PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the OVC in 2005?

OSRacer
April 23rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
The slump has been long enough....it is time for an OVC team to make some noise in the playoffs.

Any thoughts on who is gonna win the conference?

I am biased towards the Racers, but am interested in feedback....

Bison_Kent
April 23rd, 2005, 06:12 PM
I personally saw Jacksonville State play Eastern Illinois last year and I think the Gamecocks, even though they lose some players, will again be near the top.

But the league should be very competive, IMO.

Golden Eagle
April 23rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
Should be another competitive, down to the wire season in the OVC. I'd give JSU a slight edge as of now.

Skyhawk
April 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM
It's difficult to pick against Jax St. after what they've done the past two years. I think that Murray State, with the transfers that they have brought in, has the best chance of unseating the Gamecocks.

ISUMatt
April 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM
RIGHT NOW Id say...
1. Jacksonville St
2. Murray St

JSU02
April 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I'd say

1. Jax State
2. EKU
3. Murray/TSU
4. Murray/TSU
5. SEMO/TTU/EIU
6. SEMO/TTU/EIU
7. SEMO/TTU/EIU
8. Samford (sorry guys)
9. UTM

89Hen
April 24th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I really thought Samford was going to be better last year. They returned quite a few key players but they were disappointing. We need to hear if EKU might make some noise this year. Colonel Blitz, what going on this year?

Paladin1aa
April 24th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Jax St.

colonelblitz
April 24th, 2005, 04:31 PM
To many if's ands or but's.. If we get production from our QB position..We go undeafeated in OVC play. Otherwise it will be like the last 2 years. Defense plays well enough to win, but the offense fails to score or move the ball with any consistency, thereby putting even more pressure on the D. It would be hard to pick against JSU, or pick Murray. Transfers are hard to judge. Murray has one advantage, they have EKU,JSU,EIU at home and they don't play TSU. Seems like most teams lost some key players last year, Craft(TTU), Hill, Nelson (Samford) Bonds(JSU), Anthony(TSU) to name a few. Those were big losses to each team. JSU is the only one that ( IMHO) could absorb the loss . The rest could struggle. I think Golden Eagle is right, It will be competitive. My observations from our spring game ( 2650+ in attendence). We go 2 deep at every position on D. Some position 3 and thats no joke. Which means we will be fresh in the 4th. Everything is in place for us, it all depends on the QB, and thats no joke.. Being how its the year of the ROOSTER..haha I'm going with the following.

EKU.. sorry guys, I think we are the only team thats improved enough to beat JSU at JSU
JSU..
Murray
EIU.. depends on their new QB,if not insert TTU
TTU
Semo
TSU..to many key players gone,add to that a new coach
Samford.. Hill, Nelson , big losses
UTM. will win 2 games this year,and it could be TSU and Samford.

Top 3 EKU,JSU, MSU
The next 3. EIU,TTU, SEMO
The last 3 UTM,Samford,TSU

Of course this is all speculation , done in fun. But it gives us something to do until this fall.

GoldenEagle are you planning on coming to Richmond? If so look us up.

Cocky
April 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
JSU
This should be our best team since joining I-AA.

JaxSinfonian
April 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Once again a team or two may step up and take a game from Jax State, but at the end of the season we'll be atop the standings. If EKU or Murray can do well against their non-conference opponents perhaps they'll join us in the postseason.

This should be our best team since joining I-AA.

For what it's worth, Jack Crowe's been saying the same thing since before last season ... "We might be a good football team in 2004, but just wait until 2005," or words to that effect. Is that normal coachspeak?

OSRacer
April 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Hopefully we can compete with JSU this year and with our game at Murray I think we may have a shot....I'll bet that EKU is gonna be much improved as well. I am hoping that whoever wins the conference makes a run in the playoffs - On the national scene, the OVC has a poor reputation (well deserved) over the past few years and it is time for a team to make some noise.

JSU seems to be the prime candidate, but if Murray can get the talent to gel and find a couple of D lineman, watch out.

FL connection
April 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Gotta think the PANTHERS may have something to say about the top of the OVC after two sub par years.....lots of returning, experienced players. connection out!!

