PDA

View Full Version : Grambling's White Tiger

schmofstra
February 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
OK all you middle-aged AGSers (like me!:D ), who remembers the Bruce Jenner movie "Grambling's White Tiger"? I believe the movie came out in 1981 and may have been made for TV. It's the true story of the first white guy to play for an historically black college football team -- quarterback Jim Gregory.

Here's a recent story mentioning Gregory:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85153

Here an excerpt of the movie from back in the day:

http://www.videodetective.com/movies/GRAMBLINGS_WHITE_TIGER/trailer/P00795361.htm

schmofstra
February 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
And a sweetly written synopsis:

"His toughest battle is off the field.

Based on a true story. Jim Gregory is going to take some tough hits at Grambling College. He's Grambling's first white student, and the school's first white football player. Why would a promising quarterback from California come to an underfunded black college in Louisiana? Three words: Coach Eddie Robinson.

But Jim's hopes get sacked in a hurry. Scrambling to defend himself against racial discrimination on campus and bitter teammates at practice, Jim decides to punt. He asks another college for a scholarship and a spot on their team. But while they consider his request, Jim makes some friends and falls in love with a beautiful co-ed. Will he have the drive to stay at Grambling, or will he fumble his dreams? "

dbackjon
February 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Good flick!!

Fresno St. Alum
February 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Yo, the White Tiger teaches at Reedley High with me.I'm friends with him and his oldest son. I graduated from high school and juco with his oldest son who went on to play WR at S.Utah in the late 90's. I got Mr.C that story on Gregory. He been teaching pottery at Reedley high for over 30 years.xnodx

MACHIAVELLI
February 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Saw Jim when he came for Coach Robs funeral. I was in high school when they shot the White Tiger. They would invite the high school over for crowd scenes in the movie. One of the characters played on the TV show "White Shadow" And Dennis Haysart (sp) was on the president on "24" and in the current All State Commercials. The stadium that they shot the show in was recently torn down.

dbackjon
February 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Yo, the White Tiger teaches at Reedley High with me.I'm friends with him and his oldest son. I graduated from high school and juco with his oldest son who went on to play WR at S.Utah in the late 90's. I got Mr.C that story on Gregory. He been teaching pottery at Reedley high for over 30 years.xnodx

That's pretty cool!

OhioHen
February 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Three words: Coach Eddie Robinson.

Amen! xbowx xbowx xbowx

HIU 93
February 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I remember the movie. I LOVED it.