PDA

View Full Version : UMass vs URI

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Game Time!

Tod
September 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Looking forward to this one. Got a link? Video if available.

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Looking forward to this one. Got a link? Video if available.
you can find the audio link at www.umassathletics.com

Tod
September 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks, 'fan. Good luck to the Minutemen today!

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks, 'fan. Good luck to the Minutemen today!

Thanks we will need it!

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
3-0 URI... had a couple big runs down to the 8 yard line but then lost 2 yards on the next two plays and had to settle for a fg... It will take a couple sets to get use to the offense so I hope we can hold them to fgs.

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM
End of 1

URI 3
UMass 0

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
UMass open the 2nd with a 5 yard td run by Baylark

URI 3
UMass 7

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM
4-goal at the 1 Cobbs runs it in for the TD

URI 3
UMass 14

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Questionable call 4-4 on the 6 yard line and Brown goes for it. Cobbs lost yards and turned it over on downs. At the half:

URI 3
UMass 14

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM
FG URI--14-6 UMass into the 4th.

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Another missed FG by UMass--the new kicker sucks.

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
1:30 left in the game and UMass up 14-6 and driving on the URI 22.

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2005, 07:45 PM
14-6 UMASS WINS !!!!

D-FENCE D-FENCE D-FENCE !!!!!!!!!!!

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:47 PM
UMass wins 14-6.--please ignore umassfan.

URI had 220 total yards--UMass over 400.

UMass has given up one td on defense in four games (Richmond).

Atted 15,300+

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM
UMass wins 14-6--please ignore umassfan.

URI had 249 total yards--UMass over 410.

Atted 15,300+

SunCoastBlueHen
September 24th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I'm not surprised by the outcome, but I am surprised by the low score.

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I'm not suprised by the outcome, but I am suprised by the low score.

UMass missed three FGs and took-a-knee on the URI one yard to run out the clock.

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I'm not suprised by the outcome, but I am suprised by the low score.

UMass missed three FGs and took-a-knee on the URI one yard line to run out the clock.

Tod
September 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM
UMass wins 14-6--please ignore umassfan.

URI had 249 total yards--UMass over 410.

Atted 15,300+

Why ignore umassfan? I didn't see anything that would warrant that. :confused:

Hoo-ah
September 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Why ignore umassfan? I didn't see anything that would warrant that. :confused:

It was joke between us. :rolleyes:

SunCoastBlueHen
September 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
UMass missed three FGs and took-a-knee on the URI one yard line to run out the clock.

Sounds like a solid win by UMASS. Maybe the UMASS D is as good as advertised...

ngineer
September 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not surprised by the outcome, but I am surprised by the low score.
Me too. I had picked UMass 34-28. So the Rams are worthy opponents this year. The A-10 will be interesting..

umassfan
September 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Again our D steps up to the plate and brings home the W. Our offense moved the ball well today but just didnt put alot of points on the board.... we downed it at the 1 to end the game and to end the first half went for it on a 4-4 from the 6 yard line. We also missed some fgs. I believe our fg kicker has some kind of injury and hopefully the week off will do him good. Maybe this will show everyone that our D is for real as are we. Next game I get to see in person vs Northeastern two weeks from now. Great game guys.

Umass74
September 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Just got back to New Hampshire from the game.

Fun time. Over 15,000 and fireworks.

As for the game, the UMass defense was something else. We were MUCH FASTER than the Rhody offense.

They got 76 yards and a field goal on their first series. We held them to 32 total yards for the rest of the half.

They were averaging 495 yds per game. They got 171 yards rushing and 249 yards total (with 76 of those on the first series).

UMass has given up one TD this year :eek:

On the down side, our kicking game sucks.

I'll have game images up on my blog tomorrow.

And fall is here. It was 44 degrees and clear when the game ended at 9:00 pm. Frost tonight in NH !

Maroon&White
September 24th, 2005, 10:57 PM

I blame Day. :)

charliej
September 25th, 2005, 01:01 AM
WOW, on the scoreboard at Franklin Field they had the score reversed... I thought URI won this game till just now. :eek:

saint0917
September 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM

No kidding, But, Cuko did have plenty of leg on those missed FGs, he's just no that accurate.

