PDA

View Full Version : Montana, Montana State Seek Fresh Starts In Recruiting

CSN Log
February 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Montana, Montana State Seek Fresh Starts In Recruiting

The 2007 college football season in Montana was one for the record books - on and off the gridiron.
The University of Montana Grizzlies hammered out an undefeated regular season, won another Big Sky Conference regular-season title, and took their 15th consecutive trip to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.
Montana State University, for its part, put in a valiant effort, upending Portland State late in the season before losing to UM to finish with a respectable 6-5 record.
Never before has Montana football been so rocked - and never before have football fans been so critical of the athletes being recruited to represent the state’s largest universities on the playing field.
Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=montana-montana-state-seek-fresh-starts-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more440)

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
You can never beat us GreatAppSt. Assimilate. Assimilate.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Oops.

AZGrizFan
February 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
“The recruiting philosophy has changed,” said Peter Fields, MSU’s athletic director. “And I think the future is bright at both schools.”

i.e., White... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xnonono2x

Both schools are looking to fill their squads with fewer transfer students and with as many Montana kids as possible who can help them win Big Sky Conference and even national championships.

i.e., White... xcoolx xcoolx xnonono2x

Ronbo
February 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
The Montana Coaches are using a new ranking of a student athletes HS behavior on a 1-5 scale with 1 being the best well behaved student and 5 being the worst. They are not just talking to the HS Coach, they are questioning the Principle, the security person, the counselor, etc.

So far we have 23 recruits, 22 caucasian. I'm very dissappointed and disturbed by this trend but the University and the Regents have put the Coaches on notice and let them know their jobs are on the line.

AZGrizFan
February 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
The Montana Coaches are using a new ranking of a students HS behavior on a 1-5 scale with 1 being the best well behaved student and 5 being the worst. They are not just talking to the HS Coach, they are questioning the Principle, the security person, the counselor, etc.

So far we have 23 recruits, 22 caucasian. I'm very dissappointed and disturbed by this trend but the University and the Regents have put the Coaches on notice and let them know their jobs are on the line.

The implication that there are no black players who meet these new requirements is flat out embarrassing. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

montanafan
February 4th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I feel a lot of CYA going on. AZGriz you know that Montana is almost a 100% caucasian state and if the coaches are staying local to appease the Regents then recruits by default will be caucasian. I agree with you Ronbo that this is upsetting but the public has pushed the Regents and the Regents have intern pushed the coaches to this or loose thier jobs. Not cool. We will see if this method of recruiting will hold for long.

Ronbo
February 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM
We seem to be going out of state as much as we ever did. 13 out of state, 10 in state.

UPDATED 1-31-08

Cady, Tyzer RB/Ath Colstrip, MT 6-0 180

Cummings, Mike WR/S Scottsdale, AZ 6-1/191/4.59 (2 star)

DeBruycker, Raymond DE Raymond Choteau, MT 6-3 195

Donaldson, Beau RB Missoula, MT 6-2, 223

Douglas, Andrew LB San Clemente, CA 6-2, 225

Gratton, Sam WR Billings, MT 6-1 195 4.5 (1 Star)

Hardy, Greg Ath Fairview, MT 6-5 240

Harris, Josh DE Kalispell, MT 6-5/210

Homec, Eric DE Bozeman, MT 6-5 220

Hulse, Matt DT Chandler, AZ 6-4 260 5.0 (2 star)

Hunt, Jared DB/P Helena, MT 6-3 185

Kessman, Ryan WR BYU Transfer 6-0 190 4.6 (3 Star)

Kmet, Kyle OL San Diego, CA 6-4/310

Lisowski, Donny S/DB Seattle, WA 5-11 180 4.5 (2 Star)

Lebeau, Blake OL Union City, CA 6-5 270 5.3 (2 star)

Lipski, Matt OL Ashland, OR 6-8/360/5.7 (2 star)

McCord , Mike CB Pheonix, AZ 6-0/180/4.46 (1 Star)

McSurdy, Caleb LB Boise, ID 6-2/230/4.6 (2 star)

Moore, Dan RB Tuscon, AZ 5-11 210 4.6 (2 star)

Rabold, Brooks DL Billings, MT 6-3 205

Sambrano, Jabin WR/DB Temecula, CA 6-0 170 4.5

Stuberg, Josh WR/DB Helena, MT 6-2 185 4.59 (2 star)

Oppenrud, Jon OL Milwaukie, OR 6-7/280 (2 star)

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The Montana Coaches are using a new ranking of a student athletes HS behavior on a 1-5 scale with 1 being the best well behaved student and 5 being the worst. They are not just talking to the HS Coach, they are questioning the Principle, the security person, the counselor, etc.

