PDA

View Full Version : YSU/Pitt

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Pitt 34 YSU 0... 7:30 left in the 3rd... :mad:

Chi Panther
September 24th, 2005, 04:17 PM
YSU doesn't like angry Panthers.....

No worries. Lets put on our seat belts and get ready for the Gateway!!!

skinny_uncle
September 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM
The Gateway should be a wide open race this year.
:nod:

FlyYtown
September 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I saw some highlights of this game. They just could not pull a drive together. The D stopped 2 long PIT Drives in the First Half but the Offense looked AWFUL Today.

I can't wait till Saturday.. Illinois State. A team that looks to me as evenly matched with us this year.

Shistang
September 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM
YSU came out completely intimidated today. What an embarrassment to the Valley to go down there and turn in a performance like that. The Coach should take full responsibility for that effort. There is no way Pitt is 41 points better than YSU. We made Palko look like Matt Leinart today. My favorite play today was early in the game with YSU around the Pitt 30 yard line with 4th down and inches. Pitt didn't have anyone lined up over center. Instead of a QB sneak, we throw an incomplete pass to a well covered receiver.

I have to give some credit to Defensive Coordinator Rhoads for Pitt. Fine scouting job.

On many occassions QB Zetts could have taken off and run but he chose not to. I don't know why. Jeff Ryan never had any qualms about trying to hurt the defense with his feet. Also, piss poor tackling by the unmotivated Penguins. Lone bright spots...Chenault, and Hutchison.

I see another tough season of trying to stop the bigger, physical gateway teams. 7-4 and no playoffs again. Hayseed, pack your bags. :bang: :bang:

ISUMatt
September 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Very intriguing matchup next week...

(3-1) Illinois State
@ (3-1) Youngstown St

GannonFan
September 24th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Man, after all the chest thumping for YSU leading up to this game this is a huge dissappointment. It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to get destroyed. Ouch.

Reed Rothchild
September 24th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Man, after all the chest thumping for YSU leading up to this game this is a huge dissappointment. It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to get destroyed. Ouch.

Especially by an unimpressive Dave Wannstedt coached team.

Reed Rothchild
September 24th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Very intriguing matchup next week...

(3-1) Illinois State
@ (3-1) Youngstown St

Illinois State by 17 pts

ISUMatt
September 24th, 2005, 10:41 PM
The Redbirds are coming!!! THE REDBIRDS ARE COMING!!!!!

blukeys
September 24th, 2005, 10:53 PM
This is a bitter pill for all of us in I-AA to swallow. :mad: Many of us emailed that weinie Pittsburgh sports writer who dissed YSU and all of I-AA when this game was first announced last winter. All of us reminded that ne'er do well reporter (i'm sorry I'm repeating myself) of the Furman game and how Pitt had to scramble to pull that game out. Now we have to hold our tongues until another such opportunity arises.

As documented in another thread UD has some additional motivation as Wannstadt has demonstrated with one player that he is a totally classless, mean spirited, and spiteful human being. However, that was not my main basis as I wanted the Pittsburgh sports writer to eat his words.

Wannstadt's total lack of class is probably one of the reasons we landed another quality transfer QB from a I-A team. Still a respectable showing by YSU would have raised the overall positive profile of I-AA. That was a reward worth waiting for. :)

youwouldno
September 24th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Aside from all that, which of course I agree with, this drops YSU in my poll. Pitt is much worse this year than last, and a top 25 I-AA team should have done better.

FlyYtown
September 25th, 2005, 09:56 AM
With all that being said; their D has been as tough as any in the nation lately. If you can hold Nebraska to 7 points; you are doing something right.

I agree the pass on 4th and inches lost the game for the Penguins; if they score their the whole mantality of the game changes.

Big Game this week!

siugrad99
September 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Doubt the entire game would change on that one play since you got shut out 41-0. Any hopes of a playoff bid are on the line for YSU this weekend vs. Illinois State.

Shistang
September 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I thought YSU would put forth a better effort. I think they are better than they showed on Saturday. I blame the coaching staff for not having them ready. Our kids were completely intimidated. That being said, and despite what is being said on this board, Pitt is a good football team. Good enough to be a top 25 team. I think they will come back and win the Big East. Their defense will be the difference the rest of the year.

I remember the days pre- Walt Harris when Jim Tressel tried desperately to schedule Pitt. They wanted no part of the Penguins. JT would routinely out recruit them in the Pittsburgh area. After yesterday, I hope that the Penguins reconsider trying to schedule Ohio State. Sure the money would be nice, but it isn't worth loss of life and limb. Of course, we may have a new leader by the time such a :cool: game would occur.

Paladin1aa
September 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM
We came out of the Pitt game healthy. It was disappointing and we shot ourselves in the foot many times when we had a chance to do something. Dumb penalties when we had them shut down, turn-overs and mental mistakes cost several chances to even the game up in the first half. Down 16-0 to a respectable I-A D in the 1st half wasn't bad. The second half was a different story.

Slammer50111
September 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Pitts D is not that great holding Neb. to 7 points not that big of a deal. Neb. is lucky to score 7 points a game.

Paladin1aa
September 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM
LOL. Nebraska had 25 & 31 points their 1st two games. Pitt SHOULD have beat them. Nebraska will still end up in a BCS Bowl game. :p :p :p

Thank you, Einstein !! :D

OL FU
September 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
From a ranking perspective, I usually don't put a lot of stock in a loss whether it is close or a blow out in a I-A game. One of two things usually happen, the I-AA teams starts highly motivated and plays better than usual the entire game or, at least, most of the game. Or their high spirits get beat down early and the game gets uglier than it would have otherwise been. Add on in this games is Pitt badly needed to a win.

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM
LOL. Nebraska had 25 & 31 points their 1st two games. Pitt SHOULD have beat them. Nebraska will still end up in a BCS Bowl game. :p :p :p

Maine played Nebraska a lot tougher then YSU played Pitt.. so where's Maine end up...??? ;)

Shistang
September 26th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Maine played Nebraska a lot tougher then YSU played Pitt.. so where's Maine end up...??? ;)

I dunno, In the far Northeastern section of the country?

Slammer50111
September 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM

That mighty Nebraska offense that put up 10 points against Wake Forest and 18 against Maine. The defense is scoring almost as many points for Neb. as their offense. 21 points against Wake Forest and 7 against Maine. I would like to know what makes you think they will be in BCS Bowl game they will won't even win the Big XII north.