Brad82
September 25th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Hats off to UMASS. Nice Win. Season not over for Rhody. Don't be surprised if Rhody goes 5-1. It won't be easy,but they kind of have to if they want to make a run.

rcny46
September 25th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Again our D steps up to the plate and brings home the W. Our offense moved the ball well today but just didnt put alot of points on the board.... we downed it at the 1 to end the game and to end the first half went for it on a 4-4 from the 6 yard line. We also missed some fgs. I believe our fg kicker has some kind of injury and hopefully the week off will do him good. Maybe this will show everyone that our D is for real as are we. Next game I get to see in person vs Northeastern two weeks from now. Great game guys.

IMHO,with that defense,and a competent offense that gets the job done,UMass belongs in the top 10 in any 1-AA poll.The northern division of the A-10 should be in your pocket in the end.

RatboyNU
September 25th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I heard this game ended on a bench clearing brawl between Umass and URI was anyone at the field to confirm this?

Umass74
September 25th, 2005, 01:11 PM
No, there was no brawl.

It was a hard hitting physical game. At the end, UMass was at Rhody's one yard line and took a knee twice to end the game.

The players on the field started woofing at each other and the two teams faced off. Nothing happened. The coaches and the officials broke it up and no punches were thrown.

The two teams did not shake hands, however...

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
No, there was no brawl.

It was a hard hitting physical game. At the end, UMass was at Rhody's one yard line and took a knee twice to end the game.

The players on the field started woofing at each other and the two teams faced off. Nothing happened. The coaches and the officials broke it up and no punches were thrown.

The two teams did not shake hands, however...

URI players were prob like their fans... they thought they would go undefeated and were all high n mighty after their win last week vs W&M. It sucks that they had to be poor sports about it.

Umass74
September 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Both teams were woofing.

It was an intense game. No harm no foul. :)

charliej
September 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Nova-Penn game ended under similar circumstances.(it did clear both benches however),I don't think I'd call it poor sportsmanship,just lots of emotion.

Congrats to UMass on the W.

GannonFan
September 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM
URI players were prob like their fans... they thought they would go undefeated and were all high n mighty after their win last week vs W&M. It sucks that they had to be poor sports about it.

The irony of this statement. And you saw all of this happen from your vantage point in Las Vegas? I prefer to listen to the views of those that saw the game and agreed that it was equal opportunity "whoofing".

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
.The northern division of the A-10 should be in your pocket in the end.

right... no need for UNH and Hofstra to waste their time attempting to challenge the migthy minutmen... :rolleyes:

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:15 PM
right... no need for UNH and Hofstra to waste their time attempting to challenge the migthy minutmen... :rolleyes:
I believe he is a UNH fan there chickenman.... geez you make it seem like a UMass fan made that comment...calm down.

Tubby Raymond
September 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM
IMHO,with that defense,and a competent offense that gets the job done,UMass belongs in the top 10 in any 1-AA poll.The northern division of the A-10 should be in your pocket in the end.

UNH will beat them by 3 touchdowns. I got to watch them v Colgate, it was UGLY

Hoo-ah
September 25th, 2005, 05:19 PM

All this "hate" from a couple of UD fans :confused: . What happened to this being a football discussion board ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I believe he is a UNH fan there chickenman.... geez you make it seem like a UMass fan made that comment...calm down.

who cares what kind of fan he is... I don't agree with his comment... :nod:

--EDITED FOR SMACK--

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
who cares what kind of fan he is... I don't agree with his comment... :nod:

--EDITED FOR SMACK--
Why because he didnt say UD would win the North? :rolleyes:

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
All this "hate" from a couple of UD fans :confused: . What happened to this being a football discussion board ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

now you're starting to sound like umassfan... anything that doesn't praise mighty UMass..... is wrong??? I think not.

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM
UNH will beat them by 3 touchdowns. I got to watch them v Colgate, it was UGLY

So you watch one game and you mastered the UMass offense and defense?

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
now you're starting to sound like umassfan... anything that doesn't praise mighty UMass..... is wrong??? I think not.
No pretty much anything that isnt all about Delaware, you have to make some comment about like you just did.

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Why because he didnt say UD would win the North? :rolleyes:

Apparently you're reading comprehension needs improvement... I did post that UD has a long way to go before they are a top 1AA squad... I'm not blind to the facts as are some on here... :rolleyes:

Hoo-ah
September 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Of course not--but you're the one who is sounding like umassfan...Calling a AGS member "dopey" because they have different view--very umassfan like in my view. :(

Should be a great game when UM and UNH play. :D :D :D

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Apparently you're reading comprehension needs improvement... I did post that UD has a long way to go before they are a top 1AA squad... I'm not blind to the facts as are some on here... :rolleyes:

Whos blind to facts? The facts that I see has UMass with the nations best defense... Coen our freshman QB is 19th in the nation in QB eff. Baylark I believe is in the top 25 in rushing... Moore is in the top 15 in receptions per game... we lead the nation in pass eff D... What facts am I blind to? Maybe you are the one blind to the facts that are right infront of your face.

