PDA

View Full Version : Campus Vote: TxSt-San Marcos to FBS - This Week

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
The vote this week for Texas State University - San Marcos and their student body is this week. Like their fellow system buddies at Lamar, the students in San Marcos will get to vote on increasing the amount of money they give to athletics.

The goal of this vote is to give the institution the money they need to make the transition from FCS to FBS (formerly I-A). The hope is that as the money grows over the next few years, the athletic department can position itself to make the move by having an increased budget, improved facilities and make the necessary enhancements that they feel fit.

One of the benchmarks for their move to the next level is a nationally prominent FCS program -- something their squad outside of a 2005 run comprised of Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans -- has been unable to accomplish in over 20 years of I-AA (now FCS) football. Seems like a "dream" for the program, but this is something they want to set out and achieve in addition to other athletic benchmarks.

There's no question that the vote will pass -- so will they really be able to push Texas State - San Marcos into FBS?

Thoughts?

Link to Associated Student Government Information:
http://www.asg.txstate.edu/D1-Football.html

Link to Previous Thread on ASG Pushing the Vote to Students:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36775

GeauxLions94
February 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Best of luck to them. Looks like all the UT wannabees will finally get their wish though they have the one year of success.

If they want to become the next UL-Lafayette/UL-Monroe and get their heads bashed in on a weekly basis, more power to them. They can wish on hosting any big name school in football, but the students might have to create a new referendum to demand big name schools to come their way. xcoffeex

BEAR
February 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Best of luck to them. Looks like all the UT wannabees will finally get their wish though they have the one year of success.

If they want to become the next UL-Lafayette/UL-Monroe and get their heads bashed in on a weekly basis, more power to them. They can wish on hosting any big name school in football, but the students might have to create a new referendum to demand big name schools to come their way. xcoffeex

Um....they do that now. What do they have to lose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gK00bZKs

slycat
February 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
the more i think about this the more i can see it work. all i ever heard around san marcos was why we dont play fbs football. it does seem like more folks will actually show up to games if this does happen.

of course people think when you move up you get in a good conference and play "real" schools. theyll be in for a shock when we arrive in the sunbelt and play a bunch more schools nobodys heard of.

i would expect a large turnout for the unt games though.

if we got into the wac or cusa which is highly unlikely, then the turnout will be better.

wonder what the fees will be used for if we dont end up moving up? my guess is itll go towards a new baseball and softball stadiums since we cant get donors for those.

the vote will pass for sure but itll be interesting to see where we go in the next few years.

MaximumBobcat
February 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
God, y'all love to talk some trash huh?

Geaux, one of the reasons why the students want this is because they believe this is where the level of the university is at. Our new culture has made it so incoming freshmen have more school pride and they are surprised when they find out we don't play at the highest level of football. There is no more rampant UT envy, so your attempted insult is tired and worn-out. UCABear, yes, you guys whipped us good last year. It just happened that your best asset was passing and our biggest weakness was our secondary. We haven't had the best program historically, but we don't get our heads "bashed in on a weekly basis". To answer your question, what do we have to lose...?

I guess we get to lose our institutional affiliations with such universities as McNeese State and Central Arkansas. Speaking non-athletically, I'll be pleased to see Texas State get out of the SLC. There's plenty of fine schools in the SLC, but personally, I'd like to see us get out of the same breath as other schools like SFA and Nicholls State. Our universities don't seem to be heading in similar directions.

As for next season, I think we (hopefully) fixed our secondary. This will allow our offense to do different things as we won't be playing out of a hole the entire game. Geaux, remember last season our D put us in probably a two score hole immediately when we played you guys last season. But in 06 we came out scoring and our D held you to 17 on your own turf. We graduated some SR DBs that season so our 07 season's secondary was horrrrrible. xbawlingx We've got some good recruits and transfers to hopefully fill their spots. Too bad it is one season too late, because that was just sad last season.

For the OP...TT, yes the referendum will pass. I'm hoping to see about 4000-5000 students vote Yes. I'm guessing maybe 6000 students will vote. Apparently our baseball stadium is inching closer to a start date for construction, but you know how long we've been waiting so we'll have to see on that. It'll be done hopefully sooner than later, and I'm sure it will be up to par with many FBS conference school's baseball facilities. Our men's basketball team is making big strides lately (as I'm sure you're all too aware of) and our women's basketball team is playing as I type, for first place in the conference. With the extra money that this vote will give to the AD, yes, I see this vote helping push Texas State to FBS.

