PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Scrimmages between Monsoons

ngineer
April 23rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
I just got back from Lehigh's Brown & White Spring Scrimmage. The Lehigh Valley is getting pummeled with rain storms. About an inch and half fell this a.m. before the game at noon, thought most of the rain during the game was light and actually stopped for the second half. Skies opened up big time just after game ended with almost 2 more inches. Anyway, enough of the weather.
The best news was no injuries. Always a big concern in these things. Borda will be starting QB and looked very steady. The wide outs have stepped up their game significantly. Winfred Porter was catching everything near him, and the Walker, Thomas and Zeblium were also impressive.
Eric Rath is leading off at TB is says he's running possessed this year. His fumble in the Lafayette game last year that turned the tide is his huge motivation to 'make amends' this year.
Offensive line appears to need some seasoning after losing three starters, but they looked in good shape. 'Big' Jimmy Kehs as actually slimmed down from 305 to 285 and makes him much quicker.
Defense will stay aggressive. Royce Morgan was held out as he's still rehabing his leg from last year's bad break, but will definitely be ready in August. Cardwell, co-capt. and major hitter in the secondary played sparingly as he finishes rehabing his broken leg, as well.
Biggest question mark for the Mountain Hawks starting out this year will be special teams. PK's last year were very erratic and Matt McNelis left school, leaving the duties to Justin Musiek who transferred in from Rutgers last year. Musiek made all four of his attempts today ranging from 23-38 yards and in pregame hit from 45. Doesn't have the strong leg McNelis has or that predecessor Matt Douglas had, but consistencey is more important. Punting falls to Josh Mann who had several nice 40-45 yarders, but then had some mediocre ones, too. So the kicking game will be given some scrutiny.
However, the return teams for both KR and PR have a lot of potential. Lehigh usually is not known for speed, but we have a couple burners, now and that can make a difference.
We also got a glimpse of a very exciting future QB with Soph. Sedale Threatt showing blazing speed and quickness and a surprisingly good arm. His father played for the Philadelphia 76ers. Although listed at #4 on the chart--his presence on the field will make defenses switchup.
Considering the rain, a very good turnout of about 1,000. On a 'down' note, fans entering Goodman were faced with a sign that former co-captain of the great 2000 team, Brett Snyder (fullback) has been diagnosed with ALS. Normally, there is no admission charged for the Spring game, but people were asked to donate to a special fund for him because of anticipated significant medical expenses. Your prayers would also be welcomed.

colgate13
April 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Offensive line appears to need some seasoning after losing three starters, but they looked in good shape.

That sounds vaguely familar... skill positions on O back with some new faces on line. Their play, especially how quickly they come on with UD early, could be the key to your season IMO.

Fordham
April 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a good time, ng. Sorry about the weather, but that's a great turnout for monsoon like conditions.

What's the story behind the Rutgers transfer at K? Funny that he doesn't have the leg strength of his predecessor, given that he came from a (pretty much) I-A program.

We have our game coming up this weekend after our big Gridiron Club dinner on Friday night. Should be a great weekend.

ngineer
April 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a good time, ng. Sorry about the weather, but that's a great turnout for monsoon like conditions.

What's the story behind the Rutgers transfer at K? Funny that he doesn't have the leg strength of his predecessor, given that he came from a (pretty much) I-A program.

We have our game coming up this weekend after our big Gridiron Club dinner on Friday night. Should be a great weekend.

Yeah, I'm surprised, too, that his range is probably stretched at 45 yards. But I'd rather he be consistent from 40 on in than an erratic cannon. We have a frosh coming in, but I doubt he'll get thrown in, unless, Musiek reverts to last year's inconsistency.