PDA

View Full Version : SC State steals one from App

HIU 93
February 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2008/02/07/sports/scsu/doc47aa67bb2d269841757704.txt

Pough, Bulldogs happy with ‘Super’ signing day
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer | Thursday, February 07, 2008

Wednesday was a “Super” day for South Carolina State head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough -- and not solely for the signing of Shrine Bowl running back Lennel “Superman” Elmore.

While beating out defending two-time Football Championship Subdivision national champion Appalachian State for the “Elite 11” standout was a coup on par with last year’s signing of “Mr. South Carolina Football” quarterback Malcolm Long, Pough was generally pleased with how this 16-member class fills various needs.

APPSTER
February 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM
It's my understanding that Elmore had a family situation that kept him from signing with ASU. Wiley is a good one, but with you guys also signing a 6-3 230 lb QB, he might regret his choice.

That being said, you guys got 2 great athletes (along with some other good looking recruits) which will hopefully allow you to win some playoff games and raise the stature of the MEAC.

neersnbeers
February 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2008/02/07/sports/scsu/doc47aa67bb2d269841757704.txt

Pough, Bulldogs happy with ‘Super’ signing day
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer | Thursday, February 07, 2008

Wednesday was a “Super” day for South Carolina State head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough -- and not solely for the signing of Shrine Bowl running back Lennel “Superman” Elmore.

While beating out defending two-time (correction 3-Time) Football Championship Subdivision national champion Appalachian State for the “Elite 11” standout was a coup on par with last year’s signing of “Mr. South Carolina Football” quarterback Malcolm Long, Pough was generally pleased with how this 16-member class fills various needs.

Sorry just had to fix that

AppIAA
February 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Looks like a good recruit..

Remember the last "Mr. South Carolina" that came to App as a QB?

I think he was the classless one who ran right up the middle against the blue hens defense to score a touchdown in the championship game..

B&G
February 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
My girlfriend went to SCSU so I root for them to do well. The MEAC looks like a crapshoot this year. Hopefully some of these pups will help the Bulldogs take it.

appstate38
February 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
As much as I would like to... We can't get them all.

bosshogg
February 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM
As much as I would like to... We can't get them all.

back in teh day, SCSU used to compete with D-2 schools like benedict for kids...and sometimes lose them....

since pough has been here, our recruiting program has grown exponentially....

that we are even in competition with schools like app state and wofford and furman is a testament to how our prgram has grown...these are all top notch programs.....ones which scsu is trying to be like, as far as playoff bids and championships....

asufan87
February 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Elmore was one we definitely wanted. Congrats to the Bulldogs best wishes to the young man.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Not to be glib here, but it's a little sad when an FCS school makes the big point about their recruiting class how they were able to "steal" a recruit from another FCS school. I realize Appy St is a 3-time champion now, but they are mortal.

APPSTER
February 8th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Not to be glib here, but it's a little sad when an FCS school makes the big point about their recruiting class how they were able to "steal" a recruit from another FCS school. I realize Appy St is a 3-time champion now, but they are mortal.

I don't think its "sad" at all. SC State has a goal of winning the MEAC and competing in the playoffs, not winning the Rose Bowl. If they can lure recruits away from teams that have won the SoCon and have been successful in the playoffs, that's a good indicator that they're making progress toward their goals.

More power to 'em.

Pitbull
February 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Check the first post....Someone from Hampton started this post....

AppMan
February 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM
It's my understanding that Elmore had a family situation that kept him from signing with ASU. Wiley is a good one, but with you guys also signing a 6-3 230 lb QB, he might regret his choice.

That being said, you guys got 2 great athletes (along with some other good looking recruits) which will hopefully allow you to win some playoff games and raise the stature of the MEAC.

According to what I have been told he really wanted to be a Mountaineer, but other circumstances pushed him to SC State. I hope he has a successful career there.

SoCon48
February 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It was told to thousands on the message boards.

DLS
February 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
According to what I have been told he really wanted to be a Mountaineer, but other circumstances pushed him to SC State. I hope he has a successful career there.

i think someone mentioned somewhere that it was a girlfriend issue.

VAGINA: "the great equalizer"

ASU
February 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM
SC State would be a good game for App State.....if each school could work it in.
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6529/avatarasuarmantie3ly7.jpg

Syntax Error
February 11th, 2008, 03:44 AM
According to what I have been told he really wanted to be a Mountaineer, but other circumstances pushed him to SC State. I hope he has a successful career there.http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=south-carolina-state-bags-superman&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Elmore said the deciding factor was distance. He didn’t want to go too far from home, and he views SCSU as a program that is steadily improving.

“App. State only has one way to go and that is down,” he said. “But, South Carolina State’s program is improving and I can help.”