PDA

View Full Version : Marist: Offering scholarships... to class of 2012?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Normally I look at articles with mistakes in them all the time. But this one is either making the biggest mistakes of all or else something is really up at Marist:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=east-catholic-de-desautels-opts-for-mari&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

MANCHESTER - An East Catholic education paid off for Jim Desautels.

Clearly, he’s no dummy. Several schools showed interest in the Eagles’ standout defensive end during his senior season. But, when Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., offered him a full Division I ride, it was a no-brainer. The fact that the Red Foxes’ football program and the academics at Marist are perfect for Desautels makes it that much sweeter.

“I was recruited by Sacred Heart, Central and Southern Connecticut, and several Double-A schools,” Desautels said. “But Marist was a perfect fit academically and football wise. Plus, they gave me the most money."

xeyebrowx Say WHAT? And the rest of the article is peppered with other references to the money.

It could be that it's academic aid. But is it?

Remember, now, they are an FCS INDEPENDENT now, and are no longer subject to the restrictions on non-scholarships that they had as members of the MAAC. So nothing would stop them from offering athletic aid...

danefan
February 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Wow, interesting. So long as the administration was willing they could be throwing around as much money as they want (within 63 rides of course).

But, why would they do it privately and not make it public. You would think that recruits would be more willing to consider Marist if they were a "scholarship independent"

Franks Tanks
February 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Normally I look at articles with mistakes in them all the time. But this one is either making the biggest mistakes of all or else something is really up at Marist:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=east-catholic-de-desautels-opts-for-mari&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

MANCHESTER - An East Catholic education paid off for Jim Desautels.

xeyebrowx Say WHAT? And the rest of the article is peppered with other references to the money.

It could be that it's academic aid. But is it?

Remember, now, they are an FCS INDEPENDENT now, and are no longer subject to the restrictions on non-scholarships that they had as members of the MAAC. So nothing would stop them from offering athletic aid...

You know how kids are and how dumb some reporters are. They say I got a full ride all the time. It sounds like they gave him some financial aid or perhaps a partial scholly, but no way does Marist have the money to offer a significant amount of aid to kids.

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
You know how kids are and how dumb some reporters are. They say I got a full ride all the time. It sounds like they gave him some financial aid or perhaps a partial scholly, but no way does Marist have the money to offer a significant amount of aid to kids.

Ha, my thoughts exactly Tanks, if Marist was offering full scholarships they would likely be in the NEC right now. Furthermore, it would take time to implement the idea and they just lost a conference this year. I think Marist would want to join the PL above all else.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Agreed... however, when I read lines from the kid himself saying "Plus, they gave me the most money" that really raises an eyebrow. That's saying that Marist would give him academic aid that wouldn't have been available to him at CCSU or Sacred Heart.

I agree that reading an article like this does raise my BS detector, but I felt there was more here to do further investigation.

Franks Tanks
February 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Agreed... however, when I read lines from the kid himself saying "Plus, they gave me the most money" that really raises an eyebrow. That's saying that Marist would give him academic aid that wouldn't have been available to him at CCSU or Sacred Heart.

I agree that reading an article like this does raise my BS detector, but I felt there was more here to do further investigation.

Defintily--If one thing does seem apparent here is that Marist looks like they are giving a bit more money as they did beat what some other schools were offering this kid. I would be exteremly intersted to learn exactly what they are offering and how much they dished out in aid.

TheValleyRaider
February 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Could this be a sign to the Patriot League? As in: "Hey, we're willing to spend money, but not on scholarships. See, we're just like you."

Makes Marist sound a bit more desperate to join than I think they really are, but it's an interesting interpretation xtwocentsx

Go...gate
February 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Could this be a sign to the Patriot League? As in: "Hey, we're willing to spend money, but not on scholarships. See, we're just like you."

Makes Marist sound a bit more desperate to join than I think they really are, but it's an interesting interpretation xtwocentsx

Good point. I tried to chat this issue up on the Marist board last year and it barely raised a ripple. Basketball is definitely the priority sport in Poughkeepsie.

DetroitFlyer
February 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.chipleybugle.com/localnewsfeb08/laster-jacksonville.aspx

I would not read too much into this Marist thing.... Here is an article that claims a JU recruit received a "full football scholarship". It is possible that he received enough academic and need based aid to cover 100% of his expenses.... A full football scholarship is just easier for the media and regular folk to understand....

Franks Tanks
February 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.chipleybugle.com/localnewsfeb08/laster-jacksonville.aspx

I would not read too much into this Marist thing.... Here is an article that claims a JU recruit received a "full football scholarship". It is possible that he received enough academic and need based aid to cover 100% of his expenses.... A full football scholarship is just easier for the media and regular folk to understand....

That Kids immediate family is larger than the town I grew up in ..wow xlolx