PDA

View Full Version : Diversity on Their Fields

CSN Log
February 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Diversity on Their Fields

The Washington Post weighs in on a new trend: some historically black colleges & universities are recruiting more white players for football.
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/02/03/PH2008020303062.jpgJoey Christine spent two years waiting for a scholarship offer. An All-Met offensive lineman at Sherando High in Stephens City, Va., Christine was regarded as one of the best high school football players in Virginia. But when his senior season ended, he still had no college offers.
The problem was his height – at 6 feet 2, he was considered short by typical standards for major college football linemen.
Then, in late December, Norfolk State University began pursuing him. Christine, who is white, had no idea Norfolk State is a historically black college or university. But after meeting the Spartans’ coaching staff and spending time with the players during his official visit last month, it was clear that Christine had found a home.
“The whole black-white thing never even entered my head,” said Christine, one of three white area players expected to sign with HBCUs on Wednesday. “I was just excited about the opportunity to play football in college, and to be able to play at a high level.”
Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=diversity-on-their-fields&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more441)

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Oops.

schmofstra
February 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
When the Schmofstras went to the Delaware-Delaware State playoff game, they were really surprised at how many white players Delaware State had.

But Papa Schmofstra is becoming a fossil. But before that, he hadn't been to a game involving a historically black school for about 20 years (Kentucky State-- great marching band!).

Anybody remember the movie "Grambling's White Tiger" starring Bruce Jenner as a (obviously) white guy who played for Grambling and struggled to fit in but eventually was accepted by his teammates? You have to be at least 40 years old to remember it. It was a true story.

Now it's commonplace. I suspect that, overall, these white guys end up having a nice experience at these historically black schools. Certainly they must learn a lot about race relations and probably come away with some unique relationships that build character.

I'm sure some people would argue that they are taking away roster spots from black players. It's for the institutions to decide whether this is OK. I suspect the coaches are just trying to find the best players they can get, just like all the other schools do.

schmofstra
February 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Here's the real guy who Bruce Jenner played in the movie, quarterback Jim Gregory:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85153

D1scout
February 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Diversity on Their Fields

The Washington Post weighs in on a new trend: some historically black colleges & universities are recruiting more white players for football.
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/02/03/PH2008020303062.jpgJoey Christine spent two years waiting for a scholarship offer. An All-Met offensive lineman at Sherando High in Stephens City, Va., Christine was regarded as one of the best high school football players in Virginia. But when his senior season ended, he still had no college offers.
The problem was his height – at 6 feet 2, he was considered short by typical standards for major college football linemen.
Then, in late December, Norfolk State University began pursuing him. Christine, who is white, had no idea Norfolk State is a historically black college or university. But after meeting the Spartans’ coaching staff and spending time with the players during his official visit last month, it was clear that Christine had found a home.
“The whole black-white thing never even entered my head,” said Christine, one of three white area players expected to sign with HBCUs on Wednesday. “I was just excited about the opportunity to play football in college, and to be able to play at a high level.”
Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=diversity-on-their-fields&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more441)

Since Joey is white and Norfolk is an historically black college is this an example of "Affirmative Action" in reverse!xlolx Is he their "token" minority or is this the result of federal and state money being tied to Affirmative Action on the part of black colleges like it was to white colleges and universities. Come to think of it, it won't be long when whites in this country will be in the minority. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just that I imagine a lot of whites are waiting to play the "race" card and look forward to Affirmative Action that so many were against in the past.xtwocentsx

Anyway, good for Joey, I am sure he will get a different perspective that will be of value to him when he finishes his college education.xthumbsupx