Fresno St. Alum
February 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM
TT, remeber when you were talking about the FBS move ups forming their own conference but the problem was you had non-fb schools leaving an auto-bid conference for the new one that would have to wait 5 years.

Well I found a way it could possibly happen (any conf split or conf adding members would F*** this up big time.)

Southern States Conf.
App St. (if they went to FBS)
Georgia So.
Jacksonville St.
Texas St.
Lamar
UTSA (w/fb)
UTPA (no football)
Houston Baptist (no football)

It gives you the 8 you need for a b-ball auto-bid and then it could add the next 2 FBS move ups in the area to get to 10 and get a crappy bowl game.

slycat
February 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
TT, remeber when you were talking about the FBS move ups forming their own conference but the problem was you had non-fb schools leaving an auto-bid conference for the new one that would have to wait 5 years.

Well I found a way it could possibly happen (any conf split or conf adding members would F*** this up big time.)

Southern States Conf.
Georgia So.
Jacksonville St.
Texas St.
Lamar
UTSA (w/fb)
UTPA (no football)

It gives you the 8 you need for a b-ball auto-bid and then it could add the next 2 FBS move ups in the area to get to 10 and get a crappy bowl game.

well according to TT if texas st, lamar, and utsa move up then shsu will want to as well. so you could add that team to this theory. that leaves one last football school. im sure if a situation like this was presented then another team or two would make an effort to move up.

my question is what kind of costs and mechanisms go into a formation of a new conference?

BEAR
February 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Cat fans,

I was just rattling your cage..xlolx I couldn't imagine UCA going through the same process as Texas State to move to the FBS, so I gotta have a little fun, don't take it personally! I know every team has a down year or two, but it was nice to see our school make ESPN, that's all. Good luck with the move...and please please...don't go to the SunBelch..:pumpuke:

McNeese75
February 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
:D Anybody else notice how this mythical new conference seems to be skipping over a certain state. I guess that is one way to avoid having to play teams from that particular state xlolx xwhistlex

slycat
February 9th, 2008, 09:17 PM
:D Anybody else notice how this mythical new conference seems to be skipping over a certain state. I guess that is one way to avoid having to play teams from that particular state xlolx xwhistlex

i would love for yall to move up. mcneese st is one of my top schools to watch play.

im hoping i can make it out to lake charles this year for the game.

patssle
February 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Because most of the schools in that state are underfunded with poor facilities and perform poorly on the field with most of their teams. Of course there are exceptions...McNeese football..NWST basketball.

Thats just not what we would need in a new conference.

Fresno St. Alum
February 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Of course McNeese St. would be invited, I just thought you were happy in FCS and had no plans of a move to the FBS. I'm sure if all of those left you might re-consider. SHSU & McNeese St. would give them 10. my bet would be if all 8 came up within a couple years of eachother the 2 non-fb schools would be out.

MWC & WAC was a split with a 1 year wait on an auto-bid the last real break up was the Metro/Indy/Sun Belt schools forming the Great Midwest which became C-USA

Fresno St. Alum
February 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Mississippi;)

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Someone brought up the point I continue to bring up -- if Lamar and Texas State - San Marcos go FBS, Sam Houston State will be right with them. There's no question the Board of Regents are big SHSU homers (we control most of the BoR).

If the San Marcos school and the Beaumont institution are clamoring about FBS...the Regents will questions why SHSU has not and force the issue (which may already be being discussed behind closed doors ;))...

Reed Rothchild
February 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
If they move up they'll make as much difference in FBS as North Texas.

slycat
February 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM

which is still more of a difference then we make here.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM
What intrigues me is the fact that these SLC squads are looking at moving into the Sun Belt (as they really have no other choice)...

The SBC schools do not want the SLC schools as these are the same institutions they were trying to get away from...would they really let San Marcos in (or any other SLC school for that matter?)?

Not really sure, unless a high priority was placed on getting to 12 football schools...

Fresno St. Alum
February 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM

N.Texas won 3 Sun Belt football titles in a row in the '00's and went to the NCAA Tourney in b-ball last year. Not bad if you don't mind the New Orleans Bowl.