Those are pretty unbelievable numbers. Of course, that SI hatchet job article last fall about Montana State talked about the desire of some folks to have the coaches focus on "home grown" in-state talent as well, especially by the woman that was interviewed for the article. I felt at that time that it was a code word for "fewer black people", and it is looking like it might be true.

Could it be that UM and MSU regents both read that SI article very closely and decided to follow its advice? If so, they've played right into this issue of lack of diversity.

Canyoncat
February 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
The implication that there are no black players who meet these new requirements is flat out embarrassing. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Your flat out wrong about his AZ. Most of MSU's Texas recruits are blacks. The high school O-Line recruite out of California is Asian/Samoan (I believe). I am not aware what the Griz are doing, but to come on and say both schools are only recruiting white kids is flat out wrong.

Ronbo
February 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Montana not MSU. Montana is using the 1-5 behavior ranking system not MSU.

Grizzaholic
February 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM

OK, I am so damn tired of this race card BS. So you are saying we should look not for the recruit that is top level or what we need for that year but for for the recruit that would make our team equal in every race? So 25 black, 25 white, 25 asian, 25 indian? It doesn't work that way and you should know that Ronbo. If we need some O-line people and we can get a white 4 star player or another player from another race that is a 2 star player who do you want playing for the Griz?

This happens every year in the NFL for coaching. I always thought teams wanted the best player, coach, trainer, and so on..... but not anymore.

The more people bring up the race issue the more it makes everyone seperated IMO.

AZGrizFan
February 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Your flat out wrong about his AZ. Most of MSU's Texas recruits are blacks. The high school O-Line recruite out of California is Asian/Samoan (I believe). I am not aware what the Griz are doing, but to come on and say both schools are only recruiting white kids is flat out wrong.

I was talking about UM's current commits. xthumbsupx

OB55
February 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Gee if everybody on the team looks the same, how will folks know which players are involved in future crimes? :p

Grizzaholic
February 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Gee if everybody on the team looks the same, how will folks know which players are involved in future crimes? :p

If they have their names on the back of their jerseys then you would know who is who. OR maybe if one can read he/she could know the players by those big numbers on their backs.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 4th, 2008, 01:10 PM

OB, what exactly is at the root of your Griz hatred? But to answer your question we're gonna have to get some of that new fangled DNA testing or something like that.

Grizzaholic
February 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
OB, what exactly is at the root of your Griz hatred? But to answer your question we're gonna have to get some of that new fangled DNA testing or something like that.

But don't you need electricity for that? We don't have any of that way up here in MT.

CrazyCat
February 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
But don't you need electricity for that? We don't have any of that way up here in MT.

It's in the "Quiet" Phase.:)

OB55
February 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

No hatred here for either program. You Cats and Griz do enough hating, I am on the sidelines. Also, both programs are on the front page all the time, since I read the Billings Gazette. Believe me, when the boys hit the news, I see it all as fast as you guys do.

Carry on!

Canyoncat
February 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I was talking about UM's current commits. xthumbsupx

Sorry AZ, I thought you were talking about both programs.

I really don't think UM or MSU is going after only white kids. As for UM's recruits, I think that is just the way it has developed this year. Looks weird, but I wouldn't read anything into it.

uofmman1122
February 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

No hatred here for either program. You Cats and Griz do enough hating, I am on the sidelines. Also, both programs are on the front page all the time, since I read the Billings Gazette. Believe me, when the boys hit the news, I see it all as fast as you guys do.

Carry on!Well, that just about says enough right there.

OB55
February 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
How many black people reside in Wyoming? xlolxxlolxxlolx

http://www.morethings.com/fan/blazing_saddles/blazing_saddles-cleavon_little.jpg

AZGrizFan
February 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM

http://www.morethings.com/fan/blazing_saddles/blazing_saddles-cleavon_little.jpg

What'd he say?

He said "The sherriff is near!" xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

NZNCRZY
February 4th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Ok Ronbo, what exactly do you mean by this last statement. You can’t honestly believe that the coaches are getting pressure to recruit only white players...

uofmman1122
February 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM

http://www.morethings.com/fan/blazing_saddles/blazing_saddles-cleavon_little.jpgYou'd do it for Randolph Scott.

patssle
February 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM
What races were all those Griz players that did all that bad stuff and broke the law?

patssle
February 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with recruiting just in-state. And in the end if the team happens to be all white if your state is majority white...there is nothing wrong with that.

GOKATS
February 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with recruiting just in-state. And in the end if the team happens to be all white if your state is majority white...there is nothing wrong with that.

In Montana there aren't enough FCS caliber kids to take care of one team and MSU and UM usually split the talent available- the rest come from out of state. I think both schools have had around 45 Montana kids on the roster the past few years which is actually pretty damn good considering Montana has less than a million population.

patssle
February 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ok, so the ranking system applies out of state right? If a black or white kid fails the ranking system...its not Montana's fault.

