PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes Coming for '08

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/02/13/ncaaburst_0213.html?imw=Y

They were recently recommended & are supposed to pass in April, highlights are:

-Play clock to mimic the NFL - 40 seconds running, 25 seconds after dead ball.

-No more 5 yard facemasks, everything is 15.

-Horsecollar tackles are now illegal - 15yd penalty

-No more sideline warnings, flags are thrown, 5yd penalty immediately.

mcveyrl
February 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/02/13/ncaaburst_0213.html?imw=Y

Because I'm too lazy to read the artilce. Does that mean no stoppage after first down?

UNHWildCats
February 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM

To be clear, the change is to eliminate a minor face mask penalty that doesnt effect the play. Before had you grabed a face mask incidently and immedialt y let go it was a 5 yard penalty, it wont be 15 yards now it just wont be flagged.

danefan
February 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Not exactly how i understood it. My understanding was that the new rules would not penalize a player for what used to be called an "incidental facemask". Meaning if a player accidentally graps a facemask and immediatley lets go, then there is no penalty.

danefan
February 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
To be clear, the change is to eliminate a minor face mask penalty that doesnt effect the play. Before had you grabed a face mask incidently and immedialt y let go it was a 5 yard penalty, it wont be 15 yards now it just wont be flagged.

Great minds.......xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
February 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Great minds.......xcoffeex
great minds drink coffee? xeyebrowx

danefan
February 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM
great minds drink coffee? xeyebrowx

At the same time.

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Because I'm too lazy to read the artilce. Does that mean no stoppage after first down?

Yes it does, just like the pros. As soon as the whiste blows to end the play the 40 seconds starts ticking. Spotting the ball & moving the chains becomes irrelevant.

mcveyrl
February 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes it does, just like the pros. As soon as the whiste blows to end the play the 40 seconds starts ticking. Spotting the ball & moving the chains becomes irrelevant.

Not sure what I think about that. Always thought the clock stopping after a first down was a unique twist to college ball that made comebacks a little more exciting.

jonmac
February 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Not sure what I think about that. Always thought the clock stopping after a first down was a unique twist to college ball that made comebacks a little more exciting.

Game clock would still stop, this only affects play clock. Or am I wrong?

mcveyrl
February 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Game clock would still stop, this only affects play clock. Or am I wrong?

I think if you read it literally like BHBK is, the game clock would keep going.

Otherwise, they wouldn't know when to start the game clock since the refs really don't have to worry about anything but spotting the ball.

BTW, I hope the refs realize they need to get their butts in gear now. No more piddling around to set the ball. The time they take is time away from the play.

brownbear
February 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think if you read it literally like BHBK is, the game clock would keep going.

Otherwise, they wouldn't know when to start the game clock since the refs really don't have to worry about anything but spotting the ball.

BTW, I hope the refs realize they need to get their butts in gear now. No more piddling around to set the ball. The time they take is time away from the play.

The game clock temporarily stops when they go out of bounds, and it starts again when the ball is spotted by the ref.

However, the 40-second play clock starts as soon as the play ends, even if the play goes out of bounds.

I wonder when college is going to change it to be like the NFL to keep the game clock running on first downs. This is one of the dumbest rules in the NFL.

mcveyrl
February 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
The game clock temporarily stops when they go out of bounds, and it starts again when the ball is spotted by the ref.

However, the 40-second play clock starts as soon as the play ends, even if the play goes out of bounds.

I wonder when college is going to change it to be like the NFL to keep the game clock running on first downs. This is one of the dumbest rules in the NFL.

That's what we're asking. Does this rule change mean that the clock will continue to run on first downs or stop for the ref to spot the ball?

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
The clock will keep running on 1st downs, the premise of the rules committee was college games are still too long, FBS averaged 3 hours & 21 minutes per game last year. They want it to be closer to the 3-hour mark. They screwed some things up the 1st time they tried it, hopefully this is going to be better.

CharlestonAppFan
February 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM

I don't think we will have to worry about this one too much xsmhx ;)

Uncle Buck
February 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Why the hell are they so bent on shortening games, i thought more football was a good thing?

Also, if the clock will not longer stop after first downs, it'll really irk me. I like that rule as it did make comebacks a little more feasible.

Marcus Garvey
February 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Play clock change: ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! F'ing TV networks shut up! Just allocate an extra 30 minutes if you think the games are running too long. It's not like the ratings of any one single game comes close to matching NFL games.

