PDA

View Full Version : Furman Signees

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Feb. 6, 2008

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman head football coach Bobby Lamb announced today the signing of 16 recruits to national letters of intent.

The 16 high school seniors who signed with Furman on Wednesday include seven offensive additions and nine defensive performers.

The Paladins' recruiting class features four players from both South Carolina and Georgia, two each from Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, and North Carolina.

Seven of the 16 signees earned first, second, or third team all-state honors, and two recruits from the Carolinas were Shrine Bowl selections.

Among Furman's higher profile additions are 5A all-state wide receiver Matthew Gordon (Birmingham, Ala./Briarwood Christian School), 4A all-state quarterback Dakota Derrick (Conway, S.C./Conway H.S.), 1A all-state tailback Walt Lenard (Atlanta, Ga./Landmark Christian School), 3A all-state cornerback Ryan Steed (Mt. Pleasant, S.C./Pinewood Prep), and a pair of former cross-town rivals, including Shrine Bowl linebacker Chris Wiley (Anderson, S.C./Westside H.S.) and South Carolina's top rated tight end prospect, Phillip Silverstein (Anderson, S.C./T.L. Hanna H.S.).

Gordon, an Alabama Sportswriters Association 5A All-State selection, caught 37 passes for 1,107 yards and 18 touchdowns and also tallied 55 tackles and two interceptions as a safety on a Briarwood Christian School squad that went 14-1 and finished as state runner-up in 2007. He chose Furman over scholarship offers from Mississippi State, Air Force, Duke, and Samford.

Derrick passed for 2,472 yards and 27 touchdowns en route to earning South Carolina High School Sports Report 4A All-State accolades on a 9-3 team in 2007. The 6-foot-5, 200-pound signal caller led his team to a state runner-up finish in 2006 and set school records for career passing yards (4,882) and passing touchdowns (49).

A 2007 Atlanta Journal-Constitution 1A All-State pick, Lenard rushed for 1,318 yards (9.5 ypc) and 16 touchdowns and caught 26 passes for 550 yards and five TDs for Landmark Christian Academy this past fall.

Steed registered 1,275 yards in total offense and 20 touchdown responsibilities as a quarterback at Pinewood Prep, where he garnered all-state honors in both football and basketball.

Wiley landed a prestigious Shrine Bowl invitation after garnering 136 tackles for a Westside squad that notched a 10-3 record last fall. Silverstein, meanwhile, starred at T.L. Hanna and was rated as the state's top tight end and a national Top 100 tight end prospect by ESPN.

Also included in the class are former teammates, cornerback E.J. Vinsang and Tennessee Sportswriters Association All-State safety Nathan Wade, from 2007 Division II 2A state champion Montgomery Bell Academy, which fashioned a perfect 13-0 campaign.

Furman, which opens spring practice on March 3, returns 12 regulars off its 2007 squad, which posted a 6-5 record and 4-3 Southern Conference mark good for a third place league finish.

2008 FURMAN FOOTBALL SIGNEEES

Kenny Beck, DE, 6-4, 233, Salem, Ala. (Smiths Station H.S.)
Matt Blades, OT,6-6, 272, Laurel Hill, N.C. (Richmond County H.S.)
Dakota Derrick, QB, 6-5, 200, Conway, S.C. (Conway H.S.)
Matthew Gordon, WR, 6-1, 191, Birmingham, Ala. (Briarwood Christian School)
Jordan Griffin, CB, 5-10, 162, Fairburn, Ga. (Sandy Creek H.S.)
Walt Lenard, TB, 6-0, 201, Atlanta, Ga. (Landmark Christian School)
Daniel McFadden, WR, 6-2, 178, Daytona Beach, Fla. (Mainland H.S.)
Mitch McGrath, S, 6-2, 178, Longwood, Fla. (Lake Brantley H.S.)
Bryan Poole, DT, 5-11, 278, Marietta, Ga. (Kennesaw Mountain H.S.)
Phillip Silverstein, TE, 6-5, 228, Anderson, S.C. (T.L. Hanna H.S.)
Daniel Spisak, C, 6-1, 250, Charlotte, N.C. (Z.B. Vance H.S.)
Ryan Steed, CB, 5-11, 179, Mt. Pleasant, S.C. (Pinewood Preparatory School)
Tersoo Uhaa, RB/LB, 5-8, 198, Stone Mountain, Ga. (Riverside Military Academy)
E.J. Vinsang, [/B]CB, 5-10, 183, Nashville, Tenn. (Montgomery Bell Academy)
Nathan Wade, S, 6-0, 172, Nashville, Tenn. (Montgomery Bell Academy)
Chris Wiley, LB, 5-10, 191, Anderson, S.C. (Westside H.S.)