Next time if you want to use a suck reference go with FIU, ULM, or ULL:D

patssle
February 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
N.Texas won 3 Sun Belt football titles in a row in the '00's and went to the NCAA Tourney in b-ball last year. Not bad if you don't mind the New Orleans Bowl.

Next time if you want to use a suck reference go with FIU, ULM, or ULL:D

So the suck beat the suckier? xlolx

Fresno St. Alum
February 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I think UTSA will be better than the 3 SBC schools I posted. They have a big dome should be able to out recruit the other SLC move ups, FIU and ULs'

BearsCountry
February 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM
ULL never moved if I am correct, I think they have always been at FBS level.

Fresno St. Alum
February 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
you're right, I was just pointing out how they have always sucked.

BearsCountry
February 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I know the Sun Belt gets a bad rap on here, but its improving. Mostly those teams got nailed bc when they were indys they played stupid schedules. Since they have got more teams in the conference, they have played less money games and have gotten smarter scheduling wise.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I know the Sun Belt gets a bad rap on here, but its improving. Mostly those teams got nailed bc when they were indys they played stupid schedules. Since they have got more teams in the conference, they have played less money games and have gotten smarter scheduling wise.

Sun Belt is improving by great leaps and bounds...not just in football, but across the board. I think they are gaining more and more credibility with some of the bigger OOC wins (in MBB and FB) in addition to some higher profile recruits that are beginning to land in the SBC...

The addition of teams for football will do a lot of good for the league as it will help scheduling tremendously. We're already seeing less money games next year (due to the SBC rule requirements to help send the league forward). We must all remember, this is a relatively new league...

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
The vote passes...now heads to the regents for approval...

In a referendum held Feb. 12 and 13, Texas State students voted 4,738 (79.6 percent) to 1,214 (20.4 percent) to authorize the university to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years.

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/genrel/021308aaa.html

slycat
February 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
now things get interesting.

posters at bobcatfans seem to think the new baseball/softball complex construction will start this summer. have heard this a million times but maybe this time its true.

waiting for approval from the board of reagents. that meeting is Feb at Lamar. seems there will be a lot of football talk. i wonder how SHSU will react and follow suit?

McNeese75
February 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Because most of the schools in that state are underfunded with poor facilities and perform poorly on the field with most of their teams. Of course there are exceptions...McNeese football..NWST basketball.

Thats just not what we would need in a new conference.

No problem!! Let the current SLC Texas Schools move right on over to the FBS (notice I said OVER not UP :D ) and we will bring in the Angelo State, Tarlton, etc teams that have been whippin some TX azz the last couple years and improve the overall strength of the league xwhistlex

slycat
February 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
No problem!! Let the current SLC Texas Schools move right on over to the FBS (notice I said OVER not UP :D ) and we will bring in the Angelo State, Tarlton, etc teams that have been whippin some TX azz the last couple years and improve the overall strength of the league xwhistlex

they have been whippin as much azz as texas st.xlolx yall would be better to have ACU move up.

patssle
February 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM

I'm talking about overall athletics, not just football. Overall, the Louisiana schools are terrible.

McNeese75
February 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm talking about overall athletics, not just football. Overall, the Louisiana schools are terrible.

I realize SHSU has been winning the SLC C Cup but enlighten me, how many other athletic teams do you (or other TX Schools for that matter) have that are getting national recognition? (This is a true questions, not smack xnodx )

I'm sorry, I just do not see a huge difference but, I could be wrong :)

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Pat -- the La. schools have done pretty well for football considering the problems they've had with their state that we in Texas would struggle with if we had to deal with. The rest of their athletic departments feel a pinch that we sure do not...

As it relates to SHSU and FBS...if the folks in San Marcos get the "green light" for the move, it will sure be interesting. This will make an "arms race" in the Texas State University System with San Marcos, SHSU and Lamar. Heck, throw UTSA in as if they get football, it really makes things a crapshoot...

Tarleton State, you fellas getting ready for FCS?

Fresno St. Alum
February 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Tarleton St. will need to be ready in 2011 and not 2017 like they were saying on their website

centexguy
February 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I think there is definitely an "arms race" between San Marcos, SHSU and LU, which I think is good for the TSUS. With increasing enrollment happening at all 3 schools and better athletic facilities all around, maybe they can begin to step out of the shadow of the old SWC schools.

