State degree will increase as a result of making the program FBS. I wonder if they have any data suggesting support for that assertion.

henfan
February 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, it's a complete overreaction to note an innocent verbal gaffe. I mean why would anyone expect the Southwest Texas State University AD to be especially sensitive to the meaning of simple titles or names? (Guess that irony is lost on Mr. Teis. xlolx)

From his previous comments, I'm left to believe that Teis isn't dumbing down anything at all. Nope, he's really that dumb.

Larry Teis: Divvy Award winner.xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The thing I wonder about is the statement that the value of a Texas State degree will increase as a result of making the program FBS. I wonder if they have any data suggesting support for that assertion.

You have to recall that they said that a name change from Southwest Texas to Texas State University - San Marcos would "increase the value" of a degree as well...

This school loves putting out information that is not at all factual or credible in order to make things seem right...

slycat
February 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
You have to recall that they said that a name change from Southwest Texas to Texas State University - San Marcos would "increase the value" of a degree as well...

This school loves putting out information that is not at all factual or credible in order to make things seem right...

yet it has. theres not actual figures to back it up but he name is much more recognizable and now more people know what school im talking about after the name change. just as we all know football, the biggest sport in texas, will help bring more people to the school. and more people would rather watch fbs football then fcs football.

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
yet it has. theres not actual figures to back it up but he name is much more recognizable and now more people know what school im talking about after the name change. just as we all know football, the biggest sport in texas, will help bring more people to the school. and more people would rather watch fbs football then fcs football.

QFTMFT

UCAMonkey
February 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I remember when I first heard of Texas State football. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

http://www.hboasia.com/images/posters/378x195/necessary_roughness.jpg

I hear that they are flocking in groves to see North Texas, Rice and SMU football. xwhistlex

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Man, I wish we had Sinbad on our team. That'd be rad and just awkwardly funny.

CollegeSportsInfo
February 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Agreed. It's a slap in the face to successful and deserving program like Ohio St., USC and Florida that any of us try to put UMass, Dayton and Duquesne in the same category.

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Agreed. It's a slap in the face to successful and deserving program like Ohio St., USC and Florida that any of us try to put UMass, Dayton and Duquesne in the same category.

I don't think that at all, but I'm not one to say you can't think whatever you want. :)

grizband
February 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Couldn't the same theoretically be said about putting San Diego, Duquense, Drake, etc in the same class with Appalachian State, Montana and Georgia Southern? Not saying I agree, but doesn't that argument exist?

UCAMonkey
February 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Man, I wish we had Sinbad on our team. That'd be rad and just awkwardly funny.

I would be a TSU fan if Kathy Ireland was your kicker. xthumbsupx

http://backin.thedays.com/SPORTS1995001.jpg

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I would be a TSU fan if Kathy Ireland was your kicker. xthumbsupx

http://backin.thedays.com/SPORTS1995001.jpg

I'm sure attendance issues wouldn't be a problem then. :D xlolx xnodx

UCAMonkey
February 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm sure attendance issues wouldn't be a problem then. :D xlolx xnodx

umm......not enough seats? xnonox

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
umm......not enough seats? xnonox

LOL, I'll take a problem like that anyday. xsmiley_wix

TXST_CAT
February 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Here is a sample of what our AD is up against. The following article is about a Player that chose TXSt over several Div I AKA "DivI-A" AKA FBS programs.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/rivas_1472___article.xml/texas_state.html

Situation Resolved
Weslaco's Rivas inks with Texas State
By Jason McDaniel

Feb 6, 2008 9:29 pm

WESLACO — Rumors have swirled. Facts have been questioned. Opinions have been meted out, not all of them positive.

In the end, Mishak Rivas stuck with the school that stood by him from the beginning — Texas State. And with close to 100 well-wishers in attendance on national signing day Wednesday, Rivas made his commitment known with ceremonial flourish inside the Weslaco High gymnasium.

“The monkey’s off my back,” a smiling Rivas said. “I feel real relieved and just blessed to have the opportunity to go next year and play for Texas State.”

Rivas said Texas Tech made a last-ditch effort to land him this week, and Rivas’ father, Kelshall Rivas, said the family wanted him to consider the offer, but the standout tailback who shattered several Rio Grande Valley records this season didn’t waver from his original pledge.

“(Texas Tech) called me (Tuesday) and wanted to know, ‘Hey, would you be interested in walking on, and a scholarship maybe we’ll offer to you later on as the year progresses,’” Rivas said. “It was tempting, but at the same time I knew I wasn’t going to betray the school that I had committed to in the first place.”

Tech was one of several schools, including Texas, Florida, LSU, TCU, Baylor and SMU that showed interest in Rivas, either by offering him partial scholarships or the chance to walk on with scholarship help down the road. And Rivas’ father says he believes if Rivas had accepted one of those offers, he might have landed a scholarship after another commitment backed out or other plans changed.

“I’ve been excited, (but) a little disappointed,” said Kelshall Rivas during a phone interview from Grand Junction, Colo.

Tech and SMU made a last minute run at him also.