Horsecollar: Well intended, but I think you're going to see a lot of bad calls on this. Namely, a ref with a bad angle thinks he sees a horsecollar, but it wasn't. Thus a flag get's thrown incorrectly and things get ugly. Besides, was this ever an issue in college?

Sideline warning: Mike Stoops of Arizona is totally f#@%ed!!!

aust42
February 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
The clock will keep running on 1st downs, the premise of the rules committee was college games are still too long, FBS averaged 3 hours & 21 minutes per game last year. They want it to be closer to the 3-hour mark. They screwed some things up the 1st time they tried it, hopefully this is going to be better.

I don't intrepret the proposal as keeping the clock running after a 1st down. They reversed their previous attempt to shorten the game after an outcry from fans and coaches, why in the world are they trying to do the same thing from a different angle?

"The committee proposed starting the game clock on a signal from the referee rather than on the snap of the ball after a runner has gone out of bounds, except in the last two minutes of each half. Another change would adopt a standardized play clock system giving the offensive team 40 seconds to snap the ball, unless play has been stopped by officials for such reasons as change of possession or injury."

UCAMonkey
February 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM

I always found it to be unfair that a RB could throw a stiff arm to the face mask of a defensive player but the defensive player almost always draws a penalty for incidental contact.

jonmac
February 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I still think the article/rule is only talking about play clock. Play clock and game clock are two different clock. Even as the rule is currently, the play clock often starts before the game clock. It seems pretty simple, when the ball is blown dead the play clock will be reset to 40 seconds instead of waiting for the referee to spot it. I think I likey. And I'm not convinced that it will shorten the game. Someone convince me if you can.:)

And I, too, don't think it will affect us at all.

JohnStOnge
February 14th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Not exactly how i understood it. My understanding was that the new rules would not penalize a player for what used to be called an "incidental facemask". Meaning if a player accidentally graps a facemask and immediatley lets go, then there is no penalty.

Immediately makes me wish that would've been the case in 1997! McNeese was leading the I-AA title game 9 - 3 in the 4th quarter and sacked YSU's QB on third down and goal. But the guy who sacked him was called for incidental facemask so YSU got another play. Then on third and goal YSU fumbled and McNeese recovered. But YSU was called for dead ball illegal motion so, even though they lost five yards, they got ANOTHER 3rd down play. On that one they scored and won 10-9.

walliver
February 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I don't intrepret the proposal as keeping the clock running after a 1st down. They reversed their previous attempt to shorten the game after an outcry from fans and coaches, why in the world are they trying to do the same thing from a different angle?

"The committee proposed starting the game clock on a signal from the referee rather than on the snap of the ball after a runner has gone out of bounds, except in the last two minutes of each half. Another change would adopt a standardized play clock system giving the offensive team 40 seconds to snap the ball, unless play has been stopped by officials for such reasons as change of possession or injury."

I've always though this was a good idea. The reasons games are frequently so long now is that after the rules changes in the 70's and 80's designed to stimulate the passing game, many teams went to a spread passing attack with frequent throws to the sidelines. The increase in game length is due more to changes in the style of play than to TV.

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I support the changes, particularly getting rid of the 'horse collar' tackle and the incidental face mask penalty. Another change I hear they're considering is clarifying 'chop blocks' to make enforcement easier.

BEAR
February 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Can we also put the kickoff back on the 35 yard line? That dang 30 yard line kick off has created longer returns which leaves the defense backed up defending from the 40 or so and has ruined good kicking stats for the kickers. I bet James Paul for UCA got 20 touchbacks 2 years ago but only 2 or 3 this past year. xmadx

GOKATS
February 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Can we also put the kickoff back on the 35 yard line? That dang 30 yard line kick off has created longer returns which leaves the defense backed up defending from the 40 or so and has ruined good kicking stats for the kickers. I bet James Paul for UCA got 20 touchbacks 2 years ago but only 2 or 3 this past year. xmadx

Exactly the reason why they moved from the 35 to the 30.xrulesx

BEAR
February 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Exactly the reason why they moved from the 35 to the 30.xrulesx

Not only did that 5 yards hurt the kicking game and the kickers stats, but it also hurt the QBs stats. Instead of driving 70+ yards for a TD, they only move the ball 60 or less. 10 yards doesn't seem like that much for a drive...but then again 5 doesn't seem like that much for a kick off either...but what a difference! xlolx

slycat
February 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM
i like the clock stopping for a first down. not will be interesting to see how these college players get used to picking up the pace and. does this mean their will now be a 2 min warning?