McNeese75
February 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think there is definitely an "arms race" between San Marcos, SHSU and LU, which I think is good for the TSUS. With increasing enrollment happening at all 3 schools and better athletic facilities all around, maybe they can begin to step out of the shadow of the old SWC schools.

xlolx I am not sure LU has a gun in that arms race and probably won't for quite a while.

lizrdgizrd
February 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Southern States Conf.
Georgia So.
Jacksonville St.
Texas St.
Lamar
UTSA (w/fb)
UTPA (no football)

Why would App and GSU want to join a conference with mostly Texas schools? That'd be a huge travel budget. xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
More info:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=texas-state-votes-to-pay-for-fbs-move&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The students at Texas State are willing to pay for big-time football.

Texas State students voted overwhelmingly to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision.

Of the 5,952 votes tallied on Tuesday and Wednesday, 4,738 (79.6 percent) were in favor of the increase.

chrisattsu
February 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Pat -- the La. schools have done pretty well for football considering the problems they've had with their state that we in Texas would struggle with if we had to deal with. The rest of their athletic departments feel a pinch that we sure do not...

As it relates to SHSU and FBS...if the folks in San Marcos get the "green light" for the move, it will sure be interesting. This will make an "arms race" in the Texas State University System with San Marcos, SHSU and Lamar. Heck, throw UTSA in as if they get football, it really makes things a crapshoot...

Tarleton State, you fellas getting ready for FCS?

I had a feeling that this referendum was going to turn out in favor of the fee increase. After last night's "mandate", I posted the following question on the LSC forum of D2board ( http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=9323).

The question-- Texas State's students, administration, and AD have basically declared that they want out. UTSA is studying their options. What do you do if you are the SLC commish? When do you start calling about adding new blood to the conference? Who do you start looking at? Mind you that the SLC is Eastern Texas (Nothing west of I-35), Louisiana, and Central Arkansas

On the other side, lets say you are an LSC AD (or the AD for your program). You know that these spots are about to open, how do you start to prepare your program for this? Do you want to move?

The reason that it is listed 10 years down the road is that Tarleton is in a funny place right now. Our President is about the retire (May 2007). They have not named a successor, so nobody is sure how the new president will feel about athletics. Tarleton is in the process of constructing several new buildings and beefing up many of our programs. This may limit the resources that we have available for facility improvements. Something I think the SLC was worried about previously.

Currently our football stadium holds 7000, and our basketball arena holds 3000. I think our fans would like to see the move, they love traveling to D1 schools to watch Tarleton compete. Our football team typically ranks among the top of the LSC schools, and our basketball team has had Six 20-win seasons since 2001.

MaximumBobcat
February 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'd like to see Tarleton or West Texas A&M come into the SLC. They are both perfect fits for FCS and their other sports are definitely DI worthy.

chrisattsu
February 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'd like to see Tarleton or West Texas A&M come into the SLC. They are both perfect fits for FCS and their other sports are definitely DI worthy.

Abilene Christian wouldn't be bad either. Football, baseball, and basketball are always among the top-tier of the conference. Their track and Cross Country programs have won more national championships than ANY other school. Plus they are a private school, so their alumni should have some money.

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Delta State is my top choice -- has been and will continue to be. Would rather the SLC move slightly east at this point.

MaximumBobcat
February 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Delta State is my top choice -- has been and will continue to be. Would rather the SLC move slightly east at this point.

The school is a little small no? Only 4.3k? Will they be able to afford it?

UCAMonkey
February 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The school is a little small no? Only 4.3k? Will they be able to afford it?

I agree. I don't think they will be ready anytime soon.

UCAMonkey
February 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'd like the possibility of Central Oklahoma. Big town, nice facilities. They have to consider D1 eventually. That would give the SLC another good media market.

I don't think they built this beautiful stadium with the intentions to stay D2.

http://www.bronchosports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?ATCLID=225377&SPSID=37871&SPID=3135&DB_OEM_ID=7300&PALBID=2951

MaximumBobcat
February 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I'd like the possibility of Central Oklahoma. Big town, nice facilities. They have to consider D1 eventually. That would give the SLC another good media market.

http://www.bronchosports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?ATCLID=225377&SPSID=37871&SPID=3135&DB_OEM_ID=7300&PALBID=2951

Damn. xbawlingx

centexguy
February 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
xlolx I am not sure LU has a gun in that arms race and probably won't for quite a while.