For full story follow link

TXST is the fourth largest university in Texas. Texas State University-San Marcos has been named by The Princeton Review as one of the Best Western Colleges for 2008.That honor placed us in elite company. Only three other premier Texas universities received the distinction.

U.S. News & World Report included Texas State among “America’s Best Colleges ” for 2006, 2007 and 2008, ranking us in the top tier of master’s universities in the 15-state Western Region.

Why would a parent be disapointed with his son going off to play DivI football at TXST with one of the best academic programs in the state. Unless he (the father) doesn't view FCS as big time football. That is what we have to deal with. xsmhx

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Come on you guys. You get all insulted because someone won't put us in the same catagory as the bigs. Even in other sports we have been catagorized as Mid Majors. We are small college.

This is Division I Light football. Get used to it and quit acting like you have little man's disease. xlolx

If the AD or president of my school is considering a move to the FBS, I want it be backed by careful research, meticulous planning, and detailed benefit/cost ratio analysis. I would not want it to be motivated by glassy-eyed idealism and gut feelings. How seriously should we take an AD who hasn't even caught up to the people that are still using the old IAA/IA terminology?

A gangster rapper has to rap at the level his listeners have to understand...that's why they use the words biatches and hoes to describe women. You think he's going to use words like "copacetic" or "amative" ?? (got that off Dictionary.com word of the day)

What he could have said was "we play in the highest level of collegiate competition in every sport, with the exception of football". That is a perfectly clear and concise way to put it and it doesn't use any nomenclature that people are not familiar with it. The guy said what he did because he is clueless, and should be ashamed of himself.

TXST_CAT
February 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I think I realize what's going on...

Teis feels that his program has outgrown Division II football. They keep talking about outgrowing the SLC and everything else. Teis maybe has just come to the realization that Division II football is not where his program should be...

Those LSC battles, even if they can not pull them all out (see Abilene Christian), just are not good enough for the program...

TT you are just enjoying this aren't you. You know exactly why he said what he said.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
TT you are just enjoying this aren't you. You know exactly why he said what he said.

Yep -- because he thinks Texas State - San Marcos has outgrown the Southland Conference and Division I football...xlolx

TXST_CAT
February 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Yep -- because he thinks Texas State - San Marcos has outgrown the Southland Conference and Division I football...xlolx

It'll be just a matter of time before SAM starts talking FBS also.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
It'll be just a matter of time before SAM starts talking FBS also.

Oh, it's going to happen -- that won't surprise any of us...

We just got to have a great time picking on you guys in San Marcos. Our AD would never not call FCS anything but Division I. He's one of the big proponents alongside the SLC Commish as it relates to the proper name of the sub-divisions...

UCAMonkey
February 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM

I just hope they schedule UCA as their payout game. xthumbsupx Can TSU afford to pay FCS schools what most FBS programs are paying us to come play?

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I just hope they schedule UCA as their payout game. xthumbsupx Can TSU afford to pay FCS schools what most FBS programs are paying us to come play?

Texas Southern can't afford to pay FCS schools...that's why they have traveled to San Marcos back to back without a return trip...atleast, not one that we know about, planned...

TXST_CAT
February 18th, 2008, 03:02 PM

It's not even writen in stone yet. But I would think we would start out playing mostly money games to get our feet wet and build some revenue.

TXST_CAT
February 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
If the AD or president of my school is considering a move to the FBS, I want it be backed by careful research, meticulous planning, and detailed benefit/cost ratio analysis. I would not want it to be motivated by glassy-eyed idealism and gut feelings. How seriously should we take an AD who hasn't even caught up to the people that are still using the old IAA/IA terminology?

What he could have said was "we play in the highest level of collegiate competition in every sport, with the exception of football". That is a perfectly clear and concise way to put it and it doesn't use any nomenclature that people are not familiar with it. The guy said what he did because he is clueless, and should be ashamed of himself.

I agree, but I also understand when talking to the masses you need to use language the masses will understand. Most in Texas are ignorant to DivI-AA or DivI-A and could care less about "FCS" "FBS". I was having this same problem yesterday. talking to a close friend explaining what TXST was trying to do. As soon as I tried to explain FBS, FCS, DivI-A and DivI-AA his attention went away. Bottom line, unless affiliated with FCS they don't care what it's called it's not Div I to them.

CollegeSportsInfo
February 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Couldn't the same theoretically be said about putting San Diego, Duquense, Drake, etc in the same class with Appalachian State, Montana and Georgia Southern? Not saying I agree, but doesn't that argument exist?
Yes, it can. I'm a UMass fan and happy with the play of our program over the years. And in San Diego, the fans should be happy about the growth and success of their program.

I look at the whole reclassification in a basic way. The program like Ohio St., Texas and Florida are like the NBA. The best of the best battle it out for the highest title. Then you have your programs like App. St, Montana, UMass. They are great in their own right. You could look at them like being emerging programs/markets in the CBA that on a good day can beat the best of the best. But these teams compete at a secondary level and don't compete for the same title as OSU, Texas and florida. Then you have your non-scholly schools...the USBL of out little scenario. They need a miracle to get the chance to make the tournament, but it could and has happened...much like an App St. beating a Michigan.