PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good article about ASU's schedule in Charlotte Observer.

ERASU2113
February 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Not sure if it was posted earlier today or not. Sorry if it was.

ASU's win at Michigan a hindrance
DAVID SCOTT
[email protected]

Beating Michigan last season did many wondrous things for Appalachian State's football program. Making Jay Sutton's job easier was not one of them.

Sutton, an associate athletics director who handles the Mountaineers' football scheduling, is still searching for two more games for the 2008 season. Among them, he hopes, is at least one against an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A) opponent.

"There's been a little good, a little bad," Sutton said of the effect the Michigan victory has had on scheduling. "Let's just say we've come up a little short with getting some teams to look at us."

Appalachian State, a member of the Football Championship Subdivison (formerly I-AA), can schedule 12 games next season because of an extra week between the first Saturday of the season and Thanksgiving.

The Mountaineers already have their eight-game Southern Conference schedule set (the league is adding Samford), as well as nonconference games at James Madison and home against Presbyterian.

Appalachian State has played at least one FBS team every season since 1982, when the Southern Conference moved to the FCS.

Playing Appalachian State has not become an attractive option for most FBS teams. Before the 34-32 victory in Ann Arbor last September, the Mountaineers were coming off two straight FCS championships (they won a third in December) and had been competitive in losses against N.C. State and Louisiana State in recent seasons.

"Of course we don't want to play (Appalachian)," said one ACC coach who asked not to be named. "But it's not because I don't think we can beat them. You have to work too hard against them. When we play an (FCS) team, we want to play our starters for one quarter, get a lead, and get them out of there. That's not going to happen against Appalachian."

With FBS teams playing 12 games every season, many have scrambled to fill out their schedules. Some opponents come from the lower echelons of FBS or the FCS. But FBS teams generally only want one FCS opponent because only one of those games counts toward the six wins required to qualify for a bowl.

Appalachian State, in fact, already has games against FBS teams scheduled in future seasons: LSU (2009), Florida ('10), Virginia Tech ('11) and Georgia ('13).

Only a handful of FBS teams need games for next season. ACC teams, according to associate commissioner Mike Finn, have completed their schedules. Sutton said Georgia Tech, Florida State and North Carolina all declined to play Appalachian State.

In the SEC, LSU and Kentucky each still need a game. Because of the game they played in 2005 and the one scheduled for '09, Appalachian and LSU -- the NCAA's two defending Division I national champs -- obviously already have a relationship.

A few weeks after declining Appalachian State's offer late last year, North Carolina scheduled a game with McNeese State, an FCS power that was seeded second in last season's playoffs.

"That kind of hurt, hearing that," said Sutton.

Larry Gallo, North Carolina's senior associate athletics director, said coach Butch Davis prefers to play nonconference games against teams near or close to areas where he likes to recruit. McNeese State's Lake Charles, La., location isn't far from Texas, a recruiting target area for Davis.

There are substantial financial guarantees for the smaller programs in these kinds of games. Appalachian State, for instance, received $400,000 from Michigan last year.

But Sutton also thinks an Appalachian-North Carolina game would go beyond that, as it did two seasons ago when the Mountaineers lost at N.C. State.

"There's something to be said about two public schools from the same state playing each other," he said. "It seems like a positive thing. I think everybody got that sense walking off the field in Raleigh."

But then Sutton comes across something like this: He recently called an athletics director in the ACC about scheduling a game.

"He said it sounded pretty good and that he'd walk down the hallway and asked his coach," Sutton said. "He said he'd get back to me by the end of the day.

"He called back 15 minutes later. He just said, `Sorry.' "

ASU vs. FBS

Appalachian State's record against football bowl subdivision (formerly I-A) teams since 1982, when the Southern Conference moved to what was then known as NCAA Division I-AA:

TEAM REC
Auburn 0-1
Clemson 0-4
Hawaii 0-1
Kansas 0-1
Louisiana State 0-1
Marshall 0-1
Michigan 1-0
N.C. State 0-4
South Carolina 0-3
Virginia Tech 0-1
Wake Forest 6-11-1
Wyoming 0-1

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/475644.html

nwFL Griz
February 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
In the SEC, LSU and Kentucky each still need a game. Because of the game they played in 2005 and the one scheduled for '09, Appalachian and LSU -- the NCAA's two defending Division I national champs -- obviously already have a relationship.

Don't know where that guy gets his info but Kentucky's schedule has been filled for about 2 months.

Still a good article and highlights what I was saying in the ASU-LSU thread about why FBS teams schedule an FCS...a relatively inexpensive home win where the team can get the back-ups some PT.

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
the

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
log banished

GannonFan
February 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I still don't know why Appy runs into these scheduling issues seemingly every year - eventually you'd think they'd get a few years out scheduled and then the wouldn't run into these issues.