Ronbo
February 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ok Ronbo, what exactly do you mean by this last statement. You can’t honestly believe that the coaches are getting pressure to recruit only white players...

No not at all. They are under pressure to recruit kids with squeaky clean HS records and reputations. And guess what.

patssle
February 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
No not at all. They are under pressure to recruit kids with squeaky clean HS records and reputations. And guess what.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Artadius/ThatsRacist.gif

Ronbo
February 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Artadius/ThatsRacist.gif

You're full of it. I want more diversity and am very unhappy about this recruiting class. This staff isn't taking a kid if they have had any trouble at all. With this years recruiting, graduation, and arrests we have just 7 African Americans left on the team. That's a shame.

patssle
February 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
http://home.student.uu.se/hape2405/aabf18_sarcasm_detector.jpg

If black kids are failing the rating system...its not Montana's fault or up to them to go search for more black kids.

Just as long as the rating system is being consistent to both whites, blacks or any others.

CrazyCat
February 4th, 2008, 09:32 PM
The rating system is culturally biased.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Syntax Error
February 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
The rating system is culturally biased.You are 100% correct. xnodx

rancher griz
February 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think we have 3 verbals who are black. I really hope we are not discriminating. I believe a kid deserves a chance even if he has had a troubled past. I know that there have been several kids that have gone through our program that have had some issues growing up but ended up doing very well, athletically and scholastically, in college. Not saying that character shouldn’t count, but I believe it’s unfair to not give a kid a chance because he had a rough upbringing.

Ronbo
February 4th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I think we have 3 verbals who are black. I really hope we are not discriminating. I believe a kid deserves a chance even if he has had a troubled past. I know that there have been several kids that have gone through our program that have had some issues growing up but ended up doing very well, athletically and scholastically, in college. Not saying that character shouldn’t count, but I believe it’s unfair to not give a kid a chance because he had a rough upbringing.

Sambrano, Jabin WR/DB Temecula, CA 6-0 170 4.5

That's the only verbal. We have offered Shaw, Bland, and Jackson. All three are undecided and don't look too promising.

AZGrizFan
February 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM

Problem #1: with the number of times the Griz and CAts have been burned in the past few years, they can't take these chances like they used to...xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Green26
February 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Montana currently has 15 fewer black players on the roster than it had on June 1, 2007, due to completion of eligibility and legal problems. Montana has two black assistant coaches. There have been a number of black recruits in town on recruiting trips, including recent trips. Montana has and has had a few native american players on the team.

rancher griz
February 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I thought McCord and Hulse were black.

Ronbo
February 5th, 2008, 12:11 AM
You might be right about McCord and Hulse. Picture of McCord below. Can't find photo of Matt Hulse anywhere online. His Scout and Rivals pages have no photos.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/464565m.jpg

Edit: Found Matt Hulse's my space page.
Here's a photo, you are right.

http://a12.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/77/m_2c6862e93f5260e99882b64faeef9bcb.jpg

uofmman1122
February 5th, 2008, 12:29 AM
You might be right about McCord and Hulse. Picture of McCord below. Can't find photo of Matt Hulse anywhere online. His Scout and Rivals pages have no photos.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/464565m.jpg

Edit: Found Matt Hulse's my space page.
Here's a photo, you are right.

http://a12.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/77/m_2c6862e93f5260e99882b64faeef9bcb.jpgStalker much? xlolx ;)

Ronbo
February 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
No, but it's nice to know we have 3 African American players verballed instead of just one. Now if Louis Bland comes through I'll be much happier.

already123
February 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
haha

McNeese_beat
February 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I made a comment on another thread that would fit into this thread as well.

The gist of it is that when you wander out of the area where your coaching staff is strongly connected, then you run a greater risk of being "sold" on higher-risk prospects. I used an example of a California QB McNeese imported back in the late 1990s (maybe 2000 or so). Great tools, bad off-field habits. He was off the team in a year. The question was, why wasn't the kid in the Pac-10 or Fresno State? McNeese found the answer the hard way.

If the same kid played high school ball in Baton Rouge, chances are some area prep coaches, maybe the kid's own coach, would have called and said "hey, beware of that QB at Blank High. Good tools, but he's a bad kid." Nobody in the state would have been offering him then some C-USA school or a Big 10 school would have seen his film, fell in love with the tools, and signed him because they didn't know better.

Not that all kids from out of your area are bad kids. It's just that you have to really do your homework on them. Do you have a network of people there you can trust for honest assessments? If not, you're more likely to be sold a bill of goods, if not on the player's ability, definitely his character and make-up.

NZNCRZY
February 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
You are 100% correct. xnodx

I don’t have any information to disagree with you; however I am curious how you came up with this conclusion. I don’t know much about the rating system but from what I do know it appears pretty black and white to me. You either have been in trouble our you have not.

rancher griz
February 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Make that 4. Alex Shaw commited today.