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Of course not--but you're the one who is sounding like umassfan...Calling a AGS member "dopey" because they have different view--very umassfan like in my view. :(

Should be a great game when UM and UNH play. :D :D :D
Im glad there is a theory named after me :D

Hoo-ah
September 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Im glad there is a theory named after me :D

You're already famous (or is that infamous???). :D :D :D You know I still love ya!!!

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM
You're already famous (or is that infamous???). :D :D :D You know I still love ya!!!

Hey my theory is if they are talking about you, then you are important :D

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Whos blind to facts? The facts that I see has UMass with the nations best defense... Coen our freshman QB is 19th in the nation in QB eff. Baylark I believe is in the top 25 in rushing... Moore is in the top 15 in receptions per game... we lead the nation in pass eff D... What facts am I blind to? Maybe you are the one blind to the facts that are right infront of your face.

Please... let's wait awhile until we declare the UMass 'D' to be the reincarnation of Buddy Ryans Chicago Bears. Your first four opponents... Richmond... Colgate... Albany and URI won't be found in many top 25 tomorrow. UD has't played much competition yet either... but then I'm not singing the praises of the Hens just yet. Like UD... the meat of your schedule comes late... JMU... @Maine... UNH... @ UD... @Army and @ Hofstra... don't get carried away... there's along way to go before anyone can claim anything...

Hoo-ah
September 25th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Please... let's wait awhile until we declare the UMass 'D' to be the reincarnation of Buddy Ryans Chicago Bears. Your first four opponents... Richmond... Colgate... Albany and URI won't be found in many top 25 tomorrow. UD has't played much competition yet either... but then I'm not singing the praises of the Hens just yet. Like UD... the meat of your schedule comes late... JMU... @Maine... UNH... @ UD... @Army and @ Hofstra... don't get carried away... there's along way to go before anyone can claim anything...

This UMass fan agrees with you. As we all know--one game at a time in the A-10 (and out of conference too). I'm coming up to the UM/UD game and I can't wait to see another classic. :)

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM
This UMass fan agrees with you.

No... he doesn't... you know he's already dusted off the shelf for the '05 A10 title trophy... :D

Hoo-ah
September 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM
No... he doesn't... you know he's already dusted off the shelf for the '05 A10 title trophy... :D

He lives in Vegas--I don't think he can help himself. You didn't see the trophy picture on his website? ;)

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Im not dusting anything off... All I said at the begining was that he is a UNH fan.... and then you went off into this. We are 2-0 in the A10 and are looking foward to our next game vs Northeastern... that is it... end of story!

89Hen
September 25th, 2005, 06:21 PM
We are 2-0 in the A10 and are looking foward to our next game vs Northeastern... that is it... end of story!
:rolleyes: Yeah that's really the impression you give in every other thread. :rolleyes:

Maroon&White
September 25th, 2005, 06:41 PM
That little "brawl" at the end might have had something to do with URI calling a timeout when UMass kneeled on the ball to run out the clock. They only had to kneel the second time because URI called the TO for no reason at all. I'm sure UD fans will defend URI for doing it, but it was really pointless. Like someone else said, it was nothing but the players getting into each others faces, nothing physical.

Wild McGuirk
September 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM
It doesn't take much to get players in each other's faces during a kneel-down situation at the end of a tough, close game. It probably didn't have much to do with anyone's opinion on who's gonna win the A-10 North and I'm sure all the players and coaches forgot about the second they got in the locker room.
I can't claim to have seen it but the story on something like that usually ends up having a lot more life than the actual thing.
Great to get the W for UMass, every A-10 win is a big one, let's keep it going.

blukeys
September 25th, 2005, 09:33 PM
That little "brawl" at the end might have had something to do with URI calling a timeout when UMass kneeled on the ball to run out the clock. They only had to kneel the second time because URI called the TO for no reason at all. I'm sure UD fans will defend URI for doing it, but it was really pointless. Like someone else said, it was nothing but the players getting into each others faces, nothing physical.