DLS
February 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
thats what they did but someone backed out. apparently backing out causes issues. go fig.

neersnbeers
February 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Don't know where that guy gets his info but Kentucky's schedule has been filled for about 2 months.
Still a good article and highlights what I was saying in the ASU-LSU thread about why FBS teams schedule an FCS...a relatively inexpensive home win where the team can get the back-ups some PT.

UK's 2008 Schedual
http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=39&url_article_id=16207&change_well_id=2

GannonFan
February 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
thats what they did but someone backed out. apparently backing out causes issues. go fig.

Maybe I missed it in the article, but who backed out? And that still doesn't explain why when they want 12 games they still have that extra to fill (i.e. 2 openings). And also why the same thing happened last year and the year before that. And I assume why it will happen next year too. :o

The Moody1
February 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Maybe I missed it in the article, but who backed out? And that still doesn't explain why when they want 12 games they still have that extra to fill (i.e. 2 openings). And also why the same thing happened last year and the year before that. And I assume why it will happen next year too. :o

We were supposed to play Georgia in '08. They backed out for an ESPN game and the game was moved to '13.

GannonFan
February 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM
We were supposed to play Georgia in '08. They backed out for an ESPN game and the game was moved to '13.

Gracias.

DLS
February 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
it was a Carolina team i believe, have to check to see which one. but you are right in saying something seems to happen every year concerning our schedule. the program has always delivered tho. if we do end up having trouble next season hopefully its due to the LSU game getting bumped to 08.

AshevilleApp2
February 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I can't comment on last year, but in 2005 Northwestern State was supposed to come to Boone for the second game of a home and home, but they backed out. We only had four regular season home games that year.

already123
February 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
"Of course we don't want to play (Appalachian)," said one ACC coach who asked not to be named. "But it's not because I don't think we can beat them. You have to work too hard against them. When we play an (FCS) team, we want to play our starters for one quarter, get a lead, and get them out of there. That's not going to happen against Appalachian."

I love this quote!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SoCon48
February 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I still don't know why Appy runs into these scheduling issues seemingly every year - eventually you'd think they'd get a few years out scheduled and then the wouldn't run into these issues.

ASU doesn't have West Chester Community College written in every year.
In addition the fanbase used to blame the former AD until the new one came in, now they blame it on circumstances.

KiddBrewer
February 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM

backouts.

already123
February 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
We still have an opening or 2....rematch?

App owes us a home gamexthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
February 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I love this quote!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Agreed. That was my favorite part of the article.

APPride
February 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
We still have an opening or 2....rematch?

App owes us a home gamexthumbsupx

I think this would be a great game and one ASU should consider, especially since you guys made the effort. :) I would try and make the trip, I really would like to visit northern AZ...xthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
February 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think this would be a great game and one ASU should consider, especially since you guys made the effort. :) I would try and make the trip, I really would like to visit northern AZ...xthumbsupx

I would love to see it happen as well but the way I understood the agreement is that it was never a home and home b/c NAU didn't want it. I could be wrong and like I said I would love to see a rematch.

already123
February 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
That doesnt make sense to me. why WOULDNT NAU want a home and home? who wouldnt want to play APP in a home game? I think this is a great opportunity for both schools. However, from the way the fans, players, and coaches reacted after the game last year....Im not sure they want to play NAU at home this year. (not saying ASU back down from anyone...)

JohnStOnge
February 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Larry Gallo, North Carolina's senior associate athletics director, said coach Butch Davis prefers to play nonconference games against teams near or close to areas where he likes to recruit. McNeese State's Lake Charles, La., location isn't far from Texas, a recruiting target area for Davis.

What? He doesn't recurit North Carolina?

AshevilleApp2
February 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
What? He doesn't recurit North Carolina?

Can't compete with Tennessee here. In fairness though, Louisiana seems to be a football recruiting hotbed. I remember Michigan used to recruit there with great success.

CID1990
February 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
In the record section of the article, it shows ASU's record vs. Marshall as 0-1. This must be since the Turd went to FBS, since that isn't correct for the record since 1982.

JohnStOnge
February 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Can't compete with Tennessee here. In fairness though, Louisiana seems to be a football recruiting hotbed. I remember Michigan used to recruit there with great success.

Louisiana is indeed a hotbed...as is Texas (which McNeese is very close to). But North Carolina is up there too. Here's a link to an article on where NFL talent comes from from a few years ago:

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=259347

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
In the record section of the article, it shows ASU's record vs. Marshall as 0-1. This must be since the Turd went to FBS, since that isn't correct for the record since 1982.
That is correct. They were showing our record vs FBS schools therefore only counting the Turd once they went to FBS.