With about $25M in athletic facility upgrades scheduled for the next 5 years I think they do. Unlike McNeese, Lamar doesn't neglect all their other sports for just one sport. xnonox

slycat
February 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Why would App and GSU want to join a conference with mostly Texas schools? That'd be a huge travel budget. xsmhx

it would be just as spread out as the sunbelt or cusa.

Fresno St. Alum
February 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Want to join? No. Need to if there were no openings in the Sun Belt and were hell bent on going to the FBS with the Texas schools. It has the same spread as the Sun Belt distance wise.

McNeese75
February 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
With about $25M in athletic facility upgrades scheduled for the next 5 years I think they do. Unlike McNeese, Lamar doesn't neglect all their other sports for just one sport. xnonox

xrolleyesx OH really??? enlighten us on the LU powerhouse teams that are so superior to those in Cowboy country

Fresno St. Alum
February 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
McNeese75, If all of the Texas schools go to the FBS will McNeese St. move up with them?

centexguy
February 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM
xrolleyesx OH really??? enlighten us on the LU powerhouse teams that are so superior to those in Cowboy country

Let's see, the Lamar men's golf team is ranked 21st in the latest Golf World/NIKE Division I Coaches' Poll, released by Golf World magazine, Nike Golf and the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA).

In the first regular-season poll of the 2008 season, the Lamar University men's and women's teams were ranked 41st and 61st in the indoor track and field rankings released by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

The men's basketball team is currently 1st in the conference. The women's volleyball team won the conference title. The men's baseball team is consistently a top 100 team.

Do I need to go on?

McNeese75
February 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Let's see, the Lamar men's golf team is ranked 21st in the latest Golf World/NIKE Division I Coaches' Poll, released by Golf World magazine, Nike Golf and the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA).

In the first regular-season poll of the 2008 season, the Lamar University men's and women's teams were ranked 41st and 61st in the indoor track and field rankings released by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

The men's basketball team is currently 1st in the conference. The women's volleyball team won the conference title. The men's baseball team is consistently a top 100 team.

Do I need to go on?

Sure, I'm listening :)

McNeese75
February 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
McNeese75, If all of the Texas schools go to the FBS will McNeese St. move up with them?

My guess is the answer would be NO. But what do I know, heck I never knew we had a National Powerhouse only 50 miles away xrotatehx

GeauxLions94
February 14th, 2008, 11:19 PM
My guess is the answer would be NO. But what do I know, heck I never knew we had a National Powerhouse only 50 miles away xrotatehx

Bummer, that puts you within a hour's drive of two DI powerhouses - Lamar and UL-Lafayette xrotatehx

catdaddy2402
February 15th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Southern States Conf.
Georgia So.
Jacksonville St.
Texas St.
Lamar
UTSA (w/fb)
UTPA (no football)

IMO one of two things is going to happen, and both depend on what comes of the moritorium, and the next BCS contract. I really don't expect there to be many changes to the BCS contract. They will likely ease the criteria a little for non-auto bid teams to get an at-large because frankly it's been a good thing for the BCS. You aren't going to see them add a new autobid conference because none of the non-autobid conferences offer enough top to bottom quality to ensure a quality team every year. If the Mountain West were to do soemthing drastic like add Boise St, Hawaii and Fresno St between now and then that might change....but for that to happen the BCS folks would have to ensure the MWC of that well in advance because it would be forcing the MWC to go back to doing some of the very things that they originally split from the WAC-16 because of...like divisional play.

1. It ends and nothing significant changes on either the transition. In that case I think you are going to see a mass exodus on two fronts....from FCS to FBS and from Div II to Div I and FCS. Because of this I think you are going to see at least one, maybe as many as three new FBS conferences come out of the shakeup. Since there isn't going to be a huge shakeup within the BCS autobid conferences you'll see several of the non-BCS conferences look to tighten up the geography and cut costs to make for a bigger bottom line. IMO this is the most likely scenario.