I wasn't there and may be misinformed because I am trying to learn what happened and I only have these posts to figure out what went on. But I seriously doubt that a near brawl began due to an extra timeout being called. In a tough hard hitting game words are exchanged throughout the game and only the threat of a crucial 15 yard penalty being called keeps some player in line. Referees know this and inform the players who appear to be losing it that they are getting dangerously close to costing their team a big penalty. At the end of the game with the issue no longer in doubt this threat is no longer there and some players don't have the ability to control their emotions. All that is needed is a few more words and then things happen. It is not a big deal and a similar situation almost occurred with Penn - Nova. I really don't understand why anyone is trying to assign blame as the situation was handled and both teams left the field without throwing a punch.

As for a UD fan defending URI's right to call a timeout. OK, I'll bite. If they had the timeout the game isn't over until the final tick of the clock. I hope you are not implying that Umass players were justified in starting something out of frustation due to URI calling a timeout? :rolleyes:

My justifcation for URI's timeout goes back to the NY Giants - Eagles game of the late 70's. I was watching TV the day of the notorious Miracle of the Meadowlands when all the Giants had to do was to take another knee. For some unknown reason the OC of the Giants called for a handoff which Giant's QB Joe Pisarchik mishandled and the ball bounced up and into the hands of Herman Edwards who ran the fumble back 70+ yards for the winning TD. Down by only 8 points URI could hope for such a scenario no matter how unlikely. ;)

bkrownd
September 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Who cares about yesterday's jawing, people? Let's start talking about how the Minutemen are going to put the Huskies in the doghouse and dominate the conference this year. :D

Maroon&White
September 25th, 2005, 09:54 PM
As for a UD fan defending URI's right to call a timeout. OK, I'll bite. If they had the timeout the game isn't over until the final tick of the clock. I hope you are not implying that Umass players were justified in starting something out of frustation due to URI calling a timeout? :rolleyes:

Not saying at all that the timeout caused what happened at the end, which was really nothing. I figured a UD fan would be the first to point out how the game isn't over so there is a reason to use that timeout, only reason I mentioned it. I agree that it's not over, but most (most of course) of the time it doesn't matter. UMass could have moved the ball an extra yard and score a TD (hopefully), but they decided to kneel down instead. Despite UMass being a good sport about not scoring an unneccesary TD, URI decides to take the TO for no reason. Just my opinion that it was in bad taste to take the TO after UMass didn't try to get the TD when they were so close.

Like you said though, that probably played either a small part or no part in the words at the end, but in my opinion it was really a stupid play by URI calling the TO. :)

saint0917
September 26th, 2005, 06:37 AM
I hope you are not implying that Umass players were justified in starting something out of frustation due to URI calling a timeout? :rolleyes:

First of all your 100% WRONG, the frustration was on the part of URI, their so called high powered offense did nothing against Umass. With less than a few seconds in the game Coen took the final knee, it was the URI players who piled on top of the Umass players to start the fight (pushing match), so get or facts right before you open your mouth and blame the Umass players. :rolleyes:

Ram Ball
September 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM

PLEASE!!
I can assure you that not a single URI fan at that game (me being one of them) was "high and mighty" and thinking we would go undefeated. I left the game frustrated with Rhody's inability to do much on offense, but gave all the credit in the world to UMASS' D for that happening. I was completely impressed with the minutemen's D, bottom line.

Taking a knee at the goal line was a CLASSY move by Coach Brown. That being said, after URI called a timeout, they had every right to run it up the middle for a TD. I can't explain why Stowers felt the need to call that TO.

As far as the scuffle at the end, I chalked it up to the effects of a very physical game, nothing more, nothing less.

umassfan
September 26th, 2005, 08:43 AM
PLEASE!!
I can assure you that not a single URI fan at that game (me being one of them) was "high and mighty" and thinking we would go undefeated. I left the game frustrated with Rhody's inability to do much on offense, but gave all the credit in the world to UMASS' D for that happening. I was completely impressed with the minutemen's D, bottom line.

Taking a knee at the goal line was a CLASSY move by Coach Brown. That being said, after URI called a timeout, they had every right to run it up the middle for a TD. I can't explain why Stowers felt the need to call that TO.

As far as the scuffle at the end, I chalked it up to the effects of a very physical game, nothing more, nothing less.
I am only going by what I hear(which could be a bad thing) but it could have to do with the fact that when our QB kneeled the ball... he was attacked by URI players for no reason... that on top of the pointless time out.

saint0917
September 26th, 2005, 08:55 AM
but it could have to do with the fact that when our QB kneeled the ball... he was attacked by URI players for no reason... that on top of the pointless time out.

That's about what happen, when Coen Knelt down for the last time, for some reason the URI players thought they could try and sack Coen and plowed through the line, a classless act. Some of the Umass players didn't like that and that's when all the pushing and shoving started.