PDA

View Full Version : Bye Week A Good Thing

WMTribe90
February 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I was reading the playoff expansion thread and thought this deserved a separate thread. I wanted to make a plug for bye weeks. Not only does the bye give the players a chance to rest and heal, thus reducing the risk of greater or further injury, the bye week is important academically. These are still student athletes and its a struggle to keep up with reading and studying in season. With a slightly reduced practice schedule, no immediate opponent to study, and no game, the bye week provides players a chance to get caught up in the class room. Personally, the bye week in the middle of the season was a bigger help academically than athletically.

A better idea is to lengthen the season by one week for the two teams in the championship game at a time when school isn't in session.

Tribe4SF
February 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm in agreement. While I would love to see the Tribe play a 12th game this year, I understand, and support, Laycock's historic view that 11 games is enough. The two bye weeks enjoyed by teams sticking to 11 games this year is definitely good for the players.

McTailGator
February 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I was reading the playoff expansion thread and thought this deserved a separate thread. I wanted to make a plug for bye weeks. Not only does the bye give the players a chance to rest and heal, thus reducing the risk of greater or further injury, the bye week is important academically. These are still student athletes and its a struggle to keep up with reading and studying in season. With a slightly reduced practice schedule, no immediate opponent to study, and no game, the bye week provides players a chance to get caught up in the class room. Personally, the bye week in the middle of the season was a bigger help academically than athletically.

A better idea is to lengthen the season by one week for the two teams in the championship game at a time when school isn't in session.

The players, coaches, and trainers need the bye weeks.

The playoffs or fine the way they are. If we expand the season, it needs to be done for a 12 game season so schools can make some $$$, NOT for more playoff teams.

Syntax Error
February 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm for the byes too. Shame that television is making us muck up the regular season. Fer gawd's sake just let the playoffs go another week (no use arguing against expansion because they've made their mind up on that)!

DFW HOYA
February 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Doesn't do much good in week 12, though.

Hoyadestroya85
February 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm glad we have our bye week after the West Virginia game

MR. CHICKEN
February 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Doesn't do much good in week 12, though.

NOR WEEK 1......2......3......4......xsmhx.......BRAWK!

DTSpider
February 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'd much rather see a bye week than expanded playoffs. If we're expanding the playoffs we need to be like Division 2 and let the games start a week earlier.

mikebigg
February 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Wow...I recall getting blasted and accused of asking for preferential treatment when I suggested that the playoffs begin a week later (bye week) to allow the SWAC to complete it's regular season. Guess the mindset around here has changed.

Tribe4SF
February 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Wow...I recall getting blasted and accused of asking for preferential treatment when I suggested that the playoffs begin a week later (bye week) to allow the SWAC to complete it's regular season. Guess the mindset around here has changed.

Where do you see anyone agreeing with that? Extending the playoffs by a week doesn't mean starting them a week later. In an 18 or 20 team field, the playoffs need to start as they do now, or a week sooner, rather than later.

bluehenbillk
February 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Believe me I understand the "pros" of a bye week, especially from the physical standpoint. From a selfish point of view, I don't like it because we spend so much time (i.e. now) all year ramping up to football season, only to get there & take a weekend off kinda sucks.

I still will go on record saying that pushing the Championship game back to the week after Xmas is a really bad idea. Chatty has been blessed lately with great attendance (obvoiusly ASU has a lot to do with that). Nightmare situations is playing the game on 12/26, that date needs no explanation as to why it's a bad idea. Plus, playing it during ESPN's Bowl Week, just gets it lost in the mix. The game had a lot of national write-up this year in USA Today & such. Put it with the FBS Bowls & it gets about a quarter of that amount.

mikebigg
February 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Where do you see anyone agreeing with that? Extending the playoffs by a week doesn't mean starting them a week later. In an 18 or 20 team field, the playoffs need to start as they do now, or a week sooner, rather than later.

Apparently I misread or miscomprehended. No problem...