OSRacer
April 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
You may be right Fl Connection...EIU has always had a very competitive program and with the QB they have coming in they could be something special.

FL connection
April 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Road still goes through JSU and Alabama.......Can't wait for the trip this year!!! Spotted them 20 last time we were down there before digging ourselves out of the hole to make it a game. One dropped punt away from doing damage last year at home....gotta think we'll get their number soon. connection out!!

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 10:47 AM
What are some of the OOC games for the OVC this year? I'd love to see the conference make some noise.

OL FU
April 26th, 2005, 11:23 AM
What are some of the OOC games for the OVC this year? I'd love to see the conference make some noise.

I only know two. The ones with Furman. September 1 JSU @JSU
September 17 Samford @ Furman

September 1 should be telling for both schools.

OSRacer
April 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Murray has Mississippi State, Illinios State and Indiana State...the first one will be tough but the other 2 should be winnable games, although the Gateway has beat up on the OVC the past few years...

Saluki_man
April 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I know SEMO has the annual rivalry game with SIU (@Cape) and MSU (@Springflied). SEMO will most likely loose both of them.

FL connection
April 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Eiu goes to Ind St.; to BYU and hosts Ill St. in OOC.....connection out!!

Cocky
April 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM
We have UAB, UTC, and the above mentioned Furman. The question mark is UTC and their transfers. The other two are winnable but we will be a large underdog in both.

Golden Eagle
April 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Tech's OOC games are @ Chattanooga (winnable), vs. NAIA Lambuth (hehe), and @ I-A Northern Illinois (any given Saturday).

Skyhawk
April 26th, 2005, 05:28 PM
UT Martin has a balanced non conference schedule.

Central Arkansas
at Arkansas State
at Gardner-Webb

EKUColonel
April 26th, 2005, 07:26 PM
EKU's non conference game are:

Appalachian State
at Western Kentucky
at North Carolina State

Saluki_man
April 26th, 2005, 08:21 PM
EKU's non conference game are:

Appalachian State
at Western Kentucky
at North Carolina State

They may end up 0-3 for those games and need to win the OVC to get into the playoffs.

EKUColonel
April 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I think both Appalachian State and Western Kentucky are winable games. We did lose to both of these teams last year, but we had to switch QBs mid way through the Appalachian State game because our starting QB, Matt Guice, got hurt. We were leading until QB Josh Greco came in. Not that that lose was all his fault, unlike the WKU lose. He threw 7 INTs in that game. So if Greco has improved like Coach Hope says he has, I think we can win both. Appalachian State is the home opener so that will help also. We drew 20,000+ for the home opener last year against WKU. I'm not sure if it will be that much because WKU is our biggest rivals, but it should be a pretty large crowd. And then we have to go to Bowling Green to play WKU, but that's a rivialry game, and we haven't forgotten how they beat us at home last year. Now NC St. is another story. We should get crushed, but as the old saying goes any given saturday. Just a note, Josh Greco did play his best game all season last year against Vanderbilt who is also as you know a IA school.

FL connection
April 29th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Greco is certainly the key for EKU......Glad Giuce is gone!!! EIU has not played well against EKU the last two years(may have something to do with EKU!!!!) and hoping to give you a game this year in Charleston. connection out!

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
They may end up 0-3 for those games and need to win the OVC to get into the playoffs.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why the OVC gets so little respect anymore - their flagship program (at least from a historical standpoint although Jax St is making enough noise now to consider changing that) plays a killer OOC schedule every year and is lucky to win even one of these games each year. EKU's almost always put themselves in the spot of having to win the OVC to make the playoffs with OOC schedule's like these.

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
You're right GF. The other problem is the very fact that they have not been winning those OOC games.

Cocky
April 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Maybe this is one of the reasons why the OVC gets so little respect anymore - their flagship program (at least from a historical standpoint although Jax St is making enough noise now to consider changing that) plays a killer OOC schedule every year and is lucky to win even one of these games each year. EKU's almost always put themselves in the spot of having to win the OVC to make the playoffs with OOC schedule's like these.

With our OOC, we have put ourself in the same boat. Unless we upset Furman or UAB we won't go to the playoffs with 3 losses or more.