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Two neat things already standing out.

Daniel McFadden has a famous cousin who played running back at Arkansas (perhaps you've heard of him).

I like Walt Lenard already. Guy gets offers from Furman and App. Visits both. Then makes the only rational choice :)

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Full writeup....http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020608aac.html

OL FU
February 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
From everything I have heard a very good class. Of course since I don't follow high school I know more about the high profile positions. The 6-5 qb sounds awesome though he probably needs a little more weight. (cool name - Dakota Derrick). Also, Silverstein at tight end seems solid.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM
From everything I have heard a very good class. Of course since I don't follow high school I know more about the high profile positions. The 6-5 qb sounds awesome though he probably needs a little more weight. (cool name - Dakota Derrick). Also, Silverstein at tight end seems solid.

Lenard and Derrick might be the steals of the class. The first team running back for the all state team in Georgia broke the state's rushing touchdown record this season and has already signed with UGA for 2009. When you ALSO make the all state team next to that guy, well, you're a pretty solid back.

nick9c
February 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Lenard, IMO, was a steal. He's only played two years, one as a receiver, and this year as a RB. The Atlanta Journal and Constitution reported that he was a "steal"...overlooked by many BCS schools because he played at a lower level. He should turn out to be a premiere back in the FCS with time.

Silverstein - another highly rated Tight End. With Hedden, Truss, and the RS Freshman Skogen, I can see a lot of 2-TE sets in the future.

fuEMO
February 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Furman went head to head against FBS this recruiting season we lost some… Archie Barnes, Daniel McKayhan, and Jabari Tunai, Maques Quiles. But we won some too.

Matthew Gordon had offers from Duke, Miss St, and a visit offer to Auburn
Ryan Steed had multiple basketball offers, VaTech and football Vandy
Brandon Poole choose Furman over Ole Miss, Army, Air Force
Matt Blades choose Furman over Air Force
Dakota Derrick if this kid had gone to Hargrave we would have lost out on him.

And time will tell but it should be interesting to see Walt Lenard develop and how he contributes for Furman. Walt appears to be the only player that APP and Furman went head to head on, and I'm not sure that he even took the visit to APP.

blueballs
February 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I don't know if any of you Furman folks saw it, but Lenard's mom went on a recruiting blog this morning on the Atlanta Journal Constitution's website and pretty much popped off to a bunch of UGA fans about Furman's graduation rate for black players and how much better Furman was than all the rest of the schools- implying but not actually saying UGA.

I got a kick out of her post but it certainly wasn't the smartest thing she ever did, particularly given the haul Mark Richt got today, and she got smacked around a bit.

On a side note... only 4 in state kids for FU, that's odd. Any comments, Furman fans?

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Well Furman's football graduation rates are extremely impressive, among the top few in D-I. It's a smart thing for the coaching staff to sell to parents. Waving it to UGA fans, not sure what the point of that is-- since when do SEC fans care about graduation rates, except as necessary to avoid NCAA sanctions?

So far as the Paladins' class, I like it. Inside DL is one of the tougher positions to recruit and Bryan Poole is a beast. Lots of upside on the offensive guys... Derrick, Lenard, McFadden, Gordon, Blades, and Silverstein all could be impact guys.

OL FU
February 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I don't know if any of you Furman folks saw it, but Lenard's mom went on a recruiting blog this morning on the Atlanta Journal Constitution's website and pretty much popped off to a bunch of UGA fans about Furman's graduation rate for black players and how much better Furman was than all the rest of the schools- implying but not actually saying UGA.

I got a kick out of her post but it certainly wasn't the smartest thing she ever did, particularly given the haul Mark Richt got today, and she got smacked around a bit.

On a side note... only 4 in state kids for FU, that's odd. Any comments, Furman fans?

I wasn't surprised at that. I was surprised we only had four from GAxnodx

Gotta link for mom's comments?

furman94
February 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Yeah, OL's right. We usually go out of state for recruits, we recruit GA HEAVILY!

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Furman's 2006 and 2007 classes COMBINED had 3 players from SC. So 4 in one class is a lot for us.

FUwolfpacker
February 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
And time will tell but it should be interesting to see Walt Lenard develop and how he contributes for Furman. Walt appears to be the only player that APP and Furman went head to head on, and I'm not sure that he even took the visit to APP.

Lenard didn't visit ASU, but it wasn't because ASU didn't want him to.