Uncle Buck
February 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Slycat, good call on the two minute warning. If the play clock will not stop on firsts, then hell, add the two minute stoppage. Though i rather not see the first down clock change at all.

GreatAppSt
February 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM
This is total BS!xmadx I wish they would stop messing with the game!!! Maybe motorsports fans should have to settle for an Indy 300 to fit it in 1 1/2 hrs with 30 mins of ad time. To me the game is the game if you want to cover it cover it, if it doesn't fit your time slot tough shiz don't cover it. The end result of this crap will be less plays. Speaking for myself anything that results in less football is not a good thing. I don't look forward to spending more for tickets and getting lessxtwocentsx xnonono2x .

nwFL Griz
February 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM
You guys are reading it wrong. As pointed out before, the change is for the play clock, not the game clock. As a fan, you probably won't notice the change, other than maybe a few more delay of game penalties.

BDKJMU
February 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM

And if they weren't televised, they'd be avg close to 3 hrs per game. 18 min of commercials every hr, much of it holding up the game, is the prime reason the televised games have avged well over 3 hrs.

I bet if you looked at non televised games they would avg about 3 hrs. I bet I-AA, with the overwhelming majority of its games non televised, avg close to 3 hrs.

The networks with their excessive commericials are the PRIME reason that the televised games go closer to 3.5 hrs, yet at the same time they bitch to the NCAA that the games are too long to fit in a 3 hr time slot. xconfusedx Whats the expression they want to have their cake and eat it too. The NCAA should tell the networks they have 2 choices:
-cut down on the commericals that hold up the game and provide a 3 hr time slot
-or if they want to keep the same amount of excessive commercial delays, quit complaining about the game length and continue providing 3.5 hr time slots, which is basically what the networks have been doing the last # of years.

WMTribe90
February 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
And if they weren't televised, they'd be avg close to 3 hrs per game. 18 min of commercials every hr, much of it holding up the game, is the prime reason the televised games have avged well over 3 hrs.

I bet if you looked at non televised games they would avg about 3 hrs. I bet I-AA, with the overwhelming majority of its games non televised, avg close to 3 hrs.

The networks with their excessive commericials are the PRIME reason that the televised games go closer to 3.5 hrs, yet at the same time they bitch to the NCAA that the games are too long to fit in a 3 hr time slot. Whats the expression they want to have their cake and eat it too. The NCAA should tell the networks they have 2 choices:
-or if they want to keep the same amount of excessive commercial delays, quit complaining about the game length and continue providing 3.5 hr time slots, which is basically what the networks have been doing the last # of years.

Amen!

bluehenbillk
February 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM

The networks with their excessive commericials are the PRIME reason that the televised games go closer to 3.5 hrs, yet at the same time they bitch to the NCAA that the games are too long to fit in a 3 hr time slot. xconfusedx Whats the expression they want to have their cake and eat it too. The NCAA should tell the networks they have 2 choices:

Yea, any of that will happen soon. The NFL doesn't even carry that clout. You can have the networks not air commercials & just show the game, it'll just cut the money colleges get from TV by to be conservative, at least 75%. Colleges are like pimps, there's no way their gonna let that money go somewhere else.

BDKJMU
February 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Yea, any of that will happen soon. The NFL doesn't even carry that clout. You can have the networks not air commercials & just show the game, it'll just cut the money colleges get from TV by to be conservative, at least 75%. Colleges are like pimps, there's no way their gonna let that money go somewhere else.

Then the bottom line is the the networks are going to have to continue to provide 3.5 hr time slots.

Their are ways to fit in the same amount of commericals without delaying the games as much. Having more commercials during halftime instead of some of the useless banter- heck have the majority of halftime commericals and more commericals during game stoppage when their isn't any commercials. I always thought the networks delay the game too much with extended TV timeouts compared to the # of commericals they do air due to piss poor commerical placement.

BDKJMU
February 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Then the bottom line is the the networks are going to have to continue to provide 3.5 hr time slots and the NCAA needs to quit trying to come up with ways to shorten the games.

Their are ways to fit in the same amount of commericals without delaying the games as much. Having more commercials during halftime instead of some of the useless banter- heck have the majority of halftime commericals and more commericals during game stoppage when their isn't any commercials. I always thought the networks delay the game too much with extended TV timeouts compared to the # of commericals they do air due to piss poor commerical placement.

Bluehenfan08
February 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
It is not a bad idea to have a 40 second clock. It will not affect us since we go no huddle most of the time.