2. The NCAA puts stricter benchmarks to be met to move from Div II to Div I, and from FCS to FBS. In that case I think you will see a minimal amount of movement from Div II to Div I, and from FCS to FBS. If this does come to pass I think the next step the NCAA looks to take is to set a system of requirements that have to be met to remain in each division/subdivision, or at the very least a system of penalties for not meeting these requirements, including reduction in NCAA $$ shares.

One thing is for sure....it's going to be interesting to see how things shake out.

dbackjon
February 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM
2. The NCAA puts stricter benchmarks to be met to move from Div II to Div I, and from FCS to FBS. In that case I think you will see a minimal amount of movement from Div II to Div I, and from FCS to FBS. If this does come to pass I think the next step the NCAA looks to take is to set a system of requirements that have to be met to remain in each division/subdivision, or at the very least a system of penalties for not meeting these requirements, including reduction in NCAA $$ shares.

One thing is for sure....it's going to be interesting to see how things shake out.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Most of the Big Sky have been quietly adding one or two more women's sports - softball will probably become a core sport in the next couple of years. I believe that the NCAA will up the minimum required sports to be a D-I school.

patssle
February 15th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Sure, I'm listening :)

Their football team is undefeated since the 80s.

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2008, 08:35 AM
it would be just as spread out as the sunbelt or cusa.

Want to join? No. Need to if there were no openings in the Sun Belt and were hell bent on going to the FBS with the Texas schools. It has the same spread as the Sun Belt distance wise.

Why is that an argument for? We'd be better off not going to FBS until/unless there was a reasonable conference affiliation. Just because the Sun Belch and CUSA want to spend all their money traveling doesn't make it a good idea. xsmhx

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Because of this I think you are going to see at least one, maybe as many as three new FBS conferences come out of the shakeup.

Three? Unless 12 team conferences drop down in size, there aren't 24 new schools (minimum conference size=eight) that can meet I-A/FBS facility standards to do so.

McNeese75
February 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Bummer, that puts you within a hour's drive of two DI powerhouses - Lamar and UL-Lafayette xrotatehx

It's a twap, it's a twap xlolx

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM
It's a twap, it's a twap xlolx
http://www.sixmonthsofsolitude.org/images/akbar1.jpg

chrisattsu
February 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM

I have long felt that UCO would be a great addition to the Southland. It would create an FCS market in Oklahoma and increase our footprint to one more state. They already compete in D1 for Ice Hockey and Wrestling.

BUT-- After their recent football shenanigans, I don't see them going anywhere for a while.

Associated Press

EDMOND, Okla. -- An NCAA investigation into allegations that Central Oklahoma paid athletes to attend remedial classes at another school and provided various extra benefits has led the university to self-impose a three-year probation, forfeit scholarships and limit recruiting.

The NCAA says Division II Central Oklahoma paid more than 80 athletes to attend remedial classes at Rose State College in Midwest City, and provided free housing, food, transportation and use of facilities to football players who were not full-time students.-- http://thelscscoop.blogspot.com/2007/11/uco-self-imposed-penalties.html

slycat
February 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Why is that an argument for? We'd be better off not going to FBS until/unless there was a reasonable conference affiliation. Just because the Sun Belch and CUSA want to spend all their money traveling doesn't make it a good idea. xsmhx

never said it was a good idea but its what happens in the lower conferences. now if all these new schools move up then maybe there will be a shakeup and the conferences will become more regional. but i doubt a lot of schools that are currently fbs will allow that big of a shakeup.

catdaddy2402
February 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Three? Unless 12 team conferences drop down in size, there aren't 24 new schools (minimum conference size=eight) that can meet I-A/FBS facility standards to do so.
I thik that's exactly what's going to happen. I see CUSA eventually imploding because of geography, breaking up along their divisional lines, with Tulane being a wildcard. Will they go with the private schools in the West or go with their traditional rivals (USM and Memphis) in the East?
And if the NCAA does nothing to change the criteria for changing divisions/subdivisions you'll likely be surprised at the number of schools that are going to take that as a sign to move up.

Fresno St. Alum
February 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I figure the NCAA will make it a 1+6(exploratory year, provisional years) do move from D-II to D-I after the moratorium instead of the current 1+4. FCS to FBS, I think will stay at 2 years.