As far as the recruits' locations go, the class breakdown is about normal for us. We normally take the majority of our guys from GA and SC. Sprinkle in some players from NC, AL, TN, and FL and you have a pretty typical FU class.

blueballs
February 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I wasn't surprised at that. I was surprised we only had four from GAxnodx

Gotta link for mom's comments?

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2008/02/06/signing_day_cen.html

proasu89
February 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Dadgum if we didn't drug into that mess in the middle of an off topic UGA/UF pissing contest. UGA guy pointing out that UF lost to UM which lost to little ol App St. xrotatehx

OL FU
February 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2008/02/06/signing_day_cen.html

thanks

ashram
February 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Her comments probably were a little out of place there, but it's not like she's incorrect.

It's funny how the guy on there called "I TOLD YOU SO" says that no one coming out of Furman will ever be considered for the NFL draft.

It's also funny how none of those Georgia commenters remember that Furman is the only FCS school that has ever beaten Georgia Tech.

I'm very happy with our recruiting class all around. Can't wait to see what these guys can do.

OL FU
February 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM

didn't read much of it. I am glad she considers FU's grad rate important ( I do too), and even though Georgia's (and Georgiaxsmiley_wix ) sucks hopefully she will learn to pat herself and her son on the back in a more meaningful way than to create message board fodderxnodx

So was your other comment about UGA's lack of signees. I don't pay attention to UGA but one of the headlines seemed to hint at signing day problems

OL FU
February 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
My favorite post on the blog, who knows who COACH is but it sounds good.

By COACH

February 6, 2008 11:53 AM | Link to this

To everyone who had something negative to say to Denise Mackens you need to do some research before you start knocking kids. I can quote you his vitals of 6’1 190 lbs a 40 of 4.4 with a squat of 610 and yes that is legit. He also rushed for over 1300 yards and had over 550 yards receiving. Oh yeah it was only his first year playing running back and only second year playing football ever. When Missouri was #1 in the country the week they played Oklahoma there coaches were calling the office trying to get Walt up there, but Walt has a great support group that understands the NFL is not the only way for a young African American male to be successful. Adrian Peterson for the Bears went to 1-AA Ga Southern and turned down FLA along with many other schools. Wes Welker walked on at Texas Tech and now holds the record for most receptions in the super bowl. Jerry Rice the greatest receiver and maybe football player ever went to a division 2 school.

All this was said to say that what you should have got out of her statement was that anytime a kid gets his higher education paid for his primary focus should be on that higher education and the statistics prove that this is not the case.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
GSU can have their nineteen 7 star running backs, all you need i one good one. I certainly think Furman got a steal. http://youtube.com/watch?v=3CYbAIQAbnU

furman94
February 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Uh, this is another case where FCS gets *****ed upon! All the UGAyers are like "Oh yeah, Furman is football powerehouse!" Um, do your research and you'll find that FU is infact a football powerhouse in FCS, and they have beaten several of their BCS counterparts.

Saint3333
February 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Two neat things already standing out.

Daniel McFadden has a famous cousin who played running back at Arkansas (perhaps you've heard of him).

I like Walt Lenard already. Guy gets offers from Furman and App. Visits both. Then makes the only rational choice :)

He did make a good decision, ASU did not make him an offer to my knowledge. He does sound like a solid pickup though.

fuEMO
February 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
He did make a good decision, ASU did not make him an offer to my knowledge. He does sound like a solid pickup though.

Yes they did, at least that's what I heard from sources I trust. It's OK to lose a recruit to Furman. Hell we lost one to Woffy.

And by the way that was not Lenard's mom, Lenard's mother died when he was living in Miami. After his mother's death he moved to Atlanta to live with his aunt and cousin. I'm sure the woman posting was a very proud aunt.

Baldy
February 6th, 2008, 10:38 PM
GSU can have their nineteen 7 star running backs, all you need i one good one. I certainly think Furman got a steal. http://youtube.com/watch?v=3CYbAIQAbnU
Your hateful jealousy is even bleeding into your own thread. xlolx
Hilarious. xthumbsupx

Oh BTW, it would probably be a good idea to have 2 or 3 good RB's. What if your #1 gets injured? xeyebrowx

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hilarious. xthumbsupx

Oh BTW, it would probably be a good idea to have 2 or 3 good RB's. What if your #1 gets injured? xeyebrowx

Well Furman already has a nice group of running backs. Mike Brown averaged 6.5 yards a carry as a redshirt freshman. Jr. Stephone LaFrance is a big back with a lot of speed. Tank Baker is an extremely promising back signed last year. So Lenard has some time to develop further before he will get significant carries.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Hilarious. xthumbsupx

Youwouldknow beat me to it. Furman is stacked at running back. We just don't sign them all at one time. xsmiley_wix